• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kletian

DarkAngelYuna said:
God damn, I just woke up and there is already a level 65 DK on my realm.

Well on the bright side that gives me hope that I'll be 70 by the end of the weekend on mine, which was my goal from the word "go"

winnarps

Eh, to each his own, I suppose. I can understand nonstop leveling for the first 3 levels or so to get yourself ahead of the curve a bit (not competing with mob spawns + no pvp if on a pvp server), but hitting level cap within a day or so of release is kind of insane.

DarkAngelYuna said:
God damn, I just woke up and there is already a level 65 DK on my realm.
How do you tell? Are you using the /who feature? Does that tell you EVERYONE in your faction that's on your server at the moment?

Because yesterday it said 49 people were online. That seems like a very small number.

proof80.jpg
lulz

winnarps

I believe 49 is the cap on the /who command. As in, it only displays 49 people max in the list when you run that command.

So to find out who's moving along pretty quickly, type "/who death knight 65-70". That'll show all the DKs within that level range.

winnarps said:
I believe 49 is the cap on the /who command. As in, it only displays 49 people max in the list when you run that command.

So to find out who's moving along pretty quickly, type "/who death knight 65-70". That'll show all the DKs within that level range.
Wow, very handy. Thanks!

p.s. there shouldn't be a cap, wtf

Kletian

winnarps said:
Eh, to each his own, I suppose. I can understand nonstop leveling for the first 3 levels or so to get yourself ahead of the curve a bit (not competing with mob spawns + no pvp if on a pvp server), but hitting level cap within a day or so of release is kind of insane.

I just don't understand the joys one would have of getting to 80 that fast.

Congratulations, you just blew through content that you've been waiting years for, you're the only god damn person at level 80 so you can't do 5-mans and you sure as hell wont be raiding in the next week at least. Enjoy sitting at 80 doing absolutely nothing, and I don't want to hear you bitch about being bored with the game and threatening to cancel your account.

TomServo

Kletian said:

Congratulations, you just blew through content that you've been waiting years for, you're the only god damn person at level 80 so you can't do 5-mans and you sure as hell wont be raiding in the next week at least. Enjoy sitting at 80 doing absolutely nothing, and I don't want to hear you bitch about being bored with the game and threatening to cancel your account.

Exactly. The same friend that called me up at 11:30 to tell me he was in line to buy Wrath stayed up all night and called me this morning to tell me he's about to ding 72. Why? He'll get to 80 with other guildies (tons of 71's already) and run Naxx until his eyes bleed. He isn't even running the 5-man stuff because it's quicker to level through quests.

I'm slightly considering reactivating, haven't played in a while. Well, I did play the WotLK beta, but only briefly, and haven't had an active account since...March maybe? Not sure. Anyway, I'm tempted to reactivate mainly just because I want to do CoT: Stratholme, Naxx and the new Battleground stuff. I'd definitely roll a Death Knight. Played one in the beta, and I'm beyond sick of my Shaman. Idk, we'll see. If enough of my friends wanted to I might. If not, I wouldn't reactivate alone. I've got plenty to do so it's not like there'll be an unfilled void if I'm not playing. We'll see.

Dever

Banned
So should my rogue go Assassination or Subtlety? I'm in no hurry to lvl 80. I know subtlety is probably the worst choice for leveling, but it seems fun.

I just discovered the Warp Stalker beast. As soon as I reach lvl 64, I'm taming that sucker to replace my Raptor. Anyone else have a Warp Stalker as a pet?

Farnack

Banned
Epix said:
They're doing this supposed Blizzard approved shit where a guy uses his guild to kill tons of mobs that he tags.
That's how the fastest 70 leveled in BC.

It's legit within the game mechanics. I don't know why someone would need to question that.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
So I played the free trial and I really liked it. I want to start paying for the game now, can I just buy WotLK or do I have to buy all 3 boxes?

BTW undead is my favorite race and warrior is my favorite class.

Xabora

sykoex said:
So I played the free trial and I really liked it. I want to start paying for the game now, can I just buy WotLK or do I have to buy all 3 boxes?

Buy the Warchest + WoTLK (If you want to hit northrend).

Farnack

Banned
Okay! I need addons people!

Replacement for trinity bars, uh something for unit frames, and something to replace natur's buff bars since I don't think they work anymore.
sykoex said:

Yeah you need all three.

They do have cheaper battlechests though. I think you may be able to bypass that with guest invitations, but I'm not sure.

Macattk15

Epix said:
They're doing this supposed Blizzard approved shit where a guy uses his guild to kill tons of mobs that he tags.

And they'll probably all get banned. Just because some random person who works for a company tells you something doesn't mean it's ok. How many times have you been lied to by a power company / phone company?

If it seems shady, it most likely is shady.

Macattk15

Farnack said:
Okay! I need addons people!

Replacement for trinity bars, uh something for unit frames, and something to replace natur's buff bars since I don't think they work anymore.

Yeah you need all three.

They do have cheaper battlechests though. I think you may be able to bypass that with guest invitations, but I'm not sure.

Use Xperl for unit frames, I think they own. Haven't found a replacement for natur yet though. And for my action bars, I use Dominoes ... simple and easy.

Farnack

Banned
Macattk15 said:
And they'll probably all get banned. Just because some random person who works for a company tells you something doesn't mean it's ok. How many times have you been lied to by a power company / phone company?

If it seems shady, it most likely is shady.
It's legit. It's a part of the game mechanics. They did it in Burning Crusade's launch too.

I'll probably use xperl and Trinity's replacement, Macaroons. I need a new buff bar...

Edit: Oh snap, I meant Elkano's buff bars. That seems alive. XD

I hope there's something to tell me when Bacon of Hope goes away when I cast it on people.

TheExodu5

Banned
^are you using any inventory addons? If not, I highly, highly recommend arkinventory. You can divide your bag up into different sections and have it automatically sort your items. It saves me so much time, and makes it so easy to browse through my items.

Another one I love, though not everyone likes it, is ArcHUD. It puts brackets (parenthesis) around your character displaying your health, enemy's health (side by side), and your mana/combo/rage and enemy's cast bar. Very useful mod, as it makes it very easy to keep track of healthbars and ability points without having to look at the top left of the screen.

Kletian

TheExodu5 said:
^are you using any inventory addons? If not, I highly, highly recommend arkinventory. You can divide your bag up into different sections and have it automatically sort your items. It saves me so much time, and makes it so easy to browse through my items.

Another one I love, though not everyone likes it, is ArcHUD. It puts brackets (parenthesis) around your character displaying your health, enemy's health (side by side), and your mana/combo/rage and enemy's cast bar. Very useful mod, as it makes it very easy to keep track of healthbars and ability points without having to look at the top left of the screen.

I used to run with DHUD but Drathal stopped updating it eons ago for some emo reason, and the people who took it up havent updated it since before 3.0. So I installed ArcHUD last night.

I like it, but it's cluttered as all getout. I'd really like to be able to move my health numbers/percents but all I can do is make them dissapear. And there doesnt seem to be anyway to get my name to dissapear off hte center of the screen either.

Richiban

Dever said:
So should my rogue go Assassination or Subtlety? I'm in no hurry to lvl 80. I know subtlety is probably the worst choice for leveling, but it seems fun.

I leveled my rogue from 1-70 Sub, and you're right, it's great amounts of fun. I have found it way easier to get into pick up groups as a combat swords kind of guy, but from what I understand, daggers are making a comeback in this expansion. I would say just play whatever appeals to you the most. The one thing I love about Sub is the fact that you don't have to be up the ass of the mob if you want to sap something. I basically have to be checking the label of the underwear the mob is wearing as combat. I'm glad I'll be getting some talent points soon, because I need the Dirty Tricks talent back.

Some of the more learned WoW players here can correct me if I'm wrong.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
winnarps said:
Pure Northrend questing (Borean Tundra): 70 to 71 in 4 hours, 12:10am to 4:10am.

Sigh. I'm a zombie now at work because of that. Oh well, I just wanted to get an idea for how long leveling to 80 will probably take me.

Can't wait to explore more, though.
I only got three bars (I didn't get LK up and running until 1:50 am), but I did not think it was slow while I was doing it. It seemed somewhat reasonable actually. That could be because of the fact that some HF quests are popping 20K XP.

Chris R

sykoex said:

Try to search a bit. I was able to find a warchest for 19.99 OTD :lol Such a great deal

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kletian said:

I'm not even sure how that's possible. You simply couldn't kill enough mobs to level that high in sub-10 hours. There must be some trick that I'm totally unaware of. It seems like even running each instance over and over wouldn't work fast enough.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
I only got three bars (I didn't get LK up and running until 1:50 am), but I did not think it was slow while I was doing it. It seemed somewhat reasonable actually. That could be because of the fact that some HF quests are popping 20K XP.
So what are the actual average XP amounts for quests in BT vs. HF?

PatzCU

So XPerl unit frames are pretty easy to setup? I need new unit frames AND a new addon to let me move around my action bars/xp bar etc... I used to use CT for all of this, but I just don't want to anymore, it's kind out outdated.

Also - I was one of the first few to make it into Howling Fjord last night. Loving it so far! The quests are far above and beyond anything we've seen in WoW so far. I'm really liking that Blizzard is straying away (but not entirely) from the tired formula of go to X, kill X amount of guys. There seems to be some fun quests that provide great XP that don't require any killing at all.

Unfortunately, my 1 hour lead on the rest of my server will be completely negated by the time I get home from work today. Back to the crowds of peasants I go :lol

Farnack

Banned
Wow, Macaroons is 50 times easier to set up than trinity bars.

So awesome.

I need a casting bar... I forgot which one I had used...

Xabora

Farnack said:
Wow, Macaroons is 50 times easier to set up than trinity bars.

So awesome.

I need a casting bar... I forgot which one I had used...
Grab quartz, and OmniCC for cooldown timers for button skills.

Angry Grimace

TheExodu5 said:

That does sound useful. I have a real problem when soloing noticing when I'm getting chain-critted and dying. I just seem to always be preoccupied with what the mobs are doing, and combined with the fact that I still have to look at the keyboard for any keybound button that's not 1,2 or 3.... (Sad, innit)

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
So what are the actual average XP amounts for quests in BT vs. HF?
The thing is, that most quests were not 20K. They're all over the map. Some quests give 12K, despite being just as difficult, or less so than others. I.e. a quest where some pot smoker (looks like it) asked for me to dive down and get his "incense bag" which turned out to be a 1 minute swim away, and I logged 20,000 XP, but one where I had to kill 12 guys awarded 12K.

And I actually didn't make it to Borean Tundra at all and so can't compare. I was looking for around the northern edges of HF for cobalt nodes (which by the way was plentiful last night, in fact I logged out next to a Titanium node, and it was still there when I woke up at 8:30 :lol), and just got kind of swept up in all the cool stuff to see, and wanted to see if I could see/get into Dalaran (which it turns out you can't until you get a lvl 74 quest). I actually was hitting /1 in every new territory to see if anyone was there and there was literally nobody on any territories beyond Grizzly Hills (just north of HF). It was kind of cool to explore the unused and so far unvisited territories like that.

I'm guessing the "push" in members will come tonight and tomorrow. That's kind of the inherent problem with the model; if everyone's stuck in the same two areas, it will get bogged down FAST.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
The thing is, that most quests were not 20K. They're all over the map. Some quests give 12K, despite being just as difficult, or less so than others. I.e. a quest where some pot smoker (looks like it) asked for me to dive down and get his "incense bag" which turned out to be a 1 minute swim away, and I logged 20,000 XP, but one where I had to kill 12 guys awarded 12K.

And I actually didn't make it to Borean Tundra at all and so can't compare. I was looking for around the northern edges of HF for cobalt nodes (which by the way was plentiful last night, in fact I logged out next to a Titanium node, and it was still there when I woke up at 8:30 :lol), and just got kind of swept up in all the cool stuff to see, and wanted to see if I could see/get into Dalaran (which it turns out you can't until you get a lvl 74 quest). I actually was hitting /1 in every new territory to see if anyone was there and there was literally nobody on any territories beyond Grizzly Hills (just north of HF). It was kind of cool to explore the unused and so far unvisited territories like that.

I'm guessing the "push" in members will come tonight and tomorrow. That's kind of the inherent problem with the model; if everyone's stuck in the same two areas, it will get bogged down FAST.

It's like that because the 12 guys you had to kill also gave you XP while killing them. So you probably ended up getting around 20k while doing it.

Xabora

Finally got my copy. Patching now. :D
I dont play the WoW TCG but kinda cool that they gave us 2 Limited Edition Promo Cards + Papa Hummel's Pet Biscuit.

Angry Grimace said:

Yah. I dinged 71 a bit ago and am leaving Howling and the rest of Borean alone til 80 for cash, I just logged off and general was swarming as was major quest hubs. On to Grizzly and Blight from now on to keep ahead and surprisingly, do it at my own pace more than if I conciously slowed down and got caught in the herd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom