• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

So, how worth it would it be to boost a level 40 Warlock to 100? I'd be wanting to play Demonology. I just don't know if I can put up with leveling again, especially once it starts to slow down.

It doesn't take that much time to level up to 60, which would give you level 700 in your two main professions and first aid when you boost. WoD has great profession catch-up mechanics but you could bypass having to do any garrison junk by simply grinding it out from 40-60 before boosting. Just skip through the PVE zones to ones that provide relevant experience while you dungeon queue.

Also I would strongly recommend you take a good long look at Destruction or Affliction, Legion Demonology is a hot mess to put it kindly and they basically won't be trying to fix it until the next expansion. They basically carved out the best bits of Demonology and gave it to Shadow Priests and Demon Hunters, what's left isn't exactly cohesive, intuitive or fun. It's not a pet class, like it was sort of sold as being, you just have shitty anthropomorphized DoTs and a maintenance buff you have to keep spamming along with other DoTs you have to keep track of across multiple targets. The spec takes more effort than it's worth.

Lain

havent played in months, not sure when I stopped, it feels like years ago. I know that Hela mini-raid had come out, it was shortly after that.

So, with that said, worth subbing again for a month or something just to do the class quest and shit, is it all solo friendly? The posse I was semi-raiding with all quit back then (thats why I slowly stopped aswell) but kinda been feeling the bug again lately, especially when im bored at work.

I assume the class mounts will carry over to the future and I would like to have that Druid form. Also the werewolf form, is that obtainable solo?

edit: I know that "is it worth" questions are always subjective and hard to awnser, I myself am not a fan :/

If you want to get the class mount and druid form out of the way for the future, yeah it is worth it to sub for a month or so. Both are solo jobs, though the druid form is a challenge. The chain of quests to unlock the class mount quest is a lot of mindless stuff so it's quite easy to do, just a little time consuming and soul sucking.

In the time you didn't play Nighthold raid and a dungeon were added, with the Tomb raid getting close to opening and the new patch to drop next week.

Tarazet

It doesn't take that much time to level up to 60, which would give you level 700 in your two main professions and first aid when you boost. WoD has great profession catch-up mechanics but you could bypass having to do any garrison junk by simply grinding it out from 40-60 before boosting. Just skip through the PVE zones to ones that provide relevant experience while you dungeon queue.

Also I would strongly recommend you take a good long look at Destruction or Affliction, Legion Demonology is a hot mess to put it kindly and they basically won't be trying to fix it until the next expansion. They basically carved out the best bits of Demonology and gave it to Shadow Priests and Demon Hunters, what's left isn't exactly cohesive, intuitive or fun. It's not a pet class, like it was sort of sold as being, you just have shitty anthropomorphized DoTs and a maintenance buff you have to keep spamming along with other DoTs you have to keep track of across multiple targets. The spec takes more effort than it's worth.

Demo is a strong spec, but it's got some serious problems. Target-swapping and world questing is a giant pain in the ass with all the wind-up time, and if you want to take Grimoire of Supremacy you have to suffer doing literally half the damage as you do with the other talents. I'd be fine with the single-target tunnel raid spec being a thing if there was just a little bit of quality of life improvement for questing even through suboptimal talents.

Apparently only 3 guilds in the world have killed Mythic Gul'dan without a Mage.

Might make our attempts a little more interesting unless we decide to bring the freshly recruited one in (who's here for Tomb mostly I think).

Losing our only other one last week to a new job sucksssssss.

Cirion

Banned
I guess I should finally enter this thread. I'm playing since Vanilla EU-Release, and while my account was not always active, I played every expansion extensively, though the last time I did organized raiding was back in WotlK. Just activated my account again after a hiatus of several months.

Always played a Paladin since Vanilla, and boy did this class change since Patch 1.2. Anyone still remember Seal of Fury? Righteous Defense? Divine Intervention? Blessing of Light, the old Blessing of Sanctuary, the old epic mount quest, the quests to get Redemption (met lvl 60 paladins who didn't do the quest and couldn't resurrect) the old Blessing of Kings which was completely insane with +10% on all attributes and was hidden as ultimate in the Retribution tree (Funnily, Maximilian of Northshire buffs you with the old version of BoK in the new questline in Highmountain). I can't remember how often that added, removed and reworked Sacred Shield. The old auras are now long gone, as are all seals. Excorcism and Holy Wrath are gone, as is Hammer of Wrath. Sense Undead, anyone? Man, the old Seal of Command was so frustrating, and it was the only way to do any kind of significant damage pre-TBC.

My second most-played class was Mage, and it didn't nearly change as much. Though, I tried to play Fire in Legion and I absolutely HATED it. Why is there even a mana bar anymore? You have unlimited resources, you shoot more instant pyros and other instant crap than regular fireballs. It honestly feels like a gimmicky, flashy Third-Person-Shooter or something and is extremely boring to me.

In general I'm very critical of many things Blizzard did to the game over the years. This thread seems like most people are fine with the status quo, but I literally can't bring myself over to level even one new character from the ground up, the leveling is atrocious in every way. In the same time, I had a blast playing on several private Vanilla servers leveling several different classes.With all the tediousness and missing QoL-improvements, the vanilla questing feels vastly more rewarding and immersive than the linear, empty, non-challenging Leveling of today, which is also full of cutscenes, dumb pop culture shit like in Westfall, Redridge, Burning Steppes, Uldum et, and lots of gimmick quests. Every zone is almost completely self-contained and feels like a level in an underwhelming Single-Player RPG instead of an massive, open world. Was it annoying to travel around the world with boats and gryphons back in Vanilla for hours? Yes, sometimes, but it made the world feel real and massive and connected. I could go on about many other things like the vanished Server community, linear tube dungeons, vanishing of CC and threat as relevant PvE-mechanics, too much focus on collection fluff etc.

Legion was a step in the right direction, with the artifact, class campaign and profession quests making use of the whole, vast world that mostly lay barren otherwise. Still don't understand why they don't implement world quests and legion invasions in other zones instead of the extremely cramped and honestly stale Broken Isles zones, which also lorewise would make much more sense.

Nokterian

Finally some luck for me.

This legendary came from war supplies cache on broken shore.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=137023/promise-of-elune-the-moon-goddess

And did Return to Karazhan doing just in time Nightbane and got the mount! :D

Pretty awesome Smoldering Ember Wyrm.

wowscrnshot_061117_17x8u67.jpg

Stealth edit :

And i got my hidden artifact appearance for balance!

Today was a good day.

peter0611

Just got the Havoc bracers. Time to try and knock out the Mage Tower challenge before they get nerfed in 7.2.5.

How's it going? I've been taking nothing but Ls for the last hour. I'm a combat rogue with NH heroic gear and the legendary shoulders and ring. Unfortunately still can't even get that fat turd Agatha below 60% before dying. I've tried at least 50 times so far.

But I think the issue is my dps and thus rotation. I've been using old Weak Auras so maybe I need to update them. My average Dps has only been 600k+.

cdyhybrid

How's it going? I've been taking nothing but Ls for the last hour. I'm a combat rogue with NH heroic gear and the legendary shoulders and ring. Unfortunately still can't even get that fat turd Agatha below 60% before dying. I've tried at least 50 times so far.

But I think the issue is my dps and thus rotation. I've been using old Weak Auras so maybe I need to update them. My average Dps has only been 600k+.
I only gave it a few tries before getting distracted by other stuff, but I take a LOT of damage in P1. Don't have Prydaz or the Blur chest.

I only gave it a few tries before getting distracted by other stuff, but I take a LOT of damage in P1. Don't have Prydaz or the Blur chest.

Prydaz would help more than Achor, though I did use Achor I believe, though I wouldn't say it was make or break. Just need to be strategic about using eyebeam/demonic as a heal.

cdyhybrid

Prydaz would help more than Achor, though I did use Achor I believe, though I wouldn't say it was make or break. Just need to be strategic about using eyebeam/demonic as a heal.

Yeah I'm going to give it a serious try tonight since there's only ~8 hours left on the Tower and the bracers are getting nerfed Tuesday. Not super worried about it though, even if I don't get it before the bracers nerf I'll have ToS gear to make up the difference.

Yeah I'm going to give it a serious try tonight since there's only ~8 hours left on the Tower and the bracers are getting nerfed Tuesday. Not super worried about it though, even if I don't get it before the bracers nerf I'll have ToS gear to make up the difference.

Bracers were my last legendary. It's definitely possible without them, though probably slightly easier in the last phase with them since the other legendaries aren't that useful for the encounter.

cdyhybrid

Just got to Phase 2. Only problem was I had the wrong item and couldn't switch talents between phases so I just died -.-

Edit: So everything I read tells me to go straight DPS in P2, but I do that and I just get melee'd down because I have no self-healing. How do people do P2? I'm not taking a single tick of the puddles in P2, I just get auto-attacked to death unless I have Meta up.

Edit2: If Blizzard could NOT put me in combat when a mob drops into the other side of town that would be great.

I hate that Mythics = fast

It should be Mythics = harder

I want every pull to be difficult and calculated. I want roots, saps, sheep, and every other form of CC to be required. I want people to have to assist the tank and have to watch their aggro because the mobs are actually dangerous one on one. I want to have to wait on that pathing mob because if he joins in, people are going to die. I want a poorly placed or timed AE to wipe the group. I want mob placement to be essential to success.

I do not like the AE sprint fest that mythics have become. Nothing else matters. Its so goddamn lame. Rush rush rush

Tarazet

I want every pull to be difficult and calculated. I want roots, saps, sheep, and every other form of CC to be required. I want people to have to assist the tank and have to watch their aggro because the mobs are actually dangerous one on one. I want to have to wait on that pathing mob because if he joins in, people are going to die. I want a poorly placed or timed AE to wipe the group. I want mob placement to be essential to success.

I do not like the AE sprint fest that mythics have become. Nothing else matters. Its so goddamn lame. Rush rush rush

You would have enjoyed the Arcway run that I had yesterday.

Composition:

880 Prot Pal
904 Holy Pal
898 Demo Lock (me)
885 Frost Mage (significant other)
895 Shadow Priest

It was supposed to be a +2 Arcway with my key. Easy right?

The tank ninjas in a +5 key, then goes the wrong way and kills all the trash packs in the damn place.

Then the shadow priest logs.

We still finished it in time. I was banishing mobs, stunning with the Felguard, using Grimoire: Felhunter and racial Blood Elf silence.. it was an adventure.

Mitch

Banned

Back when Cata released, I remember a fair amount of people whining about the difficult of heroic dungeons. People complaining about needing to CC really irked me. Having a plan before pulling makes dungeons 100x better for me. Sprinting from mob to mob without much thought isn't very exciting.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I think there has to be a delicate balance to this.

Like Mitch said above, when Cata came out - people bitched about that sort of thing.

I would say the reason for that is because of the Dungeon Finder. You're no longer playing with people that you had any sort of prior communication with before going to the dungeon such as, "LF 1 Tank 1 Healer for [Dungeon]". You just get plopped into a dungeon with people and... that's it.

Since that's been the formula for the past 7'ish years, it'd be hard to change that mindset.

Challenge modes (and now Mythic Keystones) exacerbated the problem by making it all about speed.

ch0mp

I don't understand how requiring CC added anything to a dungeon. Sheep this trap that is trivial to execute and maintain. The timer is what makes keys difficult.

Pulling a challenging pack in a higher key or multiple packs at a time and knowing how to handle them, coordinate stuns, interrupts and cooldowns so you don't wipe is much more satisfying to me.

Mitch

Banned
CCing falls under coordinating stuns/silences in my book. It's all a part of being a team and utilizing your toolkit to take down packs.

carlsojo

Couple hours, world quests cycle significantly more often than daily. Also won't take you much actual playtime.

Yeah that one took me a day and a half just waiting for more quests to pop. The "do 3 Broken Shore missions" I could see taking a bit longer and it's what my monk is stuck on now.

Lain

Yeah that one took me a day and a half just waiting for more quests to pop. The "do 3 Broken Shore missions" I could see taking a bit longer and it's what my monk is stuck on now.

That was hotfixed to be only 1 mission, if I'm remembering correctly.

In general I'm very critical of many things Blizzard did to the game over the years. This thread seems like most people are fine with the status quo, but I literally can't bring myself over to level even one new character from the ground up, the leveling is atrocious in every way. In the same time, I had a blast playing on several private Vanilla servers leveling several different classes.With all the tediousness and missing QoL-improvements, the vanilla questing feels vastly more rewarding and immersive than the linear, empty, non-challenging Leveling of today, which is also full of cutscenes, dumb pop culture shit like in Westfall, Redridge, Burning Steppes, Uldum et, and lots of gimmick quests. Every zone is almost completely self-contained and feels like a level in an underwhelming Single-Player RPG instead of an massive, open world. Was it annoying to travel around the world with boats and gryphons back in Vanilla for hours? Yes, sometimes, but it made the world feel real and massive and connected. I could go on about many other things like the vanished Server community, linear tube dungeons, vanishing of CC and threat as relevant PvE-mechanics, too much focus on collection fluff etc.

You're speaking my language completely. I took a long break from the game, came back for Legion. It's fun, I mostly enjoy raiding, but, the rest of the game around it just has no soul compared to how it used to be.

Got a WoW Survey in my email. Nothing too special though, just general metrics mainly about what things players are interested in.

The one thing that stood out I guess was questions about micro-holidays and translation/VO. The translation/VO didn't apply really since I'm from the United States, but the micro-holiday questions were interesting.

Basically I said that I've heard of them, but I don't really participate because there's no rewards >.>

At the very least if they don't want to lock specific content behind micro-holidays, have a general micro-holiday currency that can be used for stuff, like the timewalking badges.

carlsojo

That was hotfixed to be only 1 mission, if I'm remembering correctly.

Oh yeah you're right my bad. Yeah you can knock out this stuff in a day easily. I also hit Revered before I even finished Breaching the Tomb so I imagine if someone's just coming back they could be flying pretty quickly.

To me, the funny thing when people talk about how time consuming vanilla WoW was is that it was by far the most casual and pick-up friendly MMO I had ever played at the time. I know this is different for everybody because of their different perspectives and experiences, but vanilla WoW was the casual game for a lot of people back then.

That's not a bad thing. It's why the game is popular. Blizzard has made their money taking genres and concepts and making them appealing to a wider audience, and WoW is their biggest succest story on that front. It just always gets a smile out of me remembering the conversations I had back then in other games about WoW.

TheYanger

To me, the funny thing when people talk about how time consuming vanilla WoW was is that it was by far the most casual and pick-up friendly MMO I had ever played at the time. I know this is different for everybody because of their different perspectives and experiences, but vanilla WoW was the casual game for a lot of people back then.

That's not a bad thing. It's why the game is popular. Blizzard has made their money taking genres and concepts and making them appealing to a wider audience, and WoW is their biggest suggest story on that front. It just always gets a smile out of me remembering the conversations I had back then in other games about WoW.

Yep. people still act like Vanilla wow had hard levelling or 'hard' dungeons, and I'm like...what. Wow only caught on because it was so fucking easy.

Tarazet

I took my Warlock to Suramar with AK40, going to have Concordance in my Demonology weapon in no time. It's weird that I've tried every other class and this is the one that spoke to me the most. It's not perfect, but it has some real perks and some of them are unique:

+ Optimal single-target raid build also works very well in dungeons
+ AoE stun
+ Single-target Felguard stun which you can use while casting
+ Automatic cleave with pet
+ Doom has a static tick rate regardless of when, how, or how many times you refresh it, i.e. no need to micromanage
+ Lack of unpredictable RNG makes it easy to plan ahead and focus your damage where it counts
+ Highest DPS pet also has a taunt and good survivability
+ Gets stronger when the content is harder, but is capable of farming easy shit too

There are some definite and major downsides though. It's absolutely playable, but it takes a lot of getting used to, mainly because it's unlike anything else in the game right now.

- High ramp time and dependent on cooldowns to do good damage
- Worst mobility of any class
- Slow, repetitive and a bit dull, your abilities have long cast times and you're casting Demonic Empowerment a lot
- Can be hard to keep track of pet timers

It works for my playstyle.. I enjoy it because it is a bit slow, procedural and thoughtful. At the same time it is so procedural, that it requires its long-ass ramp on every pull. So it can get tiring. It's strong, and I've seen how it can be strong in essentially any encounter (as long as it's hard enough), but I can see why a lot of people weren't happy with it.

Rambaldi

Yep. people still act like Vanilla wow had hard levelling or 'hard' dungeons, and I'm like...what. Wow only caught on because it was so fucking easy.

Exactly. And as someone who's been playing since Vanilla as well I appreciate the QOL changes so much. I really can't see how anyone could objectively look at Vanilla and say it's the better product. Different? Yeah. Better? I'm not convinced.

For me, it was great for its time but I'd never ever want to go back.

Westlo

That's not a bad thing. It's why the game is popular. Blizzard has made their money taking genres and concepts and making them appealing to a wider audience, and WoW is their biggest succest story on that front. It just always gets a smile out of me remembering the conversations I had back then in other games about WoW.

I look at the raid times groups post in trade these days and laugh a bit.... so casual compared to what I had to go through in Vanilla.... boy I would've liked to have only raided 2 nights for 3 hours at a time.... sounds like our off days in vanilla for old content lol ...(I know they're not top groups or even mid....)

And the PVP grind was soul crushing for anyone who even tried to do it 70% legit.... account swapping was a must because if you didn't do it you were behind the other people doing it... Arena system is TBC (which is all I did in TBC....) was such an improvement in regards to time spent....

Vanilla is still my fav time spent during this game in regards to raiding (never done it again outside of LFG and pickups) pvp (mage and warrior so good), server community (was fantastic, even trolling the realm forums was entertaining as...), rivalry between horde and alliance pvpers.... (till they started dodging because we were too geared, yet in TBC arena me and my guys did way better). and guild (have never been in a "proper" guild since my old vanilla one disbanded just before TBC) but would I want to repeat it?

Hell nah. Just thinking of leveling a warrior again (just kill mob, bandage/eat, move onto next mob repeat) or mindlessly AOEing packs as a mage (Tanaris Pirates, Marudon Orange slimes).... the raiding ramp up, the time investment for pvp gear that is outclassed by Naxx gear anyway....

Nah I'm good.

You could strip away all of the quality of life features that have been added to the game over the years but all of the legacy content zones would still be, by and large, simply empty. At the end of the day it isn't current content. With how the game is currently designed, as a theme park mmo with level gating, there's no reason to be in a zone like Un'Goro Crater, or to even play through all of those old Vanilla zones sequentially, other than to say you did it for a Loremaster run.

I agree the leveling experience is in dire need of being addressed, particularly in the 1-60 zones, but their solution is simply to add hero classes like DH's, bundle new xpacs with boosts so you can completely bypass legacy content and to provide established players with tools like heirlooms to help speed them through legacy to current content. There isn't much of a desire for curation on Blizzard's end. Adding Legions level scaling and the ability to choose what zone you want to play through to the game as a whole might change how populated legacy zones are a bit but by and large most players desire to be in current content.

The only place you're going to find populated legacy zones are private expansion/version specific servers and rp servers where rp players do rp things and occupy strange locations of the game world.

erawsd

I think Vanilla WoW was definitely more time consuming, I can't really think of many aspects of the game that required less "work" than it does today. I think what was more casual friendsly was just the attitudes and expectations of the playerbase.

Back then a lot of the casual players were mostly focused on leveling/exploring/having fun with friends and no one cared that they might never see AQ40, collect every mount design or profession recipe, or have multiple alts that are everybit as "caught up" as their main. I remember reading that most people never even hit the level cap back then.

I think Vanilla WoW was definitely more time consuming, I can't really think of many aspects of the game that required less "work" than it does today. I think what was more casual friendsly was just the attitudes and expectations of the playerbase.

Back then a lot of the casual players were mostly focused on leveling/exploring/having fun with friends and no one cared that they might never see AQ40, collect every mount design or profession recipe, or have multiple alts that are everybit as "caught up" as their main. I remember reading that most people never even hit the level cap back then.

The conparison I was making was vanilla WoW to other MMOs at the time. WoW was considered the casual, "easy" mode game. Yes, aspects of it were more time consuming than they are now (like leveling) but compared to other games at the time WoW wasn't considered all that time consuming.

Interestingly, this is in the files with the new patch.

Which those with the book would recognise as a WoWified version of this.

Ooooh.

Entropia

No One Remembers
literally my first old cache in my bank. So many people tried to say you couldn't get them, ptr testing said you could. vindication feels nice sometimes.

That one of the new ones? Yeah I've been reading that people are getting the new ones from their old caches.

Top Bottom