• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

xabre

Banned
Puncture said:
Strongly disagree, cant possibly see how people justify this POV. The only way I could see this making sense is if you consider joe casual actually seeing KelThuzad in 10 man makes you less awesome for Seeing KelThuzad in 25 man. Basically other than E-Peen, how is this a bad thing? More paying customers seeing more of the content.

You know i'm just so looking forward to 10 man lich king. They've spent years building him up as this ultimate badarse only to end up being downed by a 10 man pug :lol. You know how stupid this sounds? I have no problem with 10 man wings of high end raid instances for casual players; this is good, I welcome this. But not the same identical content for both. Reward the players who make the time and effort to clear 25 mans with new content.

Xabora

J-Rzez said:
Hmm, so the heroism emblems will be useless then, they're not bumping them up like they did in TBC adding more gear in for them, just high number of "badges" needed? That kinda sucks if they do that. But guess we saw this coming with the different 2 emblem types already.

But as a DK tank main-spec, I'm not happy with that pest change. Not happy one bit. And they're planning on bringing up blood to DW dps by giving armor penetration to blood gorged while getting the garg down further in Unholy out of typical range of DW DKs?
They're also lowing the armor on naxx bosses to... guess to make it a bit more inline with Ulduar.

This may have gotten out of kilter to some, but:

Leveling 5 mans -> Regular 80 5 mans -> Herioc 5 mans -> T7 10/25s -> T8 10/25s

I'm actually amazed they put their foot down about this after the rapid speeding up of content consuming they're pushing lately.

xabre said:
You know i'm just so looking forward to 10 man lich king. They've spent years building him up as this ultimate badarse only to end up being downed by a 10 man pug :lol. You know how stupid this sounds? I have no problem with 10 man wings of high end raid instances for casual players; this is good, I welcome this. But not the same identical content for both. Reward the players who make the time and effort to clear 25 mans with new content.

so give the poopsockers better gear.

id actually prefer a godmode mode, where u get nothing but are able to just go thru the content to see the lore, would help with ultra casuals like me who started in november 08 and never even got mc attuned :lol

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
ZombieSupaStar said:

id actually prefer a godmode mode, where u get nothing but are able to just go thru the content to see the lore, would help with ultra casuals like me who started in november 08 and never even got mc attuned :lol
Why the hell would you get mc attuned?

VaLiancY

rhfb said:
How viable are DK tanks? Sucks always LF Tank, where I could just already always have a group.

Really good at holding AoE threat. I think everyone just DPS and at that they can't DPS with them very good, well most of them. With so many DKs, you'd think you could get a group quicker.

xabre

Banned
ZombieSupaStar said:

In the past you would get better gear for the sake of progression. There was a point when in came to getting better gear and that was experiencing new content. Now you can progress to the same new content by putting in a quarter of the effort with 10 mans making 25 man gear redundant.

Chris R

VaLiancY said:
Really good at holding AoE threat. I think everyone just DPS and at that they can't DPS with them very good, well most of them. With so many DKs, you'd think you could get a group quicker.
Guess I'll spend this next week or two getting my DK to 80 then to tank.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
xabre said:
In the past you would get better gear for the sake of progression. There was a point when in came to getting better gear and that was experiencing new content. Now you can progress to the same new content by putting in a quarter of the effort with 10 mans making 25 man gear redundant.
Yeah it definitely speeds up the gearing process because once you can run 25mans, you can also run the 10 man that week.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
firex said:
stupid question time, I suppose: are elemental shamans good in pvp still?
From when I was fiddling around with the class, it's really situational. Given the chance you can rip apart classes within a few seconds with just a few spells, but once you get caught you may as well try and go out with a blast.

firex

speedpop said:
From when I was fiddling around with the class, it's really situational. Given the chance you can rip apart classes within a few seconds with just a few spells, but once you get caught you may as well try and go out with a blast.
I finally found a good talent build/breakdown on EJ and decided to go elemental. I haven't tried any pvp yet (I should really do some 70 AV) but it's pretty fun so far just for soloing. Better than it was in 3.0.2 and I don't think I really want to be enhance anyway. Blizzard's going to focus on buffing elemental, and I mainly don't really care about enhance because I don't think I've liked any melee more than when my pally was ret. and at this point it's either play my shaman or play my hunter, because I'm finding even when I like a DK spec for a bit, I get bored of the class pretty fast, and those two are still sort of interesting to me.

xabre

Banned
If they have to insist on having nub versions of everything and completely eliminating any sort of 'epic boss encounter' feeling the game might have once had then they might as well do something with the old lvl60 instances which are just sitting there unused. Retune the likes of AQ20, ZG etc for lvl 80 five mans, and MC, BWL, AQ40 etc for lvl 80 ten mans. Give appropriate lvl 80 wolk rewards. Agree? Or are you lot going to rubbish another one of my ideas?

xabre said:
You would have a point if raiding wasn't completely broken as a scaling concept. They should have axed the completely arbitrary x5 raiding system. It makes no sense and doesn't scale at all. Not to mention even if the idea was sound (It isn't, claiming 10 mans take any meaningful fraction of "effort"/skill/patience that 25s is silly) WotLK was obviously rushed and they simply didn't have the stuff in place that would have made it not asstastic (Spec Swap, true hybrid gear homogenization, a sane group buff system).

xabre said:
If they have to insist on having nub versions of everything and completely eliminating any sort of 'epic boss encounter' feeling the game might have once had then they might as well do something with the old lvl60 instances which are just sitting there unused. Retune the likes of AQ20, ZG etc for lvl 80 five mans, and MC, BWL, AQ40 etc for lvl 80 ten mans. Give appropriate lvl 80 wolk rewards. Agree? Or are you lot going to rubbish another one of my ideas?

Your ideas get rubbished because they are rubbish. Your point of view is retarded, elitist crap. Who cares if something can get pugged? That has NOTHING to do with how epic something feels. What, you liked the old way of doing things? Pre 3.0, how many people saw Illidan? Archi? Fuck, how many people saw Kil'Jaeden? Even if 100 guilds got Kil'Jaeden down that's only 2500 people. Fuck, lets make it 1000 guilds. That's only 25,000 people out of 11.5 million subscriptions. That is just plain dumb.

Naxx was undertuned, but that's because even Kara (at the start) was too big a hurdle for many to get to. And for non DPS, it was. If you were a tank (let's forget alts with gold and stuff) you had to farm the shit out of stuff to get gear, whether it was farm gold to buy BOEs, profession yourself up, or 5 man gear... that's just to get to heroics. Then up to Kara.

Now it's a lot easier. Blizzard have said a lot of times ulduar will be less noob friendly. And even then, it will have hard modes on many of the bosses, including an optional, hard mode only boss.

Look at the difference between Kara and ZA for example. Both ten mans. Pre 3.0 but post many of the patches that nerfed them, Kara was pugged all the time and done fine. ZA was not really puggable on many servers. You had to know the fights a lot more than a PUG will allow mostly, and gearwise it was a bitch on tanks and healers, especially when you get to Hex lord. And that's not even timed. So Ulduar could easily be harder. If that's still not hard enough go do 25 man Ulduar, and when Arthas comes, do that too. Pretend there isn't a 10 man version.

The thing that also makes your view just so stupid is that you say Pug like it's a bad thing that in an MMO you might be able to just jump into a group and be able to complete a section of the game. God forbid some of us have study and jobs and social activities that make us unable to commit to raid times in a guild, and have to pug to do content we want to... either way though, you say PUG like it's just a bunch of people wandering into an instance and mashing their way to victory. OK, you'll get some 600dps rogues that do this. Kick them from the group. Check armories. Talk a little. Start your own group and screen them. You really think that dickhead is going to see Arthas in any form? I highly doubt it. We've kicked DPS and healers from 10 man naxxes for being that terrible, and any group who doesn't will have serious trouble completing it anyway.

Mostly PUGS are people who know the fights now though. Everyone has had ample time to see the raids, Naxx was extensively tested on Beta and a lot of people who want to do Naxx know about wowhead and wowikki. And/OR did Naxx 40 back in the day or while retro raiding. I never did Naxx back in the day but I sure as shit looked up the bosses and wrote down a few things I'd need to know about each one before I pugged so I'd be in the know.

So when you say pugged, I mean... it's pugged by people who know what they are doing. It's not pugged like a 5 man where you can throw yourself at a boss and win no matter what. 10 people who don't know naxx? I'd say it'd be a 12 hour clear easily, if people actually stayed.

Anyway I don't even know why I'm arguing this point. You're just obviously so elitist it doesn't matter. You probably raged against 40 mans going to 25 and even if you didn't you agree with the sentiment. More numbers does not = better, just different. You can't really pug a 25 man just because of numbers, thus for a majority of players 10 mans are fine. You're the type of person to get their panties in a twist over other people seeing content that you feel only the elite are entitled to. I'm not saying you should be able to solo arthas, or zerg past his abilities, but give everyone a fair chance to see the content.

Fuck, I don't see how it took this long for blizz to notice. I mean I play a lot of WoW, but my job means I work random hours every week, changing shifts. I can't raid. Out of all the raids, I only saw MC/Ony, ZG, AQ20 once and not all of it, Kara/Mag/Gruul and ZA and that's it. I'm missing all of Tier 2 raiding, Tier 3 raiding, half of tier 2.5 or whatever AQ was, all of T5 and all of t6. Meanwhile I've been able to pug all t7 content so far so I'm happy I get to see more of what I'm paying for anyway :)

Again- Just pretend that others can't do 10 Man Arthas if it makes you feel better, you'll still have your shiny 25 man purpz to jizz over when it's all said and done

xabre

Banned
teacupcopter said:
Your ideas get rubbished because they are rubbish. Your point of view is retarded, elitist crap.

I can almost see the steam coming out of your ears in fury. You sound very angry. Fuck don't have an aneurysm over there.

Who cares if something can get pugged? That has NOTHING to do with how epic something feels.

The level of difficulty, the number of players, the necessity of strategy to be victorious. That is what is epic. Pugs have nothing to do with 'epicness' this is true, neither do 10 man hack jobs of 25 man raid instances.

What, you liked the old way of doing things? Pre 3.0, how many people saw Illidan? Archi? Fuck, how many people saw Kil'Jaeden? Even if 100 guilds got Kil'Jaeden down that's only 2500 people. Fuck, lets make it 1000 guilds. That's only 25,000 people out of 11.5 million subscriptions. That is just plain dumb.

And how many will ultimately end up seeing the Lich King considering they have to progress and gear up through 10 man naxx then 10 man ulduar then the 10 man 3.2 raid instance then all of 10 man ice crown citidel? You're carrying on about numbers as though a significant portion of subscribers will get to see the Lich King as a result of bringing in 10 man versions of everything. They wont.

Now it's a lot easier. Blizzard have said a lot of times ulduar will be less noob friendly. And even then, it will have hard modes on many of the bosses, including an optional, hard mode only boss.

Yep, a million versions and variations of the same thing. Instead of messing around with all that bullshit, give casuals a separate 10 man wing of the 25 man raid instance. 10 man and 25 man content should be different. I don't see what is so difficult or controversial about that.

I'm not bothering with the rest of your essay since it's the usual ramble about elitism. I barely stepped foot inside MC, ZG and AQ20, have never even seen BWL and never went into the original lvl60 Naxx. Only saw Onyxia and AQ40 for the first time recently at lvl80. Have never been in BT, Kara or Sunwell. The best I ever managed in vanilla WoW was a couple purples from ZG and tier 0.5 stuff. I got nowhere in BC. In the space of a month playing Wolk I'm decked out in t7 and t7.5 stuff. You know those that say this game is too easy now, they're completely right. Instances aren't the only thing that's been devalued, epics now flow like cheap wine, every man and his dog has one.

You can shove your elitist charge right up your arse. I never once bitched and whined at the effort required to get into those raids in vanilla and BC. I always saw it that if I wanted to get there I had to put the time, effort and energy into doing so, just like anything else in life. The people who did got the reward, the people who didn't got nothing. Very simple. Now apparently everything on offer has to be served up on a silver platter to everyone because people 'don't have the time'.

Of course, there's never been a shortage of guilds that cater to casual players in WoW and even a full 10 man naxx clear isn't exactly favourable to a casual with little time on their hands anyway. But I understand the time issue and I understand that casuals certainly deserve to progress as well. I believe Blizzard should accommodate for this with content tailored for their needs. But don't tell me that those who take the time and effort to prepare for 25 man content should be treated with exactly the same content as those who can get by logging in a few hours a week. I think that's bullshit. And having a cheap and easy copy of a tough 25 man instance is also bullshit, take thaddius in naxx, great challenge in 25 man, a joke in 10 man. Devalued. To think the Lich King will be a similar joke one day kind of turns me off the whole thing tbh.

CassSept

Again- Just pretend that others can't do 10 Man Arthas if it makes you feel better, you'll still have your shiny 25 man purpz to jizz over when it's all said and done
This point of view is simply retarded. It's not about jizzing over purples, it's about satisfaction that came from killing bosses in late TBC.

SWP was by far best raid instance in whole game - there weren't many bosses there, but they were hard, balanced, every single one offered something different (well except for Brutallus, but this fight was awesome for it's own reasons), and finally killing bosses after perfecting tactic was SATISFYING. After 3.0 when we finally killed M'uru we weren't happy that we will see KJ, it was more of a disappointment with what happened to SWP.
With current content it's the same. If you can progress whole content in two raiding nights it doesn't mean it's balanced well - it means it's pathetic easy, and this is complaint most raiders have right now. I understand they wanted to make it more open, but they have went way too far.

Cipherr

xabre said:
I'm not bothering with the rest of your essay since it's the usual ramble about elitism. I barely stepped foot inside MC, ZG and AQ20, have never even seen BWL and never went into the original lvl60 Naxx. Only saw Onyxia and AQ40 for the first time recently at lvl80. Have never been in BT, Kara or Sunwell.

What the fuck? So you haven't been raiding since release yet your here talking about the "good ol days?" and how its needs to go back to something similar? :lol

You know......dude your not worth the keystrokes, and your opinion is worthless anyway because Blizzard has learned their lesson and has made it clear that the bullshit of Vanilla WoW raiding is never coming back. So the only one shedding tears here is you. The game has moved on, don't like it? Quit. I hear that FF MMO has loooooads of stuff that might interest you.

speedpop

firex said:
I finally found a good talent build/breakdown on EJ and decided to go elemental. I haven't tried any pvp yet (I should really do some 70 AV) but it's pretty fun so far just for soloing. Better than it was in 3.0.2 and I don't think I really want to be enhance anyway. Blizzard's going to focus on buffing elemental, and I mainly don't really care about enhance because I don't think I've liked any melee more than when my pally was ret. and at this point it's either play my shaman or play my hunter, because I'm finding even when I like a DK spec for a bit, I get bored of the class pretty fast, and those two are still sort of interesting to me.
Yeah from what I've taken into comments from Blizzard they are ditching the failed "Shaman = hybrid = can never be good at any of the builds", the same mantra that followed all of the other hybrids but Shaman copped it the worst for some reason. Elemental can really pump out the damage, and given the right chance so can Enhancement. Angry Grimace was complaining that Blizzard can't stop tinkering with its classes but honestly I don't give a shit about when the next PVE raid is pumped through the game. I say continue with the fixes because the game face changes all the time and there's only certain ways to keep my subscription up.

teacupcopter said:
Your ideas get rubbished because they are rubbish. Your point of view is retarded, elitist crap. Who cares if something can get pugged? That has NOTHING to do with how epic something feels. What, you liked the old way of doing things? Pre 3.0, how many people saw Illidan? Archi? Fuck, how many people saw Kil'Jaeden? Even if 100 guilds got Kil'Jaeden down that's only 2500 people. Fuck, lets make it 1000 guilds. That's only 25,000 people out of 11.5 million subscriptions. That is just plain dumb.

Naxx was undertuned, but that's because even Kara (at the start) was too big a hurdle for many to get to. And for non DPS, it was. If you were a tank (let's forget alts with gold and stuff) you had to farm the shit out of stuff to get gear, whether it was farm gold to buy BOEs, profession yourself up, or 5 man gear... that's just to get to heroics. Then up to Kara.

Look at the difference between Kara and ZA for example. Both ten mans. Pre 3.0 but post many of the patches that nerfed them, Kara was pugged all the time and done fine. ZA was not really puggable on many servers. You had to know the fights a lot more than a PUG will allow mostly, and gearwise it was a bitch on tanks and healers, especially when you get to Hex lord. And that's not even timed. So Ulduar could easily be harder. If that's still not hard enough go do 25 man Ulduar, and when Arthas comes, do that too. Pretend there isn't a 10 man version.

The thing that also makes your view just so stupid is that you say Pug like it's a bad thing that in an MMO you might be able to just jump into a group and be able to complete a section of the game. God forbid some of us have study and jobs and social activities that make us unable to commit to raid times in a guild, and have to pug to do content we want to... either way though, you say PUG like it's just a bunch of people wandering into an instance and mashing their way to victory. OK, you'll get some 600dps rogues that do this. Kick them from the group. Check armories. Talk a little. Start your own group and screen them. You really think that dickhead is going to see Arthas in any form? I highly doubt it. We've kicked DPS and healers from 10 man naxxes for being that terrible, and any group who doesn't will have serious trouble completing it anyway.

Mostly PUGS are people who know the fights now though. Everyone has had ample time to see the raids, Naxx was extensively tested on Beta and a lot of people who want to do Naxx know about wowhead and wowikki. And/OR did Naxx 40 back in the day or while retro raiding. I never did Naxx back in the day but I sure as shit looked up the bosses and wrote down a few things I'd need to know about each one before I pugged so I'd be in the know.

So when you say pugged, I mean... it's pugged by people who know what they are doing. It's not pugged like a 5 man where you can throw yourself at a boss and win no matter what. 10 people who don't know naxx? I'd say it'd be a 12 hour clear easily, if people actually stayed.

Anyway I don't even know why I'm arguing this point. You're just obviously so elitist it doesn't matter. You probably raged against 40 mans going to 25 and even if you didn't you agree with the sentiment. More numbers does not = better, just different. You can't really pug a 25 man just because of numbers, thus for a majority of players 10 mans are fine. You're the type of person to get their panties in a twist over other people seeing content that you feel only the elite are entitled to. I'm not saying you should be able to solo arthas, or zerg past his abilities, but give everyone a fair chance to see the content.

Fuck, I don't see how it took this long for blizz to notice. I mean I play a lot of WoW, but my job means I work random hours every week, changing shifts. I can't raid. Out of all the raids, I only saw MC/Ony, ZG, AQ20 once and not all of it, Kara/Mag/Gruul and ZA and that's it. I'm missing all of Tier 2 raiding, Tier 3 raiding, half of tier 2.5 or whatever AQ was, all of T5 and all of t6. Meanwhile I've been able to pug all t7 content so far so I'm happy I get to see more of what I'm paying for anyway :)

"DON' TAKE DAT ITZ MINE CUZ I AM PAYING MAH 15 MONIES" Populist clap-trap and entitlement.

Cipherr

speedpop said:
Yeah from what I've taken into comments from Blizzard they are ditching the failed "Shaman = hybrid = can never be good at any of the builds", the same mantra that followed all of the other hybrids but Shaman copped it the worst for some reason. Elemental can really pump out the damage, and given the right chance so can Enhancement. Angry Grimace was complaining that Blizzard can't stop tinkering with its classes but honestly I don't give a shit about when the next PVE raid is pumped through the game. I say continue with the fixes because the game face changes all the time and there's only certain ways to keep my subscription up.

Yeah I feel there is a positive side to all the tinkering which is why Ive kind of let up on complaining about my spec and playstyle changing every week for PvE. Before they would do massive sweeping changes to classes and talents and after that review it would be moooooonths before a new review was done. So basically if something or a class was broken in the review, it would remain broken for damn near a whole expansion.

They said they are changing more frequently now to resolve that issue where a class and a spec could suck for the length of an expansion.

SatelliteOfLove said:
"DON' TAKE DAT ITZ MINE CUZ I AM PAYING MAH 15 MONIES" Populist clap-trap and entitlement.

The entitlement thing exists on both sides of that particular argument mate. Not sure what you meant by that.

xabre

Banned
Puncture said:
What the fuck? So you haven't been raiding since release yet your here talking about the "good ol days?" and how its needs to go back to something similar? :lol

What the fuck? How does me raiding or not raiding pre-wolk have anything whatsoever to do with the criticisms I raised? You're elitist and you're thick. The attitude you're taking is 'don't dare criticise how things are done now', WoW cheerleader indeed. I believe 10 man and 25 man content should be different, and I know I'm not the only one that has this line of thought. I certainly believe casuals and hardcore raiders are entitled to progression in equal measure and that certainly hasn't happened properly in the past, especially with vanilla WoW.

But as the other poster said, they've gone too far in the opposite direction, and catered too much to the casual side. Ah fuck, why am I bothered explaining things to you for anyway since you have demonstrated reading comprehension issues? I couldn't give a shit if you like my opinion or not.

You know......dude your not worth the keystrokes, and your opinion is worthless

Then don't reply.

firex

I just don't care because I remember vanilla WoW's fucking terrible 40 man raids. I'd rather have easy raids that are clearable in a few days/nights of attempts and puggable than raids that require a guild and months upon months of "perfecting" copying the strategy from wowwiki that someone else comes up with from poopsocking on the PTR. And I still prefer "easier" raid content because if I'm going to play a healer/tank I don't want to have to be retarded overgeared like I did just for heroics in TBC.

I mean I can understand really hardcore raiders complaining about stuff getting easier each expansion, just because they might raid for the challenge, but in all honesty hardcore raiders aren't the target audience of WoW anymore. The game is about letting people see as much content as they can without it being months of being cockblocked on bugged fights or fights that require perfection from every single raid member.

And this also means 10 man raiders don't wind up getting lesser content, just lesser loot. It'd be fucking stupid to miss out on Arthas, the boss of the entire expansion, just because you can't/don't want to join a 25 man raiding guild and work your way through all that asperger social networking for a chance at seeing the cool bosses. I'm sorry, but it was dumb as hell for Blizzard to stick all the cool lore fights in places only the people who raided constantly would see. Plus it's not like the Lich King is going to actually be defeated by either size raid: what will happen is you'll maybe weaken him and then Tirion Fordring and Darion Mograine (and nobody from the horde despite the Lich King being one of the most evil horde villains in the Warcraft games, and someone they'd want to finish off) will pop up out of nowhere to actually battle him/kill him/subdue him.

firex

speedpop said:
I'm really hoping they finally do this and make it worthwhile. Enhance is pretty good as a dps build right now, but not perfect (mainly due to gearing up for it being tough as hell compared to other melee) but they need to make ele/enh into more viable trees, especially for 5 man/10 man content imo. They bring something substantial to any group/raid, but not much on the 5/10 man side when you exclude bloodlust (because there will probably be a resto in the raid who also has it). all the upcoming potential changes look really good for shamans, too, so I hope a lot of it happens. I still think they're one of the classes with a lot of bullshit filler abilities that need to be combined/done away with, which it looks like Blizzard is finally doing, at least with the really stupid "do I drop this situational totem or this situational totem?" crap in the spellbook. Now if they can just give us a change so totems can move with us, or make them cost way less to drop so having to re-drop them won't be such a pain, I'd be really happy.

Cipherr

firex said:
but in all honesty hardcore raiders aren't the target audience of WoW anymore. The game is about letting people see as much content as they can without it being months of being cockblocked on bugged fights or fights that require perfection from every single raid member.

This, and thats why Ive decided its just not worth even arguing over. The 40 man 6 night raid weeks (4+ hours a night to get server first BWL clears/kills etc) were ridiculous and only experienced by a small portion of the players. It was bad business to spend so much time developing that content and only a few of us got to experience it. They realized this and made changes, and now with their announcement of adding even more "hard modes" to the already promised more difficult Ulduar I couldnt be any more happy about the way things are going end game PvE. Thats exactly what we need, more encounters that more people (not everyone but tons more people at least) can take part in, with an added "3 drake" challenge on MULTIPLE MULTIPLE bosses for those guilds built around hardcore raiding.

I love the design and think its genius. It fits perfectly into what the game has been from the day they opened the beta. Accessible while still providing something for the hardcore (With the exception of the piss poor PvP). People complaining about this expansions equivalent of Karazahn being to easy are missing the point. Naxx is not serious business. And your not going to lose a piece of your soul just because other people are enjoying the game either. If all you play for is the first kill on the PvE content then your not only playing the wrong game, but your in the wrong genre.

CassSept

firex said:
and nobody from the horde despite the Lich King being one of the most evil horde villains in the Warcraft games, and someone they'd want to finish off
First, I don't think many people know that Ner'zhul is actually the Lich King
Second, Ner'zhul wasn't really evil. While he was deceived by Kil'jaeden, after he learned the truth he tried to stop demonic influence on orcs, but then Gul'dan stepped out and just went on with corruption of the orcs.
And act of him becoming the Lich King was because he was afraid to die, and Kil'jaeden gave him option of redeeming himself (unlike most of big bad guys, he actually gives all his servants another opportunities after they fail to fulfill his orders)

Anyway, I don't get what's most people's problem with content actually being hard. Another part, ZA was too hard because people had to actually know anything about the fights.... seriously? I remember first time I went there it seemed impossible, but it's because it was another step in gear progression, and you had to actually have any skill to attempt it. But it looked fun as it was a challenge, not another reason to "wah wah go write posts and tickets and whine about difficulty" which has brought us to current state of things (which isn't much different as pug won't kill thaddius because it's a retard check... im wondering why they havent nerfed it yet!).

firex

CassSept said:
First, I don't think many people know that Ner'zhul is actually the Lich King
Second, Ner'zhul wasn't really evil. While he was deceived by Kil'jaeden, after he learned the truth he tried to stop demonic influence on orcs, but then Gul'dan stepped out and just went on with corruption of the orcs.
And act of him becoming the Lich King was because he was afraid to die, and Kil'jaeden gave him option of redeeming himself (unlike most of big bad guys, he actually gives all his servants another opportunities after they fail to fulfill his orders)
I still think the horde would want to finish him off. The orcs, at least. Mainly because he's still a symbol of all the evil the orcs used to be controlled by, and after becoming the Lich King he definitely became pure evil. In fact, it could be cool to have the battle involve Tirion, Darion Mograine, Eitrigg, Thrall and Sylvanas similar to the Illidan fight in BT, although I doubt the Lich King will actually die. I feel like if they leave any of those three horde NPCs out of it, then they've fucked it up colossally from a lore standpoint.

edit: more specifically I mean this from a horde raid standpoint. It should seriously present a different event based upon which faction zones in. Alliance can have Jaina and some other important NPCs help, Horde can have Thrall, Sylvanas and Eitrigg.

Finally got going on heroic instances and it's really not as interesting as I expected. I was hoping for a challenge and it just seemed like a zerg fest - I would mark targets, ask mages to sheep for groups of 3+ but regardless people I was running with seemed to have absolutely no concept of focus firing. All they had to do was /assist me and they'd get my target, but apparently that is too difficult for them to press f. Is it true that raids really aren't difficult either? I don't play this game for loot, I play for difficulty and just want a challenge like I had in BWL or Naxx40 but apparently PUGs are beating Naxx?

firex

Naxx is this expansion's MC basically, so don't think of it like the old Naxx. but yes, raiding is easier. It's not meant to be a challenge to clear all the content anymore. What's meant to be a challenge is specific achievements and the "hard mode" stuff like beating Obsidian Sanctum with multiple drakes.

I have 5/8 Nobles cards and won't have enough gold to buy the rest for a few days
Didn't realize that the darkmoon faire ends tomorrow and doesn't come back until march....

I bought some of the cards at relatively cheap prices.......

Do the cards usually skyrocket on the last day of the faire? I wonder if I could re-sell them and make enough gold to buy them again in a few weeks.....

Thoughts?

Hero

The people claiming that having 10 man versions of raid dungeons somehow take away from the "epic" feel because they see the lore and specific lore encounters that they do in 25 man versions are retarded. Do you want the game to die? Because here's the thing: Hardcore raiders make up a small, small, small portion of the game's population. If things continued like they did people would only subscribe until they hit the level cap. If they couldn't dedicate their lives to raiding then they would have nothing else to do and just quit the game shortly after. It's not good business.

At some point the userbase would dwindle to a pathetic amount. I mean honestly why would the casuals care to pick up the expansions if they never got to see Illidan or Arthas?

Kyoufu

I stopped playing DK (77) and rolled Priest (Shadow lol) for a few reasons:

1. I feel like I'm wearing woolen attire when playing DK. Everybody is one.

2. Its too fucking easy. I can tank, dps and kill other plays in PvP battlegrounds with my eyes closed.

3. Read above. I like the challenge of being a priest. I get facerolled alot but when I do kill other plays I know I did it through skill and not rolling my face on my keyboard.

Hopefully they buff Priest survivability. Its such a joke atm, and the upcoming snare removal on Dispersion is just a bigger joke.

J-Rzez

rhfb said:
How viable are DK tanks? Sucks always LF Tank, where I could just already always have a group.

I tank with mine, he's my guild's MT. I've tanked everything but Maly so far, no issues on threat or anything. Plus, you put out a decent amount of DPS at the same time. The only thing is that some healers can't adapt, and get freaked out why you take a little damage off the bat, then none, then get blasted 2 or 3 times if unlucky, then nothing... All while pending on the spec tank you are, your HP refills itself a bit of the time, and your max HP jumps up 3-4k hp all of a sudden to give them a buffer, and rune taps... then you summon a ghoul and sacrifice it for 40% of your max HP if things go really bad. Then there's mark of blood... lol.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
I bet less people would play DK if they would let you roll other alts at 55. It's not like anybody plays with new players in the lowbie zones anymore anyway. I really don't understand why one class should get a special "get out of grinding free" pass.

Spruchy

Zek said:
I bet less people would play DK if they would let you roll other alts at 55. It's not like anybody plays with new players in the lowbie zones anymore anyway. I really don't understand why one class should get a special "get out of grinding free" pass.

Bet in 6 months from now we'll see this happening.

Zek said:

I thought that's what part of being a heroic class was

Cipherr

SatelliteOfLove said:
Admiting it is the first step to absolving yourself from the anger that comes from envy.

Your being intentionally vague, I havent a clue what the hell your trying to get at. Feel free to drop the 'Zen' and say whats on your mind.

Hero said:
The people claiming that having 10 man versions of raid dungeons somehow take away from the "epic" feel because they see the lore and specific lore encounters that they do in 25 man versions are retarded. Do you want the game to die? Because here's the thing: Hardcore raiders make up a small, small, small portion of the game's population. If things continued like they did people would only subscribe until they hit the level cap. If they couldn't dedicate their lives to raiding then they would have nothing else to do and just quit the game shortly after. It's not good business.

At some point the userbase would dwindle to a pathetic amount. I mean honestly why would the casuals care to pick up the expansions if they never got to see Illidan or Arthas?

Its not just here though, that type of person exists in all forms of gaming, the type seemingly oblivious to the fact that its the casuals that are really carrying the game. WoW needed to open up the raiding badly. With so much of Blizzards dev time going into the end game PvE content its just ridiculous for the casuals to not be able to experience it at all. It wouldn't be sustainable in the end just catering to the top percentile. That plus I dont understand at all why everything feels less epic. Not even in the least. Killing a boss is killing a boss, no matter how many other people see him/it dead.

The server firsts are the only thing that really matter in that case. Besides I don't think even a 40 man Arthas fight would feel as 'epic' as it should considering the lore. Hell the very idea of us killing Illidan like that left a bad taste in my mouth. But the RTS != the MMO. Another thing that grates me is the pre-emptiveness of all of this. Ulduar hasn't even gone up for testing yet and people are talking about how easy it will be.

We are never going to get content made developed and tuned specifically for us, and us alone. We are to few in numbers for them to do that and still survive. The fact that we ever did get content like that in vanilla was a freaking fluke.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
xabre said:
And how many will ultimately end up seeing the Lich King considering they have to progress and gear up through 10 man naxx then 10 man ulduar then the 10 man 3.2 raid instance then all of 10 man ice crown citidel? You're carrying on about numbers as though a significant portion of subscribers will get to see the Lich King as a result of bringing in 10 man versions of everything. They wont.
I'll have to argue that one a bit.

Speaking as one of those people who was never in a big guild, so never got to see any serious raiding content, I am, and will be, seeing much much more since these types of changes started.

So will a TON of people I know.

I can see how it ruins the challenge for big guilds and large raids, I really can. I wish Blizz could cater to all styles of player. The first few years the heavy playing large guild crowds got to see all the top content, all teh top PVE gear. While the casuals enyoyed 5 mans, quests, rep rewards, heroics, and the occasional tag along to a "farmed" raid.

Now the content is streamlined enough that you can actually see yourself going there someday where before you just would right it off as "beyond your means".

My point is, this new way of thinking for Blizz lets people like me have a hope of seeing content I never would have seen before. Sure it is still a hard thing to do, but it is attainable, where before it was not.

etiolate

Banned
xabre said:
The level of difficulty, the number of players, the necessity of strategy to be victorious. That is what is epic.

No, that is just what eats up time. Deadmines was epic, and it was only a 5 man beginner dungeon. The fact you crawl down through a mine cave, discover a goblin work area full of tiny robots and then make your way through a blasted down door to discover a hidden Goonies-esque pirate ship bay is epic.

Being in Zul Furrak at the top of the stairs and looking down at legions of mobs running up the stairs to kill you is epic.

Attuning, potting, gathering up 40 people and aligning them into correct groups, farming whole other sets of gear just for resist, assigning this and that, rotating here and there, only class X for X, etc. That is a joyless job. That is time investment over time quality.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Honestly if anything I think huge 25-40 man instances are less epic. Having a swarm of guildmates filling the rooms and chattering on Vent will kill the atmosphere of any dungeon real fast. Coordinating that many people is certainly more challenging, but not in a fun way for most people. It just doesn't make business sense to spend time developing content that will be played by only a tiny fraction of your playerbase, and I will never understand why MMO devs do it.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
funkmastergeneral said:
I thought that's what part of being a heroic class was
It's more that a hero class is one that can't be played without leveling another class first. I think that's silly too but they could still leave it that way even if the high starting level was a universal perk of leveling up.

speedpop

Level 55 alts off the bat would please this old soul. I've got alts of every single class, even a 2nd Shaman, but they're all stuck at level 30. Granted most of this was done way before they fixed the leveling system with experience boosting, items being fixed, and even obtaining mounts earlier. I just don't feel like going through the hell that was 30-60.

Then again the reason why DKs are created at 55 is so they can do their level-up process to 58 and gear up - something that can be done in under 2 hours. I'd say if they are going to boost character creation levels, they'll probably try to aim at 58-60 just so you can waltz into Outland off the bat and gear up.

Puncture said:
Your being intentionally vague, I havent a clue what the hell your trying to get at. Feel free to drop the 'Zen' and say whats on your mind.

Raw, naked Envy.

Name-calling.

Fostering an active disrespect for other segments of the WoW population.

Steadily and actively desiring more and more changes as one's condition to keep playing someone's game, as if NOT PLAYING FOR A WHILE AT LEAST had never crossed their minds.

Confusing "accessable" with "tuned to the LCD".

It's unhealthy. It's ugly. And I'm seeing it more and more from people, using it at people who used to do it in the past, and they RELISH IT, like a hard-won spoil of war. They have become The Elitists themselves. Change some nouns out, and it's freakin' Death and Taxes circa '06, with XI bitching about C'thun or the 40 -> 25 man change. And it happens EVERY TIME this topic of raid size or difficulty gets brought up, no matter how elitist/dumb/rational/a blatant troll the intent of the counter-thought. And it's getting worse.

I used to fear that T8 stuff would be tuned low so anyone could get in, meaning everyone (yes, even small 15 man guilds doing the 10 man version) blow thru it cuz they've blown thru T7 like a tornado and are armed to the teeth, but I now predict that if it is harder, and there alot of gear/awareness/coordination/multi-phasedness we'll get very angry people pulled off the teet of ease to look forward to.

Cipherr

SatelliteOfLove said:

Raw, naked Envy.

Name-calling.

Fostering an active disrespect for other segments of the WoW population.

Steadily and actively desiring more and more changes as one's condition to keep playing someone's game, as if NOT PLAYING FOR A WHILE AT LEAST had never crossed their minds.

Confusing "accessable" with "tuned to the LCD".

It's unhealthy. It's ugly. And I'm seeing it more and more from people, using it at people who used to do it in the past, and they RELISH IT, like a hard-won spoil of war. They have become The Elitists themselves. Change some nouns out, and it's freakin' Death and Taxes circa '06, with XI bitching about C'thun or the 40 -> 25 man change. And it happens EVERY TIME this topic of raid size or difficulty gets brought up, no matter how elitist/dumb/rational/a blatant troll the intent of the counter-thought. And it's getting worse.

I used to fear that T8 stuff would be tuned low so anyone could get in, meaning everyone (yes, even small 15 man guilds doing the 10 man version) blow thru it cuz they've blown thru T7 like a tornado and are armed to the teeth, but I now predict that if it is harder, and there alot of gear/awareness/coordination/multi-phasedness we'll get very angry people pulled off the teet of ease to look forward to.

Err.....

Ok.

Anyways I completely missed this:
Malygos - Feign Death not working is "intended"
Feign death not working is actually intentional, but certainly not desired. It was causing a very nasty problem, and we've been trying to figure out a way to handle the particular boundary case without setting the creature flag that ignores feign death.

Jesus Christ :lol Ive been pushing through our Maly night resorting to auto shotting and sometimes not attacking at all, ending the fight with damage dealt thats pathetic with the thought in my head that it would be fixed soon because its just an accidental bug. But apparently its linked to something quite a bit larger than that and thus I probably shouldn't expect a fix nearly as soon. Makes me want to pull my freaking hair out.

Magnus

From a pve healing perspective

Epix said:
PRIEST

* Divine Spirit – this spell is now a core ability available to all priests.
Awesome.
* Discipline has access to a new talent, Power Word: Barrier. (Think of it as Power Word: Shield for your whole group).
Awesome.
* Several area of effect (AOE) heal spells have been improved: Prayer of Healing can be cast on any groups in your raid party. Holy Nova’s mana cost has been reduced. Circle of Healing now heals for more.
Unbelievable, never-in-a-million-years awesome.
* Shadow priest PvP survivability has been improved: Shadow Form now reduces magic as well as physical damage. Dispersion now removes snares.
* Penance – this spell can now be targeted on the priest.
About time (aka awesome)
* Serendipity – this talent now reduces the cast time of Greater Heal and Prayer of Healing when Binding Heal or Flash Heal are cast.
Awesome.
* We are also working to give Holy additional PvP utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom