• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I guess my alt spec dps set won't be too bad. once my titansteel CD is up tomorrow I can get the 2h mace crafted, and I have a decent set of armor, although it's all crafted or quest/rep rewards. and I have the heroism trinket + the dps libram.

Ripclawe

Banned
Lake Wintergrasp

* All players who attack a siege vehicle should now get credit if it is destroyed.
* Daily quests “Slay Them All!” (Horde) and “No Mercy for the Merciless” (Alliance) have had their PvP kill requirements reduced to 10 from 20. NPCs defending the fortress and south towers now count toward these dailies as well.
* The number of NPCs defending fortress has been increased.
* The time between battles will be saved should a realm shut down. If Wintergrasp is active when a realm shuts down, the game will restart from the beginning when the realm is once again live.
* Towers in Southern Wintergrasp now have more defensive cannons.

I like these changes.

Wow I feel like an idiot. I hit 80 on Monday and have been healing heroics on my priest, and have been having some mana issues when my tank isn't too well geared. I just figured it was him taking too much damage that I had to heal through, but it's actually me. I've been spamming flash heal all the time because I thought it was better then greater heal, but apparently I have it completely backwards. Kind of embarassing to have a warrior tell you this after I've leveled up to 80.

Kyoufu

funkmastergeneral said:
Wow I feel like an idiot. I hit 80 on Monday and have been healing heroics on my priest, and have been having some mana issues when my tank isn't too well geared. I just figured it was him taking too much damage that I had to heal through, but it's actually me. I've been spamming flash heal all the time because I thought it was better then greater heal, but apparently I have it completely backwards. Kind of embarassing to have a warrior tell you this after I've leveled up to 80.

If you have glyph of flash heal, then its almost as efficient as greater heal. Of course if you're holy spec then you should use greater heal much more.

Flash heal is Discipline's go-to heal button when Penance is on CD.

Kyoufu said:
If you have glyph of flash heal, then its almost as efficient as greater heal. Of course if you're holy spec then you should use greater heal much more.

Flash heal is Discipline's go-to heal button when Penance is on CD.

Yea, I'm a holy priest. I rarely, if ever, used greater heal. Hopefully my next few instance runs are smoother.

firex

I think the only class with a more efficient quick heal is the shaman now. which blows my mind because healing wave used to be the more efficient heal.

anyway, I have a question: how much should I tip a blacksmith for crafting a titansteel destroyer for me if I'm providing all mats? I don't want to be a dick and tip like 25g but I also don't want to give them like 200g if that's excessive.

Kyoufu

firex said:
I think the only class with a more efficient quick heal is the shaman now. which blows my mind because healing wave used to be the more efficient heal.

anyway, I have a question: how much should I tip a blacksmith for crafting a titansteel destroyer for me if I'm providing all mats? I don't want to be a dick and tip like 25g but I also don't want to give them like 200g if that's excessive.

25g is not being a dick dude, infact its the norm for any epic worth a salt. I charge less for the Titanium rings/necks (JC) and people end up giving me more than I asked for (I usually get 20-25g despite asking for less).

Tamanon

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Yea, I'm a holy priest. I rarely, if ever, used greater heal. Hopefully my next few instance runs are smoother.

It takes a while to get used to. I've only healed a few times on my priest, but I kept defaulting to flash heal to heal. I guess it's because my other healer was a Paladin, so it seemed natural. Playing as a Holy priest means you need to pay attention to what procs you get, the goal is to avoid spending mana as much as possible, even if it means starting a greater heal, then cancelling it when you see the tank can take some more hits(to get outside the FSR). Of course, it looks like things will switch up with 3.1 for both trees.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:

Eh, Paladin's are BUILT around Flash of Light spam mostly. It's so damn efficient they can almost cast it forever.

zam

firex said:

Get a guildie to make it for free? Anyways, on my server a 25g tip is more than enough.

funkmastergeneral said:

Im a holy priest and use greater heal plenty of times in heroics. Its all about timing and knowing how much dmg your tank can take.
Most tanks, i just chuck a PoM+Renew on them and wait till i can a throw a Greater Heal when the tank's hp starts dropping to around 60%.
But it all comes to the encounter on what type of dmg (single/aoe) and how much (quick flash heals or time for a greater heal?)

On that note. I did my first EoE today. Completely shattered all confidence i had from my great Naxx/OS runs when i failed majorly on the vortex.
I noticed that CoH doesnt seem to work in the air. So i guess its all about throwing as many HoTs on the raid just before the vortex, and then hoping everyone survives the fall before quickly getting that hp back up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
firex said:
:lol reminds me when I was healing instances as Ele Shaman and was still healing the old school way. Was like night and day when I switched over to Resto and got some decent glyphs going on, to the point where I only ever used Healing Wave with NS as a clutch.

Strangely, right now I'm leveling a Belf Priest to be a healer at 80 -only lvl 9, and no herilooms though. :(

Anyway I've picked up Herbalism for my Priest so should I also take up Alchemy with that, or just go with Skinning for the extra cash?

I'll obviously be using Alchemy a lot at 80, but it'll mostly negate my income from Herbalism. If I pick up Skinning I'll get money from both professions, but I'll be switching to Alchemy at 80 probably. What's your opinion, GAF?

firex

Tamanon said:
Eh, Paladin's are BUILT around Flash of Light spam mostly. It's so damn efficient they can almost cast it forever.
FoL has always been pretty good, but I think 3.0 finally made it so Holy Light is actually more efficient in the overall breakdown. maybe not, though.

edit: also I'd just go herb/skinning until 80 or you have enough cash for cold weather flying and artisan riding. the extra crit will help you a little bit while leveling, and alchemy is easy to raise when you can ride around every zone on your epic land/flying mounts and go pick all the herbs you need to get 450 alch in a couple days.

Weenerz

Banned
Alchemy sucks asshole. If you're leveling herbs, level inscription as well, both can be seen as a money maker in the end, with new glyphs being introduced, as well as the ink/pigments you can sell. Plus you get an awesome shoulder enchant at 400 skill.

colinp

Banned
Weenerz said:
Alchemy sucks asshole. If you're leveling herbs, level inscription as well, both can be seen as a money maker in the end, with new glyphs being introduced, as well as the ink/pigments you can sell. Plus you get an awesome shoulder enchant at 400 skill.

I think you might be the reason I can make so much off of my low-mid level alchemy potions at the AH so please don't stop the negativity.

Flambe

sub_zer0 said:
On that note. I did my first EoE today. Completely shattered all confidence i had from my great Naxx/OS runs when i failed majorly on the vortex.
I noticed that CoH doesnt seem to work in the air. So i guess its all about throwing as many HoTs on the raid just before the vortex, and then hoping everyone survives the fall before quickly getting that hp back up.

I think it's bugged (has been for a while) and you're supposed to be able to throw instant casts around.

For the time being, top off raid before it starts and try to cast what you can, PoM might work.

firex

decent day for me as well. Got a lot of emblems in a couple hours, got my titansteel destroyer crafted, and now I just need to enchant my new stuff and I should have a decent (though easy to upgrade) set for offspec.

Cipherr

Starting to get real bored. Noones signing up for raids much now since everything is on farm, we are actually going to leave some stuff up this week because noone needs items from him. All will kick back into overdrive in 3.1.

Macattk15

Puncture said:
Starting to get real bored. Noones signing up for raids much now since everything is on farm, we are actually going to leave some stuff up this week because noone needs items from him. All will kick back into overdrive in 3.1.

Same thing in my guild. Less and less showing up for raids.

winnarps

Puncture said:

Yeah, this started happening about 2 months ago for us. Go from having 30 people ready for a raid to about 15 nowadays. I hope we're able to field enough for Ulduar.

On another note, I took to leveling alts. I just took my druid from 63-70 yesterday. Talk about quick. Feral = little to no downtime.

Now it's gonna start averaging 4-5 hours per level and take me a while. Ugh.

firex

all right I'm kind of curious. I'm missing the following slots for my offspec dps set, and I'm a paladin:
1 trinket (though I can probably craft one of the JC trinkets for this)
neck
1 ring (1 of my rings is the old level 70 s3 dps ring, other is also crappy but crafted)
gloves
back (could probably buy the argent crusade one but I think there's better)

I'm just not sure what's good for me to pick up. I have enough emblems that I could buy the dps neck, or I could save up and double my emblems for a t7 piece and get those gloves, although they're not that great. I'm just wondering what drops from heroics, crafting, pvp (mostly WG) or rep I should go for. I'm working on EB rep right now so I can get their boots at exalted. my dps pants aren't really that good, either, (exalted wyrmrest pants ftl) but I can just run heroic UK until I get that drop.

I could ask EJ but they are more of a talent site than a gear suggestion site, aside from best-in-slot gear and there's no way I'll get BiS dps gear considering my main spec is tanking.

JoeFu

Banned
I picked up some gloves in The Oculus, not sure if you hate that instance enough to not want them... Also I have the Emerald Boar just for the two gem sockets, which I loaded prismatic gems into. I think there's a cape with expertise that drops in H HOL. Do you have the ring from H gun'drak? Because that is also nice for dps.

firex

no, I don't have really good dps rings. all I have is one crafted JC one that was easy to make and the old S3 dps ring. I'll just tank heroics and get offspec stuff since like nobody who runs heroics needs upgrades 99% of the time anymore.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
all right I'm kind of curious. I'm missing the following slots for my offspec dps set, and I'm a paladin:
1 trinket (though I can probably craft one of the JC trinkets for this)
neck
1 ring (1 of my rings is the old level 70 s3 dps ring, other is also crappy but crafted)
gloves
back (could probably buy the argent crusade one but I think there's better)

I'm just not sure what's good for me to pick up. I have enough emblems that I could buy the dps neck, or I could save up and double my emblems for a t7 piece and get those gloves, although they're not that great. I'm just wondering what drops from heroics, crafting, pvp (mostly WG) or rep I should go for. I'm working on EB rep right now so I can get their boots at exalted. my dps pants aren't really that good, either, (exalted wyrmrest pants ftl) but I can just run heroic UK until I get that drop.

I could ask EJ but they are more of a talent site than a gear suggestion site, aside from best-in-slot gear and there's no way I'll get BiS dps gear considering my main spec is tanking.

1 Trinket

Save for the Mirror of Truth. Nothing else is all that great. Even Chuchu's Box of Horrors is better than nothing; another option is the Meterorite Whetstone from Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle. Also consider the Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood from Keristraza Heroic (although you may not need the hit, but the on use effect is very nice). I still am using an Emerald Boar + 2 prismatic Str Gems and a Mirror of Truth, since you get like 250 AP doing that. If you're rich, there's always Darkmoon card.

Rings:

* Band of Frosted Thorns (drops in H Nexus off of Crystal Shaper Ormorok, great ring as it is a DPS ring with Strength on it instead of just attack power, plus has a ton of Crit Rating on it.)

* Hemmoraging Circle - H Gun'drak. 100 attack power plus a bunch of expertise and agility. Not really an upgrade over the Frosted Thorns band due to stat weights for Plate DPS classes.

* Ring of Scarlet Shadows - Lv. 78 JC crafting ring - Hit, crit and AP, plus a socket.

Back: There is only one choice. Go to the Auction House and buy Cloak of Bloodied Waters - 60 Str plus 34 crit rating. Sells for 100g or so, is a zone drop from H-Gun'drak. Best pre-raid cloak for Plate DPS classes due to strength scaling.

Gloves - Gauntlets of Dragon Wrath from H Oculus are very very nice, but not necessarily required.

Neck - Either the Pendant of the Outcast Hero from badges (only 25) or the Gold Amulet of Kings from Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle. They are very similar in overall stat effect for Plate DPS, although the Gold Amulet is a blue and has STR/Crit.

TomServo

winnarps said:
On another note, I took to leveling alts. I just took my druid from 63-70 yesterday. Talk about quick. Feral = little to no downtime.

I finally got to 40 on my priest alt. I really hope the respec from LOLsmite to shadow speeds things up. Even with heirloom shoulders, mace, and trinket it was taking forever to kill things.

We're not seeing attendance problems for 25mans. Granted some folks that were being sat before are seeing a lot of activity. I expect there to be a good bit of fighting for raid slots once 3.1 goes live. I actually plan to take a break during that time, because I'm a bit burnt out on raiding as a whole right now, and the schedule they want to run when 3.1 goes live is silly (six hour raid night, no thank you).

Epix

The Blizzard mobile authenticator is available on the app store for free. It requires that you upgrade your account to the new Battle.net.

firex

I already have Mirror of Truth actually. that's why I only listed one trinket. I should've clarified that, though. but I'll go buy that cloak, and I guess the next thing I learn from JC dailies will be the level 78 DPS ring. I guess for a second trinket I can either run H-Nexus (and also get that ring maybe) since I don't think I'd have much hit, or make the boar and learn the hit and str dragon eye forms. and my dps gear isn't even that great to begin with, but those slots are all literally no DPS gear at all. The rest of it is basically savage saronite, rep blues/epics, or emblem rewards. at least I'm basically set for a weapon with the titansteel destroyer, and I have the dps libram, even though it won't be that useful except maybe while soloing.

Cipherr

Epix said:
The Blizzard mobile authenticator is available on the app store for free. It requires that you upgrade your account to the new Battle.net.

IPhone only?

winnarps said:
Yeah, this started happening about 2 months ago for us. Go from having 30 people ready for a raid to about 15 nowadays.

Yeah that really cracks me up. When we first started Naxx25 there would be 35 accepted people for the raids. Its dwindled down to 22 or so with the majority being peoples alts that they are gearing up. Its boring for me because I have no desire to gear my mage at all. I just wanted him leveled so that I could drop mining on my Hunter for Blacksmithing to go with my JC. Ill still need ore though :lol

I still need to get my fury trinket from Sarth but Im less excited to go when the raid is jam packed with alts. We are basically relearning the fights from scratch as people who main tank on mains play their healers and healers play tanks and everythings all wacky. Hilarious tanks playing their rogue alts telling the raids MT whose main is a healer how to manage the cooldowns for sarths burst damage and tricks on how to position her right.

I dont mind it to badly, but its just a little annoying taking an hour to finish an encounter that we had down to like ~15 minutes on our mains. I want the trinket, but not that bad.

Got my Bronze Drake today!

First time attempting a Timed CoS run, and luckily only another person and I needed the Drake, which I won the roll for. Managed to make it to the corrupter with 5 min to spare after having our healer die twice and me once due to the healer dying the one time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:
I already have Mirror of Truth actually. that's why I only listed one trinket. I should've clarified that, though. but I'll go buy that cloak, and I guess the next thing I learn from JC dailies will be the level 78 DPS ring. I guess for a second trinket I can either run H-Nexus (and also get that ring maybe) since I don't think I'd have much hit, or make the boar and learn the hit and str dragon eye forms. and my dps gear isn't even that great to begin with, but those slots are all literally no DPS gear at all. The rest of it is basically savage saronite, rep blues/epics, or emblem rewards. at least I'm basically set for a weapon with the titansteel destroyer, and I have the dps libram, even though it won't be that useful except maybe while soloing.
The only real cockblock for Plate DPS trying to gear up is the shoulder slot; the rep required to buy the Sons of Hodir one is annoying (revered) and there's nothing great that drops in Heroics either.

The Ring actually sells okay, but it does require a Scarlet Ruby to make which is partially why it costs so much.

Obviously there are better choices if you're able to move into Naxx; i.e. Ruthlessness from Naxx-25, Circle of Death from Sapphi-10. Naxx 10 has such low gear requirements you literally could pop in there wearing greens.

Spiked Titansteel is actually better than anything you'll get until Naxx-25, the Death Inured Boots from Ebon Plate are perfect as well. Leggings, Staggering Legplates will take up such a huge chunk of hit you won't need to gem/enchant or gear for hit beyond it and a couple pieces. The belt from Keri is great too, which makes Nexus an awesome run for Plate DPS'ers looking to gear up, not to mention the 5 badges.

Just had the best thing happen in OS25 a few minutes ago.

We had this hunter do 475 DPS, then roll on the Shammy gloves... then demanded a "refund" when (s)he found out that the Protector gloves dropped, before rolling on them and the 2 bags, despite there being a one piece of loot per person rule in place.

Was pretty hilarious all the way through. Also of note was a DPS warrior who did 800 DPS and pulled aggro a couple of times, despite his protests that he "doesn't have" taunt.

Overall it was one of the funniest pugs I've been in for a while. They're usually quite depressing.

firex

all right, looking at the advice for heroics (or naxx10, I did get dps bracers out of there this week) I may as well run H gundrak anyway. The tank shoulders off the colossus boss are still an upgrade for that set (I refuse to spend 3k gold on those epic shoulders, haven't gotten t7 yet either) and the zone drop + ring drop will be good. although I guarantee any melee dps will want the ring too.

I couldn't find that cloak earlier but I'll also keep checking the AH. as far as necks go I'll probably go for the H UP neck, and if I get enough badges for t7 dps gloves I'll just buy those. fucking nobody runs heroic oculus unless it's the daily, and it's like never the daily.

firex said:
I like the oculus too, but achievements are all I have left for it and it's not fun to do those.

Man I have the same problem. I've had a hell of a time finding a group for heroic occulus, and when I finally do they are looking to get certain achievements, and I'm not interested in the headache involved with getting them.

Edit: Also guys I was wondering if my gear looks all right to try Malygos or 25 man instances like Naxx http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Gorefiend&n=Xiuxiu

I know I have a lot of upgrades to get, but I haven't been so lucky with drops since hitting 80.

TomServo

TomServo said:
I finally got to 40 on my priest alt. I really hope the respec from LOLsmite to shadow speeds things up. Even with heirloom shoulders, mace, and trinket it was taking forever to kill things.

Played the priest a little yesterday before raid. Holy crap. Was questing in Dustwallow Marsh and got to 41 in an hour with only three bars of rested xp.

Mind blast -> SW:p -> Mind Flay -> Mind Flay -> Dead

Not sure what all the theorycrafters are smoking when they say holy is the way to level now. It took me two or three times as long to kill as mob as holy.

Kyoufu

TomServo said:
Played the priest a little yesterday before raid. Holy crap. Was questing in Dustwallow Marsh and got to 41 in an hour with only three bars of rested xp.

Mind blast -> SW:p -> Mind Flay -> Mind Flay -> Dead

Not sure what all the theorycrafters are smoking when they say holy is the way to level now. It took me two or three times as long to kill as mob as holy.

lol Holy? yeah its horrible. Only feasible with certain talents and even then its not as good as shadow.

PS: Discipline MT healing is sex sex sex.

Orbitcube said:
Just had the best thing happen in OS25 a few minutes ago.

We had this hunter do 475 DPS, then roll on the Shammy gloves... then demanded a "refund" when (s)he found out that the Protector gloves dropped, before rolling on them and the 2 bags, despite there being a one piece of loot per person rule in place.

Was pretty hilarious all the way through. Also of note was a DPS warrior who did 800 DPS and pulled aggro a couple of times, despite his protests that he "doesn't have" taunt.

Overall it was one of the funniest pugs I've been in for a while. They're usually quite depressing.

:lol wtf? 475 DPS? A Warrior could auto-attack, idle and still get more DPS than that! How did you guys even clear it with bad peopl...oh wait, its OS25. Lulz. That fight is such a joke with no drakes.

JoeFu

Banned
Really? Shields give tons of mp5 usually, so I was wondering if holding an offhand thing would benefit more with the spellpower and stuff because from what I've read Ele shaman have no problem keeping their mana up.

Well, looking at stuff the badge heroic one gives no mp5. I wonder if some offhand frills would be better though.

I AM BLIND! Was looking at the offhand badge loot... the picture is a shield! i got confused. The shield has mp5 which would take away other stats like crit or hit. I think I'm going with MH/offhand when I get to 80.

firex

The badge offhand is ok. The real problem is blizzard doesn't itemize shields for elemental, more for resto/holy paladins. There's no reason not to get a crit/spell power shield though, because you can get hit elsewhere.

Scum

So, I decided to give the Alliance side of things a go and I'm currently trying out a Human Paladin (currently lvl 13). It's fun to be melee for a change. :lol

Can anyone give me some pointers? Perhaps, which weapons will be of good use?? Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom