• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Magnus

you do stages 1 and 2, then log out. I did find that doing stage 3 also before logging out isn't that bad. there seems to be enough mobs spawning in the gathering area.. and usually only 5-10 lowbies sticking around.. so at 37 I was still getting like 800-2000 xp per mob.

when you log out (at say stage 3) and log back in, the invasion is reset. So you do all of the stages over again. You don't get the stage clear bonus or the loot boxes, but you still get the decent XP for the first wave, the hefty XP for the second wave (at 38 about 1/2-2/3 level just for that wave alone) and then the decent XP for the third wave. I am usually getting about a level per login doing it this way.

then the two things to remember.. complete stage 4 before you finish or before the invasion goes away (every two hours). Don't want to miss out on that XP. Also, you only have to do this until level 60. Then you get flight (you need both flying and old world flight master) and can do invasions like normal.

Hmm...the relogging thing borders on exploit, no? Has Blizzard commented on this?

cdyhybrid

Alright, I got sucked into the hype: I resubbed after being out for years, and bought Legion. Rolled a DH and am loving the opening zone so far.

I'm going to play around with my Worgen MM Hunter, which was my main for years.

I'm thinking of using my boost on a Druid, and going Guardian spec (I love bears). Seems to be pretty top tier for tanking, and always in demand for PVE groups, is that correct?

They're generally considered the best tank right now, going forward. Plus, if that ever stops being the case, you have three other specs to try :p

ViciousDS

Banned
Hmm...the relogging thing borders on exploit, no? Has Blizzard commented on this?

if they did.....it would probably be almost 65% of the folks doing invasions....almost everyone after phase 2 can be seen bolting to the inn in Dun to log out.....thats a lot of subscribers.

They didn't fix it during the hotfix/maintenance did they? Been planning on using this method till launch lol. Get some characters I never even thought of leveling up there to test out with and have fun with.

Apathy

I have bad Canadian internet and got disconnected and the ddos attack also disconnected me just as phase 2 finished. Sorry blizzard not my fault it just happen 120 times at the same spot.

Well that's going to be my excuse.

BTW, just a reminder to people to get the special cosmetic items in case they get removed. The bonnet for alliance and authentic troll shoes for the horde. Yes you can transmog them on the opposite faction

Rizzi

Something small that bugs me a little, is all mages using ice barrier no matter the spec.
Arcane mages should have mana shield, fire mages should use fire shield, and frost mages should use ice barrier.

lazygecko

The only DK iteration that ever appealed to me was the way frost played during WotLK. I haven't really played the class ever since they changed it with Cataclysm.

In fact none of the new classes they've introduced have really grabbed me. And with adding yet another melee tanking class with Demon Hunters I think they're really starting to oversaturate that sphere of gameplay. The only things I really wanted to see through new classes would be another caster (a caster tank would be the most novel idea, though there are so many tanks classes in the game now I feel that ship has sailed), or a physical ranged without pets (which they've already covered now with marksman hunter).

cdyhybrid

I have bad Canadian internet and got disconnected and the ddos attack also disconnected me just as phase 2 finished. Sorry blizzard not my fault it just happen 120 times at the same spot.

Well that's going to be my excuse.

BTW, just a reminder to people to get the special cosmetic items in case they get removed. The bonnet for alliance and authentic troll shoes for the horde. Yes you can transmog them on the opposite faction

I believe they've said that those aren't going away.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
no, it's not an exploit. it is nowhere near the most efficient way to do invasions.. it actually really sucks, especially as you don't get chests (gold or ilvl 700 gear) or the bonus xp except for the one time. it's only tolerable because getting around the world <60 is even worse..

I think it's those reasons that blizzard hasn't addressed it. I mean they've already done two midweek hotfixes for invasion xp and stuff.. my guess if they really had a problem with this, they would have hotfixed it as well.

but honestly, it really sucks leveling like this. It's faster than leveling normally. and faster than flying to invasions sub-60. but once you hit 60, IMHO you are better off just doing invasions properly.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Doesn't seem like invasion frequency changed at all.

Last week it didn't kick in until a bit into the day also. I'm sure by tonight we will be seeing the crazy 1-hour invasions resets in all 6 zones.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
what's with all of the BGs filled with incredibly well coordinated russians with impeccable comps? like they always have healers in every group, they always move together. pvp guilds?

borghe

So I am assuming they didn't and won't touch Northrend Dalaran? Considering quest hubs, Violet Hold, etc..

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So I am assuming they didn't and won't touch Northrend Dalaran? Considering quest hubs, Violet Hold, etc..

pretty sure they're not, yeah. mage port got changed to teleport: dalaran - northrend, so i'm assuming teleport: dalaran - broken isles is coming.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Looks like the Broken Shore might not be working right now. Breaks on the last stage for Alliance. I'd probably tell people to hold off on it for now.

Quick question;

I'll probably be reaubbing soon if I get some contract work, but I'm not planning on it until maybe a week or two after the expansion hits.

Am I missing anything right now? I know there's the expansion event and all that, but I wasn't too torn up about it since I stopped playing around 3-4 years ago.

Lanrutcon

Quick question;

I'll probably be reaubbing soon if I get some contract work, but I'm not planning on it until maybe a week or two after the expansion hits.

Am I missing anything right now? I know there's the expansion event and all that, but I wasn't too torn up about it since I stopped playing around 3-4 years ago.

You're missing:

- Easy gear for starting Legion
- Easy leveling for characters

Apart from that, everything else can be done later if you wish.

Zelias

Banned
Quick question;

The Legion invasions are temporary and will disappear when Legion hits, and rewards include unique transmogs and a pet that, honestly, will probably be cheap enough to buy as everyone has shit tons of the event currency from levelling and nothing to spend it on.

The rest of the pre-patch stuff - the Broken Shore and the storyline from then on, will be sticking around in Legion afaik

Edit: Oh yeah, currently invasions are without a doubt the best way to level new characters. But you do get a free 100 boost with Legion anyway so it's just for alts.

borghe

Quick question;

the stuff right now is fluff. The broken shores event will go away, but you'll be able to view the cinematics.. the dalaran event will be playable by talking to someone. honestly the only game impacting thing right now are invasions, and really that's only IF you care about power leveling toons. the worst you'll miss out on are the invasion gear transmogs, which frankly are anywhere from ok (almost everything) to epicly bad (hunter bow).

edit - the pet is sellable.. and the toy is sellable.. so both will likely be around on the AH for some time after the event.

cdyhybrid

Quick question;

You'll miss the moose mount from Archimonde.

Awesome, thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it! I'll probably keep waiting for a bit then. That us unless my roommate really pressures me into getting it, haha.

Edit: Damn, not a moose mount!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like the Broken Shore might not be working right now. Breaks on the last stage for Alliance. I'd probably tell people to hold off on it for now.
These bugs were present on the PTR, seems like they didn't bother fixing them properly. Or they were simply hoping things wouldn't break on live servers.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
imo BGs should be separated into 'large' and 'small' and you should be able to queue for them separately. the large BGs are too unwieldy for me to find fun. it's never clear what anyone's doing and you can sit and spam your shit for ages with no net effect. i only have two blacklist options, but i never want to play the ancient strand, isle of conquest, or alterac valley again in my life.

Lanrutcon

imo BGs should be separated into 'large' and 'small' and you should be able to queue for them separately. the large BGs are too unwieldy for me to find fun. it's never clear what anyone's doing and you can sit and spam your shit for ages with no net effect. i only have two blacklist options, but i never want to play the ancient strand, isle of conquest, or alterac valley again in my life.

AV should give rewards for losing as well, given the time investment.

Mitch

Banned
This is why I blacklist AV and IoC. Strand isn't half as bad.

borghe

Awesome, thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it! I'll probably keep waiting for a bit then. That us unless my roommate really pressures me into getting it, haha.

Edit: Damn, not a moose mount!

moose mount is NOT trivial to get.... only drops from the final boss of the Heroic or higher final raid of WOD. You'll need a carry.. which usually requires a minimal ilvl and payment. not to mention the 4ish hours to actually clear the raid.

I don't have the moose mount.. I have the ilvl and cash.. but not sure I have the time to both search for a carry and then actually do it. Might shoot for it this Sunday (p.s. anyone here have a guild that is doing carries? how much?)

cdyhybrid

moose mount is NOT trivial to get.... only drops from the final boss of the Heroic or higher final raid of WOD. You'll need a carry.. which usually requires a minimal ilvl and payment. not to mention the 4ish hours to actually clear the raid.

I don't have the moose mount.. I have the ilvl and cash.. but not sure I have the time to both search for a carry and then actually do it. Might shoot for it this Sunday (p.s. anyone here have a guild that is doing carries? how much?)
A lot of groups do free carries. Just check Reddit/the official forums/Google Friendship Moose.

Mitch

Banned
IoC is so bad.
Tell me about it.

Can't remember a single fun experience. I'm either always setting bombs near the doors after jumping into the base from the air, or defending glaives. Both of which always end with my team flailing around.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
A few balance hotfixes out. Nothing for Warlocks, but they doubled the base windfury proc chance to 10% for enhance to boost maelstrom gen a bit. That's not too shabby.

so are we getting something stupid like 4 invasions 1 hour timers or are we at 3 every 2 until release

It's supposed to be all 6 invasions every hour, I believe.

It borders on crazy. Invasions are meant to be catch-up for gear if you unsubbed early in WoD or experience to help level up a new toon or finish off an old one if you want to change your main and try out a new class/spec. They were not meant to farm up 10 or 11 alts from scratch and gear them all to 700+ ilvl in a week or less, be it actively participating in invasions and logging out at a certain point or just afk'ing through the waves, but there's likely only so much they can do to design around behaviour like this. Plus it's only going to be a "problem" for a few more days.

I'm sure internally they expected that a small segment of their player base would do things like we have been doing during invasions but they have to design the experience so it's worthwhile and fun for everyone. They can't just focus their design on countering people who min/max.

iammeiam

This doesn't match with what I've seen people doing. if you're decently geared (700-710 is probably enough) it's not super hard to just get into a Heroic Archimonde run on Group Finder and get the kill that way. There's no requirement you do all of HFC so you can just join an Archimonde or Manno/Arch run, and I know a couple of people who've gotten their moose that the way in the past few weeks and have been pugging Heroic HFC since. You have to be willing to wipe a few times, know the basic mechanics, and be able to do your job ok enough to not be kicked for causing wipes, but at this point getting a heroic clear without buying a carry or having connections is certainly possible.

If you buy an Arch carry the whole thing should take less than ten minutes; I did the FriendshipMoose thing not too long ago and it was I think a sub 3 minute kill. Multiple hours would be a 13/13 run, and those seem like a waste given the expac next week.

Sarcasm

Don't have draenor flying but I am grinding gold.

I am getting REAL tired of their buggy broken quests.

Garrison Daily hasn't changed for the last 4+ days (part of achievement).

Pressing the attack is 2 objectives but you need to do 3 or 4 for it to complete.

Top Bottom