• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ferrio

Banned
Sigh, I get in a UBRS group..... i'm the only rogue so I'm alllll set. The leader drops (who has key) and we wait 40 minutes for him to return from queue. He comes back, so we're outside the instance entrance......... continent crashes.... 700 slow moving queue again (50 more minutes).....fuck this

mlhaynes4

Anyone else playing a druid? I really like mine because he can fight well in melee and I can give myself 4 lives w/ my heals.. I know its not one of the superior soloing classes but it works pretty well for me. Went restoration talents to get the instant cast heal and innervate, and now I'm pouring points into feral (mostly cat) b/c I like to solo. This way I can be a great instance healer and a good solo char with the switch of my equipment =P. I'm starting up a rogue now too... I like the cat form of my druid more than anything so I said why not make a rogue? heh.

mlhaynes4

Ferrio said:
Sigh, I get in a UBRS group..... i'm the only rogue so I'm alllll set. The leader drops (who has key) and we wait 40 minutes for him to return from queue. He comes back, so we're outside the instance entrance......... continent crashes.... 700 slow moving queue again (50 more minutes).....fuck this

Ouch... anyone else experience the Maraudon teleport of death yet? Got me 3 times in a row trying to teleport down and hitting the bottom of the falls a couple days ago. Needless to say I wanted to break something... :D

Alex

Well, our server learned to never attempt PvP raids again. So annoying, Ferrio was pretty much on the money there.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Bregor said:
Consecration is simply one the best, if not the best, way for a Paladin to Tank properly at higher levels.

Yep, that's true. Until your consecration releases the poly'd, freeze trapped, sapped, mezzed mobs. Realllllll useful! If you are five maning scholo, for example, or lbrs, you can't just spam consecration all over the place. Sure, you can do it at lower levels, but in higher levels, it's not always possible (or adviseable). A warrior should be main tank, not a paladin. Paladins are inferior to warriors in this respect.

Rorschach

Ok, I'm kinda new at the druid thing, but what's the point of weapons for druid if I'm usually in bear form when attacking and when I'm not, I'm doing mana based attacks?

PS: sucks I can't use swords :|

Even in the very high level places, you can find ways to deploy consecration in a safe area. Certainly, you'll have to be more careful, but it's not too hard. I mean, if you can safely spam IAE in an area, you can use consecrate, it's the same radius.

Keeping sheeped/sapped/hibernated/shackled mobs away from consecrate is all part of the pull.

Scyn

Rorschach said:
Ok, I'm kinda new at the druid thing, but what's the point of weapons for druid if I'm usually in bear form when attacking and when I'm not, I'm doing mana based attacks?

The main reason is for the stats bonus. Next if you're fighting a shaman, you can use it to knock out their totems. On casters use it to interupt if you're out of mana. Umm.... lets see what else...oh if they start running with barely any life, good to just hit them with the weapon...of course druids have that root spell...

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing on the Euro beta for about 2 days & WoW has surprised me, alot more solo-themed questing & play than I'd expected (At least at the early levels.)

I'm seriously considering purchase now.

firex

It's pretty heavily solo oriented all the way up to 60 now. Even on the horde, which doesn't have as many quests.

I'm level 55 on my warlock now and really just waiting for some other people in my guild to get ready for BRD. I've been playing my shaman in the meantime and it's fun, but god did blizzard nerf some of the totems too much. I basically have no use for earth totems except for the occasional tremor, earthbind or strength of the earth totem (this last one is rare yet it's the most consistant for totem buffs) but the 3 basics of searing, healing stream and mana spring (these both use the same totem so it's one or the other for soloing) are still pretty good.

Warlocks are so entirely worthless in pvp unless you go for destruction talents that I may not even use mine at all for pvp when he hits 60. Dispel magic and/or being a healer > warlock (PS: fucking take away cleanse from paladins. being able to dispel 3/5 of all status ailments for 60 mana is bullshit), being a rogue > warlock without a succubus (which is so easy to have happen due to being unable to gather soul shards in pvp), mage > warlock (curse them to make them cast slower? oh well, guess they'll just instacast remove curse to dispel it!). the only classes I have a chance against, assuming all are competently played, are warriors and hunters. I'm ok against rogues if, and only if, I have a succubus summoned. Fear is the only thing I can do and it's only minorly annoying considering it never lasts long against other players.

mlhaynes4

Rorschach said:

The whole point for weapns on druids is stat boosts. For soloing I use a 2h mace that boosts +16sta +16str ... and when I'm doing instances I use +INT +Spirit staff. Same goes for all of my equip when soloing and healing.

Im sure you'd noticed Rors but for others, the dmg on weapons in no way affects ur dmg in shapeshift forms... except for the stats boosts like +str or +attack power

*EDIT* Doh, didnt notice scyn's post.

Bregor

Great Wasabi Man said:
yeah I relaised that when it kep ahappending to me and people I gropued witht he get some dwarfs ear this weekend. That and the pet tapping the mob thing.

Actually, now they have delayed it till NEXT Tuesday, as they decided to upgrade hardware today and wanted to keep downtime to a minimum.

firex said:
It's pretty heavily solo oriented all the way up to 60 now. Even on the horde, which doesn't have as many quests.

I'm level 55 on my warlock now and really just waiting for some other people in my guild to get ready for BRD. I've been playing my shaman in the meantime and it's fun, but god did blizzard nerf some of the totems too much. I basically have no use for earth totems except for the occasional tremor, earthbind or strength of the earth totem (this last one is rare yet it's the most consistant for totem buffs) but the 3 basics of searing, healing stream and mana spring (these both use the same totem so it's one or the other for soloing) are still pretty good.

Warlocks are so entirely worthless in pvp unless you go for destruction talents that I may not even use mine at all for pvp when he hits 60. Dispel magic and/or being a healer > warlock (PS: fucking take away cleanse from paladins. being able to dispel 3/5 of all status ailments for 60 mana is bullshit), being a rogue > warlock without a succubus (which is so easy to have happen due to being unable to gather soul shards in pvp), mage > warlock (curse them to make them cast slower? oh well, guess they'll just instacast remove curse to dispel it!). the only classes I have a chance against, assuming all are competently played, are warriors and hunters. I'm ok against rogues if, and only if, I have a succubus summoned. Fear is the only thing I can do and it's only minorly annoying considering it never lasts long against other players.

Paranoia > rogues. Group pvp is where it's at.

Also, I got a hurricane last night. Yay.

Razoric

Banned
ok does blizzard think they know better than anyone else or are they just too cheap / stubborn to listen... ITS CALLED A FUCKING TEST SERVER, GET ONE AND USE IT JESUS CHRIST.

oh and I would rant this on the wow forum but of course the login server is down, big surprise. =\

Its damn hard being this sexy.

Finally lvl40. :D

morduinn_40.jpg

Rorschach

Scyn said:
The main reason is for the stats bonus. Next if you're fighting a shaman, you can use it to knock out their totems. On casters use it to interupt if you're out of mana. Umm.... lets see what else...oh if they start running with barely any life, good to just hit them with the weapon...of course druids have that root spell...
I figured mainly for stat bonuses. I hadn't thought of the PVP stuff. Makes sense.

mlhaynes4 said:
The whole point for weapns on druids is stat boosts. For soloing I use a 2h mace that boosts +16sta +16str ... and when I'm doing instances I use +INT +Spirit staff. Same goes for all of my equip when soloing and healing.

Im sure you'd noticed Rors but for others, the dmg on weapons in no way affects ur dmg in shapeshift forms... except for the stats boosts like +str or +attack power

*EDIT* Doh, didnt notice scyn's post.
Yeah, I knew that the weapons didn't effect my offensive stats in beast form, hence the question ;b

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I really enjoy soloing the plaguelands for some reason. O_O Been very excited to log on and play lately.

LoL....last night was...interesting. After being told I was too low to do the last collection quest for Reclaimers inc in a group, I soloed it with few problems. Yet while soloing it I ran across some stingy asshats. One rogue (43), every time I bit off more then I could chew would fade away and wait to see if I died, then the one of the few times I couldn't get out fo being jumped by 2 or more 39 lvl mobs (I'm 37) I asked a 37 mage and a 37 hunter for help. They just stood there and literally watched me get my ass kicked. after I dies they attacked the mob it turend towards them and they ran.

odd thing is I've been f'ed like that with horde around the horde players seem to help me more then alliance do....ass hats.

firex

Son of Godzilla said:
Paranoia > rogues. Group pvp is where it's at.

Also, I got a hurricane last night. Yay.
for groups maybe. I made catseye goggles for solo and my shaman's got his alch high enough for the elixir, so I'll stack those 2 if I'm not in organized group pvp (though that's what I really want to do). felhunter is so garbage overall, but I'm going to try it against paladins and/or shamans at 60 since I hear it can make a big difference against them. not much I can do to fight a shaman really... tried it tonight, against a shaman 2 levels lower than me in a duel and I lost pretty easily even though I tried to use all the weaknesses of the class and drain his mana. maybe if drain spells and fear had a better range... but eh, this class is just too weak in 1v1 pvp right now. mages can gear up for similar hp and be a lot better pvp character.

of course, I'm getting back into the pvp as my shaman and it's fun... I got into a pretty cool fight with a level 35 paladin on the boat that goes from ratchet to BB, then he and some hunter killed me and jumped into the water to avoid guards... and then a few minutes later I killed the hunter 3 times in a row for payback (I fucked up and hit reincarnate instead of release so I had 10 mins of rez sickness to sit through). so fun playing this class in pvp, and they're not so great in pve raids. so I guess my raid guy is my warlock, my pvp guy is my shaman, and my "making it so nobody can bitch about me playing only the fun classes" guy is going to be the troll priest I'm making.

firex

MrCheez said:
I really enjoy soloing the plaguelands for some reason. O_O Been very excited to log on and play lately.
I love the atmosphere and story in these zones, but damn it's hard atm on my level 55 warlock. It was hard in beta even at 60 for my shaman, and that wasn't doing the elite quests (of course, there were like 10 quests there in beta).

Ikse

I think I'm gonna go Priest for the EU version. I had my heart set on Rogue, but there are simply too many of them. I was in Deathknell yesterday, and some newbie asked what everyone is going for retail, and they all went UD Rogue, literally 20 or so players said that one after the other. It was disturbing.

Priest was always going to be my alt, but after this, I might reconsider and make it my main

MrCheez

Priest is such a great and rewarding class, though soloing isn't the easiest. Doable of course, but slow. Still an enjoyable class, though. And shadow priests rock in pvp :)

MrCheez

Ikse said:
Undead or Troll Priest : That's the decision...

Undead have better racial traits and race-sepcific priest spells, but Trolls are far less-played and the coolest race in the game.

So... troll! ;)

MrCheez said:
Priest is such a great and rewarding class, though soloing isn't the easiest. Doable of course, but slow. Still an enjoyable class, though. And shadow priests rock in pvp :)

Shield, Pally? With what mana?
Heal, Pally? With what mana?
Win, Pally? With 3 mobs and 3 DoTs on you?

:D

I will say that questing solo with my Priest has made me very good at WoW's PvE. I started a Rogue alt, and found myself just FLYING thru mobs, (being twinked with some green gear couldn't have hurt).

Unfortunately, Priests are in the same boat as Mages and Warriors in that they have no freebie mount, and no skill that can make for a reasonable faxsimile, (dinged 40 today from excellent RFD, SM, and STV runs, yet still sit at only 33g).

Bregor said:
You're not bitter, are you?

It's 50/50 up to 3 levels above me. Half the time they die desperately, the other half they fight defensively to buy time till their screaming for help in /3 brings someone from nearby to help. ;)

nataku

Wooo... love it when someone tells me that I can't use my pet in an instance. Was doing UBRS and they tell me to ditch the pet... I wasn't even allowed to use it while fighting. I've heard there are some minor pathing issues up there (though I've personally never seen them), so dismissing it when your trying to sneak by mobs is common sense, but saying I can't use it at all? Time to leave that bunch of idiots. Hate it when people tell me how to play my class.

Monk

Banned
He says he is not getting good dps. Wait till tuesday, he will really give it up. Meanwhile i am satisfied with my pally.

But they have seriously become harder to use in later levels. It actually requires what they call "skill" at lvl 54. You have to constantly switch auras too now, it shows how much i suck now :(.

Alex

I'm not even sure what I want anymore. Been class hopping like mad. Ultimately, what would be ideal for me is the end game scope of Priest.

But, due to the overly casual nature, and oddball soloist focus of WoW, playing levels 1 through 59 as a skewed "Warlock" isn't really to my tastes. The entire concept of a Shadow Priest goes against what I would roll a Priest for typically. Which is sad considering it's always been my favorite.

I want something a little more support-esque for my duo, and something I'm more familiar with handling, so I may reroll a Paladin.

They need to put Bards in WoW, although I think I may be the only one who enjoys them...

Monk

Banned
Basically pallys have the next lowet dps of anyclass nest to the warrior. If you can get into a group its great, but when you are solo grinding, it it terrible. Sure you can take on orange elites relatively comforatbly, but it takes an ass long time to do it.

Alex

I play in a permanent duo, so it's difficult for me to find a very comfortable position on Priest was my main point (although I wouldn't roll Shadow either way). Sorry for not being clear.

Malakhov

Banned
I am gonna start a priest very soon with my friends when they start alts and what I'll do is roll shadow priest and then in the end game roll as holy. That's the way to do it imo.

Right now I've started an orc warrior and I'm trying to catch back my friends with him. Yeah I know, warriors are gimps, but they are actually in demand in the end game and I always loved warriors.

Monk

Banned
Is the other guy using a high dps class? If so, go for it, a pally combined with a high dps class like a thief own hard.

But a couple of tips:

*screw stamina gear, if you use shields and stuns properly, you wont have a problem with hp.

*You WILL need spirit, in long fights you wont believe how useful spirit can be. Say you heal twice to get yourself back to full life, by the time you need to use a shield you would have recovered enough for another heal plus the mana for the shield.

Well thats my experience thus far.

Monk

Banned
Malakhov said:
I am gonna start a priest very soon with my friends when they start alts and what I'll do is roll shadow priest and then in the end game roll as holy. That's the way to do it imo.

Right now I've started an orc warrior and I'm trying to catch back my friends with him. Yeah I know, warriors are gimps, but they are actually in demand in the end game and I always loved warriors.

Good luck to you mala. A good priest and a good warrior are hard to come by. I actually met a warrior that refused to tank and and priest that refused to heal. Seriosuly what is wrong with people today?

Alex

A Mage, I figured that'd work well. I duo'd with his Paladin on my Rogue which is currently my highest parked at 52, and yeah, thats probably one of the best combos in the game

But eh, Rogue just wasn't as satasfying to me as it is for many others. Though I'm missing that stealth button.

I think I'd be good for my tastes with typical Eagle gear build, I'm too hard coded to be anti-spirit, and I like big numbers for HP and MP, haha. It's an affliction to be sure.

"a warrior refused to tank and and priest that refused to heal. Seriosuly what is wrong with people today?"

What the fuck? Although, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I got chewed out in an instance for not burning all my MP into Shadow spells despite being the *only* healer. Yeah, I hearthed. I don't have time for this shit.

Malakhov

Banned
Monk said:
Good luck to you mala.

Monk said:
A good priest and a good warrior are hard to come by. I actually met a warrior that refused to tank and and priest that refused to heal. Seriosuly what is wrong with people today?
Unbelievable :lol
Right now off the bat I can tell you that I'm going full protection with my warrior. Anyways, in the high end instances if you aren't protection specced with a one handed weapon and a shield, you aint getting a group! I know my damage won't be that great but all I wanna do is get all the freaking mobs to hit me and take the damage for the group :)

Alex

I loved my FFXI WAR/NIN combo (though I didn't take it up as high as I'd like), and every time I party up with a good Warrior in an instance, I wanna be one, but I just know the other facets of the job would drive me nuts. Especially if the class hasn't recieved a major overhaul by Battlegrounds.

I'm just not cut out for damaging classes, be it melee or glass cannons. I like support and tanking.

Monk

Banned
Malakhov said:
Right now off the bat I can tell you that I'm going full protection with my warrior. Anyways, in the high end instances if you aren't protection specced with a one handed weapon and a shield, you aint getting a group! I know my damage won't be that great but all I wanna do is get all the freaking mobs to hit me and take the damage for the group :)

I hope you get a good group. I have a group with a thief, 2 pallys(1 me), a warrior and a priest. And the fact that they are competent makes it a shitload more enjoyable. Try and find yourself a group like that, you wont have anything really to complain about after that. :)

MrCheez

Don't be afraid to try Shadow Priest and then just respec to holy if it's not your thing. :)

The thing I love about Shadow Priest, is you have something to DO when your group is facing easy encountes. Their lives wont always be in danger - there are many times where you're just cleaning up to get to the hard stuff. During this time you can lay out some mean DPS and keep yourself busy.

A holy priest will heal better than a shadow priest, but a shadow priest will still heal better than a shaman, paladin, or druid. Being the second best healer in the game is just fine with me. =P The problem is, many people assume shadow priests won't or can't heal just because of the focus of their spec. But if you are a good player and know wtf you're doing, you won't have problems. :)

But really, if you guys who are playing priests will have constant groups, holy is not a bad choice. The two big reasons to go shadow are soloing and PvP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom