• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
border said:
Looking at the lockpicking guides for my rogue, I'm pretty frustrated at the half-assed system Blizzard has in place to help us skill-up. There were a couple great lockpick quests in the Blood Elf zone, but everything else is just plain stupid. To go from 100-175 I just have to pick the same box over and over again. And if I hadn't looked up the guide that told me I could do this, I'd be stuck in Org begging for people's lockboxes because it's not even obvious that you can just pick the lock over and over.

Beyond 175 I'm just supposed to lockpick dungeon doors over and over again. Yeesh. Couldn't they come up with something better, and something more readily apparent than this crap? Next to fishing, this has to be the most frustrating profession to skill-up.

Those guides are out dated. Most dungeon doors have an unlock timer. You won't gain pick lock skills everytime you unlock them. Now you gotta go to certain areas, and search for chests in those areas to unlock to level your skill.

At level 25, whats a good weapon for a rogue and where can I get it?

I read that the Talon of Vultros is awesome but the mob its on is rare and takes 21-32 hours to respawn and can be a few different places in Westfall =/

phinious

I have a decked out resto druid in all pvp epics. He also has the full season 2 feral set. I want to sell this character, but I have no idea what the easiest/most reiliable way is. Can anyone help me?

Icy

Banned
phinious said:
I have a decked out resto druid in all pvp epics. He also has the full season 2 feral set. I want to sell this character, but I have no idea what the easiest/most reiliable way is. Can anyone help me?

Sent you a PM.

Bregor

Manick Joe said:
Well aside from my own guild I regularly group up with another for Gruul and have several friends in other farther along raiding guilds that pull me in for Heroics. I may not always be #1 in raids, but the difference in damage is pretty negligible. Here's the report from our Gruul run a few weeks ago.

"Theorycraft" only goes so far.

*EDIT* I originally chimed in just to say solo'ing with daggers is viable, not that I'm the be-all end-all rogue..

544 DPS isn't that great. I was hitting 800-1000 DPS on Gruul regularly with my rogue when I was at that gear level.

Cookie cutter specs become standard for a reason: they've been proven to be the best spec possible for their area of application. For sustained DPS in a raid environment nothing beats Combat Swords right now. Period.

border

DarkAngelYuna said:
Those guides are out dated. Most dungeon doors have an unlock timer. You won't gain pick lock skills everytime you unlock them. Now you gotta go to certain areas, and search for chests in those areas to unlock to level your skill.
Yeah, still a pretty crappy way to make people get levels....

BigJonsson said:
At level 25, whats a good weapon for a rogue and where can I get it?

I read that the Talon of Vultros is awesome but the mob its on is rare and takes 21-32 hours to respawn and can be a few different places in Westfall =/
Mainhand or offhand? Bezel's Basher is a BOE blue that should be on your Auction House. Or you can do the BFD quest for the Outlaw Sabre.

unifin

Bregor said:
544 DPS isn't that great. I was hitting 800-1000 DPS on Gruul regularly with my rogue when I was at that gear level.

Cookie cutter specs become standard for a reason: they've been proven to be the best spec possible for their area of application. For sustained DPS in a raid environment nothing beats Combat Swords right now. Period.

This.

My shaman's guild is just pushing through SSC/The Eye at the moment, and I can push 1100 DPS (enhancement shaman) on various fights.

<3 my melee group.

border said:
Yeah, still a pretty crappy way to make people get levels....

Mainhand or offhand? Bezel's Basher is a BOE blue that should be on your Auction House. Or you can do the BFD quest for the Outlaw Sabre.

Again without the acronyms, I have no idea what BFD is haha

I'm using Buzzer's Blade as mainhand right now, Thornblade or something in offhand

Ashodin

BigJonsson said:
Again without the acronyms, I have no idea what BFD is haha

I'm using Buzzer's Blade as mainhand right now, Thornblade or something in offhand
Blackfathom Deeps. Dungeon in Ashenvale, all the way to the west, on the coast.

Onemic

I currently have a lvl25 rogue that is able to dish out around 50-55 DPS on average(around 80 or so if I garrote them) for my level is that decent?

unifin

Honestly, don't worry about DPS as you level. The margin of error in instances is so large that it honestly doesn't matter if your DPS is razor-sharp or not.

Hell, I leveled my shaman DPSing with sword and board until I got to dual-wield (yikes, i know).

I was a nub. :(

Shoho

Banned
my biggest problem with wow has always been that I cant find a nice guild with decent people.

every guild seem to be raid guilds or super hardcore in some ways, and they will only let lvl 70s!

I just want a guild with some cool people that you can talk to in guild chat and perhaps help each other out once and a while. playing with nice people sure makes the grind less frustrating while lvling:(

Icy

Banned
Shoho said:
my biggest problem with wow has always been that I cant find a nice guild with decent people.

every guild seem to be raid guilds or super hardcore in some ways, and they will only let lvl 70s!

I just want a guild with some cool people that you can talk to in guild chat and perhaps help each other out once and a while. playing with nice people sure makes the grind less frustrating while lvling:(

what server r u on

Shoho said:

Well the game doesn't even really start until level 70. Besides, this isn't aol. If you want a chatroom get off wow :D

Shoho

Banned
Icy said:
what server r u on

im on the european ones. Been playing since launch but have never gotten a character above 23. been playing ravencreast, darksorrow, twillights hammer ect...

used 5 hours today to just browse the guild forums looking for good communities.

I dont get it mate. I used to play starwars galaxies when it came out in 2003. the game had alot of problems but people where so nice. I dont know if it was because that it was mostly older guys who grew up with the old starwars movies, but almost everyone where so nice. people would just walk up to you and start talking and being friendly.

maybe thats why I think its weird. but it really does feel like that lvl 70s dont want anything to do with lowbies in their guilds. they think they just drag them down.

maybe they do. maybe does noobs who expect them to be helped at every quest, and constantly beg for money and constantly ask questions in the guild chat... maybe does people are the reasons why so many hate lowbies.

im not a noob. i know alot about the game. not so much about instances, but I have been playing so long and been browsing the forums and participated in discussions that i know alot about the game.

still i cant find any likeminded individuals to be in a guild with. when i get to 70, all i want is just to do some instances very casualy, and perhaps more often some arenas.

Shoho

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
Well the game doesn't even really start until level 70. Besides, this isn't aol. If you want a chatroom get off wow :D

isnt the point of a MMO to be social and interacte? seems to me that half the enjoyment is playing with others.

Tamanon

Banned
Shoho said:

That's bizarre. Every single guild I've been in, 4 total so far has been a talkative guild that's not hardcore only, and yet still did raiding, you just didn't have to raid. My current guild for the past year and a half or so, I wouldn't dream of leaving, of course it always helps to know one or two people in real life that play. Or in my case....dozens across different servers.:lol

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Shoho said:

Hmm back when I used to play I met a bunch of people who were running guilds as such, helping people raise their new characters, or anyone really, just for fun. Raiding sometimes, etc. Carefree really:p

Shoho

Banned
Tamanon said:
That's bizarre. Every single guild I've been in, 4 total so far has been a talkative guild that's not hardcore only, and yet still did raiding, you just didn't have to raid. My current guild for the past year and a half or so, I wouldn't dream of leaving, of course it always helps to know one or two people in real life that play. Or in my case....dozens across different servers.:lol

thats awesome. its like everyone knows somebody in RL who plays wow. i dont unfortunately.

I think many of the european guilds are quite competitive and less social than americans. particularly where I live in scandinavia.

fallout

DarkAngelYuna said:
I never would have made it to 70 if it weren't for the people I was playing with.

Shoho

Banned
fallout said:
I never would have made it to 70 if it weren't for the people I was playing with.

thats how I feel right now.

I know im going horde...

Back at launch blizz said they would make it possible for US players to play with EU players. I wonder when they are going to keep that promise.

Wes

venison crêpe
Shoho said:
Back at launch blizz said they would make it possible for US players to play with EU players. I wonder when they are going to keep that promise.

They also said Taurens wouldn't need mounts and instead a Plainsrunning ability. Things change for the worse unfortunately :(

Shoho

Banned
Wes said:
They also said Taurens wouldn't need mounts and instead a Plainsrunning ability. Things change for the worse unfortunately :(

yea, sometimes. But you know what mate - I actually think BC changed WoW for the better. In all honesty, I think Blizzard cheated the MMO downfall that usually follows these games after 1 or 2 years.

After the first iderations of honor and battleground I was sure that pvp would always suck. Im still stunned that they actually have gotten it so much more right with arena. the arena system is alot like guild wars. very cleaver. and it works, yes?

thats why I want to keep playing. as long as its good.

I dont see warhammer really being a threat. and Age of conan just looks to damn ambitious. wow came at the right time mate. After lord of the rings took the world by storm, its okay to love fantasy again. and with the hobbit on its way, to fuel the fantasy loving fires for "normal people" I truly think that wow will continue to grow, and not die, like all other mmo games have been doing, 3 years post release. its incredible. its staggering what this game is doing.

its single handedly carrying the entire pc gaming industry on its shoulder. besides valve and their steam services, and a few other good westeren mmos like LOTRO and guild wars, there is nothing out there. WoW is such a big phenomenon. Im ready to pass off my wii and 360, to just focus on this game.

I guess thats why I want to make this game work so bad. I really wanna learn to play it. its been inside waiting for this game since ETSC 2001 and having played in both US and EU beta tests, and been following it ever since. litterly watched hundreds of WoW videos. jesus christ.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
DarkAngelYuna said:
Yea.. at 70! :)
This is bollocks and you know it. Of course the game changes for perhaps the better when you finally hit that end-game but I've seen players quit after a few days of hitting the last of it because they are bored.

However I will say that some of my greatest memories of WoW were creating a new character on a new server and starting up a guild within the first week of the server's life. That guild survived way too long than it should have and it was all merely because of the people I had recruited who never took the game seriously. A simple guild run through Wailing Caverns back then could provide more laughter and relaxed atmosphere than a comedy film.

So I've never played WoW or any MMO - how many hours do you think it would take me to get to lvl 70 if I got WoW?

I've played the hell out of Warcraft 1-3 if that matters...

Weenerz

Banned
Well I reactivated, made a draenei shaman on december 12th, and hit 66 tonight. The 20-60 leveling xp is incredible.

Msg Ubikee on Eonar if you want a nub enhancement shaman to group.

Nikashi

Banned
I have a question about this whole 'trading characters' stuff. Doesn't that mean you trade them every single character on your account, since you're basically just doing an illegal account transfer, or am I missing something?

Nikashi said:
I have a question about this whole 'trading characters' stuff. Doesn't that mean you trade them every single character on your account, since you're basically just doing an illegal account transfer, or am I missing something?
Just because it maybe against their tos doesn't make it illegal. Tos != law.

EekTheKat

The AFK'ers are absolutely ridiculous in battlegrounds. At any given BG about 1/3rd of the team is AFK, making it nearly impossible to win now.

Icy

Banned
Nikashi said:

When you trade characters you arer trading accounts. AS Blizzard will only transfer characters from account to account if the first name, last name and email addresses match. NO match, no transfer.

It is against the TOS. If blizzard sees anyone adveritsing their character for sale/trade they ban the account. There are several communities out there where people do advertise, but most are smart and give anonymous information about their character,etc. The ones who give direct armory links, 99% of the time go banned.

a majority of the time if an email address is changed on an account and a connection IP changes, the account gets flagged and locked. And can only be unlocked once the original owner calls in and faxes some proof of ID documents.

Blizzard generally has not in its history banned gold buyers, and was for a while banning people who purchased power leveling services and was caught. However more recent since the Activision takeover, these power level purchasers have been hit ith 72 hour suspensions. And again, gold buyers are not effected. Howewver the sellers are constantly being caught and banned.

bengraven

DarkAngelYuna said:

That's just stupid. I only know a few hardcore raiders/pvpers. All of the guilds I have been in have been very social as well as interested in endgame shit. It's people like you that turn me off this game sometimes.

And Shoho, if you could play American side, I'd say come to Horde side on Cenarius. We may not win a lot of PvP, but I've met dozens of really cool people to play with. I mean, shit, I met my baby's mama there. :D

bengraven said:
That's just stupid. I only know a few hardcore raiders/pvpers. All of the guilds I have been in have been very social as well as interested in endgame shit. It's people like you that turn me off this game sometimes.

And Shoho, if you could play American side, I'd say come to Horde side on Cenarius. We may not win a lot of PvP, but I've met dozens of really cool people to play with. I mean, shit, I met my baby's mama there. :D
Hey, not my fault the players on your realm couldn't cut it...

Shoho

Banned
bengraven said:

thanks mate. Its a great thing that they got cross realm pvp now with the battlegroups and all.

Im just not sure if I will ever find likeminded players.....:/ I kinda thought about going for perhaps Warhammer online or age of conan in the new year, but I dont know does franchises, im really skeptical about both of them despite what the hype around them says.

bengraven

Shoho said:
thanks mate. Its a great thing that they got cross realm pvp now with the battlegroups and all.

Im just not sure if I will ever find likeminded players.....:/ I kinda thought about going for perhaps Warhammer online or age of conan in the new year, but I dont know does franchises, im really skeptical about both of them despite what the hype around them says.

Lord of the Rings is a LOT less elitist right now. The last time I played it was a fairly pleasant experience. And if you hate the source material, it's easy to forget it if you stay out of certain areas. :lol

Shoho

Banned
bengraven said:
Lord of the Rings is a LOT less elitist right now. The last time I played it was a fairly pleasant experience. And if you hate the source material, it's easy to forget it if you stay out of certain areas. :lol

I bought it at launch. lvled a human to lvl 9 or something and then ran all the way to rivendal(the elf city)... that was weird. just ran past all hostile mobs as a lvl 9.

when i got to rivendal there was no one there... it was like the hole game was dead. the only time I have experienced that also was a while back while trying SWG again... went to my old player city.. a hole city that me and my guild had build from the ground up... completely dead.

a mmo thats a ghost town is freaky and a hollow experience. its like a part of you dies:(

Borys

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Is there a WoW battle chest or some kind of awesome deal out there for starters?

Like this?

wow-bc.jpg

unifin said:
This.

My shaman's guild is just pushing through SSC/The Eye at the moment, and I can push 1100 DPS (enhancement shaman) on various fights.

<3 my melee group.

Alright for that big a difference in DPS I'll give raiding with swords a shot. Now you guys got me wondering about the other rogues in the raid since I was able to keep up or even surpass them with daggers.

So should I go S2 arena for main hand and buy S1 off-hand (take me about 2-3 weeks and I'd have enough arena/honor points) or is there something decent that is either crafted or dropped in Heroic/Kara?

Been PvPing like crazy now that my Draenei Elemental Shaman is 70 and I've got about 15K honor in I think...4-5 days. Going to buy the damage mace first and then pick up the rest of the Gladiator's pieces. I'm in a casual guild and hopefully I'll get to do a Kara or two before school starts back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom