• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihail

Banned
The fact that it doesn't make sense is what I was going for.

Hehe, and I'm not out to own people. That's for Amir0x-style posters.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Tritroid said:
God, my guild got Rag down to 1% before he submerged again and we wiped last night.

1%!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to murder this game.
1% submerges are fun. You get to run around for 2 minutes trying to avoid the sons and then stack whatever dps you can muster on Rag.

Mzo

Tritroid said:
God, my guild got Rag down to 1% before he submerged again and we wiped last night.

1%!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to murder this game.
If that one rogue hadn't died so fast from getting the DOT or if that mage hadn't fallen in the lava you would've had him!

Boot them from the guild.

Mzo

dave is ok said:
1% submerges are fun. You get to run around for 2 minutes trying to avoid the sons and then stack whatever dps you can muster on Rag.
I came back with a soulstone and saw you banish a son and run away, lol.

It only happened once during our 2nd Rag kill, which was like our 5th attempt ever or so. Ever since then it's felt like easy mode.

I want to kick back and play a little WoW on the weekends but I spend most of the time waiting for boats and gryphons and shit. Why so many fucking gryphon transfers anyway? This is an aspect of real life public transportation that I don't need in my games. Fuck you Blizzard, you're not getting my money next month.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Same with Hunters. Caught one on the mount with my priest, SW:p/DP, kept close; feared when in range...but he didn't even bother wingclipping, HIS PET COULD. It also crits for 600 on an IFed Priest. I healed to full, then slapped Renew and Shield on and made my way to him, but with all the pet was doing in damage and snaring, plus his aim shot, I went down in 5 seconds. 4000 HP + most of a Shield. Both times, had the jump. He had Viper Sting going. I frankly don't know why he even bothered.

a priest who beat a hunter?! Wow you should post that on the WoW boards in one of the threads about hunters being over powered that pops up at least once an hour. :lol

Great Wasabi Man said:
a priest who beat a hunter?! Wow you should post that on the WoW boards in one of the threads about hunters being over powered that pops up at least once an hour. :lol

:lol In general I don't think Hunters are over powered, but I know they own my in Battlegrounds. I attack them, then they sick their pet on me and run off. And if I go after them, the pet just keeps beating on me, and I can never really catch up to them...Or if I go at the pet, he stands back and shoots at me. OR I'll just get gang banged by a group while I stand there and fight the pet. So I guess it's really not them being overpowered, just the strategy that they use. Which I would use as well if I had a Hunter so...Whatever.

trippingmartian said:
I want to kick back and play a little WoW on the weekends but I spend most of the time waiting for boats and gryphons and shit. Why so many fucking gryphon transfers anyway? This is an aspect of real life public transportation that I don't need in my games. Fuck you Blizzard, you're not getting my money next month.
lol what?

trippingmartian said:

Wow. Blizzard's transportation is as nice as it gets short of fucking porting you to the exact spot you desire.

Stay the hell away from every other MMO if you think WoW's timesinks are bad.

Tamanon

Banned
trippingmartian said:

Yeah seriously, NEVER play any other MMORPG ever.

ToyMachine228 said:
:lol In general I don't think Hunters are over powered, but I know they own my in Battlegrounds. I attack them, then they sick their pet on me and run off. And if I go after them, the pet just keeps beating on me, and I can never really catch up to them...Or if I go at the pet, he stands back and shoots at me. OR I'll just get gang banged by a group while I stand there and fight the pet. So I guess it's really not them being overpowered, just the strategy that they use. Which I would use as well if I had a Hunter so...Whatever.

:lol what I get I sick my pet on a caster with BW and it seems I turn into a 500 ft tall target dummy thats spams "Attack me please Attack me please I love it" and warriors shamans and rogue come out of the woodwork. :lol

Seriously though. The gryphon routes are pretty bad. There should be a flight path in every territory and you should be able to take a gryphon to any spot in the continent. World of Waitcraft indeed.

An otherwise perfect RPG.

Zaptruder

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Seriously though. The gryphon routes are pretty bad. There should be a flight path in every territory and you should be able to take a gryphon to any spot in the continent. World of Waitcraft indeed.

Instead of comparing WoW to other games, why not compare it to itself.

Travel Paths in the game in general are fucking borked.

In Feralas, the boat to the island on the west side for alliance... it takes your AROUND the island before stopping. You can swim there faster even if boat arrives at the same time you plunge into water.

Not arguing with you trip; just quoting your post as a continuation of topic.

Great Wasabi Man said:

I was once that priest (7 points in Shadow, too! I shit you not!). But anyways, yeah; smart guy that hunter, who kicked ass before is now raping people even easier now with multiple buffs all over.

Zaptruder said:
In Feralas, the boat to the island on the west side for alliance... it takes your AROUND the island before stopping. You can swim there faster even if boat arrives at the same time you plunge into water.
:lol This is part of what angered me last night.

xabre

Banned
trippingmartian said:

Some of it is stupid, like no alliance flight point to Ratchet but gryphons to anywhere? Let's be realistic.

so I just started a Hunter on the Oceania server (sick of healing with my priest and wanted to try something different). Got to level 10 last night and now have to make a decision between Beast Mastery, Marksmanship, and Survival. I tend to play mostly solo/duo, do 5-mans maybe once a week at best, and seriously doubt I will ever get into the raiding end-game. Any suggestions for which tree would suit me best? Thanks!

Zaptruder

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
so I just started a Hunter on the Oceania server (sick of healing with my priest and wanted to try something different). Got to level 10 last night and now have to make a decision between Beast Mastery, Marksmanship, and Survival. I tend to play mostly solo/duo, do 5-mans maybe once a week at best, and seriously doubt I will ever get into the raiding end-game. Any suggestions for which tree would suit me best? Thanks!

Jackfrost, which server? Frostmourne (PVP) or that wussy PVE server?

I got me a hunter too... Ellwing, alliance side

upto level 24 now. Send me a tell in game if you want. :)

Hell level 10 still early yet; if you want, come to the PVP server and we'll duo.

JackFrost2012 said:
Survival if you're weird and melee, Marksmanship for PVE, Beast Mastery for PVP.

I only have a lowbie hunter, but that's what I've gotten from the trees.

Ramirez

BM gimps the hunter though,I'd much rather be doing 2K+ aimed shots instead of my pet berserking on squishes...I had fun with BM for a while though...SS is just so damn usefual in pvp as well...

FiRez

Do you need a Credit Card to use the evaluation code of 10 days?

I'm currently in queue to download the client, I hope my MX4000 and my Athlon of 2.4 ghz can run decently this game

FiRez said:
Do you need a Credit Card to use the evaluation code of 10 days?

I'm currently in queue to download the client, I hope my MX4000 and my Athlon of 2.4 ghz can run decently this game
Nothing in your computer matters for this game except your RAM. If you have less than 1 gig of RAM, you're fucked. If you have a 32mb video card, you could run this game better than a person with 512 mb of RAM.

And you'll probably need a credit card, but it doesn't matter. It's the easiest MMO to just cancel an account. I'd say it's easier to cancel it than it is to start it.

FiRez

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Nothing in your computer matters for this game except your RAM. If you have less than 1 gig of RAM, you're fucked. If you have a 32mb video card, you could run this game better than a person with 512 mb of RAM.

And you'll probably need a credit card, but it doesn't matter. It's the easiest MMO to just cancel an account. I'd say it's easier to cancel it than it is to start it.

Damn, I only have 384MB of RAM in DDR-333, I will give it a try anyway, maybe the evaluation period convince me enough to get more RAM and open an account

thanks for the info.

woot.. Guild is at 5-10% area on vael.. hopefully downing him this week.

Vael so far is the most annoying boss ever in any instnace ive run into.. But the most fun :p

60 druid - deathwing pvp Unleashed Fury.

Zaptruder

Banned
early on, go with BM to level up. Then switch to 21/30 (21 in marks, 30 in survival) for the best PVP/PVE balance build, where you don't rely on your pet too much (you can snare much better with survival).

Ramirez said:
BM gimps the hunter though,I'd much rather be doing 2K+ aimed shots instead of my pet berserking on squishes...I had fun with BM for a while though...SS is just so damn usefual in pvp as well...

Agreed I went back to 21 MM/ 30 SV and I'm critting left and right doing so muchmore damage then when I was BM/MM. My pet goes down sOOO much faster not and is almost useless except to pull aggro off casters and a dot but I can live with that.

Hey I have a question for 60 hunters how long did it take for the BS gloves to drop it's almost not worth it if it wasn't the last part I needed taking sometimes over an hour to get a group if I can (took me 2 weeks last time) only to have it not drop.

Ramirez said:
Got the Brutality Blade tonight for my hunter,any suggestions on what other blade I should try to DW it with?

Hakkari offhand. Best ap weapon in game atm. Oh and Brut is pretty much the worst one hand huntar weepons :p

Ramirez

Yea I would love that from ZG,but we hardly ever do ZG and no DKP system for it,so I'd more than likely have to roll against a ton of people and thats if we ever even saw it,we haven't seen any epic drops from ZG aside from those bijous and shit =\

I picked up Book One of the War of The Ancients Trilogy today, and I'm looking forward to reading it. I plan on picking up Book Two and Three as well, to complete the trilogy to lead me into The Burning Crusade.

border

I've made it to 49 with my warrior but I'm still a total newb. Some questions:

How do you tank? Never really learned since I don't do instances that much, but I've always had trouble with this. Seems like I can never hold aggro when I'm grouped with heavy damage dealing classes like mages and rogues. I always end up running around like crazy trying to get adds to focus on me but it's tough with the cooldown on taunts, and Heroic Strike doesn't really seem to cause that much threat. My talents are all heavily focused in Arms....do I just need to respec for Protection? Seems like there is nothing there that will increase threat.

Dual wielding for warriors -- yay or nay? Some say it owns, some say it's not worth the effort since you miss a lot with the offhand weapon.

Right now I am trying to get to Revered in AB before I hit 50. Which means I can't do anything that will give me XP, since turning in Marks of Honor pushes me to the limit. Any suggestions for what I should do while I'm waiting for AB matches to start that will not give me XP? I've been doing mining runs in Badlands, but that is kind of dull and I'm nearly to the point where I can't up my smithing or mining skills with Iron and Mithril. Selling iron is pretty lucrative, but still kind of a grind. I have been trying to solo some low-level instances for loot to sell -- is that worth the time? Seems like all the good stuff is Bind-On-Pickup, and the vendor prices aren't good enough to make it more lucrative than farming ore.

While we're on the topic, what's the best build and weapon config for AB and ATV? I have been using a powerful 2H axe (Executioner's Cleaver) since it's hard to get a lot of hits in on opposing characters....so I want those 1-2 hits to be pretty powerful.

What stats should I be focusing on, when choosing equipment? I have been told that at some point you should switch from Strength to Agility, since getting Critical hits is more important than upping the attack power on each individual swing. I guess this might depend on whether you want to use 2H or 1H weapons.

Stat bonuses on weapons and items -- should I prefer attack power or strength? Is it better to go with heavy ATP bonuses or heavy strength bonuses?

Ramirez said:
Yea I would love that from ZG,but we hardly ever do ZG and no DKP system for it,so I'd more than likely have to roll against a ton of people and thats if we ever even saw it,we haven't seen any epic drops from ZG aside from those bijous and shit =\

Dragonfang blade then :p. If you get bitched at, tell em it's cuz they dont run zg.

As far as tanking goes, it really depends on what you are trying to do. At lower levels HS is pretty terrible for aggro as it depletes your rage far too much and you won't hit hard enough or get hit hard enough to get it back. Try using sunder armor and shield block then revenge. For multiple mobs keep a few sunders on all targets that aren't CC'd and revenge whichevers getting burned down at the time. When you first charge a clap if you can get it and demo shout should give you enough aggro to keep mobs off healers till CC'd.

Also, yell at anyone nuking before a sunder or two, tell healers to use hots at start of fight instead of healbombs. Holding aggro depends on the party as much as it does the tank.

I personally loathe dual wielding with warriors in pvp. They get raped so badly by missing it isn't worth it till you have a ton of +hit. Crit is pretty much king, but I wouldn't gimp AP or Sta for it. Alot of warriors break out mail gear for pvp, which I think is pretty dim.

"How do you tank? Never really learned since I don't do instances that much, but I've always had trouble with this. Seems like I can never hold aggro when I'm grouped with heavy damage dealing classes like mages and rogues. I always end up running around like crazy trying to get adds to focus on me but it's tough with the cooldown on taunts, and Heroic Strike doesn't really seem to cause that much threat. My talents are all heavily focused in Arms....do I just need to respec for Protection? Seems like there is nothing there that will increase threat."

I believe the rule of thumb is to not go protection (while you're levelling, once at 60, I imagine it's your call) as it's ineffective for soloing and you can still tank well enough by following the cookie cutter Mortal Strike build. Keep in mind there are other skills that focuses enemies on you besides Taunt. Mocking Blow, Challenging Shout (Challenging shout has a 10 min cooldown though), Revenge, and Sunder Armor are available. Sunder Armor doesn't have a cool down so use it regularly to generate lots of hate. I believe Defensive Stance generates more threat than the others as well so use it as much as possible. Switch stances a lot to use *all* of your skills as you need them. This isn't a big problem if you dumped all 5 points into Tactical Mastery, which I think is just about necessary in every build.

"Dual wielding for warriors -- yay or nay? Some say it owns, some say it's not worth the effort since you miss a lot with the offhand weapon."

I've specced fury for my warrior (It's a low level warrior, 29) and dual-wield and I like it. That's as far as I've thought it through. I haven't read anything that implies it's total shit, though. You miss more with dual-wielding, but the potential dps is higher and the attack rate is faster, it all evens out in the end, I reckon.

Teknopathetic said:
I believe Defensive Stance generates more threat than the others as well so use it as much as possible.

You miss more with dual-wielding, but the potential dps is higher and the attack rate is faster, it all evens out in the end, I reckon.

Nope, Def is just mitigation. You have to have points in prot to get anything more out of it.

As far as dual wielding, yes it's amazing in pve, but terrible in pvp. Warriors depend on hitting shit in order to get rage to kill shit. You will never have enough rage unless you are about to die. While true, in general fury gives you a ton of rage, miss streaks are *way* to common for it to be of any use in pvp. You simply won't live long enough for it to balance out.

Son of Godzilla said:
Nope, Def is just mitigation. You have to have points in prot to get anything more out of it.
Defense stance decreases damage by 10% and increases threat by 10%.

Sunder armor is the one button warriors push more than anything. Then you have shield block which almost guarantees a block, which guarantees Revenge lighting up, which does a bit more threat than sunder armor. Heroic strike is only good if you want to blow your rage. Demoralizing Shout is a good way to get multiple enemies on you from the start of a pull when they're running at everyone.

Read your tooltips, seriously. You could've figured this all out yourself by reading the text on your screen everytime you mouse over a button instead of ignoring it.
border said:
Right now I am trying to get to Revered in AB before I hit 50.
What's the point?

SaitoH

Like Lui Kang said, defensive for extra threat and damage reduction. Intimidating shout, sunder, revenge, and shield block/bash, which also means use a shield. Be ready with taunt, and always follow a taunt with revenge, or sunder, otherwise you'll lose aggro right away. Just remember your job is to keep aggro, not DPS.

Those are the basics.

Handling large groups is a different story ...

^_~

It should be noted that Taunt doesn't guarantee tank aggro... while there's no official Blizzard confirmation on how the skill works, it's generally believed that it either 1) raises aggro considerably and guarantees the enemy looking at you for two or so seconds, or 2) puts you only 1 or more "threat" points above the current highest threat to the enemy. I'm pretty sure it's #2, because I know all warriors will remember moments where they've taunted something off of someone only to have it go right back towards its previous target because we didn't establish aggro after the taunt.

And I hope I don't have to tell you that you should always be using a shield when tanking.

border said:
What stats should I be focusing on, when choosing equipment? I have been told that at some point you should switch from Strength to Agility, since getting Critical hits is more important than upping the attack power on each individual swing. I guess this might depend on whether you want to use 2H or 1H weapons.

Stat bonuses on weapons and items -- should I prefer attack power or strength? Is it better to go with heavy ATP bonuses or heavy strength bonuses?
Strength above agility. You can have all the agility you want for crits, but if your damage sucks, your crits aren't worth shit. I prefer +strength gear that has a +1% crit or whatever bonus. Get your strength up to where you'd like it and then focus on adding more agility in there.

Attack power or strength doesn't matter... that's more of something for hunters to worry about since they have ranged attacks but don't want to gimp their melee damage. 2 strength is 1 attack power, and 20 agility (or around there, I forget) is 1% crit.

+Def is something you want to keep an eye on, of course; however, there are bosses like Captain Kromcrush where you'll want +STM and +Armor over +Def, imo.

border

What's the point?
What's the point of getting to Revered in Arathi Basin? Or what's the point in doing it before I hit level 50?

I wanna get to Revered for the Defiler's PVP gear and honor bonuses (about to become an officer). I want to do it before I get to 50 because I hear that after 50 it is very difficult to get an AB game (most of the people at that level are in ATV).
Handling large groups is a different story ...
How to tank groups, then? :D

border said:
I wanna get to Revered for the Defiler's PVP gear and honor bonuses (about to become an officer). I want to do it before I get to 50 because I hear that after 50 it is very difficult to get an AB game (most of the people at that level are in ATV).
The most games happen at level 60, and the most honor is given for those at level 60. Makes no sense to hold yourself down at 50 for shitty gear.

border

The most games happen at level 60, and the most honor is given for those at level 60.
Level 60 folks know what they're doing, and the matches are harder and longer. 40-49 is a bunch of Alliance goofballs that are usually a pushover. Since you get the same amount of AB reputation no matter what tier you win in, I'd like to pull in the majority of it while wins are in an easier tier. If I feel like it, I'll try for Exalted when I get to level 60 so I can get some of the Defiler's epic gear.

Plus staying at 49 lets me solo some of the low-level dungeons I never bothered with, and gives me time to level up blacksmithing skills that I'd previously neglected in favor of questing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom