• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

theres no sockets on anything prior to 60+ content, right?

I'm trying to think of a profession to take, any opinions based on the revisions/additions/new ones?

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm level 30 and my gf wants to start playing with me, what is the best way to power level her up to me?

Can't wait to jump into TBC, but I need someone to play with.

"I'm level 30 and my gf wants to start playing with me, what is the best way to power level her up to me?

Can't wait to jump into TBC, but I need someone to play with."

*wave* you bastard!

Best way to power level would be to find a place with a lot of quests that require you to kill mobs in a small area and just burn through all of them at the same time. Horde side, the Barrens and Tarren Mill combined will easily get you to 30 doing this.

Wellington said:
I'm level 30 and my gf wants to start playing with me, what is the best way to power level her up to me?

Can't wait to jump into TBC, but I need someone to play with.

Junk the level 30 guy and start over with a Blood Elf or Draenei.

I suggest the Area 52 server cause it has a cool name :).

Alex

Does anyone have any opinions on setting script memory for addons?

Awhile back, I decided I'd stop relying on them (addons) so much, especially since Blizzard pretty much patched in everything I really wanted in a basic UI. This might change when my Priest is up to end game again, or I learn the ropes some more, we'll have to wait and see there.

Now, with that being taken further, I can't think of any addon I'd use (except for maybe a different unit frame, unelss they fixed them and they now show all debuffs in a raid?) except for my Clearfont mod, which I *must* have. WoW font sucks.

I can't assume it takes up much memory... 128 just seems pretty ridiculous for a font pack, I'm just curious on what to set it to.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
On my race up to lvl 30 I usually do the starter quests till lvl 12 then head to Barrens, dip into a bit of Stonetalon, go back to south Barrens then finish up at Thousand Needles killing those centaur. Usually by then you can head into Shimmering Flats at 30.

Alex

Teknopathetic said:
I set mine to 32, I've seen some people go up to about 48~, and that seems to be the absolute max you should ever need.

Hm, maybe ill put mine at like...16, until I start using real addons again. Thanks for the advice.

I have a gig, but I need more ram, at least I have my PC trim to the point where I boot up with like 820 of it though, stupid ram eating OS. I need a new video card too.

Sirpopopop said:
Junk the level 30 guy and start over with a Blood Elf or Draenei.

I suggest the Area 52 server cause it has a cool name :).

are you ally or horde?

also I rolled a draeni war and mage and looks like ill be leveling the mage (and my warlock) because im reading the forums and while yes they always bitch about everything the warrior class really seems down on its luck now.

I dont understand why armor doesnt mitigate spells at all, to me it just seems stupid to think that this big chunk of metal guy gets hit by an ice bolt and its like he wasnt weaing any armor?

maybe some warriors can chime in here, but it seems if you want to pvp and pve what is the class to have warlock? mage?(group pvp)

and druids seem to be very strong now also compared to war, or is it one of those things that by the time you get to 60 you will rock again (like how warlocks used to be awful, now they arnt etc etc)?

border said:
Has anyone found the Horde-side trainers for cooking and fishing yet?

Cooking is from the inn in Thrallmar. Fishing from the fisher in CE I think. They are all books, so check what they are selling not what they train.

ZombieSupaStar said:
are you ally or horde?

also I rolled a draeni war and mage and looks like ill be leveling the mage (and my warlock) because im reading the forums and while yes they always bitch about everything the warrior class really seems down on its luck now.

I dont understand why armor doesnt mitigate spells at all, to me it just seems stupid to think that this big chunk of metal guy gets hit by an ice bolt and its like he wasnt weaing any armor?

maybe some warriors can chime in here, but it seems if you want to pvp and pve what is the class to have warlock? mage?(group pvp)

and druids seem to be very strong now also compared to war, or is it one of those things that by the time you get to 60 you will rock again (like how warlocks used to be awful, now they arnt etc etc)?

Druids are ****ing absurd now. They have like 4 ****ing stuns and entangle and Mangle can hit for like 1500+ against mail in ****ing bear form. The same bear form with at least 50% more hp and armor than you have regardless of what class you are.

firex

The warrior whining is a bit overdone in my experience. They were the #1 overpowered class for almost 2 years, so now that they're a bit more normal I don't think most warriors (especially raid geared warriors) quite realize what it's like to be more balanced. And this expansion is focused more around prot warriors anyway, where they're still the best tanks. The reality of it is now warrior specs make a bigger difference in the class than before, and other classes can rival them for DPS or tank. So they no longer have a monopoly on tanking, and they aren't going to be a #3 DPS class unless their gear is better. But they'll still probably be #5 DPS overall.

Druids are definitely crazy. Balance spec isn't all that great for DPS compared to feral, but the irony of it is if you go heavy into it and then a bit into resto, you're still a really good healer because of all the regen you get and the lowered mana costs on a few heals. Plus, you don't have to carry around as much gear as a feral druid. I'm really thinking after I get my paladin to 70 and gear him up a bit, I may just get a druid to 70 and go balance/resto.

madara

So how does Power leveling work with WoW? Coming from EQ with all its blocks I have no idea. Can a level 15 priest just group with level 1 friend and he gets full exp? Can I do more then just heal him and actually kill his quest monsters too while he gets single mob exp hits?

firex said:
The warrior whining is a bit overdone in my experience. They were the #1 overpowered class for almost 2 years, so now that they're a bit more normal I don't think most warriors (especially raid geared warriors) quite realize what it's like to be more balanced. And this expansion is focused more around prot warriors anyway, where they're still the best tanks. The reality of it is now warrior specs make a bigger difference in the class than before, and other classes can rival them for DPS or tank. So they no longer have a monopoly on tanking, and they aren't going to be a #3 DPS class unless their gear is better. But they'll still probably be #5 DPS overall.

Druids are definitely crazy. Balance spec isn't all that great for DPS compared to feral, but the irony of it is if you go heavy into it and then a bit into resto, you're still a really good healer because of all the regen you get and the lowered mana costs on a few heals. Plus, you don't have to carry around as much gear as a feral druid. I'm really thinking after I get my paladin to 70 and gear him up a bit, I may just get a druid to 70 and go balance/resto.

so what should a warrior do then?

Im currently leveling a mage, lock and warrior (i want nothing todo with anything healing anymore)

Im guessing fury spec is the best build for a warrior in leveling/pvp/dps
and that a prot spec is best for endgame raids now? I Keep hearing how prot specs are mitigating too much damage so they have less rage, and are actually not wearing their best epics in the tbc to get more rage generation for aggro control?

I never rolled a druid because it basically said on its wow page its a good at everything master at none, however now it seems with the right specs u could basically have a leveled warrior/healer/rogue all for the cost of respecs

firex

I don't have a 60 warrior, so it's possible that 60s with raid gear are nerfed compared to how they used to be. But grinding? I've been fine doing that with arms or fury after 2.0 but before the expansion. Fury's definitely a faster grinding build, but even arms works great. The real key is dual wielding vs. 2h. Before you get MS, IMO a 2h doesn't matter that much. That's why I was grinding with DW on my arms warrior. I'm just going by personal experience, because the WoW warrior forums and like every single 60 warrior whines to no end about how much they suck, how they're nerfed and terrible, etc. when they would never admit that they were the overpowered gods of WoW for close to 2 years.

The only class I really feel sucks is shamans, and they're still ok. They do decent damage, but in honesty their only really good talent tree is the resto tree, and their new expansion skills suck.

If you want to make a druid, just bear in mind that if you're serious about raiding, they don't seem to have enough mitigation options to tank raids, so you'll essentially be about 75% of a rogue in catform, and still be expected to heal for most stuff. Bear druids are fine for 5 mans, and I think even for stuff like Karazahn, though.

Personally, I say just stick with what you're having fun playing. I wouldn't pick a class that isn't as fun just to get more groups.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
madara said:
So how does Power leveling work with WoW? Coming from EQ with all its blocks I have no idea. Can a level 15 priest just group with level 1 friend and he gets full exp? Can I do more then just heal him and actually kill his quest monsters too while he gets single mob exp hits?

When you fight an enemy, it'll be tagged at one point because you've done enough damage, you'll get the XP and loot no matter what happens from that moment, and since anyone with any level can attack what you're fighting, you can basicly have 30 high levels killing shit for you, as long as you tagged it.

ManaByte

Azwethinkweiz said:
Gayest thing about TBC = no rest XP in Shattrath. WTF Blizzard!

Shattrath seems to have rest XP on some servers, but not others. I know on Feathermoon it works, but on Thunderlord it doesn't.

Tamanon

Banned
Yeah I'm always logged out in Shattrath and get rest XP.

Did my first run of The Underbog. Damn fun instance. Although the triple Fen Ray pulls were a bitch. Non-CCable, fearing mobs are great! We made it through with a warrior, druid, rogue, hunter and myself the mage. Picked up a couple good cloth socketed items, but it was good for Cenarion Rep too. Final boss was awesome.

Zaptruder

Banned
firex said:

On the topic of DPS classes... who's at the top? How's the rankings go?

I guess it depends on the situation.

firex

Rogues, I'd definitely put them at #1. #2 is probably hunters or mages. Mages can do some really good burst now with frost talents and ice lance, even though it's kind of situational, while hunters just do a lot of damage that's really easy to sustain.

xabre

Banned
I specced full feral (used to be hybrid feral/resto), doing some awesome damage these days and fvck do I love this new maim talent.

Mute

Banned
Just finished every quest in Zangarmarsh, but I'm still 63. Going to wait until tomorrow and try and run Underbog or Slave Pens a few times to get a level before I move on. I tried Underbog once and wiped twice on the first boss. Shit is more difficult than I thought it would be. I don't see too many pugs going anywhere anytime soon.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Where would you put DPS spec shamans on that list? Since alliance just got shamans and I was thinking of re rolling as one... All i have is a 60 priest and a 40 druid... I talked to someone and they said once you hit 30 the dps possibilities of the shaman are really impressive... Just wanting to know from more reliable source.

Tamanon

Banned
Mute said:
Just finished every quest in Zangarmarsh, but I'm still 63. Going to wait until tomorrow and try and run Underbog or Slave Pens a few times to get a level before I move on. I tried Underbog once and wiped twice on the first boss. Shit is more difficult than I thought it would be. I don't see too many pugs going anywhere anytime soon.

Underbog's bosses actually require more than tank n'spank, so some pugs will be tougher.

At 63, you could also be in Terokkar forest outside of Shattrath. Once you hit 64, you can stay there or move onto Nagrand, one of the coolest looking zones in the game. Plus it's got Nesingwary again:)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
vumpler said:
Where would you put DPS spec shamans on that list?
I'd put a dual-wielding Shaman in the top 3 at least, especially if they have the right gear. They'd get spanked in PVP but seem to be doing their job good in PVE, but you can really tell what good gear a Shaman has on merely by how quickly the mobs fall.

I actually respec'd back to the classic Elemental/Restoration Shaman spec now that I can get Nature's Swiftness at lvl 61. Had a little world PVP skirmish in Zangarmarsh to test it out properly and it does it's job good. No huge 1500+ crit chain lightnings, highest I've gotten so far is 1350 but good enough I suppose.. but still some decent nuking burst damage.

madara

Blue Screen of death 8800 video card error #2 :( Orgrimmar near the Battlemasters I think). Cry

I stopped leveling at ten waiting for my friend log in this monday so I went exploring. While getting herbs( always by nasty monsters, thank you blizzard!) and mapping out some horde lands I am now level 14! Oh noes, how did that happen :lol

border

Is there any particular strategy that works on the dragon-rider boss in Hellfire Ramparts? I've been there twice, and both times the groups just get stomped.

I can get aggro on the dragon quick enough and have around 110FR, but it seems like the healers just can't keep me up. Maybe it's just the case of a couple unfortunate crits or something.

Do you have to beat Ramparts before you can go to Blood Furnace? Haven't checked it out, but it looked like there was a gate blocking the instance...

Tamanon

Banned
You don't have to beat Ramparts to go to Blood Furnace. You just have to beat the last boss to get a quest for furnace.

I dunno what to tell ya, we've never had a problem with the dragon.

Ramirez

The dragon boss is crazy with no fire gear,which neither me or my friend have any of because we never raided on our warriors,heh.But we were still able to kill the boss on our 2nd attempt with just our Pally friend as our healer...

When I did it with my guild, we had a druid tank with no FR and it wasn't a problem. It might just be undergeared people. Tank might've been wearing all greens or something.

And I saw the patch notes for the next minor patch (2.0.6) and hunters are getting railed with the nerf stick. I realize we're overpowered in pvp but we do the least amount of damage of any of the DPS classes in instances, so we're pretty much ****ed either way.

Up to Level 64 on my Paladin, and heading into Terrokar Forest to quest today. Crusader Aura ftw.

As far as instances go so far I've solo healed Ramparts, Blood Furnace, The Slave Pits and Underbog. As a Paladin it's quite a challenge but so far I've done it successfully. And my gear is only stuff from ZG, PvP, and quests in Outland.

yacobod

Banned
firex said:
The warrior whining is a bit overdone in my experience. They were the #1 overpowered class for almost 2 years, so now that they're a bit more normal I don't think most warriors (especially raid geared warriors) quite realize what it's like to be more balanced.

warriors with pocket healers were overpowered, and im sure they probably still are with good gear

fallout

Oh man. I was so close with the fishing tournament today. With everyone grinding out in The Outlands, hardly anyone was around. I think I saw one alliance mage off in the distance. So, I got my 40 after about 29 minutes, recalled to Booty Bay, went to go turn it in ... and missed out by about 3 seconds. Some alliance player was standing right. There.

Sigh. Ah well, next week maybe. Though I think that'll be harder since there'll be so many 70s running around.

Azwethinkweiz said:
When I did it with my guild, we had a druid tank with no FR and it wasn't a problem. It might just be undergeared people. Tank might've been wearing all greens or something.

And I saw the patch notes for the next minor patch (2.0.6) and hunters are getting railed with the nerf stick. I realize we're overpowered in pvp but we do the least amount of damage of any of the DPS classes in instances, so we're pretty much ****ed either way.

Honestly I don't see anything worrying at all. Nerf to arcane shot sucks, but was to be expected really. The changes to barrage and imp barrage are stupid and might as well not exist. Silencing change sucks but again, not really noticeable.

What gets me is just that. Aside from Arcane, the changes aren't noticeable. At all. They are just stupid.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
The hunter "nerf" isnt so bad, but blizzard just pretty much made the MM branch even more useless. BM's the way to go now.

Started to play yesterday, my hunter's lvl 17 now, having as much fun as i had on my other.

Since im new to PVP server, is there a way to know what zone has "true" pvp and the ones that have the faction in it protected? In the barrens, the alliance is still yellow, if i go to ashenvale, i guess thats where PVP starts?

fallout

Buggy Loop said:
Since im new to PVP server, is there a way to know what zone has "true" pvp and the ones that have the faction in it protected? In the barrens, the alliance is still yellow, if i go to ashenvale, i guess thats where PVP starts?
All 1-20 zones act like a PvE server. Horde side, that's:

Durotar, Mulgore, Tirisfal Glades, The Barrens, Silverpine Forest (and the new BE zones).

After that, anything goes.

border

firex said:
The warrior whining is a bit overdone in my experience. They were the #1 overpowered class for almost 2 years, so now that they're a bit more normal I don't think most warriors (especially raid geared warriors) quite realize what it's like to be more balanced.
Come on.....only raid-geared warriors ever approached a status that could be called "overpowered". For 1-59, you were shit. If you got to 60 and had some PVP blues and maybe a TUF, you were okay. Most of the people that played the class never even got to "overpowered" status in the first place, so I don't see how they really could have lost perspective. I don't even know what it was like to be overpowered since I never got there....yet the nerfs still annoy the hell out of me.

Warriors in blues can and did easily lose out to more poorly geared classes with crowd-control, so saying that they were the most overpowered class for 2 years is kind of absurd.

firex

And then you gave a warrior epics and they tore up ANYBODY in 3-4 hits. Pre-60 warriors still do tons of DPS too. Warriors were overpowered, period, because they could get 6k+ HP and deal as much DPS as rogues with about 2x-3x the armor.

The fact of the matter is with comparable gear for all classes, warriors were overpowered. Only a class that could completely shut them out of melee like a mage could stop them. Now they're a lot more balanced. They'll get a few buffs, but they're not as terrible as shamans.

fallout

vumpler said:
What's the best DPS shaman build?
Best DPS I've ever done is 30/0/21. I really haven't looked into it too much (since I'm addicted to the awesomeness that is the resto build), but here's a sample idea. There's room for improvement and ways to fit your playstyle.

firex

Just from my experience trying full elemental and full enhance builds in the beta, stay away from elemental. It's too weak. 0/40/21 is probably the best build overall at 70, but before then there's no reason not to go 0/41/x into resto.

Until they go rework elemental, which pretty much means a near-total overhaul of the talent tree, the better DPS builds are in enhancement.

Alex

So I was fiddling with settings earlier, and trying to see how I could keep my framerate at a solid rate with all the maxed out settings I wanted, and I turned off smooth mouse, which as far as I can tell does absolutely nothing for me and I gained about 10-15 FPS...

...Uh?

border

firex said:
The fact of the matter is with comparable gear for all classes, warriors were overpowered
Only if that comparable gear is "raid epics". Rogue-DPS and 5000HP were not possible to non-raiders.

firex said:
Pre-60 warriors still do tons of DPS too. Warriors were overpowered, period, because they could get 6k+ HP and deal as much DPS as rogues with about 2x-3x the armor.
I never got to 5K HP with the dungeon sets and blue PVP gear. I suppose I could have if I'd just bought a bunch of stupid "of Stamina" gear, but then I'd have zero DPS. Seeing as how armor is basically useless against any class besides rogues and other warriors, it's not as much of an advantage as you might think.

I have no recollection of being remotely "overpowered".....though fondly remember being kited to hell and back by hunters, chain feared/seduced by preists and locks, stunlocked 'till I was at 30% by rogues, uselessly flailing away at paladins as they healed themselves in their stupid bubble (then eating their ridiculous 5 second stun). The warrior is supposed to kill people in 3-4 hits because the rest of the time they are being stunned or crowd-controlled to death. Funny that you say only mages could shut them down, since that's the only class I felt I had any kind of advantage against. As long as your PVP trinket is up, they are toast after a couple hits.

fallout

firex said:
Just from my experience trying full elemental and full enhance builds in the beta, stay away from elemental. It's too weak. 0/40/21 is probably the best build overall at 70, but before then there's no reason not to go 0/41/x into resto.

Until they go rework elemental, which pretty much means a near-total overhaul of the talent tree, the better DPS builds are in enhancement.
Yeah, my experience is all pre-2.0.1. Like I said, I haven't even bothered to shift over. I considered going full enh, just because I haven't done enh in a long time, but I'm grouped most of the time, so resto complements that nicely.

Ripclawe

Banned
woo!

wowscrnshot0121072038576kv.jpg

lvl 63 dwarf with a dranei mount and dragonhawk.:)

border said:
Only if that comparable gear is "raid epics". Rogue-DPS and 5000HP were not possible to non-raiders.

I never got to 5K HP with the dungeon sets and blue PVP gear. I suppose I could have if I'd just bought a bunch of stupid "of Stamina" gear, but then I'd have zero DPS. Seeing as how armor is basically useless against any class besides rogues and other warriors, it's not as much of an advantage as you might think.

I have no recollection of being remotely "overpowered".....though fondly remember being kited to hell and back by hunters, chain feared/seduced by preists and locks, stunlocked 'till I was at 30% by rogues, uselessly flailing away at paladins as they healed themselves in their stupid bubble (then eating their ridiculous 5 second stun). The warrior is supposed to kill people in 3-4 hits because the rest of the time they are being stunned or crowd-controlled to death. Funny that you say only mages could shut them down, since that's the only class I felt I had any kind of advantage against. As long as your PVP trinket is up, they are toast after a couple hits.

The biggest problem with warriors was that no matter what your other gear is, if you've got a shitty weapon you are a shitty warrior. Once you upgrade to something shiny and purple you turn into a god. There's no real way around that. And because TUF was so damn easy to get, most warriors were gods.

border

Yet even with TUF and the blue PVP set, I never really felt "godly". I saw some big crits (never over 1000 unless it was an Execute), but there were a lot of times that I swung and missed....or only hit for a middling 350-400 HP. Not that big of a deal if I was a rogue, but you don't really get that many chances to hit somebody if your weapon speed is 3.8 and everybody and their mom has a CC or stun.

A good weapon goes a long way, but you have to have the Crit and Strength to really back it up. I got my Hellreaver just today, and only after combining that with some of the Outlands-blues/greens (equivalent to the Epics of yesteryear) does it feel like I'm getting any of the much-vaunted warrior "godliness". Should have 6000HP, 1000AP and 25% crit after I respec to Poleaxes.....stats like that used to be near-impossible without a set of epic armor, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom