• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
last invasion quest should be later today right?

Mitch

Banned
There's nothing I'm missing out on by doing 90-100 through invasions and never setting foot in Draenor, right?

Also, is battle.net down for anyone else?
It's down for me, yeah.

To be honest, if you haven't done anything in Draenor, you may want to level through the zones at least once. Personally, it was a fun leveling experience. Leveling through invasions will net you a bunch of loot and a pretty unique experience.

Sarcasm

There's nothing I'm missing out on by doing 90-100 through invasions and never setting foot in Draenor, right?

Down for maintenance.

And you should really level. I enjoyed my time. Even though when I did it non-invasion and non-heirloom I only went through 3 zones. I still finished every zone though. I started like 8 days ago (resubbbb).

FeD.nL

Boosted my DK to 100. My last experience with the class was 2H Frost tanking in early Wrath...really early Wrath. Needless to say that things have changed.

The funny thing is the massive simplification may have been what it took to get me to actually try Unholy. I've never played a pet class in any MMO because I hate having something not under my direct control at all times, but now I have so many free keybinds I was able to bind enough of the abomination's abilities to make it usable.

After figuring out keybindings I spent some time doing the invasion events and trying out every spec. Frost in particular seems extremely simple but obviously I haven't really tested my DPS yet. Unholy, I need a good buff/debuff tracker badly...will find something tonight.

I did enough of the events to get the full Fel set and I maxed out the 2h mace. I don't understand what they were thinking with the 1h axes, how is it fair that I'd have to get 12 of the upgrade material vs 6? As a result I don't really know how my Frost dps compares. I did get two of the 1h axes though. Also, Unholy seems by far the easiest to survive those invasions with - Blood pulls too much aggro (nobody heals) and Frost doesn't have the survivability. I still feel like if I even TRY to do real damage to a demon lord boss I pull aggro and get faceplanted instantly.

The funny thing is I had no context for item level anymore as it's been so long since I last played. I think I'm 699 right now entirely the invasion event gear (one green ring, some warforged pieces). My druid had been farming a significant portion of Mythic Foundry almost right up to the Hellfire Citadel patch and had great gear for the time. Turns out my druid's gear is almost the same item level as my DK after one day. Also, druid's inventory is an absolute fucking nightmare, ZERO item slots and like 500 salvage crates I was too lazy to open. Welp...

The things I would do to get 2h frost tanking back. Why couldn't DK's just be the tank version of priest, 2 tank specs (blood/frost), 1 dps spec (unholy). With Blood being exactly the same as it is now, and frost more a traditionally tank that instead of a shield uses frost to reinforce his armor.

In my mind frost is would still be my ideal tanking spec. Ah well, it'll never come back..

M.D

It's down for me, yeah.

To be honest, if you haven't done anything in Draenor, you may want to level through the zones at least once. Personally, it was a fun leveling experience. Leveling through invasions will net you a bunch of loot and a pretty unique experience.

Down for maintenance.

And you should really level. I enjoyed my time. Even though when I did it non-invasion and non-heirloom I only went through 3 zones. I still finished every zone though. I started like 8 days ago (resubbbb).

Sorry, I didn't mean to say I never set foot in Draenor, just specifically for this character ;s
Thanks guys.

Entropia

No One Remembers
So what are weakauras? Buff addon?

It can be. You can make it do a lot of things.

Like, you can have it show the icon of one of your cooldowns only in combat, and when you use it it will show the duration of the buff, and then show you the cooldown timer. Guardian Druid Example from reddit
v4YaP6p.gif

Mitch

Banned
Sorry, I didn't mean to say I never set foot in Draenor, just specifically for this character ;s
Thanks guys.
No problem. Makes your decision even easier!

All you'll really miss out on is the terrible Garrison portion of leveling.

@DDoS attacks - Legion launch is going to be affected by these. Guaranteed. :(

Entropia

No One Remembers
The things I would do to get 2h frost tanking back. Why couldn't DK's just be the tank version of priest, 2 tank specs (blood/frost), 1 dps spec (unholy). With Blood being exactly the same as it is now, and frost more a traditionally tank that instead of a shield uses frost to reinforce his armor.

In my mind frost is would still be my ideal tanking spec. Ah well, it'll never come back..

Yeah, that's one thing that was awesome about the old talent trees, and how it interacted with DKs, is that all three could be tanks. Though inevitably one became better than the other.

Mupod

I think Weakauras was what I was using last time I played on my moonkin. I had very little time to get acclimated to the game before I was thrown into raiding so it was nice having a bit of help.

I'd completely forgotten what it was called and I had deleted my wow folder. I'll have to look into it for DK for debuff tracking.

Lomax

just bought the mats to make steel golem (cheapily enough I thought, 18k for the 30 living steels and the 300 ghost iron bars), the fucking ghost iron part has a daily cooldown.

Kill me

Yeah, that's why the Sky Golem still has a decent profit margin. Doing that cooldown every day and popping out a mount once a month was probably my best money maker the last six months (other than garrison gold of course).

Mupod

Yeah, that's one thing that was awesome about the old talent trees, and how it interacted with DKs, is that all three could be tanks. Though inevitably one became better than the other.

on the one hand as a longtime tank player I thought that was cool as hell. On the other hand it was a big old clusterfuck.

And yeah I don't remember a lot from back then but I think Unholy was hands down the best at the time. I just really liked how Frost played especially in 5-10 man stuff. My friends are all unstoppable DPS monsters so playing 2h frost tank was like having to think 10 moves ahead of them in order to stay in control. Any lapse in rune management meant trouble but once I could play without panicking I was doing tons of damage and always holding aggro. Them big howling blast crits.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If you have character with tailoring, you could use it to make hexweave bags. That's about it.

I'm so over Garrisons that I can't even put in the minimal effort for that.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
What changed with salvage crates?

The Big Crates have been replaced by Large Crates and the new ones only have resources, mats, and the transmog items that vendor for like 5c.

No longer have a chance to drop player gear (never was high ilevel, just old stuff and 610s for xmog)
That old stuff included things removed from the game entirely and really hard to find items.

Mitch

Banned
I'm so over Garrisons that I can't even put in the minimal effort for that.
With you on that one. Even before the prepatch, I was barely doing anything with mine. Once the prepatch was out, I finished off any remaining missions and happily left.

Jag

So I can get to the character screen and loading screen, but as soon as the world comes up I get an "access violation" crash.

People on Reddit think the DDOS is doing something with the server side fixes that haven't been patched in yet (the 2-3 second wait while things load).

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
So I can get to the character screen and loading screen, but as soon as the world comes up I get an "access violation" crash.

People on Reddit think the DDOS is doing something with the server side fixes that haven't been patched in yet (the 2-3 second wait while things load).

Looks like its time to go rare hunting.

cdyhybrid

Every time I try to enter the world now I get a fatal error. Is this because of the DDOS attacks?

Ah okay, so it's not just me.

And of course the forums are down =\

Tenebrous

The last prequest is today, right?

Willing to share your WAs? Been messing around with some different ones for guardian. Would love to check 'em out.

Sure thing... How?

I know of that Wago.io site & Pastebin, but which is easiest, and as it contains code from someone else for FR, how do I not get in trouble for it?
Edit: Could link in game if EU.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area

if you've NEVER done Draenor? Do Draenor. The actual experience of it is phenomenal. Honestly in terms of continual story Draenor is probably better than Cata and Panda.

As for ANY of the end game in Draenor.. no.

Sölf

if you've NEVER done Draenor? Do Draenor. The actual experience of it is phenomenal. Honestly in terms of continual story Draenor is probably better than Cata and Panda.

Yeah, this. Draenor had the best leveling experience so far. And even the first few weeks at max level were awesome. But Apexis got boring fast. And besides that there was nothing outside.

So, do Draenor at least once.

Mitch

Banned

Sölf;214695285 said:
Yeah, this. Draenor had the best leveling experience so far. And even the first few weeks at max level were awesome. But Apexis got boring fast. And besides that there was nothing outside.

So, do Draenor at least once.
He said in a later post that he had already done Draenor.

cdyhybrid

Running the 32-bit client appears to prevent the fatal error. I'm also seeing people suggest deleting the Cache folder, but I tried that and it didn't work.

Mitch

Banned
Thank god I'm at work. I won't feel as anxious to play if this is going on next Tuesday while I'm stuck in the office.

Magnus

I'm on right now (having logged on like an hour ago) - no problems. Is it that bad trying to get on right now?

Also, how in the world are you guys doing invasions at level 10....the time to fly and get there, and the lack of a flying mount makes this seem like a slow way to go. Is it really worth it compared to just traditional questing at lower levels?

Mupod

What do you get for the next stage of the Legion questline? I got those Dalaran gloves yesterday and then it seemed to just abruptly stop.

Alright, I got sucked into the hype: I resubbed after being out for years, and bought Legion. Rolled a DH and am loving the opening zone so far.

I'm going to play around with my Worgen MM Hunter, which was my main for years.

I'm thinking of using my boost on a Druid, and going Guardian spec (I love bears). Seems to be pretty top tier for tanking, and always in demand for PVE groups, is that correct?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'm on right now (having logged on like an hour ago) - no problems. Is it that bad trying to get on right now?

Also, how in the world are you guys doing invasions at level 10....the time to fly and get there, and the lack of a flying mount makes this seem like a slow way to go. Is it really worth it compared to just traditional questing at lower levels?

you do stages 1 and 2, then log out. I did find that doing stage 3 also before logging out isn't that bad. there seems to be enough mobs spawning in the gathering area.. and usually only 5-10 lowbies sticking around.. so at 37 I was still getting like 800-2000 xp per mob.

when you log out (at say stage 3) and log back in, the invasion is reset. So you do all of the stages over again. You don't get the stage clear bonus or the loot boxes, but you still get the decent XP for the first wave, the hefty XP for the second wave (at 38 about 1/2-2/3 level just for that wave alone) and then the decent XP for the third wave. I am usually getting about a level per login doing it this way.

then the two things to remember.. complete stage 4 before you finish or before the invasion goes away (every two hours). Don't want to miss out on that XP. Also, you only have to do this until level 60. Then you get flight (you need both flying and old world flight master) and can do invasions like normal.

Lanrutcon

Alright, I got sucked into the hype: I resubbed after being out for years, and bought Legion. Rolled a DH and am loving the opening zone so far.

I'm going to play around with my Worgen MM Hunter, which was my main for years.

I'm thinking of using my boost on a Druid, and going Guardian spec (I love bears). Seems to be pretty top tier for tanking, and always in demand for PVE groups, is that correct?

Yup, everyone loves tanks and healers.

And there is going to be a ton of groups going "lf tank NO DH".

The funny thing is the massive simplification may have been what it took to get me to actually try Unholy. I've never played a pet class in any MMO because I hate having something not under my direct control at all times, but now I have so many free keybinds I was able to bind enough of the abomination's abilities to make it usable.

Unholy and Frost were simplest in WOTLK.

But even thought I did prefer in back then, frost as DPS and Blood as tank, I'd love to still be able to mess around as blood dps and frost tank.

Robin64

I thought the next step was just to blink Dalaran to the Broken Isles? Is there a significant chunk that we're getting this week, or is it just a couple quests?

There's only a small amount of "stuff" between where our questline ended already and blinking Dalaran to the Broken Isles.

You have to destroy some magic anomalies around Dalaran, which takes about 3 minutes.

Mitch

Banned
I thought the next step was just to blink Dalaran to the Broken Isles? Is there a significant chunk that we're getting this week, or is it just a couple quests?
From what I remember we were supposed to get a quest each week. Which would be two chains.

There's only a small amount of "stuff" between where our questline ended already and blinking Dalaran to the Broken Isles.

You have to destroy some magic anomalies around Dalaran, which takes about 3 minutes.
This sounds about right.

Top Bottom