• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

Angry Grimace said:
Well there usually isn't more trash. When you're on Thaddius or whatever, and then we die cause left apparently equals right (our warlock decided to "go to the gym" instead of raiding, so we PUG'd a DPS, who didn't get it).

I'm always the MT, and my GF is the Main healer.
what he meant is the old vanilla WoW raiding content. tons of trash mobs, mainly because they would drop (or require skinning/mining above the 300 skill cap lolz) stuff needed to craft the same resist gear you'd need to get past some of the fights in that instance.

man, I'm so glad resist fights went the way of the dodo. Tanks getting resist is fine, but having to give a full raid of 40 people resist gear for a specific type was just stupid as hell.

border

My professions right now are engineering, blacksmithing, tailoring, and alchemy.

So far I have invested almost nothing towards getting them from 375 to 450. Keeping in mind that they will all take a pretty significant investment to level (considering that I have NO gathering professions), is it worth keeping all of them? People on the WoW Forums seem to be really down on tailoring and engineering in particular, but people on the WoW Forums hate everything anyway.

Do the crafting professions have any BoP epic items that make it worth the grind, or are they as useless as they were prior to Burning Crusade?

firex

blacksmithing is pretty awesome. engineering not so much, mainly because of the fucking retarded price on the mechano-hog mount's vendor mats and no real good BoP items unless you count goggles (which I wouldn't if you are a plate class, as blacksmithing makes better BoE epic plate helms than engy goggles imo). tailoring at least has BoP cloak enchants to go with new levels of caster leg enchants.

oh, I forgot. blacksmithing does have a nice and relatively cheap boe shield enchant of sorts that gives +40 block value to a shield. it's BoE, though. I have no real idea on alchemy aside from new alchemist stone trinkets. engy does have some decent boe epic guns (a good tank gun for warriors, and a dps gun for hunters) when I think about it to go with the goggles.

most of the other professions have BoP epic items to make them a little more valuable, like JCs and their dragon eye gems, inscription's shoulder enchants, LW's wrist enchants, the new ring enchants for enchanting.

engineering does seem kind of shitty right now, but I personally only stuck with it because of the mounts anyway. I think most of the professions that feel pretty incomplete will get some good new stuff added in later.

firex said:
blacksmithing is pretty awesome. engineering not so much, mainly because of the fucking retarded price on the mechano-hog mount's vendor mats and no real good BoP items unless you count goggles (which I wouldn't if you are a plate class, as blacksmithing makes better BoE epic plate helms than engy goggles imo). tailoring at least has BoP cloak enchants to go with new levels of caster leg enchants.

oh, I forgot. blacksmithing does have a nice and relatively cheap boe shield enchant of sorts that gives +40 block value to a shield. it's BoE, though. I have no real idea on alchemy aside from new alchemist stone trinkets. engy does have some decent boe epic guns (a good tank gun for warriors, and a dps gun for hunters) when I think about it to go with the goggles.

most of the other professions have BoP epic items to make them a little more valuable, like JCs and their dragon eye gems, inscription's shoulder enchants, LW's wrist enchants, the new ring enchants for enchanting.

engineering does seem kind of shitty right now, but I personally only stuck with it because of the mounts anyway. I think most of the professions that feel pretty incomplete will get some good new stuff added in later.

Hence me sticking by Tailoring like a long-suffering wife.

border said:
My professions right now are engineering, blacksmithing, tailoring, and alchemy.

So far I have invested almost nothing towards getting them from 375 to 450. Keeping in mind that they will all take a pretty significant investment to level (considering that I have NO gathering professions), is it worth keeping all of them? People on the WoW Forums seem to be really down on tailoring and engineering in particular, but people on the WoW Forums hate everything anyway.

Do the crafting professions have any BoP epic items that make it worth the grind, or are they as useless as they were prior to Burning Crusade?

Engineering is pretty good if you're a hunter because you can make your own ammo, which is the best available right now. And it's really good if you're a miner also since you'll be getting both ore and eternals while flying around Sholazar Basin. I make a lot of money from selling eternals and sending the ore to my JC to prospect.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Well, I was powerlvling Blacksmithing on my DK...until I got to Thorium. Thorium on my server is like, non-existent on the AH. So, if I want to go on, it's time to lvl mining. =/

border

Well, I don't really care about the BoE smithing/alchemy/engy recipes, because I could easily just have people craft that stuff for me.

Are there any BoP rewards for my professions? That seems like the only reason to level them, and I'm told that the engineering helm sucks anyway. I don't know about BoP rewards for smithing and tailoring. The alchemist stone is a pretty weak reward -- does the profession at least have an easy moneymaking transmute like the Earth-to-Water xmute in Burning Crusade?

firex

I just mentioned cloak enchants for tailoring (BoP), and if LW leg patches are any indication, they probably get way cheaper BoP leg enchants than the BoE versions, too. I really don't know what smithing makes that's BoP anymore. they wanted to make most of its good stuff BoE so they could return to making money with it after TBC made it damn near a necessity for any plate class to go smithing to get (reliable) gear upgrades.

If you really want exclusive BoP stuff go inscription (shoulder enchants better than SoH), LW (wrist enchants), JC (trinkets + dragon's eye gems, which require 375 to use). maybe another crafting profession also has really good BoP stuff. I guess enchanting with its ring enchants, when I think about it.

oh, I forgot the alch-only pots, although they're kind of weak (but you can use them in arena). and at least in my experience alchs can still make some good money transmuting meta gems. but about all I've bothered to really look at in WotLK is LW (did it on my hunter), JC (my pally was already a 375 JC), blacksmithing for its quality epics, and inscription because I'm jealous of their awesome cheap shoulder enchants that mean they don't have to grind Sons of Hodir.

VaLiancY

I'm late to the party but the feral staff that drops off of Kel 25' gives me more stats than the Betrayer of Humanity. I'm sticking with my Black Ice because I'm hit capped with it now but god damn does that staff give me a shit ton of stats. :lol

Weenerz

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
I think it's ridiculous that JC get those dragon eyes gems by doing a daily and then can turn around and sell them for hundreds of gold every day

Get over it, blizzard evicerated the prices of gems now, monarch topaz going for 30g on my server, scarlet ruby at 60g.

Weenerz said:
Get over it, blizzard evicerated the prices of gems now, monarch topaz going for 30g on my server, scarlet ruby at 60g.

I'd still take it instead of getting one daily transmute a day as an alchemist. JC still have it good. The dragon eyes are selling for like 400g on my server; that's enough to get your epic flying mount in like 12 days. Hell, do any other professions even have dailies?

xabre

Banned
The latest fad, intentionally parking the arse of your mammoth mount on top the mailbox outside the auction house so no one can access it.

2h4wa3a.jpg

firex

funkmastergeneral said:
I think it's ridiculous that JC get those dragon eyes gems by doing a daily and then can turn around and sell them for hundreds of gold every day
eh, considering it'd take like 4 months to buy all the gems with daily tokens, it's not too bad to be able to sell them. Plus you have to use 4 per epic ring.

TomServo

border said:
People on the WoW Forums seem to be really down on tailoring and engineering in particular, but people on the WoW Forums hate everything anyway.

The main knock against tailoring is that the profession-specific enhancements are essentially worthless. The cloak embroideries are worse than generic enchants so there's no reason to use them. The leg enhancements are available to other players, tailors just get them for their own gear for next to nothing in terms of mats.

This in in contrast to the prismatic gems for JC, extra sockets for BS, ring enchants for enchanters, longer duration / extra benefit on flasks for alchemists, superior shoulder enchants for scribes, etc.

Making money with tailoring isn't bad. The epic BOE items make nice entry-level raid gear, and the dps caster cloak you get the pattern for from Northrend loremaster is damn near best in slot. Specialty cloth itself sells well as other tailors buy it up to level the last 10-15 points without being dependent on their own cooldowns.

Since it was mentioned a page or two ago thought I'd post a screen up of me being all Mutilate and such with NeedToKnow up. Hey that threat meter sure looks familiar...:D
3236714202_ce7cc5f180_b.jpg

firex

TomServo said:
The main knock against tailoring is that the profession-specific enhancements are essentially worthless. The cloak embroideries are worse than generic enchants so there's no reason to use them. The leg enhancements are available to other players, tailors just get them for their own gear for next to nothing in terms of mats.

This in in contrast to the prismatic gems for JC, extra sockets for BS, ring enchants for enchanters, longer duration / extra benefit on flasks for alchemists, superior shoulder enchants for scribes, etc.

Making money with tailoring isn't bad. The epic BOE items make nice entry-level raid gear, and the dps caster cloak you get the pattern for from Northrend loremaster is damn near best in slot. Specialty cloth itself sells well as other tailors buy it up to level the last 10-15 points without being dependent on their own cooldowns.
oh yeah, I forgot the smithing "socket your own gear" stuff. that shit rules and is a huge advantage. what I meant when I said easier leg enchants was just like you said: same enchants as the boe enchants, but vastly less mats required. It's still a nice perk, but yeah, it needs some work.

I wish they could do something like that with engineering. seems like all it's good for is building goggles if you aren't a plate class, selling the 2 epic guns, and getting bankrupted making a mechano-hog. none of those really thrills me.

I personally wouldn't mind some kind of lightning shock enchant for gloves that would be a high ppm proc on dealing damage, and/or reworking the haste enchant so it's a ppm proc, too. the belt enchants are a novel idea, too, but they could use some work.

I'm impressed with LW, though. after it sucked ass in TBC, they at least made it into a decent crafting profession now. easy to raise, excellent BoP wrist enchants, cheaper leg enchants all make it pretty good.

come to think of it, tailoring should be able to make BoP bags with less mats but the same number of slots as the more expensive BoE stuff. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it'd be a good perk for being a tailor that would easily benefit anyone. or they could craft a "pocket expansion" for a bag that would add 2 more slots but make the bag BoP or something.

TomServo

firex said:
come to think of it, tailoring should be able to make BoP bags with less mats but the same number of slots as the more expensive BoE stuff. I know that probably doesn't make sense, but it'd be a good perk for being a tailor that would easily benefit anyone. or they could craft a "pocket expansion" for a bag that would add 2 more slots but make the bag BoP or something.

That still wouldn't address the problem from a min/max standpoint.

Bag space has never been a problem for me. I've got a dragon hide bag and 32 slot soul bag on my toon and a 32 slot enchanting bag in a bank slot, but other than that it's all 20 slot bags. Most of the bags in the bank are half full, one is completely empty. Granted, I've never bothered with cooking and fishing but I don't see how my friends have a need for bank alts with multiple guild tabs.

firex

well, I'm assuming they'll make the BoP cloak stuff worthwhile in the future. I didn't even know how shitty it was to be honest since I haven't bothered with tailoring in a long time. but being able to make bigger bags cheaper would at least give some people more incentive to be tailors. but personally I don't have much bank space primarily because of cooking/fishing/jewelcrafting. although I guess if I could find a jewel bag bigger than the 20 slotter sold on the thrallmar innkeeper that would be less of an issue for me.

TomServo

firex said:
well, I'm assuming they'll make the BoP cloak stuff worthwhile in the future. I didn't even know how shitty it was to be honest since I haven't bothered with tailoring in a long time.

I hope so. Lightweave embroidery get trampled on by the +23 haste enchant pretty quickly as you start gearing up. Not so sure about darkweave, but I'm guessing +23 haste is better for healers as well.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
I just mentioned cloak enchants for tailoring (BoP), and if LW leg patches are any indication, they probably get way cheaper BoP leg enchants than the BoE versions, too. I really don't know what smithing makes that's BoP anymore. they wanted to make most of its good stuff BoE so they could return to making money with it after TBC made it damn near a necessity for any plate class to go smithing to get (reliable) gear upgrades.

If you really want exclusive BoP stuff go inscription (shoulder enchants better than SoH), LW (wrist enchants), JC (trinkets + dragon's eye gems, which require 375 to use). maybe another crafting profession also has really good BoP stuff. I guess enchanting with its ring enchants, when I think about it.

oh, I forgot the alch-only pots, although they're kind of weak (but you can use them in arena). and at least in my experience alchs can still make some good money transmuting meta gems. but about all I've bothered to really look at in WotLK is LW (did it on my hunter), JC (my pally was already a 375 JC), blacksmithing for its quality epics, and inscription because I'm jealous of their awesome cheap shoulder enchants that mean they don't have to grind Sons of Hodir.
Us BS have extra sockets :-/

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Epix said:
Arg!!! Finally downed Malygos(10) and it wouldn't let me loot the quest item (Heart of Magic). /gmticket
I assume you were the person who looted the Key to the Focusing Iris?

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
Ya, I have the quest as well as the person who actually was able to loot the heart.
Wait, you mean you were the only person able to loot the heart, or you mean the person who looted the heart has the quest? Everyone should be able to loot the heart if they have the quest, but it's a known bug on Malygos where you cannot loot the heart if you die during the encounter Malygos is killed in and release (you cannot rez in EoE). In some cases, the gift simply doesn't have the heart.

Because the Achievement will list your kill, what I'd do is: ask a GM to give you the heart. If they say no, petition a different one. You'd be surprised at the difference between what GM's CAN do and what they WILL do, depending on the GM you ask. Some GM's will tell you to suck it, some GM's will give you the item in question. Make sure to have your RaidID for the instance handy.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
Wait, you mean you were the only person able to loot the heart, or you mean the person who looted the heart has the quest?

Because you can only loot one heart regardless of who has the quest if it's the latter case.

But there's a known a bug on Malygos where you cannot loot the heart if you die during the encounter Malygos is killed in and release (you cannot rez in EoE).

Because the Achievement will list your kill, what I'd do is: ask a GM to give you the heart. If they say no, petition a different one. You'd be surprised at the difference between what GM's CAN do and what they WILL do, depending on the GM you ask. Some GM's will tell you to suck it, some GM's will give you the item in question.
I have the quest. The raid leader has the quest. I die during the Malygos encounter where we kill him. We all ended up dieing, but so did Malygos. When we zone back in the loot is waiting. The raid leader loots the heart and I am unable to loot the heart. I click and nothing happens. No message or anything. I already opened the petition. I'm sure they'll just give me the item. I have the achievement for verification.

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
I have the quest. The raid leader has the quest. I die during the Malygos encounter where we kill him. We all ended up dieing, but so did Malygos. When we zone back in the loot is waiting. The raid leader loots the heart and I am unable to loot the heart. I click and nothing happens. No message or anything. I already opened the petition. I'm sure they'll just give me the item. I have the achievement for verification.
I am wrong about the Heart being single drop; everyone can get it as it's a quest item.

The RaidID is what they will usually want; it's on your Raid Info screen from the raid tab. Some GMs are mean though. If one tells you that only one can be looted, ask a different one until you get it.

Xabora

Manick Joe said:
Since it was mentioned a page or two ago thought I'd post a screen up of me being all Mutilate and such with NeedToKnow up. Hey that threat meter sure looks familiar...:D
3236714202_ce7cc5f180_b.jpg
This picture makes me feel good.
As for that quest... I don't remember doing it.

EDIT: I know now. :eek:

Epix said:
Arg!!! Finally downed Malygos(10) and it wouldn't let me loot the quest item (Heart of Magic). /gmticket
Sounds like a sync issue with permission for loot.
Including the problem you listed above
So itsa bug with code.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:

Sounds like a sync issue with permission for loot.
Including the problem you listed above
So itsa bug with code.
You can still get that quest, but you have to go all the way to Eastern Plaguelands to get it o_O

TomServo

Kyoufu said:
26 buffs? holy guacamole.

Welcome to 25 man raids. As a destruction warlock, I'm partial to moonkin aura and totem of wrath.

Also... am I reading that threat meter wrong, or is the rogue that posted it about to be hateful striked? Looks like he's third on threat in melee range.

Warrior
Bear
Mage
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Priest
Rogue

I'm guessing the guy that's getting killed in the screenshot was one of the hateful tanks?

Angry Grimace

TomServo said:
Welcome to 25 man raids. As a destruction warlock, I'm partial to moonkin aura and totem of wrath.

Also... am I reading that threat meter wrong, or is the rogue that posted it about to be hateful striked? Looks like he's third on threat in melee range.

Warrior
Bear
Mage
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Priest
Rogue

I'm guessing the guy that's getting killed in the screenshot was one of the hateful tanks?
50 DKP minus!

Boy, out of the ancient WoW quotes, that one hasn't aged as well as "leeroy jenkins"

I'm getting kind of tired of the game. Thinking about selling my account and just starting over fresh.

I know it's against the blizzard TOS to sell, but is it against GAF TOS to talk about whether anyone has sold their account in the past and how they did it and what their experience was like?

I have an 80 warrior and a few others around the 70s (75 hunter, 69 priest, 70 druid) and then a few more 46-65. I think if i got rid of this account and started fresh I'd have more incentive to play. Now I'm just kind of burnt out and have no direction with my dudes since there is so much to choose from.

Angry Grimace

OK now I'm starting to notice random framerate chugging everywhere in the game. Kind of annoying.

I mean, not unplayable, but 40 FPS on a i7 and GTX 260 is pretty stupid; this isn't Crysis.

Xabora

Angry Grimace said:
OK now I'm starting to notice random framerate chugging everywhere in the game. Kind of annoying.

I mean, not unplayable, but 40 FPS on a i7 and GTX 260 is pretty stupid; this isn't Crysis.
Heres a semi decent fix:
Code:
/console timingMethod 1
/console UIFaster 0
Restart WoW and you should see some hitching/chugging go away.

Xabora said:

Heh, hey I gotta get that Loremaster one way or the other. I went off to solo Strat for the Elder and noticed this quest at the chapel. Sucks that there aren't enough aboms to finish it in one clear =(.

Kyoufu said:
26 buffs? holy guacamole
And I don't even have my lovely Pally Kings buff!

TomServo said:

Warrior
Bear
Mage
Hunter
Hunter
Warlock
Mage
Priest
Rogue

We actually two tank Patchwerk most weeks. As you can see sometimes healing slips a bit and melee eats it.

J-Rzez

xabre said:
The latest fad, intentionally parking the arse of your mammoth mount on top the mailbox outside the auction house so no one can access it.

Open Ticket + Screen Shot (yes, they've asked before) = GM temp ban of said person.

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
Open Ticket + Screen Shot (yes, they've asked before) = GM temp ban of said person.
If GMs would get off their arse and use the /console port locationname.wtf command they'd be there to see it.:lol
Unless they missed it.

Kyoufu

Any suggestions on what to farm? Seems like my Rugged Leather/Tangy Clam Meat market has crashed in hell. I'd like to get epic flying+northrend flying before 77 (I'm 75).

J-Rzez

Xabora said:
If GMs would get off their arse and use the /console port locationname.wtf command they'd be there to see it.:lol
Unless they missed it.

:lol

BTW. I can attest, if you're a DK, and you're supposed to be DPS, DW is the only way to go with it. Yes, blood is fun, rune weapon especially in PVP, Unholy is great all around too. But, damn, DW is insane.

Can you PM me your rotation? I want to make sure I'm doing it right. Soon to be -1 tank on my server lol.

Won

Finally came around to tank a bit with my DK and it is surprisingly hard at the beginning. (or Paladin is just stupid easy) At least for groups of trash mobs, no spammable consecration makes me cry. :(

VaLiancY

So the Betrayer dropped tonight and I won the roll....and I gave it to my friend in the guild. It feels good to give something good to someone else. I hope he can put up numbers with it.:D

JoeFu

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Finally hit 80 this afternoon and want to start tanking heroics, but my friend at work said if I was under 20,000HP unbuffed I'll get kicked out of any group I join - I'm at about 19,500 HP and with my gear do you think I can do instances

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anetheron&n=Moonunit

Your HP is fine, but it's your defense that needs to be worked on. You won't last long with your defense that low.

I started tanking heroics at 490+ defense. Try doing Heroic Utgarde Keep. If you get the sword it should help.

Getting the head enchant from Argent Crusade will help a bunch too 37stam+20def.

Uhh, your rings are kinda bad as is your neck... Run reg Gun'Drak to see if you can get Gal'Darah's ring to drop. Your chest is bad too. If you don't have revered with Wyrmrest, see if you can get the tanking chest from the Kalu'ak, it's not that bad and it's what I used till I got my chest from Wyrmrest.

And if you want to spend some money, buy some blues from the auction house.

Angry Grimace

Got a shiny Key to the Focusing Iris =D

I assume that this isn't a "one time" use key, right :eek:

I mean, I can continue to take on EoE permanently now that I have one?

Kyoufu

Won said:
Finally came around to tank a bit with my DK and it is surprisingly hard at the beginning. (or Paladin is just stupid easy) At least for groups of trash mobs, no spammable consecration makes me cry. :(

What level are you? DK has Death and Decay which is like Consecration except you can target it manually. Also if you spec into Unholy tree you get more AoE DoT goodness in the form of Unholy Blight.

I definitely prefer tanking on DK than I did on my pally (pally was easy, but not as fun).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom