• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

we're up to chrom in BWL in my guild. I think we'll down him this weekend, but who knows. we're still just learning him, it'll be only our second attempt.

and on related news, but of a much crappier raid instance, I finally got my fucking ZHC from ZG so I never, ever have to go back to that place. i've literally raided it enough to get all 3 of hakkar's caster drops, the pants of bloodlord, and nearly to revered. and that's with going practically once a week for 3-4 months.

Deg

Banned
As a hunter what things should i look out for. One guy told me am better off with higher agility gear than strength? Kinda confusing. Bear in mind i am not much of a RPG person. The other thing is i cant seem to join any Arathi Basin game! I've queed for a whole day and nothing. Warsong Gluch is overly popular however. But i want to at least how Arathi Basin is as it sounds interesting.

border said:
So is HL2. I doubt Valve is going to allow simultaneous logins of the same CD-Key.

Sure but i am not paying a subscription for HL2 and it was a cheaper game ;)

Strength is 100% useless to a hunter. Agility is the only base stat that increases your ranged attack power. So as a hunter I'd focus on Agility/Attack Power/Stamina buffs on your weapons/armor.

ToyMachine228 said:
It was said to originally have been the Pandaren, but Blizzard scrapped the idea due to complications with the Endangered Species list, and the Chinese userbase of WoW. Right now most people have their money on the Dranei, but I have heard just about everything from the Naga, to the Wildhammer Dwarves :lol There is a chance we may find out at E3, but right now I don't think anyone really knows.

Call me crazy but, I'd put the Nreubians on my list.

Deg said:
As a hunter what things should i look out for. One guy told me am better off with higher agility gear than strength?

Strength only improves your melee. Agility improves your melee AND your ranged attack. You have absolutely no need for Strength. Your #1 stat is Agility. Your #2 stat is Agility. Your #3 stat is either Stamina or Intelligence--the former is useful for PVP and general survivability; the latter is useful for a large mana pool and if your pet does most of the tanking.

Focus on Agility (and Attack Power, when you can get it); balance the rest between Stamina and Intelligence, depending on your playstyle.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Ugh, it's becoming harder and harder to play my mage. =/ Just can't get into it. lvl 28 (I know, lowbie) but grinding in Ashenvale with quests and such. Pain in the ass. This class ever pick up?

Kintaro said:
Ugh, it's becoming harder and harder to play my mage. =/ Just can't get into it. lvl 28 (I know, lowbie) but grinding in Ashenvale with quests and such. Pain in the ass. This class ever pick up?

Yeah, get the hell out of Ashenvale. Go to Duskwood and then in a couple levels, the short jump to STV. Duskwood has the long corpse runs, but the quests and the people there are infinitely more interesting than Ashenvale. It's no wonder the Night Elves have been slowly losing ground to their enemies. Their lands are too boring to defend.

Deg

Banned
Thanks guys agility stats it is.

Kintaro said:

Ashenvale is easy for my lvl 26 hunter. :D

fallout

Kintaro said:
Heh, at least you weren't there as a leveling Horde character on a PvP server when WSG came out. I couldn't even notice the boringness with the continual ganking. :lol

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
fallout said:
Heh, at least you weren't there as a leveling Horde character on a PvP server when WSG came out. I couldn't even notice the boringness with the continual ganking. :lol

Yeah, I MGS my way through contested places since I know a) I'm not skilling enough in pvp yet and b) my class will get wtfpwned. Eh, I'll keep at it I guess. I'm used to playing kickass melee, so this mage thing is very new and frustrating.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah that's the thing with Mages.. or at least it was for me. Late levels of 25 through to early 30's were torturous. Once you hit past 30 however, PvP with a Mage becomes simple and quite devastating at times.

I'd say if you get bored, get onto lvl 29 and head into WSG for some PvP training.

ToyMachine228 said:

GOD! I thought you all played Warcraft...

The Nerubian spider-men once ruled over the kingdom of Azjol-Nerub that stretched like a great web beneath the desolate glaciers of Northrend. However the Lich King crushed their dark empire and sent them skittering into the arctic wastelands. Though there are few pockets of Nerubian warriors left, they still seek to gain vengeance upon Ner'zhul and reclaim their subterranean kingdom

From page 140 of WC III

Deg

Banned
Kintaro said:
Hunter = WoW on easy mode. =P

I disagree. I died like ten times today. Hunters cause alot of aggro. They should never be main pullers. I keep pulling in 3 enemies minimum :p

SyNapSe

Deg said:
I disagree. I died like ten times today. Hunters cause alot of aggro. They should never be main pullers. I keep pulling in 3 enemies minimum :p

wow.. what the hell are you pulling with MS? Use distracting or something... I'm not going to say Hunter is EZ mode like some people do, but at least in solo PvE they are the best.. IMO, anything reasonable is pretty easy for WoW solo/duo/questing type PvE.. hunters can just do it faster.

Make a Trap/FD macro (and bind it to mouse4 or 5) and don't use Aimed to pull or something.

SaitoH

Hunters are a hard class to play well. I swear almost none have a clue how to use traps well, and even fewer realize the damage potential of the 10 second shot rotation. When you can maintain 200-250 DPS in a 5 man (wearing greens and blues), and distract trap on the fly, then you are starting to realize the real potential.

And Deg ... if you get aggro ... feign death. I'm flabbergasted at the amount of hunters that don't use this incredible tool at their disposal. I seriously want to strangle hunters that get aggro and spend the fight meleeing. They even seem to foget disengage for some reason.

Also, my warrior cried today. Saw a hunter with Ashkandi today. Sad that 2 bone slicing hatchets would give more RAP ...

So many hunters and so few that know how to play.

Shouta

Hunter PVE is pretty easy but it can get to be a handful quickly as you get higher. The real problem is that Hunters get some SHITTY weapons from like 30-50, I swear it's like clawing my face out looking for a good weapon in that range that isn't a super rare Purple or even Blues.

For Hunter stats, AGI, STA, INT, STR/SPI in that order. If you can swap a little AGI for some STA on some occasions, I'd highly recommend it but try to keep at least double your base AGI on you before you do that.

Also, the pet you choose will affect your soloing. Some pets are far better for soloing than others while others are better for PVP and still others are better for raiding.

"And Deg ... if you get aggro ... feign death. I'm flabbergasted at the amount of hunters that don't use this incredible tool at their disposal. I seriously want to strangle hunters that get aggro and spend the fight meleeing. They even seem to foget disengage for some reason."

Oh, the PvP hunters love to FD, then throw down a freezing trap. Good times.

Shouta

Freeze Traps are sexy. Even better when you fuck with a Warrior who keeps charging at you and gets frozen again. I swear the poor Tauren ended up getting Frozen like 5 times in a row before the mage friend I had in the BG and I totally reamed him. :lol

SaitoH

Son of Godzilla said:
Ashkandi = ultimate hunter weapon come 1.10's 25 agi chant. Most ap in game aside from silly agi polearm in aq.

I stand corrected. I completely forgot about the new 25 agility 2 hander enchant coming with next patch.

Still, seems like a waste of one on the best DPS weapons in the game. Though I suppose this shouldn't surprise me considering I've seen pallies wearing crown of destruction.

border

Got 6 parts of my Valor set now, but the last two I need are the worst -- breastplate and helm drops off of the final bosses in Scholomance and UBRS. As a non-guilded warrior it's kind of rough getting into UBRS pugs.....is it worth my time to get the UBRS key so that I can get priority in groups? Is the quest even do-able without guildies?

The main dilemma here is that UBRS will be 10-man only after 1.10 patch, so I might spend all this time only to have the dungeon made more difficult and time-consuming once I get the key.....when I could've been zerging through in 15-man groups. OTOH if I don't get my breastplate by the time the patch hits and I don't have a key, then I will be even less likely to get a spot in UBRS pugs.

border

I agree with you on Battlegear of Valor, actually. Too PVP focused....full of retarded Spirit bonsues that nobody really needs. I wasn't bothering with Valor gear at all until they said that the Tier .5 gear would be an upgrade of the Tier 0 stuff. Since I'm essentially looking for epics and more small-group content then it makes sense to go for it.

Collecting Tier 0 has at least given me something to do, and the upcoming caps on endgame instances have instilled of urgency about grabbing it before it gets more difficult and time-consuming to do so. Too much "mildly effective" tanking stuff comes from Dire Maul...aka "the instance nobody wants to go to". Running Scholo and Strat for Valor gear is much easier to pull off. Most of the time, people only want to hit up the DM Library for whatever book quest they have. Now that I've got Valor Legplates, I can wave goodbye to tedious 5-man runs on Scholo/Strat and just concentrate on 10-15-man groups that allow you to farm much more quickly and sloppily.

As it is now, I've got Ornate Adamantium Breastplate, Stoneform Shoulders, Medallion of Grand Marshall Morris, Draconian Deflector, Stonegrip Gauntlets, Band of Flesh, and Frostwolf Insignia Rank 6. All the other +Defense items are just too much of a hassle to get. Each piece of Enchanted Thorium Gear is probably 150-200g in materials even if you have the recipe =( One day I'll probably get lucky and find a pug for Blackrock Depths so I can get Stalwart Clutch, but beyond that I really don't feel like praying for Dire Maul drops....or doing the insane quest chain for Crystal Encrusted Greaves.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Valor sucks.

Truth. Solid non-lockout dungeons/Silly-thus farming tanking gear:

Golem Skull Helm/Enchanted Thorium Helm (BRD/Crafted)

Medallion of Grand Marshall Morris (Drop)

Bile Etched Pauldrons/Stockade Pauldrons (DM West/epic drop)

Ornate Adamantium BP/Kromcrush's Chestplate/Enchanted Thorium BP (EPL quest/DM North non-Tribute/Crafted)

Fel Hardened Bracers/Bracers of Valor/Vigorsteel Vambraces (Warlock Epic quest/Drop/Scholo)

Handcrafted Mastersmith Girdle/Stalwart Clutch (UBRS/BRD quest)

Band of Flesh/Band of the Ogre King (UD Strath/DM Tribute)

Stonegrip Gauntlets/Force Imbued Gauntlets (Drop/DM West)

Wraithplate Leggings/Enchanted Thorium Legguards/Warmaster Legguards (Scholo/Crafted/UBRS)

Boots of Valor/Master Cannoneer Boots/Ribsteel Footguards (Scholo/Scarlet Strath/LBRS)

Redoubt Cloak/Sergeant's Cape/Cloak of Warding/Phantasmal Cloak/The Emperor's New Cape (DM Tribute/PvP/Crafted/Scholo/BRD)

Aiming for a few of these can be a pain, but it's needed to move onto the Bloodsoaked stuff from ZG or the Sand Reaver/Unyielding Strength stuff from AQ20 to really trick yourself out. Such is the price of Warrior's gear dependancy... :p

Too much "mildly effective" tanking stuff comes from Dire Maul...aka "the instance nobody wants to go to".

The rest of your server/faction combo is nuts. That place is a gold mine for EVERYONE. /boggle

firex

just hopped onto test for a bit, and some things:
1) the blue sets seem a mix of a lot better (or at least the bonuses are more interesting) and a lot worse (some of the bonuses suck big time)
2) the .5 sets... they blow, period. marginally better stats than the blue sets, but the bonuses are stupid - the exact same shit as the blue set, only it's in reverse order (i.e. blue set's 8 piece is the 2 piece of .5, but .5's 8 piece is the 2 piece of blue)

dreadmist, for example, is going to be damn nice as the 6 piece bonus is now the chance when struck for an opponent to run in horror for 2 sec., and the 4 piece bonus is +23 spell power. lightforge/elements now have the same 6 piece bonus (in essence, you can proc +95 spell power for 10 sec) but are otherwise different.

EVERY set has +8 all resists as its 8 piece bonus.

I really hope the .5 set bonuses are a placeholder, as really, you can just find out which 4 pieces of your blue set improve the most from the quest upgrades and upgrade those, and ignore the other half.

The reason the bonuses are the same but in reverse is so that if you have 8 pieces of gear from different combinations of tier 0 and tier 0.5, you have the exact same set bonuses.

firex

That, in and of itself, is pretty lame. The .5 sets really should have their own specialized bonuses. Maybe not on the level of the full epic sets, but at least something better than the ZG sets.

Deathbone looks like fun for all the wannabe pally tanks. We've now had 3 leave our guild in the last few weeks because "I want a chance to tank, I feel if I could cast Holy Shitstains of Power and then use Blessing of I'm Not a Buffbot, I could hold aggro even better then a warrior." Oh well, sayonara buffbot.

speshylives said:
Deathbone looks like fun for all the wannabe pally tanks. We've now had 3 leave our guild in the last few weeks because "I want a chance to tank, I feel if I could cast Holy Shitstains of Power and then use Blessing of I'm Not a Buffbot, I could hold aggro even better then a warrior." Oh well, sayonara buffbot.
lol @ them

fallout

firex said:
That, in and of itself, is pretty lame. The .5 sets really should have their own specialized bonuses. Maybe not on the level of the full epic sets, but at least something better than the ZG sets.
I really, really agree. Honestly, why even announce it? Just make a little note that you made some new items and changed the loot table around.

At the least, as our friendly baker kind of got at, this might add some more customization for those who want to focus on another talent tree.

Deg

Banned
SyNapSe said:
wow.. what the hell are you pulling with MS? Use distracting or something... I'm not going to say Hunter is EZ mode like some people do, but at least in solo PvE they are the best.. IMO, anything reasonable is pretty easy for WoW solo/duo/questing type PvE.. hunters can just do it faster.

Make a Trap/FD macro (and bind it to mouse4 or 5) and don't use Aimed to pull or something.

Well i guess hunters arent that bad.

And Deg ... if you get aggro ... feign death. I'm flabbergasted at the amount of hunters that don't use this incredible tool at their disposal. I seriously want to strangle hunters that get aggro and spend the fight meleeing. They even seem to foget disengage for some reason.

I look forward to getting Feign Death. Sounds cool.

Shouta

speshylives said:

It's sort of sad though. In most MMOs, it's a combination of who can take damage the best and hold aggro really well. Paladins take damage pretty frigging well in WoW but get crap for additonal aggro generating skills which ruins their chances of tanking. Then, on top of that, they get crappy offensive skills overall. The only thing they get is their unique buffs and healing. You'd think that Blizz would give Paladins a cookie and make them tanks and healers if they gimp their attack cause Warriors can DD and Tank easily depending on spec.

SyNapSe

Deg said:
Well i guess hunters arent that bad.

I look forward to getting Feign Death. Sounds cool.

Rereading my original statement it sounds assholish, but in all honesty Hunters are incredible pullers. From your statement you don't have FD yet, that's basically a class changing skill. FD will clear your Hate table no matter how high it is *instantly* every 30 seconds. If you map out a FT/FD macro you can cheese the hell out of a lot of classes with limited skill in PvP once you are ok with the timing. Still not nearly as bad as warlocks are now.. :(

Have fun, Deg.

SaitoH

Shouta said:
It's sort of sad though. In most MMOs, it's a combination of who can take damage the best and hold aggro really well. Paladins take damage pretty frigging well in WoW but get crap for additonal aggro generating skills which ruins their chances of tanking. Then, on top of that, they get crappy offensive skills overall. The only thing they get is their unique buffs and healing. You'd think that Blizz would give Paladins a cookie and make them tanks and healers if they gimp their attack cause Warriors can DD and Tank easily depending on spec.

But isn't a pally much like the warrior in FFXI in regards to tanking? I admit I'd don't remember anything about Warrior class other than anyone I grouped with couldn't hold aggro at all. A case of role reversal, with Pallies being tanks and the Warriors "gimped".

Shouta

SaitoH said:
But isn't a pally much like the warrior in FFXI in regards to tanking? I admit I'd don't remember anything about Warrior class other than anyone I grouped with couldn't hold aggro at all. A case of role reversal, with Pallies being tanks and the Warriors "gimped".

The situation is vaguely similar but Warriors in FFXI can and do tank big mobs, lots of other end game content and regular parties as well (although more uncommon until very high level) It's just a matter of finding the correct way of applying their strengths. Primary Tanks for linkshells (FFXI guilds) depend on the style of the group and often you'll get guilds that do primarily Paladins for tanking while others use Ninjas for primary tanking and still others use Warriors primarily for tanking. It's a pretty interesting situation and it's great to watch another group go at it and see how differently they do it.

I talked with Tre`about this a little earlier but my idea for increasing the usage of Paladins beyond the Healer/Buffer (since their DD skills aren't great) role is to make them a 1v1 mob tank and give them the ability to focus the attention of one mob much easier than before. That way they wouldn't displace Warriors (who seem to be far better at crowd control) but would still increase their usage. It'd give guilds more options and make the Paladin population a lot less bitchy then they are now (and boy are they bitchy).

SaitoH

Shouta said:
The situation is vaguely similar but Warriors in FFXI can and do tank big mobs, lots of other end game content and regular parties as well (although more uncommon until very high level) It's just a matter of finding the correct way of applying their strengths. Primary Tanks for linkshells (FFXI guilds) depend on the style of the group and often you'll get guilds that do primarily Paladins for tanking while others use Ninjas for primary tanking and still others use Warriors primarily for tanking. It's a pretty interesting situation and it's great to watch another group go at it and see how differently they do it.

I talked with Tre`about this a little earlier but my idea for increasing the usage of Paladins beyond the Healer/Buffer (since their DD skills aren't great) role is to make them a 1v1 mob tank and give them the ability to focus the attention of one mob much easier than before. That way they wouldn't displace Warriors (who seem to be far better at crowd control) but would still increase their usage. It'd give guilds more options and make the Paladin population a lot less bitchy then they are now (and boy are they bitchy).

With good reason hehe

Interestingly though, Paladins are good at handling groups of trash mobs. It's situational of course, but using warrior to tank an elite while the pally off-tanks the non-elites can be very handy.

Blizzard has stated that they intend to give Paladins the ability to act as MT in 5-man situations, leaving warriors as the raid tank. One things for sure, Blizzard's vision of the Paladin is far different then what most gamers wanted. So much so, Blizzard doesn't seem to be know what to do with them now.

Shouta

SaitoH said:
With good reason hehe

Interestingly though, Paladins are good at handling groups of trash mobs. It's situational of course, but using warrior to tank an elite while the pally off-tanks the non-elites can be very handy.

Blizzard has stated that they intend to give Paladins the ability to act as MT in 5-man situations, leaving warriors as the raid tank. One things for sure, Blizzard's vision of the Paladin is far different then what most gamers wanted. So much so, Blizzard doesn't seem to be know what to do with them now.

It'd be harder to balance for situations like that though but Blizzard has the tendency to try something and worry about the balance much later it seems. :lol

But yeah, Blizzard doesn't seem to know what to do with some of their classes. It's sort of funny in a way since they seem like they're just walking into it with their eyes closed sometimes.

border

Where can I go to see stats or pictures of the Tier .5 gear? Sounds like a number of people on the test server have already sunk their teeth into it...

Hero

You want to talk about class vision?

Let's talk rogues.

DPS would be the first that comes to mind, but dual wield fury warriors can come close to, equal, or surpass us (since their shit scales with their gear) and aoe mages nuke everything. Hunters are only a fair amount of dps behind us but they hardly pull aggro (a good hunter anyway) and they're ranged so they won't be taking as much damage anyway.

Crowd control? Sap is the most retarded ability ever, as I've hardly ever seen it last the whole duration. Not to mention it can't be reapplied, and even imp sap only gives you a 90% chance of restealthing. WTF Blizz.

Rogues and mages need some serious revamping. Tired of getting owned by every other class except other rogues.

fallout

border said:
Where can I go to see stats or pictures of the Tier .5 gear? Sounds like a number of people on the test server have already sunk their teeth into it...
Swiped this from the WoW boards ...

So yeah, new paint jobs. Guess it kind of makes sense, since they're just upgrades. From what I've read (which is little), the upgrades are class specific and the set bonuses are the same.

ManaByte

Shouta said:

That's exactly what they did with Paladins in EQII and I have no problem with it (my main there is a Paladin). Basically you can taunt and hold 1v1 mobs excellently while still being able to heal, etc. But if you need someone to taunt and hold the aggro of a full group of mobs, you want a Warrior class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom