• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tamanon said:
Blizzard did make horde appealing, but unfortunately since the game has gone mainstream, it's not appealing to the majority of mainstream players. Hopefully the Blood Elves will at least change that a little bit, I think it'll swing a wee bit towards the horde, but there's so many alliance that it can't really ever make it to even.

If WoW was only constrained to the normal MMORPG players, balance would be 60/40 alliance at worse. "Unfortunately" a ton of casuals jumped on.

Draenei look cooler than Blood Elves.

Horde loses again...

Mute

Banned
Sirpopopop said:
Draenei look cooler than Blood Elves.

Horde loses again...
Draenei.jpg

vs
ss16.sized.jpg

Yeah I'd way rather be a shapeless green fatty.

SyNapSe

Mute said:
Hah. I've actually done surprisingly well, I've ranked up at least once a week since Rank 4 other than 9 to 10 and 11 to 12. Well, 12 to 13 as well of course. Only 3 more weeks..it's actually my friends account, but I play it a lot. I really think it is physically impossible for one man to get High Warlord on his own. If he does though, major props to him, he must have no life whatsoever.

Ohh and guild got Chrommagus down to 33% last night, was our first time fighting him. Not bad at all considering we're now 1 week old.

Clearly only probably 20% at max of the people who make rank 14 are playing solely by themselves.. it's just impossible. I still wonder how much CP you have to gain a week.

It seems to differ depending on Realms ( a lot) and whether the faction is dominant on that realm. I did make Rank 6 with my 180k last week finally, but I was just in a WSG w/ two people who had 600K+ last week. How they do that is beyond me.. I seriously think if I played 24/7 for 7 days I wouldn't make 600k lol

explodet said:
I don't need you to, but this is a Discussion Forum on the Internet™ and I figured it would encourage discussion if you explained why you felt that Blizzard didn't intend to design the game to end up with the current population schism.

Although that may be an error, I remember how you feel towards shamans!

So post, or don't; it's all good.
I still don't know what you think I could possibly add to "people don't pick Horde."

SyNapSe

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
I still don't know what you think I could possibly add to "people don't pick Horde."

... How about why you think they do not pick horde. He's asking for more discussion, I think that's fairly basic. Why don't they and what could be improved to rectify it?

SyNapSe said:
... How about why you think they do not pick horde. He's asking for more discussion, I think that's fairly basic. Why don't they and what could be improved to rectify it?
I picked Horde before I rerolled Alliance because all of my online friends were Alliance, so I can't speak for other people on why they didn't roll Horde.

SyNapSe

I picked Horde before I rerolled Alliance because all of my online friends were Alliance, so I can't speak for other people on why they didn't roll Horde.

Why did you pick Horde to start?

Mute

Banned
SyNapSe said:
Clearly only probably 20% at max of the people who make rank 14 are playing solely by themselves.. it's just impossible. I still wonder how much CP you have to gain a week.

It seems to differ depending on Realms ( a lot) and whether the faction is dominant on that realm. I did make Rank 6 with my 180k last week finally, but I was just in a WSG w/ two people who had 600K+ last week. How they do that is beyond me.. I seriously think if I played 24/7 for 7 days I wouldn't make 600k lol
Yeah the honor system is sort of confusing, mainly because Blizzard does not make any effort to explain it. How far you rank up is realative to what your standing is, which is calculated by how you stand compared to everyone else on the server, and your standin calculates your rating. Honor for first varies by server. 2 weeks ago I hit 768k and took 2nd, this week it was 568 for 1st. You'll also notice that it depends on which BG is double honor, too. On our server Alliance outnumbers Horde 3:1, so we have instant queues, and if someone wants to **** you over in rank, they can, which is why honor is usually ridiculously high.

I'm terrible at explaining things, so try this: http://wowvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Guides.Detail&id=142

I doubt even 20% do it by themselves, unless PvP is a very rare occasion on their realm.

SyNapSe

I liked Tauren in Warcraft 3.

No doubt, Tauren's are hot with their breastmilk and all. Why do you think all your friends joined Allies despite the chance for inter-species Tauren breeding?

Tamanon

Banned
SyNapSe said:

Casual gamers when faced between a choice of good and evil choose good.

Even though neither side is REALLY good or evil, to show the divide between the two, they had to imply one was more good.

Tamanon said:
Casual gamers when faced between a choice of good and evil choose good.

Even though neither side is REALLY good or evil, to show the divide between the two, they had to imply one was more good.

Nah. It's the old ugly/pretty thing again (except Dwarves, the alliance race I like best).

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
The new Draenei designs still seem like such wasted potential to me. I posted this argument awhile ago, but I would have really loved to see something really DIFFERENT with the new race. Having further variety between races would have been much more interesting and fun.

These Draenei look way too much like Night Elves (the males not as much as the females, but the males look really awkward to me). It almost seems like Blizzard isafraid of having a new non-pretty/sexy race. The "Broken" draenei race depicted on the burning crusade site would have been a much more interesting design choice.

Not to mention that their sloppy lore bothers me. :(

Edit: I'm not saying the female design is crappy, it does look cool. I just think that design is all wrong for a new race due to how repetitive it feels with Night Elves (which tend to often be the "face" of WoW as is.)

Oh man. So like, I quit the game a bit ago. Back in March or so. Not for any particular reason, just I had switched CC and never changed the account info for WoW and when time expired I didn't care enough to renew.

Then about week ago my little brother starts staying with me and I give him free reign over my gaming PC. I go to use it for the first time tonight and find that little WoW PTR icon had managed to climb onto the frequently used tab. Turns out that you can still play on the PTR even without an active account.

I load it for the hell of it and make a new character and I've never one to make any addiction references to MMOs, but damn if I don't feel like I just had my first drag in months. Say what you want about the wasted potential of the raid design, about the faction imbalances, about the assinine Community relations, about the insufferable playerbase, and about the obscene timesink of just about anything post 60; WoW - from the first level till the last - is one of the best games ever created.

pxeleyes owned. Although, it's unlikely that Windfury Totem is responsible for Shamans being destroying him, so I'm still wondering why he was so satisfied with it getting a nerf.

pxleyes

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
pxeleyes owned. Although, it's unlikely that Windfury Totem is responsible for Shamans being destroying him, so I'm still wondering why he was so satisfied with it getting a nerf.

how exactly am I owned. I reported the reversal of the change long ago. Way to read the thread. Everything you just asked was explained too. Get over it, everyone else has.

"I reported the reversal of the change long ago. Way to read the thread. Everything you just asked was explained too. Get over it, everyone else has."

I hadn't got to kick you while you were down yet. And Blizzard backing up (in so many words) what people were saying in this thread is pretty funny.

Ferrio

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
I heard Blizzard also made a post about the Thunderfury changes comfirming that they are permanent. Can anyone find me a link?

It is. Was in the test realm forum, blue said it was intended. Yay for me.

pxleyes

Banned
Teknopathetic said:
"I reported the reversal of the change long ago. Way to read the thread. Everything you just asked was explained too. Get over it, everyone else has."

I hadn't got to kick you while you were down yet. And Blizzard backing up (in so many words) what people were saying in this thread is pretty funny.

They also stated that they still aren't happy with it in general, and with burst damage like that, so expect a change at some point (just in a different form).

Ryu

My bet is the totems will be raid wide soon. If they go that route and then nerf it along with making tranquil air another element totem as well as being raid wide, the change may not be as bad. I'd prefer they also make it to where it can stack with both poisons and sharpening stones however.

Hero

Well, I achieved Commander rank finally.

And now, I don't know what to do in the game. I'm not really that into raiding. And there's no way I'm putting up with the time sink involved with the higher ranks.

Think I might quit till the expansion, as Blizzard has finally shown that they don't know jack shit with how to encourage world PVP. It was promised in 1.12 but all they did was give us stupid QUESTS to kill other people to get sand so we can get a BUFF to increase our REPUTATION gain.

So for PVPing they want to reward us with a PVE buff? Wow, that's so lame and not even worth my ****ing time. GG Blizzard.

Looking for a FFA PVP MMORPG.

fallout

Ryu said:
My bet is the totems will be raid wide soon. If they go that route and then nerf it along with making tranquil air another element totem as well as being raid wide, the change may not be as bad. I'd prefer they also make it to where it can stack with both poisons and sharpening stones however.
Honestly, if they just gave me a totem UI, I'd probably send them a gift basket at this point.

"Looking for a FFA PVP MMORPG."

I'm only sticking with WoW until Pirates of the Burning Sea comes out. WoW's been good to me, but it's looking long in the tooth and it's time I put 'er down.

Hero

Teknopathetic said:
"Looking for a FFA PVP MMORPG."

I'm only sticking with WoW until Pirates of the Burning Sea comes out. WoW's been good to me, but it's looking long in the tooth and it's time I put 'er down.

I'm interested in this Darkfall game that's supposed to go beta soon.

I don't know, I just feel WoW is too casual oriented now. It's either you raid, or you pvp. There is nothing else to really do in the game. In that aspect, I think this game fails.

In Ultima Online, the social aspect of the game was one of the greatest points.

Also, player housing was one of the coolest things ever in that game. I loved just exploring the land and checking out other houses and seeing how they decorated it or what their vendors sold.

There was something with the thrill of UO of going out and exploring new places. A sense of excitement when you saw someone else out in the middle of nowhere. Where they friend or foe? Would they backstab you or steal one of your coveted item drops?

I would love to play the UO of 98-99 again.

Hero said:
I'm interested in this Darkfall game that's supposed to go beta soon.

I got alot of guildies who quit WoW a year ago in anticipation of that. They're still waiting. Sad how they can't seem to get their act together with that and get it out the door.

Back to WoW, summertime has hit BoF hard; we're having to take bosses down with ~30 and 20 man is just whoever on we got. 6 Rogues in AQ20? Got no choice... My vacation's in 4 weeks, so I get to be the guy outside for more than one day or two again.

NME

Now, I've only played WoW at any length when it comes to MMOs, so I understand that I'm completely ignorant when I ask the following:

What most people expect out of an MMORPG end game?

I understand that with WoW you can run the 20-40 man raids and/or do the PVP instances until your eyes bleed (assuming you want to really rank high), but since WoW is basically the only MMO I've ever played I don't even know what I am missing.

What sort of end game activities have you all come to expect from MMOs?

(I actually forgot that I did play FFXI for several months. Never sniffed the end game, though).

tehjaybo

Anyone else getting big guild / server drama due to server transfers? Magtheridon realm forums are blowing up because all the good horde and alliance are transferring. Unforgiven [One of three top alliance guilds] is transferring their entire guild over the weekend. Some of the most memorable names on horde side [Joho, server first HWL, Fafiner, leader of second biggest horde guild, Exiled]. They're all transferring for greener fields. Anyone else have any comments on this stuff?

pxleyes

Banned
tehjaybo said:
Anyone else getting big guild / server drama due to server transfers? Magtheridon realm forums are blowing up because all the good horde and alliance are transferring. Unforgiven [One of three top alliance guilds] is transferring their entire guild over the weekend. Some of the most memorable names on horde side [Joho, server first HWL, Fafiner, leader of second biggest horde guild, Exiled]. They're all transferring for greener fields. Anyone else have any comments on this stuff?

yep.

My server, Gorefiend (one of the originals), is getting pretty stagnent. The guild I am in went through a lot of drama recently, and rebuilding is seemingly impossible. There just aren't enough resources out there on my server to build another high-end end-game guild. I amy just jump ship soon to another guild while I have the chance.

I think some of these issues have to do with the size of the servers. I know that Blizzard likes to spread around their population, but I think they are spreading it too thin. The number of GOOD players per server is such that it only allows for a few elite guilds and the rest are left fending for the scraps.

Ferrio

Banned
Well I've made a decision. Going back daggers.... er dagger. Going to mainhand a dagger and offhand Thunderfury.

Now to get a PB or Dragonfang blade... god damned now I'm pissed that I've seen so many of those go to shitty rogues... and that I've given 3 backstab books away and Haven't used one myself.

Tamanon

Banned
tehjaybo said:

Not really on Silvermoon, not many people have left, if anything, people are bringing their other 60s over, hah.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
It's true, the screenshots contained in that article prove it.

I think everyone had this idea as an out-there "wouldn't it be funny if", but I don't think anyone actually thought it would be HAPPENING. I'm stunned.

I don't really like the idea, personally. I liked the factions having unique classes :(

Tamanon

Banned
I wonder if the threat reducers from both classes would stack;P

Yeah I can't see TOO many shammies in alliance raids, maybe 1 or 2 at most for Windfury totems. That'd be it, might screw up the loot lists now though

explodet

Yeah, the loot tables will be all messed up at the start of the expansion - imagine all the shaman loot that will drop that will go to hunters by default because there aren't any shamans in the raid yet. Or if they only bring 1 and that guy gets all the shaman loot that drops by default.

If threat reducers do stack, I think it'll be a 44% aggro reduction - that's just nuts.

This move makes sense from a balance standpoint, and I'm hoping - I'm HOPING - that people will realize a shaman can still contribute a lot to a raid, and especially if he's backed up with paladin buffs.

Oh, and PVP is going to be scary.

pxleyes

Banned
Wow....thats quite a change, and I dont know if I like it.

Ought to be interesting how they retro-actively change the dungeons to accomodate the changes outside of the loot tables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom