• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

mclem

We have a couple of druid healers in the guild, a couple of holy pallies, and one holy priest.

I'm noticing that I feel a lot less comfortable - as a prot paladin - being healed in Mythic 5's by the holy priest than I am by the other healers - being healed by *another* healer my self-healing is about 25% of my total healing - when being healed by the holy priest, it's more like 45%. Are there any gotchas I should be looking out for that might suggest he'd benefit from changing his healing style?

(Fair's fair, it's also quite possible that the groups I've been in with the holy priest may have had more stand-in-the-fire DPSers than those I've had with the other healers; they tend to come as a package!)

(I should mention that in our raids, he's the lowest HPS healer, but not particularly significantly and considerably above both tanks, so he may also be more suited to raids in general)

StMeph

Accessories are really messed up in Legion. I'm not sure why they were handled differently from cloaks, which now carry all three main stats, but not having it at all is really messing with progression.

I'm currently using an 835 neck with BIS secondaries. Yesterday I get an 850 neck with meh secondaries, so I check MrRobot to see if it's better at all. Not only is the 850 not better, the Mythic 880 version of the same neck would STILL be inferior to my existing neck.

This happens with three other slots, so I could be 851, but I'm wearing 848.

Hailstorm typically does a little more than 10% of my damage, but with scaling from Mastery it can go as high as 15% in some logs I've seen. But, in most Mythic dungeons, the trash is more dangerous than the bosses, and the extra haste gives you more uses of Crash Lightning. I prefer to use AS for dungeons and Hailstorm for raids.
Yeah that's probably the way to go. Hailstorm is a bit lackluster in shorter fights (WQs, trash), but with my current gear it's more than 10k increase for pure single target DPS.

Accessories are really messed up in Legion. I'm not sure why they were handled differently from cloaks, which now carry all three main stats, but not having it at all is really messing with progression.

I'm currently using an 835 neck with BIS secondaries. Yesterday I get an 850 neck with meh secondaries, so I check MrRobot to see if it's better at all. Not only is the 850 not better, the Mythic 880 version of the same neck would STILL be inferior to my existing neck.

This happens with three other slots, so I could be 851, but I'm wearing 848.

Secondary stats are in general super wonky for a bunch of specs. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, gearing correctly takes a little more effort and class knowledge than it did, but at the same time there are classes that can easily forgoe 20+ Ilvls because their top secondary is literal orders of magnitude better than their worst.

Did Blizz talk about this at all, prerelease? Because as far as I know the current stat paradigm goes against what they intend.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Post hotfix Arcane Mage, mythic Maw: went from competing with the tank for fourth place to topping the DPS charts on bosses and trash. Hard to say with only one data point but so far I'm liking it. Raid tonight for a proper test; hoping to at least end up somewhere in the middle of the DPS chart instead right at the bottom.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Secondary stats are in general super wonky for a bunch of specs. I don't know how I feel about it. On the one hand, gearing correctly takes a little more effort and class knowledge than it did, but at the same time there are classes that can easily forgoe 20+ Ilvls because their top secondary is literal orders of magnitude better than their worst.

Did Blizz talk about this at all, prerelease? Because as far as I know the current stat paradigm goes against what they intend.

It's definitely not what they intended, but I haven't seen any comments about it yet. When an item with haste is better than an item 20 ilvls higher without haste, that isn't a compelling gearing choice. It means something is fucked in how that spec functions because it needs haste to not be terrible.

Robin64

Was there supposed to be two world bosses this week?

People "in the know" spread around that there would be 3 up at any one time, after 3 have spawned in the first 3 weeks, with the oldest being switched out for the newest. They knew wrong.

mclem

It's definitely not what they intended, but I haven't seen any comments about it yet. When an item with haste is better than an item 20 ilvls higher without haste, that isn't a compelling gearing choice. It means something is fucked in how that spec functions because it needs haste to not be terrible.

It's an interesting catch-22; the principle is meant to be that the simple increase in multiplier that comes from having a higher iLvl will make items better by default, but that doesn't really impact if the multiplier is applied to unattractive stats. From a prot paladin POV, the simple fact that everything comes with stamina tends to mean that iLvl increases alone are sufficient to be attractive, but stamina's not desirable to other classes.

In principle, would it work if every accessory item had Versatility on it? Possibly tweaked to make Versatility more desirable in itself for some classes, but at least on paper that would mean by default that higher iLvl would make you more powerful in your principal role.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Wasn't feeling Goblin Female Hunter so just swapped to Blood Elf Female and much prefer it, I'm so cute! My friend paid for it as I'm broke so I gave him 80k gold, poor sod is getting drilled with raiding costs ATM.

It's an interesting catch-22; the principle is meant to be that the simple increase in multiplier that comes from having a higher iLvl will make items better by default, but that doesn't really impact if the multiplier is applied to unattractive stats. From a prot paladin POV, the simple fact that everything comes with stamina tends to mean that iLvl increases alone are sufficient to be attractive, but stamina's not desirable to other classes.

In principle, would it work if every accessory item had Versatility on it? Possibly tweaked to make Versatility more desirable in itself for some classes, but at least on paper that would mean by default that higher iLvl would make you more powerful in your principal role.

Well, the trouble is that there are some classes whose Versatility is better than even their primary stat. You start putting versatility on everything and you're directly buffing Outlaw rogues by a kind of silly amount, I believe Vengeance DH also wants it now with the mastery nerf but that's anecdotal. Then there are classes where Vers is their worst stat by far.

Really, where they fucked up is allowing any secondary to overtake primary stats. I don't think the system can really make sense if Vers or Haste is better than Agi or Int.

Lanrutcon

Well, the trouble is that there are some classes whose Versatility is better than even their primary stat. You start putting versatility on everything and you're directly buffing Outlaw rogues by a kind of silly amount, I believe Vengeance DH also wants it now with the mastery nerf but that's anecdotal. Then there are classes where Vers is their worst stat by far.

Really, where they fucked up is allowing any secondary to overtake primary stats. I don't think the system can really make sense if Vers or Haste is better than Agi or Int.

They fucked up by getting creative with what secondaries actually do.

Destro lock says "Hey, why does my mastery suck ass?" and "Hey, why do my Chaos Bolts not use crit properly?" as they stack haste on haste on haste.

I got flamed for low dps by some dude posting the numbers for total. get outta here, i'm managing my fantasy team while swiping every once in awhile. Then I was like "Ok fine, post the numbers I'm about to turn shit up on Shade of Xavius. Every silence and every "get away from everyone else" spell was cast on me lol. I just sat in the corner, couldn't even get a rake or shred in. God damn it.

Mupod

I really, really need to get my druid leveled and pick some flowers. For now I've got money but even then I'm resorting to cutting deals with guildies because prices are so batshit.

I knew they'd be bad and I stockpiled early on. But I underestimated how bad the material costs for potions/flasks actually were.

frequency

I forgot how "toxic" WoW could be. Attempt one of day one of week one of LFR and people are already raging that others aren't performing perfectly.

(About half the raid died in the Il'gynoth heart room)

StMeph

In my example an 880 is worse than 835. That's 45 item levels, which is more than a whole tier jump between raids, and the 835 doesn't even have a socket. We already know sockets are super overweight, which also makes socketed items ridiculously hard to replace.

Edit:
I forgot how "toxic" WoW could be. Attempt one of day one of week one of LFR and people are already raging that others aren't performing perfectly.

Not to defend abuse, because it can be handled in a better fashion, but is it really too much to expect people to read the Dungeon Journal included in the game? At what point do we completely absolve people of any responsibility and just literally carry them to the end for loot?

Robin64

Fucking noobs should already have experience from when they ran it on Normal/Heroic. And if not by now, why the fuck not?

Yeah, I can't wait to dive into LFR Wing 1 when I get home :)

Mining and JC prices tanked :(. I was selling Furystones and Dawnstones for like 2k a pop. I could triple my money on a stack of felslate. Cut dawnstones were really high too but they also dropped. Luckily I made a bunch of money, at least demand will be fairly constant. I made about 70k just from mining and prospecting stuff that I found while leveling. No crazy farming sprees.

crpav

Then I should consider my run of it last night basically "Is this real life...LFR?". Queue was super fast, no complaining, just went smooth. Whoever was lead did a simple yet effective raid warnings when to do mechanics and some how everyone listened. No wipes and only a few people died from dumb things like falling off the cliff.

Was funny when the only comments in raid chat were "Is this LFR?" "LOL" and such when nobody died at all on that eye boss. I have a feeling next weeks run won't be as good...

My only rant is it takes this long to release the LFR and gear is at or under what I already have from world quests. What's the point beyond experiencing the content then?

Entropia

No One Remembers
Then I should consider my run of it last night basically "Is this real life...LFR?". Queue was super fast, no complaining, just went smooth. Whoever was lead did a simple yet effective raid warnings when to do mechanics and some how everyone listened. No wipes and only a few people died from dumb things like falling off the cliff.

Was funny when the only comments in raid chat were "Is this LFR?" "LOL" and such when nobody died at all on that eye boss. I have a feeling next weeks run won't be as good...

My only rant is it takes this long to release the LFR and gear is at or under what I already have from world quests. What's the point beyond experiencing the content then?

The intent with LFR is pretty much to only experience the content.

I'm probably going to hit up LFR on my Prot Pally tonight.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I

Not to defend abuse, because it can be handled in a better fashion, but is it really too much to expect people to read the Dungeon Journal included in the game? At what point do we completely absolve people of any responsibility and just literally carry them to the end for loot?

This is definitely valid. It was passable back in the day when you had to look up videos or wowhead or whatever to have any idea of what a boss did, but now that there are easy to use in-game resources there really is no excuse for not at least having some idea of what a boss does.

Robin64

In WoD, LFR was the source of the highest gear for some people. World Quests now make that not the case. I'll run each wing of Emerald Nightmare just once to see it, but I can't see any reason to do more than that. Compare that to WoD where I ran all the raid wings several times a week for the Legendary quest items and better gear. (Though to be fair, that tired me out so much, so this way might be better)

My LFR today was mostly people chatting about having sex with gnomes. So just your regular LFR chat I guess.

No one died in Il'gynoth's room because we killed him before he had the chance to do that. I forgot just how easy they tune LFR.

CHC

Ugh you know I think I'm just fed up with Arms fucking fiddly ass arrhythmic rotation. It's just not fun in a dungeon / raid setting. Not fun whatsoever.

M.D

I didn't realize the gloves I got from the world boss are quite as good as they are until I realized they are Mythic level gear and only 10 levels from a legendary ;d

frequency

Reading the Dungeon Journal isn't going to guarantee perfect execution. You can read that you should leave the room but in the moment you might not realize you're currently experiencing the thing you just read in the journal. You might not realize in the 10 second countdown that THIS is the thing you read about. Not to mention it wasn't even the first boss so you might not have every mechanic of every boss memorized. People rush forward in LFR so you can't exactly read it on the fly per boss.

This is LFR. It's for casuals. No one is doing that much research. Everyone got it the 2nd time. No need to rage.

So, no, you're not expected to carry people who won't put the tiniest amount of effort to contribute. But you can't expect perfect execution on every mechanic on attempt one on day one of week one in LFR. Calm down. A wipe isn't that big a deal.

Mupod

I mean I wouldn't rag on people in LFR for playing like brainless idiots because that's the expectation, and I question why anyone would go in there expecting pro level players. The dungeon journal doesn't always explain everything nor does it always make sense without context. But if your delicate sensibilities are in danger of being offended and you don't know the boss - fucking ask. I've only done LFR a few times but every time someone asked for help they got it.

EN normal in general was surprisingly easy if I compare it directly to Highmaul. Xavius vs Imperator for example, the latter required the entire raid to know mechanics whereas on Xavius you have a ton of wiggle room if at least half the group is playing properly. The ramp up in heroic is very significant though, at least based on Nythendra and Ursoc.

scy

Hey it actually helped me. But yeah it seems it'll boil down to 'taunt at two stacks of overwhelm but only when you don't have rend'. Pretty straightforward.

It's more straightforward than that: Other tank got a debuff? Taunt. It all times itself out that way. You can try to minimize bleed tank uptime by waiting it out but then you can get into talk of split healing vs one tank taking all the damage and that swap all happens around the charge + reposition anyway.

So, no, you're not expected to carry people who won't put the tiniest amount of effort to contribute. But you can't expect perfect execution on every mechanic on attempt one on day one of week one in LFR. Calm down. A wipe isn't that big a deal.

While I agree with all this, I will say I feel like this is also the sort of mechanic you kind of expect people to just die to at first but basically never again. It has that binary "gotcha!" factor to it.

oakenhild

In WoD, LFR was the source of the highest gear for some people. World Quests now make that not the case. I'll run each wing of Emerald Nightmare just once to see it, but I can't see any reason to do more than that. Compare that to WoD where I ran all the raid wings several times a week for the Legendary quest items and better gear. (Though to be fair, that tired me out so much, so this way might be better)

Is the higher level gear in the boxes you open after completing 4 of the world quests? If not, is it actually in the individual quests? I'm 2 days into doing world quests, and pretty happy with the system.

I know if I have to grind LFR that I'm basically done with the expansion. LFR is just mindless pew pewing as DPS. Without friends to banter with and the risk of danger in raids, it's extremely boring after the first run or two.

Robin64

Is the higher level gear in the boxes you open after completing 4 of the world quests? If not, is it actually in the individual quests? I'm 2 days into doing world quests, and pretty happy with the system.

I've had nothing from the caches, but the individual world quests get higher and higher base items as your own ilvl increases.

spootime

Ugh you know I think I'm just fed up with Arms fucking fiddly ass arrhythmic rotation. It's just not fun in a dungeon / raid setting. Not fun whatsoever.

Yeah I quit mine. SItting out a full duration colossus smash cooldown is the most frustrating feeling i've had playing this game

Somnia

I made an Arms warrior, but haven't really done much with him. Is their rotation literally just using a macro of slam/fury, hitting MS when it's up and smash/MS combo? Mix in a couple cooldowns, but that's it? Seems like you have to almost sit around hitting nothing waiting on MS to cooldown at times lol

Maybe I'm missing something.

M.D

Hmm is there an optimal way to farm herbs? I'm using Gathermate 2 but it shows me all the nods on the map and 99.9% of them are empty

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I've had nothing from the caches, but the individual world quests get higher and higher base items as your own ilvl increases.

A part of me wonders if the (anecdotal, to be fair) toning down of WQs with gear rewards on my newly-110 alts has something to do with the imbalance of crafting gear, and how absolutely absurd it is to compare the Obliterum Forge costs to get up to 840/850, and compare that to a lucky heroic or WQ titanforge proc.

My Ret was sitting at 843 prior to doing the two mythics I've done, with a handful of heroics.

The caches, meanwhile, seem to be all 810/820, and proc less (though admittedly, this is anecdotal, at best).

Could be they're just meant to help get new 110s over the hump to reach ilevel 810, though.

Fjordson

Anyone in here finished the shaman order hall questline? How many of those long "do 5 of these 12 hour scouting missions" quests are there?

Ooh, that's cool.

I enjoy the world quest system, but was worried it'd be obsolete after a few days for me. Already up to 825, too high for the gear rewards I was seeing initially.

M.D

Anyone in here finished the shaman order hall questline? How many of those long "do 5 of these 12 hour scouting missions" quests are there?

Ooh, that's cool.

I enjoy the world quest system, but was worried it'd be obsolete after a few days for me. Already up to 825, too high for the gear rewards I was seeing initially.

I had 2 sets of these as a Rogue and remember at least one set of these as a Demon Hunter, so pretty sure there's 2 for every class

Fjordson

I had 2 sets of these as a Rogue and remember at least one set of these as a Demon Hunter, so pretty sure there's 2 for every class
Oh so there can be 2? Hmm, maybe it's not busted then.

I had a set of 5 scouting missions to do and finished the final one yesterday, but when I logged in my main order hall dude had a brand new set of 5 scouting missions all of a sudden. Thought it had reset my progress or something.

Mupod

on the subject of WQ gear I'm still so very confused by the warden tower rewards. They said they changed them to drop gear appropriate to honor levels - I'm honor 25 and they still only drop either 805 blues or 840 gladiator gear. Nothing in between. If I get to 50 will it all be gladiator stuff or still just as random?

cdyhybrid

I have already made peace with the fact that if I'm doing stuff with randoms I'm probably going to have to carry them. Gives things an extra challenge and it's better for my blood pressure.

CHC

This is becoming unbelievable. Two weeks of clearing every mythic, used coins on applicable bosses, still no blood relic. I still have a green, it's driving me absolutely insane. And I'm Arms warrior - probably the most weapon dependent spec in the game! Rrrrrgh.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just did vault heroic on my 814 (817 after some gloves in there) Demo Lock and the dmg seems as depressing as ever :/

Top Bottom