• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

funkmastergeneral said:
Finally hit 80 this afternoon and want to start tanking heroics, but my friend at work said if I was under 20,000HP unbuffed I'll get kicked out of any group I join - I'm at about 19,500 HP and with my gear do you think I can do instances

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anetheron&n=Moonunit
There's tons of rep stuff you can farm via quests/instances, and don't jump into heroics right away. Do normals with people who aren't 80 yet until you get upgrades. probably the easiest way to figure out what to run for upgrades is either wowhead or use atlasloot ingame and just check the plate drops. make sure to buy refined ore gloves off the AH if you ever see them for an affordable price, as they are the best pre-raid warrior/pally tank gloves.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
the only reason I asked was because Alexstraza put some kind of "buff" on my character...I hope this doesn't mean I lose the Focusing Key after I try Malygos once o_O

Angry Grimace said:
the only reason I asked was because Alexstraza put some kind of "buff" on my character...I hope this doesn't mean I lose the Focusing Key after I try Malygos once o_O
The Key to the Focusing Iris is just like the urn for Nightbane, you use it to summon Malygos. It stays in your inventory to reuse each attempt or week, depending on your guild.

Kyoufu

Woot I just happened to be at Moonglade at the right time. Went there to get some Enchanting recipes and stumbled upon a ?? boss called Omen. Got an invite to a raid and we downed it. I had an awesome 140 dps on it at 74, but hey free achievement!

Thanks for the insight on tanking gear, I didn't realize how much work I had ahead of me before I could do instances

And I have a question about enchanting - I used to have a level 5 alt that I would send greens to and DE and then sell/use the mats. I understand you can't do this anymore, and was wondering what the minimum character level and enchanting level would be required in order to DE around level 70 greens.

JoeFu

Banned
Yeah, there's a bunch of work to get geared for heroics, then raids. I offtanked normal 10 man Naxx with my guild last night and was the MT for Patchwerk so I wouldn't get the hateful strikes. Fun stuff. We couldn't get Gluth down, no crowd control for the zombies as the group consisted of dps DK's , 1 pally, and 1 Shaman. It was hard, we got him almost down, then the zombies came :(

JoeFu said:
Your HP is fine, but it's your defense that needs to be worked on. You won't last long with your defense that low.

I started tanking heroics at 490+ defense. Try doing Heroic Utgarde Keep. If you get the sword it should help.

Getting the head enchant from Argent Crusade will help a bunch too 37stam+20def.

Uhh, your rings are kinda bad as is your neck... Run reg Gun'Drak to see if you can get Gal'Darah's ring to drop. Your chest is bad too. If you don't have revered with Wyrmrest, see if you can get the tanking chest from the Kalu'ak, it's not that bad and it's what I used till I got my chest from Wyrmrest.

And if you want to spend some money, buy some blues from the auction house.

I totally agree with Wyrmrest. Every tank should get them to revered asap. You should be close to honored just through finishing dragonblight, and the cloak you get for that is great. Then the revered grind through dailies and some 80 dungeons is pretty worth it for the chest you'll get.

I wouldn't suggest tanking heroics until you're at the heroic defense cap of 535 though. Just my opinion, but recommending only 490 is pretty low, and if your dps isn't up to snuff, you're going to wipe a lot. There are enough crafted and blue 80 dungeon (as well as world quest!) rewards out there that getting to the cap is quite reasonable. Pick up the saronite tanking set from a blacksmith, it's pretty cheap and will help a LOT. You really shouldn't have any greens if you're tanking heroics, but, again, that's just my opinion and not a rule.

I'm sure this depends on the instance though, H UK might be doable, but something like Gundrak is going to be quite challenging--especially if the DPS is as undergeared as the tank.

But if your group is successful, by all means go for it.

(Also, if you're recommending the Red Sword of Courage--it's in H UP, not UK. There is actually a pretty awesome tanking weapon you can get from the Zul Drak zone for doing a really quick 3 man quest. http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857 Either the hammer or axe are awesome until you can find something better in a heroic, or the eternally folded blade.)

Edit: From looking at op's gear, looks like he already did Ragemane and picked the sword instead of the axe or hammer, oh well. =)

Anyway, go to this page and it will tell you everything you need to know to get started on heroics:

http://www.tanklikeagirl.com/2008/12/02/wotlk-shopping-list-for-prot-warriors

Edit 2:

funkmastergeneral said:
Thanks for the insight on tanking gear, I didn't realize how much work I had ahead of me before I could do instances

And I have a question about enchanting - I used to have a level 5 alt that I would send greens to and DE and then sell/use the mats. I understand you can't do this anymore, and was wondering what the minimum character level and enchanting level would be required in order to DE around level 70 greens.

I'm pretty sure in order to DE wotlk stuff, you need to be 325 in enchanting--which requires getting level 50 and to outlands for the trainer.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Orbitcube said:
The Key to the Focusing Iris is just like the urn for Nightbane, you use it to summon Malygos. It stays in your inventory to reuse each attempt or week, depending on your guild.
What about my guild?

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
What about my guild?
He means depending on how often your guild runs Malygos. The key will start the encounter whenever you're available to run the encounter. Forever.

JoeFu

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
I totally agree with Wyrmrest. Every tank should get them to revered asap. You should be close to honored just through finishing dragonblight, and the cloak you get for that is great. Then the revered grind through dailies and some 80 dungeons is pretty worth it for the chest you'll get.

I wouldn't suggest tanking heroics until you're at the heroic defense cap of 535 though. Just my opinion, but recommending only 490 is pretty low, and if your dps isn't up to snuff, you're going to wipe a lot. There are enough crafted and blue 80 dungeon (as well as world quest!) rewards out there that getting to the cap is quite reasonable. Pick up the saronite tanking set from a blacksmith, it's pretty cheap and will help a LOT. You really shouldn't have any greens if you're tanking heroics, but, again, that's just my opinion and not a rule.

I'm sure this depends on the instance though, H UK might be doable, but something like Gundrak is going to be quite challenging--especially if the DPS is as undergeared as the tank.

But if your group is successful, by all means go for it.

(Also, if you're recommending the Red Sword of Courage--it's in H UP, not UK. There is actually a pretty awesome tanking weapon you can get from the Zul Drak zone for doing a really quick 3 man quest. http://www.wowhead.com/?quest=12857 Either the hammer or axe are awesome until you can find something better in a heroic, or the eternally folded blade.)

Edit: From looking at op's gear, looks like he already did Ragemane and picked the sword instead of the axe or hammer, oh well. =)

Anyway, go to this page and it will tell you everything you need to know to get started on heroics:

http://www.tanklikeagirl.com/2008/12/02/wotlk-shopping-list-for-prot-warriors

Edit 2:

I'm pretty sure in order to DE wotlk stuff, you need to be 325 in enchanting--which requires getting level 50 and to outlands for the trainer.

I was talking about the Infantry Assault Blade, it's what I use now, best one before the Red Sword of Courage, H UP is haaaard, I hate it, but H UK is easy, that's why I was recommending him to do UK first, and the first boss drops it too, fairly easy to get.

Angry Grimace

JoeFu said:
I was talking about the Infantry Assault Blade, it's what I use now, best one before the Red Sword of Courage, H UP is haaaard, I hate it, but H UK is easy, that's why I was recommending him to do UK first, and the first boss drops it too, fairly easy to get.
If you're going to take the assault blade, I'd recommend speccing into Deep Wounds.

firex

infantry assault blade isn't bad for a tanking paladin. you can use ppm seals like wisdom or light and have them proc on every attack, which also means every single hammer of the righteous will proc them as many times as you have targets to hit.

JoeFu

Banned
Well I have no idea the differences between war and pally tanks. I'm speaking from my pally tanking experience. I just thought the def on the sword would be fine for a warrior too.

Epix

As a side note I think there's too much tank gear in the game right now. It seems like 6/10 raid drops are tank gear, 3/10 are spell gear (healing, caster dps) and 1/10 is melee dps gear.

JoeFu said:

Ah, sorry. =)

I need a new belt and shoulders the most right now--I just dinged last Sat and am working on getting my HP up now that I'm over defense cap. Shoulders are h gundrak upgrades and first boss is a complete and total bitch if your dps isn't each at least close to 2k. Lame. =P

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
As a side note I think there's too much tank gear in the game right now. It seems like 6/10 raid drops are tank gear, 3/10 are spell gear (healing, caster dps) and 1/10 is melee dps gear.
The fact that DPS'ers no longer think they need to be geared for anything means this is a good thing. Since I'm expected to show up to Naxx in all purples, and DPS just say "whatever" means there SHOULD be more tank gear.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
The fact that DPS'ers no longer think they need to be geared for anything means this is a good thing. Since I'm expected to show up to Naxx in all purples, and DPS just say "whatever" means there SHOULD be more tank gear.
It doesn't make much sense though when 60% of the group is composed of dps. I'd be in favor of more dps race types of fights if that meant the requirement on better quality dps was higher and subsequently more gear was available. It pains me to constantly see see 3-4/5 drops off of each boss be tank gear that the two tanks in the group don't need.

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
It doesn't make much sense though when 60% of the group is composed of dps. I'd be in favor of more dps race types of fights if that meant the requirement on better quality dps was higher and subsequently more gear was available. It pains me to constantly see see 3-4/5 drops off of each boss be tank gear that the two tanks in the group don't need.
I'll give you that every single piece of tank gear out of Naxx has dropped in the three times I've done the place.

But part of the reason for it is because there are four tank classes and 2 of each DPS type; plus there are never enough Tanks; I'm thinking they're encouraging more people to tank.

The drastic reduction in the number and utility of rogues means that we D/E a lot of leather.

Angry Grimace said:
I'll give you that every single piece of tank gear out of Naxx has dropped in the three times I've done the place.

But part of the reason for it is because there are four tank classes and 2 of each DPS type; plus there are never enough Tanks; I'm thinking they're encouraging more people to tank.

The drastic reduction in the number and utility of rogues means that we D/E a lot of leather.

Poor rogues. I haven't partied with a single one in a long time. No use anymore with everything so AoE heavy and CC incredibly useless. True about the leather going to waste though--I've seen sooooo much of it drop, and all of the druids already have it all since they are only rolling against themselves.

Xabora

SnakeswithLasers said:
Poor rogues. I haven't partied with a single one in a long time. No use anymore with everything so AoE heavy and CC incredibly useless. True about the leather going to waste though--I've seen sooooo much of it drop, and all of the druids already have it all since they are only rolling against themselves.
We literally have no active rogues so I end up getting all of the 1H loot.

34orket.jpg

Belfast

Xabora said:

34orket.jpg

I'm the only active rogue in my guild, so I'm rather pimped out in that department, though on some pieces I'm still competing with hunters and feral droods.

I've gotten a lot of my gear for the minimum DKP bid, and almost all leather drops have been mine.

DESPITE all that, my overall DPS (with a scant few exceptions) is still horrible.

I was the only raiding rogue in the guild but we have 3 now

I'm just glad I got most of my gear early on for min-DKP and now the other 2 rogues are also fairly well geared and not spending that much DKP lol

But yea, I used to be top 3 in DPS all the time, now I've dropped below 5th on most fights because the other classes have caught up gear wise :(

Beq

Neo Member
Recently just bought a new computer (it should be coming in next week... cant...wait..) and I will be getting back into wow.

What server does everyone play on? All the people I used to play with, we all pretty much left at the same time, so I should be starting out fresh.

Not looking for anybody to grind me through instances or any of that crap, but its nice to have some people to talk to, lol.

If anyone needs a smart/reliable player let me know.

CassSept

Well problem is, situation of rogues right now is horrible, worst since a long time. To be honest, it's all due to these goddamn idiotic arenas. I swear, every time i see blue post that "they can't boost X because it would be op in arenas" Im getting more and more annoyed at arenas.
Rogues are right now destroyed, and it's all because of "arena balance" (which is a joke). A good idea would be skills having two versions, one for PvE, and one for arenas/BG/WG (world pvp is dead anyway) or something like this, or failed attempts at arena balance will just furthermore destroy any kind of pve balance.

And hailstorm is just nice-looking, but useless sword :p Muti ftw!

CassSept said:
Well problem is, situation of rogues right now is horrible, worst since a long time. To be honest, it's all due to these goddamn idiotic arenas. I swear, every time i see blue post that "they can't boost X because it would be op in arenas" Im getting more and more annoyed at arenas.
Rogues are right now destroyed, and it's all because of "arena balance" (which is a joke). A good idea would be skills having two versions, one for PvE, and one for arenas/BG/WG (world pvp is dead anyway) or something like this, or failed attempts at arena balance will just furthermore destroy any kind of pve balance.

yeah they just need to breakdown and have 2 stats "pve, and pvp" just bite the bullet and do it, then we can all co exist. With the 2 talent specs coming up you could have a pve and pvp 'set it makes sense

firex

people (including me) have said that since they added pvp to the original WoW beta like 5 years ago. it's just so much easier to balance that way.

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:

34orket.jpg
Our hunter has 2 hatestrikes. I feel bad for any rogue that stuck with it, but they pretty much suck now. They have to work 3 times as hard to match DPS with everyone else. We have a rogue, but he sucks too much to get into Naxxramas.

It's just that they have no real utility over Fury Warriors or Retribution Paladins who can do equal damage with less skill/gear. And Fury warriors bring shouts, rampage, talented demoralizings, etc. and obviously Pallies bring many skills.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Angry Grimace said:
Our hunter has 2 hatestrikes. I feel bad for any rogue that stuck with it, but they pretty much suck now. They have to work 3 times as hard to match DPS with everyone else. We have a rogue, but he sucks too much to get into Naxxramas.

It's just that they have no real utility over Fury Warriors or Retribution Paladins who can do equal damage with less skill/gear. And Fury warriors bring shouts, rampage, talented demoralizings, etc. and obviously Pallies bring many skills.
In a blue post they said they were currently working to overhaul combat spec because of its low dps. Maybe they have something in the works?

I feel like it was rightfully so that they started to (moreso) phase out rogues in BC. There were WAY to many on my server at least. Gilneas was rampid with rogues. Now it's DK's since they are the new hotness but at least they can carry weight.

Angry Grimace

vumpler said:
In a blue post they said they were currently working to overhaul combat spec because of its low dps. Maybe they have something in the works?

I feel like it was rightfully so that they started to (moreso) phase out rogues in BC. There were WAY to many on my server at least. Gilneas was rampid with rogues. Now it's DK's since they are the new hotness but at least they can carry weight.
Yeah, but the downside is that most people are wary of the fact that many Death Knights simply leveled as fast as they could without figuring out how to play one.

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
He means depending on how often your guild runs Malygos. The key will start the encounter whenever you're available to run the encounter. Forever.
Yeeha. I figured it, since it's on the keychain, but you never know. I didn't want to start trying him on a Sunday or something and find out I have to run through Naxxramas again just to get at the damn key again :D

Maybe I'll offer up some Malygos PUGs to the posers in trade chat that never shut up about what their DPS is that haven't gotten anywhere in actual raids :lol Seriously, though, the 10 man content is really easy, but I can see myself getting annoying instantly with trying to manage 25 people. More fights like Sapphiron, Blizzard, less easy crap like the rest of Naxxramas.

Although I won't be surprised when Ulduar removes the attunement, er, key as a requirement to fight Malygos, since that's pretty much been Blizzard's MO for a while now.

Cipherr

funkmastergeneral said:
I'd still take it instead of getting one daily transmute a day as an alchemist. JC still have it good. The dragon eyes are selling for like 400g on my server; that's enough to get your epic flying mount in like 12 days. Hell, do any other professions even have dailies?

I bought my alt that I leveled from 60 to 80 all of his flying from selling dragons eye's back when they were still going to 475g a pop on my server.

zam

BigJonsson said:
I was the only raiding rogue in the guild but we have 3 now

I'm just glad I got most of my gear early on for min-DKP and now the other 2 rogues are also fairly well geared and not spending that much DKP lol

But yea, I used to be top 3 in DPS all the time, now I've dropped below 5th on most fights because the other classes have caught up gear wise :(
Yeah, I'm on of two rogues in my guild, and we are both very active raiders, and it's very few fights either of us are nr 1 dps, and I have pretty much the best gear I can get apart from one or two small upgrades. Mages and DPS Warrs are beating us by over 1k dps :(

SnakeswithLasers said:
Rogues aren't completely useless in 5-mans, I can do 3-3.5k dps in 5-mans without any significant buffs, and we are still high dps in raids, plus now we have Master Poisoner in case there is no ret pala, or Savage Combat for 2% more damage.

Also when doing Sartharion with drakes a rogue with anesthetic poison makes the fight go A LOT easier. Can dispel a whole pack of enraged elementals with one Fan of Knives.

CassSept said:

Yeah, rogues definitely need a buff, PVP is fucking up our PVE dps. But at least Blizzard has acknowledged that rogues are in need of a buff.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Practically 4manned Omen this morning... our holy priest had crazy mana regen so all he had to do was keep the tank up and we sloooooowly whittled the boss down.

I had 1.5M dmg done, at the end:lol :lol :lol

Fight took FOREVER.

Kyoufu

Need some info here. Took a group to Violet Hold (normal) for the first time and wiped (yes, wiped lol) on the first boss a few times before we called it quits. Granted, our DPS wasn't as high as it should've been, but we just couldn't survive the fight. The problem was the summoned voids raped our group.

I've heard that there is an activation crystal (?) that you can press to get rid of the voids, but is that true? Is it something we're supposed to save for a later boss or what? Thanks for any tips :)

GDJustin said:
Practically 4manned Omen this morning... our holy priest had crazy mana regen so all he had to do was keep the tank up and we sloooooowly whittled the boss down.

I had 1.5M dmg done, at the end:lol :lol :lol

Fight took FOREVER.

I remember hearing tales of either hunters straight soloing Omen or kiting him to a major city.

Chris R

Well hopefully I'm going to be getting a job shortly, so I've been looking around for a guild that would be doing heroics/raids after I would be getting home from work. At about 1150spelldmg and 25% crit for a FFB (with like 200 hit and 5% haste) mage I should be able to get into a guild just starting to raid right???

firex

Kyoufu said:
Need some info here. Took a group to Violet Hold (normal) for the first time and wiped (yes, wiped lol) on the first boss a few times before we called it quits. Granted, our DPS wasn't as high as it should've been, but we just couldn't survive the fight. The problem was the summoned voids raped our group.

I've heard that there is an activation crystal (?) that you can press to get rid of the voids, but is that true? Is it something we're supposed to save for a later boss or what? Thanks for any tips :)
that fight is basically a remix of Jin'do from ZG. Someone gets a debuff from the boss and has to kill voids/void spawners, because you can only see/target them with the debuff up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I feel pity for the Rogues, and that's coming from someone who detests them in PVP. I was good friends with an Orc Rogue on my server and he was brilliant, but he quit just before Wrath hit.

There's definitely a low population of Rogues.

If you're going to a fair weather, FOTM chasing anything, don't even bother. :\

Don't pity Rogues for not being able to out DPS everyone with one the easiest raiding specs to play this side of steady shot spamming hunters. It's not keeping me out of groups. And if it's keeping you out of groups, you need a new guild.

Swag

Oni Link 666 said:
If you're going to a fair weather, FOTM chasing anything, don't even bother. :\

Don't pity Rogues for not being able to out DPS everyone with one the easiest raiding specs to play this side of steady shot spamming hunters. It's not keeping me out of groups. And if it's keeping you out of groups, you need a new guild.

My mains are a Holy Pala and an Arc Mage just needed a change of pace :<

Did H UK earlier today. Had no problems holding aggro and my gear/health held up nicely. No good drops tho

It was a guild run except for me. It was odd because a third through the instance they started complaining about me marking targets and using ready check. So I stopped marking for a bit, as expected people were targeting the wrong mobs, cc was being broken, etc. No one died because of it but the group's dmg taken went up. Finally a couple people admitted that yes, marking is cool.

So yea, since when is marking and using ready check noobish? It ensures everyone's on the same page and eliminated frivolous wipes. It's not like I use ready check on every mob, but if we're about to engage 4+ mobs or a boss, I use it.

Beq

Neo Member
Marking should always be used. Ready check, in my experience I only used it on bosses/minibosses.

If readycheck is having to be used on regular mobs, that means the group is going too slow... But if its your playstyle, and it works for you, more power to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom