• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

strafer

d7d.gif

yo what the fuck

deoee

People talk about vanilla and TBC like they were the greatest things ever.
They weren't. Lots of super dumb things that have been removed over the years.

Correct.

It all comes down to the timing wow had - everything was kinda new and fancy but not really that great everyone remembers.

Questing was tedious at times, with low ass drop rates and no loot sharing in groups etc....

Tecnniqe

Banned
v0WE5.gif

yo what the fuck
hxSBJfd.gif

Correct.

It all comes down to the timing wow had - everything was kinda new and fancy but not really that great everyone remembers.

Questing was tedious at times, with low ass drop rates and no loot sharing in groups etc....
Vanilla was kinda shit, but TBC was very fun :3

Each expansion had something great to them, but I'd still rank TBC first, or at the very least top 2.

I also quite liked WotLK but since then I've not had the feeling for Cata, didn't really enjoy the panda/asian artstyle of mist and WoD just bored the brain out of me at launch. Legion on the other hand looks really fun and I'm quite enjoying the new class so I'm looking forward to seeing how it all goes.

M.D

Make a Worgen.

But he wants to look good tho

Dumb question, is there a class that uses the meeting stone summon animation for their regular spells?

But human female rogues are the best! Especially in Nightslayer.

GENIUS

I made a Worgen so I can be Worgen or Human whenever I feel like it! and I look badass as a Worgen!

I called him.. Worgank......
I swear I had a bunch of good names but they were all taken

People talk about vanilla and TBC like they were the greatest things ever.
They weren't. Lots of super dumb things that have been removed over the years.

Well, that's not a fair way to look at it. Of course dumb things have been removed. But good things have been removed too. And dumb things have been added. It's a balancing act of dumbness. I'll be playing on Tuesday, but, I still liked TBC's dumbness the best.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
people crying to get "vanilla servers" or how the good old days were better probably havent played the game in years.

"oh man it was awesome to have to go to meeting stones instead of queuing"

no it wasnt, it was a pain. these are the same people that are probably crying to get vial mount rides to invasions because they cant be bothered to get there themselves :3

I have been playing the game nonstop since the movie came out, got every class to 100 and am hyped as hell for legion, and I think Vanilla was better in many ways, but worse in others, and hope dearly that Blizzard does Vanilla servers.

It's unfair to paint everyone who wants to play an older version of the game as a hater who can't let go of the past. Theyre completely different experiences and so of course there will be people that prefer X version of the game over what it is now.

ALSO: I was unaware that teleport moonglade was removed. Can druids use their dream walk spell to get out of and reset dungeons easily still?

Fjordson

I adored vanilla WoW. I started in 2004 and played religiously those first few years. It was great. I just always disagree with the idea that it was better than modern WoW in literally every way or that it somehow renders modern WoW completely obsolete / unnecessary.

It's unfair to paint everyone who wants to play an older version of the game as a hater who can't let go of the past. Theyre completely different experiences and so of course there will be people that prefer X version of the game over what it is now.
I agree with the bolded, and I don't begrudge anyone who simply isn't interested in WoW anymore, but there's a group of people out there that go to the extreme in their praise of past WoW and completely gloss over all the flaws it had.

Sölf

Remember when meeting stones were introduced? And they only opened a window with a list of people looking for a group that were ALSO at the meeting stone? Porting someone wasn't even possible in the first version.

Tenebrous

It had flaws, but TBC in 2007 was better than the other expansions in their pomp.

Anyway, what d'ya think? Think I might swap out the Shield Block icon for a bar & move up the charge-tracker for symmetry.

Sarek

It had flaws, but TBC in 2007 was better than the other expansions in their pomp.

The main thing I remember from TBC was that my locks rotation was basically shadowbolt, shadowbolt, shadowbolt, ad infinitum. Oh, and I had to log in half an hour early to farm enough soul shards to last the whole evening.

Tenebrous

The main thing I remember from TBC was that my locks rotation was basically shadowbolt, shadowbolt, shadowbolt, ad infinitum. Oh, and I had to log in half an hour early to farm enough soul shards to last the whole evening.

0/21/40 for life.

CoE/CoD & Soulshatter!

Zackat

I just remember farming a lot to do any raids. The amount of potions you had to have for every attempt was absurd. Weapon oils/sharpening stones too. I think all I did when I logged in was farm Terocone and raid. I loved it at the time, and it is still the height of WoW for me due to the time and place, but the game is way better now in every way.

Tenebrous

I just remember farming a lot to do any raids. The amount of potions you had to have for every attempt was absurd. Weapon oils/sharpening stones too. I think all I did when I logged in was farm Terocone and raid. I loved it at the time, and it is still the height of WoW for me due to the time and place, but the game is way better now in every way.

Except content & the community.

Chris R

Do invasions stop on the 30th? Trying to get some last minute levels on my non-100 characters so I don't have to do any leveling in Draenor ever again.

iirate

I was in a top 100 US guild during TBC, and honestly, the guild's biggest asset was some amazing dps'ers we had back then, but our warlocks were infuriating. My mage friend, who is probably the best dps raider I've ever known, was pissed the whole back-end of the expansion, not because the warlocks had an easier job than he did, but because our warlocks insisted on playing incorrectly(using their dots as destro rather than just shadowbolt spamming). They did well enough to earn their spot, but he couldn't stand that they insisted on making things harder on themselves for less dps.

Tenebrous

content?

I guess you mean quality wise, not quantity, which is arguable I guess

Both (for the time). TBC added arenas, flying, & heroic dungeons - What did WoD add that's anywhere near that big?

LFR bosses are better than raid bosses back then, but relative to their time, TBC impressed me more... Not saying other expansions are bad, though. MoP didn't really do anything to impress me, but it's still one of my all time favourite games.

M.D

You could always go with the classic:

5212862_700b.jpg

How have I never seen this before ;p

Also - question for you guys
If I'm giving some total stranger mats for him to craft me a mount and he takes everything and leaves me with nothing, will Blizzard give me back my mats/gold or say fuck off?

Aeana

Sölf;215116521 said:
Remember when meeting stones were introduced? And they only opened a window with a list of people looking for a group that were ALSO at the meeting stone? Porting someone wasn't even possible in the first version.

Well, that solved a problem of the time, which was that people would stand around the dungeon entrance and shout asking for groups. The game has evolved over time, Blizzard has addressed needs as they arose and then came up with more efficient ways to address whatever that problem was down the road.

There's things about modern WoW that are great and I would like to see even in a legacy kind of server situation, but one of the things I miss about the game is the social aspect. I can't even remember any regular elite or group quests while leveling in WoD, although I might be wrong.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Well, that solved a problem of the time, which was that people would stand around the dungeon entrance and shout asking for groups. The game has evolved over time, Blizzard has addressed needs as they arose and then came up with more efficient ways to address whatever that problem was down the road.

There's things about modern WoW that are great and I would like to see even in a legacy kind of server situation, but one of the things I miss about the game is the social aspect. I can't even remember any regular elite or group quests while leveling in WoD, although I might be wrong.
A lot of the social aspect changed with the cross realm play with the addition of queues for almost everything IMO.

You had more friendly talks and less trash/offensive and the common ninja looting as you only had to do it a few times for people to wise up to you and know your name as someone unthrustworthy.

Also guilds and players felt closer and more 'competitive' with each other due to a greater feeling of brotherhood in regards to faction stances but also what was going on at said server, which mostly seems to be missing.

However this was "removed" in the change of adding more quality of life changes to most players so you could easily jump into the content without fuzz or waiting for people to show up.

It's a mixed bag but you do have less downtime now I feel and while some of the more 'social' of realm interactions are missing you can still find some from time to time, like outland-eu, aka drama server, still kicks about :)

I do think RPPvE servers survived this whole 'transformation' for the most part but I've not put much time into those severs so I can't say for sure.

I do miss the full cities and 5000 people outside Orgrimmar/SW and the usually daily invasions of enemy cities to harass them and have fun :)

I also do believe flying have something to answer for in regards to social interaction. For the worse.

Shahadan

There were none, they got rid of those long ago cause in the end after the first 6 months people couldn't find groups to complete those quests and they kept complaining it was annoying.

Which was true. They made a compromise with being able to tag the same mob (only elites at first in pandaria iirc) without being in a group but still fight as one.

Social aspect wouldn't be the same now anyway, times have changed and people's behavior as well.

Nere

Well good thing that in Legion some world quests will be to kill an elite either with 3 people, with 5 people and then the world boss with a full raid. Hope those world quests feel a bit like the vanilla group quests.

Aeana

There were none, they got rid of those long ago cause in the end after the first 6 months people couldn't find groups to complete those quests and they kept complaining it was annoying.

Which was true. They made a compromise with being able to tag the same mob (only elites at first in pandaria iirc) without being in a group but still fight as one.

Social aspect wouldn't be the same now anyway, times have changed and people's behavior as well.

The concern is that the leveling process feels like a single player game with other people wandering around. Some people like that, I guess, but I certainly miss the way it used to be. I play other MMOs where it's still the case still which makes the contrast bolder in my mind.

Shahadan

The concern is that the leveling process feels like a single player game with other people wandering around. Some people like that, I guess, but I certainly miss the way it used to be. I play other MMOs where it's still the case still which makes the contrast bolder in my mind.

Yes well that was clearly their intent with WoD, it seems Legion is going in the opposite direction, as usual.
I don't think it'll do much but who knows.

Also we shouldn't disregard the fact that it's certainly easier for other MMOs to keep that social aspect.

Merkunt

Is it a good time to jump into WoW now or should I wait for Legions to release?

Edit: I thought the release date was in September; ignore my post

Lomax

I think the invasions are a step back in the right direction for social questing. Elite areas sucked. They sucked in vanilla, they sucked in BC, they sucked in Wrath, and most people skipped them unless you were leveling in a group already. I remember the area in Silverpine near Shadowfang Keep and trying to get groups for those quests and failing, it was miserable. But the technology now lets you help each other without trying or requiring an actual group. Just like you can't solo the invasion bosses, it will be more possible for them to have scaling and hard mobs that take groups to beat, throughout. So we can get the best of both worlds, none of the crappy trying to find a group and ending up skipping, but also needing to be a bit more of a social group dynamic in trying to overcome obstacles. At least that's the direction I hope the game is moving and the technology now exists for it to do so.

Strimei

Yeah, that's a problem. On top of that, I don't tend to like fist weapons in WoW, including most of the artifact ones.

I'll probably just mog mine to the smallest ones I can so I can have glowing fists.

You can always go for the Initiate's handguards, or whatever they're called. They're sold at the Peak of Serenity, and they're invisible, so you can be bare fisted.

Or you can go for the artifact's hidden skin, which is a giant glowing stone fist!

I actually do really like the base and first variant skins, but to each their own.

Brokun

You can always go for the Initiate's handguards, or whatever they're called. They're sold at the Peak of Serenity, and they're invisible, so you can be bare fisted.

Or you can go for the artifact's hidden skin, which is a giant glowing stone fist!

I actually do really like the base and first variant skins, but to each their own.

In my opinion the only spec that got poor treatment for base artifacts was subtlety rogue. Their artifact looks like trash (except for the hidden appearance which looks amazing). I genuinely like the looks of all the other artifacts.

Strimei

In my opinion the only spec that got poor treatment for base artifacts was subtlety rogue. Their artifact looks like trash (except for the hidden appearance which looks amazing). I genuinely like the looks of all the other artifacts.

Definitely agree there. While I'm not enamored with some skins, I can at least go "yeah that looks like an artifact."

First time I saw those fang dagger things, my mind went to like rare drops from TBC dungeons, that's how they look. Good lord.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

Daggers, by their very nature (as in they are small) would always draw the short straw.

Did they fix Fury swords so they are 2h size at least?

Rhaknar

For those worried about artifact power for alt specs (specs, not alt characters), worry not because it seems the difference between pumping everything into your main artifact and keeping both going (with the main as a priority obviously) is negligible.

Edit: also double post because im a dumb dumb

Mothman91

So I'm a holy priest, got 2 of my heirlooms (healing and caster dps). Can I get the other heirlooms still or I can't because they aren't part of my available specs?

Brokun

So I'm a holy priest, got 2 of my heirlooms (healing and caster dps). Can I get the other heirlooms still or I can't because they aren't part of my available specs?

There aren't dual specs anymore. You are literally all three specs and can change between them at any time.

Grief.exe

I wouldn't mind getting in with a GAF Mythic dungeon group in Legion. Laid back, but ultimately professional and focused on clearing content.

I'm not looking to be as dedicated as I was in the past, but I used to be a top 50 DK DPS in 25 man ICC and top 20 in 10 man early cataclysm in rankings.

Top Bottom