• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mute

Banned
Soooooo I can't remember if I said that or not, but I started again. *sigh* Renewed my account Friday. I've been leveling my hunter that I haven't played since before BC. So far I've managed to go from 60-66 since the beginning of the weekend. I might be able to make 70 by the end of the week. Easily the fastest leveling of my life.

yacobod

Banned
ya i recently shelfed my hunter, and i've been playing my warrior again for the past two weeks

i power lvld my blacksmithing, crafted thunder, got my epic pvp bracers, boots, and neck, i'm in the process of saving up honor points for my epic belt and cape, blue shoulders and gloves, i probably will have all 4 pieces by next tuesday, i think its AV weekend, so i'll be able to make tons of honor

i've made 1300 arena points so far, so i'm going to pick up my legs next tuesday, my 3v3 team is up to 1750, and my 5v5 team is up to 1800, hopefully get up to around 1900 with both teams this week, 1900 for 5v5 will net around 900 points in a week

its funny but warriors seem even more powerful now then they were prexpac

Mute said:
Soooooo I can't remember if I said that or not, but I started again. *sigh* Renewed my account Friday. I've been leveling my hunter that I haven't played since before BC. So far I've managed to go from 60-66 since the beginning of the weekend. I might be able to make 70 by the end of the week. Easily the fastest leveling of my life.

Holy crap 60-66 in a week o.o You must be playing tons to make up for lost time. :p Chu know chu luv it

border

yacobod said:
its funny but warriors seem even more powerful now then they were prexpac
Mortal Strike and Death Wish together are pretty ridiculous. Before BC you had to choose one or the other......but now you can cut down pretty much any priest or warlock.

mollipen

Question for those who have "frozen" their accounts and then come back to them later - is there a set amount of time that your account stays around on the servers, or are they pretty much there until you decide to come back should you decide to do so? I'm thinking about maybe getting away from the game for a while, but I'd like the option to come back and play it again should I decide to. I'm just not sure if I have a set amount of time to come back in, or if things will be safe until like WoW itself shuts down or whatever.

Also, is anything lost from your account if you suspend it for a while? Or should I expect all of my characters, gold, items, etc. to still be there when I return? (Of course, beyond any direct game revisions that Blizzard makes between when I quit and when I return.)

johnsmith

remember me
Taking 15 minutes to research endgame role for classes would have saved you paladins days of play time. I can't really say i feel sorry for you guys. It's not like it recently became that paladin dps was an oxymoron. It's been that way forever.

What's funny is that I rolled a Priest, and my GM wouldn't let me go holy if I wanted to. I'm topping DPS meters in raids as shadow, and I'm a never ending source of mana for my party. Right now, I can't be replaced by any class, and I'm about the best geared on the server. While There's 4 classes that can heal just as well.

If you dont want to heal bot, I say go protection. People will tell you they can't tank end game stuff. They're wrong, and are probably thinking about pre-bc paladins. They can do 5 mans easy, they can do heroics easily assuming they're properly geared. Can they do raids? They can, but they have to be more geared than a warrior at the same point. And you can always be off tank. Most raids need at the very minimum 2 tanks.

johnsmith

remember me
shidoshi said:
Question for those who have "frozen" their accounts and then come back to them later - is there a set amount of time that your account stays around on the servers, or are they pretty much there until you decide to come back should you decide to do so? I'm thinking about maybe getting away from the game for a while, but I'd like the option to come back and play it again should I decide to. I'm just not sure if I have a set amount of time to come back in, or if things will be safe until like WoW itself shuts down or whatever.

Also, is anything lost from your account if you suspend it for a while? Or should I expect all of my characters, gold, items, etc. to still be there when I return? (Of course, beyond any direct game revisions that Blizzard makes between when I quit and when I return.)

Everything will be 100% the same when you come back. It's not like that piece of shit FFXI that deletes your characters after a few months.

unifin

I've been thinking about trying out a new class for a while... I might go back to rogue. I think I'll get my shammy to 70 first, but after that, I don't really know. If a raiding guild is willing to take me as an enhancement shaman for melee DPS, I'd be pretty happy, but I don't really want to go full resto or elemental.

So, recommendations if I feel like trying out a new class? I'm leaning towards either Rogue or Shadowpriest. I like hunter, but I don't think it's the class for me.

I do have to say that of all the dabbling I've done in various classes, shaman's easily been my favorite so far. Extremely versatile, powerful PvE damage, great group buffs - it's been great.

firex

johnsmith said:
Taking 15 minutes to research endgame role for classes would have saved you paladins days of play time. I can't really say i feel sorry for you guys. It's not like it recently became that paladin dps was an oxymoron. It's been that way forever.

What's funny is that I rolled a Priest, and my GM wouldn't let me go holy if I wanted to. I'm topping DPS meters in raids as shadow, and I'm a never ending source of mana for my party. Right now, I can't be replaced by any class, and I'm about the best geared on the server. While There's 4 classes that can heal just as well.

If you dont want to heal bot, I say go protection. People will tell you they can't tank end game stuff. They're wrong, and are probably thinking about pre-bc paladins. They can do 5 mans easy, they can do heroics easily assuming they're properly geared. Can they do raids? They can, but they have to be more geared than a warrior at the same point. And you can always be off tank. Most raids need at the very minimum 2 tanks.
I knew getting into it that pallies were either tank or healer, but they've screwed up the tanking bit so far. I mean, it's viable, but it's viable like pre-2.0 feral druid tanks were, where they could hold aggro but in all cases you were better off with a warrior. It sucks, because I really did make my pally planning on getting tank gear and going prot, but there's still a pretty big gap between pally tanks and druid/warrior tanks because of what they have to go for, and generally crappy designed tank gear.

johnsmith

remember me
I just did a heroic mechanar run with a paladin tank. He only had 14 points in protection, but awesome gear. It went as well as the runs i've done with my guild's main warrior tanks. Would he be able to raid main tank? hell no. But he probably could if he was full prot.

Ramirez

Well, my graphics card has been busted for about 3 weeks now, so I haven't been able to play, but I'm getting the replacement installed tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure my friend that I played with is pretty much done with the game after such a long break from it, I'm not that motivated to play it myself. I'd really like to just start a BE rogue or something on a new server and play casually, but it doesn't seem like there's gonna be anymore servers anytime soon, people are always askin for them...

Mzo

firex said:
It sucks, because I really did make my pally planning on getting tank gear and going prot, but there's still a pretty big gap between pally tanks and druid/warrior tanks because of what they have to go for, and generally crappy designed tank gear.
Use shitty pally tank gear to get through pathetically easy crap like anything non-raid or non-heroic.

Use warrior gear to tank heroics and raids. You don't need int if you're being healed as often as you will be in those places and you really don't need very much spell damage at all to generate ridiculous aggro.

I prefer paladin tanks on 5 man runs. Avenger's shield, consecration and a 40 yard, multiple enemy taunt makes it ridiculously easy to hold everything while the DPS kills it one by one.

I prefer warriors in raids for their better mitigation and intrinsically higher HP.

Check out my pally tank in the armory, it's Mzo in the Shattered Hand server.

Depending on the instance, I prefer Warrior or Paladin tank over say, a Druid. Now, there's times in which a Druid tank is prefered (multimob pulls), but honestly, a Paladin that's specced Prot & geared for it, is hard pressed to *NOT* be as good as a Warrior, as long as you factor our Last Stand/Shield Wall. It's only those 2 abilities that can make the "Pure Boss Tank" shine in the Warriors favor. Otherwise, the Tankadin works just as well, plus they can heal a bit & rez if need be.

Mute

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
Holy crap 60-66 in a week o.o You must be playing tons to make up for lost time. :p Chu know chu luv it
2nd night in a row for me with no sleep a the moment. Working towards 68. Haha. This game is turning me in to a fiend. WoW is more addictive than any drug.
I'm not kidding.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just remember that people have quit the game over levelling so quickly. Getting burnt out and all that.

Zalasta

I serious hate Arcatraz, been farming that place for about a month now for the enchanting recipe +35 Agility to 2 hand. I run it at least 10 times each week (I've done as many as 5 in one single day). Never drops, until last weekend, which was promptly "stolen" by another enchanter that wasn't even high enough to learn it, and the best part was we asked the 2 non-guildies in the group not to roll on it if it dropped, since that is the only reason I was running the stupid instance, being already exalted with The Sha'tar and having ran the damn place for like over 30 times. He never responded so we thought he agreed, then he claimed ignorance when he needed it. If we had known he's gonna roll on it, we would have gotten a replacement for him, it's not as if warlocks are that desirable for Arcatraz anyway. I've been back there at least 5 more times since that shitty event happened and of course no luck again. It's the only specific mob-drop recipe I'm missing outside of Karazhan, and I thought I got over it, but it still pisses me off when I think about it. I can't believe how the action of one person can totally screw me up and make me waste even more time on something I should've already gotten.

Won the roll for the Shard off of Maiden last night but I passed it to a druid instead, I really wanted it, especially since it's getting buffed after the patch, but I was feeling generous. Funny how good karma never happens to me when I do things like these so often.

offtopic

He measures in centimeters
A good druid tank is almost equal to a prot warrior - plenty of examples of druids tanking all the kara bosses. What is nice is that with a simple gear swap they can also "top" (becomes somewhat gear dependent) the dps charts as well as brez and innervate.

Fularu

Banned
Zalasta said:
I serious hate Arcatraz, been farming that place for about a month now for the enchanting recipe +35 Agility to 2 hand. I run it at least 10 times each week (I've done as many as 5 in one single day). Never drops, until last weekend, which was promptly "stolen" by another enchanter that wasn't even high enough to learn it, and the best part was we asked the 2 non-guildies in the group not to roll on it if it dropped, since that is the only reason I was running the stupid instance, being already exalted with The Sha'tar and having ran the damn place for like over 30 times. He never responded so we thought he agreed, then he claimed ignorance when he needed it. If we had known he's gonna roll on it, we would have gotten a replacement for him, it's not as if warlocks are that desirable for Arcatraz anyway. I've been back there at least 5 more times since that shitty event happened and of course no luck again. It's the only specific mob-drop recipe I'm missing outside of Karazhan, and I thought I got over it, but it still pisses me off when I think about it. I can't believe how the action of one person can totally screw me up and make me waste even more time on something I should've already gotten.

Won the roll for the Shard off of Maiden last night but I passed it to a druid instead, I really wanted it, especially since it's getting buffed after the patch, but I was feeling generous. Funny how good karma never happens to me when I do things like these so often.

You're wasting time

Take 4 people from your guild and only farm those mobs.

Get in, kill enough on the first floor, clear void romm and pull the mobs that drop it, go out, reset, do it again

You should be able to do it 4-5 times per hour

A good druid tank is almost equal to a prot warrior - plenty of examples of druids tanking all the kara bosses. What is nice is that with a simple gear swap they can also "top" (becomes somewhat gear dependent) the dps charts as well as brez and innervate.

Also, an average druid tank is about 40x better than an average warrior, at least if you're a lock that wants to do more than just stand there and watch your DoTs tick (and even then hope you don't pull aggro :/). Druids only have to want to do damage, warriors have to be bright enough to set up revenge by using shield block.

We had a full night of wiping on Prince Malchezaar last week only to find out through the combat logs that the relatively new tank used shield block as little as 9 times on some attempts. Should have realized that immediately since he was taking a *lot* more damage in phase 1 than normal.

fallout

cubicle47b said:
We had a full night of wiping on Prince Malchezaar last week only to find out through the combat logs that the relatively new tank used shield block as little as 9 times on some attempts. Should have realized that immediately since he was taking a *lot* more damage in phase 1 than normal.
I uh, don't know a lot about tanking, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shield block also kind of essential for mitigating crushing blows? If so, that's gotta be hell on your healers.

firex

I think now you can get enough defense to be crit/crushing blow immune. Or they just added in crushing blows to crit immunity. I'm not 100% positive, it's just something I've read when I was looking up tank gear.

cubicle47b said:
Also, an average druid tank is about 40x better than an average warrior, at least if you're a lock that wants to do more than just stand there and watch your DoTs tick (and even then hope you don't pull aggro :/). Druids only have to want to do damage, warriors have to be bright enough to set up revenge by using shield block.

Phase 1? Phase ONE? If that's true, phase 2 musta been two hits of Prince hitting him, and him hitting the ground.

I've been playing WOW as a 70 hunter for a while. I'm currently BM spec'd doing a 40 points in BM and 20 points in MM.

But for some reason I'm not doing any dps. I'm not sure what I need to be doing.

Hunters what are you all spec'd as and what about Survival. It seems like the red headed stepchild of specs. Any suggestions?

Phase 1? Phase ONE? If that's true, phase 2 musta been two hits of Prince hitting him, and him hitting the ground.

Nah, we made it to phase 3 a couple times. But at some point he would literally get 2 shot (take 15K in 2 seconds). It was weird going from last week (where I yawned myself through the prince kill) to this week. Your tank makes a massive difference.

490 is crit immune except in the rarest of cases (dual wielding mobs). Being immune to crushing blows means you have to have miss, parry, dodge, and block added together greater than or equal to 100%.

Tommie Hu$tle said:
I've been playing WOW as a 70 hunter for a while. I'm currently BM spec'd doing a 40 points in BM and 20 points in MM.

But for some reason I'm not doing any dps. I'm not sure what I need to be doing.

Hunters what are you all spec'd as and what about Survival. It seems like the red headed stepchild of specs. Any suggestions?

Cookie Cutter DPS build for a Hunter to increase DPS is:

41 Marksmanship
20 Survival

Can tweak the numbers a bit if you like, but a generic build like that will definately increase your sustained dps in running instances with groups/raids.

Beast Mastery is great for leveling up, got a couple nice PVP abilities, but that's about it, to be perfectly honest.

Alex

Prince isn't too bad, but he can pull some Patchwerk level smack downs on a stupid tank.

It's an all around fight though, not just tanking. You need a good tank, you need good healers, you need good DPS and you need a raid in general that's smart enough to react to bad Infernal drops and other dicey situations.

As for Druid VS Warrior, the learning curve on Druid tanking and gear requirements are not nearly as steep. Although, any way you slice it the best tanking setup I found was a good Druid tank with a DPS Warrior keeping up Imp. Thunderclap. Druids don't remain *as* viable once you start the further raid content, but they're excellent for things like Karazhan.

If you're using a Warrior solely, just make sure he has smart gems and enchants and talents firstly. No 0/0/61 shit, no STR gems and enchants, etc. Have him keep up Imp. TC, Demo Shout and Shield Block the instant it cools down and you shouldn't have a problem with incoming damage provided he's decently geared.

Blow all of your cooldowns during stage 2. Heroism/Blood Lust, etc, burn him to the ground, because stage 2 sets the victory, if your healers can finish stage 2 with a solid ammount of mana, that's the key.

I've seen a lot of bullies about some of the Karazhan bosses and difficulty, blows my mind. A lot of the bosses in there you can easily equate to early Naxx bosses, easily, which is a fair jump for some of these small guilds.

I really don't understand where some of the snobs get off comparing them to ZG or even UBRS... I mean, UBRS? Are you ****ing kidding?

From my pov, Aran is harder than prince. But damn does the prince hit hard, his move which causes him to hit 3 times in quick succession is what kills tanks in phase two. I've killed him twice both times tanking, kept my trinkets until stage 2. Still it can be close I had under 300 hp very briefly once... last stand last stand last stand!

Zalasta

Fularu said:
You're wasting time

Take 4 people from your guild and only farm those mobs.

Get in, kill enough on the first floor, clear void romm and pull the mobs that drop it, go out, reset, do it again

You should be able to do it 4-5 times per hour

I know that already, I've been on fragment runs that skip most of the mobs, and the guy the drops the recipe is only 3 more pulls than that. Unfortunately, my guildmates have no problem asking me for enchants I've farmed hours myself, but when it comes to actually helping me with it, no dice. I've even suggested that a couple run each week I'd appreciate, but no one ever helps. I'm pretty disillusioned, so I go LFG every day for it, I do full runs, wipe continuously on the last boss, even if I get nothing out of it.

DiatribeEQ said:
Cookie Cutter DPS build for a Hunter to increase DPS is:

41 Marksmanship
20 Survival

Can tweak the numbers a bit if you like, but a generic build like that will definately increase your sustained dps in running instances with groups/raids.

Beast Mastery is great for leveling up, got a couple nice PVP abilities, but that's about it, to be perfectly honest.

This would be incorrect. If you're going for all out raid/instance dps, your spec should look more like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=VxbZVE0RVzGestsh

You could probably switch around humanoid and monster slaying if that's what you'd prefer.

However, when the new patch comes out, I believe BM will be very viable, what with kill command being removed from the global cooldown. Also, if you haven't yet, understand and practice the hunter shot cycle. It can increase your dps by 20%-50%. Also, get an autoshot bar to help you with it.

Fularu

Banned
Karazhan has NAXX level bosses?

Are you kidding me? Any guild can go through Karazhan in 3 weeks even if it's made out of scrubs. Once you know the fights and gear up a little, it's barely above ZG.

As for the druid/warrior tanking debate, warriors are the all around best tanks, and it's not even close. Not that we didn't try the Druid MT thing, it's just not really worth it.

When is this new patch coming out and what is being changed? :p

I'm a relatively new player with a Lvl35 warrior and I'd like to know how the changes will affect me.

Meier

Azwethinkweiz said:
This would be incorrect. If you're going for all out raid/instance dps, your spec should look more like this: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=VxbZVE0RVzGestsh

You could probably switch around humanoid and monster slaying if that's what you'd prefer.

I would definitely suggest only 3 points in IHM to get GFTT. I've looked at one of those raid logs before and one hunter had it, and one didn't.. the one with it did an additional 9,000 dmg due to the fact every time he got a crit, his WS was able to cast Lightning Breath. It's a definite must-have talent, especially for a Marksman.

I've been BM for quite awhile, even after hitting 70.. but I'm trying out a 43/18 Marks/Survival build now.. it's weird not having Spirit Bond and a pet with 11k armor, but I guess I'll get used to it. I was able to do the Netherstorm quest with the robot you control finally since I did enough DPS myself. :lol

fallout

Alex said:
I really don't understand where some of the snobs get off comparing them to ZG or even UBRS... I mean, UBRS? Are you ****ing kidding?
I'd say that it's comparable to ZG/AQ20. My small guild is making about the same amount of progression (and we only raid like, once a week ... if that). The UBRS comparisons are just stupid, though. Nobody had to stand in specific places, or even switch targets, or have some kind of CC order. Hell, Attumen is probably more complicated than most of the shit you can find in UBRS.

I'd say Aran is more complex than anything I fought in aq20/zg and mc. Although having said that I joined my guild the day before we killed Raggy so my perspective is a bit wonky.

Ramirez

Yea, Kara isn't that hard, I made a guild of basically 5 friends and 5 scrubs we picked up on our server, two of which shared a 56K connection, and we made it up to Aran in less than 2 weeks. We basically 8 manned some of the shit because the two 56Kers would be lagging/disconnected the entire time. They were awesome people though, so it was a hard situation to try and replace them, one that ultimately made us just quit the game basically so we wouldn't have to go through the drama :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
huzkee said:
When is this new patch coming out and what is being changed? :p

I'm a relatively new player with a Lvl35 warrior and I'd like to know how the changes will affect me.
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/patchnotes/test-realm-patchnotes.html

Most patches are announced when they will be put into the game before the server's go down for maintenance, but usually when a new instance is unveiled the testing could go for a month.

cubicle47b said:
Nah, we made it to phase 3 a couple times. But at some point he would literally get 2 shot (take 15K in 2 seconds). It was weird going from last week (where I yawned myself through the prince kill) to this week. Your tank makes a massive difference.

490 is crit immune except in the rarest of cases (dual wielding mobs). Being immune to crushing blows means you have to have miss, parry, dodge, and block added together greater than or equal to 100%.

Yah. Me and a friend in-game know this all too well. "What do you mean he respecced 41 Fury?!?!" :lol

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Trying to sell my account... if any GAFfers are interested or want more info, send me a PM :)

61 Troll Shaman, 60 Troll Rogue, 60 Troll priest + some 30s and 20s across various servers. All chars are transferable, and the shaman is on a pvp server.

Meier

Cant imagine that'd be worth much to be honest as people who try fairly hard can get to 60 in no time flat these days. I saw some guy selling a lvl 70 hunter with some very good gear, flying mount, etc. for like $250 and it had no bids.

fallout

MrCheez said:
61 Troll Shaman, 60 Troll Rogue, 60 Troll priest + some 30s and 20s across various servers. All chars are transferable, and the shaman is on a pvp server.
For marketing purposes, I suggest you call this the "Troll Patrol Package".

Mzo

DiatribeEQ said:
Depending on the instance, I prefer Warrior or Paladin tank over say, a Druid. Now, there's times in which a Druid tank is prefered (multimob pulls), but honestly, a Paladin that's specced Prot & geared for it, is hard pressed to *NOT* be as good as a Warrior, as long as you factor our Last Stand/Shield Wall. It's only those 2 abilities that can make the "Pure Boss Tank" shine in the Warriors favor. Otherwise, the Tankadin works just as well, plus they can heal a bit & rez if need be.
Why is a druid tank better than a paladin for multi-mob pulls? I'm confused on that one.

You do know that paladin aggro is basically 99.9% holy damage, that improved Righteous Fury gives us 90% extra aggro from holy damage, right? Using consecrate, nothing gets away from a halfway-decent paladin tank. The end.

Warriors have more than Last Stand and Shield Wall on their side. Don't forget that Defensive Stance gives them 4% better damage mitigation than any paladin could ever have (10% as opposed to RF's 6%). Add Demoralizing Shout, Thunderclap and the 1k+ health difference (not even counting Commanding Shout) between the classes and warriors are still #1 at single raid boss tanking.

I'm not saying a paladin can't do it, and it'll be easier than ever after the patch hits and all epics are buffed to where they should have been all along, but the point is if you have an equally geared warrior you'd be an idiot not to use him.

Mzo said:
Why is a druid tank better than a paladin for multi-mob pulls? I'm confused on that one.

You do know that paladin aggro is basically 99.9% holy damage, that improved Righteous Fury gives us 90% extra aggro from holy damage, right? Using consecrate, nothing gets away from a halfway-decent paladin tank. The end.

Warriors have more than Last Stand and Shield Wall on their side. Don't forget that Defensive Stance gives them 4% better damage mitigation than any paladin could ever have (10% as opposed to RF's 6%). Add Demoralizing Shout, Thunderclap and the 1k+ health difference (not even counting Commanding Shout) between the classes and warriors are still #1 at single raid boss tanking.

I'm not saying a paladin can't do it, and it'll be easier than ever after the patch hits and all epics are buffed to where they should have been all along, but the point is if you have an equally geared warrior you'd be an idiot not to use him.

I think the point is in the choice though, you may not be an idiot to use an equally geared paladin as a tank if say, you already have too much healing, as a warrior if specced well could provide better DPS than a pally.

Canceled my account tonight. It was just today that it activated itself for another month so we'll see how I'm feeling then. But right now my server is just awful as far as progression goes and that's why I play the game. To see cool encounters. And my server isn't giving me that, and I'm not going to pay $25 for a server transfer when I'm going back to school this fall and I have to save enough money for a laptop, books and take a vacation with my girlfriend this summer. This may be the end of me and WoW. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom