• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
Installing the PTR is taking just as long as downloading. sheesh.

Weeee, just realized stop hitting refresh on the character copy page, log out and log back in to make copies:lol

Well, I finally hit 70 for the first time on my Warrior and am overwhelmed with options. I still only in Nagrand, I might just keep doing quests to make up some $$$ for my epic I guess.

OriginX

My warlock just dinged 68 and I'm still stuck at about +390 Shadow Damage. For raids, I need 800+ for my guild with 8000+health and 7000+mana. I should be able to reach the health and mana requirements, but the shadow damage I'm worried about. What instances should I run to get some decent gear to help me out with this? I've been socketing gems in all my blues, but still I'm probably still only getting +30max with the gems. Any suggestions?

s6lhqe.jpg

It was meant to be.

firex

OriginX said:
My warlock just dinged 68 and I'm still stuck at about +390 Shadow Damage. For raids, I need 800+ for my guild with 8000+health and 7000+mana. I should be able to reach the health and mana requirements, but the shadow damage I'm worried about. What instances should I run to get some decent gear to help me out with this? I've been socketing gems in all my blues, but still I'm probably still only getting +30max with the gems. Any suggestions?
tailored epics + heroic epics + a pvp epic weapon or even just one of the level 70 blues should help go a long way with that. Plus then you will enchant those items.

Tamanon

Banned
ZOMG my hunter is getting a Kurzen!

And WotLK hits November 13th according to an ad Blizz put up on Wowhead. I expect the annoucement tomorrow.

Kweh

Since the PTR installs to a different directory, is there an easy way to copy across my configs (eg keybindings) without having to set them all up manually again?

Kletian

Ripclawe said:
Waiting for the Core hound Kur :lol

http://i35.tinypic.com/rus65y.jpg

Haha I knew there'd be Kurken lines.

I'm debating between this guy and the Green Corehound for my hunter. These guys are far cooler than Dvilsaurs.

Speaking of which, what are all the other BM Hunters thinking of going with in the xpac as far as their stable is concerned. Personally I'm looking at a Core Hound, Saberworg, and the Red and Black firefly in southern Zangarmarsh.

OriginX

firex said:
tailored epics + heroic epics + a pvp epic weapon or even just one of the level 70 blues should help go a long way with that. Plus then you will enchant those items.

Any opinion on the armor from Halaa in Nagrand using those research and battle tokens, seems like their is some decent gear in there, but I don't want to waste my time grinding Halaa dust if I'm just going to replacing it at 70 anyway. I also have about 20 spirit shards that I can trade in at Stonebreaker, I saw a decent hood in there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Now that the expansion is coming out so soon, I might stop PvP and focus on getting the money for an Epic Flying mount.

On my main (week old 70 Gnome Rogue), I dropped Skinning in favor for Engineering. I found that Skinning is pretty useless in Outlands, as only rare drops bring in any money, and even then I make money faster by doing dailies or mining. Now my Engineer is pimping out his Deathblow X11 Goggles and a ROFLcopter. Can't wait to see the bikes in WotLK.

Come WotLK, I'll probably train Mining and Skinning on a Death Knight so I can drop Mining on my main and give him Leatherworking.

TheExodu5

Banned
OriginX said:
Any opinion on the armor from Halaa in Nagrand using those research and battle tokens, seems like their is some decent gear in there, but I don't want to waste my time grinding Halaa dust if I'm just going to replacing it at 70 anyway. I also have about 20 spirit shards that I can trade in at Stonebreaker, I saw a decent hood in there.

In my opinion, I'd do instances to grind rep for the big factions (except I think Shatar requires Tempest Keep) so you can buy the blue level 70 PvP gear. Not sure what it's called for classes other than Rogue, but my gear was labelled Opportunist. Pretty damn good gear for dinging 70.

firex

OriginX said:
that stuff sucks honestly. The best thing to get from Halaa is the 18 slot bag. I forgot about the blue pvp set, but that's good to get even if it isn't as good for pve as crafted epics/pvp epics.

Weenerz

Banned
Kletian said:
Haha I knew there'd be Kurken lines.

I'm debating between this guy and the Green Corehound for my hunter. These guys are far cooler than Dvilsaurs.

Speaking of which, what are all the other BM Hunters thinking of going with in the xpac as far as their stable is concerned. Personally I'm looking at a Core Hound, Saberworg, and the Red and Black firefly in southern Zangarmarsh.

You're in luck, they are opening 2 more stable slots in WotLK, they cost 50g and 100g. 5 pets total now, woohoo!

mollipen

Has something happened in the last week that would account for new members / rolls? I ask because, all of a sudden, there are like A BILLION sub-lv 15 characters on the server I'm all. A decent amount of them seem to be brand new to the game as well (from the huge slew of newbie questions being asked - just last night I had to explain to somebody how flight points work).

Kletian

Weenerz said:
You're in luck, they are opening 2 more stable slots in WotLK, they cost 50g and 100g. 5 pets total now, woohoo!

Oh well in that case, I'm adding a Tundra Worm and either the Blighthound or my Armored Pig I've been using since level 30 :p

Though, the jade owl, black and green warpstalker, rarespawn Chimera, and the black and white Wind serpent are pretty tempting as well

Too many new awesome pets!

Weenerz

Banned
shidoshi said:
Has something happened in the last week that would account for new members / rolls? I ask because, all of a sudden, there are like A BILLION sub-lv 15 characters on the server I'm all. A decent amount of them seem to be brand new to the game as well (from the huge slew of newbie questions being asked - just last night I had to explain to somebody how flight points work).

Probably a ton of recruit a friend people.

Weenerz

Banned
Gamestop down the street. When TBC came out, I got there 2 hours before opening and there was already 200+ people and by the time the store opened, there was over 350 people. I can't wait for the crowds.

wow

I get home from being away from WoW for a few days and I see that WotLK has a release date, and its earlier than expected

awesomeness!

hopefully my guild can down illidan before then

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Ripclawe said:
SO where are you ordering lich king? I need it on November 13th.
I'm just going to walk into wal-mart at midnight and pick it up. Not going to get the CE so no need to order it. They will have plenty just like when BC came out. And no lines, unlike Gamestop.

mollipen

RE: the above loading screen.

Jesus... as if the BEs needed to be made any cuter. Curses... if only there was a way that one could make a BE character yet somehow not be part of the Horde.

Windu

Shacknews - Pentagon Researcher Details Hypothetical WoW-hatched Terror Plot said:
A researcher working for the Pentagon last week presented to members of the US intelligence community a hypothetical scenario that would see foreign militants using World of Warcraft to evade spy agencies in the planning of a terrorist plot.

Dr. Dwight Tovas of the National Defense University presented slides featuring WoW maps and chat logs to illustrate how a group of terrorists might use the global, unmonitored MMO to communicate in secret.

Says Wired of the scenario:
In it, two World of Warcraft players discuss a raid on the "White Keep" inside the "Stonetalon Mountains." The major objective is to set off a "Dragon Fire spell" inside, and make off with "110 Gold and 234 Silver" in treasure. "No one will dance there for a hundred years after this spell is cast," one player, "war_monger," crows.

Except, in this case, the White Keep is at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. "Dragon Fire" is an unconventional weapon. And "110 Gold and 234 Silver" tells the plotters how to align the game's map with one of Washington, D.C.

A February report from the Director of National Intelligence notes that the US intelligence community is already looking to perfect software that would automatically detect suspicious behavior within virtual worlds such as World of Warcraft.

But some are skeptical of whether the policing of MMO games is a high priority for national security.

"Could terrorists use Second Life? Sure, they can use anything," said intelligence analyst Steven Aftergood. "But is it a significant augmentation? That's not obvious. It's a scenario that an intelligence officer is duty-bound to consider. That's all."

Link
30i9h7r.jpg

Magnus

"A February report from the Director of National Intelligence notes that the US intelligence community is already looking to perfect software that would automatically detect suspicious behavior within virtual worlds such as World of Warcraft."

:lol :lol

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I love the new login screen myself.

The dragon you see here actually flys in from the background, lands, roars with a nice glowing frost/fire effect, then flys away again.

login3.jpg

ManaByte

Gold Member
Mr Pockets said:
I love the new login screen myself.

The dragon you see here actually flys in from the background, lands, roars with a nice glowing frost/fire effect, then flys away again.

Watch the CG intro, and THEN look at the login screen :)

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Wow Stormwind harbor is massive...lol.

I was expecting a dock or two.

Very nice scenery. Tooks some shots if anyone wants me to posts if you can't get on PTR yourself for some reason.

Ripclawe

Banned
Everyone always talks about how monumental a money generator World of Warcraft has been for Blizzard, but here's a figure you don't hear much about: How much does WoW actually cost Blizzard to maintain? According to Kotaku's report, Blizzard stated during their Analyst Day conference call yesterday that the price has been over $200 million since the game launched in 2004.

That's $200 million for the total cost of upkeep since the game's November, 2004 release (presumably not including the initial cost to develop the game). This includes payroll for the entire staff, hardware support, and -- apparently the biggest infrastructure cost -- customer service.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20080916/tc_zd/232075

DUDE!

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I would have thought that number would be much higher.

Just imagine how much money they MAKE though...8 million subscribers...the game itself, strategy guides, licensing, etc etc etc

Windu

And that 200 Million doesn't even cover the original development costs either. And I think its more than 8 million subscribers, more like 10 or something.

JoeMartin

The game sold how many millions at $50? The expansion sold how many millions at $40? All the while collecting $15/month from how many millions?

I don't think they're in any tight financial situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom