• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

akascream

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
So, even good guilds play absolutely retarded just because they're on a pvp server? Your circle of people "worth playing with" would all of the suddent not be worth playing with if they were on a pvp server? Come on.

Yes, that is exactly what I said. In reality, it's more like non-pvp servers attract the type of people that are interested in PvE.. completely strange, I know. Truth be told.. I like the pvp server ruleset better concerning contested territory. I think it should have been the default ruleset.. but when you make the distinction, you seperate your userbase into people that are good at pvp and those good at pve. I was suprised how clear a line it was too. I'm not saying there aren't good pvp guilds out there.. I'm saying its much easier to find groupable teamates on the pve servers. MUCH easier.

Your problem has everything to do with people being able to do nothing but solo. Not what rule set the server is under.

I think this discourages group play, yes. But I think Blizz has maintained a good balance. Like I said.. I don't have issues grouping with my pve toons.

And FYI, if a player knows what they're doing talent wise... You can be viable in both pve and pvp content.

This is true for some classes more than others. Even a warrior should be able to tank with a pvp build according to blizz. But it's not exactly like people interested in pvp really have a clue when it comes to team play anyway.

But thanks for the information heh.

akascream said:
Yes, that is exactly what I said. In reality, it's more like non-pvp servers attract the type of people that are interested in PvE.. completely strange, I know. Truth be told.. I like the pvp server ruleset better concerning contested territory. I think it should have been the default ruleset.. but when you make the distinction, you seperate your userbase into people that are good at pvp and those good at pve. I was suprised how clear a line it was too. I'm not saying there aren't good pvp guilds out there.. I'm saying its much easier to find groupable teamates on the pve servers. MUCH easier.

I'll agree to disagree. I found an equal amount of retards on the closed beta pve server. They're all over, and have been in every MMO I've played. Luckily, I've found a great group of people spanning 3 guilds, and I rarely group with anyone else. And I'm just as interested in PvE as I am in PvP. After all, I need the phat lootz to kill you with. LOLZ AM I RITE!? And instance boss fights are beyond fun.

I think this discourages group play, yes. But I think Blizz has maintained a good balance. Like I said.. I don't have issues grouping with my pve toons.

I never said Blizz didn't keep a good balance for all gameplay styles... I'm saying that 99.9% of players take the easy solo route to 60, and then have no clue what they're doing when they're in a group facing hard content. WoW is great. All play styles can excel, but unfortunately people aren't going to excel at all playstyles. Most people choose to solo their whole life, and this becomes obvious in the end game... Regardless of your ruleset choice.

This is true for some classes more than others. Even a warrior should be able to tank with a pvp build according to blizz. But it's not exactly like people interested in pvp really have a clue when it comes to team play anyway.

Guess I won't group anymore. I chose to play on a pvp server, and therefor don't know what I'm doing. :( Was fun while it lasted.

But thanks for the information heh.

The correct information, yes. A distinct contrast from your weak generalizations.

akascream

Banned
Cerebral Palsy said:
I'll agree to disagree. I found an equal amount of retards on the closed beta pve server.

Closed beta is a bit different a scenario though.. but I'm not about to argue that there aren't lots of retards on the pve servers. Far from it.

And I'm just as interested in PvE as I am in PvP. After all, I need the phat lootz to kill you with. LOLZ AM I RITE!? And instance boss fights are beyond fun.

I'm not suggesting that you aren't good at PvE because you play on a PvP server. Generally though, I've had a much more difficult time grouping.

I never said Blizz didn't keep a good balance for all gameplay styles... I'm saying that 99.9% of players take the easy solo route to 60, and then have no clue what they're doing when they're in a group facing hard content.

Oh, I agree. I don't think that accounts for the difference between pve and pvp servers though.

WoW is great. All play styles can excel, but unfortunately people aren't going to excel at all playstyles. Most people choose to solo their whole life, and this becomes obvious in the end game... Regardless of your ruleset choice.

I agree, the game rules. I wish they had made the pvp server ruleset default.. or the pve server default and had battlegrounds for pvp. I hate it when mmo makers split the userbase like that. I enjoy pvp, but I don't want to feel like my pvp accomplishments may be less than those I could have enjoyed playing against more skilled pvp opponents. And I hate that to play against good pvp players I have to make some pve compromises.

Guess I won't group anymore. I chose to play on a pvp server, and therefor don't know what I'm doing. :( Was fun while it lasted.

Lol dude.. you are way too defensive.

The correct information, yes. A distinct contrast from your weak generalizations.

Not so weak in my experience. I'm glad you didn't run into the same issues though.

Ferrio

Banned
So the groups I've been in that worked great as a team on my PvP server.... weren't? And you go further to say that people like our guild's healing specced priest has the wrong talents for group play? Hmmmm..... man this game sure confuses me now.

Ferrio said:
So the groups I've been in that worked great as a team on my PvP server.... weren't? And you go further to say that people like our guild's healing specced priest has the wrong talents for group play? Hmmmm..... man this game sure confuses me now.

Sorry, Ferrio. PvE only players are obviously far superior. They know how to group and all of that weird stuff.

firex

hunters are worthless for endgame pve groups except for damage (which you can also get a rogue/mage/warlock for). but they're great at pvp. they just bring nothing to the table at high levels. their pet dies pretty fast to level 50 and up elites so it's not worth using in the higher level instances. at least their damage, concussive shot and stings are good enough to make them a good 5th person to add.

Bliz did something to <TAB> targeting with this latest patch.

Before the latest patch, I'd use <TAB> exclusively for selecting a target and cycling thru multiple ones. Easy, fast, and allowed my mouse cursor to do other things.

Now it just will not work unless i'm w/in 5 yards or so of the mob. Pissing me off really, as it's definetly had an effect on my playstyle (especially in instances).

akascream

Banned
Doesn't tab just select the nearest one too? I like to use the v button cause it makes it easy to see when group members are idiots, and switching targets is nice. But casters tell me you have to be close to mobs for v to work, so I dunno.

TAB would select the nearest mob first, but repeated presses would cycle between all targets w/in your spells range (i'm a mage). Super super sweet during instances as I was blazing fast with CC and insta-nuking whatever bastard was running away and near death. Oh well, must adapt to the change.

nataku

Yeah, the bugged tab distance bugs me too (hah). It's such a pain to have to use the mouse. If I was a rogue, warrior, or paladin I wouldn't care... but I'm a hunter. I'm always way in the back. I used to be able to hit tab to select things from far away... at least double the distance of what it currently is. I have to be near my min. shooting range to use it now. Sometimes it doesn't even work unless I get so close I'm unable to attack it. Too close to shoot with ranged, too far away to melee.

Hey, I've heard about people getting bored with their characters and "rerolling". What is this exactly? Is it a way to keep the experience level you've made from the start with your current character but change his class?

Biff Hardbody said:
Hey, I've heard about people getting bored with their characters and "rerolling". What is this exactly? Is it a way to keep the experience level you've made from the start with your current character but change his class?

No, it's just creating another character.

akascream

Banned
You know.. you guys could always try assisting. Doesn't help you much in situations where you are stopping runners (if its ever not the ma, which it almost always will be), but you ought to be using an MA anyway. At least if you don't want to gimp your tank and want to do anything remotely challenging.

Ferrio

Banned
Biff Hardbody said:

Or maybe redoing their talents.

ManaByte

Those of you who have paid for a MMO in the past may be in for a shock when you get billed for WoW:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-general&t=537943&p=1&tmp=1#post537943

Looks like people are being charged sales tax on the subscription fee. First MMO to ever do that. According to that thread, someone was able to figure out that Blizzard classified the subscription fee as "goods" which can be taxed. Other MMOs classify it as a "service", which is why you don't get taxed for EQ, EQ2, DAoC, or any other MMORPG.

nataku

akascream said:
You know.. you guys could always try assisting. Doesn't help you much in situations where you are stopping runners (if its ever not the ma, which it almost always will be), but you ought to be using an MA anyway. At least if you don't want to gimp your tank and want to do anything remotely challenging.

I do use assist, but assiting won't help me when I'm trying to do minor CC. Place a freeze trap, quickly switch targets, toss out distracting shot, switch back to the main target. I do that quite often... at least every other fight, especially in instances. It's impossible with the gimped tab distance now to do it within a decent amout of time. Same thing with getting mobs off mages, it's slow as shit to use the mouse to target, all the while the mages are getting the crap beat out of them.

Malakhov

Banned
My hunter just hit 16 on cenarius, having lots of fun with her so far.

So it's just me, tamanon and alex on Cenarius? Who else?

Meier

Biff Hardbody said:
Hey, I've heard about people getting bored with their characters and "rerolling". What is this exactly?

Old MUD term. You used to randomly generate a characters' stats with a dice roll. Rerolling was as you can guess, starting over completely and "rolling" a new character.

Kweh

Astranaar came under heavy attack tonight, so we countered it with an attack on The Crossroads. I went along for the ride, and I've never witnessed anything so laggy.

It would of been great fun if there wasnt a 10 second delay on every command :(

akascream

Banned
Meier said:
Old MUD term. You used to randomly generate a characters' stats with a dice roll. Rerolling was as you can guess, starting over completely and "rolling" a new character.

I think it has something to do with the dice you use to roll a character in a pen/paper rpg. ;)

Meier

akascream said:
I think it has something to do with the dice you use to roll a character in a pen/paper rpg. ;)

Same difference I suppose since it uses the same type of ruleset. I guess I couldnt visualize someone sitting at a table and telling another person theyre going to "reroll" but I guess I've never seen anyone play a game like that in person.

ManaByte

Wow, the amount of blind fanboys on the official forums is sickening. There is nowhere stating that the monthly fee is +tax and they are defending Blizzard on it. :lol

Sticking with Gilneas as Horde. Hard to go back to my hunter after playing my undead rogue character. Joined a cool new guild and im the first rogue haw haw. Gonna rise in the ranks. Everyone else is warrior/mage and a few priests.

Its a good class at higher levels, check out the WoW Class forums for various how to's on different builds. Gives you an idea as to which directions you can take. Since WoW is built like Diablo II you can sorta do a bunch of different thinks with one class which changes how you play.

Kweh

I like the idea of an Undead Priest, started one when my original server was down and thought it was pretty cool. I love Smite for some reason. Such a cool move.

Anyway, something to save for the EU release methinks!

firex

the priest I played in beta was focused around shadow talents. I liked it, but that's because I liked soloing more than doing instances. it also has a feeling like being an evil cleric in d&d since you go from healer to destroying everything with shadow magic and a debuff that heals you based upon the damage you deal.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Ha, for anyone who has gotten the loot bug:

wow.gif

:lol

akascream

Banned
There isn't much reason to spec holy as a priest. Shadow form + vampiric embrace for nice dps + healing and you can still pop out of shadow form for big heals. Priests are pretty neat in this game.

Ferrio

Banned
akascream said:
There isn't much reason to spec holy as a priest. Shadow form + vampiric embrace for nice dps + healing and you can still pop out of shadow form for big heals. Priests are pretty neat in this game.

Supposably healing end game is rocking. Wait weren't you complaining earlier about people not taking talent paths that help out the group? Then you're saying you should go shadow? What the hell.

Not that I've played a priest... But my friend is running a L58 holy/shad spec priest, and his build seems to be the best all around for both instances, solo, and pvp. So far we haven't had any issues with healing. We'll see how it goes when we hit places like BRS, Scholomance, and raid content.

But anyway, Priests indeed rock.

akascream

Banned
Ferrio said:
Supposably healing end game is rocking. Wait weren't you complaining earlier about people not taking talent paths that help out the group? Then you're saying you should go shadow? What the hell.

Lol, ANGST!!

Ferrio

Banned
Well progress:

Lvl 51
Alchemy: 300 (just hit)
Herbalism: 300 (for quite awhile)

Now I need to find me some good maces. Got one from the Maraudon instance, decent dps... but the +int and mana regen just ain't working.

I'm 55 now. I've ignored my tradeskills though. Herbalism is like 53 or something, and Alchemy not even that high. I'll spend a day or so maxing them out once I hit 60.

Ferrio

Banned
Alchemy has rocked for me. I've made 25 Major Healing Potions now (heals up to 1.7k, saves my ass, and I can sell 5 for 7g.)

nataku

Seems the servers are down.

Also seems that Blizzard rolled back the subscription changes or something. I changed the card I wanted them to charge the day before they were supposed to be charged, but apparently it didn't stick. Just now went to the account page and the old card is still listed as the card to be charged.

Servers aren't down for me. Might be the login server again. God they really need to something about that.

Wow oh wow some of the high level zones are jaw dropping. Blizzard has NAILED the epic feel the high level zones should have. Wandered around the Blasted Lands, Swamp of Sorrows, Dustwallow Marsh, Deadwind Pass, just amazing, amazing work.

firex

Kweh said:
I hear mention of Priest's going Shadow to 60 then respeccing to Holy for endgame.
I would have done that if they had made holy talents worthwhile when they were first introduced. Priest talents seriously sucked for a long time, then before open beta they made tiny adjustments people had been begging for ever since the talents were introduced, and instantly, holy talents became actually worth using. I'd quit my priest way before that, though.

Going shadow to 60 then respecing to holy, or disc/holy is simply the fastest, best route. And anyone who thinks a holy/disc priest isn't a way better healer in the endgame (and almost a necessity, at least on the alliance) is crazy. With enough holy talents their big heals become very useful and their group heal is great, and gets used a lot, plus they get so much more mana efficiency. Arguably they ARE a necessity for raids, although I never ever did one (wanted to save those for retail).

firex

Sal Paradise Jr said:
Servers aren't down for me. Might be the login server again. God they really need to something about that.

Wow oh wow some of the high level zones are jaw dropping. Blizzard has NAILED the epic feel the high level zones should have. Wandered around the Blasted Lands, Swamp of Sorrows, Dustwallow Marsh, Deadwind Pass, just amazing, amazing work.
I've quested in all those zones (well, not deadwind obviously) a ton and I still find them absolutely amazing. Atmospheric as hell and even when the quests are boring shit like "collect x parts from x enemies" I still love it just for the scenery and ambience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom