• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epix said:
How do you make equipment invisible?
Can only turn off the cloak and the headpiece.

Go to options then click display on the left and you'll find em'.

Infinitemadness said:
Is that Ice Striker's Cloak? Just had that made myself...I think I'll turn my cloak off tho :(
It's the Tattered Castle Drape. I'll probably turn it off when the gimmick gets old but it's fun for now. I hate that everything is all brown.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I'm actually thinking of going back and lvling up my Warrior (a class that I would actively want to try tanking with as a primary role) from 42. Has the protection tree changed enough to go ahead and respect to prot at this level?

Lord Phol

Kintaro said:
I'm actually thinking of going back and lvling up my Warrior (a class that I would actively want to try tanking with as a primary role) from 42. Has the protection tree changed enough to go ahead and respect to prot at this level?

Definitely, I was swiching back and forth a bit between prot and fury on my warrior at level 48-55 and had the best uptime and most fun with prot. You will probably outdps most in instances, you will get invited because you can tank, you will MASSACRE people in bgs (even twinks won't take you down that easily) and it's just overall fun. Good surviveability and lots of buttons to click, revenge hits like a beast!

Spent the day mopping up Malygos25 and the last of Naxx25. Loot acquired.

Then we went in and worked on 3 Drakes up Sartharian25. Shit just got FUCKING real. :lol

Hero

etiolate said:
Hero is still an idiot though. Reminds me of when we did ZA bear runs with a smite priest, boomkin and my Ele. People responded "well I guess the rogue did well enough to bail the rest of you out." The truth was Ele/Boomkin was nasty dps synergy in BC that the old fuds never learned about.

First of all I said I was talking about 5 man heroic groups. Obviously the Ele/Boomkin synergy isn't going to happen all that often in 5 mans. Next, if you're running fucking bear runs then you obviously have great gear and are a good player, so you didn't really prove anything.

Kintaro said:
Yep. At 42 you'll have every move necessary to make things work. Protection easily has the most interesting combat of the three trees and is pretty stress-free with warbringer.

Just make sure to pick up Glyph of Revenge and Glyph of Blocking when you can because they really add a lot to the class.

Hero

No Means Nomad said:
Yep. At 42 you'll have every move necessary to make things work. Protection easily has the most interesting combat of the three trees and is pretty stress-free with warbringer.

Just make sure to pick up Glyph of Revenge and Glyph of Blocking when you can because they really add a lot to the class.

You're telling him to got Prot and not telling him to get Glyph of Thunderclap? :p

Farnack

Banned
SatelliteOfLove said:
Spent the day mopping up Malygos25 and the last of Naxx25. Loot acquired.

Then we went in and worked on 3 Drakes up Sartharian25. Shit just got FUCKING real. :lol
Going for the "Shit just got FUCKING real" achievement, eh?

Man, I love Blizzard's achievements. Tons of rewards, lotsa silly achievements, and achievements that really are EPIC achievements.

Not just another 100 space points by meleeing 100 enemies to death in some random fps.

Hero said:
You're telling him to got Prot and not telling him to get Glyph of Thunderclap? :p
Thunderclap is pretty terrible but the selection on minor glyphs is a bunch of really useless stuff for Warriors besides Bloodrage.

I finished Nexus about an hour and a half ago. Beautiful instance, and very well designed; I'm really loving that these new instances can be fully cleared relatively quickly. We had no problems with the trash mobs but 3 of the 4 bosses gave us trouble.

Grand Magus Telestra: We wiped a couple times before our healer looked up the fight online and found out Telestra's clones can be sheeped. After we learned that it was easy

Anomalus: Wiped the first time simply because this fucker has a TON of health (192k). He's not that hard, you just have to kill the rifts he spawns

Ormorok: Simple tank n spank, although he does throw you into the air if you step on the crystals he puts in the ground

Keristrasza: We shouldn't have wiped on her. You just have to move around a lot, making sure she can't aim her fire attack at casters.

Lesson of the day: don't do Nexus unless you have heavy DPS and at least one mage. DPS for the bosses since they have a shit ton of hp, mage(s) for cc mainly on Telestra

Farnack

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
Lesson of the day: don't do Nexus unless you have heavy DPS and at least one mage. DPS for the bosses since they have a shit ton of hp, mage(s) for cc mainly on Telestra
Is this on heroic? Nexus is pretty easy.

The only trouble I had was with the mage because there was too much crap going on. I still don't know what's going on. I JUST HEAL!

Farnack said:
Is this on heroic? Nexus is pretty easy.

The only trouble I had was with the mage because there was too much crap going on. I still don't know what's going on. I JUST HEAL!

Nah regular, I'm lv70

Overall it's not that hard as long as you're prepared. Much more interesting than Utgarde Keep

Wes

venison crêpe
Got my set shoulders from Naxx last night woo! Done spider and construct up to thaddius now, will try him on Sunday. That sounds like a really fun fight.

Swag

Xyphie said:
What addons are there for Debuff tracking (Dots, Fear, Banish etc)? I'm not digging NECB much. :/

Are you talking about your own debuffs or someone else's? For mine I use classtimer, works pretty well but only tracks what you have on other people

Macattk15

Cleared Naxx 10 last night .... still need to do some recruiting to get into the 25's.

We had Gluth, Thadd, Saph and KT left.

I had to solo kite the zombies on Gluth. Wasn't easy ... being a Fury warrior. I took some hits but it generally worked out.

Was using Thunderclap to pick them up and Piercing Howl to slow em down.

did they buff pallies damage enough so that without gear its actually bearable to level with ret? I always wanted to level a pally but god it was a nightmare at how slow they kill.

Dina

Hope to jump back in WOTLK somewhere after the weekend. Job, sports and my loving girlfriend makes time a bit scarce, but I ain't in a rush.

witness

GhostRidah said:
did they buff pallies damage enough so that without gear its actually bearable to level with ret? I always wanted to level a pally but god it was a nightmare at how slow they kill.

Ret pallies are amazing while soloing, in decent gear you should be able to take down a mob in at most 4 moves. Since it seems like you haven't played in a while ret only uses "warrior" gear now. Ret is a lot of fun.

So last night was our first run in naxx. I main tanked it, paladin, I was nervous as hell at the start. I never tanked any raid in BC and well I'm our guilds only geared tank so it was pretty much all riding on me and our healers. Our healers though are fantastically geared, they're really amazing. So we cleared the entire arachnid wing with no wipes, then after feeling really good about ourselves we went to patchwerk. First attempt not enough dps before the enrage, was close but the problem was a warlock was d/c'd =/ Second try we got him down to 4k, ugh. So finally the 3rd time was a charm. They had me run back to the wall when I would pull him, this time I would do a short range pull and they would jump on dps right away and instead this time I put BoM on the hateful strike sponge next to me, since well he didn't need sanctuary for this fight.

I did get gloves, but I got plate dps gloves :lol We have no dps warriors or ret pallies that raid with us so I'm pretty much game for getting all those drops :D C'mon duel spec system and a 2h'er dropping. We're going back on saturday.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
No Means Nomad said:

Sweet. I just want to pick up a sword, a shield and slam things in the face. My role is clear and there's no debate about it. Sure, I'll starting back at 43, but at least my purpose is clear.

Here is my warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwater+Raiders&n=Darsh

No Means Nomad said:

Definitely concur on both of these glyphs. GoBlocking increases your block value (duh) which, among other things, makes your shield slams hit harder.

GoRevenge is AMAZING--you can make a macro:

/cast Revenge
/cast Heroic Strike

And when revenge lights up, press it once and you'll do a revenge AND queue up a heroic strike. With some timing you can get some awesome burst.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Definitely concur on both of these glyphs. GoBlocking increases your block value (duh) which, among other things, makes your shield slams hit harder.

GoRevenge is AMAZING--you can make a macro:

/cast Revenge
/cast Heroic Strike

And when revenge lights up, press it once and you'll do a revenge AND queue up a heroic strike. With some timing you can get some awesome burst.
I would actually advise against a macro for it just because every once in awhile your revenge will miss and you won't get the free Heroic Strike. This can hurt your rage generation pretty severely if you didn't want to waste a swing on a HS.

Macattk15

No Means Nomad said:
I would actually advise against a macro for it just because every once in awhile your revenge will miss and you won't get the free Heroic Strike. This can hurt your rage generation pretty severely if you didn't want to waste a swing on a HS.

Meh ... if you're tanking a boss, you should be overflowing with rage and you should rarely see white damage ... from them beating your face in.

No Means Nomad said:

There is definitely that possibility, but I've found that at least while leveling, I haven't been rage starved enough for it to make a difference. And in leveling instances, with the unwillingness (and non-necessity with the nerfed nature of the content) of the DPS to CC, I am always at 50%+ rage.

This may change at 80--but so far, at 72, it hasn't been a problem.

Macattk15 said:
Meh ... if you're tanking a boss, you should be overflowing with rage and you should rarely see white damage ... from them beating your face in.
In a raid it doesn't matter, but we're talking about leveling up here. I was pretty rage starved leveling up but that's mostly because I used that super slow mace from the Amphitheater of Anguish.

I can see why people would macro it, it's really not a big deal, but I wouldn't just in case.

Macattk15

No Means Nomad said:
In a raid it doesn't matter, but we're talking about leveling up here. I was pretty rage starved leveling up but that's mostly because I used that super slow mace from the Amphitheater of Anguish.

I can see why people would macro it, it's really not a big deal, but I wouldn't just in case.

Ah my bad, didn't know we were talking about leveling ... damn my poor reading comprehension!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No Means Nomad said:
Thunderclap is pretty terrible but the selection on minor glyphs is a bunch of really useless stuff for Warriors besides Bloodrage.

Glyph of Bloodrage is useless too. The health penalty for Bloodrage is BASE health, not health after Stamina bonuses; it ends up being some insignificant amounts like 2-4% of your health.

But Glyph of Charge is NOT useless. It's in fact, completely awesome for PvE and PvP.

No Means Nomad said:

Completely unrelated: I think I want to respec fury. I'm only 72 still and I know it isn't the best leveling build, but I think I'm going to run UK enough to get 2 of those big axes and then just solo up to 75 or so before I respec prot.

I've been prot forever (meaning back when leveling as prot was about as retarded as you could be, I was in Felwood whacking Timbermaw with sword/board) and I really want to check out Titan's Grip. I'll probably get frustrated pretty quick since prot is SOOOOO OP right now for leveling, but it just sounds too fun. And I need a switch.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SnakeswithLasers said:
Completely unrelated: I think I want to respec fury. I'm only 72 still and I know it isn't the best leveling build, but I think I'm going to run UK enough to get 2 of those big axes and then just solo up to 75 or so before I respec prot.

I've been prot forever (meaning back when leveling as prot was about as retarded as you could be, I was in Felwood whacking Timbermaw with sword/board) and I really want to check out Titan's Grip. I'll probably get frustrated pretty quick since prot is SOOOOO OP right now for leveling, but it just sounds too fun. And I need a switch.
Yeah, I don't know. I seem to remember hating how you die a lot more often when specc'd Fury, losing 6000 armor rating and taking 10% more damage. It wasn't as fun as being Protection.

The grind isn't that bad if you just do quests for 3 days and leave your guy in Dalaran overnight. You amass enough Rest XP to make instancing totally worth it.

Rinse and repeat to level 80. That's just the way I do it though. I personally find questing to be as easy as it gets, especially in WotLK. Even group quests have 5 to 6 people just waiting around for someone else to help you with.

Angry Grimace said:
Glyph of Bloodrage is useless too. The health penalty for Bloodrage is BASE health, not health after Stamina bonuses; it ends up being some insignificant amounts like 2-4% of your health.
Every percent counts. Taking a 5% health decrease just for some rage isn't something I'm interested in doing.
Angry Grimace said:
But Glyph of Charge is NOT useless. It's in fact, completely awesome for PvE and PvP.
I agree it's not useless, but it's a pretty empty talent (I have it myself). As a close range class I never find myself needing to move more than 25 yards at once. The extra five is nice it's an extra second or two of walking. I wouldn't say charge is all that essential in PvE. It's a risk to charge bosses if you lose them because they won't take the stun and you could end up a few steps behind them, and I only find myself using it to put myself into combat initially or to avoid a fall if a boss knocks me up in the air. The five yards won't really do anything in either of those situations.
SnakeswithLasers said:

Titan's Grip has a lot of appeal, and fury was a pretty popular spec for leveling up in WotLK despite the fact it fell to the wayside in Vanilla and BC. I'm sort of looking to gear back up for Fury even at 80 because I'm actually finding more groups are needing DPS than tanks on my server. I'm really glad Titan's Grip didn't ship with the proposed 15% miss rate, but I hate that it's saving an otherwise uninteresting and bland spec.

Fury isn't really that much worse than prot for leveling, but as prot I didn't have a problem solo-ing group quests recommended for as many as three players, and I know I couldn't have done it as fury (unless they'd kept the super heals on Bloodthirst in the game).

Angry Grimace

No Means Nomad said:
Every percent counts. Taking a 5% health decrease just for some rage isn't something I'm interested in doing.
I don't see how you could possibly find a situation in which the health cost of Bloodrage is anything other than highly trivial, unless you have no stamina at all, and being a Warrior, you've got to have tons. I use it all the time. Bloodrage is a dead useful talent. I'm not saying you should be spamming it every time it comes up, but it's one of the more essential talents for a warrior.

I agree it's not useless, but it's a pretty empty talent (I have it myself). As a close range class I never find myself needing to move more than 25 yards at once. The extra five is nice it's an extra second or two of walking. I wouldn't say charge is all that essential in PvE. It's a risk to charge bosses if you lose them because they won't take the stun and you could end up a few steps behind them, and I only find myself using it to put myself into combat initially or to avoid a fall if a boss knocks me up in the air. The five yards won't really do anything in either of those situations.
Empty Talent?

I would like to charge whenever I have the option. There are lots of bosses that dump aggro, and I'd like to be over there ASAP, and I sure as hell would like the rage. It may not be useful.

I really don't know what to tell you if you think Glyph of Thunderclap and Glyph of Charge are both completely useless, and the Charge talent is "empty."

Angry Grimace

Interfectum said:
How's the Death Knight population at 80? Overcrowded?
No greater than any other population if you ask me, but varies by server.

Angry Grimace said:
I don't see how you could possibly find a situation in which the health cost of Bloodrage is anything other than highly trivial, unless you have no stamina at all, and being a Warrior, you've got to have tons. I use it all the time. Bloodrage is a dead useful talent. I'm not saying you should be spamming it every time it comes up, but it's one of the more essential talents for a warrior.
I have bad gear. My HP tops at at 19k right now unbuffed. I need to watch it. Thanks for bringing back painful memories jerk.

Angry Grimace said:
Empty Talent?

I would like to charge whenever I have the option. There are lots of bosses that dump aggro, and I'd like to be over there ASAP, and I sure as hell would like the rage. It may not be useful.
So know the fight? You should have enough presence in a fight to know where the boss is going to be if he dumps aggro, and like I said charging mid-fight is dangerous. At that point why not use intervene? I don't think rage would exactly be a problem(especially if you had Glyph of Bloodrage amirite?). If it reduced the cooldown timer I might agree with you but the extra five yards will almost never come into play, and there's really no reason for a tank to be that far from a boss. Really ever.

Angry Grimace said:
I really don't know what to tell you if you think Glyph of Thunderclap and Glyph of Charge are both completely useless, and the Charge talent is "empty."
They are useless. Glyph of Thunderclap is for people who can't round up mobs properly, which is easy enough as protection, and the extra 2 meters on an AoE might help if you were a DPS class but for a tank it's just silly. Everything should be sticking to you as it is. Glyph of Charge just doesn't have many practical uses for me to think it's worthwhile. Charge isn't a move commonly used by tanks, and the need for an extra five yards on it is even more unlikely. They're sort of silly.

Xabora

Epix said:
Enlighten us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ardhanarishvara

The term 'Ardhanarishvara' is a combination of three words- 'ardha', 'nari' and 'ishvara', meaning respectively, 'half', 'woman' and 'Lord' or 'God', that is, Ardhanarishvara is the Lord whose half is woman, or who is half woman. Some scholars interpret the term as meaning 'the half male' who is Shiva and 'the half female' who is Parvati.

I kept Ardha removed nari and kept ishvara.
However Ardhaishvara was too long for ingame use to I trimmed it down to Ardhavara.

Alex

What is DPS in Heroics supposed to be like? Because I've done about 20 so far with various groups and the DK I duo with is just lapping people

Even when tanking.

Actually tanks in general seem to crush the DPS in my new guild.

Tend to play with a lot of Mages and Locks, but Rogues, etc, get drown out as well. Curious if it's a design issue or I'm just playing with shitty DPS

etiolate

Banned
Depending on the dungeon(uptime/downtime/aoe) I do between 1800-2100 heroic dps. I am not sure if thats par or not. Beating a heroic I think would be at least 1400? Doing stuff like the Strat speed run would require 2k maybe.

edit: Almost all tanks do aoe damage now and that's why they're putting out high dps in heroics.

I was this close to going out and buying Wrath of the Lich King tonight. I'm not currently active, but as soon as the semester ends, I'm going to activate and get WotLK. Or maybe I'll cave and get it before the end of the semester...I'm not sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I finally got it!!! :D

ahYYaCAqi.jpg

witness

So we went into obsidium sanctum tonight. I main tanked it (pally), the warrior is a newer 80 and had 3k less hp than me. So we have no problems on any of the trash or the two bosses surrounded sath. We wiped twice on sath, dps/healers getting hit by the lava waves. Third time was a charm. So he drops his wicked ass tanking ring, OT rolls an 18, I think this is it! I got it, its mine......and I roll a 13. I am so upset tonight....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom