• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Monk and DH? If you run groups it's really obvious. They have minimal cooldown gating on their AoE so they are just constantly on for pretty much every pack, and it comes at almost no cost to single target damage, mobility, or defensives.

Ooh thought you meant balance druid lol...

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Kind of been what I've said about Legion since they announced it. With how AP works, you had better be able to promise STRONG balance between all specs for people that invest into their spec of choice because even with catch-up mechanics, it'll never have as much AP as the spec they focused on and if the one they focused on is 'bad' you've just wasted a ton of peoples itme.

We'll see when the first real proper raid is out. But with artifact power investment, they need to have balance the best that it's ever been.

Yeah they really dropped the ball on balancing in beta. The thing is with artifacts being a real commitment, balance needed to be relatively close coming out of launch. It's well known that people generally roll what they feel is strong from patch to patch. So everyone just dumps their AP in that to start and commits. One patch you'll see entirely demo locks, then another entirely afflic, so on and so forth.

This cycle can't really happen in legion as specs are much more of a commitment than before, so the balance needed to be within decent margins. I wouldn't call a 60% single target and 300% AoE lowest to highest range decent margins lol. As a result, I feel like there are some specs that are simply nonexistant simply because one particular spec in the class trumps the rest.

Meanwhile, I'm also sitting here with a bank full of AP week after week waiting to see if they are going to bring up Fury's single target damage to at least mediocre. Waiting to see if I should even bother leveling my frost DK and putting a bunch of hours into another character if the damage is at least OK and not absolutely terrible.

arimanius

Monk and DH? If you run groups it's really obvious. They have minimal cooldown gating on their AoE so they are just constantly on for pretty much every pack, and it comes at almost no cost to single target damage, mobility, or defensives.

DH only have 2 defensive abilities. I find their single target damage good depending on the fight. Their AOE is off the charts of course. I always thought the plan for DH was a glass canon melee. So if they nerf their damage to much I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to their survive ability.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
DH only have 2 defensive abilities. I find their single target damage good depending on the fight. Their AOE is off the charts of course. I always thought the plan for DH was a glass canon melee. So if they nerf their damage to much I wouldn't mind seeing a buff to their survive ability.

Between our mobility, blur on a 1 min CD, metamorph 100% lifesteal (this is the absolutely insane one during a heavy damage phase), and darkness I really wouldn't call my DH a glass canon. I felt that was the intention too, but I definitely feel incredibly tanky in both pvp and pve just because of all the tools at my disposal compared to say my warrior (a plate class no less) lol.

cdyhybrid

Between our mobility, blur on a 1 min CD, metamorph 100% lifesteal, and darkness I really wouldn't call DH a glass canon. I felt that was the intention too, but I definitely feel incredibly tanky in both pvp and pve just because of all the tools at my disposal compared to say my warrior (a plate class no less) lol.
Blur is really your only consistent survival tool (and it's good, to be fair).

Meta leech is on a 5 minute CD so lol. Darkness has been nerfed into the ground so it's basically just an unlikely dice roll if you're relying on it to survive.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Blur is really your only consistent survival tool (and it's good, to be fair).

Meta leech is on a 5 minute CD so lol. Darkness has been nerfed into the ground so it's basically just an unlikely dice roll if you're relying on it to survive.

It's a 4 minute CD (everyone has the artifact trait), and can go down to 3 minutes with relics, not to mention it lasts 30 seconds. So for 30 entire seconds the healer doesn't have to care about me at all; I can even stand in all the shit I want. Like you say blur is incredibly powerful, and speaking outside of raw defensive CD's my mobility just gets me out of any danger immediately -- other classes have a much harder time of getting out of bad shit. Sure, darkness is lol @ 15%, but it's still an extra added bit of utility, just the icing.

Just relative to all the other specs I play, I find my DH to be one of the more resilient ones in both PvP and PvE. Fury warrior the absolute worst, and rogue/ret the best imo. DH is somewhere in the middle or above average in my eyes.

Artanisix

DH glass cannon
MingLee.png

cdyhybrid

It's a 4 minute CD (everyone has the artifact trait), and can go down to 3 minutes with relics, not to mention it lasts 30 seconds. So for 30 entire seconds the healer doesn't have to care about me at all; I can even stand in all the shit I want. Like you say blur is incredibly powerful, and speaking outside of raw defensive CD's my mobility just gets me out of any danger immediately -- other classes have a much harder time of getting out of bad shit. Sure, darkness is lol @ 15%, but it's still an extra added bit of utility, just the icing.

Just relative to all the other specs I play, I find my DH to be one of the more resilient ones in both PvP and PvE. Fury warrior the absolute worst, and rogue/ret the best imo. DH is somewhere in the middle or above average in my eyes.

Yeah, but relics need to actually drop before you can get that CDR, so that's a non-issue for me :p

Is that Havoc or Veng?

Havoc

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There are DPS specs that would kill for two+ strong defensive cooldowns. Blur is a one minute cooldown too, super nutty really. The only way to really justify DH survivability is to look at all the defensive cooldowns Rogue got to keep, but both are totally out of line with where other classes are at. And these classes with strong defensives also get some ridiculous stuns baseline that add a lot to how well they can survive.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I get the impression nobody ever runs balance on Rogues because its not worth nerfing a class nobody plays. Although last I read, I think Monks had surpassed them as least played class.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I get the impression nobody ever runs balance on Rogues because its not worth nerfing a class nobody plays. Although last I read, I think Monks had surpassed them as least played class.

Monks are lowest played largely by virtue of being a late addition that starts at level one. Lore concerns aren't the only reason Demon Hunter's start at 100.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Monks are lowest played largely by virtue of being a late addition that starts at level one. Lore concerns aren't the only reason Demon Hunter's start at 100.

I still find that at the Mythic 5s/pre-raid level I see way less Rogues than either Monks or Demon Hunters. That's certainly anecdotal, but I'm also the only person in my guild that even plays a Rogue past 100.

My problem so far is that Outlaw is a better spec in every real way than Assassination or Sub are. I tried leveling Assassination and then switched to Outlaw to give it a try and it was night and day. I figured it was maybe just a leveling thing, but no, Outlaw is just beast mode compared to either Sub or Mut at basically everything.

I wish Monks were a legitimate hero class that just started at 80 or 85 and had a similar requirement that Death Knights and Demon Hunters have, requiring a character on that server at a certain level and even limiting you to one per server.

Angry Grimace

I wish Monks were a legitimate hero class that just started at 80 or 85 and had a similar requirement that Death Knights and Demon Hunters have, requiring a character on that server at a certain level and even limiting you to one per server.

I don't think it would solve anything. A lot of the fervor to get familiar with a class is playing it when it launches, e.g. they would have had to have been Level 80 to start right when Mists came out.

Right now if you buy World of Warcraft you can get a Level 100 Monk for free, but I doubt its fixed that imbalance.

Tarazet

Monks get a huge XP boost from their daily quest though. I did RAF Monks with a friend and we were outleveling dungeons before they were even finished.

Monks get a huge XP boost from their daily quest though. I did RAF Monks with a friend and we were outleveling dungeons before they were even finished.

Grinding through Vanilla, TBC, WotLK and Cata dungeons for the umpteenth time--even with the Monk exp daily and RAF cheesing--doesn't sound as appealing as making a monk, playing through the Wandering Isle, being able to go right into MoP content with a bunch of bags, and licences up to lvl 70 flying.

Strimei

God I hate other players in Suramar's eastern areas. One current world quest involves killing three specific guys and most people are just tearing through the city and dragging a thousand mobs behind them into a tiny room to join an already chaotic fight.

Learn how to use CC for god's sake.

vocab

Everytime I play a monk, blizzard has to put a cap on the fun.

Buff other classes before you nerf. You want to know why monks and dh's obliterate trash? because our specs aren't made like total garbage.

arimanius

Buff other classes before you nerf. You want to know why monks and dh's obliterate trash? because our specs aren't made like total garbage.

I feel ya. I quit playing my WW monk in WoD. Went with DH this go around. Silly me. Luckily I'm an alt addict so tons of level 100s to occupy my time if it gets really bad.

dimb

Buff 25 specs or nerf two...which sounds more reasonable?

Lanrutcon

Wow.

Blizzard just nerfed the speed cloak chant from WoD.

I seriously question how Legion made it into release if there are obviously a million things Blizzard forgot to change.

Magnus

So I'm a level 100 paladin on my alt. Always went Holy or Ret. I want to go Prot for the journey to 110, and chose the Truthguard AF questline.

I have no shield or 1h weapon to speak of right now. Anything on the AH is absurdly priced. What do?

So I'm a level 100 paladin on my alt. Always went Holy or Ret. I want to go Prot for the journey to 110, and chose the Truthguard AF questline.

I have no shield or 1h weapon to speak of right now. Anything on the AH is absurdly priced. What do?

Paladin Order Hall Quartermaster sells weapons and shields, 100 gold each.

Angry Grimace

Wow.

Blizzard just nerfed the speed cloak chant from WoD.

I seriously question how Legion made it into release if there are obviously a million things Blizzard forgot to change.

The weirdest part is the failure to proofread the tooltips.

cdyhybrid

Paladin Order Hall Quartermaster sells weapons and shields, 100 gold each.

You don't have access to the class hall until after you get an artifact.

I completed the Prot quest while using a 2Her, so you should be able to do that if your gear isn't terrible.

dimb

Blizzard making archaeology even worse...dear god. Repetitive structured grinding restricted to one zone with a fixed reward, like why? And then they send you to the free for all PvP area to farm for your prize. TO WHAT END

Xeteh

I had the same issue, I just did it with a 2H. It wasn't too terrible, most fights you have something healing you.

Blizzard making archaeology even worse...dear god. Repetitive structured grinding restricted to one zone with a fixed reward, like why? And then they send you to the free for all PvP area to farm for your prize. TO WHAT END

Blizz does not give a shit about Arch and hasn't since Cata. I thought it would be better now that its easier to get fragments, they are closer together and spawn in one area but oh my God they have learned NOTHING about the actual placement. I have a digsite at Temple of Lights (the place with an enormous amount of elites) that is unusable.

Thats not even going into the weekly thing for a rare. "So every other profession gets specialized quest for stuff, what do we do for arch?" "Oh shit arch still exists, uhhhh....solve 25 Highborne items of wildly varying difficulty making it a pure RNG fest to whether or not you get a 35 piece relic or a 120 relic that both have the exact same benefit, fuck it!"

Remove arch plz so i can stop doing it.

CHC

Suramar City is just hands-down the best urban area WoW has ever designed, it's so good. I feel like they're totally gonna recycle it later as a player sanctuary. Wouldn't mind I guess, it pretty much puts any of the existing capitals to shame.

Also so glad this disguise mechanic isn't more annoying - it could have been consumable, timed, or both. It's pretty fun to work with.

Mupod

Suramar City is just hands-down the best urban area WoW has ever designed, it's so good. I feel like they're totally gonna recycle it later as a player sanctuary. Wouldn't mind I guess, it pretty much puts any of the existing capitals to shame.

Also so glad this disguise mechanic isn't more annoying - it could have been consumable, timed, or both. It's pretty fun to work with.

you sound like someone who hasn't hit 8000/12000 yet.

seriously though the scale of the place is impressive. Although I have to turn my graphics down a bit, I get 100+ fps everywhere but there.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I hope Shal'aran becomes a city proper eventually. Seems like we're building to that.

Magnus

You don't have access to the class hall until after you get an artifact.

I completed the Prot quest while using a 2Her, so you should be able to do that if your gear isn't terrible.

I had the same issue, I just did it with a 2H. It wasn't too terrible, most fights you have something healing you.

Got owned, but I was mostly button-mashing my way through since it's been over a year since I played this class, haha. I'll try again.

nvm - it was just that one swarm at the start of the Tomb. I'm good. Truthguard get!

Xeteh

Got owned, but I was mostly button-mashing my way through since it's been over a year since I played this class, haha. I'll try again.

There was a couple fights where I had to blow cooldowns to stay alive. It is totally possible, though.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Blizzard Dev said:
We’ve identified and hotfixed an issue that could cause Legion legendary items to drop more frequently than intended, if a player had already received their first legendary.

Thanks to everyone who reported this - the ability to look at specific cases where this was and wasn’t happening was invaluable for isolating what exactly was causing this bug to occur.

mileS

Way to go blizzard. Strike of the windlord is a freakin 40 sec cd. How is that going to make a massive difference for aoe in the end? Just going spoil my solo experience. Pretty sour right now but I'll hold off until I hear what exactly the change will be.

Top Bottom