• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

traveler

Not Wario
Fire Mages are probably the best positioned ranged DPS overall at the moment. DPS is good- not top of the chart good, but good- utility is higher than any other ranged dpser aside from ele shaman and arguably warlock I guess, and mobility certainly better than any other caster between all the instant casts, icy floes, shimmer, and scorch. You get a bloodlust, hard cc, immunity to allow you to fill niches against certain mechanics, the best movement skill in the game, a ranged interrupt, a situationally better purge, an aoe snare, and an aoe disorient built in- what else do we need? Soulstones? The only ranged dps that even ranks consistently higher is shadow priest, and they don't compete with fire in the utility, mobility, or aoe department. The spec will also scale pretty well too.

Lanrutcon

Warlocks actually are reasonably fine though. The class is full of whiners. By the logic that we should be running mythics, Aff and Frost are actually awesome.

He's joking. Please god don't try Affliction in Mythics. If anyone links a damage meter from trash you'll be kicked so fast Guile's Theme will start playing.

Well I think Warlocks need more works than mages from everything I've read but I don't play one so I can't comment in more detail.

Arcane, but AFAIK even fire is barely in the top 1/3rd of DPS specs right now. Which is fine; I mostly would just like a bit more texture to the class.

Elemental Shaman are pretty lowly as well. Right up there with Warlocks I'd say. Theyre not providing any utility except Hex and their DPS is noticeably terribad. There's just more Warlocks in general so you here about them more.

For some reason in their infinite wisdom Blizzard decided to put the 6th orb for Kosumoth in "The Great Sea" zone...not precisely in Stormheim anymore...which is crossrealmed of course. So even at 6:30 am eastern on a Monday there's at least half a dozen people there competing for the (currently) long respawn orb. SMH.
rage.gif

Sölf

For some reason in their infinite wisdom Blizzard decided to put the 6th orb for Kosumoth in "The Great Sea" zone...not precisely in Stormheim anymore...which is crossrealmed of course. So even at 6:30 am eastern on a Monday there's at least half a dozen people there competing for the (currently) long respawn orb. SMH.
rage.gif

I am also there. But after I saw the people I just thought I will wait for the hotfix.

To be honest i'm doing just fine on my Warlock (Destruction).

On larger trash packs you'll fall behind as Rain of Fire is gash and i don't use Cataclysm, but Havoc does well for smaller packs and destroys any boss that has adds. The no CD on Havoc talent should absolutely be taken.
From past experience we scale up pretty well for raids - so i'm not worried. The main concern is that the other 2 specs seem pretty gimped and i can't see myself choosing either of them over Destruction any time soon.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I refuse to let Blink be called the best mobility until they fix the broken state it's been in for 12 years TBH. It's worse than ever now.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck this quest is horrible, first time im bummed out in suramar. oh well it was bound to happen

traveler

Not Wario
Mobility stuff is kind of borked in general right now. Monks have tons of issues with rolls and flying dragon kick, dhs are experiencing issues with fel rush- granted rush of wind on shammies and the targeted movement spells seem to be ok. In general, looks like they've broken a bunch of mobility abilities though.

Sane_Man

Sorry I'm new to this game and trying to learn. When people talk about mouse over macros, what would they be useful for? Combining a number of abilities in a predictable chain?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Mobility stuff is kind of borked in general right now. Monks have tons of issues with rolls and flying dragon kick, dhs are experiencing issues with fel rush- granted rush of wind on shammies and the targeted movement spells seem to be ok. In general, looks like they've broken a bunch of mobility abilities though.
Apparently there's a patch incoming to fix them.

Which makes no mention of Blink, which has been broken since Vanilla.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sorry I'm new to this game and trying to learn. When people talk about mouse over macros, what would they be useful for? Combining a number of abilities in a predictable chain?

Instead of clicking on a player's portrait and then hitting a heal, all they have to do is have the courser over it and then press their heal. It's pretty much essential for any healer who wants to do raids since it saves you the travel of always having to click on players when healing them.

Lanrutcon

Apparently there's a patch incoming to fix them.

Which makes no mention of Blink, which has been broken since Vanilla.

TAKE THAT, OPPRESSOR!

But yeah, I've also had issues with my DH's rush: sometimes I just stop because I kinda sorta maybe semi touched a small pebble.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
second golden trait (finally) got!

Ive really been slacking on art power after I got the second research and it was just 50% increase :(

oh well, mega aoe here I come!

edit: you know... im actually going to hold off on these next suramar quessts until the next research in days I think

Kain

iKkx9v4.png

Those guides need to be updated.

Yeah I saw tha toot. You know what theorycrafters say? That it's wrong and SV is still shit. I'm thinking most of them are salty because they hate melee for some reason lol

In truth we must wait until EN is released and people get some gear.

And I don't know about other servers, but in mine I'm literally the only SV hunter I've seen since Legion, I'm not kidding or exaggerating. The Class hall is full to the brim of MM and BMs and I've yet to see a SV either questing, in the hall or in dungeons. It's amazing actually.

Maledict

Ignite stacking wasn't even actually anything insane, it just made your one mage that inherited everyones ignites look REALLY good...and then die horribly from having 4+ people's worth of threat. Meanwhile the rogues were doing their piddly 1,000 dps and not having any thread of pulling aggro ever. I mean, the only time I remember mages actually being bad was sunwell, but yeah most of the early wow damage meters were rogues/warriors/warlocks depending on when you're talking about.

Warlocks actually are reasonably fine though. The class is full of whiners. By the logic that we should be running mythics, Aff and Frost are actually awesome.

Ignite stacking was more than that. Because of the way it worked, if you had enough mages drifting often enough the debuff would never fall off the boss, which gave you a free extra tick of combined damage. Whilst yes part of the issue was it being apportioned to just one Mage, it was a fundamentally broken mechanic that allowed the class to hit damage numbers other classes weren't capable of (as a combined group). Original Thaddius and Patchwerk, for example, were often killed by stacking mages for ignite. If you kept it rolling it was madness.

Unfortunately mages were an issue for all of TBC because for the first time ever Blizzard pre-empty overly nerfed a class. As the expansion went live, for some reason Blizzard were worried that Mages would be too good so they slapped a 10% damage tax on fireball and frostbolt. There was no reason for it, and given that at the time warlocks had just got Seeds of Corruption which was higher dps and more mana efficient than Mage AoE it left the class in a really bad state the entire expansion. Was an utterly bizarre need that didn't make sense at the time, and yet for some reason they left it in place for the life of the expansion. God knows what they saw in testing that made them apply it, but that never showed up in the real game.

Lumine

...but, but I'm playing Frost DK! :(

Honestly though heroics with LFG have been really easy so far so whatever. :p

I might be done with Legion anyway. I really enjoyed questing through the zones (though I enjoyed that in WoD as well), the class hall quests were nice and world quests are probably the best addition to the game in quite a while. It adds some accessibility and variety to the endgame besides just doing heroics. Though I kinda wish they took them a step further and actually have them in other areas in the world besides just the Broken Isles.
I got easily over 50 hours worth, perhaps already double that, out of the expansion, so I have no regrets in that sense. However at this point the repetition and fatigue is starting to set in and there's not much left for me to look forward to. I don't think I want to dedicate my time to raiding. I have done that plenty in TBC/Wrath and it's just not for me anymore.
I would perhaps level another class if I didn't already do pretty much every quest available in the past 2 weeks. I have no interest in doing it all again straight away. Maybe in a few months or so.
Legion has been a good expansion, but it's mostly just more of the same and beside the world quests they really didn't try to do anything new with the formula. Which is fine, but it just means the fatigue and repetition sets in quickly for me. I would've perhaps liked to see more of the pre-expansion stuff like the broken shore scenario/raid and the invasions. Or rather variations of it.
Still don't like the followers, though at least it feels less intrusive and compulsory this time around. Artifact weapon grind is ridiculous and one of the reasons I feel less motivated to play another spec or class.

Lanrutcon

Patchwerk sims are, for those who don't know, "ideal scenario" single target sims. Like, if you could just stand still and unleash hell with 100% uptime, no movement and perfect execution.

Now check how high Demonology is on that chart. Consider how misleading it is given how hard the perfect Demo rotation is in an ideal scenario. Now throw in some adds, some movement and some burst dps checks and suddenly the dream ends and Demo's actual dps plummets. Meanwhile a BM can maintain his/her rotation while stoned and running in circles.

Sane_Man

Instead of clicking on a player's portrait and then hitting a heal, all they have to do is have the courser over it and then press their heal. It's pretty much essential for any healer who wants to do raids since it saves you the travel of always having to click on players when healing them.

Thanks. Makes sense. I have so much to learn if I want to raid!

Mupod

Yesterday I had an amazing run in Withered Training - I got screwed over by bugs in previous runs (my guys fell through the floor) so I wanted to make up lost time. I went in with a battle plan and even though I lost 12 to the same pathing/falling through the world bug I cleared every boss except the dryad and arcane elemental. I then backtracked to send back chests, and I got to the elemental with about 6 left. I figured I could probably rescue the 4 Withered in that room and either take the chest in the back or get some practice on that boss. I pulled about 3 of the silk witches and whoops instance crashed. GM of course could do nothing. So I wasted an hour, 2000 mana, and now I don't know if I'll be able to do court of stars/arcway next week. At best I might have them open by the weekend, if I can somehow get time to do world quests every night. Hopefully I can convince my usual group to wait up.

I get the content gating, whatever. I think it's fine to not let players spam withered training as it would be too easy. But having you lose a week or two of dungeon runs before the raid because something is buggy/broken is fucked up.

So this is still a thing

I have two followers at 810, rest ungeared.

If you still have some followers below level 110, they seem to disregard the item level mechanics. I got an 810 mission done only because I hadn't leveled Rottgut yet. But yeah I've been quite diligent with my order hall and only just now am I getting champion gear.

Impulsor

So, currently I have a 836 itlvl Prot Warrior.

I'm looking to level a second character for my downtimes and whatnot.

I was thinking about Shaman or Priest, because healer.

But now I'm leaning on levelling a Enhancement Shaman.

Which shaman spec is more survivable and comfortable for leveling in Legion? Resto, Enhancement or Elemental?

Aeana

I tried to use Clique but I found that it would break all the time, especially when switching between two specs that shared a lot of abilities. I ended up just making mouseover macros for all of my heal spells.
I haven't used Clique itself in a while since as mentioned, I use Vuhdo instead, but Clique had multi spec support and that always seemed to work fine for me. I think it's not enabled by default though.

Robin64

Yeah, gearing my followers at about the same rate too, just for the reason shown above. It was a problem on beta, people moaned about it, Blizzard ignored it.

Tenebrous

Which shaman spec is more survivable and comfortable for leveling in Legion? Resto, Enhancement or Elemental?

Enhancement always has decent sustain. I'm leveling a BM hunter as my slacky alt, as that's about as braindead as it gets.

glaurung

After finally receiving my Legion CE box and installing this thing... I am so lost.

Is there any reasonable profession I should choose with a Demon Hunter over others? God I haven't played in so long.

But Legion has delivered a god tier WoW upgrade for me - the damage numbers popping off enemies are now crispy AF. I love it.

Rhaknar

just saw a enhancement shaman with sick dmg in a heroic

Enhance is super fun and very easy to level with. They get insta-cast heals that get upgraded with an AF talent.

Elemental isn't in a great spot right now. Very little utility and some of the lowest damage in the game, currently. Enhancement seems to be the way to go at the moment.

Mupod

I wonder if the love for melee classes right now will survive contact with raids.

After finally receiving my Legion CE box and installing this thing... I am so lost.

Is there any reasonable profession I should choose with a Demon Hunter over others? God I haven't played in so long.

But Legion has delivered a god tier WoW upgrade for me - the damage numbers popping off enemies are now crispy AF. I love it.

they don't do stat-related perks to professions anymore and it's not really worth it to make your own gear. As a blacksmith for example I get quadruple benefit from my mount buffs, but it's nothing like the days where you needed a profession for certain gear enchants.

I've made a shit ton of money off of blacksmithing but that market isn't going to stay lucrative for long. People are already undercutting my bracers by a ton (I sold some for 15k yesterday, few hours later people were posting them for 9k for no reason). I'm glad I made money while the money was good but I don't think I'll be making 10k profits per bracer anymore.

if I were to pick up professions right now it'd be herbalism and alchemy or enchanting. Raiding is starting up and people are gonna need potions and enchants. Honestly might level my druid to pick some flowers this weekend, but the way recipes get leveled up nowadays is very discouraging from the perspective of maintaining an alt for professions.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
just so we're clear, i have to run this withered training scenario and spend the whole time wishing i was a tank, but i can't heal these minions so that healers don't get an unfair advantage? what?

Impulsor

Enhancement always has decent sustain. I'm leveling a BM hunter as my slacky alt, as that's about as braindead as it gets.

Malick[AI];216660682 said:
Enhance is super fun and very easy to level with. They get insta-cast heals that get upgraded with an AF talent.

What about resto? I read its kinda painful levelling resto, is it true?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
What about resto? I read its kinda painful levelling resto, is it true?

None of the healer specs are particularly fun to level. They aren't terrible at it, but kill speed is noticeably slower than DPS and the damage abilities are more limited.

If you plan to play a healer at 110, the best option is to level as DPS and just use all your artifact power items on your healing weapon.

CHC

OK so weird question concerning old raids:

I'm looking to collect tier 18 appearances since I didn't raid through Warlords. I've discovered I can solo the first few bosses of Hellfire Citadel on my prot warrior (which is enough to get everything but the belt). But none of the fights are dropping anything because it's on personal loot. Is there a way to make it so I can get the usual amount of items, even if I can't use all of them?

If not, how long will it take to get the items I need from these bosses? Months?

Impulsor

None of the healer specs are particularly fun to level. They aren't terrible at it, but kill speed is noticeably slower than DPS and the damage abilities are more limited.

If you plan to play a healer at 110, the best option is to level as DPS and just use all your artifact power items on your healing weapon.

Cool. Thanks.

For the moment I think I'll just stick to enhancement. How does enchancement have it for raid spots?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I'm leveling as Elemental right now and it's been pretty easy/quick. No real issues with sustain or survivability. Healing touch is so quick to cast and heals for so much, but I don't even have to use that very often with the stuns/knockbacks/astral shift. It honestly might feel better for leveling to me than Enhancement. I say this as the crazy person playing Survival Hunter too though.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PSA: WoW Armory app will not take ilv increase from Warforged for the auto undercut like the regular version and since the item name stays green in the app, you might miss it when mass selling equipment.

I just sold an ilv 835 warforged piece for 120g, because I didn't know it was that...

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
just so we're clear, i have to run this withered training scenario and spend the whole time wishing i was a tank, but i can't heal these minions so that healers don't get an unfair advantage? what?

now imagine that you can't heal, you can't tank, you're wearing cloth, you have virtually no useful instant cast abilities, and you have no stuns

welcome to running withered training as an arcane mage, aka 'it's over the second leystalker dro appears'

Rhaknar

Chen... look at me, look at me.

Im the tank now

Fucking Chen stop taunting shit!

Milennia

Fire Mages are probably the best positioned ranged DPS overall at the moment. DPS is good- not top of the chart good, but good- utility is higher than any other ranged dpser aside from ele shaman and arguably warlock I guess, and mobility certainly better than any other caster between all the instant casts, icy floes, shimmer, and scorch. You get a bloodlust, hard cc, immunity to allow you to fill niches against certain mechanics, the best movement skill in the game, a ranged interrupt, a situationally better purge, an aoe snare, and an aoe disorient built in- what else do we need? Soulstones? The only ranged dps that even ranks consistently higher is shadow priest, and they don't compete with fire in the utility, mobility, or aoe department. The spec will also scale pretty well too.

hunter and shadow are both better, however shadow is only good on the final attempts of an encounter unless there is more than 1 constant and the priest plays like a god.

assuming you are talking about raiding.

my spec would be 3rd in this case, which actually isnt insane since melee is disgustingly broken at the moment specifically leather, making it like 5th, prior to mythic+ nerfs
where im sure they will touch literally every good spec or even specs that are basically fine like fire which isnt actually that insanely far ahead of its next spec

if they fixed arcane mastery to make it worth a shit the spec would be the ideal raiding mage spec due to its utility hands down

Top Bottom