• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does TBC have to come out the day before my last exams. Curses. On the bright side 2 weeks b4 back to uni to get extra fat playing. HUZZAH!

Does anyone have an idea when the expansion content goes live? I was planning on getting the game at midnight EST on the 16th but I'm gonna be pretty peeved if the content doesn't go live until AFTER the weekly maintenance next Tuesday.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Azwethinkweiz said:
Does anyone have an idea when the expansion content goes live? I was planning on getting the game at midnight EST on the 16th but I'm gonna be pretty peeved if the content doesn't go live until AFTER the weekly maintenance next Tuesday.
Pretty sure the expansion servers won't go live till after the maintenance, since the only way to actually get into Outlands is by Azeroth.. and since Azeroth will be down, well..

My local EB are entertaining the idea of doing a midnight launch for it and said that I should come down for it. I said to them that I am not going to take my sorry arse out to pick up a game that I should be playing when I get back home, when in fact I wouldn't be able to for 4 hours after it. Besides.. I'd rather sleep-in on my days off.

border

I love how they announced that they were switching away from Weekly Maintenance, but still every week they put up a notice that says they will be going down for maintenance for 6 hours on Tuesdays.

It'd be pointless to try to get the game and get in as early as possible. Everyone know the entirety of WoW will be crashing on an hourly basis for at least the first 4 days.

Mareg

Azwethinkweiz said:

Sorry to break your bubble, but I don't have any hope of the game being playable at all in the whole week of BC release. I don't even expect the WOW web site to be up.

If I can play the game after the 23th maintenance, I'll be impressed.

edit : beaten jeez.

border

The reason to be there on launch day is so that you can grab the Collector's Edition. That way you have a DVD to watch and music to listen to while you wait in queues (as if the servers will even be functional enough to have queues). It'll suck, but it's less frustrating than getting the regular edition and having absolutely nothing to show for it until week(s) later.

That's why I wanted the game at midnight EST. I'd have a headstart and maybe get an hour or so of playtime in until most of the country got the game and brought it to its knees.

madara

Would an SLI setup be overkill for this game? Going to be ordering parts wednesday and toying with the idea of two 8800 GTS cards and 680i MB but dont see myself using PC much this year other then WoW or mmorpg.

madara said:
Would an SLI setup be overkill for this game? Going to be ordering parts wednesday and toying with the idea of two 8800 GTS cards and 680i MB but dont see myself using PC much this year other then WoW or mmorpg.

My 6800 handles the game all on high great..

nataku

border said:
The reason to be there on launch day is so that you can grab the Collector's Edition. That way you have a DVD to watch and music to listen to while you wait in queues (as if the servers will even be functional enough to have queues). It'll suck, but it's less frustrating than getting the regular edition and having absolutely nothing to show for it until week(s) later.

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that the collectors edition is $30 more than the regular edition?

Mareg

Oni Link 666 said:
WoW doesn't need the most kick-ass graphics card. It just needs a lot of RAM.

I run the most shitiest computer of the last-last gen with a bad graphic card, but I have 1gig of ram. WOW am saved. Everything is pretty much maxed out at 25-60fps.

Alex

My computer isn't too great. It's a couple years old, and was hardly top of the line when I got it. A gig of ram, a 3ghz p4, a radeon 9800, still runs WoW completely maxed out at a good res at 30-60 FPS.

In related news, warrior Tier 6 looks so badass that I want to lvl one to 70 and attune him just so I can look awesome.

taurenm.jpg

undead.jpg

Azwethinkweiz said:
In related news, warrior Tier 6 looks so badass that I want to lvl one to 70 and attune him just so I can look awesome.

taurenm.jpg

undead.jpg

Disgaea 2's Heavy Armor, heh.

art-039.jpg

I burned some personal time (shush, it disappears in February if I don't take it) that start on the Thursday afterwards. From then on, I have a plan involving going Shadow, a certain spot in EPL mixed with healing guild Hellfire Ramparts runs. Once I ding 62, it's strict Outlands, and 66 is going back Holy/Disc once freed up talent points allows me to take 7 in Shadow for Spirit Tap and Imp. SW:p.

firex

wow, now I'm really glad I dropped my lock for being overpowered for a paladin.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=62082150&sid=1&pageNo=1

Apparently lock DOTs get specifically nerfed (just corruption and CoA) while SWP isn't changed. And it's a straight up nerf, not even a return to pre-2.0 levels. Pretty retarded considering how overpowered hunters, rogues, and even mages are in the expansion, but the buff was retardedly overpowered too. I mean in expansion beta, I could walk into same level camps and kill 3-4 mobs with 3-4 DOTs each and run 0 risk of dying, and that was without using instant howl of terror. That may just be more related to how overpowered about +500 damage, fel armor, and siphon life + drain life on my main target are, though.

Also, I've been playing a low level warrior a little bit, and maybe the rage normalization blows at 60 or something, or just compared to being overpowered with raid/pvp epics, but my rage generation isn't bad. Again, I'm just level 25 on this guy, but my 41 warrior on my main server isn't bad either. The 41 point arms talent sucks, and the 41 point fury talent needs a little fixing, and they should just do away with tactical mastery as a talent and make it a trained skill, instead of the half-assed stance mastery, but those are my only complaints. And it may not rock in pvp, but the Rend buff is decent if you're a 2h warrior. It makes misses a lot more bearable. And despite going arms, I'm DWing because quite frankly I don't have a good 2h and I've got Wingblade and another quested green sword in my offhand. But nevertheless, at least leveling up, warriors aren't ruined like all the crying would make you think.

Still, I'm glad I'm making a pally and probably going to focus on pally/shaman in the expansion. The only thing I may do with my warlock is level him to 70, transfer to a new account, unlearn his talents and then ebay for a quick profit (or possibly even trade him to someone like IGE for a shitload of gold. I could probably make like 8k or 10k gold). But that's if I don't get caught up in the awesomeness of BE paladins.

speedpop

Looks like that patch I told everyone not to bother about, since it'd be shipped with Burning Crusade, is going live tonight with the server maintainence.

Stealth Blizz patch update? I'm guessing it has more to do with the Dark Portal than anything else.

Patches notes say that a few things are happening at the Dark Portal so I suppose I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Players need to be lvl 58 to pass through the Dark Portal. All Druids and Rogues have had their talent points refunded. Earth Shock doesn't cause threat, Frost Shock now does. Crusader, Icy Chill and Lifestealing Enchant now decrease in potency from wielders above lvl 60.

Hrmm nothing much more important, I can't copy and paste from the patch update notes for some reason.

Hero

Wow, warlocks just got hit by the nerf bat pretty hard. Don't understand why SW:p is gonna be stronger than Corruption or CoA though. Oh well, guess it's back to Demonology spec for me.

Also, since I'm Alliance and plan on rolling a shaman with the new race, can anyone point me towards a leveling guide for shamans? From what I've heard Enhancement is pretty much the way to go, but any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

border

I'm not following and don't feel like reading all the whining -- is the bonus from +Damage gear being nerfed on Corruption and CoA, or just the base damage? Or is it both?

=W=

oh jeez, i can't decide if i want to stay with my current mutilate build which i love so very much, or dip into shadowstepping. i don't really want to have to go back to a sword/hemo build, but it just looks like so much fun.

speedpop

Hero said:
Also, since I'm Alliance and plan on rolling a shaman with the new race, can anyone point me towards a leveling guide for shamans? From what I've heard Enhancement is pretty much the way to go, but any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Enhancement is your first priority, easiest levelling merely because you're just meleeing plus throwing in the occasional shock/heal. I'd imagine you'd be levelling up First Aid as well, which means less mana on the heals = faster levelling pace.

Not really sure about Alliance grinding.. but as a Horde Shaman I did Barrens > 1K Needles > Shimmering Flats > Tanaris/Feralas (depending on the ganking in the zone) > Hinterlands > WPL > Winterspring. This was on a PVP server mind you..

Mareg

speedpop said:
Looks like that patch I told everyone not to bother about, since it'd be shipped with Burning Crusade, is going live tonight with the server maintainence.

Stealth Blizz patch update? I'm guessing it has more to do with the Dark Portal than anything else.

Patches notes say that a few things are happening at the Dark Portal so I suppose I'll check it out tomorrow morning. Players need to be lvl 58 to pass through the Dark Portal. All Druids and Rogues have had their talent points refunded. Earth Shock doesn't cause threat, Frost Shock now does. Crusader, Icy Chill and Lifestealing Enchant now decrease in potency from wielders above lvl 60.

Hrmm nothing much more important, I can't copy and paste from the patch update notes for some reason.

Can you give me a link to patch notes other then Bliz site ? Or does anyone else care to put them here thanks.

fallout

Hero said:
Learn to heal, and learn to conserve your mana. Shamans have the smallest base mana pool in the game, so keep that in mind. It'll really help you when you get to higher levels. If I knew of a levelling guide to point you to, I would.

Azwethinkweiz said:
So I guess the dark portal stuff is being added today, meaning as soon as I get the xpac next Tuesday I can start my grinding.
Assuming the servers don't catch fire ... which they probably will. Also, why the rush?

Hero said:
Wow, warlocks just got hit by the nerf bat pretty hard. Don't understand why SW:p is gonna be stronger than Corruption or CoA though. Oh well, guess it's back to Demonology spec for me.

Ahh shamans.. Learn to heal or no ones going to want you. Thats basically all thats for shamans. They're like sub-priests.

fallout

DarkAngelYuna said:
Ahh shamans.. Learn to heal or no ones going to want you. Thats basically all thats for shamans. They're like sub-priests.
In full +spell dmg gear with the proper spec, I can be extremely deadly. I never had to heal in an instance, but I did, thus making the main healer's job easier and giving me a good reputation. The idea is, is that your versatile. If you're not needed for secondary healing, blow your mana on extra dps.

fallout said:
Assuming the servers don't catch fire ... which they probably will. Also, why the rush?

If I can score the game at midnight EST on the 16th I'll have peace and quiet leveling for an hour or so before most of the country gets the game and tanks the servers. That's why I'm in a rush.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
madara said:

basically if you got that set up you would be able to do a 200 person raid with spell effects all over the place and tons of mobs and environment objects around, at max settings without going below like 30 fps...yeah its over kill but since its an MMORPG the requirements change every second with the change of location and camera view. I guess you'd have to be really anal and never want it to drop below 30fps under extreme conditions and want your fps to be like 80-120 and beyond all the time in more sane conditions like a 40 man raid or so. Im sure one 8800 would be more than enough.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
fallout said:
Learn to heal, and learn to conserve your mana. Shamans have the smallest base mana pool in the game, so keep that in mind. It'll really help you when you get to higher levels. If I knew of a levelling guide to point you to, I would.

lol shamans base mana pool is lower than a hunters? Thats ridiculous ...and almost hard to believe.

explodet

Pfft, I'm 41 enhancement - rogues and fury warriors love me! (+10% AP for my party every time I melee crit)
Only them though, everyone else wishes I wasn't such a noob. :D

fallout

Azwethinkweiz said:
If I can score the game at midnight EST on the 16th I'll have peace and quiet leveling for an hour or so before most of the country gets the game and tanks the servers. That's why I'm in a rush.
I meant why the rush to get to 70?

Hero said:
I refuse to heal anyone other than myself.
Please, tell all your alliance shaman buddies to do the same. Thanks. It'll really help you guys out in PvP because shamans can kill an entire raid on their own. In fact, in TBC, all battles will just come down to shamans v. shamans. I think they're even going to call the next expansion The Shaman Crusade. Yep, there's no reason why a shaman should ever have to heal anyone else.

DonasaurusRex said:
lol shamans base mana pool is lower than a hunters? Thats ridiculous ...and almost hard to believe.
*rubs forhead*

I meant for casters. I'm sorry that I don't include hunters in that bubble. Apologies, I didn't mean to offend the mighty class of hunters, again.

Azeroth is under attack! Horrific creatures are swarming from a suddenly active Dark Portal and have rampaged into the Blasted Lands. Defenders from Nethergarde Keep have scrambled to meet the enemy head-on. However, even with the assistance of reinforcements from the ever-vigilant Argent Dawn, the forces of Azeroth need your help!

Not much is known of the invasion at this early stage, but early reports from the battlefront describe wave after wave of demonic attackers charging from the Dark Portal. It is also reported that Lord Kazzak was seen departing through the Dark Portal. In his stead he has left his minion, Highlord Kruul, to sow fear and confusion among the defenders.

Accompanied by a host of infernals, Kruul has been seen near a number of major cities in Azeroth, along with the following outdoor areas:

o Hinterlands
o Eastern Plaguelands
o Winterspring
o Stranglethorn Vale
o Azshara
o Silithus
o Searing Gorge

Not even the elite forces of the Argent Dawn have dared attack Kruul directly. Only a large and well-coordinated group of adventurers might stand a chance of defeating him.

So anyone know anything about this Kruul? Is he going to drop items or give rep or anything?

The warlock nerf is a 25% reduction on the +dmg coefficient of curse of agony (160% to 120%) and 22.5% (120% to 93%) on the coefficient of corruption. Blizzard made the DoT coefficient changes because of the greatly increased stamina at level 70 then nerfed us because we were overpowered at level 60 (we were). These are special cases, all other DoTs keep the new coefficients. Scaling nerf! Whee!

I'm going back to running SM on my paladin and trying not to think about how ****ing retarded it all is.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
fallout said:
I meant why the rush to get to 70?

Please, tell all your alliance shaman buddies to do the same. Thanks. It'll really help you guys out in PvP because shamans can kill an entire raid on their own. In fact, in TBC, all battles will just come down to shamans v. shamans. I think they're even going to call the next expansion The Shaman Crusade. Yep, there's no reason why a shaman should ever have to heal anyone else.

*rubs forhead*

I meant for casters. I'm sorry that I don't include hunters in that bubble. Apologies, I didn't mean to offend the mighty class of hunters, again.

ohhhh, well yeah you are forgiven :D , but really now, shamans are a hybrid class , i guess you can play them as pure casters but they have .. nerfed melee, windfury isnt raping me nearly as much these days, just isnt proccing as much or maybe shamans have abandoned it after the nerf. Fear not bloodlust comes in the expansion...i think, so that should help.

madara

Ah more new servers added and finally a rp one! Moon Guard maybe home depending on if they add anymore in the next 7 days. Wish it was more then just my friend, new to mmorpgs, and myself so far. I doubt we could do dungeon instances in timely manner, we may have to rely on those scary pickup groups. I warned him about wow players but his first day leveling a character to 8 was quite shocking for him. He actually never heard word gay used as negative before.

I guess there is still chance we will befriend few mature adult player like old eq days but I wish we setup some type of like minded guild in time. Having to see blood elves running with anime names like Inuyasha is painful enough without having to try group with them. :lol

fallout

DonasaurusRex said:
ohhhh, well yeah you are forgiven :D , but really now, shamans are a hybrid class , i guess you can play them as pure casters but they have .. nerfed melee, windfury isnt raping me nearly as much these days, just isnt proccing as much or maybe shamans have abandoned it after the nerf. Fear not bloodlust comes in the expansion...i think, so that should help.
Actually, elemental has always been the highest DPS build of a shaman (or at least, it was until the big 41-point patch). Windfury was just huge on the burst DPS, which scared people a lot. I don't think it's necessarily been given up on, but I think most shamans switched to resto because earthshield is just that amazing.

I might go back to enhancement for levelling in TBC, but since I'll be grouping with my guild for worldwide PvP madness, I may just stick with the resto build.

firex

Bloodlust and the summon totems are garbage. Well, ok, the fire summon totem isn't bad, but it's not deserving of a 20 minute cooldown. Bloodlust is like old school death coil - if they reduced the cooldown from 10 minutes to 2, it would be a much better spell.

fallout

Oh god, Blasted Lands is a ****ing warzone. Huge battle at the Dark Portal, little skirmishes everywhere. And to top it all off, all our raid UIs are messed up.

So, my rogue went back to 21/0/30 (no more cloak of shadows) :(, I'm thinking of putting my warlock at 19/0/32 or 17/0/34 using NF/Conflag to grind to 70.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom