• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Sullen said:
It is. I used to play on Illidan (one of the most popular and crowded servers) and it was a complete cesspool in the way you described, no real 'casuals'. Transferring to a medium server was the best thing I did. The progression server wide isn't as good, but the people are much more laid back toward the game. There are always gonna be fucktards in the game, no matter what server, but some of the servers are much more laid back than others.

Oddly, my server is Medium, but it's listed as RP...but it's one of those servers where no one actually RPs. Weird. Bah, maybe I'll just wipe the slate clean or something...

Xabora

Downed Kel last night. (Had to teach a few new people how to handle the encounters.)
2uf9g1t.jpg

Too Bad the Axe didn't drop. :(
lgods.jpg

Also, how a real man farms Mammoth Meat for the guild
1zn7gna.jpg

I call this art. :D
vzkb3n.jpg

firex

Scum said:
Bah! How do you guys afford your fancy mounts?!?! I mean, 5000G for Artisan! o_O
farmed for a longass time at 70 after TBC, and after 3.0 I did the shattered sun grind on my unretired paladin to get 3300g (I did other dailies too, but mostly SSO). still sitting on about 4850g because I loaned a friend 1700g so he could buy his epic flyer.

Kintaro

Well, my girlfriend's friends play on a normal/medium server and they have invited us into their guild, which seems like a nice, tight knit group who have experience. So, I rerolled a Dwarf Warrior (best race in the game imo).

Now, Warrior vets, with the talent trees as they are now, which spec will level me up quickly on my way back up the leveling guild of unforgiving shithell?

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
So found out if you summon your DRW and then cast Army of the Undead you get a double summon :lol I take it Hysterias don't stack?

And any other DKs tried DW yet? Heard some good things about it on some forums so thought I'd get it a try, my gear ain't the best (http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Halls&n=Daybowbow) so was curious what someone with proper gear could do.

Edit: Seems my profile is not up to date.

firex

EJ says the only really viable builds for dw DK are tri-specs, and I believe them. you don't really want frost beyond howling blast, killing machine, and improved icy talons (although I guess blood of the north also counts) but you do want necrosis and blood-caked blade. I'm not quite sure where the blood points go, but it seems like going deep into any one spec = you need to be using a 2h. and if you tank, you need to be using a 2h. otherwise you get murdered by parry-haste.

edit: also, Kintaro, I say go arms. most people say fury, and they have a point (fury will generate rage quickly and is pretty simple to play, plus it's the dps spec) but arms will get you used to using 2handers. like I probably wouldn't go fury until I could get titan's grip just because anymore, blizzard makes 1h weapons that are designed around tanking or have rogue/hunter/shaman dps stats. fury is by no means bad, and I leveled a fury warrior before TBC and thought it was pretty fun. but arms has some good shit in it now and requires slightly less gear since you only need one weapon. by the time you can afford to have 2 good weapons (from outland or northrend or something) you can go titan's grip anyway.

Kintaro said:
Well, my girlfriend's friends play on a normal/medium server and they have invited us into their guild, which seems like a nice, tight knit group who have experience. So, I rerolled a Dwarf Warrior (best race in the game imo).

Now, Warrior vets, with the talent trees as they are now, which spec will level me up quickly on my way back up the leveling guild of unforgiving shithell?

i've heard fury with a 2 hander to compensate for the missing you'd be doing if you were using 2 one handers. I'm leveling a warrior now as protection and its a blast, but she's all pimped out in Heirloom gear and shit so I have better gear than the average bear.

Scum

Well, I've managed to accumulate 1800G throughout my travels. Looks like I need to get started on farming too. lol

Kintaro

Flesh Into Gear said:
i've heard fury with a 2 hander to compensate for the missing you'd be doing if you were using 2 one handers. I'm leveling a warrior now as protection and its a blast, but she's all pimped out in Heirloom gear and shit so I have better gear than the average bear.

Where do you pick up the Heirloom stuff?

I like the Arms idea. I've never tried it and I've done prot and fury before.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Scum said:
Bah! How do you guys afford your fancy mounts?!?! I mean, 5000G for Artisan! o_O
Buying stuff on the AH and reselling it.

I either do it because someone decided to place it up for far less money then what it is worth
or
I do it to keep the price inflated.

In the last week alone, I would say I made enough gold for epic mounts for 2 characters.:lol

Scum

shintoki said:
Buying stuff on the AH and reselling it.

I either do it because someone decided to place it up for far less money then what it is worth
or
I do it to keep the price inflated.

In the last week alone, I would say I made enough gold for epic mounts for 2 characters.:lol
:eek:

:O

Can I be one of those chars? :lol
Maybe it's time for me to put up my skinning and put it to damn good use!

Won

firex said:
EJ says the only really viable builds for dw DK are tri-specs, and I believe them. you don't really want frost beyond howling blast, killing machine, and improved icy talons (although I guess blood of the north also counts) but you do want necrosis and blood-caked blade. I'm not quite sure where the blood points go, but it seems like going deep into any one spec = you need to be using a 2h. and if you tank, you need to be using a 2h. otherwise you get murdered by parry-haste.

Actually it looks like many people are dropping the blood stuff and put more points into frost or unholy.

Overall this, like firex already mentioned, seems to be the base spec for DW at the moment and from there you can do whatever you want. Blood, more frost or more unholy....all seem to work.

I will try something like this out over the next week. I only got to 80 yesterday so I don't have the equip to really support it, but after trying a blood focused 2h build, I already start to miss all the unholy stuff I had during leveling and I really want to try out DW myself.

Scum said:
:eek:

:O

Can I be one of those chars?
Maybe it's time for me to put up my skinning and put it to damn good use!

Gathering profession really help. On the day I hit 80 I got ~1000 gold out of cobalt, frostweave and quest rewards. Really helped with that 5000g thing. :D

border

Flesh Into Gear said:
-5% hit on special abilities is not that bad. You can probably compensate for it with a few enchants or something. It's probably made up for anyway, given that your swing speed is constantly buffed by talents.....so you miss a little more often, but you're swinging far more often anyway.

I'm having plenty of fun leveling with Fury, though it doesn't seem much different than Arms really. Just different buttons.

Xabora

witness said:
They're removing any hit penalty from TG in the next patch, none at all so yeah fury is gonna be pretty insane.
Gonna hurt my DPS standing now. :(
But I got muh buffs. :D

Also I broke Dalaran. :O
TAKE THAT NO FLY ZONE!
2dj6hhj.jpg

So I'm thinking about picking up WoW again thanks to the new expansion and summer holidays with nothing to do. I don't want to play my 70 Rogue (them being terrible in the expansion and whatnot), so it's down to starting a DK or leveling up another toon which will probably be a hunter or shaman.

Of course, I have to buy WotLK to start a DK and I don't really want to do that considering I'll only be playing it for about 6 weeks. That and the fact that I really prefer leveling than the endgame, is making me lean towards starting a new character. But, if you guys can convince me that the WotLK experience is simply amazing and life changing, I'll bite.

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
Orbitcube said:
Of course, I have to buy WotLK to start a DK and I don't really want to do that considering I'll only be playing it for about 6 weeks. That and the fact that I really prefer leveling than the endgame, is making me lean towards starting a new character. But, if you guys can convince me that the WotLK experience is simply amazing and life changing, I'll bite.

It's better than vanilla or TBC. Also, you need to get WotLK anyway if you want to level. Or well, do anything worthwhile since the old zones are ghost towns. :lol

firex

I wouldn't call the WotLK experience life changing, but WotLK quests are a billion times more fun than TBC quests. There are still lots of boring "go kill these guys and collect these drops" quests, but a surprising amount that involve no combat, crazy shit like vehicles, soloing elites with 5x your HP at minimum (that's going off me in my tank gear with 23k unbuffed) thanks to overpowered quest buffs/minions, quests that permanently change the look of the zone you're in, and Wrathgate.

Also the DK starting zone is like the best ever, really. And if you like leveling, you'd want to make a DK anyway. They start out at 55 and finish their zone at 58, so you'd get to do Outland all over again.

edit: RE: DK dual wield specs, using the base Won linked I added some more to it (sort of?) in a pure DPS perspective and still had 5 points left that could probably be spent on desecration, or reaping + an aura, or dual auras + a 1 point talent like deathchill, or blood of the north. you could also probably drop lichborne and runic power mastery so you'd have another 4 talents, maybe so you could get both reaping and blood of the north and have your aoe rotation be full death runes.
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jZG0etcxbRhoZfMhhtckx0o

I personally enjoy the big numbers of 2h specs too much, but you'll get big numbers using howling blast when you proc killing machine, and probably kill faster, too.

I would advise to just do northrend quests for your 5k epic flying skill, thats what I did on my DK. I got 5k gold from all the quests up until half way of the sharazin basin quests leaving icecrown and more than half of storm peaks available for quest money at 80. definetly wait and get the mount at level 77 or 78 you wont need it before that, and when I got my epic flyer I had no gold but did the daily quests and got 400-500g within the next two hours.

Kintaro

Should I level Blacksmithing/MIning as I level up, or just go Mining/Skinning for the money route then just go back later for the BS...or maybe Enginnering...my warrior is a Dwarf now after all...

Sullen

Kintaro said:
Oddly, my server is Medium, but it's listed as RP...but it's one of those servers where no one actually RPs. Weird. Bah, maybe I'll just wipe the slate clean or something...

Hm, that is unusual. RP servers are usually the most laid back of them all, and I'm not sure that there are any RP servers where people actually RP. :lol Just out of curiosity, what sever do you play on? Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere in the thread.

Kintaro

Sullen said:
Hm, that is unusual. RP servers are usually the most laid back of them all, and I'm not sure that there are any RP servers where people actually RP. :lol Just out of curiosity, what sever do you play on? Not sure if you mentioned it elsewhere in the thread.

Blackwater Raiders

Scum

GhostRidah said:
I would advise to just do northrend quests for your 5k epic flying skill, thats what I did on my DK. I got 5k gold from all the quests up until half way of the sharazin basin quests leaving icecrown and more than half of storm peaks available for quest money at 80. definetly wait and get the mount at level 77 or 78 you wont need it before that, and when I got my epic flyer I had no gold but did the daily quests and got 400-500g within the next two hours.
Cool. Cheers for that. :D

Won

I hate you Blizzard for the last 5 points in engineering. That is just stupid. Nothing good to level up. The goggles are bop and expensive, so building more as one is a waste and the other 2 things are already green and rarely give a point. -.-

I also tried the DW build I posted earlier and it is awesome. Didn't expect howling blast to hit for over 4k on everything in a 10yard radius.^^

Ikuu

I'm tri-spec just now, but I'm thinking of just trying a Frost/Unholy build instead, worried about losing the -threat and the Rune Power on a kill though.

Farnack

Banned
Sullen said:
I'm on a RP server where no one RPs, and if there are RPers, they are so funny. XD

I met an orc warrior who would put out an emote "(Name) eye's start to glow red of rage as he readies his axe." and then yell out stuff like "LOKTAR'OGAR!" or "FOR THE HORDE" when he procs bladestorm.

Sullen

Farnack said:
I'm on a RP server where no one RPs, and if there are RPers, they are so funny. XD

Haha yep, same way on the RP server I play on. The only time I ever encounter any RP'ers is really late at night in low level towns, and even then they are ultra rare.

Won

Did Wintergraps for the first time today and I'm shocked how much fun it was. So much more enjoyable than the keeps in Warhammer. Weird.

Erudite

Heh. Just got approved on GAF, and I was wondering where all the World of Warcraft talk was. Guess this thread answers my question. :D

Finally got around to getting my Epic Flyer. I didn't during BC because I started into it pretty late, and quit right after my guild got Karazhan on farm.

Just did a bunch of quests in Icecrown until I had enough.

FlyingMount.jpg

Now to start working on getting a Netherwing Drake and doing Heroics for Naxx.

witness

So my DK is 74 now, in grizzly hills. Like the zone, like seeing things form the ally side now. Can't wait to get to Zul Drak though, love love love that zone. Wanna hit 75 and start lfg'ing for Ampitheatre and get that sexy axe.

Didn't really play my pally this weekend, just setup a deal with a miner and a BS, sent the titanium bars to the miner to make me the titansteel bars and the BS will make me the destroyer mace. It'll be nice to have for my ret set, especially when two specs launches someday. But I am SICK of tanking, absolutely sick of it. Guild got a bunch of tanks recently, they don't need me as much anymore anyway. Back to ret as soon as I get that mace made.

Farnack said:
lol I beat saph ending with 90% mana. XD

Pally are awesome endurance healers.
Because lord knows spasming about during vortex with spiritual attunement is something to brag about.

Err... Saph isn't Maly. Dumb dragons. Anyways I hate vortex.

Farnack

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Because lord knows spasming about during vortex with spiritual attunement is something to brag about.

Err... Saph isn't Maly. Dumb dragons. Anyways I hate vortex.
Pally played right has infinite mana 8P

Beat Kel practically 9 man with 1 tank and ended up with 90% mana again.

Lord Phol

So got to level 69 and northrend on my DK last night yay! Started out in Howling Fjord and it was pretty fun, great music, fun quests and the landscape/atmosphere itself was awesome ^^.
Queued up for Utgarde Keep first thing, noticed the lack of healers (seems to be very few of those on the realm atm) and started questing away :x. 4 hours later and not a single invite -.-, I finally got a group together with some guildies! Didn't get any drops but it was fun and can't wait to do it again :p.
Been both tanking and dpsing alot and I can't praise the Deah and Decay Glyph enough, it's pure awesome, procs everytime and helps lower incomng damage alot for the tank/group as well as give a little more breathing space/control over the fight. Glad to see it isn't getting nerfed/changed in the upcoming patch ^^'.

Also specced into Frost from blood and even though it's loads of fun once u get the hang of it (had to make 2 extra hotkeys just for froststrike and howling blast) I'm not seeing the big numbers yet as everyone else seems to do :s. Almost all my main yellow attaks crit for about 1.3k (Obliterate, frost strike, Howling blast) while as blood spec I got numbers up to 1.9k on my obliterate crits and over 2.5k on my runic strike :eek:.
Maybe it scales better once I get some gear but not too impressed at the moment, even though popping deathchill and then HB on like 5+ diseased mobs feels pretty damn nice >:D.

f@luS

More than a member.
i dont get how some dk are having 3.5/4k dps
I have many blues from heroic, some epic, the 170dps 2H from one pf the reputation
and im stuck around 2000dps. Rogue are doing 3K, demo 2.6k more or less
this is annoying, im blood 51/13/7

Hmmm

Guild was supposed to raid tonight, I was absent due to having to work

I get home and it seems my guild didn't raid and several members of the guild were removed or quit....

Ugh, guild drama

But my position in the guild should improve greatly from it.......and if the reason for this drama is what I think it is, then I agree with the GM and RL's decision totally

People were starting to feel they were entitled to shit despite the fact that Naxx isn't going away anytime soon and no new raids will be added anytime soon

Oh and my low-medium pop server had a really short queue today.....that was a first, perhaps my server is considered a "legit" server now or something haha

Kletian

Has anyone played a DK on the PTR yet (assuming the next patch is up that is) I was wondering what all the new sigils they've added and we're they're sold at.

Edit: Also, I gotta say I'm getting a bit tired of the DK Tank stigma that's been running rampant on the servers (or mine at least anyway) I've tanked every heroic so far and hav edone so successfully, I've tanked the Spider wing of Naxx. But every time a PuG gets together it's the same "oh well I don't really like DK tanks"

It's happened twice so far with two server Naxx-25 PuGs. We're not bad tanks people, just until they patch us you need a healer on his A-game who's not afriad to heal us when our cooldowns are up.

Though I suppose that says something about their faith in their own healers if they don't want us around ;)

firex

nobody's really min/maxed the DK yet either. not even on EJ, outside of theorycrafting.

personally I think when people figure out DK tanks, there will be very little demand for feral tanks anymore since they cover a similar role, have similarly absurd HP, but DKs have more avoidance and tons of spell mitigation.

Kletian

Azwethinkweiz said:
The problem isn't so much that DKs are bad tanks, it's that most of the people playing DKs right now are terrible.

Oh no I get that, hense the 'stigma'. We're the new Paladins as far as the '90% of them suck but if you find that one or two who know how to play the class hold on to them for dear life' thing about them right now.

I'm hoping a lot of the issues will be ironed out with the next patch. I enjoy my cooldowns but it would be nice to not have my asshole tighten on every pull because of all the spikey damage I get.

But it's so nice as a DK tank to not have to worry about replacement on bosses like Loken or Cyanagosa thanks to all the magic shields I have at my disposal.

Ikuu

Well guess it's going to be quite awhile before I get Artisan flying, just spent around 2000g today on various stuff from the AH (mainly a Spiked Titansteel Helm and some gems).

Macattk15

f@luS said:
i dont get how some dk are having 3.5/4k dps
I have many blues from heroic, some epic, the 170dps 2H from one pf the reputation
and im stuck around 2000dps. Rogue are doing 3K, demo 2.6k more or less
this is annoying, im blood 51/13/7

I did nearly 5k DPS on Razuvious and Patchwerk the other night as Titan's Grip Fury. Don't know how but that's not really normal. Usually I'm in the 3.5-4k range though on all fights.

I've never seen a rogue put out 3k though. Even players who I knew as being awesome in TBC are barely touching 2400.

Hunters are out of control currently.

Macattk15

Ikuu said:
Well guess it's going to be quite awhile before I get Artisan flying, just spent around 2000g today on various stuff from the AH (mainly a Spiked Titansteel Helm and some gems).

Good purchase. That helm is so full of win for a long time.

firex

I've thought about buying the epic tank helm, but idk. I'd almost rather have something with a meta just so I could use the +21 defense/+5% block value meta. at least I finally got my epic belt, though. I just need to get 5-6 more defense from other upgrades (probably shield and bracers, possibly raid drops) so I can either craft a ruby hare or get lavanthor's talisman as my first trinket.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I hate being indecisive with classes.

I got a 70 alliance mage, 80 horde priest, and 70 horde rogue. On the priest I've been running 10 and 25 mans.. but I realized I hate healing.

And I also realized I love Death Knight(level 63).

Re-leveling, re-farming gold, re-doing profession. ;_;

re...tarded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom