• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT8| CITIZENS OF DALARAN

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Have they said anything about another balance update? Tons of specs are still in a pretty bad place.

Rizzi

Every +2 group I've seen seems to ask for me to have a keystone too, but my keystone is Black Rook Hold. Nobody wants to run that one. :(

Tarazet

Pretty sure this expansion is going to be remembered as "that one where Blizzard forgot what happens to subscriber numbers when they cater to people without jobs".

I took a week off for Legion launch, but since then I've had a pretty hefty work schedule, and I appreciate what I'm able to accomplish with just an hour or so a day - given that I've already done a lot of grinding to get to the point where I'm at, but that's understandable for a new expansion. You can get silly power gains by abusing Mythic+ keystones, and within a relatively short amount of time if that's what you really care about. I'm talking short compared to weeks of Heroic/Mythic progression an inch at a time like used to be the norm.

I would not be able to play any kind of an alt, but that is again par for the course. I've never been able to alt seriously in the first patch, not really until closer to the end of the xpac.

Lanrutcon

Every +2 group I've seen seems to ask for me to have a keystone too, but my keystone is Black Rook Hold. Nobody wants to run that one. :(

Ran my Rook stone on Thursday. People are scared of the boulders, but I found one. As a Warlock. A Warlock.

You can do it, mister.

I took a week off for Legion launch, but since then I've had a pretty hefty work schedule, and I appreciate what I'm able to accomplish with just an hour or so a day - given that I've already done a lot of grinding to get to the point where I'm at, but that's understandable for a new expansion. You can get silly power gains by abusing Mythic+ keystones, and within a relatively short amount of time if that's what you really care about. I'm talking short compared to weeks of Heroic/Mythic progression an inch at a time like used to be the norm.

I would not be able to play any kind of an alt, but that is again par for the course. I've never been able to alt seriously in the first patch, not really until closer to the end of the xpac.

I get what your saying, but I feel like the way they're treating alts atm (despite assuring as this would be an alt friendly expansion) is a bit rough. I've 10 characters, and while I don't expect to by able to keep them all up to date, I'm barely keeping 2 specs alive at this point. Leveling another makes me tired just thinking about it.

Nere

Even though I really like the expansion I have to say for an expansion called the Legion it has really few things to do with the burning legion. In the burning crusade the Legion had a way better presence and felt more threatening.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Even though I really like the expansion I have to say for an expansion called the Legion it has really few things to do with the burning legion. In the burning crusade the Legion had a way better presence and felt more threatening.

Boy, I utterly disagree with that. I remember fighting spore people and ogres and forgetting that the Legion was even a thing until Hyjal released.

Nere

Boy, I utterly disagree with that. I remember fighting spore people and ogres and forgetting that the Legion was even a thing until Hyjal released.

Okey you picked like the only zone it had no presence in but what about shadowmoon valley and hellfire peninsula? There is not a single zone in Legion that I can say yeah I can feel the burning legion's presence here and the destruction it brings. They have 2 camps in 5 zones 1 in Azsuna and 1 in Suramar and that is it. Also Illidan is in the cover and he is nowhere to be seen, just mentioned from other characters, another flaw.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Okey you picked like the only zone it had no presence in but what about shadowmoon valley and hellfire peninsula? There is not a single zone in Legion that I can say yeah I can feel the burning legion's presence here and the destruction it brings. They have 2 camps in 5 zones 1 in Azsuna and 1 in Suramar and that is it. Also Illidan is in the cover and he is nowhere to be seen, just mentioned from other characters, another flaw.

But those are 2 different zones. And Nagrand had little demon presence as well. The two you picked are the only two with major demonic presence. Grom was only shown in the cutscene for the opening to Warlords. Where as Illidan is a heavy lore cornerpiece of Legion's main story and is seen in the cutscenes as well as the DH leveling quest line.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
they should have added legion incursions to the rest of azeroth a la the invasions on a smaller scale i think??

Nere

But those are 2 different zones. And Nagrand had little demon presence as well. The two you picked are the only two with major demonic presence. Grom was only shown in the cutscene for the opening to Warlords. Where as Illidan is a heavy lore cornerpiece of Legion's main story and is seen in the cutscenes as well as the DH leveling quest line.

Those 2 zones didn't just had legion presence, the land was red or black and scorched, lighting and meteors were falling from the sky, demonic armies marching everywhere, the sky was in flames. The moment you entered those 2 zones you instantly realized what was going wrong. I am sorry but for the biggest Legion invasion ever (they said it is bigger than the War of the Ancients and the Warcraft 3 invasion) there aren't a lot of demons. You just see them at the start in the broken shore scenario and then you proceed to kill deers in happy mountain. I love the expansion but they didn't put enough legion in the Legion expansion there is no denying for that.

carlsojo

Those 2 zones didn't just had legion presence, the land was red or black and scorched, lighting and meteors were falling from the sky, demonic armies marching everywhere, the sky was in flames. The moment you entered those 2 zones you instantly realized what was going wrong. I am sorry but for the biggest Legion invasion ever (they said it is bigger than the War of the Ancients and the Warcraft 3 invasion) there aren't a lot of demons. You just see them at the start in the broken shore scenario and then you proceed to kill deers in happy mountain. I love the expansion but they didn't put enough legion in the Legion expansion there is no denying for that.

One reason Legion is great because there's a huge variety in who you're facing from zone to zone. Fighting only the Legion the whole expansion would get old quickly.

Rizzi

Woo, roped my guild in to running mythic + Black Rook Hold and got a new robe and gloves.
More mastery for my arcane mage.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The Burning Legion still has a huge influence over every new zone. They control Suramar and vast amounts of Azsuna. They are the corrupting force behind the main antagonist in Stormheim (Skovold), and are the dividing force in Highmountain. In classic Blizzard fashion the lore of Val'sharah makes absolutely no sense so the Legion can be there too, allied with a servant of the Old Gods.

Renekton

My first ever Mythic+ I got a +4 after running a +2, didn't expect for it to jump a level.

No way I can do +4 in my current gear/skill D:

Lanrutcon

My first ever Mythic+ I got a +4 after running a +2, didn't expect for it to jump a level.

No way I can do +4 in my current gear/skill D:

Your key jumps by the amount of chests you got, if you beat the timer.

So going +2 to +5 is pretty common. You'd really have to screw the pooch to go +2 to +3.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Question, why in TBC did we invade Outland again? What was our beef with Illidank?

The Alliance and Horde didnt really invade. They pushed back an incursion after Kazzak opened the portal and started leading the Burning Legion into Azeroth. After that though there were several reason for going beyong the Dark Portal on both sides. Once there both factions got swept in the conflict that was taking place in Outland and that pitted them against Illidan.

Teletraan1

Banned
Just got into the expansion the other day. Slowly leveling. Shocked by all the major characters they are just killing off but I expected it since leveling in WoD with your crew of invincible heroes seemed like there was no danger in anything. Now every major lore character I meet along the way I expect to die.
I have been following this thread and the negativity has definitely set in for quite a few of you. Some of these complaints are the same complaints heard every expansion. Class balance, grinding, alt viability. Never, not once has blizzard balanced the classes properly, and especially never at the beginning of an expansion. The problem is that there are a lot more idiots who want to just avoid bringing a class that does 5% less theoretical damage. Those idiots always existed, there are just more of these fake elite assholes now. It is possible to find a guild that isn't full of these people but it is difficult. Playerbase is pretty toxic.
Complaining about an end game grind in this game seems like farting in a hurricane. Go play something else, end game "grinds" of some sort are what this game is, was and always will be. If they don't make it a "grind" and you finish everything right away, get a satchel of legendaries @110 and have nothing to do, that has to be the worst business model for a subscription game ever. Complaining that you haven't gotten a useful legendary reminds me of how people complained that not everyone could be a Jedi in SW Galaxies, then they changed it and it was meaningless. Not everyone is going to have the same gear in an MMO, some will have better some will have worse. RNG just randomizes it so it the loot distribution doesn't just favor the no lifes.
I remember when Pandaria was going to be the worst expansion for alts EVER because of all the dailies, rep grinding and farmville shit that nobody would want to do on alts yet they did them all on alts just fine because of changes that appear after the first big patch or so. Same thing will happen here but as always the sky is falling the sky is falling.

I used to be the definition of chicken little with this game, everything bothered me, I was burnt out after playing for close to a decade. I took some time off (all of WoD) and nothing bothers me now and when it starts to I will quit again.

If they don't make it a "grind" and you finish everything right away, get a satchel of legendaries @110 and have nothing to do, that has to be the worst business model for a subscription game ever. Complaining that you haven't gotten a useful legendary reminds me of how people complained that not everyone could be a Jedi in SW Galaxies, then they changed it and it was meaningless. Not everyone is going to have the same gear in an MMO, some will have better some will have worse. RNG just randomizes it so it the loot distribution doesn't just favor the no lifes.

Regarding the new legendary item drop mechanic - me and the missus are the definition of "casual". We have 2 Autistic kids and share a PC so our playtime is sporadic and are unable to commit to many (if any) organised things like Guild raid runs and the like. But we loved the old idea of a long questline to get a legendary item. Granted, we didn't play much but we knew that we could chip away at the Apexis crystals/Rune's/Tome's in LFR and we were guaranteed a reward at the end of it. It was something to build towards and look forward to getting. My partner was so chuffed when she got her first legendary ring that she took a screenshot.

Now? We just do "regular" end-game stuff and hope RNGesus blesses us with a drop. Could take 5 days, could take 5 weeks, we don't know. It's just not fun or interesting. Just dull.

Renekton

The Alliance and Horde didnt really invade. They pushed back an incursion after Kazzak opened the portal and started leading the Burning Legion into Azeroth. After that though there were several reason for going beyong the Dark Portal on both sides. Once there both factions got swept in the conflict that was taking place in Outland and that pitted them against Illidan.
Yeah I am trying to remember Azerothians' motivation for stopping Illidan in Outland, since he was trying to fight the legion as well (in a save-own-skin sorta way).

Magnus

I'm more compelled than ever to play my alts in Legion, even if it's the least friendly expansion for alts 'on paper'.

What makes it super interesting for me this time around is:

- Vastly different experience from 100-110 for each class via: artifacts, class order hall, diff. profs, etc.
- Scaling, allowing me to play whichever zone I want for each alt
- A return to de-homogenization - classes feel different again in combat, IMO; strengths/weaknesses and all
- Using the app to keep pushing my army of alts forward is still interesting and engaging to me; I like that I get to make a team stronger while I'm on the bus or whatever, even if it is a fairly straightforward resource management carrot-on-a-stick

I'm sure I'll hate hitting the wall at the end with Suramar/WQs, but I'm not really trying to make these alts anywhere near as end-game as my main. Nobody's got time for that.

I'm really digging playing each of them slowly, comfortably, and with a very different play experience than my main's journey to 110.

Tacitus_

Yeah I am trying to remember Azerothians' motivation for stopping Illidan in Outland, since he was trying to fight the legion as well (in a save-own-skin sorta way).

Vashj and Kael'Thas were up to no good under his command. He either approved of it or is the shittiest commander ever.

And Horde had a really personal reason, Illidans forces were kidnapping the brown orcs to make more red orcs.
Also Illidan would've wiped out Shattrath had the elves not defected, so the Alliance was probably lobbied pretty hard by the Draenei to go after him as well.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Taking an alt to 110 is a pretty trivial process, and it does feel like there is incentive to push up alts with the unique class content. The primary culprit for extended play is how Artifact Knowledge is handled. It's a tedious time gate to overall character power that undercuts the efforts of a player on a fundamental level. When you see low artifact power rewards for the same content on an alt it feels like the game is telling you to not play that character. I think it's a complete disaster that could have been easily solved by an account's highest AK applying to all characters at 110.

Azzurri

You know what is really boring to watch? Arena's, lol.

Stuff like Hearthstone and other MOBAs are pretty fun to watch, but WoW Arena's just are so MEH to me, don't know why.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Taking an alt to 110 is a pretty trivial process, and it does feel like there is incentive to push up alts with the unique class content. The primary culprit for extended play is how Artifact Knowledge is handled. It's a tedious time gate to overall character power that undercuts the efforts of a player on a fundamental level. When you see low artifact power rewards for the same content on an alt it feels like the game is telling you to not play that character. I think it's a complete disaster that could have been easily solved by an account's highest AK applying to all characters at 110.

yep artifact knowledge account wide would have made alts bearable

you still have to actually grind the ap, grind rep, grind dungeons/raids, grind honor levels, etc... AK should have been the one "catch-up" mechanism to an otherwise tedious process. But it's basically there to tell you hey, this alt is unplayable for 1-2 months, come back later!

and that's too bad because every expac blizzard tends to make it overly tedious to play alts, but what they don't realize is if someone gets bored of their main or the game, an alt is usually a good recourse. the alternative recourse is just cancelling -- so I don't know why they continue to make it overly burdensome to play alts to a decent degree

StMeph

and that's too bad because every expac blizzard tends to make it overly tedious to play alts, but what they don't realize is if someone gets bored of their main or the game, an alt is usually a good recourse. the alternative recourse is just cancelling -- so I don't know why they continue to make it overly burdensome to play alts to a decent degree

They're probably additionally cautious about alts after the disastrous impact on the economy it had with regard to Garrisons in WoD.

Azzurri

AK isn't a bad catch up, but it's the rep grind that kills any want to play alts, who the hell wants to go through Suramar again? One time is bad enough, more than 1 is literally death, LOL.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
It's a tedious time gate to overall character power that undercuts the efforts of a player on a fundamental level. When you see low artifact power rewards for the same content on an alt it feels like the game is telling you to not play that character. I think it's a complete disaster that could have been easily solved by an account's highest AK applying to all characters at 110.

Yeeep.

This makes absolutely no sense, and is basically saying, hey, log on every 3 (or maybe shorter timer) days, maybe do the WQ backlog, and log back off.

Not saying it should necessarily be 'easier' to level the artifact weapon on alts, but it'd be a much better 'actual' catch-up mechanism than what they currently have in terms of making you grind everything out all over again.

I'm honestly hoping a change comes in 7.2, but at this point, I'm not holding my breath.

AK isn't a bad catch up, but it's the rep grind that kills any want to play alts, who the hell wants to go through Suramar again? One time is bad enough, more than 1 is literally death, LOL.

Eh, it's not great, but if you're literally just getting to friendly, takes same (or even slightly less) time than any other zone. The main issue is your relative low power once the mobs scale to 110, and you don't have good gear yet.

They're probably additionally cautious about alts after the disastrous impact on the economy it had with regard to Garrisons in WoD.

The funny thing is, about half the order hall missions I see now are for 600-800 gold.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is there a good place for elvUI templates? trying to sort this out is doing my head in

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

It's a terrible catch up, you log into your alt at 110 and see 50-150 artifact power, 2 weeks later, 250-300, 1 month later, 400-500. Maybe in 1.5-2 months you'll get somewhere comparable to your main but it is absolutely disheartening when logging into an alt. Actually, it's not even a catch up. Someone on MMO-C put it best, AK is the complete reverse of a catch-up system -- AK is an anti-catch up mechanism. It's meant to slow you down, gate your progress, and fuck you for a month or two.

I still have to grind out dungeons, raids, rep, honor levels, everything; the least blizz can do is give me decent AK gains in a reasonable amount of time. Hard locked time gates are the worst, especially when they are 1-2 month gates.

Whereas in past expacs you'd just hit max level, put a ton of time and effort into an alt and eventually catch up to your main gear wise and just hop into the pve/pvp content you want. Now, you have artifact power and artifacts gating you further -- and the worst part is it's a time locked gate out of your control. Because of AK, legion is by far the worst expac for alts; and if Blizzard thinks otherwise (as they clearly do with that tweet awhile back), they are completely delusional.

I despise how squishy my warrior is in pvp. Yeah, I know, we deal a ton of damage.

Feels like I drop faster than ever, though.

Yeah, warrior has never really been a solo PVP class, but it's even more poignant this xpac because of pruning. Healer or bust in pvp.

biaxident

Like other's its just depressing logging into my alt and seeing WQ's give like 200 AP compared to main who's min AP quest is 650 at knowledge 6. I play shadow priest who only performs well with surrender to madness. Problem is surrender can't be used in pvp, and isn't used in questing/5 man content. Have 2 different stat priorities to follow since 90% of the time i'm not specc'd surrender. My guild is so super casual that we downed 1 boss on normal last week and didnt have attendance last night to go, so I've used surrender only 1 time this expac lol. I can't even rely on them getting a boss to 50% with people alive to even use it in a raid right now. Shadow doesn't seem great for mythic + either. Naturally I would just play an alt which i'm fine with, but my DK is only research level 3 with level 13 weapons.

To top it off I dropped 782 tailoring for level 1 herbalism, since herbalism is clearly the best profession right now. I love how all the beta videos raved about crafting lol.

I really love legion and am full blown addicted, but please blizz just make AK account wide. I don't mind classes having specific niche's and roles like shadow, but we just can't play anything else with how we're locked into a main spec. Shadow is super fun to play though, still love it without surrender, just doesn't have the damage to back it up without surrendering.

Narag

I kinda wish the AP items were accountbound and I could have the option to bump up my current weapon or bring an alt up to speed fairly quickly due to the first's progress.

If there was a noticeable increase in the speed of artifact knowledge, I dont think itd be as big an issue it is. That and levelling alternate specs is kinda a pain..they really shouldve made artifact knowledge an account wide thing. But honestly I dont mind it.

Top Bottom