• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weenerz

Banned
Their "4 hour maintenance" is over and the servers aren't up still. With all the lag and issues this week, we should really get a few free days.

Weenerz said:
Their "4 hour maintenance" is over and the servers aren't up still. With all the lag and issues this week, we should really get a few free days.

It wouldn't bother me so much if they were a little better about communication. There should have been a message somewhere at 9AM sharp to inform us that they're still working on it and they expect it to be done in less than an hour/this afternoon/"soon." I don't understand how such a big, reputable company with an enormous customer base still can't get this simple shit down after all this time.

JoeFu said:
They changed something on one of the top pulls, they split up now. I was just trying to keep them together before they all ran in different directions. It wasn't really a line of sight thing. I was right by the rubble, he was like 2 feet from it. He just didn't want to walk a bit. When I play with my guild, we always do it that way, they never said anything, we never wiped, no one ever dies. I was doing what I do by habit. If he didn't want me there, he should say something. The fact that we did pretty much the whole instance, and I have tanked them in that spot earlier and he healed it without saying anything is what pissed me off. Calling someone stupid, refusing to walk up a bit and heal when he did it before was just dumb.
I like to tank them on the chock points, like for example on the stairs but not on top, that way when adds port in they come straight to me while I have other mobs tanked.

But yea that new pull should be tank at the bottom, as a pally I aggro the two who come from the right with consecration/hammer of the rightousness and then avengers shield the ones coming from the left.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah, I usually do that, but since this one spawned on the left top part and the previous one was on the top right part,I walked a few steps and just consecrated the portal, so I could just hold aggro from the beginning without running all over the place.

Anyways,

Kyoufu said:
How much HP minimum required for Heroics at 80?

I started doing heroics with around 19k unbuffed and my defense was pretty crappy at 508... but the first one I tried was Gun'Drak... everything went well until Gul'Darah. Did UK next and that place is really easy even with low hp and defense. First boss dropped the tanking sword which helped me quite a bit.

firex

for a tank I would say 20k minimum, but if you quest/rep grind enough (i.e. do some solo content/regular instances, and don't just rush into heroics right at 80) you can easily get like 22-24k unbuffed without even gemming/enchanting stuff. I'm including jormungar leg armor/revered AC helm patch as enchants.

like JoeFu, I ran heroic UK/UP with like 510ish defense pretty much as soon as I was 80 and it was easy as fuck. H-UK has like no good tanking upgrades except for the boe cloak if you're a warrior/paladin, but that cloak has a good drop rate. H-UP has, by far, the best tank sword you can get pre-raid, and possibly even still in raids, I'm not sure.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
for a tank I would say 20k minimum, but if you quest/rep grind enough (i.e. do some solo content/regular instances, and don't just rush into heroics right at 80) you can easily get like 22-24k unbuffed without even gemming/enchanting stuff. I'm including jormungar leg armor/revered AC helm patch as enchants.

like JoeFu, I ran heroic UK/UP with like 510ish defense pretty much as soon as I was 80 and it was easy as fuck. H-UK has like no good tanking upgrades except for the boe cloak if you're a warrior/paladin, but that cloak has a good drop rate. H-UP has, by far, the best tank sword you can get pre-raid, and possibly even still in raids, I'm not sure.
It's a push between the Red Sword and the Slayer of the Lifeless (Sword of 1000 Truths).

I haven't gotten around to the Military Wing yet, so I can't say quite yet, but it would match my Skull of Ruin.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
PhoenixDark said:
Smelted the last titansteel bar I needed for the helm, plus got the frosthide armor and +16def cloak enchant you suggested Cubicle

24k health, 554 def
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravenholdt&n=Goinio

Celebrated by doing the heroic DTK daily. First boss is the hardest in the instance imo. Dred wasn't bad (in part thanks to great heals), and the last boss was easy as hell
None of the Heroics are hard. The only one that pisses me off is Oculus because it's stupid and I hate riding on vehicles. I'm sure I'll love Malygos. The only thing you need to do is be wary of pulling too many; good pulling strategy is half of doing the Heroic 5-mans.

You look reasonably set.

If you are comfortable with tanking mechanics and are sure of your abilities to tank Heroics, I'd suggest pulling all your points out of Puncture, which is useless at 80, and putting it into Deep Wounds, take the point out of Imp. Spell Reflect and at least one point from Shield Spec, and put it into Gag Order.

usea

I've never seen anybody pull mobs away from the portals in H VH. Sounds like a recipe for going slowly. I've healed it dozens of times, and it never entered my mind that a tank was annoying/stupid whatever for tanking by the portals. Fuckin retarded healers who just want to stand in one spot all the time and never move.

Drinking in VH? wtf? Mana regen is definitely, absolutely not an issue in that place. I'm at full mana DURING pulls, without replenishment. Even when my gear sucked, you naturally start every pull at full mana due to the time between portals and light incoming damage.

Angry Grimace

usea said:
I've never seen anybody pull mobs away from the portals in H VH. Sounds like a recipe for going slowly. I've healed it dozens of times, and it never entered my mind that a tank was annoying/stupid whatever for tanking by the portals. Fuckin retarded healers who just want to stand in one spot all the time and never move.

Drinking in VH? wtf? Mana regen is definitely, absolutely not an issue in that place. I'm at full mana DURING pulls, without replenishment. Even when my gear sucked, you naturally start every pull at full mana due to the time between portals and light incoming damage.
H VH isn't hard for anyone that's remotely competent. Even if they now go in two direction, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon (obscure David Lee Roth reference) to pick them both up.

Nothing in Violet Hold should cause anyone any problems. It really shouldn't matter where they go.

Lain

Lake wintergrasp was reactivated, and Wotlk world server keeps crashing as soon as the battle is going on.... This is such bullshit =/

Cipherr

usea said:

Going slowly doesn't matter in VH, its going to take you just about the same amount of time whether or not you pull them 3 feet to the stairs (lets not act like we are talking about the tank pulling them 50 yards here, your exaggerating how far they are pulled) or if you just go to the portals. Its pretty much a timed instance with the waits you have, its not really going to matter if you lose 2 minutes on the run because on SOME of the portals the tank took 5 secs to pull them onto the stairs where LOS was not an issue.

Second your mana is YOUR mana. You certainly don't speak for every class, and something like an arcane mage, while they have 2min evocations and the like, can burn mana in a non raid environment VERY swiftly without replenishment. So yes, people DO drink in VH, that its shocking to you is actually shocking to me. I'm not saying that pulling the mobs into easy to LoS places is the fastest way to do VH, nor is it the best way or the only way.

What I'm saying is that when your running a damn PUG, its prooooooooobably best to do things as "idiot" friendly as you possibly can to cut down on errors made by the other 4 airheads in your group. It will only save you headache in the end. Sure you could not pull them into easy to LoS areas in a PUG, but when the stupid healer stands there slamming his heal key and doesn't realize he isn't in LoS of you and wipes the group, now you have lost 15 minutes of your precious time, and screaming at the healer about how lazy he is isn't going to give you those 15 minutes of your life back.

Your best bet is to simply things as much as humanly possible to get through the run. Try and take as much pressure off of the other 4 people who you dont know as you can. You dont really want to rely on them, nor assume they have common sense. It really is better that way.
IMO

Weenerz

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Pending on your class, 20-22k hp should be good enough. 535def places you at uncrit standing.

I don't understand what's up with the armory for some DKs. Mine's a bit messed up. Showing my hp at only 26k, when it's at 28,600hp. Same with armor, it's way low.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nazjatar&n=Drsexxytime

Armory doesn't take stances in to effect. My warrior is missing 3% crit and the other things I get from berzerker stance. So you aren't getting the buffs from frost presence on it either.

Macattk15

Weenerz said:
Armory doesn't take stances in to effect. My warrior is missing 3% crit and the other things I get from berzerker stance. So you aren't getting the buffs from frost presence on it either.

Yeah that annoys me, shows me at 33.5% crit instead and sub 4k AP ... instead of the sexier sounding 36.5% crit and 4039 AP while in Zerker stance.

Before WotLK ... armory used to take into account those things easily, don't know what got messed up.

It didn't get messed up. They fixed it so you didn't see everyone's buffs which made it really hard to see the actual stats a person has. Stances, auras, etc. are part of that.

Cipherr

Oh man, on an offnote, We hunters caught an even larger break that I thought.

Once you perfect your dps rotation as a SV hunter, your dps is higher than it was as BM and much much more sustainable mana wise. Ending patchwerk with full mana is just a complete mindfuck while pulling an additional 250 dps. Once I get regemmed for AGI and remember to turn off track minerals so I can get my 5% damage bonus in Naxx25 (sigh.....old habits) its going to be outrageous.

And the PvP? Such a joke, ES, drop a trap and lure the person chasing you through it > ES SS > ES SS ES(the last one is normally available because it cools down) and anyone that hasn't received a heal is dead. The shot crits for 3k per tick unbuffed and scales phenomenally. Its just so bizzare.

Kweh

Back in the day it used to be CT_Raid addon that was helpful for getting the MT Target. Is it still the same addon or something new and better? I haven't raided since WoW Classic, and recently just got into it all again.

VaLiancY

Puncture said:

Once you perfect your dps rotation as a SV hunter, your dps is higher than it was as BM and much much more sustainable mana wise. Ending patchwerk with full mana is just a complete mindfuck while pulling an additional 250 dps. Once I get regemmed for AGI and remember to turn off track minerals so I can get my 5% damage bonus in Naxx25 (sigh.....old habits) its going to be outrageous.

And the PvP? Such a joke, ES, drop a trap and lure the person chasing you through it > ES SS > ES SS ES(the last one is normally available because it cools down) and anyone that hasn't received a heal is dead. The shot crits for 3k per tick unbuffed and scales phenomenally. Its just so bizzare.

This as a Hunter scares me. I feel that Surv is the new 50/21 and I have this gut feeling it will be scaled back. I hope not cause seeing Explosive Shot crit for 4k three times brings a tear to my eye. :lol

Alex

Celebrated by doing the heroic DTK daily. First boss is the hardest in the instance imo

He's not so bad, just gotta move him as the troll adds die. Of course, when I do that DPS still get hit by corpse explosion every time without fail.

firex

haha, I really fucked up running heroic DTK the one time I did it. I completely forgot the first boss does CE so I just kept tanking him in more or less the same spot. dps were pissed but I apologized and we still managed to pull it out. I guess it helped we only had 2 melee, so the other DPS was ranged. if I had been hit by the CE it would've made me realize I should move the dude, but he's such a joke on normal I forgot he could pose a threat on heroic.

Alex

If youre in a good guild group, you can just stand in it. But for a pug id totally move it, I dont trust pugs!

JoeFu

Banned
I love H DTK, it's so easy. First boss isn't too hard. What we do is tank him right at the top of the stairs while ranged and healers stay at the bottom of them. One of my favorite fights, but pretty much all the bosses in the new instances are tank and spank. And it seems like they are shorter than the ones in TBC.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
So is this survival spec spiffiness for hunters end-game only, or does it look like a viable leveling spec? My hunter's a hair's breadth from hitting Outlands, and this news has peaked my interest.

Xabora

Mr Nash said:
So is this survival spec spiffiness for hunters end-game only, or does it look like a viable leveling spec? My hunter's a hair's breadth from hitting Outlands, and this news has peaked my interest.
Go BM until 80 so your pet can do decent damage and tanking, allows for quicker leveling.
But for Raiding and Heroics go SV if you have enough AGI and Gear.

etiolate

Banned
I tried out the new Elemental last night in Naxx. My first trial was patchwork, and I didn't do as well as I had hoped, but I think since I was dropping CL from the rotation and working in new macros and trinkets, it was a little off for a first run. It was a 500 dps increase, but still 9th dps in a 25 man.

Once I got adjusted to my new EM macro usage and trinkets, I rose up a bit in dps rankings through Naxx. I actually hit 4k dps on the Stalag miniboss before Thaddius.

Two issues are that haste is such a bitch to work around and that I often didn't drop below 95% mana on bosses without even using a Thunderstorm. At this point Elemental could use a huge mana dump spell that provided some dps boost. Chain Light uses up mana, but it hits for a measly 6k crit when LB now hits for 9k+ on crits. The spell itself is sort of getting lost in having a purpose. It is Elementals main aoe, but it only hits a few targets and has a cooldown. As a single target spell, its much weaker than LB or Lava Burst. It is mostly a battleground pvp spell now.

And I've been leveling a priest and hating it. Probably my least liked class to level so far. I eagerly await getting mind flay.

I know I'm way late to the party but I just ran my first 10-man vault today. Man what a change. :lol

I quit a little bit after Naxx first showed up and came back in August '08. Last instances I had ran were ZG/MC. Never got a chance for BWL or AQ with my group. When I came back I was always focused on leveling to 70 before Lich King and wanted to hit 80 at a decent rate so I never ran instances when I came back except for the old ones with my friend who is leveling now.

So Vault was my first instances since the old days, and man, I was expecting some long instance. My friend and I were surprised to find it lasted a few trash mobs and a boss. Pretty awesome.

PS: I was always a pvp player. That's what I've been spending my time with really so that's why I was so far behind in instances.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
To All Enhance Shammys:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gilneas&n=Smapity

So I feel I've been to every site over the last 2 hours researching more details on my class and spec. Through it all there are still some holes and incongruities with what is stated and what I find in game. I would absolutely love your input and it would be much appreciated.

1. Totems - With 3.0.8 here I'm wondering if casting magma or nova in my DPS progression is something to keep up and activated on Naxx boss fights? On EJ's it never really gets mentioned. If the answer is yes then should I cast nova until it pops, then activate magma? I messed with this last night and I couldn't seem to find out what holds more damage casting it or not.

2. More Totems - In a 25 man group (if there isn't a DK using Horn) does using flametongue totem and windfury have any benefit to the group?

3. Progression / Rotation - The general consensus is that MW5 is your highest priority. EJ says use regular lightning because it scales better than chain on single targets. However I can't see what they are talking about? It seems like my chain hits for at least 300damage more than regular. Your thoughts?

Also are you using: MW5, StormStrike, Earth Shock, (then Lash when its up) in that priority list? Also if in question 1 you said use magma or nova, where would it go in the priority list? Last?

4. Gem's - I've been basing most things off of EP value (Enhancement points created by the guys at EJ's.) I have picked my gems trying to get the most EP points per gem, but I have inner turmoil as to if I should put some type of +hit in every gem or take the large AP when possible. What could I change?

5. Spec - When discussing 25man spec's where a DK will be there with horn, and SoE totem won't be useful because it's crossed out with another buff... What spec would you roll with?

Thanks guys, I know it's a lot but these are all important holes lost in my understanding of the class.

Chris R

I know there are shadow hacks, but are there any view distance hacks? My PC has no problem pushing 200+ fps anywhere but darlan, I just want to see stuff further :(

So my guild really wants me to get on vent for when we start raiding and for some reason it won't work for me. Whenever I press connect it just starts a countdown from 10-1 and then starts over again. I assume some piece of software on my computer is stopping me from connecting, but I'm not much of a computer guy so I'm not sure how to figure this out. Any ideas? I already killed Windows Firewall thinking that was the culprit, but alas it is not. Also it won't let me connect to irc either, I get an error message.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I was calling the Survival punch in Hunters a few months back when I was running around on premades with fiddling with it. Was doing a merge of BM/Surv and never died during PVP encounters.

etiolate said:
And I've been leveling a priest and hating it. Probably my least liked class to level so far. I eagerly await getting mind flay.
Priests were a breeze to level, the class with the least downtime back when everything else would go OOM in two or three mobs. Mind Flay certainly helps but it just gets slotted into the rotation with Mind Blast, Shadow Word: Pain and the old trusty wand.

vumpler said:
To All Enhance Shammys:

So I feel I've been to every site over the last 2 hours researching more details on my class and spec. Through it all there are still some holes and incongruities with what is stated and what I find in game. I would absolutely love your input and it would be much appreciated.

1. Totems - With 3.0.8 here I'm wondering if casting magma or nova in my DPS progression is something to keep up and activated on Naxx boss fights? On EJ's it never really gets mentioned. If the answer is yes then should I cast nova until it pops, then activate magma? I messed with this last night and I couldn't seem to find out what holds more damage casting it or not.

2. More Totems - In a 25 man group (if there isn't a DK using Horn) does using flametongue totem and windfury have any benefit to the group?

3. Progression / Rotation - The general consensus is that MW5 is your highest priority. EJ says use regular lightning because it scales better than chain on single targets. However I can't see what they are talking about? It seems like my chain hits for at least 300damage more than regular. Your thoughts?

Also are you using: MW5, StormStrike, Earth Shock, (then Lash when its up) in that priority list? Also if in question 1 you said use magma or nova, where would it go in the priority list? Last?

4. Gem's - I've been basing most things off of EP value (Enhancement points created by the guys at EJ's.) I have picked my gems trying to get the most EP points per gem, but I have inner turmoil as to if I should put some type of +hit in every gem or take the large AP when possible. What could I change?

5. Spec - When discussing 25man spec's where a DK will be there with horn, and SoE totem won't be useful because it's crossed out with another buff... What spec would you roll with?

Thanks guys, I know it's a lot but these are all important holes lost in my understanding of the class.
I don't have the answer to all your questions but in regards to totems yes Windfury with it's haste rating is a very valuable raid buff.

unifin

vumpler said:
To All Enhance Shammys:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dethecus&n=Tempestion

1) On AoE pulls, yes, the totem's worth casting now as long as someone else in your raid is dropping flametongue - I usually don't bother with nova - magma ticks for about 700 and crits for double that now, and ends up doing a lot more total damage than the one-tick nova. Otherwise, use searing totem, imo unless you're really finding that you aren't dipping too low on mana

2) Since Lightning bolt is a base 2.5 second cast but CL is only 2 seconds, lightning bolt takes a larger % of your spell damage into account when calculating the benefit from spellpower. For me on average it hits for a bit harder than CL - besides which, CL is enormously expensive for single-target DPS.

3) Since I go static shock for raids, my priority list looks something like this:

MW 5-stack
SS
ES
LL
Searing Totem
Lightning Shield

But yes, totems should be last on the priority otherwise.

4) Since you're not that close to the raid w/spriest/boomkin debuff and draenei racial spell hit cap for 342, right now +hit is the most valuable stat to cap. I recommend you run heroic nexus and get the Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood to replace that incisor fragment. Armor pen is very low-value for Enh shammies as so much of our damage comes from magic now, and the 55 hit will put you over cap and allow you to replace a gem or two.

5) Improved Strength of Earth (Enhancing Totems) will provide 176 Str/Agi, which is more than the 155 provided by horn of winter, and thus will always overwrite horn while providing a superior DPS buff. If you have a blood death knight in your party consistently, I would spec out of UR and put points into imp shields, call of flame, or ancestral knowledge to max out. If you have a frost death knight in the raid as well, it allows you to take 2 points out of imp WF totem for a total of 7 free points.

I find that this is not usually the case if I'm running heroics for achievements in between raids, so I always spec into those two.

Hope this helps.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Thanks unifin :D All of that was incredibly helpful and helped to fill in the gaps of what I was getting out of these "comprehensive" articles.

Running heroic nexus now for the 2nd time. hopefully it will drop soon

Lain

Lunar festival and getting inside an instance on my server is almost impossible!
Sometimes I hate blizzard sooooo much.

Xabora

1dyoft.jpg

Getting there. :eek:

Flib

Puncture said:

Can you post your build? As a BM hunter, the dps drop I've seen in raids and heroics is really irritating me and I want to respec as soon as possible.

Picked up T7.5 Shoulder and Gloves today

Now have 4/5 t7.5 for the 2nd set bonus

Can't wait to see how if affects my dps, 5% less energy on combo moves......I guess that means more mutilates

marsomega

Anyone currently playing on a notebook with an Nvidia 9400M or 9500M? What is the performance like? I can't find anything concerning this.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Watching old WoW movies, why I have no idea.

Totally forgot about Swifty's Incredible Warrior Tricks back at lvl 60 when he was dueling some of the best PVPers on his server, even back when BGs were still server-side only. Some of the stuff he pulled out was amazing.

Proc

I need a pro tip from raiders in these parts. I'm a rogue, working on my skinning/leatherworking right now. Do you think leatherworking or any other crafting professions are really worth the added ap that comes with them? Just wondering if I should go all the way with it or not.

Proc

Yeah I've been a collector (skinning/herb), I figured I'd work on my lw since it gives armor kits and I've heard it's one of the easiest to level.

Xabora

Proc said:
I need a pro tip from raiders in these parts. I'm a rogue, working on my skinning/leatherworking right now. Do you think leatherworking or any other crafting professions are really worth the added ap that comes with them? Just wondering if I should go all the way with it or not.
If you have the gold, double up professions that benefit you more like:
Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting (Glove/Bracer/Belt Sockets + JC Gems & trinket slots)
Leatherworking and Tailoring/Inscription/Enchanting (Leather insets and cloak enchant/shoulder enchant/ring enchants)

firex

you'll always have the best wrist enchants, I guess. seems like anything a profession can make that's a BoP enchant/gem is better than anything else that's offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom