• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

firex

I spent most of my posts the last couple weeks talking about getting gear for my ret offset, but that's because my tank set can only really get better with heroic raid drops.

Flib

Only had time last night to get down Flame Leviathan (we had a really late start), but goddamn what a fun fight. It feels so good to actually be progression raiding again.

SleazyC

Manick Joe said:
Had fun with Flame Leviathan but then Razorscale smacked us around for about 2 1/2 hours. It seemed like no matter what health we got him too he would always enrage after being dragged down the third time. We would had him down to under 6 million on our best attempts but still went crazy with his 900% damage buff leading us thinking he might be bugged. Won Wintergrasp then went to Emalon and got a good laugh out of the one add blowing up annihilating the whole raid. Figured out the strat (can't believe you have to kill the empowered one so quickly) but people were way tired so called it for another day.
I think I remember reading somewhere that Razorscale does enrage if you don't get her down by after the 2nd harpon/drag sequence.

winnarps

SleazyC said:
I think I remember reading somewhere that Razorscale does enrage if you don't get her down by after the 2nd harpon/drag sequence.

Yep, in the encounter's current form, you HAVE to bring Razorscale down to 50% by the end of the second harpooned phase, or else you'll have Enrage kick in and wipe the raid. Popping Heroism/Bloodlust on a harpoon phase helped us a lot. Phase 2 is a joke after that.

Carl2282

We only got in 1 attempt on FL on herioc before the instance servers went to hell, then went on to ignis on normal, good god his trash is actually nasty and there's a lot of damage flying around (and our group was very well geared and running 3 healers). I'm having a ton of fun now that this game is actually challenging again.

explodet said:
hahaha

I did some Emalon PUGs today too on and alt and got pasted, my guild is going for a serious run tomorrow.

DPS starts on the boss, then has to immediately switch to one of the four adds that Emalon overcharges. That mob will be healed to full at the initial overcharge (so damaging the adds beforehand is useless), then will stack damage buffs until it reaches ten of them, then will explode and wipe most of the raid. It has to be killed quickly before that happens. Once it's dead a replacement mob is summoned and needs to be offtanked.

Emalon himself will lightning nova melee (like Loken) and chain lightning ranged dps and healers so they have to spread out.

Basically, DPS has to be not retarded. After months of Sarth with zero drakes and Archavon pugs, good luck finding it!

Yea, same here. Me and the OT had the tanking aspect down, the healers were doing their job...but the dps wasn't getting the job done. I've done Archavon with no one in the group at/above 1500, some folks in pvp gear. That's not gonna cut it. We tried 4 times before running out of time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good folks together today and try it again. I'm guessing since I didn't kill the boss, being saved won't matter as long as everyone else in the group is saved at same spot as I am correct?

PhoenixDark said:
Yea, same here. Me and the OT had the tanking aspect down, the healers were doing their job...but the dps wasn't getting the job done. I've done Archavon with no one in the group at/above 1500, some folks in pvp gear. That's not gonna cut it. We tried 4 times before running out of time. Hopefully I'll be able to get some good folks together today and try it again. I'm guessing since I didn't kill the boss, being saved won't matter as long as everyone else in the group is saved at same spot as I am correct?

It's about raid ID's, not instance progression.

Kyoufu

I have been melting face as Shadow Priest PvP spec since server came up.

Way better survivability now. DKs, Hunters and Paladins are like free kills now lol.

PatzCU

A couple questions for hopefully someone to answer:

1. Now that there is Dual-Spec (which is fcking amazing), I am using 1 spec for Holy PvP and the other spec for Ret PvE. I have never actually played my Paladin for Ret DPS other than leveling. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty damage rotation I should look at? Are there any tricks for staying within that rotation? Are there any mods (damage meters) I should pick up so I can monitor and improve progress?

2. My servers WG kept crashing over and over, bringing down the world server. I never actually got to see the new vault format. Are Archavon and Emalon in different instances or will I get saved for them both if I do a 25pug Archavon?

Any answers are much appreciated! I need to find a new guild to raid with =(

Carl2282

PatzCU said:
A couple questions for hopefully someone to answer:

1. Now that there is Dual-Spec (which is fcking amazing), I am using 1 spec for Holy PvP and the other spec for Ret PvE. I have never actually played my Paladin for Ret DPS other than leveling. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty damage rotation I should look at? Are there any tricks for staying within that rotation? Are there any mods (damage meters) I should pick up so I can monitor and improve progress?

2. My servers WG kept crashing over and over, bringing down the world server. I never actually got to see the new vault format. Are Archavon and Emalon in different instances or will I get saved for them both if I do a 25pug Archavon?

Any answers are much appreciated! I need to find a new guild to raid with =(

from EJ's pocketguide
3.1 clash resolution is as follows: CS > HoW > Judgement > DS > Consecration > Exorcism > Holy Wrath
http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t53532-3_1_retribution_paladin_thread/

I'm still playing around with what works, I always like to judge early in a boss encounter especially when i'm the only pally judging a mob

Magnus

I don't understand how people who are supposedly only in 10-man 3.0 gear are expected to take on 3.1's 10-mans. They can be brutally challenging, and many of us are BiS from 3.0's 25-man gear. Go figure.

8k-9k frequent hits on Razorscale 10m seems way overtuned. The whole fight was done basically by the skin of our teeth, but I must say this: going Disc with the new Soul Warding talent helped immeasurably on that fight.

Being able to bubble everyone (and I mean all 10 of us) preemptively at almost no mana cost made a massive difference in smoothing out the insane random damage that results from Devouring Fireballs or whatever. If you or a guildie has access to a Disc priest, try it.

firex

I'm having a bitch of a time finding updated addons. Wowinterface is down, and Curse, as much as I don't like that site, says "link expired" when I try to manually install since I don't really trust the Curse client.

Magnus

Everything's working fine for me, except for the ability to right-click and interact with player characters (invite/inspect/etc) with X-Perl up. Anyone know if a newer X-Perl is available? Every site's down or bogged up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Magnus said:
I don't understand how people who are supposedly only in 10-man 3.0 gear are expected to take on 3.1's 10-mans. They can be brutally challenging, and many of us are BiS from 3.0's 25-man gear. Go figure.

8k-9k frequent hits on Razorscale 10m seems way overtuned. The whole fight was done basically by the skin of our teeth, but I must say this: going Disc with the new Soul Warding talent helped immeasurably on that fight.

Being able to bubble everyone (and I mean all 10 of us) preemptively at almost no mana cost made a massive difference in smoothing out the insane random damage that results from Devouring Fireballs or whatever. If you or a guildie has access to a Disc priest, try it.
Hope you're happy you all complained about how easy Naxxramas is. :lol

I doubt I'll even get in this week. We have a tiny casual guild that does 10 mans, and our best DPS just randomly quit WoW, xferred, who knows; ain't on our server anymore, and he's best friends with our regular OT.

Wanted to give a Heroic a try to test out my new abilities/talents but nothing was even remotely stable enough to bother. Ended up leveling my priest in STV, cursing for hours as I couldn't find that goddamn Panther. Then I get to him, finally, and some level 44 horde come gank me and my friend.

Epix

Got Flame Leviathan down in 25 man yesterday. We were about to make an attempt on Razorscale when the instance was reset.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think I hate 97% of the WoW population.

As you can probably guess, I just visited the official forums for my realm.

Epix

PatzCU said:
Does xperl include action bars that work with the new dual spec interface?
As I believe it, the action bar mods themselves don't need to do anything different. The changes are in the defualt UI meaning that the client stores where you place all your spells when using each spec and loads in and out as you switch. I confirmed this yesterday because the feature is working with Bartender4 with no update to the mod required.

Evlar

Banned
Epix said:
As I believe it, the action bar mods themselves don't need to do anything different. The changes are in the defualt UI meaning that the client stores where you place all your spells when using each spec and loads in and out as you switch. I confirmed this yesterday because the feature is working with Bartender4 with no update to the mod required.
Great news!

Kyoufu

BigJonsson said:
Any suggestions on what JC recipes I should buy first?

Already have the bright dragons eye :D

I heard bold scarlet ruby is good

Bold and Runed Scarlet Ruby are your main priorities once you have the Dragon's Eye ones.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Angry Grimace said:
I think I hate 97% of the WoW population.

As you can probably guess, I just visited the official forums for my realm.

You shouldnt visit the official forums for any other reasons than getting info from blue posts. :lol Trolls are everywhere.

Angry Grimace

BigJonsson said:
Any suggestions on what JC recipes I should buy first?

Already have the bright dragons eye :D

I heard bold scarlet ruby is good
Bold Scarlet Ruby, Runed Scarlet Ruby requires Exalted Kirin Tor.

Anything else that would let you cut a cheap (non-Scarlet Ruby) blue gem into something valuable is usually a rare drop recipe. I did once find a Soverign Twilight Opal recipe on the AH for 40g.

I was going to resell it but ended up just using it because nobody was buying for a price I felt wasn't worth just learning it myself.

Can someone link me a good survival raiding spec? I want to try it out on my hunter.

Also, are there any sites that kind of do what BRK did? Preferably with a podcast too? I'm missing a good hunter focused site now that he quit.

JoeFu

Banned
Angry Grimace said:
Bold Scarlet Ruby, Runed Scarlet Ruby requires Exalted Kirin Tor.

Anything else that would let you cut a cheap (non-Scarlet Ruby) blue gem into something valuable is usually a rare drop recipe. I did once find a Soverign Twilight Opal recipe on the AH for 40g.

I was going to resell it but ended up just using it because nobody was buying for a price I felt wasn't worth just learning it myself.

Bold takes 4 jewelcrafting tokens.

TomServo

Epix said:
Got Flame Leviathan down in 25 man yesterday. We were about to make an attempt on Razorscale when the instance was reset.

Significant jump in difficulty.

We got Flame Leviathan down easy despite the folks assigned to launch onto him not understanding what they were supposed to do - we got just one system overload yet killed him easily.

Razorscale... hates melee. The adds were manageable for us until the whirlwinding vykruls made their appearance and wiped out the melee. Gotta love progression and not knowing exactly what the mobs do. Frustrating thing was that we almost got to phase 2 on our first attempt doing nothing but zerging the fight, and the few attempts we made with a more organized strat were fail.

Honestly I think most of us were just tired. A lot of excitement over the patch, then frustration when it took so long to load, rushing through respecs to try and get some raid time in, etc. We'll kill some more bosses tonight for sure.

Epix

TomServo said:
Significant jump in difficulty.

We got Flame Leviathan down easy despite the folks assigned to launch onto him not understanding what they were supposed to do - we got just one system overload yet killed him easily.

Razorscale... hates melee. The adds were manageable for us until the whirlwinding vykruls made their appearance and wiped out the melee. Gotta love progression and not knowing exactly what the mobs do. Frustrating thing was that we almost got to phase 2 on our first attempt doing nothing but zerging the fight, and the few attempts we made with a more organized strat were fail.

Honestly I think most of us were just tired. A lot of excitement over the patch, then frustration when it took so long to load, rushing through respecs to try and get some raid time in, etc. We'll kill some more bosses tonight for sure.
Can you do a second round of turret killing on Flame Leviathan? We were thinking that the turrets didn't respawn meaning only one circuit overload.

Flib

Flib

Epix said:
Can you do a second round of turret killing on Flame Leviathan? We were thinking that the turrets didn't respawn meaning only one circuit overload.

Yes, they should respawn after circuit overload. We had issues with the pyrite gathering controls not working last night, so we downed him with two overloads. This was on 10-man though, as we started so late we only had enough people on for that.

Angry Grimace

JoeFu said:
Bold takes 4 jewelcrafting tokens.
The comma was supposed to be a period :lol

Bold can be bought, I'd also suggest the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond recipe for skilling up since it sells.

Kyoufu

Gloomfire said:
So, now that I will be foreced to respec, 72 Mage, stay fire, go frost, or go arcane?
'

Lets just say that if you can get good at Frost, you will be unstoppable in PvP, and pretty good for levelling too. Same with Arcane, but less so in PvP.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Had a very nice raid tonight.

Once the server came up we ran into Ulduar10 and started working out the kinks for the 25-man with the viechles. Great first fight. We destroyed all 4 towers so I'm guessing the fights get far more intresting when it's harder. Then we tried Ignis and the crybaby robot (best voicework ever!) just before it was time for a break for dinner and 25-man.

25-man was a wonderful battle. Great fun. And once it got time to loot I got a 1/30th happier on my paladin. :)

Then the server crashed and we called the raid. I love Ulduar so far. The coming weeks will bring the joy back in raiding.

etiolate

Banned
Can you set your second spec in dual-spec to just be a blank slate? So you have a blank talent spec to just redo from there? Does it have to have all points used?

Flib

Magnus said:
Are Ignis and XT still considered bugged? I haven't heard of many or any killing them.

They hotfixed them today. The stacks now can be removed on Ignis, but they ended up just disabling the trash for XT for the time being, seems there is a bigger issue with them.

And at least one guild is currently working on Yogg-Saron (Exodus - US), so yeah.

etiolate said:
Can you set your second spec in dual-spec to just be a blank slate? So you have a blank talent spec to just redo from there? Does it have to have all points used?

It can be blank. I'm running around with a blank one on my hunter right now. If you fill it up you can just go back to the trainer and clear it.

Chris R

StormyTheRabbit said:
Arcane or Frost to level, unless 3.1 did something MAJOR to it or the other specs.
There is nothing wrong with a FFB leveling build.

I wish the FB/TTW build was as powerful as FFB for me on my mage. Kinda dislike ffb now, but it is like 400 more dps in my current gear.

Angry Grimace

Flib said:
They hotfixed them today. The stacks now can be removed on Ignis, but they ended up just disabling the trash for XT for the time being, seems there is a bigger issue with them.

And at least one guild is currently working on Yogg-Saron (Exodus - US), so yeah.
I'm sure Ensidia or whatever other poopsocker guilds will announce how unimpressed they are (despite the fact that they are 100% BiS on the previous tier, which trivializes the premise that the content is too easy), and it will only get worse when they down Algalon.

mileS

Flib said:
My link above is good choice

Yea just before I quit Survival was getting buffed and it looked like the best raiding spec but looking at all the patch notes since then it seems like they've done nothing but nerf it back down to what it once was. Black Arrow sounds interesting though

zam

Flame Leviathan one-shotted and Ignis at 5% after a bunch of wiping. And right now the servers are crashed again.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Angry Grimace said:
I'm sure Ensidia or whatever other poopsocker guilds will announce how unimpressed they are (despite the fact that they are 100% BiS on the previous tier, which trivializes the premise that the content is too easy), and it will only get worse when they down Algalon.
You act like bis is hard to obtain. I have -1 bis only because it didn't drop 1 time in our 25 man runs from naxx. I only play two days a week (friday night and saturday night) and that's when we raid. Most of our guild is BiS and its not like it was very difficult to obtain. We play for 5 (well now up to 8 with ulduar) hours a week since January and here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom