• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kintaro said:
If there is one thing I HATE it's that you have to skill up weapons. So, what's the easiest way to skill up a weapon from 1 on a lvl 70? =/
Kill boars in Elwynn Forest. Seriously. It's too hard to hit stuff much higher than level 10 until you're at least closer to 150 skill or so.

Depending on your spec you can do more or less. When I needed to get Maces to 350, I was specc'd protection, so it wasn't that hard to just stand around a light hitting boss and AFK the auto attack with the fastest, cheapest weapon I could find.

border

Considering that weapon skill has been replaced by expertise, I'm not sure why they bother retaining the weapon skill system in the first place.

Mareg

border said:
Considering that weapon skill has been replaced by expertise, I'm not sure why they bother retaining the weapon skill system in the first place.

wait what !%?
this is just wrong. link ?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mareg said:
wait what !%?
this is just wrong. link ?
Yeah, item's used to have bonuses towards your weapon skills. It's analagous to how they replaced "bonus healing / spell damage" with "spell power."

Angry Grimace

Kintaro said:
If there is one thing I HATE it's that you have to skill up weapons. So, what's the easiest way to skill up a weapon from 1 on a lvl 70? =/
oh and people SWEAR that intellect level cuases you to level weapons faster. I don't know if that's true, but some people have done studies which allegedly prove this, although I don't know about how that was done. You could ask for an intellect buff before you try, couldn't hurt.

Mareg

border said:
As a stat bonus that gets applied to items, weapon skill is gone. It still exists as a character attribute.

Could you elaborate ?
I have had occasions to prove that wrong recently by training mace on my DK. My weapon skill was 1 and my crit% went from 25% to 11%. Also, I would miss all the time on same lvl mob.
Surelly you meant something else that I just don't know about cause I can pretty much vouch that weapon skills has immense impact on dps.

border

Intellect used to help you skill weapons faster I'm certain. If you did a mouseover on the stat screen on "Intellect" it would tell you that. That tip is gone now, so I don't know if INT has any effect on weapon skilling.

I think the intent was for casters to be able to skill faster if they had a ton of INT, because they rarely use weapons. I doubt it really helps warriors to throw on a bunch of crappy "Of the Eagle" gear.

Mareg

border said:
I doubt it really helps warriors to throw on a bunch of crappy "Of the Eagle" gear.

Haha, I entertain myself more by believing it was removed because dps classes
ninja
were needing on int items :lol

Angry Grimace

border said:
Intellect used to help you skill weapons faster I'm certain. If you did a mouseover on the stat screen on "Intellect" it would tell you that. That tip is gone now, so I don't know if INT has any effect on weapon skilling.

I think the intent was for casters to be able to skill faster if they had a ton of INT, because they rarely use weapons. I doubt it really helps warriors to throw on a bunch of crappy "Of the Eagle" gear.
I think this was where I read that:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=9336627013&sid=1

The argument is that they just removed the tooltip becuase they liked the effect it had for casters to level up faster, but didn't intend for melee classes to actually use it to do so. Who knows. Asking for Arcane Brilliance can't hurt if you're in a town, I guess.

*shrugs*

border

Weapon Skill exists, but it is always capped. You can no longer find items to boost or decrease weapon skill. I questioned the relevance of it, not the effects of it.

There is no point to weapon skill other than to make you waste several hours of your time if you happen to get a new weapon of a class that you haven't used (or haven't used recently). I don't understand the point of it as a stat -- just let everyone have a hit/crit/miss that scales with their level. Don't make them "level" their weapons as well. It's no fun finding an awesome polearm and then realizing you now have to go back to Azeroth to kill boars in the Barrens if you want to be able to use it.

Mareg

Thanks Border. I understand what you ment now.

Just a last tibits on lvling weapon skill.
There is absolutly no reason to go back to the starter zones to lvlup the weapon skills. In facts, it just might take more time then finding a suitable mob of your lvl (one that doesn't hit hard but has high hit points/armor). This is caused by the fact that a miss has the same chance of making you lvl up weapon skills then a hit. Missing a lot on a mob will speed up your weapon lvling time because you won't have to run all around to find additionnal boar to kill.

Before wotlk, there was a certain mob in vanilla wow that was actually invincible and didn't hit very hard. he was notorioussly known as the best for lvling up your weapon skills.

Angry Grimace

border said:
Weapon Skill exists, but it is always capped. You can no longer find items to boost or decrease weapon skill. I questioned the relevance of it, not the effects of it.

There is no point to weapon skill other than to make you waste several hours of your time if you happen to get a new weapon of a class that you haven't used (or haven't used recently). I don't understand the point of it as a stat -- just let everyone have a hit/crit/miss that scales with their level. Don't make them "level" their weapons as well. It's no fun finding an awesome polearm and then realizing you now have to go back to Azeroth to kill boars in the Barrens if you want to be able to use it.
What's most frustrating is that it's applied in such a way that your miss rating with a low weapon skill is so high you simply cannot do anything other than that.

I hit 80 a few days ago on the Rogue. One thing that struck me as kind of weird was that we didn't get a new rank of stealth. I think we probably need one. Anyway, I went off and bought a bunch of mounts to get the Albino Drake. I had already gotten to exalted with the Horde factions, I was just waiting until I got to 80 just in case I needed money for something else. Which I didn't.

After hitting 80 I've just been questing in Storm Peaks to unlock the Polar bear dailies. I think I unlocked them all yesterday since I don't have anymore quests for the village. I've also been working on Ebon Blade rep by wearing the tabard in dungeons. They have a real nice sword I want.

Also, I'm getting real annoyed at this AOE the shit out of everything strategy every hunter and mage want to use now. I don't think that helps out at all. You may be topping the DPS meter (?) but the mobs are up and hitting the tank (and me) longer.

I think we do. I shouldn't be getting noticed by level 79-80 mobs when walking 5 feet away from them with 3/3 master of deception and the Shadowsong Panther Trinket.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Oni Link 666 said:
I think we do. I shouldn't be getting noticed by level 79-80 mobs when walking 5 feet away from them with 3/3 master of deception and the Shadowsong Panther Trinket.
Oh, I don't care about PvE stealth. PvP stealth has been overpowered since Day 1 though, and they just removed the one racial counter for it and the one class skill counter for it.

Angry Grimace

Kintaro said:
http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/11/26/dual-spec-update/

Duel Spec news. Basically, "working on it, but don't hold your breathe for 3.1"
I don't know, am I the only one who's not excited that they have to build up an entirely new set of gear? Seems like dual-spec kind of takes away the penalty of choosing a specific tree.

Gamewise of course. I won't lie and say that doesn't sound dead useful. It just feels kind of annoying I spent all this time doing protection when now every warrior is going to have protection as a backup spec and going to want to give me tips on how I'm tanking wrong. I'm sure my guild's Priests will be happy enough, though.

Angry Grimace

Oni Link 666 said:
I hit 80 a few days ago on the Rogue. One thing that struck me as kind of weird was that we didn't get a new rank of stealth. I think we probably need one. Anyway, I went off and bought a bunch of mounts to get the Albino Drake. I had already gotten to exalted with the Horde factions, I was just waiting until I got to 80 just in case I needed money for something else. Which I didn't.

After hitting 80 I've just been questing in Storm Peaks to unlock the Polar bear dailies. I think I unlocked them all yesterday since I don't have anymore quests for the village. I've also been working on Ebon Blade rep by wearing the tabard in dungeons. They have a real nice sword I want.

Also, I'm getting real annoyed at this AOE the shit out of everything strategy every hunter and mage want to use now. I don't think that helps out at all. You may be topping the DPS meter (?) but the mobs are up and hitting the tank (and me) longer.
It usually raises an eyebrow when someone asks what the skull floating over a mob's head means.

ampere

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes:
Is there an advantage to having Lich King installed if playing below level 70? My account is currently frozen and I haven't played since around when BC came out and I have a level 70 character, but my friend and I are going to reroll this December, and don't know if I need to buy Lich King yet. Is there extra character customization or something that is available only to Lich King owners?
Also, I heard about the experience it takes to get to 70 being reduced, what is the story behind this?

Evlar

Banned
ciaossu said:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes:
Is there an advantage to having Lich King installed if playing below level 70? My account is currently frozen and I haven't played since around when BC came out and I have a level 70 character, but my friend and I are going to reroll this December, and don't know if I need to buy Lich King yet. Is there extra character customization or something that is available only to Lich King owners?
Also, I heard about the experience it takes to get to 70 being reduced, what is the story behind this?
If you have the expansion you can create a Death Knight on any server on which you have at least one +55 level character. The other benefits of WoW 3.0 (inscription, taller talent trees) are available to everyone.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Angry Grimace said:
I don't know, am I the only one who's not excited that they have to build up an entirely new set of gear? Seems like dual-spec kind of takes away the penalty of choosing a specific tree.

Most people have been collecting sets of gear for different specs for quite awhile now. There shouldn't be a "penalty" to begin with to switch specs.

Gamewise of course. I won't lie and say that doesn't sound dead useful. It just feels kind of annoying I spent all this time doing protection when now every warrior is going to have protection as a backup spec and going to want to give me tips on how I'm tanking wrong. I'm sure my guild's Priests will be happy enough, though.

Uh, well...dunno what to tell ya really. Warriors should rejoice. They can prot for when they need to tank and have a solo/pvp spec to switch to when tanking it done. Same with Druids, Death Knights, Priests, Shaman....so on and so forth.

It's actually weird to me that this wasn't done years ago.

yacobod

Banned
Kintaro said:
Most people have been collecting sets of gear for different specs for quite awhile now. There shouldn't be a "penalty" to begin with to switch specs.

Uh, well...dunno what to tell ya really. Warriors should rejoice. They can prot for when they need to tank and have a solo/pvp spec to switch to when tanking it done. Same with Druids, Death Knights, Priests, Shaman....so on and so forth.

honestly protection for warriors is just as good for leveling provided you have the gear for it, prot warriors can aoe grind pretty effectively, i did 70-73 on my warrior as prot so far, i think its pretty fun

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
yacobod said:
honestly protection for warriors is just as good for leveling provided you have the gear for it, prot warriors can aoe grind pretty effectively, i did 70-73 on my warrior as prot so far, i think its pretty fun

I heard about this. I'm excited to try it out, but my warrior is only 42 so I'm not sure it'll apply at those levels.

Still though, some Warriors love Fury/Titan's Girp for leveling and such.

Hero

yacobod said:

Pretty much this. To me Protection is a lot more fun than Arms is.

Personally I want the dual spec system implemented so there can be some healers around. I've been 80 for a week and there's hardly any healers. It's even worse because in LFG I'll see shit like this:

Paladin - Retribution
Shaman - Enhancement
Priest - Shadow
Warrior - Fury DPS
Druid - Boomkin

Nobody wants any of you for 5 man heroics. No one. Respec into something worthwhile and you might get an invite.

Angry Grimace

Kintaro said:

I never did because I never really enjoyed anything outside of tanking and being protection anyways so I didn't stay outside of it for more than 4 levels. (60-64)

Actually, post patch 3.0 leveling as Protection is awesome becuase you never die and actually do pretty damn good damage. A lot of people didn't seem to understand the awesomeness of Shockwave at first, but it's an awesome talent, and works great even when soloing, for both escape-mode and for stacking a stun along with concussion blow on higher level mobs.

Farnack

Banned
Hero said:

Personally I want the dual spec system implemented so there can be some healers around. I've been 80 for a week and there's hardly any healers. It's even worse because in LFG I'll see shit like this:

Paladin - Retribution
Shaman - Enhancement
Priest - Shadow
Warrior - Fury DPS
Druid - Boomkin

Nobody wants any of you for 5 man heroics. No one. Respec into something worthwhile and you might get an invite.
How about 1 Prot Pally, 1 Holy Pally, 3 Ret Pally? 8D

I have never seen a Holy Pally that's questing other than myself. Everyone's a Ret and probably leveling as ret. I was able to kill things almost as fast as a Ret, maybe 2 seconds slower, with zero downtime. I think there is a stigma for leveling as a healer, so when people level as dps, they feel like staying dps after.

I've even leveled a priest as holy from 1-60 pre-TBC.

Chris R

Any priests here leveling as holy? I really want to be healing instances with my priest, but I'm full shadow now...

And seeing as I've never leveled pure holy, I was wondering how it might go, or even if I do need to level as holy to heal instances. Last time I did an instance on my priest trying to heal in non-shadow form... lets just say it didn't go very well :lol

Oh and HF>BT in almost every single way possible. Taken my 72 mage through it, and my priest is just getting started at 68 now, and man the zone just rocks.

ibu

Noob question here... I have the game in my hands. I am yet to begin so I will be a level 1 bitch. But I have a question for you guys.

Will the game run well for me on these specs?
* Processor: 1.6-GHz Intel Atom N270
* RAM: 1 GB DDR2 RAM ( I will be upgrading this to 2GB)
* Integrated Graphics: Intel GMA 950 64 MB VRAM

Yes its a Netbook.

I have a vaio but this one is easier for me on the move.

Eric WK

rhfb said:
Any priests here leveling as holy? I really want to be healing instances with my priest, but I'm full shadow now...

And seeing as I've never leveled pure holy, I was wondering how it might go, or even if I do need to level as holy to heal instances. Last time I did an instance on my priest trying to heal in non-shadow form... lets just say it didn't go very well :lol

Oh and HF>BT in almost every single way possible. Taken my 72 mage through it, and my priest is just getting started at 68 now, and man the zone just rocks.

I leveled Disc and it was fantastic. Never had a problem soloing - huge mana pool, damage never felt too gimped, etc. I never died from any normal pull and was able to survive a lot of stuff I probably shouldn't have. Downtime was pretty minimal when I used my Shadowfiend intelligently.

Healed almost every leveling instance, as well. I would recommend glyphing for it, though. Glyph of PW:S is a must and you can do whatever you want with the others. I used Glyph of Flash Heal and, at 80, Glyph of Renew, but had I used something else I would have leveled even faster.

I was Holy during that time for all of an hour to play around with CoH in an instance and when I got out soloing was unbearable. I just didn't have the survivability or damage.

I was raid specced, as well. Filled out Disc and began Holy after.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbuhxtMxoifRt0xtc

Feel free to try Holy or stay Shadow, but I shall forever swear by Discipline.

Farnack

Banned
rhfb said:

Well, I don't know about now, but before, I did holy fire, smite, SWP, PWS, and then ended it with wanding. I had zero downtime, probably killed things 5 seconds slower, but I did it. I tried shadow on another priest and I had to constantly chug water even with spirit tap. I felt that Holy is probably faster with the lower downtime.

Of course, it depends if you had a good wand.

Chris R

Well right now I'm not having any mana issues at all with my shadow priest, even taking on level 70 mobs with my mostly outlands gear and my level 68 spells. I might try to do something like half disc/half holy later tonight, but if I even approach the amount of down time my 72 mage has I'm going back to shadow.

border

I have a Deep Thunder / Stormherald dual wield setup and it has been pretty nice leveling with Fury. It's up and down though....sometimes a mob can take forever when you see a series of frustrating Miss / Miss / Parry / Dodge......other times you're like "Holy shit I just killed that mob in 3 seconds" when you get crits on Victory Rush, Bloodthirst, Whirlwind and Slam.

It seems only marginally more fun than leveling as Arms though. Instead of sitting around waiting for the Mortal Strike/Whirlwind cooldowns to expire, now I sit around waiting for the Bloodthirst/Whirlwind cooldowns to expire. Watching for procs on Slam keeps it interesting, though probably no more interesting than it would be in Arms spec where I'd be watching for procs on Overpower and Sudden Death.

yacobod said:
How do you AOE grind as a prot warrior?

Eric WK

Kintaro said:

I would just kill the mobs fighting NPCs outside of the entrance to Shadow Labyrinth.

rhfb said:
Well right now I'm not having any mana issues at all with my shadow priest, even taking on level 70 mobs with my mostly outlands gear and my level 68 spells. I might try to do something like half disc/half holy later tonight, but if I even approach the amount of down time my 72 mage has I'm going back to shadow.
What spec is your mage? My mage had no down time at all from 70-80 as frost and killed extremely fast o.o

borghe said:
meh.. I've been in big successful raiding guilds before.. a bunch of RL friends actually have one of the top guilds on my old server. The thing about raiding guilds is there is typically only a very small handful of players who actually do any hard work. Manage the guild, the guild bank, consumables, DKP, inventories, epic trade item allocations, strategies, etc. I mean we were a guild of 100+ and the bottom line is there were only like 5 or so officers handling all of this really. the other 100+? Oh shit, they all had great gear, awesome stats, and the accomplishment of being in this guild that at the time had everything on farm pre-BC. But in reality all they did was show up, do what they were told to do, and spent DKP after each drop to get their items.

Unless he is one of these officers, frankly there is nothing overly impressive about him or his character, and the whole "we" part of his guild's accomplishments can more than likely be attributed to like 1-10 or so officers who are actually putting the time in to manage the guild and perfect the strategies to progress through the end game.

I mean how much effort is it really to app to the biggest guilds, show up and do what you're told?

That's pre-BC. Now, 2 years later, your guild have to be leaner and more intelligent and knowledgable across the board to be successful (however one may define it) in PvE.

Nooreo

I'm back on WoW and i am using this thing called multiaction bars

What are some of the hotkeys you guys use?! i need easy access hotkeys/keybindings

Xabora

*looks at active runes*

Oh yeah. (Just testing it in a build of mine) :lol

30b2oa9.jpg

Nitsuj23

Hero said:

Paladin - Retribution
Shaman - Enhancement
Priest - Shadow
Warrior - Fury DPS
Druid - Boomkin

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with an enhancement shaman? I'm elemental right now and have no problem getting in groups, and doing well.

Antagon

rhfb said:

I'm disc specced right now, and mana is not an issue for me at all. Penance, shadow word: death and holy fire are all pretty efficient spells dmg/mana wise and the mana regen is pretty good as well. Right now, I only use my wand when penance, holy fire and mind blast are on cooldown (at most once in a normal rotation) and never drink when soloing.

Nitsuj23 said:
Just out of curiosity what's wrong with an enhancement shaman? I'm elemental right now and have no problem getting in groups, and doing well.

i've topped the damage charts on every single heroic i've done as a ret pally, as well as saved the groups ass with hand of protection and healing when the main healer dies, among other things

but people are going to prefer i tank or heal since it's hard to find them. i think thats what he was getting at. all of those specs are viable.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nitsuj23 said:
Absolutely nothing should be stopping an Enhancement Shaman getting into a group for even Heroics these days. The only thing stopping them is Burning Crusade-mindset. We asked for CC to help with PVP and get into Heroics and we got Hex, let alone Reincarnate if the group wipes and someone to resurrect.

Lain

Farnack said:
How about 1 Prot Pally, 1 Holy Pally, 3 Ret Pally? 8D

I have never seen a Holy Pally that's questing other than myself. Everyone's a Ret and probably leveling as ret. I was able to kill things almost as fast as a Ret, maybe 2 seconds slower, with zero downtime. I think there is a stigma for leveling as a healer, so when people level as dps, they feel like staying dps after.

I leveled my paladin mostly as Holy (respecced 2 times ret while leveling up, and I'm keeping her ret for the time being for quests and dailies with respecs when needed to heal raids/instances), and what you're saying sounds weird to me.
As Ret I kill shit fast, faster than I could ever dream of as Holy. As Ret I do it with no downtime while using damage seals, as Holy to have no downtime I was forced to use Seal of Wisdom most if not all the time (those holy shocks coupled with the heals on myself would start to get me low pretty fast, plus the other seals did shitty damage anyways. might as well keep up the only really useful one that let me throw shocks and consecration as much as I please).
What's even better, as Ret with Holy gear on I do more damage than as Holy with Holy gear on and can solo the same group quests I can as Holy (actually, it's better/faster).
As Holy, I was faced alot of times with fights lasting 1 minutes or 2 as the HPs of the mobs increased, what with only Holy Shock doing some decent damage. 75 added ShotR to the damage mix, but it did about as much damage as a judgement, ie. it was kinda pathetic (450ish dmg with 800/900ish crit damage).
After I tried Ret, I wouldn't want to quest (or level) as Holy ever again, unless the changes to Judgement of the Pure make the judgements hit for something more than the pretty low damage they do now as Holy.

Btw, for the first time today I was the party tank. Specced prot for it and did CoT:Strat and The Oculus. It was a blast, but so many cooldowns to watch. Still was pretty fun. I only had 498 def (which became 508 after The Oculus, thanks to the boss dropping the ring and completing the quest for the bracer) but I think I did pretty well. Afterwards went questing in Icecrown to see what it was like as prot, and it was nice up until Coprous the Defiled. Couldn't get this group quest done, so respecced ret and did it as that. I don't know why Blizzard would allow the main target of a g5 quest to be mezzable/fearable, but well, better for me I guess.

Finally got loot coming to me. Either lost rolls in 10 man, had shitty stuff that was rob-peter-to-pay-paul sidegrades fall into my lap, or working on 25 Malygos (protip: he runs his fucking mouth alot). Need more Emblems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom