• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

in my experience, combat swords was good. and it does have a big difference over assassination. Not right away, but deeper into the tree assassination becomes more about dagger skills, and combat swords is generally better overall because it doesn't require sneaking up and ambushing to start a fight, and you get to use weapons with good white damage.

border

ToyMachine228 said:
Combat-Swords is dishing constant damage. Assassination is more about a few big hits from Ambush and Backstab and is dagger based. As yaco said, Combat-Swords leveling basically consists of two things...Sinister Strike and Eviscerate.
Sounds about as dull as leveling a warrior, though. :(

EDIT: Is there a preferred spec for "FUN" instead of fast leveling? =)

yacobod

Banned
border said:

ya but ganking ppl is the best part of lvling a rogue

you can make it "FUN"

Hero

Ganking people in world PVP is the only fun part about being a rogue.

Go Combat Swords. Keep Slice and Dice up always. Around lvl 18 get someone to run you through VC for 2x Cruel Barbs, that should be good for a while.

border said:

I'm leveling a warrior now. Once you get victory rush, and are leveling fury, it's soooo much fun.

keiichi

Combat Swords is the recommended lvling build. I'm thinking of switching to a Combat/Mutilate build as I hear the CP generation is crazy and it's a fun spec, whatever you do though, don't forget about picking up Imp. Slice and Dice.

Icy

Banned
Uber cool. It'll probably tie some story ends with the destruction of silvermoon and the wars with the scourge.

bengraven

Maxrpg said:
Lich King.

That's what they said, but that means LK would be coming out within the next 5 or 6 months. Or they simply have no plans to patch the game in the next, what, half a year or more.

bengraven said:
That's what they said, but that means LK would be coming out within the next 5 or 6 months. Or they simply have no plans to patch the game in the next, what, half a year or more.

Originally Blizz said that they want to release an expansion every year, but we know that they won't be able to follow up on that. They take their time with their games and make sure that they're the best they possibly can be. I would expect a November 2008 release for WotLK personally.

Icy

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Originally Blizz said that they want to release an expansion every year, but we know that they won't be able to follow up on that. They take their time with their games and make sure that they're the best they possibly can be. I would expect a November 2008 release for WotLK personally.

technically if they had waited to release the TBC with all of its content intact it would have been November 2007 as thats when 2.3 hit with Zul'aman.

Icy said:
technically if they had waited to release the TBC with all of its content intact it would have been November 2007 as thats when 2.3 hit with Zul'aman.

That's not a smart MMO business model though. By asking people to pay $15 a month for continued development and updates the developer's are able to constantly add new features that keep people playing the game. Adding new dungeons, new quests, zones, reputations etc. always gives players new material to play, enjoy and work towards. There is no point where you can say "OK, I finished" because there's always more and there's always more on the way.

Ashodin

bengraven said:
What they mean is that there will be no big content patches beyond Sunwell because that's all they planned for Burning Crusade. They will work furiously on LK after Sunwell is released.

Alex

I hope in the future Blizzard chooses to give exclusives to better places, this acaciaizm place has choked to death both times I've simply tried to load it today.

border

Hero said:
Go Combat Swords. Keep Slice and Dice up always. Around lvl 18 get someone to run you through VC for 2x Cruel Barbs, that should be good for a while.
Isn't your offhand supposed to be a very fast dagger or sword, though?

Has anyone ever tried farming SFK for Shadowfang? How long did it take? (Assuming you had a lvl 70 alt doing the farming for you)

firex

farming for overpriced BG twink boes is pretty dumb to do now if you're going to level. I would just get someone to run you through those early instances for the bop drops that are now as good or better than the twink weapons.

and offhand speed won't really matter until you start getting combat potency anyway, though there are a few early game fast swords you can put in your offhand (like an upgraded drop from mr. smite in deadmines).

Just activated my account and did a few quick holiday quests on my 66 Dranei Shaman. Playing on my laptop now which feels weird and doesn't run as great, but oh well, what are you going to do. My activation was free from the WoW Credit Card:lol Casting a Scroll of Ressurection on a friend too. Don't know if it'll work but we'll see.

fallout

Finally, the limit of daily quests will raise in 2.4, from 10 to a whopping 25 (which is all the quests in your log. Money money money!)
:lol I love how daily quests have gone from being casual to being daily grind. Awesome work there, Blizzard! Let those poopsockers have their fun.

border

While I'd like it if I had maybe 15 daily quests, I am a little uncertain about what jacking it up to 25 is going to do to the economy. That's a lot of money for (almost) nothing.

Do 25 dailies even exist at the moment?

border

firex said:
and offhand speed won't really matter until you start getting combat potency anyway, though there are a few early game fast swords you can put in your offhand (like an upgraded drop from mr. smite in deadmines).
Well, I thought the fast offhand was meant to keep your poisons up on a target.

Looking at the talent tree though, it doesn't actually matter what weapon type I use until I actually spec into swords at level 30+.....is this correct? A couple leveling guides I look at said you should get into them ASAP, but I don't really see the point.

Anyone on Daggerspine?

Anyway, I just got my shaman up to 31, and I'm not sure if the class is for me. I'm enhancement now with plans to switch to elemental when I get to a higher level. My main is a pally, and I'm sick of healing and tanking. I just want to stand back and blow shit up. Should I stick with it? I like the versatility and totems and being the only one in my group of friends with a shammy. But I wonder if going with a mage or hunter is the better option.

I guess I'm asking how elemental shamans are late in the game. I really have no knowledge on the subject. Every one I run into is enhancement spec, which reminds me too much of my pally when he was Ret (waiting for shit to proc)

Twig

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
I can barely get 3 or 4 done in a time alloted by boredom; 25 is insane to me.
Yeah, pretty much. At first I did 'em pretty religiously every day. They are easy, and a few of 'em can be done in like 15 minutes. But then you keep doing 'em. Again. Again. Yawn. I'm never going to get my Netherdrake. It's just not worth it. So much time wasted when I could be killing Alliance instead, and most of 'em just take way longer than Blizzard originally deceived me into thinking. Especially those stupid Netherwing quests. Fucking ridiculous!

firex

border said:
Well, I thought the fast offhand was meant to keep your poisons up on a target.

Looking at the talent tree though, it doesn't actually matter what weapon type I use until I actually spec into swords at level 30+.....is this correct? A couple leveling guides I look at said you should get into them ASAP, but I don't really see the point.
leveling, I basically use dual instant poison or crippling poison on the offhand, so a fast offhand is good, but not that important... but yeah, until you get your weapon spec, just go with whatever works for your offhand.

firex

Flesh Into Gear said:
Anyone on Daggerspine?

Anyway, I just got my shaman up to 31, and I'm not sure if the class is for me. I'm enhancement now with plans to switch to elemental when I get to a higher level. My main is a pally, and I'm sick of healing and tanking. I just want to stand back and blow shit up. Should I stick with it? I like the versatility and totems and being the only one in my group of friends with a shammy. But I wonder if going with a mage or hunter is the better option.

I guess I'm asking how elemental shamans are late in the game. I really have no knowledge on the subject. Every one I run into is enhancement spec, which reminds me too much of my pally when he was Ret (waiting for shit to proc)
elemental is a decent spec, but it got nerfed pretty hard in the overall dps aspect in 2.3. The upside is it uses a lot less mana than it used to, but they nerfed lightning bolt and chain lightning when they changed the lightning mastery talent, and the base cast time of each spell. Reducing the cast time on lightning bolt/CL basically reduced the effect of spell damage, and by a pretty significant amount, while 5/5 lightning mastery is still pretty much a necessity for an elemental shaman.

If that all sounds confusing... elemental shaman pre-2.3: 2 second cast time on lightning bolt, 1.5 on chain lightning, lightning bolt dps was very significant but it used up more mana.
post-2.3: 2 second cast time on lightning bolt, 1.5 on chain lightning, less damage but it uses a little less mana.

the overall effect is a big nerf to lightning bolt dps. it sucks, because I wanted to go elemental at 70, too, but it seems like it's just not as good now as it used to be, and for no good reason really. But because it was such a nonsensical nerf, they're going to have to do something to buff elemental dps in the future (possibly giving it a 41 point talent that's actually beneficial) so it may be fixed by the time you're 70.

firex said:
elemental is a decent spec, but it got nerfed pretty hard in the overall dps aspect in 2.3. The upside is it uses a lot less mana than it used to, but they nerfed lightning bolt and chain lightning when they changed the lightning mastery talent, and the base cast time of each spell. Reducing the cast time on lightning bolt/CL basically reduced the effect of spell damage, and by a pretty significant amount, while 5/5 lightning mastery is still pretty much a necessity for an elemental shaman.

If that all sounds confusing... elemental shaman pre-2.3: 2 second cast time on lightning bolt, 1.5 on chain lightning, lightning bolt dps was very significant but it used up more mana.
post-2.3: 2 second cast time on lightning bolt, 1.5 on chain lightning, less damage but it uses a little less mana.

the overall effect is a big nerf to lightning bolt dps. it sucks, because I wanted to go elemental at 70, too, but it seems like it's just not as good now as it used to be, and for no good reason really. But because it was such a nonsensical nerf, they're going to have to do something to buff elemental dps in the future (possibly giving it a 41 point talent that's actually beneficial) so it may be fixed by the time you're 70.

Thanks for the input. I might roll a mage or hunter now and bring out the shaman if it ever gets fixed, which wouldn't suprise me. It's a shame, I should have known the spec wasn't really viable when I failed to a see a single person using it. Oh well, I <3 hunters but there are just too many damn ppl playing them on my server.

firex

well, nobody uses elemental while leveling for the most part because it's not a good grinding build whatsoever. The only way to get any reliable form of anti-pushback is to get 4/5 of a gladiator set. still, I think elemental is probably going to stay the preferred arena spec for most shamans since they get to add burst dps and can watch a healer and help keep them up.

in my case, I just decided that I'll go resto at 70 and build up a good alternate elemental set and use that to grind dailies and stuff.

Lain

TheOneGuy said:
Yeah, pretty much. At first I did 'em pretty religiously every day. They are easy, and a few of 'em can be done in like 15 minutes. But then you keep doing 'em. Again. Again. Yawn. I'm never going to get my Netherdrake. It's just not worth it. So much time wasted when I could be killing Alliance instead, and most of 'em just take way longer than Blizzard originally deceived me into thinking. Especially those stupid Netherwing quests. Fucking ridiculous!

I got my netherdrake in less than a week ( I think it took 4 days, maybe 5) by grabbing all the eggs I saw around while completing the daily quests. Eggs > quests. No limit and alot more of 'em around. Makes getting the Netherdrake alot faster than getting the Manta.

Eric P

i started a blood elf mage last night because i wanted to see their areas.

it's almost too large a space to have to cover on foot at times.

i went with mining and skinning and have already picked up two gold by level 9 with more at the AH

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So leveling a Mage and Lock just now, and what are the standard leveling builds for each, when I last leveled a Lock, Affliction was the way to go, and I remember it being pretty awesome and having pretty much no downtime between mobs. Is this still the case, or has Demonology surpassed it? For Mages I have no idea at all, so any help there is appreciated.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Mage is all about DPS. Fire and burn them down. Some people swear by Frost but leveling Frost is only handy for the gankings you might cop on PVP servers.

Affliction is still the best Warlock build to level in.

Eric P

i have a pure demonology lock at 52 and didn't really have any downtime unless i hadd an add or overestimated my demon's tanking abilities requiring me to burn through my mana.

i would just send voidwalker to tank, hit them with my DoTs and wand them until they died.

firex

with the felguard, if you're really lacking in spell damage gear, you can go demonology at 50 and still kick a lot of ass. Especially because demonology really rewards stacking stam/int if that's all you can get (like if, say, you were questing and not instancing).

Otherwise I would just go affliction because it allows you to keep killing stuff easily even when your voidwalker stops being able to hold aggro, which is usually halfway between upgrades to torment.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Cheers, and one last Lock question, have they nerfed Seduce Nuking much in the last year or so? Used to be so much fun, running around WSG with the damage buff Soul Firing peoples faces off xD

bengraven

Eric P said:
i started a blood elf mage last night because i wanted to see their areas.

it's almost too large a space to have to cover on foot at times.

i went with mining and skinning and have already picked up two gold by level 9 with more at the AH

Yeah, the new starting areas piss me off at how nice they are. :lol I don't see a problem with them improving the starting areas for the other races. And I know people wanted more mailboxes, which is why Silvermoon has like 20 of them, but why not add more to other cities like Orgrimmar? I'm tired of getting lost in a crowd to check my mail by the bank.

Another thing that pisses me off is how nice the gear looks. 1-20 gear in the four new starting areas is 10x better than anything you find up until level 60 in the regular game. Some of those BE knives look so much cooler than any of the blue named gear in regular WoW.

So once you hit 20 and then go off to the "real" world, it's back to wearing brown garbage.

SyNapSe

Ikuu said:
Cheers, and one last Lock question, have they nerfed Seduce Nuking much in the last year or so? Used to be so much fun, running around WSG with the damage buff Soul Firing peoples faces off xD

At level 70, you only see the felpuppy. It's one thing that I was going to complain about here a while back. Pre-BC you used to see people seduce/nuke with the succy, or a lot of Tank-Locks who would use the VW. Now EVERYONE seems to use the felhunter all the time in PvP. Either it's overpowered, or all the other pets are way underpowered anymore.

Suggest a good place for a gnome rogue to quest at level 21
Duskwood looks too scary right now with this Stitches fellow killing me in 2 shots

yacobod

Banned
SyNapSe said:
At level 70, you only see the felpuppy. It's one thing that I was going to complain about here a while back. Pre-BC you used to see people seduce/nuke with the succy, or a lot of Tank-Locks who would use the VW. Now EVERYONE seems to use the felhunter all the time in PvP. Either it's overpowered, or all the other pets are way underpowered anymore.

well given that 95% of warlocks in arena are soul link (usually sl/sl or some go Felguard)

well in arena every warlock starts with a felhunter (unless hes specced felguard)

say in 2v2 arena

if facing a melee/healer team, warlocks will often times summon a voidwalker at the start, as they are much harder to kill, in a lock/healer matchup

if the first felhunter is killed, often times a void will be summoned right after, fel dom

if a lock is running a 2 dps team in 2v2, a felhunter will always be out

spell lock, devour, etc are too good in arena

thats y everyone uses felhunters, it provides them with a lot of utility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom