• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Won said:
Well lets wait and see, if it goes live. But yeah, this will be great. :D

Not sure how it plays out with my spec. Makes Rime kinda useless. Well here comes the runic power mastery! It also a sign from blizzard that I really should put points into Epidemic. ^^
Not sure why you'd drop Rime, if anything this makes Rime even better, since you'll be able to use the Rime for a Howling Blast and then follow up with another Howling Blast right away.

Macattk15

So I just got "The Jawbone" from Maexenna last night. Put my Titansteel Destroyer in my offhand.

Should I enchant it with Massacre or Berserking? I hate procs, but I know the better enchant is Berserking :(.

Won

Ikuu said:
Not sure why you'd drop Rime, if anything this makes Rime even better, since you'll be able to use the Rime for a Howling Blast and then follow up with another Howling Blast right away.

I need to see how it plays out first, but I guess with the removal of the HB cooldown, my IT useage will be greatly reduced and 15% proc chance doesn't quite cut it.
But I'm not really good at theorycrafting and the rune system doesn't make it easier.^^

Lord Phol

firex said:
They nerfed the glyph of death and decay because it was overpowered as hell and turned the spell into very reliable group CC. I mean there's a reason I always looked for this unholy DK I know for running heroics, and it's not just because he knows how to dps.

I'm mainly liking the change to the IT glyph. at this point, I'd almost consider it a required major glyph regardless of DK spec.

I don't see the problem with this, it was a great way to gain some minor cc both in PvE and PvP at the cost of 3-runes (which was the way D&D iself worked before). Great way to help the healer or tank when things get rough, I've used it on numerous occasions to help the group get some control over the situation.
Now it will just be too ureliable to be good for anything. If they don't want the cower aspect of it they should just remove it all together, doing this just makes it a weird "might proc or might do nothing" ability.

Control over randomness is the better deal IMO, thought blizzard was moving away from all that in wotlk.

Anybody else enjoying all the Christmas stuff, or is that old news to everybody? I think some quests are unavailable to me because I'm only lvl 67 :(

(I started playing wow in January)

witness

Macattk15 said:
So I just got "The Jawbone" from Maexenna last night. Put my Titansteel Destroyer in my offhand.

Should I enchant it with Massacre or Berserking? I hate procs, but I know the better enchant is Berserking :(.

That proc is probably worth it though, get it.

So I hit 70 on my Death Knight yesterday, and was planning to go home from college for my month long break, where my good computer is, and enjoy Northrend. But the storm is likely preventing me from going home today. So I have a choice...Level my tradeskills on my Death Knight, PvP at 70, and level my alt Paladin OR...Just go to Northrend on my laptop which much of the time literally runs at 2-4 frames per second...

Magnus

Like, 2-4 fps outside of raids or cities? :( I don't know if I could even skillup a tradeskill like that, lol.

Do whatever plays better imo.

Evlar

Banned
DeathNote said:
Dur. It runs 2-4 fps on his notebook there. What's not clear is if it's in cities only or not.
I don't get the latent aggression that pops up in this thread from time to time. He posted yesterday that his laptop tops out at 9 fps... This isn't minimum performance in worst-case scenarios, it's best-case performance.

Whether he gets 4 fps or 9 fps in Northrend I don't think he'll want to go there.

border

The Lamonster said:
Anybody else enjoying all the Christmas stuff, or is that old news to everybody? I think some quests are unavailable to me because I'm only lvl 67 :(
Christmas is ok, I guess. It's kind of hard to get excited about it when many of the quests are like 3 years old, and most of the other holidays have been upgraded to score you epic items or a cool mount or something like that. As far as I can tell, Christmas is still just a bunch of junk that's there only to kill time rather than get you anything cool.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Evlar said:
I don't get the latent aggression that pops up in this thread from time to time. He posted yesterday that his laptop tops out at 9 fps... This isn't minimum performance in worst-case scenarios, it's best-case performance.

Whether he gets 4 fps or 9 fps in Northrend I don't think he'll want to go there.

I love when people read things out of context and feel to need to subtly insult someone. The internet has no context a lot of times. You can't assume everything is aggressive.

But thanks. Just trying to catch you up to speed(That he knows his framerate is worse in Northrend. That people are wondering if it's that bad out of city.). Rather than the typical why can't you readdd!!!?? reply.

TomServo said:
Here's the reason - it's full of WoW players.
Or directly insult someone one in this case. You're a wow player too apparently buddy boy.

TomServo

DeathNote said:
Or directly insult someone one in this case. You're a wow player too apparently buddy boy.

Yup, and latent / passive aggressive attitudes abound in the game and in WoW-related forums.

If you're going to insult, do it directly.

EDIT: Also, I'm not your buddy. But if that was a reference to Real Genius, you're OK in my book.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I haven't played WotLK too much since it came out, but I am "working" from home today (we are supposed to have some kind of insane snow storm in Massachusetts) and find myself getting constantly disconnected. The WoW forums also keep timing out. Has this been common lately? What is the word regarding this sort of thing? I am currently lvl 72, and I don't remember getting d/ced any of the other days I played since the expansion came out.

BTW, I am playing on a 'low' population server (Dethecus).

EDIT: Nevermind; the forums are back up and it appears this is happening to quite a few people today: http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=13769577708&sid=1

I didn't mean to speak so much argument over my situation, but here's my laptop's deal...It frequently drops down to 2-4 dps, but sometimes gets as high as 24, but VERY rarely. Much of the time it's between 2-8, depending on where I am. When I'm inside buildings, and instances it runs better than cities, or just a random zone where it's always loading new landscape. Sorry for all the aggression that came out over this:lol

firex

Lord Phol said:
I don't see the problem with this, it was a great way to gain some minor cc both in PvE and PvP at the cost of 3-runes (which was the way D&D iself worked before). Great way to help the healer or tank when things get rough, I've used it on numerous occasions to help the group get some control over the situation.
Now it will just be too ureliable to be good for anything. If they don't want the cower aspect of it they should just remove it all together, doing this just makes it a weird "might proc or might do nothing" ability.

Control over randomness is the better deal IMO, thought blizzard was moving away from all that in wotlk.
But at 20%, it procs constantly on at least one mob if you are aoeing 3+. It's not like a 20% chance over the duration of the whole spell, at least going by how often I saw it working while tanking instances (pally tank). I think it was more like a 20% chance per tick. I mean, it just really trivialized stuff heavily. About the only thing that could be as bad is stacking 3 shamans for Hex spam, and I'm not kidding. This is how death and decay worked to begin with, though, which is why they took the cowering part out and made it into a glyph. I mean, I'd really hardly call it minor CC because the proc was absurdly high on it, even if it was random and uncontrollable.

Besides, it's just a glyph. Now it goes from being essential (and expensive) to something you can probably drop for a more focused glyph, or keep if it fits your playstyle.

Weenerz

Banned
Macattk15 said:

If you have the talent in fury tree Armed to the Teeth (or whatever gives you AP per armor you have) then the proc enchant isn't wrth it. Get +110 AP. The way the proc enchant works is, it gives you 400 AP at the cost of like 50% armor.

Xabora

Picked up Hatestrike tonight! :D

Also 10man DPS on Patchwerk. ( Heh I get better DPS in a 25man group :lol )
e0jwa8.jpg

Did Old Kingdom earlier tonight; another great instance that can be completed quickly. When I first entered I was like fuuuck, this place is huge. But from beginning to end it took us maybe 40 minutes. Wiped on the third boss but that was it

the last boss is AWESOME. Holy shit haven't had that much fun on a boss since VC, back in Deadmines :lol

xabre

Banned
What's everyone favourite zone? Visually? Content wise?

I'm just starting up again after a while off but some of this Northrend stuff is impressive. Only seen Howling Fjord, Dragonblight and Borean Tundra so far but these are awesome looking zones. The BC stuff like Blade's Edge and Terrokar were awesome as well. Makes the vanilla WoW zones look very bland by comparison.

firex

icecrown so far. Awesome zone, and easily the best I've played. although I have yet to do more than explore storm peaks for the achievement, so it may have an edge on it later. But icecrown is just cool.

Cimarron

Well it looks like I am going to be going back to the crack that is WOW! :) Does anyone have a reccomendation for the best PVE mage spec? Some sort of a template would be nice.

yacobod

Banned
ice crown is a pretty impressive zone visually

i also really like the howling fjord and its braveheart-esque music

my favorite instances in wotlk are

nexus, UK, UP, and COT-COS

i like UK and UP for the viking theme, pop in some amon amarth and zerg those instances, is always fun

culling of strat is awesome

i like them all for the most part

VaLiancY

The Basin by far for me, it's just all calm and mellow. And the music adds to the atmosphere, so when I'm farming I get the audio and artistic fidelity out of it the most.

Gamble

Ok so I need a new server to play on because mines quite frankly sux I accept the reality of that now, my guild is great just small so we can never do 10-25 man raids and we hardly ever quest together if at all, i have a 74 Hunter, 61 DK, 25, Shammy, and a 7 Druid I play on the farstriders Server think I'm looking to make a prime healer from scratch anyone have any suggestions?

J-Rzez

Kintaro said:
Seems Blizzard knew about the lack of tanking 2handers as well.

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/12/19/epic-2h-tanking-weapons-from-blacksmithing/

I'll be picking up the deflector for sure as I'm defense capped atm. I can use the parry boost that's for sure, then just concentrate on my Dodge.

If they are BoP BS weapons, good thing my DK is a BS. At this point, I think any tank/dps can't really go too wrong with it for just the added sockets alone.

I wonder when those new weapons will be hitting? I have a few titansteels and orbs in the bank waiting now :D

Cimarron said:
Well it looks like I am going to be going back to the crack that is WOW! :) Does anyone have a reccomendation for the best PVE mage spec? Some sort of a template would be nice.
Frostfire spec by far once you have decent gear.

Hit 80 on my Rogue and i've been doing a lot of PVP. I'm having so much more fun with PVP than i used to. The monotony of Warsong, AB, and Alterac was getting on my nerves. Strand and Wintergrasp are great and much more varied. Don't see myself getting bored as quickly.

xabre said:
What's everyone favourite zone? Visually? Content wise?

I'm just starting up again after a while off but some of this Northrend stuff is impressive. Only seen Howling Fjord, Dragonblight and Borean Tundra so far but these are awesome looking zones. The BC stuff like Blade's Edge and Terrokar were awesome as well. Makes the vanilla WoW zones look very bland by comparison.
Grizzly Hills, Howling Fjord and Sholazar are my favourites. Love the calming music and general look.

CassSept

Storm Peaks are the best imo. Pretty zone with awesome music, a lot of titan buildings and of course Thunderfall <3
But Icecrown is great too, it definitely is special and it actually does have a feeling its controlled by Lich King, with Scourge completely overwhelming anything there.
Overall Northrend >>>>> Outland. And what i like about Wrath is how you can see that Lich King's plan actually progresses, that he is ACTIVE, keeps on strengthening his forces and "recruiting" new races. In TBC Illidan was, well. He was mainly known from TFT, there wasnt almost any character development inside a game. He was mentioned, but he hardly did anything. In WotLK right off the bat Lich King is introduced as the main villain of the expansion (I know illidan wasnt in TBC, but still, as the lord of outland he had far too small role in the game). He isn't sleeping. His forces awaken Vrykul, cutscene in UP, Angrathar, amazing Drakuru betrayal chain. Additionally some character development for example in Matthias Lehner chain. You can feel actualy presence of the Lich King in the game.
And ICC is HUGE, unlike this stupid excuse of a fortress BT was :p

PS. Bugged Honor among Thieves ftw! On first day of testing it at Patchwerk 6.5k dps, yesterday on 10man Loatheb - 6k dps. Fun times.

Another failed Violet Hold run, this time due to our dps lagging. Plus someone left due to "mom arrgo". First time I've ever witnessed that. :lol

I did a lot better tanking it this time. Held arrgo and kept the healer safe. Plus I was feeling hella confident after a string of very successful runs. Old Kingdom/Azol/Drak feature many mobs that can't be polymorphed or cc'd, so you often wind up fighting 3-4 at a time. Great practice for holding arrgo, and the challenge is fun. Unlike say UK where you can just have a bunch of stuff sapped/poly'd

I try to push the tab button to get into the habit, but usually if the mobs are positioned around me I'll just click on them one by one and start Devastating/HS/Shield Slam/etc with Thunderclap and other aoe attacks thrown in; if enemies are stacked on each other (making it hard to click on them individually) I use the tab.

Hit 72 just now. Tanked on my Death Knight for the first time earlier when I was at 71. Did a run of The Nexus. My tanking gear was awful, but it held up fine, and I held agro really well. Definitely looking forward to doing it more and building my tanking gear.

witness

Well I got my titansteel destroyer made today. So I switched to ret, put on my set and ran a few heroics. My dps averaged 2k in 3 heroics. I was happy with it, the crits were just insane, but as someone who's usually a tank, I was just getting upset with like noticing mistakes these other tanks were making. I'm just use to being the leader, running in first, having everything hit me. I'll switch back to prot. sometime soon but I'm very happy that I have a pretty rad Ret set for whenever duel specs comes out.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I couldnt play all week, but I'm up to Level 16 now and just got my second minion now.

I also had to run the game at 720p now. My laptop is 1080p native and the game was running pretty sluggish even with no FSAA. 720p I can run everything max with 4xFSAA with no problem.

Lost a good deal of crispness though :(

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
PhoenixDark said:
Another failed Violet Hold run, this time due to our dps lagging. Plus someone left due to "mom arrgo". First time I've ever witnessed that. :lol

I did a lot better tanking it this time. Held arrgo and kept the healer safe. Plus I was feeling hella confident after a string of very successful runs. Old Kingdom/Azol/Drak feature many mobs that can't be polymorphed or cc'd, so you often wind up fighting 3-4 at a time. Great practice for holding arrgo, and the challenge is fun. Unlike say UK where you can just have a bunch of stuff sapped/poly'd

I try to push the tab button to get into the habit, but usually if the mobs are positioned around me I'll just click on them one by one and start Devastating/HS/Shield Slam/etc with Thunderclap and other aoe attacks thrown in; if enemies are stacked on each other (making it hard to click on them individually) I use the tab.

Well that's the 1st time i see someone type "aggro" that way. =|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom