• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaco

Wait so if my RAF account hits 60, he'll have another lvl to gift? He's stuck at 59, I was too scared to hit 60 with him.

As for going broke and RAFing, I would take mining/skinning or herb/skinning on the dual boxing accounts. Then sell the mats if you find that you are going broke by leveling so fast. Skinning is super easy to keep up, but you have to keep a close eye on mining and herbalism, as you can level out of the zones rather quickly. My current warr/pally combo is on track with their professions, so I should have a nice profit after all is said and done.

Kweh

My WoW launcher window just updated itself and when it reloaded it briefly showed the WotLK logo, but it's reverted back to the Harvest Festival one now, anyone have the same?

Epix

How does RaF work?

If I send the email to someone and they sign up for an account I get a free month and a Zhevra mount, right?

Does my account get the mount or does the character I'm using to level with my friend get the mount?

What level do I have to be to use the mount?

Now if I start a level 1 character with them how do the free level ups work?

Do I get them or does he?

What are the restrictions on applying them to the characters?

Weenerz

Banned
Epix said:
How does RaF work?

If I send the email to someone and they sign up for an account I get a free month and a Zhevra mount, right?

They have to upgrade from a trial account to retail for the free month, and for the mount they also have to pay for 2 months of service.

Does my account get the mount or does the character I'm using to level with my friend get the mount?

Your account gets the mount, you pick the character that gets it.

What level do I have to be to use the mount?

Level 60 with the 150 riding skill

Now if I start a level 1 character with them how do the free level ups work?

For every two level the friend account gets, they can grant a free level to any toon on the main account that is lower than the friend account. So basically, If your friend account is lvl10, any character on the main account under 10 can get a free level if the friend grants it to you. The person getting granted the level must be lower level.

Do I get them or does he?

You get them

What are the restrictions on applying them to the characters?

Already answered.

Weenerz

Banned
Yea the patch will be massive, so they start preloading it early. It will be on the PTR for a month I'm guessing. The last patch before TBC was on there for a while and was pretty big as well.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Weenerz said:
Yea the patch will be massive, so they start preloading it early. It will be on the PTR for a month I'm guessing. The last patch before TBC was on there for a while and was pretty big as well.

I don't think it'll be on PTR for a month. WAR comes out soon and Blizz wants to head them off. 3.0 alone, without the rest of LK, could do it.

Weenerz

Banned
Blizzard isn't worried about WAR :lol

WoW has 11 million people, even if 10% of their subscribers leave WoW for WAR, they will still be making way more than any other game out there. The way Blizzard has always run their games is they release them when they are done, never before.

commish

Weenerz said:
Blizzard isn't worried about WAR :lol

WoW has 11 million people, even if 10% of their subscribers leave WoW for WAR, they will still be making way more than any other game out there. The way Blizzard has always run their games is they release them when they are done, never before.

That's how leaders are knocked off - ignoring their competition because they are on top and "can't be defeated." You can find about 9 billion examples of this in the business world. Blizzard is a business - 10% of 11 million is $16.5 million in revenue per month (assuming $15 a month, for the sake of argument). Pretty sure Blizzard isn't going to ignore a potential $200 million dollar a year loss.

I don't think they'll lose 10% however, or even close to it, but I think it's pretty naive to assume that blizzard has its head in the sand and is ignoring everything else in the market. Why not help crush WAR from the start? Purely anecdotal evidence, I know, but literally everyone I know who is still playing wow is going to try WAR upon release. Why wouldn't blizzard try to stop them before they even leave by releasing 3.0? Just makes sense to me.

Personally I think WoW has nothing to worry about, 3.0, lk, or neither. Once WAR was moved up, I knew it wasn't going to threaten WoW.

Anyway, I'm tired of downloading LK patches. Never ending....

Epix

commish said:
That's how leaders are knocked off - ignoring their competition because they are on top and "can't be defeated." You can find about 9 billion examples of this in the business world. Blizzard is a business - 10% of 11 million is $16.5 million in revenue per month (assuming $15 a month, for the sake of argument). Pretty sure Blizzard isn't going to ignore a potential $200 million dollar a year loss.

I don't think they'll lose 10% however, or even close to it, but I think it's pretty naive to assume that blizzard has its head in the sand and is ignoring everything else in the market. Why not help crush WAR from the start? Purely anecdotal evidence, I know, but literally everyone I know who is still playing wow is going to try WAR upon release. Why wouldn't blizzard try to stop them before they even leave by releasing 3.0? Just makes sense to me.

Personally I think WoW has nothing to worry about, 3.0, lk, or neither. Once WAR was moved up, I knew it wasn't going to threaten WoW.

And as a business Blizzard has to weight the chances of losing $200M a year of revenue to WAR vs. the potential losses of rushing a patch before it's ready. Whichever side is less, wins.

So yeah, that PvE -> PvP realm transfer kinda came out of nowhere. I've got some characters on PvE servers that I wouldn't mind moving if we could get a GAF strong guild somewhere. Now, we don't have to worry about stupid restrictions.

commish

Epix said:
And as a business Blizzard has to weight the chances of losing $200M a year of revenue to WAR vs. the potential losses of rushing a patch before it's ready. Whichever side is less, wins.

I'm fairly certain over a million people wouldn't quit wow simply because of a bug in a patch.

Woohoo

Managed to get some new gear raiding this week -

Swifsteel Bludgeon dropped off BT trash
Insidious Bands dropped off Gorefiend
Blade of Infamy dropped off Anatheron :D

I'm a swords rogue but the bludgeon just looks so damn cool :p

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
PvE -> PvP transfers?

FUCK YES!

Hell. It's about time.

I'll be transferring a 62 Shaman and 65 druid.

The Lamonster said:
So I just reached Exalted status with Darnassus. Besides the 20% discount, what other benefits do I get?
Darnassus quests will now give spillover to better factions now. Awesome!

Also I seriously doubt Blizz is at all concerned with WAR. The people they lose to that game are not the type of people who would come back to WoW by anything done by Blizz themselves. Sure, plenty of people will give it a shot, but the game is so amazingly unpolished that it can basically be used as a fucking ad for WoW at the moment.

Nikashi

Banned
Yay! 150+ horde on my server (Deathwing) just raided IF and we pwned King Bronzebeard :D (Youtube link forthcoming after the weekend)

Does anyone know how you unlock Death Knights in retail yet? Will people with say a 55+ horde only be able to make horde Death Knights? I have tons of 70 horde but I want an alliance Death Knight.. do I need to start leveling an alliance just to unlock it on their side?

Nikashi

Banned
DarkAngelYuna said:
Does anyone know how you unlock Death Knights in retail yet? Will people with say a 55+ horde only be able to make horde Death Knights? I have tons of 70 horde but I want an alliance Death Knight.. do I need to start leveling an alliance just to unlock it on their side?

Yes, exactly. You need to have a level 55 character of the faction you want to play, if you want to roll a DK of that faction.

Okay, another newb question: I need friends to play with. How do I find a popular guild on my server (Stormscale) who will accept a lvl 52 and isn't just all lvl 70's?

On the same note, how does the 'looking for group' thing work?

commish

The Lamonster said:
Okay, another newb question: I need friends to play with. How do I find a popular guild on my server (Stormscale) who will accept a lvl 52 and isn't just all lvl 70's?

On the same note, how does the 'looking for group' thing work?

It'll be hard to get into a "popular" guild that is established if you are just 52 unless you know someone in the guild (or can make friends with people in the guild). But if just want a guild to level and play with, then just make a post on your realm's forums and say as much, or join the looking for guild channel in WoW itself.

As for the looking for group thing, just push the button and its pretty self explanatory. Just select what you want to group with, and people who are looking to do the same will contact you, or you can select "looking for more" and see what people want to do.

CassSept

commish said:
I don't think it'll be on PTR for a month. WAR comes out soon and Blizz wants to head them off. 3.0 alone, without the rest of LK, could do it.
You know, content patches are usually on PTRs for more than just week. I remember 2.4 PTR lasted for 2.5 months or so
Between rushing content patch, which still has totally unbalanced and unpolished talents trees, and waiting one month for it, it's obviously logical that second option is better

ManaByte

Gold Member
commish said:

Launching a major patch at the same time of WAR is stupid, because NOTHING will stop the WAR hype and the patch will be drowned in it.

Instead they'll let WAR launch, patch 3.0 in October, and then unleash Lich King in November. In December they'll be counting their money while laughing at WAR consolidating servers.

Kweh

What's the tactic to levelling a Paladin? Mine is currently only level 22, but at the moment i use Seal of Command and Judgement every time it's up, rinse and repeat, is that correct? I seem to be going OOM every 3-4 mobs.

commish

ManaByte said:
Launching a major patch at the same time of WAR is stupid, because NOTHING will stop the WAR hype and the patch will be drowned in it.

Instead they'll let WAR launch, patch 3.0 in October, and then unleash Lich King in November. In December they'll be counting their money while laughing at WAR consolidating servers.

You're insane if you don't think the launch of the new patch wouldn't steal some of WAR's thunder. People will want to play with their new abilities, get achievements (I think this is coming in patch), level new profession, etc. I'm loving beta not because of any new Lich King content, but just because of my pally's new abilities.

But really, we are arguing over things that are impossible to answer, so enough of that. I don't give two shits about WAR and I'm content to fart around WoW/LK until LK is released.

What's the tactic to levelling a Paladin? Mine is currently only level 22, but at the moment i use Seal of Command and Judgement every time it's up, rinse and repeat, is that correct? I seem to be going OOM every 3-4 mobs.

Um... pretty much it :p Welcome to leveling the most boring class. However, the next patch will make things a lot better.

border

They've released the opening cinematic and are handing out beta keys like they were candy......BlizzCon is weeks away and a major content patch is probably not far behind. How can you come to the conclusion that they aren't engaged in a campaign to undermine WAR?

Launching 3.0.2 on the same day as WAR probably would be stupid, but it's not even worth discussing since it's obviously not going to happen. They aren't even done tuning spells and talents on the beta yet.....it's way to early for all that stuff to go live.

ManaByte

Gold Member
border said:
They've released the opening cinematic and are handing out beta keys like they were candy......BlizzCon is weeks away and a major content patch is probably not far behind. How can you come to the conclusion that they aren't engaged in a campaign to undermine WAR?

I never said that, so stop putting words in my mouth. I said Blizzard is smart enough to know to not release a patch or expansion the same time as a major competing game release. It never worked for SOE, and Blizzard is smarter than that.

commish

ManaByte said:
I never said that, so stop putting words in my mouth. I said Blizzard is smart enough to know to not release a patch or expansion the same time as a major competing game release. It never worked for SOE, and Blizzard is smarter than that.

How on earth can you compare anything SOE has done to WoW?

ManaByte

Gold Member
commish said:
How on earth can you compare anything SOE has done to WoW?

Because SOE is the only MMO company dumb enough to release an expansion to try to combat a competitor's release.

Blizzard KNOWS some of their players will go try WAR, and just like AOC, a large percentage will come right back. WAR releases this week, so those players will get their free month and maybe an additional one and come back to WOW just in time for Lich King to launch and get them hooked.

WAR will pull some WOW players, sure, but you won't see the major uber guilds switching over. Sure, you'll find FOH in WAR (and most other games) but WOW will still be their primary game. I'm in the largest Alliance guild on Stonemaul, and we have maybe five people going to play WAR right now and that's out of nearly 500 ACTIVE players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom