• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Aeana

I should probably use addons if I'm going to heal with any frequency.

At least get Clique if nothing else. That lets you heal via combinations of modifiers and clicks on the party frames. I won't heal without clickcasting in some form in this game; every other way is just way less efficient. Note that other party/raid addons have this functionality, like VuhDo which is what I use.

Tarazet

Just finished up a week off where I played as much as I could. Got my Enhancement Shaman to 841, but I'm way short on Nightfallen rep. My partner unlocked the Mythic-only dungeons days ago and I'm still 4k rep away.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Just finished up a week off where I played as much as I could. Got my Enhancement Shaman to 841, but I'm way short on Nightfallen rep. My partner unlocked the Mythic-only dungeons days ago and I'm still 4k rep away.

How much rep do you need? Im at like 7k or something

At least get Clique if nothing else. That lets you heal via combinations of modifiers and clicks on the party frames. I won't heal without clickcasting in some form in this game; every other way is just way less efficient. Note that other party/raid addons have this functionality, like VuhDo which is what I use.

I just make macros for all of my healing spells and put mouseover modifier on them.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My sub is up in 7 days (from my 2 month card). Think ill get a 3 month sub. Dat commitment :eek:

I tried to use Clique but I found that it would break all the time, especially when switching between two specs that shared a lot of abilities. I ended up just making mouseover macros for all of my heal spells.

Rhaknar

ooh nightfallen emissary, gonna get my 8k then (actually 9k but yeah)

edit: 835 epic BOE shoulders from world quest, hopefully can make some bank off them

Tacitus_

I... umm... oh wow
wZGPhhB.jpg

M.D

Got Titanforged 850 Haustvelt Shoulders from a world quest and turns out they are BoE

I got Versatility + Crit on them. Wonder how much could they sell for?

I'm ridiculously behind on Nightfallen, I'm not even close to honored with them yet. I just keep doing world quests instead of Suramar things. Instant rewards are too tempting.

What's the secret to bear tanking, dudes? I'm used to Ignore Pain spam getting me through everything.
Nothing is going to be as crazy as IP spam right now but bears are pretty good.

Using your frenzied regen at the right time makes a big difference. There are weakauras that will help you keep track of how much it will heal for.
Maximize your rage generation so you get tons of ironfurs.
Bank ironfurs and stack them for predictable damage.

One thing to keep in mind with bears is that their cool downs are amazing and they have a lot of them. Survival Instincts has two charges so if you're not tanking something where you think you're going to need both charges in one fight, feel free to use one on big trash pulls just to make use of the cooldown. Barkskin is a short cooldown that gets shorter with artifact traits, and the artifact ability is a pretty short cooldown that gets an awesome 25% leech buff with one of the gold dragon traits.

Lanrutcon

So I think the WQs that give BOEs is a masterful design. Not only does it help the community at large gear up, it also provides a monetary incentive to do shit for pieces you would otherwise have ignored.

If WQs keep scaling with raid content, then I see no excuses for anyone not to keep up with the gear curve.

M.D

Do you need to be honored with The Nightfallen to start 'Building an Army'? I was given the quest that says to talk to her once I'm ready, but I don't have that option? I got a quest to get honored with them at the same time

Do you need to be honored with The Nightfallen to start 'Building an Army'? I was given the quest that says to talk to her once I'm ready, but I don't have that option? I got a quest to get honored with them at the same time

You have to go out into the ruins outside and get 10 withered with an item that it gives you. Then you unlock the scenario.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I think mages should have more utility. The trade off in old(er) wow for having lower utility was that mages were almost always among the hardest hitting DPS specs in the game. That's no longer the case; mages are middle of the pack DPS wise but they still have only barebones utility (TW is the only major thing; remove curse is gone; spellsteal is borderline worthless in PvE; ice block is useful in specific encounters for specific things). I dunno what kind of suitably magey thing they could add though that doesn't intrude on the utility of other classes (not, to be fair, that blizzard have any qualms about overlapping utility).

Lanrutcon

I think mages should have more utility. The trade off in old(er) wow for having lower utility was that mages were almost always among the hardest hitting DPS specs in the game. That's no longer the case; mages are middle of the pack DPS wise but they still have only barebones utility (TW is the only major thing; remove curse is gone; spellsteal is borderline worthless in PvE; ice block is useful in specific encounters for specific things). I dunno what kind of suitably magey thing they could add though.

What kind of utility would you like? You already have better mobility, dps, interrupts, cc and defensive abilities than my Warlock. Would you like to be able to conjure healthstones? hmm? Summon other players?

Maybe you'd like a goddamn voidwalker to go with your goddamn snack table, mage.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Has Fire ever been 'middle of the pack'? Fire is always one of the top DPS specs and at times the best spec in the whole game and it's currently doing really well, too.

Rizzi

What kind of utility would you like? You already have better mobility, dps, interrupts, cc and defensive abilities than my Warlock. Would you like to be able to conjure healthstones? hmm? Summon other players?

Maybe you'd like a goddamn voidwalker to go with your goddamn snack table, mage.

They should summon pets! And each one should have a unique purpose, that will slowly become less and less unique/useful over the next few expansions, and then one of their specs will be focused on maintaining a buff on your summons, that will be mind numbingly tedious to play, while not doing all that much damage.
Oh wait I described warlocks. My bad. :<

Rhaknar

doing a lot less stuff on my DK this time around. Did all of Highmountain (minus the bonus objectives) but Aszuna and Val I only did the main quest really for the pillar. Im still friendly with each rep anyway (well honored with highmountain) so thats enough for now. Ill do those other quests maybe when im in the zone and doing the world quests or something

Tacitus_

I think mages should have more utility. The trade off in old(er) wow for having lower utility was that mages were almost always among the hardest hitting DPS specs in the game. That's no longer the case; mages are middle of the pack DPS wise but they still have only barebones utility (TW is the only major thing; remove curse is gone; spellsteal is borderline worthless in PvE; ice block is useful in specific encounters for specific things). I dunno what kind of suitably magey thing they could add though that doesn't intrude on the utility of other classes (not, to be fair, that blizzard have any qualms about overlapping utility).

Middle of the pack? I guess if you don't spec fire or something..

Kain

SV is a blast, a damn glorious blast. I played every iteration of SV since WOTLK (except Draenor) and I absolutely loved it and I love the new SV. The burst is amazing and the rotation is so busy that you don't even have time for the filler Raptor strike (which is probably one of the worst abilities in the whole game btw). Of course nothing matters now, but nevertheless I've been topping the meters too.

Screw the "right" spec to play, I'm going with fun this time around.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
SV is a blast, a damn glorious blast. I played every iteration of SV since WOTLK (except Draenor) and I absolutely loved it and I love the new SV. The burst is amazing and the rotation is so busy that you don't even have time for the filler Raptor strike (which is probably one of the worst abilities in the whole game btw). Of course nothing matters now, but nevertheless I've been topping the meters too.

Screw the "right" spec to play, I'm going with fun this time around.

SV IS the right spec to play if you want to top meters as a Hunter.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Well I think Warlocks need more works than mages from everything I've read but I don't play one so I can't comment in more detail.
Middle of the pack? I guess if you don't spec fire or something..
Arcane, but AFAIK even fire is barely in the top 1/3rd of DPS specs right now. Which is fine; I mostly would just like a bit more texture to the class.

Rhaknar

this motherfucker for the 8k+ nightfallen rep quests wants 1200 mana >_>

thats for my next withered run damn you

edit: oh wait its only one or the other? I still have the quest but I dont see it on the map anymore after I helped the other lady

Tenebrous

this motherfucker for the 8k+ nightfallen rep quests wants 1200 mana >_>

thats for my next withered run damn you

edit: oh wait its only one or the other? I still have the quest but I dont see it on the map anymore after I helped the other lady

No it's both. The map marker just disappears for the 1200 mana one.

TheYanger

Has Fire ever been 'middle of the pack'? Fire is always one of the top DPS specs and at times the best spec in the whole game and it's currently doing really well, too.

I mean, arcane has often had that spot as well, or warlocks, or rogues or hunters back in the day. Mages as a whole were legitimately awful in Sunwell also. (Just worse warlocks)

Maledict

I'm showing my age here, but for the first three expansions mages were only top dos in two instances - fire mages in original Naxxramus with the stacking ignite and the first fight in th cho'gall instance where mages could spread ignite to everything. For most of vanilla and all of TBC mages were one of the worse dos in the game. Either because you had to spec frost as everything was fire immune, or because mages were nerfed off the bat at the start of TBC and that was left in place the entire expansion.

Again, showing my age!

Lanrutcon

I mean, arcane has often had that spot as well, or warlocks, or rogues or hunters back in the day. Mages as a whole were legitimately awful in Sunwell also. (Just worse warlocks)

MoP Warlocks were good, I'll admit. WoD Warlocks were average (they had a small stint with Demo being badass, but that got nerfed quickly). Legion Warlocks are bottom tier. And before anyone comes at me with "The sims say Demo is good!" I goddamn double dare you to try that out in practice. Go run some Mythics alongside any spec that has burst damage.

TheYanger

I'm showing my age here, but for the first three expansions mages were only top dos in two instances - fire mages in original Naxxramus with the stacking ignite and the first fight in th cho'gall instance where mages could spread ignite to everything. For most of vanilla and all of TBC mages were one of the worse dos in the game. Either because you had to spec frost as everything was fire immune, or because mages were nerfed off the bat at the start of TBC and that was left in place the entire expansion.

Again, showing my age!

Ignite stacking wasn't even actually anything insane, it just made your one mage that inherited everyones ignites look REALLY good...and then die horribly from having 4+ people's worth of threat. Meanwhile the rogues were doing their piddly 1,000 dps and not having any thread of pulling aggro ever. I mean, the only time I remember mages actually being bad was sunwell, but yeah most of the early wow damage meters were rogues/warriors/warlocks depending on when you're talking about.

MoP Warlocks were good, I'll admin. WoD Warlocks were average (they had a small stint with Demo being badass, but that got nerfed quickly). Legion Warlocks are bottom tier. And before anyone comes at me with "The sims say Demo is good!" I goddamn double dare you to try that out in practice. Go run some Mythics alongside any spec that has burst damage.

Warlocks actually are reasonably fine though. The class is full of whiners. By the logic that we should be running mythics, Aff and Frost are actually awesome.

Top Bottom