• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I keep reading all these statements people make on the lines of "lol, any halfway decent DPS should be hitting 4k on 10mans" and here I am like a chump sitting at around 2800 in 10man Naxx in pretty good gear - but I am at the top. I pugged 2 25mans the other day (guild was all on vacation =/) and I was first in Obsidian, and second in Vault (behind the goddamn OP hunter) both times averaging around 3100 DPS. Does everyone in the world suck, or are people over exaggerating?

Dina

Kinitari said:
I keep reading all these statements people make on the lines of "lol, any halfway decent DPS should be hitting 4k on 10mans" and here I am like a chump sitting at around 2800 in 10man Naxx in pretty good gear - but I am at the top. I pugged 2 25mans the other day (guild was all on vacation =/) and I was first in Obsidian, and second in Vault (behind the goddamn OP hunter) both times averaging around 3100 DPS. Does everyone in the world suck, or are people over exaggerating?

I hear ya. Apart from legs (Loken drop) and wand (Anub'Rekan or Prince Keleseth, but isn't a lot better in any case), I have possibly the best pre-naxx items and a few naxx items. Standard FFB mage spec, over 1500 spelldmg and in a hc I am looking at around 1800dps. In raid this gets higher due to buffs, somewhere around 2200-2400, but not a lot more. Irritating part about this is there is not much to do differently. My rotation is solid and my gear isn't open for a lot of improvement either.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Vashj&n=Orbb

Alex

Xab, can you tell me how you would weigh the value of hit for your spec? I've really not been able to find the value of hit rating for DW DK's anywhere.

CassSept

dave is ok said:
I'm up to 16 titles now : )

And I'm pretty close to 'Justicar' and 'Salty' and 'Chef' (when they make it obtainable)

20 titles soon! Pls blv
Ah damn you, I have only 10 titles :p
I have to start doing loremaster (two titles, and tabard which would be my 25th tabard so two tabards at once)... but leveling my paladin to 80 first >.>

stealth-edit
Xab, can you tell me how you would weigh the value of hit for your spec? I've really not been able to find the value of hit rating for DW DK's anywhere.
You don't want to care about DW hit cap, whatever class you play. It is impossible to reach right now I think, maybe unless you gear up everything for hit with all slots +16 hit rating. Hit cap is 886 hit rating right now, so you know... no matter what you do, how you gear up or whatever talents you have, you won't reach it (and there is pretty much no reason you'd really want to). Just care about yellow hit cap (262-reduction from talents - maybe draenei aura if you're ally. Basically, it's 8%, 1% = 32.8 hit rating, you can count it for yourself) and everything will be ok:p

CassSept said:
You don't want to care about DW hit cap, whatever class you play. It is impossible to reach right now I think, maybe unless you gear up everything for hit with all slots +16 hit rating. Hit cap is 886 hit rating right now, so you know... no matter what you do, how you gear up or whatever talents you have, you won't reach it (and there is pretty much no reason you'd really want to). Just care about yellow hit cap (262-reduction from talents - maybe draenei aura if you're ally. Basically, it's 8%, 1% = 32.8 hit rating, you can count it for yourself) and everything will be ok:p

Would you say that even for Rogues? Is hit all of a sudden not as desirable just because I can't be capped now? Should I take off all my hit gems and replace them with haste or something? I'm at around 350 hit rating now.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I've never cared about DPS much. I pretty much do 5 man stuff, occasional 10 man. I skip most 25+ because it is just too much drama for me lol.

Anyway...EVERYONE is so obsessed with DPS lately that I am really curious where I stack up. I am usually number one in most groups I go on, never less than third.

What is the easiest way to determine average DPS? some addon? I hear people talk about target dummies too.

Draft

Mr Pockets said:
I've never cared about DPS much. I pretty much do 5 man stuff, occasional 10 man. I skip most 25+ because it is just too much drama for me lol.

Anyway...EVERYONE is so obsessed with DPS lately that I am really curious where I stack up. I am usually number one in most groups I go on, never less than third.

What is the easiest way to determine average DPS? some addon? I hear people talk about target dummies too.
Never less than third, eh? Out DPSing the tank and the healer :lol

The best DPS add on, IMO, is recount.

Macattk15

Draft said:

Recount can be quite inaccurate though. The WWS parses that you can set up are easily the most accurate but you will most likely be in a guild running raids if you're doing that.

So I guess Recount is good, but I really only trust it for telling me what my own DPS is.

Draft

Macattk15 said:
Recount can be quite inaccurate though. The WWS parses that you can set up are easily the most accurate but you will most likely be in a guild running raids if you're doing that.

So I guess Recount is good, but I really only trust it for telling me what my own DPS is.
Yeah, definitely agree. WWS is the best, but WWS is really designed for post raid analysis on a guild level, rather than just monitoring whether or not you're breaking 2k.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Macattk15 said:

During boss fights several of us use recount and all post our results after the fight. Every time ours are right with each others.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
CassSept said:
Ah damn you, I have only 10 titles :p
I have to start doing loremaster (two titles, and tabard which would be my 25th tabard so two tabards at once)... but leveling my paladin to 80 first >.>
The Loremaster tabard is my favorite by far, I really wish it would put an exclamation point over your head as a USE effect or something. I would never leave the noob zones if it did that.

Macattk15

vumpler said:
During boss fights several of us use recount and all post our results after the fight. Every time ours are right with each others.

Ok and I've had experiences where mages and ranged have been completely missed by mine but on theirs they are up near the top because they were missing a good chunk of the melee.

It works for the most part, but it's not perfect.

CassSept

Oni Link 666 said:
Would you say that even for Rogues? Is hit all of a sudden not as desirable just because I can't be capped now? Should I take off all my hit gems and replace them with haste or something? I'm at around 350 hit rating now.
AFAIK the main reason why hit rating was THE shit for rogues in TBC was windfury. You know, windfury + a lot of hit - pwn. And windfury + sword spec + a lot of hit - uber pwn (chaining wf and sword spec procs for massive damage!). And most of damage by far came from white hits. This has changed a lot in WotLK, mainly due to wf and poison changes. You NEED to reach yellow hit cap (99 HR), poison hit cap is desirable (237 if you have boomkin or sp), white hit cap (722) is useless. If you reach poison hit cap, just gem for AP or agi, maybe for expertise. It isn't AS useless as armor pen, but gemming for hit after you reach poison hit cap is a waste of sockets.

All numbers apply of course only if you have 5/5 Precision (which, if you play PvE, you surely have).

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
LAUGHTREY said:
Got an equivalent of the shoulders from Gun today, daresay better since i put a 8 parry 8 defense gem in it. Ran VH but didn't drop the pants. Will keep trying that.
I really should be running Gundrak for the those pauldrons and ring. Gundrak isn't that hard, but we wiped inexplicably like 5 times on King Dred a couple days ago. No clue why, since we one shot him the last time.

I'll just enter raids without the OK bracers. Unless you get the time just right, trying to kill an Insanity Resto-Druid is like fighting one on 10x tenacity in Wintergrasp.

Macattk15

Angry Grimace said:
I really should be running Gundrak for the those pauldrons and ring. Gundrak isn't that hard, but we wiped inexplicably like 5 times on King Dred a couple days ago. No clue why, since we one shot him the last time.

I'll just enter raids without the OK bracers. Unless you get the time just right, trying to kill an Insanity Resto-Druid is like fighting one on 10x tenacity in Wintergrasp.

King Dred = Drak'tharon Keep not Gundrak.

Xabora

Alex said:
Aim for about 10.50% - 11% Hit, if your gear send you over that its not a bad thing.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
sw7kfm.jpg

Not bad just over 17 hours to hit 60 with RAF, could easily get that down to like 12-13 but wasted time dying, getting places, class quests and getting my Druid to 60 first so I could grant the level. Think I'll level a Paladin to 32 and then grant it the levels to 60.

Macattk15

Ikuu said:
Not bad just over 17 hours to hit 60 with RAF, could easily get that down to like 12-13 but wasted time dying, getting places, class quests and getting my Druid to 60 first so I could grant the level. Think I'll level a Paladin to 32 and then grant it the levels to 60.

You learned to Shoot at 60?

Awesome.

Alex

Xabora said:
Aim for about 10.50% - 11% Hit, if your gear send you over that its not a bad thing.

We went ahead with the 9% suggested for specials, and took the two points out of the disease duration talent and put it into virulence.

Gemmed pure STR.

Seems to have done well. Prob will be nicer even moreso with the new ghoul glyph in 3.0.8

Chris R

Ikuu said:
A big fuck you (well more like the RAF program) from all of my alts :< Best I can do in 17 hours is usually around level 20. Wish they would just increase the leveling speed for 1-58 by quite a bit, then they could still leave the rewards for RAF in. Or maybe make the account have 2 80s or something before the speed increase sets in.

I want to get all my chars to 80, but figured that using heirloom gear would make leveling a bit faster (esp that exp+ gear)

Xabora

Alex said:
We went ahead with the 9% suggested for specials, and took the two points out of the disease duration talent and put it into virulence.

Gemmed pure STR.

Seems to have done well. Prob will be nicer even moreso with the new ghoul glyph in 3.0.8
Well while that works, you need to remember that 25% - 30% of your damage is melee. And your procs (FC & CG) are based off of weapon hit.

firex

rhfb said:
A big fuck you (well more like the RAF program) from all of my alts :< Best I can do in 17 hours is usually around level 20. Wish they would just increase the leveling speed for 1-58 by quite a bit, then they could still leave the rewards for RAF in. Or maybe make the account have 2 80s or something before the speed increase sets in.

I want to get all my chars to 80, but figured that using heirloom gear would make leveling a bit faster (esp that exp+ gear)
I'm going to do something sort of like this since I have nothing worth buying with emblems anymore and will cap out on the pvp JC forms pretty soon too, so stone keeper shards are another possibility. The only real problem for me is the alts I want to level are an orc shaman (already level 70, so heirlooms aren't even a big deal, though I would take the dps mail shoulders anyway), orc hunter, undead DK, and then maybe a warrior later on or something.

although I suppose if I just got the dps mail shoulder heirlooms, the bow, and one of the melee weapons, I could even level up that rogue I abandoned (not that I'd really want to).

I really wish they had more heirlooms, because a lot of them don't even suit what I'd want. like there's no good enhance shaman melee weapons (which could just be a slow mace if they want it to suit rogues too, or a pair of fist weapons or whatever) and no good feral druid weapons, yet there's holy pally shoulders.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My GF just sent me an IM to inform me she managed to be the only Druid in her Archavon raid, and automatically got Valorous Dreamwalker Handguards (Feral)....for her Resto Druid.

*snicker*

Our Feral Druid in guild will be so pleased, I'm sure.

Alex

Xabora said:
Well while that works, you need to remember that 25% - 30% of your damage is melee. And your procs (FC & CG) are based off of weapon hit.

Panned out to be about 22-25% on the dummy, which to me, makes it obviously important but not something to be actively gemming for, IMO. The cap is just too high.

That's especially true considering this spec drinks Strength hard from obscene pet scaling and other various talents. The ghoul alone gets 100% of your strength between the talent and glyph next patch.

I think it's more of a flavor gig though (a notion seeming exclusive to DKs: Choice!), considering the near split of proc and swing based goodies and total strength whoreage.. Our DK's DPS did go up from regemming to pure Strength with a 15% unbuffed hit pool, but we use a different rotation cycle from you.

Strength will make it easier to cross specs as well if the, very obviously untuned DK dual wielding fad takes a nerf bat to the face.

Right now what we're trying to raise next is Expertise. REALLY bad luck on some drops.

Chris R

firex said:
I'm going to do something sort of like this since I have nothing worth buying with emblems anymore and will cap out on the pvp JC forms pretty soon too, so stone keeper shards are another possibility. The only real problem for me is the alts I want to level are an orc shaman (already level 70, so heirlooms aren't even a big deal, though I would take the dps mail shoulders anyway), orc hunter, undead DK, and then maybe a warrior later on or something.

although I suppose if I just got the dps mail shoulder heirlooms, the bow, and one of the melee weapons, I could even level up that rogue I abandoned (not that I'd really want to).

I really wish they had more heirlooms, because a lot of them don't even suit what I'd want. like there's no good enhance shaman melee weapons (which could just be a slow mace if they want it to suit rogues too, or a pair of fist weapons or whatever) and no good feral druid weapons, yet there's holy pally shoulders.
Yea I wish there were more heirlooms too, and maybe a bit cheaper (though since my main is only 79 I only have 3 stone keeper shards atm, don't have any clue how fast they come in once I hit 80).

The alts I want to level first are my orc shaman as well :p and a tauren warrior, followed by a BE pally and orc hunter... All basically sitting in the late 20s to early 40s :(

lexi

Banned
xabre said:
What's better for a feral cat druid

150 -> 190 hit or 38 -> 39% crit?

Hit is your best dps stat until hit capped obviously, unless you break 10k attack power while being in possession of the jade monkey.... I don't know, it gets a bit ridiculous, but generally +hit ALWAYS over +crit if you're not hit capped. You need 296 hit rating to be hit capped against raid bosses.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Draft said:

Actually...the "3rd" stuff is in 10 man groups. Has happened to me a few times. Usually behind a hunter, or a mage.

In 5 Mans I am either always number one, or 2nd when I am focusing more on control and less on beating out other for DPS. Been in plenty of groups where someone is more concerned about max damage all the time, regardless of any issues that may cause.

So really, I guess you are right even through your halfhanded mockery, I DO out DPS the tanks and healers

Oh...and on a side note.

I just hit 10k gold for the first time. I have been close before but always spend it. I started with 824g around mid December when I hit 80 (weekend of the 15th I think). Started grinding the Runesmiths I mentioned ina previous post. I think I have made about 12-15k in that time, spent lots of it on stupid crap cause I felt rich lol. Now I am just hardcore grinding money...goal is 18k so that when my wife hits 77 on her DK I can buy all her flying stuff (7200g total) and still be over 10k ;P

J-Rzez

Damn, I can't believe that patch didn't hit today. I want my new tanking weapons, I want my DK tanking to get buffed, I want the new Wintergrasp PVP items, and I want my Tempered Titansteel Helm correction already.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
So i just left my "new" guild. After having stopped playing wow for so long (about when BC hit).I decided to come back and play my resto druid, most of the people from my old guild arent playing anymore, so i just joined some other guild. But man, whats up with the people now.

I used to be in a decent guild pre BC, played a priest from MC to Naxx. Had a lot of fun. But some people really dont have a clue now it seems. Been raiding with this guild for a few weeks, and..... its already bad when you cant fill up the raid with guildies, and have to take random pugs. But we manage.

Take Heigan, we started to die at the start, so i battle rez someone, that just dies again next phase, so me and the tank just duo him, for like 20mins, till we killed him. It was pretty sad, and this week, same thing, except there was actually two other DPS that didnt die. Not counting the other wipes because people dont move/forget to move/etc.

Am i asking too much of people ? People got pretty mad at me, because after every wipe, i was asking what was wrong, and what people should do, or not. So yeah, i dont mind wiping, i wiped probably way more than them on harder content for weeks/months, and spent tons of money on consummables back then, but its not like naxx is hard now, and people die to stuff that is easily avoidable.

I felt like i was wasting my time, and left. Now im not sure if i want to find a new guild or not, meh.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Well, good news!

I'm level 20. I have finished every single quest in the blood elves before I take my oath to the scourge and am released to the real world.

However, I have one quest left to do that required 5 people, and no one will team up with me. The quest suggests 5 people. I figure I can do it with one other level 20 or so though because I have a minion that works as a tank.

:(

Until I get a friend I'm stuck. There was a level 80 that wouldn't team up with me but just went in and killed the guy on his own. Asshole.

Kandrick said:
So i just left my "new" guild. After having stopped playing wow for so long (about when BC hit).I decided to come back and play my resto druid, most of the people from my old guild arent playing anymore, so i just joined some other guild. But man, whats up with the people now.

I used to be in a decent guild pre BC, played a priest from MC to Naxx. Had a lot of fun. But some people really dont have a clue now it seems. Been raiding with this guild for a few weeks, and..... its already bad when you cant fill up the raid with guildies, and have to take random pugs. But we manage.

Take Heigan, we started to die at the start, so i battle rez someone, that just dies again next phase, so me and the tank just duo him, for like 20mins, till we killed him. It was pretty sad, and this week, same thing, except there was actually two other DPS that didnt die. Not counting the other wipes because people dont move/forget to move/etc.

Am i asking too much of people ? People got pretty mad at me, because after every wipe, i was asking what was wrong, and what people should do, or not. So yeah, i dont mind wiping, i wiped probably way more than them on harder content for weeks/months, and spent tons of money on consummables back then, but its not like naxx is hard now, and people die to stuff that is easily avoidable.

I felt like i was wasting my time, and left. Now im not sure if i want to find a new guild or not, meh.

That's why they suck; they work hard at sucking and not learning.

lexi

Banned
Kandrick said:

Find a good guild, you will be well appreciated and well respected someplace different where 25 man Naxx's are a stroll.

Acidote

I'm finally a Merrymaker :lol

Merrymaker_Duste.jpg

Last night we 25 manned 3 horde bosses too. I had never done it with this character yet. Thrall was impossible with a 3 (almost 4) to 1 population on our server, with a full raid he would be down.

Angry Grimace

Hilariously downed Sartharion with 6 DPS, and four morons in quest greens.

I'd /facepalm, but the boss was dead.

Well, I respecced Mutilate......

So far I love it

But I'm using Knife of Incision as my MH and I hear its too slow to be optimal
I have the Omen of Ruin in my OH and that really should be in my MH
Gonna try to pick up another dagger ASAP

The 2 that I'm using I got in the same 10-man Naxx so I can't really complain

Also
What should my rotation be? Its been so long since I've used daggers

And holy shit trash dies way faster than when I was combat specced

I also need to lower my hit rating a bit and increase my expertise but that will come in time

CassSept

Xabora said:
Rogues were gemming for pure hit in TBC because with sword spec and old windfury white hites were over 60% of our damage. Now it has changed, with a huge rise of poisons contributing to overall damage (crit and spell crit merged, much better scaling with ap), wf change, mutilate finally being useful, it made white hits contribution to overall damage much much lower. It's still more than for DK, but we don't gem for hit, especially after poison hit cap is reached. So if melee is only 25-30% of your overal damage once you reach yellow cap special i guess it's useless to gem for HR

And about yellow hit cap, it seems that hit caps were actually lowered in WotLK
http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t38095-retesting_hit_table_assumptions/
And while spell hit cap is the same, it seems yellow hit cap was lowered from 9% to about 8% (a little bit over it, iirc about 8.1-8.2%) and white hit cap from 28% to 27%.
Just saying cause it was discovered recently and might be useful to GAF melees that didn't know about it :)

Stealth-edit
Well, I respecced Mutilate......

So far I love it

But I'm using Knife of Incision as my MH and I hear its too slow to be optimal
I have the Omen of Ruin in my OH and that really should be in my MH
Gonna try to pick up another dagger ASAP

The 2 that I'm using I got in the same 10-man Naxx so I can't really complain

Also
What should my rotation be? Its been so long since I've used daggers

And holy shit trash dies way faster than when I was combat specced

I also need to lower my hit rating a bit and increase my expertise but that will come in time

Don't listen to fast MH/slow OH. Originally it was thought to be better, but it was discovered that somehow your OH has double chance to proc the poison. Thus, slow MH/fast OH, with DP on MH and IP on OH gives you much more IP procs than if you switched the weapons. So stick with KoI/OoR, not the other way around.
Oh and I'd recommend you getting Librarian's Paper Cutter from AH. It's awesome dagger (1.3 speed!) from HoL that is BoE. On my server it's usually aruond ~75G so unless you are really in huge need of money, go with it. If you get it, OoR/LPC

Rotation now.
Well, this time you actually have to think! Rotation is basically 4+E/4+R
To quote this EJ topic
1. Mutilate to 4+ Combo Points
2. Make sure Hunger for Blood isn't going to drop soon. Refresh it if it will.
3. Is Rupture up? If yes, Envenom. Go to step 1.
4. Does Slice and Dice have >12 seconds left? If no, Envenom. Go to Step 1.
5. Rupture. Go to Step 1.

And hit rating, once you reach poison hit cap (237 assuming you have 5/5 precision and Imp FF/Misery) hit rating is obsolete.

Have fun with Mutilate :) Im currently kind of stuck with bugged HaT build which is oh-so-boring. Give me back my 51/13/7!

taranatar

Kyoufu said:
I'm going to start playing again I think, but this time on Euro servers. Any Europeans want to do RAF with me?

Heya i play on DarkSpear on Europe and im up for this if u wanna go ahead. im bored of my hunter and healer wana start something new :)

xabre said:
Jade what? Man there's so much of this game I don't know about and I've been playing it on and off for three and a half years :lol

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/520550.html?nav=5006

''Monkey'' was on the list because of what some see as its rampant use as a suffix. ''Especially on the Internet, many people seem to think they can make any boring name sound more attractive just by adding the word 'monkey' to it,'' wrote Rogier Landman of Sommerville, Mass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom