• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Somnia

So as a Demon Hunter Havoc (still can't decide which to main my Havoc or Destro Warlock yet) should I no longer take Bloodlet and get Fel instead? Even at 150% I feel Bloodlet is worth it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I've had nothing from the caches, but the individual world quests get higher and higher base items as your own ilvl increases.

I'm pretty sure the individual world quests do not give better gear as your ilvl goes up.

The blue rewards have been 815-825-830 from the beginning for me and now that I'm 843, the rewards are still pretty much the same. There's a few rare quests with purple 835-840 rewards, but again, I've had these rare quests even when I was still wearing a few 800 blues.

CHC

Yeah I quit mine. SItting out a full duration colossus smash cooldown is the most frustrating feeling i've had playing this game

Yeah it's feast or famine, really. Either I sit awkwardly doing nothing or hitting Slam or a non CS'ed Mortal Strike.... or I'm drowning in Tactician procs and I can't hit the buttons fast enough, can't stack Focused Rage fast enough, etc.

DPS swings SO wildly. I've done single target for ~225k and then again for ~140k depending only on procs and just annoying random shit I can't control.

It just feels so.... off. It's like a really awkward whack-a-mole game. I'm getting a little more used to it in Mythics but I can't help feeling that most other classes would be more fun and fluid.

I made an Arms warrior, but haven't really done much with him. Is their rotation literally just using a macro of slam/fury, hitting MS when it's up and smash/MS combo? Mix in a couple cooldowns, but that's it? Seems like you have to almost sit around hitting nothing waiting on MS to cooldown at times lol

Maybe I'm missing something.

Basically you charge in, hit Focused Rage twice, then I pop Battle Cry + Avatar, another FR, and Colossus Smash + Mortal Strike. It's a GREAT opener and feels amazing, usually clocks in over a million damage on the MS. But then after that you kinda just sit around alternating Slam and FR until 3 stacks. THEN shit gets really awkward once you are sitting on 3 stacks but don't have a Tactician proc. You're kind of forced to waste the 3 stacks on a non-CS'ed Mortal Strike, which is just shitty.

Either that or you sit on your open MS button until Tactician (maybe) procs. When the stars align it's awesome, but too often they don't and you're forced to kind of just sit there awkwardly using abilites in a sub-optimal way. Wasting the triple FR on a Mortal Strike without CS is the worst feeling, especially when Tactician procs right after that.

cdyhybrid

So as a Demon Hunter Havoc (still can't decide which to main my Havoc or Destro Warlock yet) should I no longer take Bloodlet and get Fel instead? Even at 150% I feel Bloodlet is worth it.
Sims say the same talents are still the best. We just do less damage now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
This is becoming unbelievable. Two weeks of clearing every mythic, used coins on applicable bosses, still no blood relic. I still have a green, it's driving me absolutely insane. And I'm Arms warrior - probably the most weapon dependent spec in the game! Rrrrrgh.

IIRC there's a crafted 815 Blood Relic recipe for Blacksmiths. It's probably related to a rep requirement, though.

edit: Terrorspike - Recipe drops from Maw Heroic

CHC

IIRC there's a crafted 815 Blood Relic recipe for Blacksmiths. It's probably related to a rep requirement, though.

edit: Terrorspike - Recipe drops from Maw Heroic

Thanks, there's a few on my server selling for like 6k. I could buy it I guess but I know as soon as I do one of them is going to drop haha... we'll see.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Thanks, there's a few on my server selling for like 6k. I could buy it I guess but I know as soon as I do one of them is going to drop haha... we'll see.

Just as a correction, it's only 805, sorry.

Relics do seem to be a (potentially) pretty big limiter on artifact strength, which is kind of funny, considering that weapon acquirability is one of the reasons why Blizz gave out artifacts in the first place

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just finished the Warlock campaign and it didnt unlock the third slot on my weapons so...what?

Talking about LFR

Did the eye boss yesterday

Nobody was getting out of the heart room, so I told my friend to get out since it was his first time too

Like 20 people died in it looool, everyone was like WTF

we had a good laugh

CHC

Just as a correction, it's only 805, sorry.

Relics do seem to be a (potentially) pretty big limiter on artifact strength, which is kind of funny, considering that weapon acquirability is one of the reasons why Blizz gave out artifacts in the first place

Yeah either way I'm just going to wait it out for a proper drop but mannnnnnnn it's really driving me crazy. Can't even really tell where my DPS should be at because I'm 17 item levels behind the curve on my weapon, and as a warrior, weapon damage is literally everything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
You'll have a quest in your class hall to do that. You go stand in front of your artifact forge and hold your weapon up and it's done...

completely missed that, guess ill go look for it. Thank you

N1nwggk.jpg

Woo, no more Ritual of Doom. Got the Blood one on DK from the withered chest a few days ago too. Now someone just needs to figure out where the UH hidden comes from.

I'm pretty sure the individual world quests do not give better gear as your ilvl goes up.

The blue rewards have been 815-825-830 from the beginning for me and now that I'm 843, the rewards are still pretty much the same. There's a few rare quests with purple 835-840 rewards, but again, I've had these rare quests even when I was still wearing a few 800 blues.

They definitely do. There's always a chance you'll see an epic 835+ when your ilvl is 800, but you'll see more of them when your ilvl is 840.

It's already confirmed to scale for Honor level (for the PvP quests), so I can't imagine they wouldn't use the same thing for the other quests.

Arcayne

DH is now at ilvl 844 completely from World Quests. I've done less than a handful of heroic dungeons and no mythics so far. Initially I thought I would just play Havoc to dps and call it a day. But, I've REALLY grown to prefer vengeance for both pve and pvp. Nothing like being able to easily solo 2-3 ppl and come out unscathed. Not to mention there are more utility spells (& spells in general) to use compared to Havoc.

That said, I haven't played a tank spec since TBC, so 'tanking anxiety' is coming in full force. I just got over the fear of tanking normal dungeons a few days ago, and by that I mean not sweating profusely through my palms at every dungeon queue. Next goal is to tank in EN Normal/LFR, but I'm too chicken shit to just do it. FeelsBadMan.

Apathy

I mean I wouldn't rag on people in LFR for playing like brainless idiots because that's the expectation, and I question why anyone would go in there expecting pro level players. The dungeon journal doesn't always explain everything nor does it always make sense without context. But if your delicate sensibilities are in danger of being offended and you don't know the boss - fucking ask. I've only done LFR a few times but every time someone asked for help they got it.

EN normal in general was surprisingly easy if I compare it directly to Highmaul. Xavius vs Imperator for example, the latter required the entire raid to know mechanics whereas on Xavius you have a ton of wiggle room if at least half the group is playing properly. The ramp up in heroic is very significant though, at least based on Nythendra and Ursoc.

Eh, not that big of a difference to be honest. Maybe a few more DPS checks, but if you execute it fine on normal you'll be fine in heroic. The additional one or two abilities each boss gets aren't really hard to deal with.

cdyhybrid

DH is now at ilvl 844 completely from World Quests. I've done less than a handful of heroic dungeons and no mythics so far. Initially I thought I would just play Havoc to dps and call it a day. But, I've REALLY grown to prefer vengeance for both pve and pvp. Nothing like being able to easily solo 2-3 ppl and come out unscathed. Not to mention there are more utility spells (& spells in general) to use compared to Havoc.

That said, I haven't played a tank spec since TBC, so 'tanking anxiety' is coming in full force. I just got over the fear of tanking normal dungeons a few days ago, and by that I mean not sweating profusely through my palms at every dungeon queue. Next goal is to tank in EN Normal/LFR, but I'm too chicken shit to just do it. FeelsBadMan.
Tanking is easy. The only difference is that people expect you to know what you're doing, but that shouldn't be specific to tanks, to be frank.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Woo, no more Ritual of Doom. Got the Blood one on DK from the withered chest a few days ago too. Now someone just needs to figure out where the UH hidden comes from.

grats/i hate you and am a jellybean.

And yeah, for fucks sake where is this UH appearance.

Arcayne

Tanking is easy. The only difference is that people expect you to know what you're doing, but that shouldn't be specific to tanks, to be frank.

Ha, that's where the anxiety starts and ends for me. I generally pick up strats quickly, but would hate to be the guy that wiped the team/raid due to initial inexperience with a boss fight.

Xeteh

Ha, that's where the anxiety starts and ends for me. I generally pick up strats quickly, but would hate to be the guy that wiped the team/raid due to initial inexperience with a boss fight.

Go through dungeons you're not familiar with as DPS and get a handle on the mechanics of the fights if you haven't already. Most fights are:

Tank boss
Face boss away from group
Move boss out of the crap it leaves on the ground

There are some that require you to pick up adds or move the boss around, (first time I tanked Hyrja in Halls of Valor my friend whispered me with "do you not know this fight or are you saying 'fuck mechanics' because its only heroic?" Every time I had done the fight the tank just tanked her in the middle of the room, I had no idea she should be moved from side to side.) There's very little to fuck up while tanking aside from pulling too much or doing a shit job of picking up adds.

scy

Career tank at this point, still nervous with pugs and the whole "pug strat" expectations when it comes to routing / pacing.

There are some that require you to pick up adds or move the boss around (first time I tanked Hyrja in Halls of Valor my friend whispered me with "do you not know this fight or are you saying 'fuck mechanics' because its only heroic?" Every time I had done the fight the tank just tanked her in the middle of the room, I had no idea she should be moved from side to side.

lol. Did that Day 1 (2?) on Heroic and she was tanked left side and burned down after 1 phase. Figured "oh, guess the beams only matter on Mythic. That's dumb."

Every random group since I end up doing 3-4 iterations back and forth. :(

Westlo

Keep seeing people say World Quests are nerfed now for gear.... gone from 810 to 831 just doing roughly 5-6 days of world quests alone.... (my latency on holiday is shithouse) got 865 cloak and 860 ring from bonus rolls...now if that's nerfed... damn I missed out....

55 demonsteel bars and 80 stormscale for ONE demonsteel wristguards? Jesus fuck!

Oh please it's only that for the very first one you craft.

It's 35 Bars and 40 Stormscale for the 2nd rank which you get immediately after making your first bracer.

And it's 815.
With random secondaries.

I can't walk around the block in Legion without tripping over 4 world quests that reward better gear than crafting.

Yep Demonsteel Wristguards are awful.

Awfully good at making gold the first few weeks of this expansion.

Yeah it's a shit 815 item, kinda beside the point, it's not like you don't get a piss easy 830 (or upgraded too) bracer from your class hall or nothing...

The mat cost is irrelevant considering they were nothing compared to the amount you could sell them on the AH for. I left for holiday with 6 bracers still in my bags, now on my final week decided to log on and sell them for half the price they were going before my holiday, still made a profit on them.

Rhaknar

oh is that how you get the destro skin? good to know

Robin64

They surely do. It was talked about a lot during interview and Q&As and the like, as a way to keep them relevent.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/20252892/legion-world-quests-and-you
Some rewards scale with your current item level.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/legion/world-quests#scaling-item-rewards
Scaling Item Rewards
To keep World Quests interesting, the ilvl of item rewards will increase based on your current ilvl.

By default, World Quest rewards are 805 (810 if from an elite quest or PvP)
As your item level increases, you will find gear with higher ilvl rewards, up to ilvl 835 (840+ for dungeon quests). You can have multiple World Quests up with different ilvl rewards at the same time. The average ilvl of the rewards will increase based on the ilvl of your gear in your inventory.

Fjordson

I have a new annoying player archetype. Not a big deal, it's more funny really.

It's the "let's skip every trash mob" tank. It's not a bad idea in theory, but the tank always knows these specific little routes to skip 95% of the instance that the other people in the group may not. So when someone is inevitably just a few inches off and accidentally pulls a group the tank starts complaining. "We didn't need to pull that *sigh*" "fail".

Going through a dungeon by constantly trying to tiptoe past mob groups actually feels more stressful than just clearing it the normal way :lol and what's funny is I've ran into this twice in the last 3 days.

Chris R

There is almost too much stuff to do at level 110.

I guess the first and most important thing is to get the factions to honored or whatever to unlock more world quests?

Should have jumped from zone to zone as soon as I hit honored instead of finishing them all 100% :(

Arcayne

Go through dungeons you're not familiar with as DPS and get a handle on the mechanics of the fights if you haven't already. Most fights are:

Tank boss
Face boss away from group
Move boss out of the crap it leaves on the ground

There are some that require you to pick up adds or move the boss around, (first time I tanked Hyrja in Halls of Valor my friend whispered me with "do you not know this fight or are you saying 'fuck mechanics' because its only heroic?" Every time I had done the fight the tank just tanked her in the middle of the room, I had no idea she should be moved from side to side.) There's very little to fuck up while tanking aside from pulling too much or doing a shit job of picking up adds.

Great advice! I feel you on the bosses with unique mechanics. First time tanking Cordana from VoTW with no knowledge of the light mechanic was embarrassingly nerve wrecking. Thankfully the group I was with was cool about it, lol.

Mupod

Career tank at this point, still nervous with pugs and the whole "pug strat" expectations.

yeah it never ends. Even though I may have cleared something a hundred times with friends or guildmates, I have no idea what kind of dumb ass strategies might be the accepted norm in matchmaking situations.

Example that comes to mind was FF14's crystal tower - it was a very easy entry level raid with the catch that you queued up as a raid party and would be matched with two other groups of randoms. There was a dragon boss that was designed to be tanked in the middle of the room, but there was an early strat/guide that had it so it was pulled to the very edge of the room. This made the fight harder for no reason, but as it wasn't hard to begin with many people cleared it with that strat. This proliferated because once people clear something with one strategy they tend to think that is the ONLY way to do it.

I was not aware of it as the groups I'd cleared it with were mostly GAF and we'd always easily killed it by tanking it in the middle. So when I did end up pugging it, people LOST THEIR FUCKING MINDS saying I was a complete retard and then wiped the group by trying to kite it all over the place when I didn't move it to whatever random ass spot they wanted it in.

I don't have any interest in tanking mythic+ with randoms because my group has 100% come up with its own strategies and we know how many mobs we need to pull. But I haven't watched videos or played with other people so I don't know what I'd be expected to do. I worry enough in regular dungeons that I'm pulling too much, although when I'm in as a DPS I don't actually care what the tank does. Except that one tank who pulled every single mob in Halls of Valor (including Fenryr's area). What the hell, dude.

Robin64

It's the "let's skip every trash mob" tank. It's not a bad idea in theory, but the tank always knows these specific little routes to skip 95% of the instance that the other people in the group may not. So when someone is inevitably just a few inches off and accidentally pulls a group the tank starts complaining. "We didn't need to pull that *sigh*" "fail".

Going through a dungeon by constantly trying to tiptoe past mob groups actually feels more stressful than just clearing it the normal way :lol and what's funny is I've ran into this twice in the last 3 days.

This is one of my biggest peeves in dungeons. You see people squeezing and struggling along a tiny path just to avoid two or three mobs and it's like, fuck sake, just kill them.

Mupod

This is one of my biggest peeves in dungeons. You see people squeezing and struggling along a tiny path just to avoid two or three mobs and it's like, fuck sake, just kill them.

TERA was hilarious for this. People would take huge detours and waste tons of time just to avoid having to fight a few packs. There was a lot of abuse of mob pathing, for example in one dungeon you could train everything behind you and hide under a set of stairs to make them all evade bug and return to their original positions. But half the time this took so long to set up, why even bother? Was also risky and could cause tank deaths if something snuck behind your shield.

Artanisix

I wish artifact knowledge ramped up faster for new characters. It feels wildly punishing to me to play an alt, and it's only 5 weeks after the xpac hit.

Arcayne

This too gives me the tanking anxiety that I have. I barely run dungeons, so I never know if there are "known" or new shortcuts to take.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Yeah I've noticed this lately as well. Eye of Azshara seems to be the one where tanks either go in the middle which has some tip-toeing to do, or they go left where you don't have to do as much tip-toeing but at first blush you'd think you'd think you're skipping stuff.

Rizzi

Yeah I've noticed this lately as well. Eye of Azshara seems to be the one where tanks either go in the middle which has some tip-toeing to do, or they go left where you don't have to do as much tip-toeing but at first blush you'd think you'd think you're skipping stuff.

Unless it's mythic+ please just kill the enemies.. It's their whole purpose.

Mupod

I'm still working out the kinks in Eye of Azshara mythic+. If you skip those opening packs you will not have enough kill% at the end. But the ranged mobs are actually pretty dangerous and close together so I'd rather skip them in favor of something else. I should watch a video maybe.

Maledict

I'm still working out the kinks in Eye of Azshara mythic+. If you skip those opening packs you will not have enough kill% at the end. But the ranged mobs are actually pretty dangerous and close together so I'd rather skip them in favor of something else. I should watch a video maybe.

We found that going down the left side as per usual, and then clearing the normal trash, left you one pack short. So after killing the final boss, we just picked up an extra crab pack and murdered that. Far easier to kill that trash than the starting trash.

Artanisix

Pulling the first sets of naga before the first boss is much faster than grabbing random mobs around serpentrix and giants. They give a significant amount of %

scy

Generally speaking, I'll just run ahead and do whatever skip I think people expect. Nothing that involves crazy gymnastics, just the stuff that you can either walk by or obviously walk around. A few exceptions but usually nothing too major. But I also just stop and watch people as they follow. If they make it, cool. If they don't, I just tag the pull and drag it to the next pack usually. Doesn't make a difference to me, just walking by because it's habit at this point.

Really only bugs me if everyone walks by and the last person just barrels into the mobs without paying any attention to what the rest of the group did. Then that's a little awkward but more in the "please don't AFK run through everything" sort of way.

Example that comes to mind was FF14's crystal tower - it was a very easy entry level raid with the catch that you queued up as a raid party and would be matched with two other groups of randoms.

the infamous tank Bone Dragon in the North, Ultros lives on forever. Cerberus in World of Darkness later was another varying strategy thing based on the people you got too, though never as wildly contested as Bone Dragon tank spots. Some different A/B/C group allocation of responsibilities (that everyone ignored anyway).

...seriously though, why the fuck on any platform edge.

I don't have any interest in tanking mythic+ with randoms because my group has 100% come up with its own strategies and we know how many mobs we need to pull. But I haven't watched videos or played with other people so I don't know what I'd be expected to do. I worry enough in regular dungeons that I'm pulling too much, although when I'm in as a DPS I don't actually care what the tank does. Except that one tank who pulled every single mob in Halls of Valor (including Fenryr's area). What the hell, dude.

Basically my train of thought as well. I'm pretty comfortable DPSing whatever gets thrown at me but I have no idea what people expect with pulls whenever I tank for randoms, especially with obvious-but-not skips in certain areas (Eye's first room left-hand side, DHT's wall after first bear, Halls mess hall is still a nightmare with random beer related strats why are people beering stuff mid pull). So I usually just end up DPS whenever I pug instead of worrying about it too much.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Unless it's mythic+ please just kill the enemies.. It's their whole purpose.

We found that oing down the left side a s per usual, and then clearing the normal trash, left you one pack short. So after killing the final boss, we just picked up an extra crab pack and murdered that. Far easier to kill that trash than the starting trash.

Pulling the first sets of naga before the first boss is much faster than grabbing random mobs around serpentrix and giants. They give a significant amount of %

Yeah we had the issue of missing mobs in M+ when we did it last weekend. :( We had to go back and kill a bunch of mobs that we should've had otherwise, and wasted a bit of time killing the crabs which gave like 0.5% per.

Pickman

On Heroics and shit, and even Mythics, I can agree with you wholeheartedly, that's annoying.

In Mythic+ though, that's the difference between 3 chests and 2.

Xeteh

When I tank I'm too lazy to do that for the most part so I just pull the group and if anyone bitches I just tell them I needed the rep.

Top Bottom