• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
w00t! Got my Glory of the Raider achievement along with the Plagued Proto-Drake last night. Final achievement we needed was the one where you need to kill Malygos in 6 minutes. After a couple attempts, we got the hang of getting him in the air before the second vortex. Had around 22 seconds on the clock when he died. :D

Tamanon

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Looking for a quick response. Should I buy http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37835 for 4k gold?

I have 12k so gold isn't a problem but I don't want to spend so much on something that may be easily replaced come ulduar. Thoughts?

edit: bought it. goodbye 4k ;(

Yes, you should anyways, even if you were going to flip it. It normally goes for anywhere from 8-10k.

Mac: It was Jeh'tze's Bell

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Macattk15 said:
I don't understand my computer and WoW honestly. Quad Core overclocked to 2.6Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, Vista 64 bit, 2x 8800GT.

I drop into the 20 FPS range in Naxx 25 amidst all the AE and such. Whether I'm running in SLI or not.

If you're having Max FPS all the damn time, you must be running some sort of super computer. If you're not, wtf is wrong with mine?

Have you done Sartharion 25, is your FPS there awesome? Though I guess that is only going to be a hit to your FPS with multiple drakes still active during the fight.
Here's what I've found; WoW seems HATE going past 1680x1050. Once you reach that and 1920x1200 your framerate seems to half. Happened on two different computers and configs. When using an old 1280x1080 (or whatever it is) I'd get 60 all the time everytime anywhere. On my new 24" I get shit framerates at times, and this is with an i7, 6GB of RAM and a GTX 260.

JoeFu

Banned
How awesome are Ele shaman at level 80? I made one recently and he is level 65 and I'm having a blast. Right now he is so fun to play as, I can't image what it's like in the gear from Northrend.

Macattk15

Epix said:
I'm running Quad Core OCd to 3.2 with a 8800GTS. In 25 mans im around 100fps with nothing going on and around 55 during boss fights with settings past max (via macros). Check your latency as it will have an effect on your fps. If you don't mind giving up about 5-10% of DL speed for ftp type downloads then you can try an TCP optimizer designed just for WoW (FasterPing - WoW Booster, for example) to decrease your latency. Mine went down about 50%.

My latency is around 200ms or so usually ... god damn Comcast. I just feel like my computer should never be slowed down by WoW. I do not think my latency would have that large of an affect on my FPS because it's not "stutter-worthy" lag.

I don't know if something is fucked in my BIOS, settings or anything .... I don't even think I have AA and AF up very high.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm not the only one with FPS issues with WoW.... i mean with everything maxed, my computer can play games like Bioshock, Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead with almost no FPS lost, always seem around 40-50 fps at least. But with WoW, especially with maxed View distance, i always get between 20 & 30. If i ever want to play at 50-60 dps i have to put the View distance almost at 0. And let's not mention Wintergrasp & Dalaran where it's usually below 15... Ridiculous. Especially when the FPS games i mentioned have much more details, textures and shit like that.

Macattk15

Bisnic said:
I'm not the only one with FPS issues with WoW.... i mean with everything maxed, my computer can play games like Bioshock, Team Fortress 2 or Left 4 Dead with almost no FPS lost, always seem around 40-50 fps at least. But with WoW, especially with maxed View distance, i always get between 20 & 30. If i ever want to play at 50-60 dps i have to put the View distance almost at 0. And let's not mention Wintergrasp & Dalaran where it's usually below 15... Ridiculous. Especially when the FPS games i mentioned have much more details, textures and shit like that.

Yeah I have the same problems. Which is why I'm kinda doubting the dude with 100 FPS everywhere.

The only time I get over 100 FPS is when I'm flying around in some random zone in Northrend ... or pretty much anywhere in the Azeroth. My computer is no slouch, it kicks the shit out of most things. Doesn't have too many problems with Crysis either.

JoeFu

Banned
Bisnic said:

Yup. I can play Crysis with max settings at around 25 fps, in Dal I get 15...

Tamanon

Banned
JoeFu said:
How awesome are Ele shaman at level 80? I made one recently and he is level 65 and I'm having a blast. Right now he is so fun to play as, I can't image what it's like in the gear from Northrend.

Once you hit 75 it gets even better with Lava Blast. It's basically like you've got a mage that can respec to a rogue or a priest.

firex

Macattk15 said:
I don't understand my computer and WoW honestly. Quad Core overclocked to 2.6Ghz, 8 GB of RAM, Vista 64 bit, 2x 8800GT.

I drop into the 20 FPS range in Naxx 25 amidst all the AE and such. Whether I'm running in SLI or not.

If you're having Max FPS all the damn time, you must be running some sort of super computer. If you're not, wtf is wrong with mine?

Have you done Sartharion 25, is your FPS there awesome? Though I guess that is only going to be a hit to your FPS with multiple drakes still active during the fight.
I don't know what to say because I have a way worse computer than that (well, not way worse, but half the RAM and only one 8800GT, and only a dual core) but my FPS is great. It's only maxed in instances, and I think that's just because of limited player models. although I haven't done any heroic raids yet, so it might drop a lot on 25 man raids.

although I also don't run the game fullscreen or anything. it's not pretty enough for me to bother, so I just run the game in a 1024x768 window. Dalaran is like anything from 45fps to 15fps for me, just depends upon how crowded it is at the time.

Scum

Woooo! I've finally earned enough to get Artisan riding and Swift flying mount. Mining should be a bit quicker for me now! \o/

There goes all my gold. :-/

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Finally another Betrayer of Humanity dropped for my guild tonight, think I have pretty much every item I need. Been waiting weeks for the damn thing.

Cipherr

bengraven said:
I am going to hate World of Warcraft when Questhelper eventually is phased out.

I have always preferred Lightheaded coupled with TomTom.

Open your quest log and a window is attached to it allowing you to scroll through all of the WoWhead.com comments for the quest right from inside the game (no tabbing out) then simply click the coords that people inserted on the Wowhead comments and TomTom puts a dot on your mini map at the coords and makes an arrow on your minimap points you in that direction.

Im really not sure what more anyone wants from a quest mod. I really prefer actually having readable WoWhead comments that say

"Oh and swing around the corner and grab quest 'X' from the guy in the barracks before doing this quest as they have the exact same objective and you can do them both at the same time.....also... he hits plate for 5k a swing. Its not labeled a group quest, but youll need help"

That kind of info + coords + an arrow to literally point the way is all I have ever wanted from a quest mod. Hell you can even use it to check out the next quests in the chain, their rewards and reputation given so you can see if the chain your starting is worth your time or not. Its the perfect questing mod. Without being a total memory whore.

Edit: 14th Kel 25man kill tonight, no Envoy. Not a single one. Fucking Christ this is stupid.

Swag

So I was thinking of leveling up a fury warrior with some of my heirloom gear. I dunno if I should go with the heirloom sword or axe

Bloodied Arcanite Reaper
Two-Hand Axe
474 - 711 Damage Speed 3.80
(155.9 damage per second)
+68 Strength
+103 Stamina
Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 68 (1.48% @ L80).

or

Venerable Dal'Rend's Sacred Charge
Main Hand Sword
235 - 436 Damage Speed 2.80
(119.8 damage per second)
+28 Stamina
Requires level 1 to 80 (80)
Equip: Improves critical strike rating by 37 (0.81% @ L80).
Equip: Increases attack power by 28.

Because from what Ive read Fury is all about Dual Wielding from the get go it makes the most sense to get the sword and just get the axe when I ding somewhere around 50, but every warrior I see is always equipped with an axe, any warriors have any suggestions?

Kyoufu

For my warrior alt I didn't bother with pre-60 one-hander heirlooms. Spending my emblems on the two-handers for TG instead.

We got Malygos to phase 2 before the 2nd vortex twice tonight (first time) but fucked up phase 2 the first time and phase 3 the second time. We should get the 6 minute achievement on Sunday but fuck, it's infuriating.

Cipherr

cubicle47b said:
We got Malygos to phase 2 before the 2nd vortex twice tonight (first time) but fucked up phase 2 the first time and phase 3 the second time. We should get the 6 minute achievement on Sunday but fuck, it's infuriating.

Youll probably one shot the 6 min achievement next time you try it. Malygos's learning curve for us was the most anticlimactic ever. It was hard then we learned sparks, and just started destroying it. At least 3 drakes you still feel like your trying on follow up kills weeks and weeks afterwards. malygos is 4+ minutes of nothing once youve killed him once.

colinp

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Just got WoW Battle Chest for my birthday and just need to say that this game has MONSTROUS patches. That is all.

Yeah the patch system really blows when working with a fresh install. Not sure what the hell Blizzard was thinking with that one. I wish you could download just one mega patch that includes everything up to the current patch, instead of having to download each damn incremental update. Ridiculous.

Tamanon

Banned
colinp said:
Yeah the patch system really blows when working with a fresh install. Not sure what the hell Blizzard was thinking with that one. I wish you could download just one mega patch that includes everything up to the current patch, instead of having to download each damn incremental update. Ridiculous.

Once 3.1 hits, it'll be a mega patch for the whole thing. Just like you patch to 3.0 then onwards.

Worst Naxx10 night ever turned into the best Naxx10 night ever. One of our tanks had his account hacked right before we pulled 4 Horseman. The hacker stuck around and tanked it for us and helped us down Sapph before it got late and people had to get to bed. We gave him a t7 chestpiece and he gemmed it for the guy he hacked. The hacker ended up being a better warrior than the guy he replaced. And a little cooler, too. :lol

colinp

Banned
Tamanon said:
Once 3.1 hits, it'll be a mega patch for the whole thing. Just like you patch to 3.0 then onwards.

? I don't think there is a mega patch for 3.0 that it defaults to. At least when I installed (both on XP and OS X) I had to download a lot of updates just to reach 3.0...

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Bisnic said:

Same here, exept im like at 14 to 10 fps.

I dunno what the fuck it is. Nothing I change really gets it up to a good framerate. I mean, I'm using a 8800GT with 3gb of ram for crying out loud.

firex

colinp said:
? I don't think there is a mega patch for 3.0 that it defaults to. At least when I installed (both on XP and OS X) I had to download a lot of updates just to reach 3.0...
You should go to 3.0 automatically when you install WotLK. If you don't then that's pretty weird since the whole point of the 3.0 patch for WoW players before WotLK was so they'd have less to install.

edit: also I am 99% positive the reason WoW kills most people's fps (mine is still bad outside instances but I keep settings maxed) is because of all the little shiny gear details that it's drawing for all the people, even if you can't see them yet. It's always shitty for me in heavily populated areas. Zones with nobody in them are nothing, though.

Dina

sprsk said:
Same here, exept im like at 14 to 10 fps.

I dunno what the fuck it is. Nothing I change really gets it up to a good framerate. I mean, I'm using a 8800GT with 3gb of ram for crying out loud.

Addons (combination of memory usage and cpu usage, esp the latter one) cause a lot of fps-lag. Try gunning for those .lua addons, they really help. I went from 13mb on addons to 4,4mb. But what helped even more was the cpu cycles got diminished by a fuckton. OUF instead of Pitbull, OUF_Perfect instead of Grid, rActionBarStyler instead of Bartender, rBuff instead of EBB or Satrina, NeedToKnow instead of Classtimer, MyThreat instead of Omen, rChat instead of Prat, no damagemeters, etc etc. BigWigs is the biggest addon I have at 1,2mb, then MSBT at 600kb, then the rest.

Also, Dalaran or 25man raids generally are very heavy. I have a Dualcore e6320, 8800GT and 4gbs of ram, and in raids I generally get around 15-20 fps. No AA, all detail low except spell detail at medium. Max view distance though.

colinp

Banned
firex said:
You should go to 3.0 automatically when you install WotLK. If you don't then that's pretty weird since the whole point of the 3.0 patch for WoW players before WotLK was so they'd have less to install.

edit: also I am 99% positive the reason WoW kills most people's fps (mine is still bad outside instances but I keep settings maxed) is because of all the little shiny gear details that it's drawing for all the people, even if you can't see them yet. It's always shitty for me in heavily populated areas. Zones with nobody in them are nothing, though.

Right, if you have the Battle Chest and WotLK you will install up to 3.0 without any hassles. Unfortunately, if you do not have WotLK (and really why would you buy it if you just got the Battle Chest and therefore are a very far cry from lvl 70) you need to upgrade with a ridiculous number of small patches, a few big patches, one REALLY F'ING HUGE patch, etc... just to reach 3.0 not to mention 3.0.9...

Epix

Ikuu said:
Finally another Betrayer of Humanity dropped for my guild tonight, think I have pretty much every item I need. Been waiting weeks for the damn thing.
I've been waiting for one too as I'm the next person in the guild to be getting one. We've only had 1 drop for us.

VaLiancY

The latest PTR build pretty much kicked Blood & Frost in the chest of any chance of having a perma-ghoul. Not a major loss though despite I'll still stick with Blood and laugh at Unholy
because I'm insecure

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Epix said:
I've been waiting for one too as I'm the next person in the guild to be getting one. We've only had 1 drop for us.
This was our third, someone else had the same DKP as me but was going to take it to DW them, fortunately he passed or I probably would of lost the roll.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shattered+Halls&n=Daybowbow is what I've got now, apart from the neck don't think I could replace anything, and even then it would mean I'd have to gem/enchant for some more hit.

firex

colinp said:
Right, if you have the Battle Chest and WotLK you will install up to 3.0 without any hassles. Unfortunately, if you do not have WotLK (and really why would you buy it if you just got the Battle Chest and therefore are a very far cry from lvl 70) you need to upgrade with a ridiculous number of small patches, a few big patches, one REALLY F'ING HUGE patch, etc... just to reach 3.0 not to mention 3.0.9...
ah, you don't have WotLK. well that makes sense. Yeah, it's going to be a pain in the ass to download the patches. WotLK is worth getting, though, even though it only has stuff for level 55+ characters. at least when you get that high it'll be worth getting.

Chris R

People complaining about horrible FPS performance need to try a few things, like turning your Multisample option down to 2x or 1x. This will result in a HUGE increase in performance. If jaggies make you that angry, try enabling AA or AF in your video card drivers options instead.

There are other tweaks to make the game run quite well. I mean my main rig I play on now is a Mac Mini with an integrated GPU and I still rock a constant 30fps (my vista rig is ~180 constant :( )

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
VaLiancY said:
The latest PTR build pretty much kicked Blood & Frost in the chest of any chance of having a perma-ghoul. Not a major loss though despite I'll still stick with Blood and laugh at Unholy
because I'm insecure
From where I see it, given that DRW is no longer really worth putting 50 into Blood, I see no reason to not to at least consider 44/0/27.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=&version=9733

Even if you don't go that far in unholy and really want Blood Gorged, taking Night of the Dead means you could manually press the button more than once in a fight. (I think that people sometimes forget about the ghoul when it's not MoG talented, at least I do)

Macattk15

rhfb said:
People complaining about horrible FPS performance need to try a few things, like turning your Multisample option down to 2x or 1x. This will result in a HUGE increase in performance. If jaggies make you that angry, try enabling AA or AF in your video card drivers options instead.

There are other tweaks to make the game run quite well. I mean my main rig I play on now is a Mac Mini with an integrated GPU and I still rock a constant 30fps (my vista rig is ~180 constant :( )

No performance changes at 8x to 1x :(

I'm thinking of quitting the old wow. Is there still a market for sold accounts? I'm not looking for heaps, just like... seeing what I could get? Trustworthy websites? I have a smattering of characters, an 80 dk with near top enchanting/epic flying/and naxx 10 and a little bit of naxx 25 tanking gear with a middling dps set, a 70 druid LW/skinner (with high cooking/fishing) with epic flying and a good for 70 kara/ZA healing set AND the swift zulian tiger, a 70 hunter normal flying and middling kara set and then some randoms... like a 41 mage, a 32 druid, and some other shitty alts

Something like that what would I be looking at? Anyone know?

Macattk15

rhfb said:
try changing it from 24x24 then to 16x24 or 16x16

Nah no change.

I did OC my Quad core to 3.2Ghz and set my RAM to it's correct factory settings (dont know how my 1066 ram was running at 800 ....) and my FPS in Dalaran is at least mid 40's ... so thats cool.

Chris R

Macattk15 said:
Nah no change.

I did OC my Quad core to 3.2Ghz and set my RAM to it's correct factory settings (dont know how my 1066 ram was running at 800 ....) and my FPS in Dalaran is at least mid 40's ... so thats cool.
My quad core is at 2.5 and I'm getting 3x that fps in Dalaran :| don't know why FPS is so bad for somepeople :| just strange

VaLiancY

Angry Grimace said:
From where I see it, given that DRW is no longer really worth putting 50 into Blood, I see no reason to not to at least consider 44/0/27.

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=&version=9733

Even if you don't go that far in unholy and really want Blood Gorged, taking Night of the Dead means you could manually press the button more than once in a fight. (I think that people sometimes forget about the ghoul when it's not MoG talented, at least I do)

Something along the lines of this? I'm going to lurk EJ and see the DRW vs. Ghoul numbers. I really did like the old version of DRW, it hit so hard in the amount of time you were given if your rotations were on point.

Angry Grimace

Ugh, finally got around to a serious attempt at Malygos and it was a lot harder than we thought. 10 wipes.

Had to PUG some DPS, and was getting to Phase 3 with almost 4 min. left, but just couldn't seem to down the damn guy. Phase 3 is just annoying I guess; people can't seem to follow whichever drake is healing and/or stack Engulf at the same time as they move away from those shock fields.

Gonna try again tomorrow I guess. /fail

I'm totally bored with the game right now. It seems like half the guild stopped playing. That means we're not doing Malygos anymore and we can pretty much forget about 3D. Last Naxx run we had to pull in some of the non-raiders to get 20 in there. At least we got half of that achievement down I guess. We were struggling with some of our best people gone though. And the weekly Naxx 10 runs are a total bore. Pretty much everything is either off-speced or sharded. I'm just there to try and get a few pieces for my hunter but everything that drops there is plate and resto/elemental Shaman gear. There are people actually yawning on vent before we're even done with the Arachnid wing. The AH is sucking too. It takes me 3-4 times as long to sell something at half the price it went for a month ago. Hurry up with the patch Blizzard!

I guess go buy some DS games I've missed out on to entertain me until Ulduar.

Epix said:
I'm running Quad Core OCd to 3.2 with a 8800GTS. In 25 mans im around 100fps with nothing going on and around 55 during boss fights with settings past max (via macros). Check your latency as it will have an effect on your fps. If you don't mind giving up about 5-10% of DL speed for ftp type downloads then you can try an TCP optimizer designed just for WoW (FasterPing - WoW Booster, for example) to decrease your latency. Mine went down about 50%.

How can I get this Faster Ping add on? I searched Curse gaming but it seems to have been taken off the website.

Renewed, game is still fun as fuck. Did wintergrasp, Sarth 1d pug, and vault within an hour or so of renewing. Quite fun.

My guild fucking evaporated though, oh well.

Kyoufu

I'm having a hard time dropping Tailoring. Northrend Cloth Scavenging increases my cloth intake when I'm farming Relics of Ulduar, which makes me a shitload of gold.

Thinking of doing either Inscription or Enchanting (so I can DE unwanted epics in raids) but the frostweave cloth is getting in the way :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom