• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
speedpop said:
Tempted to go against my statement and reboot WoW.

I'm not considering it until it gets close to WotLK. And they haven't announced a release date yet. I don't want to burn myself out on the basic WoW gameplay again before the expansion even hits.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah I have those feelings too.. but at the same time, the old server where my characters are is practically dead and for some silly reason I feel like starting afresh.

But then I think of the mountain from 1-70 and I just shake my head.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Don't think of 1-70 as a mountain. Think of it as making the character you always wanted. :)

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
kinoki said:
Don't think of 1-70 as a mountain. Think of it as making the character you always wanted. :)
it made leveling my feral druid so much easier. i knew exactly the gear, stats, and talent points i wanted each step of the way.

bengraven

I still want to get another lvl 70. My warrior hit 70 painfully slow and I'm a bit turned off, but a friend has guaranteed I'll have more fun with every other race than the warrior.

Kletian

Tamanon said:
Yeah, Warriors and healers are the slowest levelers, period. :lol

Warrior and Priest are the slowest. You can level Druids, Shaman, and Ret Paladins rather fast and switch them to a healer once you hit 70 :D

I've leveled 6 70s so far and my warrior was barely slower than any other toon at all. As for healers, anyone who levels as a healing spec its their fault they're going to level slowly.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I leveled my warrior as prot and leveled almost entirely out of running instances. Plus, it helped me get a nice raiding guild once I hit 70. Couldn't have worked out better, tbh. :)

bengraven

Kletian said:
Warrior and Priest are the slowest. You can level Druids, Shaman, and Ret Paladins rather fast and switch them to a healer once you hit 70 :D

Yep. I don't recommend using a Warrior or Priest as your first character. My warrior bored me to death sometimes and kept me from playing for months. it took me a year of playing to hit 70.

And my main on my Ally server was a priest and I ended up quitting her after lvl 8.

That said, I want to get my 16 lock or 25 hunter to 70 so I can bring them to Northrend instead of the warrior.

Rogues and hunters are fun to level

Stealth is the shit when you just need to kill one dude in a cave, sneak past everything, kill the dude, and then stealth again or vanish

bengraven

BigJonsson said:
Rogues and hunters are fun to level

Stealth is the shit when you just need to kill one dude in a cave, sneak past everything, kill the dude, and then stealth again or vanish

My lvl 25 rogue isn't much good against too many mobs though. Vanish works well in that case, but still...

Chris R

Priest is NOT the slowest if you know what you are doing. Shadow spec and you basically never stop. It makes me angry as a mage now leveling a SP at 47... I never have to stop, am at full HP and kill things pretty damn quick :(

Sullen

Shadow priest is one of the fastest leveling specs if you have even the slightest idea how it works, you'll have pretty much 0 downtime. The only thing I've leveled that was on par in terms of speed (as a caster) was certain warlock specs.

Alex

It's a pain in the butt until 40 though, you're the Lord of the Wands. But after 40 it's pretty nice.

If I ever leveled another Priest, I'd make some warped smite spec or something, my biggest complaint about Shadow Priest is I'm sick of Shadow Form. I wish they'd make it look better or just make it a non-whole body encompassing buff.

Sullen

Alex said:
It's a pain in the butt until 40 though, you're the Lord of the Wands. But after 40 it's pretty nice.

Yeah. After 40 it speeds up alot, but it does take awhile to hit full stride (in the 50's somewhere) by that time you basically become a non-stop killing machine. 1-40 goes so much faster these days though with the leveling speed increase.

I was wondering since I have a couple 70s but all horde if its gonna let me make an alliance death knight starting at level 55 on another realm or not.

bengraven

DarkAngelYuna said:
I was wondering since I have a couple 70s but all horde if its gonna let me make an alliance death knight starting at level 55 on another realm or not.

Apparently yes.

Which is a great for making money easier when starting the other faction on another server.

We have some Ally alts we don't play much on Lightbringer, so it will be nice to get someone into Outland and start making money quickly to build the guild up.

Chris R

bengraven said:
Apparently yes.

Which is a great for making money easier when starting the other faction on another server.

We have some Ally alts we don't play much on Lightbringer, so it will be nice to get someone into Outland and start making money quickly to build the guild up.
Whaaaaa? I thought it was 1 DK per server per faction where you have a 50 or higher? Can be different faction if on a PvE server or something like that though.

Breezed through CoT: Black Morass on my first try

We had a great healer which really helped. Basically I tanked all the elites and bosses while a hunter took care of the ads, and a couple DPSers kicked elite ass. Had a bit of trouble with Aeonus (the big dragon) on the first try after our arms warrior accidentally started the final sequence; wound up kicking him (had to do it or the group would totally dissolve sadly...fuckin babies), getting a rogue, and redoing the entire instance. On second try everything went smoothly and were cruised to the end

I got
http://thottbot.com/i28184
sweet

and
http://thottbot.com/i29321
meh

prot warrior
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravenholdt&n=Goinio

I was the only non lv70 in the group lol

Tamanon

Banned
I've found my enhancement shaman is the quickest leveling character I've ever played. And I've done warlock/mage/hunter/paladin/rogue to 70. Once you get water shield at 62, you never stop. NEVER. I've drank maybe 2 waters in 4 levels.:lol

Hey guys, I need some advice.

I'm a lvl 33, and I still feel like a n00b a lot of the time. I don't have any fun with professions so I was hoping to avoid them all together. Problem is, I'm approaching lvl 40 and I want to be able to get a mount on day 1 - and I only have 50g right now (hear I need about 100g).

I'm thinking about buying some gold from http://www.belrion.com/

Is there a better site to use or is this just a bad idea in general? Will it get me banned from WoW and/or my gear get hacked/stolen? I can throw pride out the window but this other shit wouldn't be worth it...

Pick up mining. Run around Elwynn Forest or Durotar (depending on faction) for a few hours mining just copper. You should be able to sell the ore or the smelted bars for 4-6g a stack depending on server economy. You can easily trip your way into 100 gold for almost no effort.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
The Lamonster said:

I'm a lvl 33, and I still feel like a n00b a lot of the time. I don't have any fun with professions so I was hoping to avoid them all together. Problem is, I'm approaching lvl 40 and I want to be able to get a mount on day 1 - and I only have 50g right now (hear I need about 100g).

Is there a better site to use or is this just a bad idea in general? Will it get me banned from WoW and/or my gear get hacked/stolen? I can throw pride out the window but this other shit wouldn't be worth it...

NO!!!

Don't buy gold.

It's a bad idea and a stupid risk (hacking, suspensions, lameness)

If you were on my server I would just give you 100g lol.

Seriously though, you still have a bunch of levels...just sell everything you get from this point on, operate on bare minimum supplies, and gold will add up.

The Lamonster said:

Don't buy gold - not only is that sad, it's dangerous. lv33? That means you should be doing Scarlet Monastery. You can get lots of silk cloth in there, which always sells well on AH. You may hate professions but you're going to need one if you're serious about making money. You seem lazy, so maybe something like skinning will be good for you. You can grind while farming it which makes things go faster. Sell yer stuff on the AH and you should be making good money.

The Lamonster said:

Don't support gold sellers, man.

- Get skinning and mining and sell everything you get on the AH.

- Don't go to the AH to buy new gear every level. I know a lot of people do this when they start playing 'cause they don't know better.

- Loot everything. There's no reason to leave white and gray items on corpses. They're put there so you can sell them and make money. I even see high level players doing this. After telling me how they wish they had a dragon mount.

- If you're going to sell cloth, make sure you're not actually losing money on it. Vendoring a stack of bandages will actually get you more money than selling the cloth on the AH on a lot of servers.

Kletian

Sullen said:
Yeah. After 40 it speeds up alot, but it does take awhile to hit full stride (in the 50's somewhere) by that time you basically become a non-stop killing machine. 1-40 goes so much faster these days though with the leveling speed increase.

My problem with Priest (and any other class really) is that I get bored to tears with any of the 20-40 content. I have a 21 Shaman, a 22 Priest, a 22 Druid, a 21 Hunter and a 31 Priest all puddling around because I can't stand those leveling brackets.

PhoenixDark said:
Don't buy gold - not only is that sad, it's dangerous. lv33? That means you should be doing Scarlet Monastery. You can get lots of silk cloth in there, which always sells well on AH. You may hate professions but you're going to need one if you're serious about making money. You seem lazy, so maybe something like skinning will be good for you. You can grind while farming it which makes things go faster. Sell yer stuff on the AH and you should be making good money.
Thanks for the advice - my main problem is not knowing how much to charge for stuff when I sell it in the AH. Is there a guide somewhere?

Also, Darnassus is way out of the way. It takes a long time to get there. Are there other Auction Houses or is there a quick way to get there (portal or something)?

Twig

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Also, Darnassus is way out of the way. It takes a long time to get there. Are there other Auction Houses or is there a quick way to get there (portal or something)?
Heh. There's an auction house in every major city (Darnassus, Ironforge, Stormwind for Alliance... Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, Undercity for Horde). There are also neutral auction houses in the goblin cities (Gadgetzan, Booty Bay, etc.)

The faction AHs are all connected. The neutral AHs are separate from faction AHs but connected to each other.

Tamanon

Banned
Kinda weird mage talents from WoTLK

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wotlkfiretn6.jpg
http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wotlkarcanedq5.jpg
http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wotlkfrostfq5.jpg

Hot Streak - 3 - Any time you score 3 spell criticals in a row, you have a 33/66/100% chance to gain 100% critical chance on next spell.

Burnout - 5- Increases your spell critical damage from fire spells by 5-25%, but each time you critical you lose an additional 1% of your mana

I might have to switch back to frost for this expansion though:)

Deep Freeze - Stuns the target for 5 seconds, can only be used on a frozen target

Lamonster, I've found if you don't know how much to sell stuff for, do a search for the item and then mark it down from what the lowest is, at least until you get a feel for how quick it'll sell that way, then you can maybe mark it up a bit. If you have Burning Crusade, I'd definitely suggest getting your hearthstone set in Shattrath, because you can then take a portal to any of the cities.

Hazmat

The Lamonster said:

If you don't want to make trips back to one of the cities to use the AH, you should make an alt, walk him to one of the cities, leave him there, and mail everything you want to sell to him.

Hazmat said:
If you don't want to make trips back to one of the cities to use the AH, you should make an alt, walk him to one of the cities, leave him there, and mail everything you want to sell to him.
hmmm interesting. Thanks for the tips, you guys have no idea how much it will help.

Any word on how to figure out a good selling price for items I put in the AH?

IceIpor

Get the auctioneer addon at http://www.auctioneeraddon.com

Press the Start/scan button at the top when you get into an auction and let it compile data for you.

You'll be then be able to tell what the average selling price is for the day (if anybody was auctioning the item.) and if you use it frequently, the average over 3 and 7 days.

Kletian

Either A) do what Tamanon said or

B) download the Auctioneer Addon, which automatically undercuts the lowest price on the AH for you. Though the Addon is a system hogg.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
The Lamonster said:
Sweet, thanks. Addons are great. I wouldn't be able to play this game without Questhelper and Titan Panel.
you'd be surprised. i got to 60 on WoW vanilla before i started discovering various UI mods and addons.

Twig

Banned
The Lamonster said:
Sweet, thanks. Addons are great. I wouldn't be able to play this game without Questhelper and Titan Panel.
Might I suggest FuBar instead of Titan Panel?

I used TP for a long time, but when I recently started from a clean slate with all my mods, I tried FuBar instead. There's something about it... I just like it much better!

Also, LightHeaded (in conjunction with TomTom) is easily my favorite quest mod.

Although the first time I leveled to 60 (before BC), I did it without a quest helper mod and I enjoyed it much more because of that, I think. Still, unless you're a Warcraft nerd O: I guess there's no reason to NOT use a quest helper mod.

Tamanon

Banned
Lightheaded rocks. I didn't have it for my first few 70s but it just makes questing so much quicker when you've forgotten where every single item leveling up is. The fact that it has the built-in GPS and the Wowhead comments from the quest with clickable co-ordinates helps a great deal.

bengraven

Scrow said:
you'd be surprised. i got to 60 on WoW vanilla before i started discovering various UI mods and addons.

Same, except I went all the way until my mid-60's.

Now I'm going to be lost when Lich King comes out and Questhelper isn't updated.

I can't wait; I grew to depend on that shit!

Alex

I dont really need addons for anything but unit frames, and a couple of raid tools. I've never really gotten into the fuss.

Spruchy

LOl i spent 300g + on mana pots, food buffs and flasks on Illidian attempts tonight thanks to our phase 2 FR tanks sucking (Disconnects, WHOOPS DIDNT SEE THE HUGE LAZER, fatal errors, etc.).

But every time we got him past phase 2 we did better then our previous attempts and at the end of the night got him to 21%. He'll be dead on Sunday.

BTW heres my youtube account with some raid videos if you wanna see how boring holy pally is (I love it but it can be boring):
http://www.youtube.com/user/Spruchy

RoS video should be up tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom