• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have both a 70 druid and priest. I'd like to level one to arena with my friends, most of the time I'll be doing arena with a rogue. I'm thinking that the priest would be a better choice to level but I'm not completely sure. Any thoughts on this subject would be a great help and appreciated.

Milpool

Epix said:
Looks like it attempts to target anything by the name of time/vyra/dirkee. If it finds one it displays a raid warning message and plays a warning sound.

And yes fight it......it's an honor to die to one of these mobs.

Pretty much, the bit in the middle prevents the raid notice if the mob is already dead, but still targets them, and /cleartarget at the beginning otherwise the raid warning would appear no matter what your target was.
I've heard of a 77 killing the time-lost proto drake, not sure of a minimum level to attempt it though.

Epix said:
Looks like it attempts to target anything by the name of time/vyra/dirkee. If it finds one it displays a raid warning message and plays a warning sound.

And yes fight it......it's an honor to die to one of these mobs.
Do they only appear in certain places? I assume they're all in Northrend, but as a lvl 73 at the moment, should I bother spamming this button while questing in places like Dragonblight, BT, HF, Grizzly Hills etc.? Or do they just show up in SP and IC?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
TomServo said:
I could point you to my 19 deaths to Patchwerk in 25 man. I know it's not exactly top tier, but I don't think my 4200dps had anything to do with those.

I'll be honest with you, it does make me mad.

When you wipe on a boss and someone says "sorry guys, I was on the phone" that pisses me off. When you're ready to engage after 15 minutes of wipe recovery and as soon as the ready check is sent someone types "brb" that pisses me off. If it happens once per person I can live with it, but it's typically the same people who do it over and over

In some cases you've got a small number of idiots wasting the time of 20+ non-idiots. Believe me, I understand when real life calls - I'm married to a woman who hates WoW. I simply don't log on when there's a possiblity that she's going to want to do something in the next two or three hours. I don't want to waste anyone's time. I wish others would extend the same courtesy.
I just wish it would illustrate that the time we did down Heigan, it was me, 2 healers, and a moonkin and it took 17 minutes.

Macattk15

I killed Vyragosa just yesterday. Spotted it flying in the air from a good distance away shooting frost crap at someone on the ground, but she was untagged.

Was some Human DK on the ground just looking up at it helplessly. So I flew up and Fire Blasted it and fell to the ground but Blink'ed before I hit.

1 Frostfire Bolt later, it was dead and I was laughing at the DK.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Lamonster said:
Do they only appear in certain places? I assume they're all in Northrend, but as a lvl 73 at the moment, should I bother spamming this button while questing in places like Dragonblight, BT, HF, Grizzly Hills etc.? Or do they just show up in SP and IC?
Just Storm Peaks, and mostly around certain parts of Storm Peaks.

Epix

The Lamonster said:
Honestly, I have no idea where any of them are. I've never seen one myself.

Angry Grimace

Milpool said:
Pretty much, the bit in the middle prevents the raid notice if the mob is already dead, but still targets them, and /cleartarget at the beginning otherwise the raid warning would appear no matter what your target was.
I've heard of a 77 killing the time-lost proto drake, not sure of a minimum level to attempt it though.
It really depends on spec/class.

I could kill 2 level 80 mobs at 70 as prot, but that's a function of never dying. I'm sure a 77 prot warrior could kill TL, but who knows about a squishier class.

J-Rzez

Flesh Into Gear said:
ugghhhh maintenance extension for 2 more hours :(

This didn't really come as a surprise to you did it? Outside of last week, they have been missing the time-mark for servers to be up for months.

I've killed Vandrygosa twice now. Never seen the drake. Not even dead. I'm not camping the place though. I just fly by there on my way to and from Hyldir and Sons of Hodir dailies. I've also killed a few other rares in Northrend including Loque'Nahak on my Rogue after having tamed him with my hunter. I'm not after the achievement or anything. It's just dumb luck.

Won

Oni Link 666 said:
I've killed Vandrygosa twice now. Never seen the drake. Not even dead. I'm not camping the place though. I just fly by there on my way to and from Hyldir and Sons of Hodir dailies. I've also killed a few other rares in Northrend including Loque'Nahak on my Rogue after having tamed him with my hunter. I'm not after the achievement or anything. It's just dumb luck.

I hate you all. Already exalted with the Hodir, even got the damn polar bear mount from the Brunnies, but no dragon. :/

Cipherr

Angry Grimace said:
I just wish it would illustrate that the time we did down Heigan, it was me, 2 healers, and a moonkin and it took 17 minutes.

This, I was pretty upset with some of the people in my guild for not learning it, then we had a run 3 weeks ago and we got the 25man safety dance achievement, so I think I jumped the gun a bit on labeling the people who struggled with it. But Heigan makes up for that by being able to be pretty much 5 manned. If you have 2 healers, a tank and a 2 dps that know the encounter like the back of their hands and never so much as get hit by a splash EVER let alone killed then you can essentially carry the other 20 people to free loot and badges.

Thats how we killed heigan 25 in our first few runs, Im not ashamed to admit (probably because I was one of the five, but whatever). Heigan on the other hand we just had to bang away at until people stopped missing the god damned jump. They slapped all of us hunters in 4 different groups (we are a hunter heavy guild) and stuck people who had trouble with the jump in our groups for aspect of the pack, and thats how we got Thadd25 down our first time. We have all learned it now though.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
So I got a macro for my shammy to drop totems. Basically I just hit my macro key 4 times and it drops them all.

Is there not a way to automate this instead of me hitting it all 4 times.

Angry Grimace

Puncture said:
This, I was pretty upset with some of the people in my guild for not learning it, then we had a run 3 weeks ago and we got the 25man safety dance achievement, so I think I jumped the gun a bit on labeling the people who struggled with it. But Heigan makes up for that by being able to be pretty much 5 manned. If you have 2 healers, a tank and a 2 dps that know the encounter like the back of their hands and never so much as get hit by a splash EVER let alone killed then you can essentially carry the other 20 people to free loot and badges.

Thats how we killed heigan 25 in our first few runs, Im not ashamed to admit (probably because I was one of the five, but whatever). Heigan (ed: Thaddius) on the other hand we just had to bang away at until people stopped missing the god damned jump. They slapped all of us hunters in 4 different groups (we are a hunter heavy guild) and stuck people who had trouble with the jump in our groups for aspect of the pack, and thats how we got Thadd25 down our first time. We have all learned it now though.
(For clarification to anyone unfamiliar with Naxx, he's referring to Thaddius, where you have to jump to his platform after downing his Wight adds)

My problem is that I feel like I'm in a zone where I'm half-casual half serious about it. I enjoy playing with laid back players who play for something beyond the next loot item. At the same time, I expect a level of competence from other players.

It just bothers me how much DPS exaggeration in regards to what's good and how important it is has been the defining characteristic for raids/heroics. If I said, "I scored a 1515 DPS in Recount in 10-Naxx" (which is what I pulled last time, not counting Heigan) as a protection warrior I'd get a bunch of insulting replies things telling me I'm terrible and should quit WoW, despite the fact that I'm pretty damn good at tanking and from experience, I know that 1500 DPS is good enough to kill the goddamn bosses. Not every boss is Patchwerk, where you can spam Heroic Strike every fucking second. /rant

Flambe

vumpler said:
So I got a macro for my shammy to drop totems. Basically I just hit my macro key 4 times and it drops them all.

Is there not a way to automate this instead of me hitting it all 4 times.

Pretty sure you have to hit it 4 times to go through sequence hehe. Or get a programmable macro keyboard whee

vumpler

Flambe said:
Pretty sure you have to hit it 4 times to go through sequence hehe. Or get a programmable macro keyboard whee
Yeah I've got one maybe I should set it up.

Flambe

Blizzard spell has a cute little almost death knight animation on ground now, I guess for tank position help? o_O Looks nifty either way

explodet

I just did 4 Wintergrasps in a row, 2 defense 2 offense. After every victory from either side, the world server goes down for a couple minutes then it starts all over again. Got me 8 marks in about an hour.

I'm stuck on a loading screen right now, so they may be trying to fix things.

Kletian

OK Gaf, help me regear/gem

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gilneas&n=Zalbaag

Now that the Runeforging/sigil is out I have 37 defense skill to reallocate for better things (will be at 577 Def when I reforge and my sigil procs)

I already plan on getting the Titansteel Helm and the Crafted +dodge cloak once my guildies log on who can make the damn things. The Helm will be getting the +sta/armor Meta, but after that, I needs some help. Try to keep it to things I can get without hopping into a raid, since I can't raid until next week.

I need to replace my bracers at somepoint but my server hates Old Kingdom.

Ripclawe

Banned
Reputation rewarded for killing mobs will no longer automatically deprecate. This means trivial mobs will continue to give out their full amounts of reputation on kill for the majority of cases in the game (level 70 creatures in Stratholme, for example, will continue to award the full amount of rep to level 80 players seeking to boost their Argent Dawn faction).

woooo hoo, time to backtrack some reps

PhoenixDark said:
Soo, is the game crashing continuously for anyone else?
Northrend has been dcing on my realm every 5 minutes since the realms came up.

"Battle For Wintergrasp Update
We’re actively investigating Wintergrasp impacting realm stability and we’re working to resolve these issues. If needed, we may temporarily disable the Battle for Wintergrasp on all realms. If this should happen, players will still be able to venture into the zone, but will not be able to participate in the Battle itself. (Source)"

Went to boot up WoW today, and when I get through the loading screen my screen goes black and an ungodly stuttering sound begins. Can't get out of it. Have to pull the battery from my laptop. My WoW has been running like shit on it, like literally 1 fps at times. Think something in my laptop went bad? If so, what?

Flambe

BloodElfHunter said:
Its crashing a lot more than that on my realm.. every <5 minutes.

Well that blows =(

I think they 'fixed' wintergrasp on Silvermoon. After last game, when server came up the game was set at 0:00 and wouldn't restart. Also doesn't let people do VoA, whee.

I thought they were fixing the lag. It was at least bearable yesterday. My game is stopping for a whole second now.

Good thing about this day though was that I've been selling 24 stam gems for 115g all day. :lol I had like 15 in the bank. I'm the only game in town.

Eric WK

LukeSmith said:
That's the janky, in AQ-only version of the mount.
Only legit Scarab Lords can ride a bug in the real world. They weren't necessarily one per server - when I opened the gates on my server, I waited for 2 alliance players to finish the scarab line so that they could get their mounts, too.

Are you playing these days?

firex

not sure if they fixed wintergrasp yet, but on my server it's disabled but still under horde control. fucking awesome for me since it means easy shard farming, and almost feels like karma since the alliance uses their population imbalance to control WG whenever they can.

Onemic

Do any warlocks know if demonic embrace is bugged or not? I've put 5 points in it and it hasn't increased my stamina whatsoever.

Lain

Are the minor glyphs for Blessing of Might and Blessing of Wisdom nerfed(fixed)? They do not seem to work on my Greater BoM/BoW anymore, while they did before the patch (as long as I targeted myself first).

Kyoufu

onemic said:
Do any warlocks know if demonic embrace is bugged or not? I've put 5 points in it and it hasn't increased my stamina whatsoever.

Wouldn't be surprised. Blue post confirmed Warlock is a buggy mess now and will be hotfixed soon.

FF_VIII

Banned
Can anyone help me with something?

I just got wow back and after installing it it told me I had a BC account so I had to install not. No problem. I did that, but now when I try and load it up I'm getting ERROR #121 blah blah

DBFiles/Client\Startup-strings.dbc has wrong number of columns (found 19, expected 11)

What the does that eve mean?

vumpler

FF_VIII said:
Can anyone help me with something?

I just got wow back and after installing it it told me I had a BC account so I had to install not. No problem. I did that, but now when I try and load it up I'm getting ERROR #121 blah blah

DBFiles/Client\Startup-strings.dbc has wrong number of columns (found 19, expected 11)

What the does that eve mean?
Would probably be quicker to just run the repair than find an answer. Seems random.

Epix

Is spellpower the most important stat for elemental shaman? If so, what base stat feeds spellower, is it INT? What's the conversion rate for INT -> SP?

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
Is spellpower the most important stat for elemental shaman? If so, what base stat feeds spellower, is it INT? What's the conversion rate for INT -> SP?
Spellpower is generally a stat into itself, although various talents will convert various stats into SP, i.e. Tree of Life will convert Spirit into some extra spell power. Prot. Paladins with Touched by the Light also gain SP through stamina. There may be some kind of talent that does this with Shaman and some other stat, but I'm not familiar with them yet.

Last I heard, intellect nor spirit gave an untalented generalized player more spell power; INT provides a larger mana pool and greater spell critical strike chance.

It's possible they changed that, but not to my knowledge.

firex

Lain said:
Are the minor glyphs for Blessing of Might and Blessing of Wisdom nerfed(fixed)? They do not seem to work on my Greater BoM/BoW anymore, while they did before the patch (as long as I targeted myself first).
I never got them to work on myself after 3.0.3, but they did with the Greaters in 3.0.2.

I would really rather they honestly just make a "glyph of greater blessings" that takes up a minor slot and removes the need for reagents on those, like they did for nearly all the other reagent-requiring buffs, but oh well.

edit:
Epix said:
part of the reason I just tweaked my enhance build a bit with the free shaman respec yesterday, instead of going elemental (gear for both is about equal I guess, maybe a little better enhance since I have a couple more epics for it) is they don't scale well. Int for elemental shamans gives you more mp5. That's it. There is no Int->spell power for any class unless it's a talent (which is: balance druids, mages I think, holy paladins, resto druids, technically enhance shamans with 2 different deep enhance talents) while spirit converts to spell power via Fel Armor for warlocks, and with talents, for mages and priests.

I don't really know how you optimally gear up as elemental because they just scale so poorly. My guess would be hit until spell hit cap is reached, crit and spell power and haste otherwise (haste is good for all casters). Despite the talent buffs/mini-overhaul elemental got yesterday, they still need work (and honestly, unrelenting storm needs to convert int to spell power, too) because they scale the worst of all casters imo.

Swag

So if I read correctly with the recent patch, racial restrictions are removed from mounts? Does this mean I can go to Org and get a Wolf without being exalted? Please say yes :<

Kyoufu

Sebulon3k said:
So if I read correctly with the recent patch, racial restrictions are removed from mounts? Does this mean I can go to Org and get a Wolf without being exalted? Please say yes :<

I think its just racial restrictions, not reputation that was lifted. So you'd still need exalted or whatever...

Interfectum

Sebulon3k said:

"Racial" restrictions, not reputation restrictions. (IE: Night Elves can now use the Gnomes mount)

firex

yeah, it's just racial restrictions. What this basically means is tauren can buy raptors/undead horses/hawkstriders, and non gnomes/dwarves can buy mechano-striders.

that reminds me, they really really need to add more "cross faction" mounts like the white hawkstrider and brewfest mounts. I'd love to have a heroic boss that can drop a mechano strider or ram mount, or even an alliance horse (bland as they are) and the same for horde mounts for alliance players. though I still like riding around on my swift pink hawkstrider on my orc shaman. I think it'd at least help keep some mount variety instead of 50 different proto drakes, 3 different regular drakes, and ugly armored brown bear/black war bear mounts.

MDF's out of left field change makes it unwieldy in most fights instead of a few. I end up taking it out unless I'm stand-and-delivering heals. It even falls off on trash since a PoM wont keep it going. PoH and CoH give 5/6 charges, but leading with that is unwieldy (again).

First raid with kinda-nerfed-but-not-really CoH was odd. For some strange reason, the LESS I thought about it, the MORE I did, approaching old numbers. CoH > FH > FH > FH > CoH or CoH > GH > GH > CoH etc: just whackamole on Grid. The saving of Surged FH, CoH like I do PoM for movement healing is wierd, but easily adjustable. Also, when I backed off to think-healing, the other 2 Hpriests' HPS shot up, making me believe we're just sniping each other's heals, and that a Resto Shammy/Truid/Hpriest (with 2 of one of these) and a Hpally with Glyph of Holy Light on tank 24/7 and Baconwrap of Hope on him for melee (with one/the Hpriest to assist on melee damage) is less snipe-happy. Will check again on Maly25.

Yet, if I started doing judgement heals, my effective healing dropped considerably, and overheal tanked shockingly fast. I'm not sure that the side effect of this is a good one from a theorycrafting perspective, as I went from judging in a split second (Twin Eredar == Fun) if 2+pet taking raid damage being a useful target for a Party-based CoH in BC, to just hitting "areas" when damage goes out to just whackamoling on a rote rotation like a freaking DPS.

Mana is also a relative nonissue with all the Serendipity/IHC/etc monkeybusiness, so a spamming I go...

firex said:
yeah, it's just racial restrictions. What this basically means is tauren can buy raptors/undead horses/hawkstriders, and non gnomes/dwarves can buy mechano-striders.

that reminds me, they really really need to add more "cross faction" mounts like the white hawkstrider and brewfest mounts. I'd love to have a heroic boss that can drop a mechano strider or ram mount, or even an alliance horse (bland as they are) and the same for horde mounts for alliance players. though I still like riding around on my swift pink hawkstrider on my orc shaman. I think it'd at least help keep some mount variety instead of 50 different proto drakes, 3 different regular drakes, and ugly armored brown bear/black war bear mounts.
As a Night Elf, I'd LOVE to have a raptor...but I doubt they'll ever let me walk into Org and get one :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom