• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Epix said:
Why would you ever delete a character?
You can't roll Horde on a PvP server if you have Alliance characters on that server. It's possible he deleted the character before Blizzard was offering character migration, although it sounds like he did it recently. Perhaps he didn't want to pay the big transfer fee.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
You can't roll Horde on a PvP server if you have Alliance characters on that server. It's possible he deleted the character before Blizzard was offering character migration, although it sounds like he did it recently. Perhaps he didn't want to pay the big transfer fee.
Why not just roll on a different server then? Seems unlikely that he would coincidentally have a lot of friends on both Alliance and Horde side of the same PvP server. I dunno, I would just figure out a way NOT to delete my characters if it was me.

Epix

Xabora said:
FYI: Howling Fjord should have a lower population compared to Borean Tundra.
Due to having to go through Menethril and UC as opposed to Org and SW right? Too bad I heard the XP off the quests in Borean Tundra are nearly twice that of Howling Fjord.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Epix said:
Why not just roll on a different server then? Seems unlikely that he would coincidentally have a lot of friends on both Alliance and Horde side of the same PvP server. I dunno, I would just figure out a way NOT to delete my characters if it was me.
Gues: a whole groups of his friends decided to roll Horde together. I would have simply paid the fee to transfer the character, but to each his own. It's not like he deleted it just to prevent himself from playing, which is the thing I find REALLY lame.

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
Due to having to go through Menethril and UC as opposed to Org and SW right? Too bad I heard the XP off the quests in Borean Tundra are nearly twice that of Howling Fjord.
That sounds unlikely unless there are just less quests to do. Judging from my recent 60-70push with my Warrior, it seemed like the actual XP you got from a quest didn't vary much unless it was a dungeon-clear quest that offered double the XP (i.e. "Kill Talon King Ikiss in Sethekk Halls and bring his Head to NPC Bob"). Otherwise, you'd get ~10K XP +/- 2K.

Not accounting for Bridging quests, i.e. quests to go talk to someone who will give you the real quest, of course.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
That sounds unlikely unless there are just less quests to do. Judging from my recent 60-70push with my Warrior, it seemed like the actual XP you got from a quest didn't vary much unless it was a dungeon-clear quest that offered double the XP (i.e. "Kill Talon King Ikiss in Sethekk Halls and bring his Head to NPC Bob"). Otherwise, you'd get ~10K XP +/- 2K.

Not accounting for Bridging quests, i.e. quests to go talk to someone who will give you the real quest, of course.
The author of this "Borean Tundra vs. Howling Fjord" guide mentions that the average XP per quest in HF is 12k and 20k in BT. He does mention that these are beta numbers and could have become normalized by Blizzard since then.

Epix said:
The author of this "Borean Tundra vs. Howling Fjord" guide mentions that the average XP per quest in HF is 12k and 20k in BT. He does mention that these are beta numbers and could have become normalized by Blizzard since then.

That's interesting. Can anyone confirm this as true, as I've seen nothing about it anywhere. I play a mage so being away from capital cities doesn't bother me all that much, so I have more freedom to pick where I'd like to go.

nataku

Epix said:
Why would you ever delete a character?

I transfered my alliance character to another server to play with some people from GAF. Tthey were rolling horde, so I transfered my gold then deleted the character to make a new one.

PatzCU

Just got back from 7-11 with a nice, new copy of WotLK. Thanks for breaking street dates!

What time do the boats open to Northrend tonight?

Tamanon

Banned
PatzCU said:
Just got back from 7-11 with a nice, new copy of WotLK. Thanks for breaking street dates!

What time do the boats open to Northrend tonight?

Midnight eastern. That's when you can register your key and get a move on.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Cleaned out my bags and banks finally, for LK prep. I managed to open up 55 free slots in my bank, and 58 free slots in my bags :(

I know for a lot of people they feel like they have a GODLY amount of space when they're able to get to ~30 free slots, but for me... I couldn't BELIEVE I wasn't able to open up more.

I unloaded ALL cloth, herbs, and meat onto my Bank Alt... so WTF, how do I still need dozens and dozens of items stored in my bank? I literally can't explain it. It's all misc. bullshit I can't bring myself to get rid of, like novelty trinkets, Scourgestones for AD rep...

Magnus

nataku said:
I'm starting to wish I never deleted my Lv70 Hunter and went Horde... now I can't play a DK at launch. I probably should have renewed earlier to level up a new character, but oh well.

I just need to find a server now. Anyone know of mature servers? Mature + WoW don't go together but there has to be some servers better than others.

You can request to have it restored, depending on when you deleted. I've had a restoration done on an alt that was deleted half a year prior. It came back practically naked, but it's level was intact. :)

Chris R

argh, my copy wont be showing up until like early December because I chose the free shipping on Amazon :lol Tried to upgrade to prime but that doesn't give free shipping to Alaska :(

Kletian

GDJustin said:
Cleaned out my bags and banks finally, for LK prep. I managed to open up 55 free slots in my bank, and 58 free slots in my bags :(

I know for a lot of people they feel like they have a GODLY amount of space when they're able to get to ~30 free slots, but for me... I couldn't BELIEVE I wasn't able to open up more.

I unloaded ALL cloth, herbs, and meat onto my Bank Alt... so WTF, how do I still need dozens and dozens of items stored in my bank? I literally can't explain it. It's all misc. bullshit I can't bring myself to get rid of, like novelty trinkets, Scourgestones for AD rep...

I have a problem in that I'm a packrat/collector. I have all my old armor sets and fist weapons from Vanilla because I couldnt stand to get rid of them, a lot of novelty trinkets, 14 slots taken up by fucking TABBARDS!, uneven numbers of rep turn-ins, various enchanting mats and gems. And what sucks is that all of it is stuff that I'll still need/want at 80 (well, cept for the enchanting/gems)

GDJustin

Kletian said:
I have a problem in that I'm a packrat/collector. I have all my old armor sets and fist weapons from Vanilla because I couldnt stand to get rid of them, a lot of novelty trinkets, 14 slots taken up by fucking TABBARDS!, uneven numbers of rep turn-ins, various enchanting mats and gems. And what sucks is that all of it is stuff that I'll still need/want at 80 (well, cept for the enchanting/gems)

I used to be the exact same way, but I finally forced myself to "just let go." That OCD, min/max behavior was sucking the fun out of the game for me. Once I loosened up and stopped reading rep guides to grind out reps most efficienty, and stopped hoarding every trinket on the off-chance that I might have the perfect opportunity to use it... I started having a lot more fun with the game.

I mean, would it be neat to whip out a hat that I can pull beer out of at some random moment? Yes, it would. But fuck that... I could use that slot for something better. Ditto the ~10 Random Wands I have from Hallow's End. I had them all banked thinking I'd pull them out in like June to get some Lulz, but then I was like "There is no way I want these sitting in my bank for the next year" and trashed them too.

Once I was able to let go of that kind of playstyle, WoW became a much healthier experience for me. I still play it (a lot), but now it's something that enriches my life, instead of dominates it. Log on, have some fun, log off. I don't feel the need to be "that guy" that's on top of every single aspect, anymore.

Angry Grimace

Magnus said:
You can request to have it restored, depending on when you deleted. I've had a restoration done on an alt that was deleted half a year prior. It came back practically naked, but it's level was intact. :)
If PvP server, he'd have to migrate it to a new realm, though, or delete his current main.

Here's something I'm curious about: do all new WoW players need to endure hours and hours of patching when they want to try out the game? I'm currently re-installing WoW on my MacBook and the amount of patching required to get it up to date is ludicrous. Admittedly I'm using original launch discs, but I know of people who have acquired trial discs and downloaded the client much more recently and had the same problem; someone I know had to leave their machine on overnight to get all the patching done, and it almost put them off the game before they even started. Wouldn't it behoove Blizzard to ensure their downloads and trial/retail discs have the most up-to-date client to minimize all the pre-game patching that could easily alienate potential new players?

Evlar

Banned
Xabora said:
Zangarmarsh should have much lower population than either. (Leave me alone, I'm trying to look on the bright side).
Gary Whitta said:
Here's something I'm curious about: do all new WoW players need to endure hours and hours of patching when they want to try out the game? I'm currently re-installing WoW on my MacBook and the amount of patching required to get it up to date is ludicrous. Admittedly I'm using original launch discs, but I know of people who have acquired trial discs and downloaded the client much more recently and had the same problem; someone I know had to leave their machine on overnight to get all the patching done, and it almost put them off the game before they even started. Wouldn't it behoove Blizzard to ensure their downloads and trial/retail discs have the most up-to-date client to minimize all the pre-game patching that could easily alienate potential new players?
Fully installing the WotLK expansion discs should alleviate that problem, temporarily. It's a built-in problem with the MMO model of frequent large patches.

Ashodin

Gary Whitta said:
I assuming this will be the case once Lich King launches.

Magnus

Gary Whitta said:

The patching sort of gets a soft-reset by expansion. I mean, even if you had an original WoW Disc -- installing BC would bring you right up to 2.0, and then installing WotlK brings your right up to 3.0.1 (which is funny, because after installing tonight, people's clients will be reverted from the current 3.0.3 back to 3.0.1 and have to patch again).

So for new players who buy everything or for current players who reinstall everything, they'll just need the patches from the last expansion onward.

For new players who just buy Vanilla WoW and hold off on expansions till they're 60 or want more or whatever, yeah, they're in for tons of patching I guess. I'm not sure if the client will grab a 1.0 to 3.0.1 patch, or if it'll actually download every incremental patch. That'd be a bit of a nightmare.

Epix

I recommend that everyone download the client off of Blizzard's website now and install WoTLK. That will bring you all the way up to the point of upgrading your account via the CD key when you acquire the game.

Gary Whitta said:
There's a trial version that downloads the game as you play it, I'm pretty sure.

Epix said:
I recommend that everyone download the client off of Blizzard's website now and install WoTLK. That will bring you all the way up to the point of upgrading your account via the CD key when you acquire the game.
What's the point? The CD will only take a few mins to install, right?

Angry Grimace

Son of Godzilla said:
There's a trial version that downloads the game as you play it, I'm pretty sure.
The trial version does stream the game, but it's only for trial accounts.

Ceebs

thank god I managed an early copy...tried to install...DVD drive gives me read errors during the install.

Trying to rip an ISO on another PC to install from. I would be throwing stuff if it was midnight trying to do this.

bengraven

Gary Whitta said:

Problem is, they had the discs out for shipment weeks ago and just patched up recently. So you're going to have to repatch after the game removes the last patch I think. :lol

Kweh

Well the Euro WotLK is live, managed to create my Death Knight and do a few quests, pretty cool. Not sure if we can get to Northrend or not yet

Tamanon

Banned
Kweh said:
Well the Euro WotLK is live, managed to create my Death Knight and do a few quests, pretty cool. Not sure if we can get to Northrend or not yet

If you made a Death Knight and did quests, you can go to Northrend. They're on the same sub-server.

So earlier today I first saw the news of digital downloads on worldofraids. Now the real question is they also link to this site that will sell online cd keys http://onlinecdkey.com/index/worldofwarcraftwrathofthelichkingus-p-210.html?cPath=21_37

After checking it out seems kind of fishy and up in the air just how soon said key would get delivered to you. It's not terribly important for me to get the game right at midnight, but if it saves me a long wait in line during 30 degree Pennsylvania weather then why not? If not I'll just stroll into a store during normal opening hours tomorrow.

Angry Grimace

Manick Joe said:
So earlier today I first saw the news of digital downloads on worldofraids. Now the real question is they also link to this site that will sell online cd keys http://onlinecdkey.com/index/worldofwarcraftwrathofthelichkingus-p-210.html?cPath=21_37

After checking it out seems kind of fishy and up in the air just how soon said key would get delivered to you. It's not terribly important for me to get the game right at midnight, but if it saves me a long wait in line during 30 degree Pennsylvania weather then why not? If not I'll just stroll into a store during normal opening hours tomorrow.
Why would you risk your account and credit info with something you find fishy? If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat..

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
Why would you risk your account and credit info with something you find fishy? If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat..
If it looks like a rat, and smells like a rat... its a BIG FAT NEW YORK RAT!
_44315681_rat_416.jpg

Also:
I recovered all my cloth back! BREAK TIME!

2jb70ut.jpg

firex

all I bought for my DK is 4 imbued netherweave bags. then again, I probably have enough runecloth on my mage alt to do all the first aid I'll need.

PatzCU

Xabora said:

I was thinking of starting in Howling Fjord anyway just based on the fact that the landscape looks far more interesting than Borean Tundra. Is there something I'm missing? Why is Borean Tundra going to have a high population?

Tamanon

Banned
PatzCU said:
I was thinking of starting in Howling Fjord anyway just based on the fact that the landscape looks far more interesting than Borean Tundra. Is there something I'm missing? Why is Borean Tundra going to have a high population?

I know most Deathknights will be going to Tundra first because of that Blue weapon chain and that axe.:lol

traveler

Not Wario
I loved the Fjord from the Beta so I'm really hoping everyone just goes wherever the Harbor leads to and ignores Menethil. I know WoW has a bit more connected and, thus, informed community, but I'd like to believe most of my server (who constantly spammed questions asking wtf inscription was, if patch 3.0 was the xpac, and where did they need to go to make death knights following 3.0) will do exactly what I just said.

bengraven

I did Howling Fjord in the beta and it was much cooler.

Borean is cool because
it's under constant attack, literally right outside it's doors, by nerubians
but I like the forests and green of Howling.

Hunters are going to go to Borean for the rhinos or to Howling for those DAMN awesome new wolves! :D

traveler

Not Wario
bengraven said:

Borean is cool because

Hunters are going to go to Borean for the rhinos or to Howling for those DAMN awesome new wolves! :D

Only for Horde right? I don't recall the Alliance landing being near as chaotic as the one in HF.

Speaking of which, given what I've seen, I have to say I probably would go Tundra if I was Horde. It seems like it's their starting point of choice and the Fjord is the Alliance's.

Kletian

bengraven said:

Borean is cool because

Saber Worgs want to make me reroll a hunter that's for sure.

EDarkness

Xabora said:

True. There is a good one handed sword there off of the first couple of quests and the ring you get from the Utgarde Keep quest is nice. The only real problem with that area is that it's hard to get into and out of.

Ripclawe

Banned
*sobs* I had it in my hands at Walmart and was all happy and filled with joy till they tried to ring it up.

" NO SELL ALLOWED"

*sobs* You are fricking WALMART! Blizzard can't slap you around break the date.

*sobs*

bengraven

traveler said:
Only for Horde right? I don't recall the Alliance landing being near as chaotic as the one in HF.

Speaking of which, given what I've seen, I have to say I probably would go Tundra if I was Horde. It seems like it's their starting point of choice and the Fjord is the Alliance's.

Yeah, I'm sorry, I should have noted that. I'm talking about the massive Warsong Hold in BT for the Horde. I didn't get a chance to try an Alliance.

Kletian said:
Saber Worgs want to make me reroll a hunter that's for sure.

Yeah, I have a ton of regrets about pre-Wrath (didn't get enough gold, didn't get enough gear, played too many alts), but not getting my hunter to 70 was the biggest. :(

PatzCU said:
Well I'm Horde, so its sounds like maybe I should do at least a little bit of Borean. I'll probably just do both, why not?

That's what happened with me. I got bored of one and switched to the other. YOu can basically do that all the way to 80. :D

firex

I actually liked Howling Fjord more on my pally, but I'll admit it's going to be a bitch to start, moreso than Borean Tundra if you ask me.
Howling Fjord has like, 3 quests to start out, which quickly progress into quest chains that go all over the zone. But I wouldn't say it does that quickly enough for dealing with the WotLK launch rush. Borean Tundra has some quests that start right at the Warsong Offensive camp, but you can also run off to any of the 4 or 5 quest hubs in the zone pretty easily.
Still, I really just want to get the Utgarde Keep quest in Howling Fjord and then go into that instance and grind a level or two in there.

Angry Grimace

GDJustin

PatzCU said:

Because Ogg and Stormwind go straight to BT. To get to FJ you have to leave from Theslamar or UC.

So for Alliance Players it's no question - FJ will be much less populated. For Horde players, most think FJ will also be less populated, since Ogg is the busier city.

GDJustin

Another option, if you're reasonably geared, is to skip both BT and FJ and go straight to Dragonblight.

The zone is very easy to get to (a turtle ride away from both starter zones), and it's quests start out at ~71, so it shouldn't be too tough.

Remember that BT and FJ are tuned so that new chars can roll into either one right at 68, in their quest greens/blues, and not miss a beat. So most of us that have been doing heroics and/or raids are probably going to find them crazy-easy. Dragonblight might be a better choice, for skipping the crowds.

When I was ~68 I had literally ~550 less spell damage than I have now at 70. So the LK starter zones were a joke in the beta. They were easier than the BC mobs in Netherstorm and SMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom