• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
SaitoH said:
Well, when you look at it like that ...

MC = free loot

^_~

Domo is just a tougher boss in MC. Maybe the toughest once you have enough FR for Rag. Only defeated up to broodlord in BWL, but we are at the point where we need to allot more than 3 hours a week to BWL. Too much raid content for 6 days a week.

naw domo is cake. hardest boss imo would be....i guess shazzrah, cause no matter how experienced ur guild is, there are always those few idiots who always RUN from him like they can get away. but i dont even like using the word "hard" with MC. its so easy/simple that its boring. I think the hardest part about MC is keeping the focus through the whole raid. they need to remove some trash or something.

broodlord is all about your healers.
imo, its a healer fight.

yea, once Naxx comes, there will be just alot of fuckin raid content.

mc, bwl, zg, aq20/40 and naxx..

what the hell

with that said, i wish blizzard would increase our bank size. yea, they are putting in 20 slot bags or whatever, but no1curr. We need bigger bank space NOW. they keep putting in all these resistance intense fights (mc/bwl - fire and a touch of shadow for perhaps one warrior, aq - nature, naxx - frost and shadow) which requires everyone (not only druids anymore) to have multiple sets of gear and lots of space to hold gear, yet they wont increase our bank space so I only have like 5 slots open with full traveler's bags in bank and on me with one ony bag.

blizz doesn't ever think about the whole picture...which is why they are also so late in putting in NR enchants to leg and pants.

explodet

As a mage, MC bores me to tears now that we've run it so many times.
I spam frostbolt 85% of the time, decurse 5% and AOE 10%. Domo is a slight break, but even then I'm staring at a sheep most of the time.

Razorgore pisses me off because of the unpredictability... even though all I do is kill mages by casting focus fire spells like frostbolt, fireblast and counterspell, every now and then I'll get a dragon 3-shotting me for no reason.

Vael is a blast though, no pun intended.

SaitoH

I've never found Shazzrah to be a problem. In fact, we've never wiped on him.

Broodlord is a joke after Razorgore and Vael, though I suppose half the fight is getting through the suppression room. Still, we've fought him twice and beat him twice.

Resist gear is getting so out of hand, and will only get worse. They really need a way to fix it. Maybe Break out the old Diablo 2 multiple paper dolls. One paper doll/inventory for each resist.

fallout

explodet said:
As a mage, MC bores me to tears now that we've run it so many times.
I spam frostbolt 85% of the time, decurse 5% and AOE 10%. Domo is a slight break, but even then I'm staring at a sheep most of the time.
:lol Yeah, my mage buddy bitched at me constantly in MC. "Every few seconds, I hit 2 ... fuck ... why am I here?" and then he stopped going, heh.

MC's fun for me as a Shaman if I'm with one of the MTs. Charge in with him, drop totems, run back, play whack-a-mole with life bars, run back in to redrop totems, run back out, play whack-a-mole some more. Run in and DPS near the end (i.e. whip out the 2h, throw wf on it and spam earthshock). I've only ever run MC a few times, but it didn't really lose interest for me while my guild was doing it, so *shrug*.

fallout said:
:lol Yeah, my mage buddy bitched at me constantly in MC. "Every few seconds, I hit 2 ... fuck ... why am I here?" and then he stopped going, heh.

That's exactly what I said to my roommate after going to MC for the first time as a Priest. Only my Flash Heal is bound to 3, not 2. TOTALLY DIFFERENT EXPERIENCE.

Tamanon

Banned
Eh I'm a mage, I kinda like not really being responsible for too much. Nto much Crowd Control needed so I'm free to kinda space out and just grab the occasional loot:)

fallout

Tamanon said:
Eh I'm a mage, I kinda like not really being responsible for too much. Nto much Crowd Control needed so I'm free to kinda space out and just grab the occasional loot:)
It's funny, sometimes I like not being responsible for too much, but I was in a non-tank group one MC and it was kinda boring. Heh, though when AoEs were wiping totems out, that was a little ridiculous.

pxleyes

Banned
Any suggestions for Razor beyond the proven strategies? My guild is having problems with him, as we have only downed him once.

SaitoH

Razorgore depends a lot on good kiting. If the kiting isn't done well, healers have to heal more, get aggro, and ruin the kiting. Shields and renew should be more than enough during phase 1.

Boot speed enchants and Piercing Howl will help the tanks a lot. Also When running over the ramps on either end, it's a good idea to jump off just past half way. Helps keep more distance between the kiter and the mobs, as they'll have to path all the way around and down the ramp.

Hmmm ... all I can think of at the moment.

Tamanon

Banned
Wow, if all my runs end up like my first one, I'll absolutely LOVE Scholomance. Picked up the Freezing Lich robes, Burial Shroud, Ace of Portals *and* about 1.5k rep for my Argent Dawn on the way to Revered.:lol 2 Mages(both frost), Warlock, Priest and a Warrior until the bosses when the Warrior DC'ed and this absolutely beastly Druid from our guild tanked the final bosses. Great time, fun instance too, especially with plenty of CC.:D

pxleyes said:
Any suggestions for Razor beyond the proven strategies? My guild is having problems with him, as we have only downed him once.

are you horde or alliance?

if you're horde, have shaman kite the legionnaires in a circle around that bind totem thing and hunters kite dragons and druids sleeping dragons.

if alliance have hunters kite the legionnaires all across the room. hunters have to have pots/tubers/ndbs on them and there should be some random druids tossing them a rejuv or renew here and there as they run across the room.
On both sides of the room there are platforms. Have a warrior on Each side kiting the Red dragonkin in Figure 8's spamming demo on them to keep aggro up as thats like 1/8th of a sunder. 2 good healers on each side with their warrior to keep them up.

have groups in each corner killing the mages that came out.

and make sure, whoever is controlling razorgore is popping those eggs quick.

OR

if you're bad ass just have groups in each corner killing all the mages and legionnaires while the 2 warriors just kite the dragons.

lolz, SNAPE KILLED RAZORGORE.

Anyway, the way we do it is to place two groups at each corner where the mobs spawn. Priests MC the legionnaries (who have a nice cleave to aggro multiple mobs, and an ability that deals 3.5-4k damage on a single dragonkin) who tank dragons, casters die fast to DPS. After a while all the mobs build up and we call for mass fearing/rooting as we finish off the last three or four eggs. Usually we have some deaths but not so many that finishing off Razorgore is very difficult. We have no real designated kiting or what not.

The amount of trash at the end of AQ40 puts Molten Core to shame. :( I'm so glad Naxx is much lighter on the trash (though the trash is pretty brutal there, from what I hear).

Edit: Scholomance is easily the best place for a Frost Mage looking to get some decent blue gear in. It's also the best place to rep up AD faction-keep grinding it, there are some decent blues/purples that will be made available next patch as they are expanding Light Hope's Chapel and the Plaugelands into what appears to be a non-retarded form of Silithus. I hate that zone so much that the only way I'm ever going to get CC rep is AQ20, AQ40 insignias, and hopefully very soon, C'thun kills.

Edit 2: If you're ever bored in a 40-man instance, you need to start either pulling more mobs at a time or pull them faster, IMO.

Momar

aka Ryder
Rogues and Arms/Fury on the mages, Mages on kiting Legionaires, and Hunters and Prots kite dragonkin. Works well enough for us :-D. Just make sure none of the mages ever Frost Nova, because if anyone runs into a huge mob of Nova-ed mobs, they're gonna get destroyed.

And after seeing some others post their chars, I couldn't resist!

jibjib1gg.jpg

P.S. anyone notice the blizzard downloader downloading a 98 meg file called "wow-patch" in the background today and yesterday? I think 1.11 is next week.

Tamanon

Banned
That's my guess also, especially since they just added the new world event to the website.

Basically don't plan on raiding on Tuesday:)

I'm not, I'm still like 8k into honored. After I got my set pieces (which was pretty fast) I never went back to strat, and I only did scholo twice ever.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Do like 10 Baron runs with your guild or something. It's super easy. Maybe some nice BOEs will drop and you can make a profit.

My guild hasn't done a baron run in over a year. And with MC/BWL/AQ40, I just really have no desire to do instances anymore than I already have to. I'll just get my rep from the world event and be done with it.

border said:
Is it worth getting all the Event-related gear for a 45 minute Baron run, do you think?

Farm twilight mobs in silithus and grind out 100g or so (getting some good CC rep in the process). Send a tell to a bored rogue in Orgrimmar/IF with too much Bloodfang/Deathdealer on and ask him if his guild does baron runs for money. Spend said money to get the run done once, without mass consumables, wiping, bad pugs, etc. Move onto the next step of the quest chain.

Really, it's so much easier that way.

Edit: As for the gear itself, I'm going to get a set for farming (quested major mana pots? Yay!) but I can't see them being used too much in Naxxramus. Would make Baron runs easy, but that's already really easy to begin with.

Tamanon

Banned
border said:
Is it worth getting all the Event-related gear for a 45 minute Baron run, do you think?

I've decided not to even do the upgrade quests after getting the first 3 pieces done. I'm just going straight to tier 1/2 now that I'm in the Core. Plus, the 45 minute baron usually goes HORRID in PUGs from what I've heard from others.

Arcanist Leggings, Boots and Robe of Volatile Power dropped as we cleared up to Shazz. Now I'm #2 on the mage list, so I'm hoping either #1 doesn't show, or something else drops and then Netherwind Crown off Rags tomorrow, hehe. It's fun to dream sometimes:p

My guild downed the twin emps on our first day of attempts today. Oddly enough, the fight is retardedly simple as long as everyone is doing what they need to do. If this is what we can expect from Naxx, it should be no problem.

there is something like 18 bosses in Naxx's lair. I'm guessing most of them will have annoying strats so i wouldn't say it will be a cake walk but possible in a few weeks. yes

firex

well, I haven't heard any definitive strategies for all of the bosses, but it really sounds like you get 2 weakass bosses as a setup for the last fight of each wing. I'm kind of curious how tough Sapphiron and Kel'Thuzad will be, though.

Tamanon

Banned
Hooooooly crap, the Core's later bosses are annoying without a proper supply of healers. We ended up with 35 people, only 3 and a half priests(one was shadow) and 2 druids. Took us 3 tries on Golemagg and we wiped twice on Sulfuron before the area repopped and we just abandoned for the day. Didn't help that our main healer, my ex, was hopped up on pain pills and thus her reactions kinda sucked. At least I got my Arcanist Robe and we picked up 15 more Lava Cores from the trash mobs....but damn, that kinda sucked!

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
LOL!!!!!!!!

"We ended up with 35 people, only 3 and a half priests(one was shadow) and 2 druids"

YOU dispell thru that shitstorm with those numbers of MC rookies. :)

This coming from a guild that iced those two first time with 32 and 30 respectively, no wipes.

Speaking of which: Domo down, Ony down, Rag to half. Next: Ossirian, Razorgore, and Jin'do. Oh yeah.

firex said:
well, I haven't heard any definitive strategies for all of the bosses, but it really sounds like you get 2 weakass bosses as a setup for the last fight of each wing. I'm kind of curious how tough Sapphiron and Kel'Thuzad will be, though.

Well, from what I've heard, the difference in level of difficulty between the first bosses through Kel'Thuzad is not a wide margin.

Azwethinkweiz said:
Well, from what I've heard, the difference in level of difficulty between the first bosses through Kel'Thuzad is not a wide margin.

I've heard similar things. I think it's just a matter of practice and figuring out a couple of things for most of the fights.

Some Koreans downed Sapphiron, apparently using exploits. He drops the new shoulder enchantments that were datamined a couple of weeks ago (e.g. the 31 healing/5 mana per 5 for healers). So keep grinding that Zandalar Tribe faction IMO as the current enchants are still good and as you replace shoulders at least you'll have something to slap on them immediately besides resists.

firex

wow, well, I did have some suspicion that Naxx wouldn't be nearly as hard as Blizz makes it sound. they might stealth buff it when it goes live on regular servers though. but after I read that wow-wiki thing about a spellbook or other treasure of Medivh being the way to open Karazahn, I'm not too surprised that it's this easy.

NME

Tamanon said:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info...550000000000000000000000000005350203102351051

Aight, so that's the build I'm looking at right now. I'm a frost mage and only really looking at this from a PvE/Raiding outlook. This just looks to maximize my damage over time and add some survivability in.

I'm doing something similar (just started playing again after about a year off), but I'm in no position to critique. I'm too new at frost mage yet.

It's a blast to play as, though (so far, anyway).

I'm thinking about putting enough points in arcane to get Arcane Meditation. I'll have to see if I still feel that way once I start speccing out with frost talents. Not sure how what I'll miss out on with those points lost will affect me. My mage is only a 13, so plenty of time to tweak my build.

firex

personally, I'd drop winter's chill unless they rework it... again. The original form where it gave 2% crit/hit and stacked 5 times was more feasible (if you haven't noticed, you've got to spend 25 seconds chain casting frostbolt just to maximize the effect). Frostbite isn't a bad idea. I know it flies in the face of nearly every other raid mob in the world, but frostbite can proc on Ragnaros. You also may want improved blizzard, because there's enough areas where the snare from that will make it the best aoe of choice (like the suppression room in BWL).

firex

heh, read that linked thread and can't say I disagree at all with the people complaining. I may be in 6/8 tier 2 and have epics in nearly every gear slot, but it's still ridiculous how poorly designed the endgame is in wow. I still remember how in beta I spent forever playing the game, but because it was a lot of fun and not because you had to just to gear up to handle mobs that have way more health and hit harder, but are otherwise just as dumb and killable as non-elite trash mobs out in silithus. In beta, there was no need to farm for anything, it was just a nice bonus to get a really rare drop when the hardcore people who were playing it ALL THE TIME would get thousands of gold, or dragon's call, or ironfoe or something like that.

Personally I can think of a ton of things Blizzard should do to make the game more friendly for 5-10 man groups and soloers, and destroy this ****ing garbage raid game we're all forced into:
1) Make all trash mob epics in MC/BWL/AQ/Naxx bind on equip, so casual players can at least grind up the money to spend on an item that a raid guild would otherwise shard
2) Remove pointless-yet-required talents like improved fort/mark and make these spells as strong by default as they are with the full talent improvement (wouldn't really benefit soloers vs. raiders or anything, but it frees up 3-5 talent points for priests and druids)
3) Remove the reagent requirements for group buffs (the extra expense is purely added in as a moneysink, and priests/druids can't farm up a lot of money compared to all the other classes)
4) Work on some ****ing 5-10 man instances in the expansion that will drop epics off each boss just like raid encounters. Epics that are better than Naxx gear. 5-10 man groups require each class to use way more of their abilities, while every raid encounter I've been through (all of MC, all of BWL, AQ40 up to Fankriss) works on a lame gimmick that's on the level of the undead FF bosses you kill by casting cure/raise spells on. It requires a little bit of thinking to come up with a plan, but no more than 5 abilities per class for the most part. And once you kill a boss the first time it's very easy to repeat it. Not that pvp or anything else in this game takes a lot of player skill, but the time investment:reward ratio is insanely over-balanced in favor of 40 man raids, when the game from level 1-60 isn't a raid fest and the gear for the most part is balanced for a person who logs 10-15 hours a week compared to the people who play this game 40+ hours a week.
5) Rework itemization and talents so classes are more balanced and get more out of their gear and talents. Right now if you were to rank the classes, it's something like this:
1st. Warrior
2nd. Hunter
3rd. Druid
Everybody else

Seriously, I'm hoping the expansion/patch 1.12 adds in some stuff for non-raiders. Very little of the actual raid content is fun for me, even when it's fresh (like AQ40). My big focus on the game is exploration (it's the main reason I keep playing) and seeing new bosses and so on, not collecting the best items, and so that's why I raid. I've found personally it doesn't require much, if any, skill to do raid encounters. It also doesn't take much to pvp (just read the basic formula for facing x class with your class and talent spec), but anyway, my big gripe with the game is it only benefits the old EQ1 playstyle at 60. I really got into this game because I liked the Warcraft series, and wanted to see and fight some of the bigger characters from the Warcraft games (which Blizzard decided to stick only in raid encounters). Also, the actual gameplay was fun (for an MMO, I mean), especially during beta before they weakened the hell out of most classes. It had a lot faster pace than it does now... and WoW still has a lot faster pace now than almost every other MMO out on the market that I've played.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
yacobod said:
hit rank 13 warlord today

16% into rank 13, kinda tempted to push for 14 :(

Just out of curiosity, how much time have you put in to achieve this? I read a disturbing thread where a bunch of rank 14 people said they had to play 16 hours a day every day for weeks on end. @_@

fallout

MrCheez said:
Just out of curiosity, how much time have you put in to achieve this? I read a disturbing thread where a bunch of rank 14 people said they had to play 16 hours a day every day for weeks on end. @_@
That's about what my roommate was doing to hit rank 13. Then he stopped playing, heh.

yacobod

Banned
eh took like 3 weeks to go from rank 12-13

i was standing 5, 5, and 4 in those weeks

averaged around 415k honor in those weeks

play times averaged anywhere from 8-16 hours a day, depending on how qs were, bonus honor, etc etc etc

some days more, some days less

NME

yacobod said:
play times averaged anywhere from 8-16 hours a day

Goodness.

So the Honor system is meant to reward the dedicated moreso than the skilled. I'm not a kid anymore. I don't have summer break. Hearing stories like this makes me more and more sure that I should never even bother with battlegrounds.

(that wasn't to say you aren't skilled, yacobod, but that timesink seems to supersede the abilities of any players).

Luckily for me, I guess, I just came back to the game. I've got a long way to go before I consider doing...well, anything of consequence, really.

They're supposedly going to revamp the honor system so that it's not just an honor grind where the people who dedicate 20 hours a day are the only ones to hit rank 14. I have no idea how they plan to fix it, but it should go live in 1.12.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom