• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Tenebrous

Can anyone confirm that legendaries drop from the treasures across the zones? I've gone across Azsuna & Val'sharah so far & made a decent chunk of gold & AP while doing so, but obviously no sight of the orange.

ampere

I mean, Monks easily had the highest tier of mobility when they came out. Better than Demon Hunter in a number of ways.

Monk mobility is great, and Roll and Transcendence can help immensely in combat. But double jump lets DH get to places that no other class can, and it has no cooldown. A bit ridiculous I think.

erawsd

Monk mobility is great, and Roll and Transcendence can help immensely in combat. But double jump lets DH get to places that no other class can, and it has no cooldown. A bit ridiculous I think.

Double Jump is great for traversal but in combat Monk is still king of mobility.

Brokun

They could have had Demo as a bi-spec like Feral Druids.

I don't think 'they should never had those abilities' is a valid argument either. Those abilities fit the class; Warlocks summon demons using fel energy and get them to do their shit, and could use that energy to meta themselves into a demon to go fucking crazy. Versus Demon Hunters who are supposed to be killing demons but can turn into the very thing it's designed to destroy. Hmm.

Well sure except Demon Hunters have had Metamorphosis since Warcraft 3, you know, like 14 years ago? It could be argued that Warlocks had the ability on loan. They kept the toilet seat warm until Demon Hunters returned. 😛

ampere

Double Jump is great for traversal but in combat Monk is still king of mobility.

Yeah my frustration is largely how double jump can skip massive amounts of terrain that other classes have no way to, and it has no cooldown. In a boss encounter I'm very happy with Monk mobility.

Flintty

Well sure except Demon Hunters have had Metamorphosis since Warcraft 3, you know, like 14 years ago? It could be argued that Warlocks had the ability on loan. They kept the toilet seat warm until Demon Hunters returned. 😛

I concede your point (never played WIII) but still makes more sense as a warlock ;)

Been leveling my Hunter alt, and goddamn, I love MM! The damage and AoE is sick, my mobility is nuts (disengage on 20sec CD with a 6 second 60% movement speed increase, on top of the movement buff from the artifact), good self-healing, FD, stealth... feelsgoodman.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
They could have had Demo as a bi-spec like Feral Druids.

I don't think 'they should never had those abilities' is a valid argument either. Those abilities fit the class; Warlocks summon demons using fel energy and get them to do their shit, and could use that energy to meta themselves into a demon to go fucking crazy. Versus Demon Hunters who are supposed to be killing demons but can turn into the very thing it's designed to destroy. Hmm.

No point me going on about it though (it is indeed a bone of contention) it'll never go back to what it was. Unless drain tank spec...

Oh and they may celebrate the uptake of DHs now but when every other person is playing them they'll be nerfed to shit, like DKs initially were. If not, gg Blizzard you made World of Demonhuntercraft.
Introducing a new spec to a class would be a disaster I think. Huge waste of resources to deliver something to people who do not necessarily want it. And at that point you are bolting pieces on to a kit that can fail to have generalized uses. How much of a tanking Warlock's kit can realistically find its way into the other specs without feeling weird?

Breaking Demon Hunters off into their own class was obviously the right move with how popular they are, and they can do way more with the class, and they're able to get both a DPS and tank spec out of the concepts. It was a mistake to give Warlocks tools that clearly belonged to Demon Hunters based on the lore, and it did take the class to a place that really had no familiarity to its original concept. Should Blizzard have taken account of Demon Hunters eventually arriving as their own class? Probably given the demand for them over the years, though that is easier to say when we have the proof afterwards.

CHC

I mean, they're edge incarnate.

A lord of it, if you will.

The whole "I've given EVERYTHING", the tattoos, the horns and stuff...

They've got wounds that do not heal.

I think one of the things I dislike most about Demon Hunter is how limited it is in terms of, to use Blizzard's term, "class fantasy."

Like... they are ALL elves, the ALL have tattoos, they are ALL blind, they ALL use glaives and only glaives, etc. There are various different incarnations of all the other classes, but with DH they are just pretty much clones of Illidan. I know that's established in the lore, but it just makes for a pretty flat seeming class that I'm not that interested in.

Even Death Knights and some others which are kind of.... lore-limited still manage to have some pretty decent variety. But Demon Hunters are just like literally all the exact same.

And the whole ultra-serious tone is really stupid too. Played a couple levels with one and yeah, the mobility and stuff is fun, but it's not something I can see myself getting attached to.

Sölf

I think one of the things I dislike most about Demon Hunter is how limited it is in terms of, to use Blizzard's term, "class fantasy."

Like... they are ALL elves, the ALL have tattoos, they are ALL blind, they ALL use glaives and only glaives, etc. There are various different incarnations of all the other classes, but with DH they are just pretty much clones of Illidan. I know that's established in the lore, but it just makes for a pretty flat seeming class that I'm not that interested in.

Even Death Knights and some others which are kind of.... lore-limited still manage to have some pretty decent variety. But Demon Hunters are just like literally all the exact same.

And the whole ultra-serious tone is really stupid too. Played a couple levels with one and yeah, the mobility and stuff is fun, but it's not something I can see myself getting attached to.

Considering all were trained by Illidan, as he was basically the only exisiting Demon Hunter, this actually makes sense. Now in a few expansions, I could see Blizzard expanding on this (like they did in Cata with stuff like Tauren Paladins or the Monks in MoP). But right now? I think this is more than enough.

Strimei

I don't mind the Elf-only thing (though honestly I think it should be expanded to Draenei and Orcs, if only because I love playing Draenei) but yeah they're a bit dumb in ways like that. They really are an utter clone of Illidan, which I guess is a draw for some.

I still prefer my monk's mobility, in any event.

Speaking of, doing the campaign for my monk alt now and I seriously have to use crackling jade lightning 100 times? Seriously? Ugh, I'm a windwalker, I use my fists, damn it.

Vengeance's resource is called "Pain".

Haha, I forgot that.

I opened up Arcway and Court of Stars last night, and I have a few quests in both, so I'm gonna probably try to knock those out tomorrow night.

Anyone been there? Are they pretty tough? I'm gonna watch videos of course but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also, if I make my own group, (which is likely) what item level should I be asking people to be?

Strimei

I opened up Arcway and Court of Stars last night, and I have a few quests in both, so I'm gonna probably try to knock those out tomorrow night.

Anyone been there? Are they pretty tough? I'm gonna watch videos of course but I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Also, if I make my own group, (which is likely) what item level should I be asking people to be?

They weren't too bad, honestly some of the trash is what proved hardest.

There are wandering ghosts in Arcway that continually cast a spell that hits everyone (and I think it doesn't care if you've gone around a corner, she'll keep casting) that lowers healing/damage (I think damage, defeinitely the former at least). They're a real pain. Nothing else about Arcway stands out, though one thing ot bear in mind is that there are a lot of locked doors that guide you along a specific path, so look at the map (the actual map).

Court of Stars, similar with the trash. My group hated these imps especially, as they have this aoe fire eruption thing that just whittles you down like mad. Also, a tip, when you go for the second boss, look around for things like statues and stuff to destroy, it'll draw away her support (and you REALLY want to do this, at least from my experience). But make sure you only do it one at a time, if you get a bunch of her support at once it gets painful.

Sölf

They aren't really harder than the other Mythic dungeons, so 820-830 should be more than enough I think. The endboss of Court of Stars is probably the hardest DPS check in the 5 man dungeons (the only other exception being Blood Princess, which is also a rather harsh DPS check). Arcway has the more interesting bosses imo, with the endboss being one of the cooler 5 man bosses (which says a lot with all the great bosses we got this expansion).

Edit:
Oh yeah, both dungeons have some nasty trash packs. But then again, most of the Legion dungeons have at least THAT ONE MOB that is utterly ridiculous.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Neither Arc nor Court are very difficult but Arc has some tricky mechanics.

Sölf

How do legendary drops work? Are they based on your loot spec, or are they random?

Based on your loot specc. Some Legendaries are "neutral", so every class and specc can get them. I am one of the lucky ones who got two - both were neutral ones. >_>

Kangi

Did both of them with a relatively newbie-ish group last week. Only died once in Arcway, as we wiped to the final boss 'cause people got turned around.

Died all over the place in Court of Stars to the trash.

Tenebrous

Sölf;217036620 said:
Based on your loot specc. Some Legendaries are "neutral", so every class and specc can get them. I am one of the lucky ones who got two - both were neutral ones. >_>

I'd cry. The movement speed/haste on CC might actually work nicely for mythic+ (thanks, Shockwave!), but other than that, I wouldn't take either the ring or the neck (even as stat sticks).

Sölf

I'd cry. The movement speed/haste on CC might actually work nicely for mythic+ (thanks, Shockwave!), but other than that, I wouldn't take either the ring or the neck (even as stat sticks).

Yeah, I have both of those... xD

I mean, the neck is okay for survival. It saved me on my very first Mythic run of Black Rook Hold when 3 ghosts came through and had 1,44 million HP and took (with the neck and anti magic shell) 1,4 million damage. xD

But the class specific one are just so much better.

Tenebrous

Sölf;217038669 said:
Yeah, I have both of those... xD

I mean, the neck is okay for survival. It saved me on my very first Mythic run of Black Rook Hold when 3 ghosts came through and had 1,44 million HP and took (with the neck and anti magic shell) 1,4 million damage. xD

But the class specific one are just so much better.

As a tank stacking haste/versa, a mastery/crit neck that'd never proc in mythic+ content is about as uninteresting as it gets. Maybe in raids it'd be useful at times, but I'm unconvinced.

Now, Kakushan's Stormscale Gauntlets... *Drools* Anything which is a DPS increase is fine by me. And the Manno bracers after the buff, holy moly they're looking ridiculous!

CHC

Sölf;217035600 said:
Considering all were trained by Illidan, as he was basically the only exisiting Demon Hunter, this actually makes sense. Now in a few expansions, I could see Blizzard expanding on this (like they did in Cata with stuff like Tauren Paladins or the Monks in MoP). But right now? I think this is more than enough.

I mean yeah I get the reasons why I just think it's a little flat. Like when Wrath launched you saw tons of different sorts of Death Knight NPCs even within the starting zone. Ones who were psychotic plague experimenters, others who where harsh military masters, etc.

I get that the lore dictates DHs are all pretty much the same, I just think it makes for a bit of a one-note class. Which in the past was always sort of a reason cited why they weren't in the game (not cited by Blizzard, just players I mean).

Megasoum

Banned
I'm setting up Z-Perl (I used to have X-Perl back in the days).

Is it not possible anymore to make a frame go transparent when you're out of range or I'm just not finding the setting in the options?

Edit: NVM, found it!

Edit2: Looks like the Range Finder is broken on Z-Perl... Bleh

sora87

I've been trying to get the armageddon sword from 25M naxx for so long now, it just won't drop, I've got nearly everything else I want from old raids except for that. Want it for my warrior. So annoying!

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
This is one term I don't want dragged into wow. terrible.

that's because they made them goofier in the legion lore to make demon hunters look more COOL AND BADASS

just look at the goofy skeletor-like written tehd shoemaker and the dumbass demon hunter he hangs out with

Megasoum

Banned
If I want to move my UI settings (addon configs mostly) between two computers do I just need to copy the Interface folder? Are the settings all stored in that folder?

Mupod

Can we get a caster hero class? 3/3 for melee classes added is weird.

I feel like there aren't a lot of options for new classes if they want to stick with what we know from Warcraft. Goblin/gnome engineers with mechs would be the obvious route for another hero class. But just about every other hero/unit in Warcraft 3 has been represented in some way unless you get into stuff like Naga.

Lots of options for new races of course.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Necromancer, Tinkerer, or Bard. One of the three.

Probably Tinkerer or Bard because they would be most likely to have Mail armor

Of the WarCraft III hero units, the ones that stand out to me the most are Blademaster, Warden and Shadow Hunter, but I don't think they would be different enough from Warrior, Rogue and Shadow Priest/Shaman to become a hero class. There's also the issue that Wardens are exclusively Night Elves and Shadow Hunters exclusively trolls. I'm sure they could finagle Blademasters being more then Orcs even though thats a Burning Blade and Warsong thing

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Can we get a caster hero class? 3/3 for melee classes added is weird.

They really should have made the DH third spec some sort of caster, soul-weaver/flayer/eater/bender/whatever. Class fantasy: hyper mobile ranged class that tears at an enemies soul ez.

Top Bottom