• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

explodet

Orc warlocks have blood fury which increases their attack power/spell damage for a short time (but adds a 50% healing debuff), and their pets do 5% more damage. They're also harder to stun, which ticks off rogues.

firex

Kintaro said:
This because of their racials?

I see...
yeah, the BE racials are crap for a warlock. well, I guess +5 to every resistance is a slight edge... maybe... but not that much of one. but the active racials for undead/orc are way better than mana tap/arcane torrent.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Buggy Loop said:
PVE and ally? She's such a carebear :p

Dude, you have no idea how much leveling in...uh...fuck, where's ...Hillsbrad! No idea how much leveling in Hillsbrad annoyed the shit out of her. :lol

yeah, the BE racials are crap for a warlock. well, I guess +5 to every resistance is a slight edge... maybe... but not that much of one. but the active racials for undead/orc are way better than mana tap/arcane torrent.

Thanks for clarification. :D

bengraven

firex said:
I've really never had a problem handling 2-3 mobs back to back as a warrior. focus all you want on what they don't have, but what they do have is awesome dps that can take out virtually anything they have to kill for quests, without messing with stuff like stealth, and their naturally high HP.

With a Warrior it feels like all I have to do to get rolling is get a crit, and then solo grinding is just a big long procession of mob corpses.

Holy shit, really? Because I'm lvl 67 and the only way I'd ever be able to take more than two without an certain ability that takes 30 minutes to cool down. And I'd be pushing that.

As a warrior, the second more than two enemies attack me, I just step away from the cooldown and accept the fact that I'm about to spawn at a graveyard.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Kintaro said:
Dude, you have no idea how much leveling in...uh...fuck, where's ...Hillsbrad! No idea how much leveling in Hillsbrad annoyed the shit out of her. :lol

Thanks for clarification. :D

Yea, must've been hillsbrad but then she skipped most of stranglethorn vale, which is much worst. Anyway, the idea of pvp is not being the easy sheep target in the field, if you see something red around your area, even if he's doing his own thing minding his own business, you go kill him, cause you dont know if after he's done with his business he wont attack you before leaving elsewhere or if he's waiting till you're busy with a lot of mobs to jump in and finish you, you have to become a wolf :p

Priest class didnt help much either, at least not in those level ranges and spec she had (holy i think?). Up to her, gaf guild will have a lot of low levels, it'd be ideal to lvl in pvp now, can always go level with a bunch of others in the guild in the same area for security.

Kintaro

Buggy Loop said:
Priest class didnt help much either, at least not in those level ranges and spec she had (holy i think?). Up to her, gaf guild will have a lot of low levels, it'd be ideal to lvl in pvp now, can always go level with a bunch of others in the guild in the same area for security.

She was Shadow actually. But usually the Allies that run through Hillsbrad are higher level anyways. Not much she could do even if she did hide.

If she wants to play, she'll play when I tell her I'm playing again. Pretty simple. =)

firex

bengraven said:
Holy shit, really? Because I'm lvl 67 and the only way I'd ever be able to take more than two without an certain ability that takes 30 minutes to cool down. And I'd be pushing that.

As a warrior, the second more than two enemies attack me, I just step away from the cooldown and accept the fact that I'm about to spawn at a graveyard.
the key thing is back to back. I could take 2 at a time leveling fury, and sometimes even survive an add I had no business surviving (and probably wouldn't have as any other class except maybe a rogue blowing all my cooldowns) but it's not like I could charge into a group of 3+ mobs at once and survive unless they're all 4-5 levels lower.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
firex said:
blood elf is the worst warlock race by far. Maybe they don't look as ugly as orcs/undead, but orcs/undead blow them out of the water otherwise.

UD Males make the best looking casters, both in terms of actual looks and their casting animations, and Orcs look like crap :p

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Ikuu said:
and Orcs look like crap :p
Turn it up. Orc Warlocks are the elite version of the class.

Actually I've delved into an Orc love affair recently. Newly created Warrior is an Orc, Shaman I had building up after 2.3 came out was an Orc, I have an Orc Warlock in the mid 30's sitting on another server, and then there's my Orc Hunter who hasn't seen playtime for awhile.

Blood Fury for life.

Ikuu

Orc Warriors can look pretty awesome, but as Casters, they just don't look good in drag :lol

bengraven

firex said:
the key thing is back to back. I could take 2 at a time leveling fury, and sometimes even survive an add I had no business surviving (and probably wouldn't have as any other class except maybe a rogue blowing all my cooldowns) but it's not like I could charge into a group of 3+ mobs at once and survive unless they're all 4-5 levels lower.

Oh, absolutely. I thought you meant you were taking on 3 or more at a time.

In my free time between PvPing and running things on my 70 Draenei Elemental Shaman I think I'm going to continue leveling my Night Elf Rogue, and Dwarf Paldadin. Both are seconds for each class for me. Thinking of making my Paladin Protection if I ever get him up there. Rogue is undoubtedly going Sub at 70. If he ever sees it.

firex

BigJonsson said:
Is there a quick way to get 100 gold for a mount at level 40? lol
I think the easiest thing to do is a combination of:
1) find the more expensive low level cloth for your faction between linen and wool, and farm it
2) farm copper/other low level mats that sell decently
3) AH all of those

it's pretty hard to make 100g starting out if you haven't been selling everything from the beginning, but if you do that you could get the gold pretty fast.

Finaika

I'm a rogue and I'm not crying over patch 2.3.2, in fact I love it because they buffed up sub daggers and a movement increase to shadowstep!

I love shadowstep so sue me :p

Scum

So, I’ve had WoW for a long while but never really got into it because I found it a tad too overwhelming. But I reinstalled it again along with the Burning Crusade expansion which I got yesterday. I’m going to start a Warlock for PvE shinanigans, so do any of you boys & girls have any starting tips for a n00b like me?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hero said:
Shadowstep is a joke of a 41 point talent.
I'd hate to think what you would think of Shaman Elemental 41 point talent then :lol

Scum said:
I’m going to start a Warlock for PvE shinanigans, so do any of you boys & girls have any starting tips for a n00b like me?
Roll a character on a newish High server if possible just so you might have people around you to play with, learn mechanics, shoot the dust, etc. Never buy junk from the vendor, read your spells and abilities properly and experiment. You should be fine.

Eric P

Scum said:
So, I’ve had WoW for a long while but never really got into it because I found it a tad too overwhelming. But I reinstalled it again along with the Burning Crusade expansion which I got yesterday. I’m going to start a Warlock for PvE shinanigans, so do any of you boys & girls have any starting tips for a n00b like me?

if you are planning on going alliance i'm in a noob friendly guild on Lothar and we could give a hand.

explodet

For mages, people are exploring 2/48/11 for raiding, thanks to Icy Veins bumping up DPS at the cost of DPM. The new mana emerald helps with the extra mana used with faster casting and the loss of clearcasting.

I'm sure once the nerds crunch some more numbers we'll hear what the final verdict is.

Hero

speedpop said:
I'd hate to think what you would think of Shaman Elemental 41 point talent then :lol

Roll a character on a newish High server if possible just so you might have people around you to play with, learn mechanics, shoot the dust, etc. Never buy junk from the vendor, read your spells and abilities properly and experiment. You should be fine.

Ele 41 point is pretty lol-worthy too.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Also if you're going to play on a high population server, save all your greens and send them to an alt. You could make so much money by selling them on the auction house whenever you hit 39 and about to buy your mount

Eric P

SteveO409 said:
Also if you're going to play on a high population server, save all your greens and send them to an alt. You could make so much money by selling them on the auction house whenever you hit 39 and about to buy your mount

yeah, i just got my mount last night and after doing light farming for herbs and having done no instances i was able to buy my mount with no additional leg work on my part.

of course the annoyance is that stuff is highly over priced at times, so gearing up is a bit of a pain

Hero said:
Ele 41 point is pretty lol-worthy too.

Yeah I'm an Elemental Shaman but I didn't get the 41-point talent. I'd rather have the extra spell damage to be honest. Getting something else there would be awesome but I don't think it'll happen.

Ashodin

explodet said:
For mages, people are exploring 2/48/11 for raiding, thanks to Icy Veins bumping up DPS at the cost of DPM. The new mana emerald helps with the extra mana used with faster casting and the loss of clearcasting.

I'm sure once the nerds crunch some more numbers we'll hear what the final verdict is.
our mage specced this, and he did absolutely superb dps last night in SSC.

Here's the web stats:

http://wowwebstats.com/esunq3i442jes

I'm the pally (of course). :p

Alex

Scum said:

This:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7017-LightHeaded.html

Plus this:

http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info7032-TomTom.html

Are absurdly good questing mods for new players. My main point of advice: Stay away from the WoW forums. If you have questions on anything you should probably ask friends or ask here.

Alex

Maxrpg said:
our mage specced this, and he did absolutely superb dps last night in SSC.

Here's the web stats:

http://wowwebstats.com/esunq3i442jes

I'm the pally (of course). :p

You guys have some really iffy DPS. Fathomlord is physical damage heaven and you have Hunters and Rogues that are struggling to crack 1000 DPS? I don't know if they've nerfed her since when I ceased, but Vashj will probably be a real problem for you guys if you have lazy DPS classes.

Of course, I'm being an assuming jerk since I know nothing of your guild or it's situation, but BM Hunters can hit 950 raid DPS in AH blues.

I just hate to see people squander opportunity. It's no fun to raid if everyone isn't really going all out. At least to me, all of my fun as raiding on a DPS class was always racing the smarty pants number crunchers on SWStats

border

I have an epic flying mount with both my level 70 characters. Once you have a steady stable of daily quests that you can do it's not that bad to get the money together. Problem is that people don't want to do it unless they can get the money together in a matter of days or a week. Set a goal of something like 100g/day and get it done in a couple months. Do all the daily quests you can, and farm primals if you are short of the 100g.

Several professions have little tricks you can do to turn a profit easily (with the caveat that there is a cooldown). If you are a tailor, specialize in Shadowcloth or Spellcloth. If you are an alchemist, transmute cheap Primal Earth into expensive Primal Water.

firex

I got an epic flyer on my paladin around the time daily quests came out. It was pretty easy honestly... but then again, I was a cheater and went holy spec at 68 and healed instances for the last 2 levels, and I already had more than enough gold for a regular flying mount at 70. It can really help to grind a lot of normal quests and not just dailies, since they will also offer good cash rewards and might even be less frustrating.

Ashodin

Alex said:
You guys have some really iffy DPS. Fathomlord is physical damage heaven and you have Hunters and Rogues that are struggling to crack 1000 DPS? I don't know if they've nerfed her since when I ceased, but Vashj will probably be a real problem for you guys if you have lazy DPS classes.

Of course, I'm being an assuming jerk since I know nothing of your guild or it's situation, but BM Hunters can hit 950 raid DPS in AH blues.

I just hate to see people squander opportunity. It's no fun to raid if everyone isn't really going all out. At least to me, all of my fun as raiding on a DPS class was always racing the smarty pants number crunchers on SWStats
Actually, Vashj is quite a problem already. The DPS isn't fast enough for killing the Naga and the Striders that spawn so we always only have one up. I am feeling that most of our lower dps members have not the enchants they need or the gear required as well.

And our Beast Mastery hunter recently just started coming along, I really think he's going to show up more often now.

And the "rogues" struggling to crack dps - we only have two rogues, one in the melee group, one not. So they're missing out on some buffs.

About the epic flyer - I just got it the other week, and I have the nether drake now. I'm so happy! I'm farming a friend up his mount as well, almost got another 5K gold. Soooo easy to farm when you've got one. :D

Kintaro

Ok, well, I reactivated and made a new Undead Warlock (and a couple of others to fuck around with to find what I like...a Priest and Hunter). The problem with going away and coming back to the game is...and the damn add-ons. I have no clue WTF is what anymore. :lol

Any suggestions for creating a good, simple and clean UI for these classes? And while I'm at it, suggestions for crafts (or is the usual "skinnng + herb/mining and don't forget your FA, Cooking, and Fishing!" thing still in effect?).

Ikuu

Wow, just went back to my Rogue for the first time in years (pretty much stopped playing it just before AQ) and so many awesome changes, especially now I can spam Blind without having to worry about a reagent :D

border

My friend and I have our alts (rogue/hunter) up to 33 now. Is it worth going to Dustwallow to try out the new quests there, or should we level up a bit more?

Eric P

border said:
My friend and I have our alts (rogue/hunter) up to 33 now. Is it worth going to Dustwallow to try out the new quests there, or should we level up a bit more?

are you alliance or horde?

alliance the new quests start w/ 35. i went at 37.

border

I'm Horde. Are there enough quests out there for Horde, or all the additions mostly there for the Alliance? I'm assuming that since the new town is neutral, there will be things to do there for everyone.

firex

Go there at 38. there's enough stuff for 3-4 levels there but 38 is pretty much perfect for starting and finishing the whole zone.

I went there at like 44 on my orc shaman because I just wanted to try out the new stuff... and barely any of the quests were green. most of it was gray. But it's pretty much a "complete" zone now considering it has at least as much stuff as 1k needles or hillsbrad.

Alex

I started to do some account cleaning today. As my partner quit, I'm trying to be concise and transfer around the stuff I want and stick with it. Make a plan, yknow?

I never realized how much shit we've made in the past 3 years.

70 Warrior; S2 Duelist; PvP gear and some tanking blues
70 Paladin; S2 Duelist; PvP only gear
70 Shadow Priest SSC geared
70 Hunter; SSC geared
67 Druid
67 Rogue
66 Mage
54 Mage (Horde
54 Priest (Horde)

Granted, that's between two people, but I guess I know why I've beaten like two console games in the past few years. That also doesn't count the 60 Warlock I sold before BC.

Being that I *hate* my Paladin, I dislike Rogue and Druid, I think I'll go with the account that has the Warrior and the Priest.

Of course, I don't like Warrior either, not in terms of PvP, being a solo Warrior in a BG is a nightmare. I would very much like to take it though and make it into a tank. I've never, ever had a tank in an MMO. Even if it was just heroics it seems like it'd be fun.

I'm trying to loosen up on arenas and just do some Kara/ ZA and largely BGs. I've been trying to drift into very casual play until Lich King. Right now I'm just doin arenas and my PvP dailies.

On a fun note, I do really like the Hunter, and it's such a fucking cool looking Hunter and has quite nice PvE gear, I think I'll xfer it to the account I'm gonna use and just slowly peck away at honor and buy a full set of S2 from the honor vendor when they season swap again.

Basically, this is the result of my trying to go Horde failing... hard. It's just so hard for me to make the time to level, and even if I do I get bored of it. Like I'll have such strong resolve and I'll get to 20 and I'll just think...this is going to be 40 more giant levels of hell before it even starts to get fun again.

The only real regret I have in the game remains keeping my Priest as Shadow after I quit BC raiding and spending my arena and honor points on all of that Shadow gear. Holy fuck Alliance Shadow Priest is just an exercise in frustration in PvP nowadays. Between the chains of nerfs to it and the chains of buffs to it's counter classes, ugh. If you're a good player it's such a fun and such a useful class in PvE, but I've had no fun on it in PvP in a long time.

yacobod

Banned
Alex said:
Of course, I don't like Warrior either, not in terms of PvP, being a solo Warrior in a BG is a nightmare. I would very much like to take it though and make it into a tank. I've never, ever had a tank in an MMO. Even if it was just heroics it seems like it'd be fun.

i dont know, i solo q everyday to do my daily as a warrior, if you are geared, usually a healer or 2 will follow you around and spam heals, i think i'm top in KBs and damage done every time i enter a bg

even if you dont have a pocket healer you should do well imo, most ppl in bgs have shit gear, and you can 3-4 shot them

Alex

yacobod said:
i dont know, i solo q everyday to do my daily as a warrior, if you are geared, usually a healer or 2 will follow you around and spam heals, i think i'm top in KBs and damage done every time i enter a bg

even if you dont have a pocket healer you should do well imo, most ppl in bgs have shit gear, and you can 3-4 shot them

Well, I'm Alliance, and in Nightfall Alliance tends to not have any healers, period. When I was nabbing my gear for my Shadow Priest I was frequently top healer. :lol Nightfall is pretty bad, for Alliance, in my opinion.

I just find Warrior to be frustrating by itself. 110% damage intake for magic, completely dominated by any old snare. It's fun to pop the occasional greenie geared Warlock, but the rest of the time I found it to be pretty boring to play, and too easily controlled.

Last time I played, I got caught in a Druid root, and ate over 5000 damage in it before it broke. It's things like that that make you wanna pull your hair out.

I'm more of a ranged person, anyway. The only time I was ever into melee is when our Rogue had a bunch of Naxx and AQ40 gear and could effortlessly pop clothies. Queue into AV, find the fresh 60 Mages and ambush one shot them. Fun in a deprived sort of way.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Alex said:
Well, I'm Alliance, and in Nightfall Alliance tends to not have any healers, period. When I was nabbing my gear for my Shadow Priest I was frequently top healer. :lol Nightfall is pretty bad, for Alliance, in my opinion.

I just find Warrior to be frustrating by itself. 110% damage intake for magic, completely dominated by any old snare. It's fun to pop the occasional greenie geared Warlock, but the rest of the time I found it to be pretty boring to play, and too easily controlled.

Last time I played, I got caught in a Druid root, and ate over 5000 damage in it before it broke. It's things like that that make you wanna pull your hair out.

I'm more of a ranged person, anyway. The only time I was ever into melee is when our Rogue had a bunch of Naxx and AQ40 gear and could effortlessly pop clothies. Queue into AV, find the fresh 60 Mages and ambush one shot them. Fun in a deprived sort of way.
CONGRATURATION!!

87i2r1c.jpg

yacobod

Banned
Alex said:

spell reflect =D

but honestly not every class is for everyone, to each his own

explodet

You'll need to go to Orgrimmar/Thunder Bluff or Darnassus/Stormwind and look for a Weapon Master - ask a guard for the location - and learn how to use staves from them.

Will cost you about 10s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom