• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Azwethinkweiz said:
You're doing something very wrong if she's evade bugging. I haven't seen Ony evade bug in almost a year.

Someone might of zoned back in afther death, that'll cause her to try to go after them, and hence evade begins.

firex

I honestly can't seem to find exactly what balance of Fury and Prot I want (and btw, I initially wanted to go fury on this guy, then a lot of my guild warriors made it sound like you needed tactical mastery to do anything, so I went with that weirdass tri-spec since I don't want MS) but this is a build I've gotten so far (with 1 point left and no idea where to spend it).
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...000000000000505010550501205105050000500000000

Since I can tank fine with a fury build, I'm definitely sticking with it... Just not sure what all I should invest in. and I did respec earlier today (before work) to fury. Haven't gotten to try it yet but since my warrior's only level 25 I should at least have some fun with piercing howl.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...130200000000505010402501205100000000000000000

That's my spec. I do agree that you really need Tactical Mastery. Are you Horde or Alliance? If you're Alliance, you really don't need Defiance (because Paladins have Blessing of Salvation), and you could get Tactical Mastery and still have 10 points to put into Prot.
thundersabre said:
First of all what are the differences between normal, pvp, and rpg realms?

Second what is a good realm to join? I'm new to this MMORPG thing and I'd like some advice.
On a PVP realm, you can be attacked by the opposing faction. If you're Alliance, a Horde character can attack you and kill you whenever they want (except in the starting zones, which are safe for noobs to run around in). It's the most popular realm type because you really develop hate and competition for the opposing faction.

There are normal PVE realms where Horde and Alliance can only attack each other if they allow it. You type /pvp and turn PVP on or off. This is preferred for people that just want to get through the game's content without having to fight over spots with the other faction. A lot of people don't like this because it feels dumb having a Horde raid just run through an Alliance town and no one can do anything about it.

RP realms are for role-players that like to get serious about their characters. The assumption is that these realms are more mature, but they're not.

I recommend you make your choice between PVE, PVP, RP, or RP-PVP and go to http://www.warcraftrealms.com/census.php. Search through servers for the game type you want to join, and find a server with low population. You don't want a high population server because it'll just be laggy or in the worst cases, the realm will be full and you have to wait in a queue to get in. If you're making Alliance characters, pick a low population server that has low Alliance compared to Horde, and vice versa. For the love of God, do not fucking make an Alliance character on a server already overloaded with Alliance. There's no point, and you'll just add to the population imbalance.

You want a high pop server.

On a low pop server you have no end game options at 60. There will only be a few guilds doing those zones and many of them will be full.

On the other hand on a high pop server there will be a plethora of options for you with regards to the end game.

Also, on low pop servers the PVP scene is DEAD. My old server Gilneas' used to be a low-medium pop server until it had a population explosion. Before this explosion there were only 8 guilds total on both sides that were doing end game raids. The other guilds were nowhere near to having the ability to do these raids and as a result many of these players started to get extremely frustrated with their inability to do the end game.

However, over the next few months the server grew, and now for those players who want to raid they are over 30 guilds out there for them to look at. Rather than simply be stuck in a rut doing endless scholo runs, players of ANY class (other than priests/druids) now had the ability to simply send out a bunch of applications and most likely get into an endgame guild.

Sirpopopop said:
On the other hand on a high pop server there will be a plethora of options for you with regards to the end game.
lol what?

On high pop servers, the raiding guilds are full or queued up with applications unless you're a healer, and your only option is to hope some group of not-good-enough 60's are organized enough to make a try for MC to wipe at the first few pulls for a month. Even if you're a warrior and have all of the best blues, you're not welcome in the big guilds that will just take someone from another guild that has 2/8 of their Tier 1 set and some MC experience.

The best hope is to get into a good guild on a low pop server that's ready to raid hard once they get enough people at 60. That low pop server will be high pop one day, and you will be there leading the raid charge. Like you said, the server grows, and raid options appear.

Anyway, you assuming that all anyone wants to do at 60 is raid further perpetuates the same tired argument that 60 is for raiding and there's nothing else to do in this game, etc etc. I'd think that someone completely new at MMORPGs isn't interested in that just yet.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
lol what?

Oh look, Liu Kang acting like a jackass again. Drop the attitude, you're nothing special. Just another sarcastic fuck who probably trolls the Raid & Dungeons forum a bit too much. Like all those people you have an epeen way too big for your bloated head.

On high pop servers, the raiding guilds are full or queued up with applications unless you're a healer, and your only option is to hope some group of not-good-enough 60's are organized enough to make a try for MC to wipe at the first few pulls for a month. Even if you're a warrior and have all of the best blues, you're not welcome in the big guilds that will just take someone from another guild that has 2/8 of their Tier 1 set and some MC experience.

That might be true on Shattered Hand. It's not necessarily true on many of the other high pop servers. That's the other thing with high pop servers, the whole stealing people from guilds thing - many guilds rise and fall apart relatively quickly. Usually every month some new raiding guild will be formed and you can latch onto that guild.

Now for pvp - there are no inherent advantages to going to a low pop server. It just means that you have a giant hassle trying to get a variety of pvp matches. You get stuck with few pvp options and often end up waiting while two teams continually battle each other over and again all queing together into the Battlegrounds at the same time.

The best hope is to get into a good guild on a low pop server that's ready to raid hard once they get enough people at 60. That low pop server will be high pop one day, and you will be there leading the raid charge. Like you said, the server grows, and raid options appear.

Nah the low pop server will usually always stay low pop until some raid guilds transfer onto the server (Server Transfers FTW) and wreck the server's culture. Then the server stops becoming a fun place to play and people leave that server to crowd a new server.

Anyway, you assuming that all anyone wants to do at 60 is raid further perpetuates the same tired argument that 60 is for raiding and there's nothing else to do in this game, etc etc. I'd think that someone completely new at MMORPGs isn't interested in that just yet.

There are two things to do at 60, raiding and pvp. Scholomance, Dire Maul, UBRS, LBRS, are all enjoyable for oh say a week. Besides, most players like to raid. I bet you will too - It's more fun and challenging than a weaksauce easy 5-man.

On a low pop server good luck doing either. Trust me, playing on a server (Gilneas) which had for quite a few months, maybe 2000-3000 Horde players total, and about 400 level 60s, it was a miserable experience. Gilneas during my return on the other hand has turned into an enjoyable server thanks to its blossomed population, and now there are at least some options for a Horde player. PVP is almost always on, and there are a plethora of raiding guilds, some of which are actually good.

Before hand, there was one or two pvp matches going on total, Alterac Valley never ever occurred, and there were only 3 endgame options for raiding, none of which were satisfactory since all 3 guilds had their problems.

On a high pop server you have options, there is a reason why these servers are high pop, and there is a reason why low pop servers are low pop. No one wants to play on a low pop server, a low pop server is a dead server.

High Pop server = queues, but it's a small price to pay for a decent community.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
fyi...PVE server horde can't run around in alliance towns without

A) Getting severely ganked by guards

B) Getting auto-flagged for pvp in cities and getting ganked by players AND guards

C) Auto-Flag when they attack a guard or defend against a guard and get ganked by players/guards

At least on my server there are a lot of raids that happen where people PVP in the towns, out in the open, etc.

Lots of flagged people around if you want a fight.

arhra

Azwethinkweiz said:
You're doing something very wrong if she's evade bugging. I haven't seen Ony evade bug in almost a year.
I think someone got tailwhipped up onto the walls or something, she'd turned around for a second and got out of position for some reason (one of the priests resisted a fear, i think). However it happened, it was incredibly frustrating. Still, pretty good going considering that we had about 3 people in the raid who'd even been into the zone before.

I just made a Paladin on Thursday night or so and am up to level 22. I think this class is really fun. So I'll ask everyone what they think the funnest class is?

etiolate

Banned
Mr Pockets said:
fyi...PVE server horde can't run around in alliance towns without

A) Getting severely ganked by guards

B) Getting auto-flagged for pvp in cities and getting ganked by players AND guards

C) Auto-Flag when they attack a guard or defend against a guard and get ganked by players/guards

At least on my server there are a lot of raids that happen where people PVP in the towns, out in the open, etc.

Lots of flagged people around if you want a fight.

It's weird and slightly confusing on Normal servers. I think I went into this like level 15-19 sorta outpost town, a Tauren one. Everything was marked as red,but didn't say PVP. Then i figured they were just hostiles, the Grimtotems, but they respawned almost instantly. I killed like 60 of them. It was weird. I also thought you got HK for killing PVP marked NPCs, but I got none for taking out this Troll herbalist in The Crossroads.

Zensetsu

etiolate said:
It's weird and slightly confusing on Normal servers. I think I went into this like level 15-19 sorta outpost town, a Tauren one. Everything was marked as red,but didn't say PVP. Then i figured they were just hostiles, the Grimtotems, but they respawned almost instantly. I killed like 60 of them. It was weird. I also thought you got HK for killing PVP marked NPCs, but I got none for taking out this Troll herbalist in The Crossroads.

Grimtotems are just an evil tauren mob, enemy for the horde too. IIRC. Like darkiron dwarves for the alliance.

firex

the most fun class I've played so far is warlock, then warrior, then probably either hunter or mage.

and I'm horde. I think I figured out a solution to no tactical mastery though (as much as I don't want to be without that) so I should be ok.

Pimpbaa

RP realms are for role-players that like to get serious about their characters. The assumption is that these realms are more mature, but they're not.

Actually they are. Not by much at times, but in general they do have a more mature population.

fallout

etiolate said:
As someone mentioned, those Grimtotem guys are just mobs. Also, you don't get honour for killing PvP flagged NPCs. If you did, people would just farm it.

I've always wondered if getting Horde/Alliance faction rep for killing opposing guards would be good. That rep doesn't really get you much, but it'd be nice to get some kind of reward considering that being killed by those NPCs is a 10% durability loss. If my guild is doing a lot of world PvP, I can blow like 20g in a week just on repairs, heh.

epmode

Sirpopopop said:
Oh look, Liu Kang acting like a jackass again. Drop the attitude, you're nothing special. Just another sarcastic fuck who probably trolls the Raid & Dungeons forum a bit too much. Like all those people you have an epeen way too big for your bloated head.
Wow, calm down. And for the love of god, don't use the word "epeen" again.

epmode said:
Wow, calm down. And for the love of god, don't use the word "epeen" again.

Calm down?

Let's see, the way Liu always expresses his opinions through demeaning someone else. So I call him out on this, and now I'm being told to can it?

Sorry, no dice. I have no problems being civilized when the situation calls for it, but when someone feels like acting like a dick, well... I might as well push back.

As for using the word "epeen" it's a good word to describe people who think they are the shit because they killed some mob AI that can't even compare to some of the insanely difficult mobs that EQ threw at you. I get it, Liu is in a pretty nice raiding guild. Just don't let the fact you are in such a guild color the way you talk to the rest of us.

Sirpopopop said:
Calm down?

Let's see, the way Liu always expresses his opinions through demeaning someone else. So I call him out on this, and now I'm being told to can it?

Sorry, no dice. I have no problems being civilized when the situation calls for it, but when someone feels like acting like a dick, well... I might as well push back.

As for using the word "epeen" it's a good word to describe people who think they are the shit because they killed some mob AI that can't even compare to some of the insanely difficult mobs that EQ threw at you. I get it, Liu is in a pretty nice raiding guild. Just don't let the fact you are in such a guild color the way you talk to the rest of us.
I would like to see where I demeaned anyone or acted like a dick in that post of mine you quoted. He's right, you need to chill.

Your assumed use of the challenge of EQ being too much for me as an elitist example of why I'm not so great is more of a demeaning, unnecessary insult than anything I said.

etiolate

Banned
I don't know what you guys are talking about. I have not found the Warlock to be all that fun to play. At times yes, but in general its much slower and tedious.

firex

I like my warlock a ton, but if you just let the voidwalker tank for you and slowly kill things, then it can be tedious. That's why you shouldn't really do that past about level 30 or so, and instead should either drain tank (with the fel concentration talent) or fear kite, or even solo with the voidwalker's demonic sacrifice buff.

New guld is in the same boat. After getting over the coordination required for Luci, we downed him, but then got Mag and Gehennas (what a chump) on the first shot. We backed out and are starting over Wednesday night. I was kinda shocked how easy Gehennas was compared to Lucifron.

yacobod

Banned
my guild downed domo for the first time on saturday

gonna try Rag tonight

hopefully have him down in a week or so of practice

I would like to see where I demeaned anyone or acted like a dick in that post of mine you quoted. He's right, you need to chill.

hmm... let's see:

The opening line to your response to me. You quoted one line of what I said and then went, "lol what". Laughing at what I said is certainly dickheaded. Maybe not demeaning, but definitely a dickheaded move.

Your assumed use of the challenge of EQ being too much for me as an elitist example of why I'm not so great is more of a demeaning, unnecessary insult than anything I said.

Did I say it was too much for you? No.

I just said there's no reason for you to act elitist when a lot of people who have played WoW have faced harder AI in other games.

Oh man! I always wanted something to invade the towns, much like the way they ended beta. SO COOL! I was hoping with AQ we would see bugs invading Stormwind, Undercity etc... If its the undead that will be invading, I'm all for that. Cool shit.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Sirpopopop said:
I just said there's no reason for you to act elitist when a lot of people who have played WoW have faced harder AI in other games.
Like the EQ bosses that cant be killed at all without being exploited and drop no loot because they were never meant to be killable?

WoW encounters > any other MMO encounters.

Molten Core is boring as hell and is only there to teach people how to tank, heal, dps, and cleanse/decurse.

BWL addedmobs that require hate list manufacturing, learning to use LOS, deaggros that affect your total hate overall and not just at the moment, and dynamic encounters that change from week to week.

I cant wait to see what they throw at us with AQ and Naxxaramus.

dave is ok said:
Like the EQ bosses that cant be killed at all without being exploited and drop no loot because they were never meant to be killable?

That's what happens after multiple expansions. "unkillable" mobs become killable. That's not a problem with mob design/difficulty but rather abilities/items spiraling out of control. Thankfully WoW has fixed that. I actually like WoW itemization, which is contrary to most people's views. It keeps mudflation down from the levels it could end up being at if they went the VI path. If I thought VI did things right, I'd go play EQ2.

But, hey the buggyness and the fact that mobs were almost always out of tune with what players could possibly do is what made EQ frustrating and difficult. I won't make any bones, EQ raiding was difficult because of laxness on VI's part, not because of any intentional design. They often choose to take the most frustrating path when they choose to make mobs.

Of course, my point still stands, that shit was damn hard. It also was about as fun as playing Turok: Dinosaur Hunter (not meant as a compliment).

WoW encounters > any other MMO encounters.

Yeah I agree with this when you talk about BWL. Not for MC, and certainly not for Onyxia. Onyxia is the poster child for bad mob design since it's a random fight, but not because it was intentionally designed that way. Rather, the fight is like your typical VI fight: A buggy mess. Thankfully she's a pushover.

Molten Core is boring as hell and is only there to teach people how to tank, heal, dps, and cleanse/decurse.

MC teaches jack shit. Maybe in the beginning it was a valuable teaching tool, but the zone has been so dumbed down that it's really just phat epic loot tour now.

BWL addedmobs that require hate list manufacturing, learning to use LOS, deaggros that affect your total hate overall and not just at the moment, and dynamic encounters that change from week to week.

BWL isn't too tough from a complexity standpoint (of what I've seen so far). Vael is a fun fight, but just like most EQ fights it is based on luck. If all your healers get BA - you're through. It is an incredibly simplistic encounter that really isn't difficult per se, just frustrating. It reminds me of a gimped Hoshkar from SoV. Heck, it was probably a designed throwback to that fight. I haven't fought Nefarian yet, but it looks pretty dynamic.

Learning to use LOS was something that you had to do in EQ for Trakanon, one of the first boss mob encounters. Hate lists and aggro management were also things involved with the earliest bosses in the game.

More fights like Razorgore would be nice. Less Vael/Onyxia types, please.

SyNapSe

Good Paladins are unreal in group PvP (BG's) anymore.. they are so tough if played right. Either in healing/buffing/cleansing a small group (like you'd think a Holy/Disc Priest should be the best at) or just solo holding something like a cap point in AB. It's unreal how tough it is to take down a single pally defending an AB cap point before the help he called for arrives.

Ripclawe

Banned
yah!!!
We’ve been hard at work at Patch 1.10 and I’m excited to bring you a small sneak preview of some of the content. We’ll be offering a series of quests for maximum level players so they can obtain a really good, class-specific armor set. This should prove to be a great way for non-raiding players to upgrade their gear. Here are some highlights:

• Characters follow a new quest line to obtain an armor set
• The armor sets contain 4 rare and 4 epic pieces
• Some of the pieces can be obtained by soloing (including one of the epic pieces)
• The most difficult pieces to obtain require a UBRS level group
• We are adding new bosses to existing dungeons
• Some of the existing dungeons are being re-itemized

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=6890058&p=1&tmp=1#post6890058

Tamanon

Banned
Aight, the game had start to lose a little appeal to me...but I discovered two separate things that have sucked me in.

Fishing.....I know it's stupid but I just love fishing now....

And more importantly, Battlegrounds. Made an alt Warlock for my 54 Warlock specifically to try out Battlegrounds at lower levels and I'm hooked.:) Level 26 now and Warsong Gulch is pretty dang fun as a Warlock. First 3 matches the Alliance lost, no teamwork whatsoever. 4th match, we finally started clicking it seemed, pulled that one out after TWO HOURS. Jeez, talk about an endurance session. Picked up 76 HKs there and at least 900 honor....not too bad, hopefully I'll at least be a Corporal tomorrow:)

hobart

Those notes are VERY exciting, actually.

For someone who loves to solo... it really doesn't matter what the reward is... I'm just glad to see it back.

yacobod

Banned
quick update

spawned rag for the first time and had 3 attempts before calling it quits

we need to work on controlling the sons of rag better

looks like rag will be a bottle neck until we can gear up a little more

up until rag we've been moving pretty quickly thru MC

had a little trouble with luci at first (but thats because we were taking only 26 ppl into MC at first), magmadar gave us trouble until we got 2 tranq shots, and we had a little trouble with baron gedon, but every other boss we took down on our first attempt

what is everyone's experience with rag?

will it take a lot of gearing up before we can put a dent into him

whats more important when gearing up, going for all out DPS, or stacking FR for a dps warrior

SaitoH

http://www.partingvisions.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=75

Small Update from Tigole

To clarify one point:

Not all of the dungeons are getting *completely* re-itemized. What we’ve been doing is going through some of the higher end dungeons and removing or replacing egregious drops, upgrading existing items or changing drop percentages. For example, there are many Green items in Blackrock Depths that will be removed, replaced or upgraded with blue items. To give another example, Magister Boots will become easier to obtain, as they are being moved off of the Postmaster and into a new, more traveled location.

Paladin Set

One Piece Known:

Soulforge Helm (epic)
Soulbound
Head (Plate)
556 Armor
+16 Strength
+17 Stamina
+17 Intellect
+12 Spirit
Durability 100/100
Equip: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 14.
Equip: Increases your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.

Set Bonuses: (8 Piece Set)
(3) Set: +50 Armor.
(5) Set: Increases damage and Healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 12.
(6) Set: +6 All Resistances.
(8) Set: Chance on melee attack to increase your damage and healing by up to 140 for 10 sec.

Source: 1up.com

Warrior Set

One piece known:

Breastplate of Heroism (Epic)
Soulbound
Chest (Plate)
684 Armor
+21 Strength
+13 Agility
+26 Stamina
Durability 165/165
Equip: Increases chance to hit by 1%

Set Bonuses (8 Piece Set)
(3) Set: +50 Armor.
(5) Set: +20 Attack Power
(6) Set: Increases your chance to get a critical strike by 1%.
(7) Set: Increases your chance to parry an attack by 1%.
(8) Set: Chance on melee attack to heal you for 88 to 132.

Warlock Set

One Piece Known:

Deathmist Wraps (Epic)
Soulbound
Hands (cloth)
54 Armor
+15 Stamina
+12 Intellect
Durability 35/35
Equip: Improves your chance to hit with spells by 1%.
Equip: Improves your chance to get a critical strike with spells by 1%.

Set Bonuses (8 Piece Set)
(2) Set: Increases damage and healing done by magical spells and effects by up to 23.
(4) Set: +8 All Resistances
(6) Set: When struck in combat, there is a 2% chance your attacker will flee in terror from you at a reduced movement speed.
(8) Set: +200 Armor

This is sounding quite nice.

that warrior chest is a bit good. Sorta makes the chromatic chest useless excluding the fire resistance. Which sucks since it's so bloody difficult to get. I'm all for an easier to obtain set, I know I could use it, but not whilst sacrificing high end equipment for me to aspire to

Ramirez

The good ones just deathcoil me,then just fear me again and dot me up and it never breaks no matter how much shit they throw on me :(

And all the shamans I play with complain about tremor totem never working,lol.

yacobod

Banned
my UI

Rag1.jpg

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
The 8 piece bonus to that warlock set is just odd. +200 to armor? Can't really see that being helpful at all.

Also, on Friday my guild killed Nefarian for the first time. I wonder if they nerfed him some in the last patch. Friday was only our second day of serios attempts on him. Once we got the transistion from phase one to phase two it wasn't that bad at all. I have to say that BWL is a lot more fun than MC. The fights are all a lot more interesting and you have an actual reason to pay attention cause a single mistake can wipe the raid.

Mazre

Also, on Friday my guild killed Nefarian for the first time. I wonder if they nerfed him some in the last patch. Friday was only our second day of serios attempts on him. Once we got the transistion from phase one to phase two it wasn't that bad at all. I have to say that BWL is a lot more fun than MC. The fights are all a lot more interesting and you have an actual reason to pay attention cause a single mistake can wipe the raid.

As far as I know he hasn't been changed at all, the entire trick to that fight is making the transition cleanly with only a couple of deaths (eventually none). Phase 2 is just extended Onyxia phase 3 without lava vents and a few twists. The biggest changes that occurs patch to patch raid wise are the ones that icrease overall raid dps or improve zone performance (frame lag/server stability). This can seriously increase the damage done by a raid. Last patch for instance they improved UI elements, increased caster damage thanks to Curse of Shadows/Elements, and the addition of aggro totems and greater buffs means more overall dps.

I remember when my guild was working on rag before the debuff limit was changed we had trouble getting him down to under 50%, after the change we had him down to about under 40% easily as well as clearing through MC much faster.

My current guild just downed Chromaggus the first time last night and managed to get Nef to land once last night. Though I did get to kill Nef a couple of times back in October when I was apping to another guild.

fallout

Ramirez said:
And all the shamans I play with complain about tremor totem never working,lol.
Well, it doesn't cover all fear effects (I can't even recall which ones it does cover specifically) and it takes a second to kick in, so it can still interrupt you if you're trying to heal or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom