• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

Proc said:
Has anyone here tanked as a death knight? I have an orc warrior at 70 and a dps dk at 72. Not sure which one I should get to 80 first. The thing holding me back as playing the warrior is that he's an orc, and I can't stand playing him for that reason (weird I know).

Just wondering how DKs are managing as tanks in the end game and whether or not they are any fun to play as the tank role.

Tanking is a blast as a DK. And they're very effective. Not as dominate as they were pre-current patch, but they're still neck and neck with Druids for being the best tanks. Most people who say they're bad tanks either have bad players behind them, or, were prior War/Pally/Druid tanks just being sore since they have to share more space with them in the Tank pool. In other words, they took their jerbs.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
DKs (pre 3.1) did the most DPS out of all the tanks I've seen cause of all their AOe. Recently though I'm getting about 2k with my warrior though.

mileS

They can tank just fine its just that i've seen plenty of terrible DK tanks. When you compare them to Warrior/Pally for main tank they are the worst. Thats just my opinion.

Its probably better now but it was hard for DK's to get def capped for a while. I guess thats why i've seen a lot of bad DK tanks.

mileS said:
DK's are still the worst tanks. Not saying they can't do it but when you compare them to the other tank classes they are.

they are def not the worst tanks, prolly the best, i out-tank anyone i know for sure & the way all the sandy vag tankspot warriors campaign against dk tanks i'd put my vote on they're the best, less so after 3.1 but still powerful

LAUGHTREY said:
DKs (pre 3.1) did the most DPS out of all the tanks I've seen cause of all their AOe. Recently though I'm getting about 2k with my warrior though.

haha, i had a few fun naxx runs with HB + glyphed corpse explosion, was fun seeing all those numbers and limbs flying all over

i was king of the trash!

We're running through Ulduar 10 man. Just killed Thorim (8 bosses down, didn't get Ignis last last). I have to say, the place is pretty awesome. Very fun.

firex

I know it's way more complicated for me to figure out DK tanking compared to warrior/pally tanking, but it's still pretty good and they are definitely good tanks. They have a lot of the bear druid advantages and also a lot of the other plate class advantages.

zam

Thorim and Freya down. Only Mimiron, General and Yoggy left. Mimiron is a blast, it's like a mix between Vashj and Lurker.

Kyoufu

Gloomfire said:
So, where do I get better gear at 72? Is it just raids and PVP? Raids are dead on my server, so that sucks if it's the case.

No, you get better gear via quests wherever you are levelling and 5-man instances. Try The Nexus.

I know they're handicapable and not handicapped, but my regular 10 man raid seemed to pick up a deaf guy playing a Resto Shaman over the last couple weeks. Trying to learn Ulduar while not having him in vent is an exercise in frustration.

border

mileS said:
Warrior tanks have changed quite a bit since then. It's so much easier to tank now its funny. It's actually a lot more fun now as well.
To be honest I think I preferred pre-WotLK tanking more, and am still having trouble getting the hang of the post-WotLK style. I liked having everything CC'ed in place, smacking down 1-2 mobs that I knew I had to build aggro on, setting up Revenge with Shield Block, carefully burning everything down in the right order.....the change in favor of Massive AOE over CC is not quite as fun. I have to worry about aggro being pulled if the wrong target gets DPS'ed too hard....missing with a Thunderclap or Shockwave. The only cool change was getting Vigilance and being able to Taunt from 30 yards away.

I dunno, maybe I just haven't discovered the magic secret yet.

CassSept

border said:
To be honest I think I preferred pre-WotLK tanking more, and am still having trouble getting the hang of the post-WotLK style. I liked having everything CC'ed in place, smacking down 1-2 mobs that I knew I had to build aggro on, setting up Revenge with Shield Block, carefully burning everything down in the right order.....the change in favor of Massive AOE over CC is not quite as fun. I have to worry about aggro being pulled if the wrong target gets DPS'ed too hard....missing with a Thunderclap or Shockwave. The only cool change was getting Vigilance and being able to Taunt from 30 yards away.

I dunno, maybe I just haven't discovered the magic secret yet.
Well in Ulduar we use CC, and it feels really strange seeing sheeps and banishes in raid back :p

Freya and Ignis down, but we have some strange with Thorim and can't nail this boss yet. Today though, after him, Mimiron. And the fun begins.

firex

if possible, I use CC in H-HoL against those guys that do whirlwind and shoot lightning bolts at random people, but that's about the only time I use CC ever in the leveling/heroics game.

firex said:
if possible, I use CC in H-HoL against those guys that do whirlwind and shoot lightning bolts at random people, but that's about the only time I use CC ever in the leveling/heroics game.

Are those the patrols that throw out those absolutely horrible posion DoTs? That was probably my least favorite part of any heroic, I kept suggesting crowd control but no one wants to be bothered anymore :(

firex

they're in that same part, but since I'm a pally tank and I still use Clique, I just cleanse someone (also my usual healer partner in WoW is a shaman, so he's all "lol cleanse totem"). I think the guys I'm talking about are called stormforged runeshaper or something like that.

JoeFu

Banned
That is the worst room in any instance ever. Those stupid spinney shootlightningbolt guys suck. My guild is fairly decked out, we pull rooms sometimes just for fun, but omg I hate that room.

We finally got into Ulduar on 25 man last night and got Flame Leviathan down. He dropped a Fragment of Val'anyr too. Our resto druid got it. We spent most of the night wiping on Malygos though so, we weren't in there for long. We quit halfway to Ignis.

firex

I'd just keep leveling and do instances as you go. If you're 71 you can easily do Nexus/UK, 72 can probably handle AN, and just keep going.

I don't think Ulduar is overtuned. It feels about right for an instance that's supposed to last for a long time. And Mimiron is pretty awesome (aside from the phase 4 bug, his trash is godawful, though).

JoeFu said:
That is the worst room in any instance ever. Those stupid spinney shootlightningbolt guys suck. My guild is fairly decked out, we pull rooms sometimes just for fun, but omg I hate that room.

It's kinda funny/sad that after all these months of doing that instance, melee still die like clockwork on those guys; people seem to think oh yea, I can do enough dps to kill it before it kills me.

mikeGFG

Banned
vumpler said:
Fixed. My post on the last page commented on this and I assumed it would begin an uproar.

Yeah I read your post earlier and I agree with all of it. Whatever team was responsible for the tuning of Ulduar fucked up and fucked up bad.

I enjoyed watching a lot of casual guilds pop up with the introduction of Lich King raiding (Naxx, Sarth and Malygos). Guilds that could raid one to two nights a week, clear a few raids and have fun doing so. Even pugging whole 25 mans was feasible in Wrath; something that you would have never seen in Burning Crusade (save the occasional Gruul)

In the short time that Patch 3.1 has been available, I've seen about 5-6 guilds completely disintegrate after trying to seriously raid Ulduar. It's a real shame, too, because I very much enjoyed the laid back style of Naxx and expected Ulduar to follow suit.

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Mike G.E.D. said:
It's a real shame, too, because I very much enjoyed the laid back style of Naxx and expected Ulduar to follow suit.
Agreed, and according to the blue posts this was their goal and intent. Sad that they missed the mark so drastically.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Mike G.E.D. said:
In the short time that Patch 3.1 has been available, I've seen about 5-6 guilds completely disintegrate after trying to seriously raid Ulduar. It's a real shame, too, because I very much enjoyed the laid back style of Naxx and expected Ulduar to follow suit.

It's been like...a week or so? How do Guilds fall apart within a week of a raid that proves to be a bit tougher?

Quake1028

firex said:
I'd just keep leveling and do instances as you go. If you're 71 you can easily do Nexus/UK, 72 can probably handle AN, and just keep going.

I'm a bubble from 73, and have done all of those. Don't think I'm ready for Old Kingdom yet. Sadly Magister's Terrace, Steam Vaults, Shadow Labs, Shattered Halls, etc. are dead on my server. I was just wondering if raiding or PVP would give me a boost in gear over what I can get from questing/instances.

Gloomfire said:
I don't think their intent was to make Ulduar casual, at all. At least that's not the vibe I got.

They turned AQ Bosses into regular mobs...
Ulduar is a huge wake up call for all the guilds that thought they were hot shit because they could do Naxx in two hours.
This is how I like the game though. I loved the challenge of being one of the first to try and do MC and BWL.
Honestly, I wish that Icecrown Citadel would be a 40 man instance again.

Tamanon

Banned
Gloomfire said:
I'm a bubble from 73, and have done all of those. Don't think I'm ready for Old Kingdom yet. Sadly Magister's Terrace, Steam Vaults, Shadow Labs, Shattered Halls, etc. are dead on my server. I was just wondering if raiding or PVP would give me a boost in gear over what I can get from questing/instances.

Not really, just gotta muscle through. Although you're ready for Azjol-Nerub definitely.

Magnus said:
So, how have all your guilds handled the Fragments that have dropped so far? Any wonderful drama stories?

We DKP out everything, so there's never any loot drama.
Which is a big change from older guilds I was in, where people would leave over BoE epics...

Magnus said:
So, how have all your guilds handled the Fragments that have dropped so far? Any wonderful drama stories?

Our healers just /rolled for it. I guess they already talked about it 'cause they said whoever got the first one would get the other pieces they would need to make the mace.

Oni Link 666 said:
Our healers just /rolled for it. I guess they already talked about it 'cause they said whoever got the first one would get the other pieces they would need to make the mace.

Though, how long do you think it'll take to get 40 of them?
I mean... geeze...

My guild runs with open rolls. But my guild also currently has 3 naxx10's, 2 naxx25's, 5 Ulduar10's and 2 Ulduar25's running this week. So it's easier to just open roll things.

Kyoufu said:
I'm first in line for the legendary mace but 40 of those fragments is.....well.....lame. I'll never get it :(

whats the drop rate on the fragments? 100%? It's a much better system then hoping and praying every week for something with like 2% drop chance

Magnus

AceBandage said:
Every guild that has survived for years still uses some form of DKP.
It works pretty good, especially if you have a good group of clear headed people that aren't look whores.

We've survived since late 2004 by abandoning DKP at the start of BC, and haven't looked back. :p

Mimiron is fun but we have a couple retards in the raid who keep fucking it up for us. We had p4 to about 20-30%, everything stable, then the MT stood in the laser barrage. Hopefully we'll get him first thing tomorrow night and get some work in on the general.

Kyoufu

funkmastergeneral said:
whats the drop rate on the fragments? 100%? It's a much better system then hoping and praying every week for something with like 2% drop chance

Yeah but the problem is you need like 40 of them plus you have to beat the last boss with special conditions or some shit. Its going to be a loooooong time before my guild can do that.

Kyoufu said:
Yeah but the problem is you need like 40 of them plus you have to beat the last boss with special conditions or some shit. Its going to be a loooooong time before my guild can do that.

But still, it's possible for you to do. I don't know how blizz handled BC legendaries, but I really like the system they have with the shards dropping like in level 60 naxx. While it took awhile to get all the shards necessary, it was something the whole guild worked together to get and didn't rely on nasty RNG (my warrior is still sitting on one TF binding :[

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom