• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

cdyhybrid

It's cool for a dagger, I guess. No dagger will look as good as a larger weapon IMO. I'm super salty about our weapon not being a staff.
It fits the #fantasy pretty well, I think. Twilight cultists would probably use daggers for their human sacrifices to the Old Gods.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I started listening to Valkyrie Profile music and it cemented my choice of Warrior main for this expansion. For Odyn! For Valhalla!

(Still gonna play my DK and Pally a lot tho)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when did they change it so green chests only drop bracers, belts and boots?

edit: and why am I only getting a agi chest when im balance spec (and got the loot for curent). in fact why is the chest fixed stat and not agi/int depending on spec like the rest of the gear? bug?

Apathy

You should have seen PVP in the old days, before arena's and all. Invasions with the people all out is basically what it was like, only everyone was trying to kill the other side.

I'm an oldtimer from vanilla, i am quite aware of the xcroads frighting and running to get to your alt. that was panic this is organized running in and logging in and out makes it funnier

Did 9 levels yesterday in 2 hours, hoping to keep that pace at least

mileS

Is there a website or some pics uploaded somewhere on the difference between particle density settings? I feel stupid for saying this but I find it hard to tell the difference on some things. That and most of my google searches leave me with nothing or something from 6 years ago. It's a very taxing setting for my old pc. On top of that I still get that annoying bug that randomly changes all my settings to ultra after changing a setting. This makes testing the different settings a chore.

I find myself tweaking settings and doing framerate tests more than playing the actual game lately so any semi recent guides or advice will help me :)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I wish Vrykul were playable.
They probably will be eventually to counter whenever Naga are added* to whichever faction

*A misunderstood offshoot of Naga with feet

PepperedHam

Are the invasions still decent leveling without heirlooms? Came back to the game poorer in gold than I remembered and there ain't no way in hell I'm upgrading these things to 100.

I will engage in world pvp, when players from the opposite faction try to troll a quest hub like Vol'jin's Pride. I don't like griefing but I have no problem fighting griefers.

Magnus

It fits the #fantasy pretty well, I think. Twilight cultists would probably use daggers for their human sacrifices to the Old Gods.

Fair enough!

So what's the consensus on how classes feel going into next week? Here's what I've gathered from this thread:

Priests: Disc wonky, Holy great, Shadow awesome
Warlock: Demo apparently awful, other specs serviceable but boring
Mage: Fire is awesome, other specs unknown
Druid: unknown
DH: Strong all around, Havoc really fun
Rogue: Outlaw really fun. Other specs unknown.
Monk: Mistweaver and WW great. Brew unknown
Hunter: All specs (or just MM?) feel solid but overly pruned?
Shaman: Enhancement is fantastic. Other specs unknown.
Paladin: Solid but boring (all specs)
Warrior: overly pruned? Unknown
Death Knight: Frost feels awesome but is underperforming?

iammeiam

when did they change it so green chests only drop bracers, belts and boots?

edit: and why am I only getting a agi chest when im balance spec (and got the loot for curent). in fact why is the chest fixed stat and not agi/int depending on spec like the rest of the gear? bug?

The leather INT chest is bugged and always says Agility; from what I've read if you equip and unequip it and check the INT stat on the character sheet, it should actually be impacting INT despite saying AGI.

Lanrutcon

Fair enough!

So what's the consensus on how classes feel going into next week? Here's what I've gathered from this thread:

Druid: Feral is ok, but ain't breaking any new ground or smashing any records. New Balance is sweet. No more phases of the moon bullshit.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The leather INT chest is bugged and always says Agility; from what I've read if you equip and unequip it and check the INT stat on the character sheet, it should actually be impacting INT despite saying AGI.

thanks, im not fussed anyway. Im not really going to play the character lol. Although, druids can use 2h maces right? thats another chance at the rag mace!

cdyhybrid

Unholy should be pretty good.

Assassination is strong single target out of the gate, but apparently it falls off and gets passed by Sub once you get gear?

SolVanderlyn

Fair enough!

Frost Mage is still fun and has its uses as a crowd control spec, making it feel unique

Vengeance DHs seem a bit hard to learn, but also like very fun and mobile tanks.

Survival Hunter is like Frost DK: VERY cool and fun, "feels" great, middling performance

Prot Paladin isn't boring, per say, but the Consecration mechanic makes it feel limited compared to others tanks (IMO). Blood DKs have the similar Death and Decay mechanic, but also about two-three more things to do while tanking.

Elemental Shaman are fun, overall a good casting class to play

Fury Warriors are better than they have ever been. Animations feel smooth, class fantasy is on point, you're always doing something. Performance wise, I dunno how they compare to before - I've heard some complaints (what class hasn't complained?) - but they seem like they're in a slightly better place than Frost DKs

Apathy

Fair enough!

Hunter is boring, but ok. MM specifically. BM is worse in terms of how dumbed down it is. Survival they just took stuff from other classes and jammed it together

Tenebrous

Fair enough!

Vengeance DH is boring as shit (I've tried it on the beta as well as live).
Guardian Druid is amazing.
Brewmaster Monk is fun.
Prot Warrior is strong, but dull.
Blood DK is strongish, but dullish.

Rhaknar

Basically there is no consensus because we all have different opinions :p

Except for Locks :(

Sölf

Got all weapons! :D

Now I will probably level up my hunter to 100. If I still have time and will I may also level up my Rogue. Hunter is 83, the Rogue 75.

Prot warrior I found somewhat fun.

Blood DK was boring as all fuck though.

Warlocks and Hunters were turned to complete unredeemable garbage, but the rest of the classes feel decent enough bugs aside.

Arms can be super fucking infuriating though when rng says lolno colossus smash proc for you, the charge PVP talent will help at least, but in PVE it's always going to be fucking annoying.

carlsojo

Every time I play Outlaw I just have a fucking blast. I get addicted to rerolling the bones. It's really, really tempting me to main a rogue.

Nere

I'm just going to power through this expansion as a Warlock and hope for the best as demo. I've been a Lock main since I started (Wrath) and can't stop now. The more I play it, the more I enjoy Demo, but that's not saying much. I hated it at first. I am hoping the artifact helps some and damage ends up decent. Otherwise I will go back Destro.

Same don't care what others say.

Tacitus_

Fair enough!

Destros biggest faults are the RNG and the clunkiness, part of which comes from said RNG. You can generate 1 shard every 12 secs before haste, + RNG procs from your dot and everything requires it. Your main nuke, your AOE, resummoning a dead pet (gotta hardcast too!) and DPS cooldowns. Oh and the mastery is literally "do a random amount more damage". Before Legion, only the nuke + some utility spells cost Embers - which you could generate rather predictably.

Yes, I'm cranky.

Fury warriors are pretty fun to play, but the +dmg taken from Enrage is.. odd. Dunno how they'll do at cap.

Negator

Every time I play Outlaw I just have a fucking blast. I get addicted to rerolling the bones. It's really, really tempting me to main a rogue.

Was shocked at how much fun I was having. Quick Draw procs feel so satisfying.

Cant wait for the Blunderbuss trait to make it hit like a truck.

Rokal

Vengeance DH is boring as shit (I've tried it on the beta as well as live).
Guardian Druid is amazing.
Brewmaster Monk is fun.
Prot Warrior is strong, but dull.
Blood DK is strongish, but dullish.

I'm weirded out by the random praise I've seen for Legion Brewmaster here and elsewhere, as someone who mained the spec for the last two expansions. We went from having 7-8 useful abilities and mechanics to keep track of in MoP/WoD, to having 2 useful abilities to keep track of in Legion... that share the same 16s cooldown... and one of them (purify) is just an old ability nerfed to be half as effective...

I logged into my Brewmaster to run some Mythic dungeons and couldn't believe how much they stripped away from the spec. I couldn't even fill a single bar with useful abilities, and what was left was just shadows of formerly fun abilities. Sure, Guard and Expel Harm had gotten too strong in those last few tiers of WoD and removed a lot of the thrill from tanking and healing, but the strength of and mix of abilities in MoP and early WoD was perfect.

Outside of watching Stagger and deciding to use Purify or Ironskin Brew, none of the abilities you press in Legion feel like they matter at all, and only serve to keep you busy and do mediocre DPS.

This is the spec design people are praising? Am I playing a different game than everyone else or something?

Tarazet

As far as caster DPS goes, it's hard to gripe about hurting for choices.

Fire Mage is great and the other specs are okay.

Elemental Shaman looks amazing, feels good, apparently is so-so in Legion but it usually takes a patch or two for them to shine.

Shadow Priest is really good, it's like a correctly executed version of the old Metamorphosis.

Balance Druid is simple and predictable, no procs and only one major cooldown.

Only the Warlock specs really seem to be causing a lot of grief. They are still ridiculously survivable, provide indispensable utility, and solo content as well as tank classes, but apparently that's not fun enough.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm weirded out by the random praise I've seen for Legion Brewmaster here and elsewhere, as someone who mained the spec for the last two expansions. We went from having 7-8 useful abilities and mechanics to keep track of in MoP/WoD, to having 2 useful abilities to keep track of in Legion... that share the same 16s cooldown... and one of them (purify) is just an old ability nerfed to be half as effective...

I logged into my Brewmaster to run some Mythic dungeons and couldn't believe how much they stripped away from the spec. I couldn't even fill a single bar with useful abilities, and what was left was just shadows of formerly fun abilities. Sure, Guard and Expel Harm had gotten too strong in those last few tiers of WoD and removed a lot of the thrill from tanking and healing, but the strength of and mix of abilities in MoP and early WoD was perfect.

Outside of watching Stagger and deciding to use Purify or Ironskin Brew, none of the abilities you press in Legion feel like they matter at all, and only serve to keep you busy and do mediocre DPS.

This is the spec design people are praising? Am I playing a different game than everyone else or something?

I really hate the Ironskin Brew + Purifying Brew mechanic. It's just not fun.

I'm really enjoying playing a Monk right now, Brewmaster in particular. All three specs feel like they're in a pretty good place, even without their artifacts. The only real downside I see to Monk is the dps spec is melee, but I don't care, it's fun as hell to play.

Tarazet

I think Blackout Combo is something you've overlooked. You can use it to do more ST DPS, AoE DPS, pause your Stagger damage for 3 seconds, pull in a charge of your brews, it's up to you how you use it and it does have a noticeable effect if you do it consistently.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Fair enough!

mage is largely the same (good, bad or indifferent)

only hunter that was crazy pruned was BM which is like 4 buttons now. for all situations. survival hunter is pretty damn fun. possibly one of the top 3 changes this xpac along with spriest and enh shaman.

elemental shaman is fine if you're ok with being good but not topping the charts. resto shaman is probably the most versatile healer currently.

warrior is glass half full or empty, depending. if you liked 6000 buttons, half empty. if reducing down to a reasonable hotbar makes the class now desirable to you, half full.

Arksy

I'm a huge, huge fan of druids right now. Every.goddamn.spec.

I main tank and Guardian is a god damn blast to play...so many mitigation choices. I hope they're viable come legion because god damn I am so happy to play this thing.

I'm really enjoying balance as well, it's so much fun in pvp. The rotation isn't overly complex but once you get into it, the spec is so damn fast that you get into a really nice rhythm with it that feels awesome...plus I'm eagerly awaiting being able to crash moons into people.

Resto I feel is the one that is lacking the most due to the complete lack of emergency heals aside from swiftmend...but it has amazing throughput hps.

Feral feels rock solid. It's been great in pvp. So much fun.

I want to like Demo lock but it sucks

Destro is boring. Hate how they switched everything up on me. Can't have Backdraft and Shadowburn. Cataclysm is in the same tier as Reverse Entropy so thats a no go. Shadowfury is in the same tier as Demon Skin. Eradication is generally better then Fire and Brimstone and Dark Soul but those can still be used. Dark Pact is almost always better then Burning Rush save for running old content. It just feels like I've lost half my abilities.

Affliction I've never preferred but might have to do that.

Aeana

Well, honestly, you just described the changes to every class. All of them are stripped down in terms of abilities. Brewmaster is now much easier to play for the average person, which is why you're seeing more praise for it. With that said, I think there's still a higher skill cap there than with some of the other tanks.

Arksy

Yeah, what Aeana said pretty much goes for every tank right now, seemingly except guardian druid, which has been simplified in buttons but become more complicated in decision making, which for me is perfect.

Warriors tanks literally have about two useful buttons. Press your rage generator so you can hit ignore pain. Done. It's so damn dull.

Panthers

I want to like Demo lock but it sucks

Destro is boring. Hate how they switched everything up on me. Can't have Backdraft and Shadowburn. Cataclysm is in the same tier as Reverse Entropy so thats a no go. Shadowfury is in the same tier as Demon Skin. Eradication is generally better then Fire and Brimstone and Dark Soul but those can still be used. Dark Pact is almost always better then Burning Rush save for running old content. It just feels like I've lost half my abilities.

Affliction I've never preferred but might have to do that.

The only great thing about destro is Wreak Havoc. Going to be super strong on cleave fights. Otherwise it feels VERY WoTLK.

Bregor

Unholy should be pretty good.

Assassination is strong single target out of the gate, but apparently it falls off and gets passed by Sub once you get gear?

Current simming shows outlaw and assassination neck in neck at 840 with outlaw having a slight lead. This lead isn't enough to counter the RNG of outlaw in some peoples opinion. Sub is behind both of them.

Tamanon

Banned
Oh man, Blingtron's Secret Vault is now the saddest husk of an old quest.

It only awards a Follower Weapon enhancement now. :/

Xeteh

As unhappy as I am with warlocks it will never be as bland as late BC was for the class. Sacrifice a Succubus, put up a Curse (Doom if you're lucky) and spam Shadow Bolt. Life Tap as needed.

iirate

As far as caster DPS goes, it's hard to gripe about hurting for choices.

Fire Mage is great and the other specs are okay.

Elemental Shaman looks amazing, feels good, apparently is so-so in Legion but it usually takes a patch or two for them to shine.

Shadow Priest is really good, it's like a correctly executed version of the old Metamorphosis.

Balance Druid is simple and predictable, no procs and only one major cooldown.

Only the Warlock specs really seem to be causing a lot of grief. They are still ridiculously survivable, provide indispensable utility, and solo content as well as tank classes, but apparently that's not fun enough.

Thank you. I know this thread is down on warlocks right now, and I understand that the changes may have made the class unrecognizable to its vets, but Legion is the first time I've ever had fun playing the class. I got my lock to 100 this week and she may end up being my primary alt(or even my main if raiding as resto/ele doesn't work out).

Fire mage is fun and by far the most powerful caster in the game right now, but I just keep coming back to my lock.

th3dude

Anyone have any inside info on how I can snag a moose mount? Horde US (~700 ilvl)

Returning player, not in a raiding guild and don't have much gold (only 10k to my name) to spend on a carry.

Top Bottom