• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
SnakeswithLasers said:
Also, everyone wish me luck. I'm giving up WoW for Lent--so I hope 3.1 is delayed for 6 weeks. =P

Dude 6 weeks from now is the EARLIEST 3.1 would go live.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
GDJustin said:
1228322452.jpg
There was an easy way to do this up until pretty recently. Basically guaranteed you Old Crafty within 5 casts.

I had extreme luck on Old Ironjaw personally, getting it within 25 casts. I immediately went to Org and started going for Old Crafty, but it's horrendously boring and I gave up after a few hundred casts.

RNG is a bitch.

EDIT: Hearthstone CD will be 30 minutes long when 3.1 goes live, according to Eyonix. This goes perfectly with the removal of ghetto hearthing. RIP ghetto hearthing, and RIP the old hearthstone.

border

If they would just put a god-damned auction house in Dalaran, people wouldn't be ghetto-hearthing all over the place. It sucks balls that if you need a few crafting mats you should have to blow a 1-hour cooldown. It sucks for leveling professions too since you have to go back to Dalaran to learn new recipes after you've bought mats.

So what happens if you are in a dungeon and you get dropped from a group? What happens if you use the "unstick" function?

flsh

Banned
How about asking a mage to do make you a portal? You can make the gold back quite fast.
Also a guide telling you how to level will tell you how much to buy and when, so use one and you won't have to pay a mage so much. Or, do it as you are about to stop playing the game?

A hearthstone is the least of this game's problems.

border

Most profession guides push recipes until they are yellow or green, so you can run short on mats when a yellow/green recipe doesn't level you. Plus you're also blowing that hearth cooldown anytime you need a new piece of gear to be gemmed or enchanted. Or anytime you want to buy pots/flasks for a raid.

Having to hunt down a mage and pay him for a portal is just irritating. I never did it because it's easier just to ask for a group invite and run into Ragefire Chasm. 90% of the ghetto hearth abuse could have just been sidestepped by putting a portal to Dalaran in the major cities (have it require some BoP reagent that only level 80's can get).

They claim they want the major cities of old Azeroth to remain populated -- well perhaps they'd be more populated if you didn't have to think about your hearth cooldown everytime you went to one of them.

Won

LAUGHTREY said:
Heroic/Glory of the Raider Achievement Mounts to be removed.

Stupid I think. I don't give a crap about supposed hardcore people, I've done a good amount of those achievements and now it will be for naught. Why do the hardcore people get the best rewards and then they're somehow justified because they're a small %?

That....doesn't even make sense. Well for Blizzard it probably does, but still....don't see the point. Shouldn't new rewards be enough to satisfy the hardcore raiders?

border said:
They claim they want the major cities of old Azeroth to remain populated -- well perhaps they'd be more populated if you didn't have to think about your hearth cooldown everytime you went to one of them.

Sadly it doesn't work that way. If you add things like the AH to Dalaran, all the major cities would be dead like Shattrath and that is not a good thing.

Won

Honestly...I can't even remember the last time I used the hearthstone. This game has soooo many teleport and fast travel options by now, even without ungrouping in a dungeon......

Also not sure if portals to Dalaran would work. I guess Blizz wants to play it safe on the city population issue.

border

Won said:
Honestly...I can't even remember the last time I used the hearthstone. This game has soooo many teleport and fast travel options by now, even without ungrouping in a dungeon......
I use my hearthstone everytime I do the Wyrmrest dailies out in Coldarra. It's like a 5 minute flight from Dalaran to Transitus Shield that you get to skip. Then I use it again after finishing a the Ebon Blade dailies deep in northwest Icecrown.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
border said:
I use my hearthstone everytime I do the Wyrmrest dailies out in Coldarra. It's like a 5 minute flight from Dalaran to Transitus Shield that you get to skip. Then I use it again after finishing a the Ebon Blade dailies deep in northwest Icecrown.
How much gold do you average from doing those dailys?

TomServo

border said:
Which is why you'd put a portal to Dalaran in the Azeroth cities, rather than move the AH to Dalaran.

I dunno, I'd personally rather see an AH in Dalaran.

Actually, two AH's. Give each faction access to their AH in the faction-restricted parts of Dalaran, and then give us the neutral AH in a common area.

The best way to handle the current setup isn't portals and hearthing, it's a bank / AH alt. My level 58 DK picked up that duty once I finished the starter quests. Along with the guild vault, he exists for the purpose of running back and forth from the mailbox to the AH.

vumpler said:

He's probably doing them for rep, not money. The Ebon Blade dailies can get you some decent money from all of the cloth that drops (granted I'm a tailor, not sure how much less a non-tailor would get).

border

vumpler said:
Probably 40g from the Ebon Blade ones (haven't opened them all up yet) and 23g from the Wyrmrest dailies in Coldarra. I do the Coldarra ones for rep more than gold though. And because the one where you get to ride a dragon and kill the other dragons is awesome.

My normal daily quest trip is Dalaran -> Coldarra -> Dalaran (HEARTH) -> Wyrmrest Temple -> Argent Strand (Argent Crusade 4-pack that nets probably 40g plus 1000 rep) -> Icecrown (Ebon Blade/Horde Expedition quests)

Kweh

I find the Sons of Hodir dailies are best for money earning, almost 100g a day when you're Reverred or higher, and the quests are all close together so can be done in half hour tops.

Kweh said:
I find the Sons of Hodir dailies are best for money earning, almost 100g a day when you're Reverred or higher, and the quests are all close together so can be done in half hour tops.

I hate that stupid one catching the drake. After failing 4 times I just gave up.

Epix

funkmastergeneral said:
I hate that stupid one catching the drake. After failing 4 times I just gave up.
It's actually very easy once you get the mechanics. The way I do it is I just cast the big attack whenever it's off CD and while I'm waiting for it to come off CD I spam nothing but the "Grab On" attack. You can try and dodge his attack if you want but it's not necessary. In phase 2 just get your stack up to about 15 then spear him.

yacobod

Banned
Epix said:
It's actually very easy once you get the mechanics. The way I do it is I just cast the big attack whenever it's off CD and while I'm waiting for it to come off CD I spam nothing but the "Grab On" attack. You can try and dodge his attack if you want but it's not necessary. In phase 2 just get your stack up to about 15 then spear him.

a stack to 4 is all you need for a win, stacking 15 seems redundant unless you miss 4-5 times in a row

i find the best thing to do is use the big attack on every cd, dodge every drake attack, and try to keep your grip above 70, dodging is useful because you can have bad lucks with the killing blow in phase 2, so you might end up dying

Epix

yacobod said:
a stack to 4 is all you need for a win, stacking 15 seems redundant unless you miss 4-5 times in a row

i find the best thing to do is use the big attack on every cd, dodge every drake attack, and try to keep your grip above 70, dodging is useful because you can have bad lucks with the killing blow in phase 2, so you might end up dying
Sure, a stack of 1 is possible. If I have plenty of health (I always do) I'd rather get the stack up a ways and basically guarantee a hit.

Kyoufu

I'm making anything from 1000-2000 gold a day.

Icecrown and Storm Peaks dailies and a shitload of Relic of Ulduar farming. DEing any greens I get along the way for massive profit.

Just don't know what to spend the gold on! :/

Wrekt

border said:
So what happens if you are in a dungeon and you get dropped from a group? What happens if you use the "unstick" function?
I don't know about unstuck but if you get dropped from a group you get sent to the nearest graveyard.

thatbox

Banned
Xabora said:
Welcome back!
What server are you on.
Burning Legion-US. I quit on January first after my guild had attendance problems over the holidays and we'd already cleared all the content. Resubscribed three days ago and I'm guildless because they transferred to another server while I was gone :(

firex

Dina said:
That still holds true? Ever since JC is one of the best raiding professions, regardless of class or spec, and is easy as shit to lvl, everyone and their grandmother has a JC toon on which they do dailies and undercut (huhu) most gems like shit.

I went from making 300g on [Dragon's Eye] to 135g / 150g. Runed Scarlet Rubies went from 180g to 90g in no time. That blue +26 sta gem? Cut 15g, uncut 5g.

Yeah Vashj-EU economy sucks for crafters.
well, it worked last week. Now, not so much. the scarlet ruby market on Kilrogg-US seems to have crashed. It would cost me more to buy a scarlet ruby off the AH and make it into a bold than it would to just buy someone else's bold scarlet ruby. Runed at least makes a profit, but more like a 10g profit after AH cut.

Tamanon

Banned
Either way, jewelcrafting has crests and troughs. When new patches are announced, the market goes down as people start waiting for the new stuff. When the patch comes out, the market goes up because people need to gem, yo.

Kyoufu

Speaking of JC, has anyone ever gotten BoE JC designs in Northrend? I'm farming in Storm Peaks and have killed thousands of mobs with no luck... :x

Tamanon

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Speaking of JC, has anyone ever gotten BoE JC designs in Northrend? I'm farming in Storm Peaks and have killed thousands of mobs with no luck... :x

There are much fewer BOE ones in Northrend, compared to Outlands. That's why they sell for insane amounts.

Chris R

Kyoufu said:
I got one, sold for a VERY nice chunk of cash :)

Just off a random kill, farming for the drop is pointless. Farm gold instead and buy the ones you want.

Kyoufu

rhfb said:
I got one, sold for a VERY nice chunk of cash :)

Just off a random kill, farming for the drop is pointless. Farm gold instead and buy the ones you want.

I might just do that. I've been grinding mobs that drop Relic of Ulduar/Frostweave/Greens and have made a fuckton of gold out of it but just annoyed that no designs have dropped.

I'm wondering if I'll ever see enough use out of a design bought for 1k gold to justify paying the high price.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
We had a "Design: Sovereign Twilight Opal" drop in Naxxramas 10 the other day. They're worth an awful lot on the AH. Not a JC'er so didn't request a roll obviously.

Xabora

thatbox said:
Burning Legion-US. I quit on January first after my guild had attendance problems over the holidays and we'd already cleared all the content. Resubscribed three days ago and I'm guildless because they transferred to another server while I was gone :(
Cool cool.

Anywho, tonight is the night of nights.
If everything goes good we may end up merging with another guild. :O

Xabora said:
Ah, mergers. My current guild was planning to go through a merger with most of a US-Thaurissan guild. They were looking to drop some of the scrubs that they were carrying through, and we were looking to do the same to finally get S+3 down.

Turns out the first night of raiding we did with some of the leaders of the previous guild set a bad example (yay drama and vent lagging out on Raz) so the leader basically told the others not to transfer over. We took in about 4-5 members from them anyway, and there's definitely an improvement (went from 3rd on DPS on Patch to 10th in 1 week, doing the same DPS both weeks).

But yeah, if people aren't completely immature, mergers are pretty awesome for both parties.

zam

Xabora said:
Cool cool.

Yea, my guild went through the same thing recently. There were a lot of players who were slacking on raids, slacking in raids, just generally low dps for their gear, constantly failing on void zones/fire walls in sarth or just not signing for Sarth 3D wipe raids cause they only wanted to farm Naxx/Malygos for free epics. So the core of my old guild (about 20 players out of 40) merged with another guild with players who used to be in the old guild but left.

Liking the new guild a lot more, lot less slacking, people are showing up on time and with food and flasks, and just a generally higher level of players now.

Lain

Finally downed Maly25 yesterday.
I thought I would never see it dead as things were going. Now, if only I had the neck quest ><

Xabora

Orbitcube said:
Ah, mergers. My current guild was planning to go through a merger with most of a US-Thaurissan guild. They were looking to drop some of the scrubs that they were carrying through, and we were looking to do the same to finally get S+3 down.

Turns out the first night of raiding we did with some of the leaders of the previous guild set a bad example (yay drama and vent lagging out on Raz) so the leader basically told the others not to transfer over. We took in about 4-5 members from them anyway, and there's definitely an improvement (went from 3rd on DPS on Patch to 10th in 1 week, doing the same DPS both weeks).

But yeah, if people aren't completely immature, mergers are pretty awesome for both parties.
That sucks that the leaders weren't too good.
We mesh perfectly with their leaders and their core.

Our First trial raid went pretty good.
Took on Maly 25 and downed him on the 3rd attempt with the server disconnecting us the entire time randomly.

burgerdog

I wonder if the high resolution textures for northrend armor are not active in the PTR. I have a pretty decent rig that can handle raids with max settings at 60fps and I can't notice a difference at all. I'll take screenshots of low/high and see if that makes it more obvious.

Xabora

burgerdog said:
I wonder if the high resolution textures for northrend armor are not active in the PTR. I have a pretty decent rig that can handle raids with max settings at 60fps and I can't notice a difference at all. I'll take screenshots of low/high and see if that makes it more obvious.
I'm downloading the PTR now.
Finally got a free non-raid day to do this.

Epix

BigJonsson said:
Getting back to Dalaran isn't so bad when your hearth is down, just take a boat from SW or Menethil and fly
You can even take off from the boat as soon as it's finished loading Northrend.

Epix

burgerdog said:
What's this about high res textures?

burgerdog

Epix said:
What's this about high res textures?

New high-resolution player textures for Northrend armor sets have been added. Players can enable this feature by setting Player Textures to High in the Effects Panel of the Video Options.
Left: High Resolution Textures, Right: Low
nbvvnp.jpg
33274hw.jpg

It seems like only Death Knight t7 shoulders have the higher res texture available to them and it's on for both low and high setting. I would have taken a screenshot from the front but it looks exactly like it does on live.

VaLiancY

I'm also intrigued by the Ultra video mode for high end systems. WoW and High End still makes me laugh. Make my eat my words, Blizzard.

burgerdog

VaLiancY said:
I'm also intrigued by the Ultra video mode for high end systems. WoW and High End still makes me laugh. Make my eat my words, Blizzard.

Everything is still on high, the only difference is a higher shadow resolution which notches the tab to ultra :lol For example, you can have everything maxed except for shadow res and it'll read as high. Max out the shadow tab and it'll set itself as Ultra.

Hm, definitely seems like they messed up the textures, check out the metallic texture on the human epic horse.

11tyezo.jpg

Xabora

burgerdog said:
Everything is still on high, the only difference is a higher shadow resolution which notches the tab to ultra :lol For example, you can have everything maxed except for shadow res and it'll read as high. Max out the shadow tab and it'll set itself as Ultra.

Hm, definitely seems like they messed up the textures, check out the metallic texture on the human epic horse.

11tyezo.jpg
Its an alpha layering bug.
All polygons with a specular effect with an alpha channel are rendering too dark, however the specular color remains unchanged.

(In other terms, looks like its rendering under a multiplier instead of additive.)

Cipherr

burgerdog said:

11tyezo.jpg

That explains what happened to my cat. I thought I was losing my mind.

wowscrnshot022809191316.jpg

I hope those cats stay like that. I'm leveling one up for my second spec after seeing it on the PTR. They should look that cool anyway being the offspring of Har'koa and Loque'nahak. :D

I'm totally stocking up on Titansteel bars, eternals, and gems. :D I plan on making a killing off that stuff once the patch hits.

Cipherr

Well BM is absurd for hunters again on test. Heroic dummy you can sustain 3200 dps indefinitely (it will spike higher during uptime of BW and cooldowns but it levels out over a 10 minute dps period with multiple entries of Aspect of the Viper for mana) and this is while gemmed for Survival, and Glyphed for Survival with zero buffs on me or the pet and zero debuffs on the target dummy causing inflated numbers. Considering the same setup and variables thats roughly 350+ more than I can get out of SV at the moment over there.

Granted I'm dealing with alot of new things in my SV rotation, but a little polish is not going to close that gap. The raid buffs will benefit the BM hunter more thanks to pets getting their haste back and still gaining WF totem haste. And on top of that GC announced an incoming nerf to Explosive shot in the next 3.1 push to test which will just widen the rift. Im certain BM will get nerfed before live, but enough to bring it below where SV will be? I'm thinking not.....and I really don't want to be BM spec again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom