• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kyoufu said:
You can switch specs at any time when out of combat (unless you're in a BG or Arena). The only drawback is your mana starts at 0 when you change, so you have to drink or evocate.
But is that the way they intend to do it on Live? I had heard something about needing a Lexicon to do it.

Epix

Angry Grimace said:
But is that the way they intend to do it on Live? I had heard something about needing a Lexicon to do it.
That's the way they originally announced the feature but when the PTR first went up they changed it. Don't know if they intend to change it back. I doubt it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Epix said:
That's the way they originally announced the feature but when the PTR first went up they changed it. Don't know if they intend to change it back. I doubt it.
Well, what I was thinking was that perhaps they omitted the Lexicon requirement for the testing phase to make sure the actual Dual Spec switching worked. I guess we won't know for a couple of weeks.

Angry Grimace

Epix said:
We tried it for a couple hours last night and our bear tank was dying with drakes 2 & 3 down. We switched to a unholy DK tank (due to their damage mitigation CDs) and it seemed to go much better.
Sarth 3D is why all those DK cooldowns are getting nerfed to shit. :(

I mean, they have *four* of them, if I'm counting right, and that's including the fact that a lot of DK tanks seem to forget that you take close to half damage when channeling Army.

Tamanon

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Well, what I was thinking was that perhaps they omitted the Lexicon requirement for the testing phase to make sure the actual Dual Spec switching worked. I guess we won't know for a couple of weeks.

No, Blizz stated that they felt it was alright to just allow switches at any time out of combat. They changed from the Lexicon stuff.

yacobod

Banned
Epix said:
We tried it for a couple hours last night and our bear tank was dying with drakes 2 & 3 down. We switched to a unholy DK tank (due to their damage mitigation CDs) and it seemed to go much better.

ya we use a dk to tank sarth on 3d, seems to be the tank of choice for that fight

TomServo

Manick Joe said:
The actual leveling process is a breeze and even easier if you have some heirloom items (Sword MH, Dagger OH, Shoulders and the haste trinket). I generally get a feel for a class by like 20 or so and then decide whether to continue or not.

Heirloom items are awesome.

I'm leveling a priest alt, and I've got the hammer w/ +29sp enchant, shoulders w/ +30 sta inscription, and a trinket. Only level 36, specced primarily in holy, and I roll over anything that isn't orange to me. Can't wait to hit 40, respec to shadow, and craft some shadoweave with my main. Should be a total /faceroll to 60 at that point.

Epix

Questhelper is dead (slowly)

QuestHelper Dev said:
Bad news, everyone. Questhelper's dead.

Blizzard just posted their new UI Add-On Development Policy at http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/policy/ui.html. The important part is that I'm no longer allowed to ask for donations in-client. I know how much I got before I added the in-client reminder - it doesn't pay a significant fraction of the bills. And, as much as I like you guys, good intentions don't pay for my apartment.

So that's it. I'm going to be finishing up and releasing v1.0, and I'll keep posting incremental database improvements every month or two. I do plan to keep QH functional, at least through the end of Wrath, and probably further. I've got one or two features in mind that I want to do for my own sake - a few achievements, mostly - but besides that (and the v1.0 release) that's pretty much all there's going to be.

I would like to say: thanks to everyone who donated in the past. I enjoyed working on this quite a bit, and I always enjoyed seeing another donation come in - not just because of the money, but because it meant that people wanted to use QH and wanted to keep it going.

Let Blizzard know if you don't like it, and if I can get an exception, I'll start everything right back up again
http://www.wowinsider.com/2009/03/23/devs-respond-to-addon-changes/

Angry Grimace

Macattk15 said:
The guy should stop whining and get a job to pay for his apartment. Quest Helper is crap imo anyway, there are much better ones that take MUCH less resources to run.
I hear Carbonite is good :shrug:

Macattk15 said:
The hardest part of the fight is when Shadron and Vesperon are down at the same time with both their portals open. 225% more fire damage at that point.

Cooldown use becomes very important to keep the bear tank alive.

I believe our bear tank had 51k HP before the pull and obviously 25% less after the pull.

Took us 3 raid nights to do.

Raid night 2 on 3D is tonight, if our best people show up I'm sure we'll get it
Teneberon is pretty much dead when the 2nd drake lands, once the tanks figure out how to stay alive after the 2nd and 3rd drakes are down we got this

Yeah for your tank to stay alive you need to rotate all possibly cooldowns on Sarth's tank when all the drakes are down. Even a DK can't do this all by himself so you'll have to coordinate 2-3 healers with your tank so there is always something up when they're about to be flame breathed. I think we normally use a Disc Priest and Holy Paly.

Manick Joe said:
Yeah for your tank to stay alive you need to rotate all possibly cooldowns on Sarth's tank when all the drakes are down. Even a DK can't do this all by himself so you'll have to coordinate 2-3 healers with your tank so there is always something up when they're about to be flame breathed. I think we normally use a Disc Priest and Holy Paly.

Yea, we're working on that

yacobod

Banned
Manick Joe said:

i'm pretty sure a dk can handle on the c/ds on his own, shouldnt require any additional healer c/ds, obviously they dont hurt, but a dk can handle it on his own

We don't really have a dedicated DK tank

Both our DK's are usually DPS, one is actually the raid leader as well and he usually does the most DPS on melee friendly fights

He also has tank gear but I really doubt he'd be geared enough/able to co-ordinate the fight if he had to stay with Sarth....

Hopefully the druid can pull it off tonight

Kyoufu

Well, there goes my hopes for some Priest PVP viability. Blizzard just made a change on PTR that killed it again, completely.

Psychic Horror is now 2 minute CD.

PvP is a distant dream for my priest :(

J-Rzez

Kyoufu said:
Well, there goes my hopes for some Priest PVP viability. Blizzard just made a change on PTR that killed it again, completely.

Psychic Horror is now 2 minute CD.

PvP is a distant dream for my priest :(

Oh wow... that's just harsh. Priests got done dirty.

Cipherr

Hunters managed to dodge any nerfs in this new build, thank god.

MMOCHAMPION said:
Patch 3.1 - PTR Build 9722
« on: March 24, 2009, 12:04:42 AM »

Professions Changes
Alchemy

* All flasks recipes will now create 2 flasks for the same amount of ingredients but now last 1 hour instead of 2.

Achievement Changes
I will only list the major changes here, a lot of stuff is still being moved around with temporary Ulduar achievements.

Ulduar

* Glory of the Ulduar Raider now rewards Rusted Proto-Drake
* Heroic: Glory of the Ulduar Raider now rewards Ironbound Proto-Drake
* The Undying, Part Two has been renamed to "Champion of Ulduar" and now require you to kill each boss without dying, but not necessarily during the same reset (Source). Title Reward: Champion of Ulduar.
* The Immortal, Part Two has been renamed to "Conqueror of Ulduar" and now require you to kill each boss in Heroic difficulty without dying, but not necessarily during the same reset (Source). Title Reward: Conqueror of Ulduar.
* Realm First! Death's Demise - Participated in the realm first defeat of Yogg-Saron without the assistance of any Keepers on Heroic Difficulty. Title Reward - Death's Demise
* Realm First! Celestial Defender - Participated in the realm first defeat of Algalon the Observer on Heroic Difficulty. Title Reward - The Celestial Defender

Fishing

* Turtles All the Way Down - Fish up a Sea Turtle mount from any fishing pool in Northrend. (Video, this is recorded in WALKING speed, the running speed is 60% just like any lvl 40 mount, swimming speed is 133%)

Glyph Changes
Death Knight

* Glyph of Dancing Rune Weapon -- Increases the duration of Dancing Rune Weapon by 5 sec. (Down from 10 sec)

Mage

* Glyph of Improved Scorch -- The Improved Scorch talent now generates 5 (up from 3) applications of the Improved Scorch effect each time Scorch is cast.

Paladin

* Glyph of Seal of Blood -- When your Seal of Blood, Seal of the Martyr, Judgement of Blood, or Judgement of the Martyr deals damage to you, you gain 11% of the damage done as mana. (Old - Glyph of Seal of Blood -- Your Seal of Blood or Seal of the Martyr increases the mana received from Spiritual Attunement by 10% while active.)

Priest

* Glyph of Hymn of Hope -- Your Hymn of Hope lasts an additional 2 sec. (Old - Your Hymn of Hope provides 3 times the normal amount of mana per time, but its duration is 50% shorter.)

Warlock

* Glyph of Siphon Life -- Increases the healing you receive from your Siphon Life talent by 25%. (Old - Increases the effect of your Siphon Life spell by 20%.)
* Glyph of Immolate -- Increases the periodic damage of your Immolate by 10%. (Old - 20%, but decreased its initial damage by 10%)

Tier 8 Bonus Changes
Druid

* Druid T8 Balance 2P Bonus (Class: Druid) -- Increases the bonus granted by Eclipse for Starfire and Wrath by 15%. (Up from 6%)

Paladin

* Paladin T8 Protection 2P Bonus (Class: Paladin) -- Increases the damage done by your Seals of Vegeance, Corruption, and Righteousness by 10%. (Old - Increases the damage done by your Seals by 10%.)
* Paladin T8 Protection 4P Bonus (Class: Paladin) -- Shield of Righteousness now increases your shield block value by 225 for that attack and for 3 sec afterward.
* Paladin T8 Holy 4P Bonus (Class: Paladin) -- Your Sacred Shield can now trigger its effect every 4 sec instead of every 6. (Old - Increases the damage absorbed by your Sacred Shield by 10%.)

Priest

* Priest T8 Shadow 4P Bonus (Class: Priest) -- Your Mind Blast also grants you 240 haste rating for 4 sec. (Old - 15 Haste, bugged)
* Priest T8 Healer 4P Bonus (Class: Priest) -- Casting Power Word: Shield also grants you 250 spell power for 5 sec. (Old - 15 spell power, bugged)

Warlock

* Warlock T8 2P Bonus (Class: Warlock) -- Increases the damage done by your Unstable Affliction by 20% and your Immolate by 10%. (Old - Increased both UA and Immolate by 20%)

Undocumented Class Changes
Quote from Blizzard staff
Death Knight (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Unholy

* Anti-Magic Shell now absorbs absorbing 75% of the damage dealt by harmful spells (up to a maximum of 50% of the Death Knight's health).
* Ghoul Frenzy now casting cost is now 1 Unholy Rune.

Blood

* Dancing Rune Weapon now lasts 5 sec plus 1 sec per 10 runic power. (Down from 10 sec plus 1 sec per 5 runic power)

Druid (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Balance

* Typhoon now also dazes the target for 3 seconds.

Restoration

* Tree of Life - Reduces the mana cost of your healing over time spells by 20% and grants the ability to shapeshift into the Tree of Life. While in this form you increase healing received by 6% for all party and raid members within 45 yards, and you can only cast Restoration spells in addition to Innervate, Barkskin, Nature's Grasp and Thorns spells.

Hunter (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Marksmanship

* Hunter's Mark now lasts 5 min. (Up from 2 min)

Survival

* Black Arrow shares a cooldown with Trap spells.
* Entrapment now prevent target from moving 2/3/4sec. (Down from 2/4/6sec)
* Trap Mastery now increases the number of snakes summoned by Snake Trap by 3/6/9. (Down from 30/60/90, typo)

Mage (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Fire

* Frostfire Bolt will now deal damage based on the resistance of the target: This spell will be checked against the lower of the target's Frost and Fire resists.
* Improved Scorch now also Increases your chance to critically hit with Scorch by an additional 3/6/9%.

Paladin (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Holy

* Divine Plea now only reduces the amount healed by your Flash of Light, Holy Light, and Holy Shock spells.
* Aura Mastery tooltip has been modified to properly reflect its 10 seconds duration.

Protection

* Divine Sacrifice tooltip has been modified to properly reflect its 10 seconds duration.

Retribution

* Divine Storm now causes 110% of weapon damage to up to 4 enemies within 8 yards.
* Righteous Vengeance now also affects Crusader Strike.

* Judgements of the Wise now immediately grant you 25% of your base mana. (Up from 15%)

Priest (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Holy

* Divine Hymn mana costs has been increased from 35% of base mana to 63% of base mana. Cooldown increased from 6 min to 10 min. Now Heals 3 nearby lowest health friendly party or raid targets for 4320 to 4774 every 2 sec for 8 sec, and increases healing done to them by 15% for 8 sec.

Shadow

* Psychic Horror cooldown has been increased from 1 minute to 2 minutes.

Shaman (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Elemental

* Totem of Wrath range has been reduced from 40 to 30 yards.
* Storm, Earth and Fire now reduces the cooldown of your Chain Lightning spell by 0.75/1.5/2.5 sec. (Up from 0.75 on all 3 ranks)

Warlock (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)

* Chaos Bolt damage has been increased, now deals 1429-1813 fire damage at max rank. (Up from 1243-1577)

Warrior (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
Arms

* Rend (Rank 1) and Rend (Rank 2) had their damage slightly increased.
* Juggernaut has been changed to : Your Charge ability is now usable while in combat. Following a Charge, your next Slam ability has an additional 100% chance to critically hit if used within 10 sec.
* Taste for Blood now give you a chance to allow the use of your Overpower ability for 9 sec. (Up from 5 secs)

Fury

* Intimidating Shout range has been reduced from 10 to 8 yards.
* Improved Berserker Stance now increases strength by 3/6/9/12/15% instead of increasing attack power by 2/4/6/8/10%

Protection

* Warbringer now also affects Intercept and Intevene
* Improved Spell Reflection now works on the 2/4 closest party members within 20 yards.

VaLiancY

Crusader Strike is now An instant strike that causes 110% weapon damage. In addition, if you strike a player while they are casting, their magical damage and healing will be reduced by 50% for 6 sec. (That is not an official change. It is something we were experimenting with, but not a change we are going to make for 3.1. Source)

:lol You better knock that back, Blizzard. Trying to give Paladins back their shine.

Almost had 3d tonight but people got too excited and got nailed by a void zone while AOEing the adds down after Shadron was dead =/

We'll have it on Wednesday for sure

Leveling fishing is just about the most boring thing in the game. You can level it in a city so, if you like trade chat you might enjoy it. :lol It was way too boring for me to level it in a few days. It took me like a month.

firex

I'll level it after the patch since it sounds like fishing will be better then (fishing outside your skill level will give you junk items). Going from like, 60 fishing or some crap to 450 in Dalaran or that Tuskarr village in Dragonblight should be better than catching low level fish I can't use. at least I'm assuming you can skill up while doing that since it seems like you can skill up fishing anywhere.

Tamanon

Banned
BigJonsson said:
Now I have to work on fishing

How much of a bore is it?

I'm at 0 right now

It's pretty dull. The best thing to do when leveling is to do it while watching TV or something. Turn off the WoW music, crank your speakers up to where you can hear the bob and just right click whenever you hear it. Then just hit your hotkey(1 for me), move the cursor over the bobber and get right back to watching TV.

It'll fly by for the first 100 levels, and then it's all steeply downhill. Makes leveling Blacksmithing look easy.

Tamanon said:
It'll fly by for the first 100 levels, and then it's all steeply downhill. Makes leveling Blacksmithing look easy.
Yeah. I'm currently at about 275 unbuffed and I just can't stand going to the Hinterlands (leveling cooking with fishing, and Hinterlands gives a good amount of Sunscale Salmon) and fishing for more than 15 minutes. It doesn't help that the drop rate on Sunscale Salmon is really low when I usually start fishing at around 5pm, either.

I'm thinking of just leveling cooking by itself for now, then just grinding fishing out in Dal come 3.1.

firex

If you can get cooking to 300 then you will be fine for leveling it past there. I literally have like 60 fishing or something at the most on my pally and I'm at 430ish cooking. Although honestly I won't mind catching Northrend fish just because they give the awesome dual health/mana foods with buffs.

I love fishing, especially once I could start doing it in Northrend. I'm only at about 330 right now but have caught 2 Siren's Tears, about 8 pearls, and tons of clam meat and fish I can cook and sell. And compared to farming herbs I don't have to compete with anyone else unless I'm looking for schools.

Edit: I am a holy priest and would like to get into raiding. I have 999 spellpower right now, how much should I have to do raids? I got turned down by some guy doing Naxx yesterday, that's why I'm wondering. I know with my warrior tank there was a certain defense I should attain, and didn't know it would be the same with my priest.
This is my armory btw http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Xiuxiu

yacobod

Banned
Macattk15 said:
Hurray for further nerfs to Fury!

Improved Berserker Stance now increases strength by 3/6/9/12/15% instead of increasing attack power by 2/4/6/8/10%

its a buff if you actually use all plate items, it kind of hurts leather itemization, and this will change best in slot for a fury warrior

im going to switch to arms when 3.1 launches, i'll probably go back to fury after getting bis ulduar gear tho

Macattk15

yacobod said:
Improved Berserker Stance now increases strength by 3/6/9/12/15% instead of increasing attack power by 2/4/6/8/10%

its a buff if you actually use all plate items, it kind of hurts leather itemization, and this will change best in slot for a fury warrior

im going to switch to arms when 3.1 launches, i'll probably go back to fury after getting bis ulduar gear tho

Yeah same here, nabbed a Crypt Fiend's Bite last raid week in preparation since it seems I will never get a BoH.

I'd really really like if Blizzard would change the Warrior version of Armored to the Teeth to grant STR instead of AP.

Magnus

funkmastergeneral said:
I love fishing, especially once I could start doing it in Northrend. I'm only at about 330 right now but have caught 2 Siren's Tears, about 8 pearls, and tons of clam meat and fish I can cook and sell. And compared to farming herbs I don't have to compete with anyone else unless I'm looking for schools.

Edit: I am a holy priest and would like to get into raiding. I have 999 spellpower right now, how much should I have to do raids? I got turned down by some guy doing Naxx yesterday, that's why I'm wondering. I know with my warrior tank there was a certain defense I should attain, and didn't know it would be the same with my priest.
This is my armory btw http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Xiuxiu

A lot of people have the number 1500 floating around as a high water mark for Naxx, although obviously you'd want a more reactive and efficient healer than one who just has a certain amount of spell power.

TomServo

Magnus said:
A lot of people have the number 1500 floating around as a high water mark for Naxx, although obviously you'd want a more reactive and efficient healer than one who just has a certain amount of spell power.

True, but some fights in Naxx are just about straight up HPS. Patchwerk obviously, but Loatheb needs the biggest heals possible when the window is open.

Without having to worry about hit, I'd expect healers to have more +sp than the dps.

Magnus said:

Buffed or unbuffed?

Angry Grimace

speedpop said:
Welcome to hell :lol
I just hotkeyed my cast to a mouse button. When you sit around wondering how your local trade chat troll does it, this is how, by fishing.

Just remember that you don't HAVE to go anywhere outside Stormwind/Orgrimmar to fish all the way to 450 (other than training). Fishing skill-ups are based on the number of fish you catch, not the difficulty of the pond/fish.

TomServo said:
True, but some fights in Naxx are just about straight up HPS. Patchwerk obviously, but Loatheb needs the biggest heals possible when the window is open.

Without having to worry about hit, I'd expect healers to have more +sp than the dps.
I always hear people in PUGs calling for 2000+ (for 10!), but I've never noticed a problem with my wife's heals and in ToL form she barely breaks 1900. I think people aren't really paying attention to the fact that certain spells take more SP benefit than others.

TomServo

funkmastergeneral said:
Buffed or unbuffed?
Unbuffed. 1500sp is not difficult to get running heroics. I know I was over 1500 unbuffed before I started raiding, and I was even sacrificing +sp for +hit, something a healer doesn't have to worry about.

Angry Grimace said:
I always hear people in PUGs calling for 2000+ (for 10!), but I've never noticed a problem with my wife's heals and in ToL form she barely breaks 1900. I think people aren't really paying attention to the fact that certain spells take more SP benefit than others.

Moving goalpost alert! :p

The poster who brought the question up was under 1000 +sp (unbuffed I hope). Little bit different than being at 1900 +sp buffed.

In regards to people with high standards for PUGs, there's a difference between doing something and doing something quickly. It's not always e-peen or snobbery. A well-geared PUG (alts or raiders who missed their guild night) can get through Naxx in three hours or so. PUGs with first time raiders, people in greens, or just outright bad players may down KT, but it may take them three times as long (if not more).

Same goes for heroics. If I feel like farming badges with guildies we can /faceroll through heroics in under half an hour. While it is nice to see gear go to use instead of being DE'd, I don't always want to take the time to carry a new 80 through an instance.

Angry Grimace

TomServo said:
Unbuffed. 1500sp is not difficult to get running heroics. I know I was over 1500 unbuffed before I started raiding, and I was even sacrificing +sp for +hit, something a healer doesn't have to worry about.

Moving goalpost alert! :p

The poster who brought the question up was under 1000 +sp (unbuffed I hope). Little bit different than being at 1900 +sp buffed.

In regards to people with high standards for PUGs, there's a difference between doing something and doing something quickly. It's not always e-peen or snobbery. A well-geared PUG (alts or raiders who missed their guild night) can get through Naxx in three hours or so. PUGs with first time raiders, people in greens, or just outright bad players may down KT, but it may take them three times as long (if not more).

Same goes for heroics. If I feel like farming badges with guildies we can /faceroll through heroics in under half an hour. While it is nice to see gear go to use instead of being DE'd, I don't always want to take the time to carry a new 80 through an instance.
Taking an 80 through to get geared is fun for me, provided the player is good (alts are notoriously fun to move through if you know the player).

Oh, and the new Lottery Boss is "Emalon the Stormwatcher." No clue how to fight him, but I hope they give him at least a degree of difficulty. No more seeing idiots in greens facerolling through him. I'd also like to see a boss that I can keep up with a little better as melee; my warrior and death knight always seem to have problems targeting Archavon for some reason.

dave is ok said:
I love cooking/fishing.

My character has every profession achievement
Even the 160 recipe one? I'm at like 155 and it seems my only remaining holes are the horde only quest rewards and those stupid chimera chops from the AQ gate opening chain (no way am I doing that rep grind).

How is Archavon hard for melee? Just need to occasionally run like 20 yards and stand slightly out of the dreaded dust cloud of doom.

funkmastergeneral said:

How the hell is it so little? I had more at 70 as disc.

Angry Grimace

Manick Joe said:
Even the 160 recipe one? I'm at like 155 and it seems my only remaining holes are the horde only quest rewards and those stupid chimera chops from the AQ gate opening chain (no way am I doing that rep grind).

How is Archavon hard for melee? Just need to occasionally run like 20 yards and stand slightly out of the dreaded dust cloud of doom.
Because PUG tanks can't seem to hold him still long enough for my Warrior to stay in Melee range. They have a bad tendency to walk off and move around all the time. Unlike, say, Sapphiron, his hit box isn't ginormous.

I didn't say he's "hard" for melee, anyways, just that melee damage on Archavon isn't keeping up with ranged in most cases. Archavon is just a lottery e-peen boss anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom