• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Tamanon said:
The Scarlet Ruby market is weird. It fluctuates the most of any gem it seems. Some days you can only get 60-70g for them, some days you can start cracking 100g. I honestly think I've lost more in auction fees from misjudging them so now I just cut 'em to be Bold and get 90g every time.
The thing is, everytime I check, there never seems to be any. So when I put them up, they picked up straight away. Which reminds me, I need to pick up Runed Scarlet ruby design now that I'm finally Exalted with Kirin Tor! Better late than never! :lol

firex

I really should do more JC dailies to learn the odd forms I don't have, but I am so bored of killing proto drake whelps in howling fjord, random undead in zul'drak, iron dwarves in grizzly hills, or those weird boar/elk things in howling fjord/grizzly hills. I got like all the dps forms and that's fine for me.

I know I could just ask EJ, except if you look at their shaman forum it's basically all "hey guys, I have BiS gear, what do I do to min/max my performance?" threads, so what's a good way to gear up my resto offspec? I already have a few 78/80 boes from instances, plus if it's any good I can make the epic caster goggles (lol, they suck). I know there's good exalted rep stuff, but I'm more wondering what I can get doing normal instances before jumping into heroics. Or if I should just gear up enhance like a motherfucker and run heroics as dps, then use the rep/badges/cash money to gear up my resto offspec.

Tamanon

Banned
firex said:
I really should do more JC dailies to learn the odd forms I don't have, but I am so bored of killing proto drake whelps in howling fjord, random undead in zul'drak, iron dwarves in grizzly hills, or those weird boar/elk things in howling fjord/grizzly hills. I got like all the dps forms and that's fine for me.

I know I could just ask EJ, except if you look at their shaman forum it's basically all "hey guys, I have BiS gear, what do I do to min/max my performance?" threads, so what's a good way to gear up my resto offspec? I already have a few 78/80 boes from instances, plus if it's any good I can make the epic caster goggles (lol, they suck). I know there's good exalted rep stuff, but I'm more wondering what I can get doing normal instances before jumping into heroics. Or if I should just gear up enhance like a motherfucker and run heroics as dps, then use the rep/badges/cash money to gear up my resto offspec.

http://www.wowhead.com/?forums&topic=63934

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
firex said:

Part of the problem with the game is that the best resource for being good (EJ) can be difficult to use effectively because it's frequently balanced around relatively absurd assumptions; i.e. having full Tier sets or trinks that cost 5000g, etc.

Head:
Helm of the Lightning Halls - Bind on Equip
Battlemap Hide Helm H Utgarde Keep
Helm of the Majestic Stag - Kirin Tor Honored

Neck:
Lattice Choker of Light - 25 Emblems of Heroism
Titanium Spellshock Necklace - Crafted
Amulet of Dazzling Light - H Nexus

Shoulders:

Epaulets of Market Row - Bind on Equip
Mantle of the Tribunal - H Halls of Stone
Spaulders of the Violet Hold - H Violet Hold

Back:
Wispcloak Crafted
Shroud of Resurrection Utgarde Pinn Normal
Ancient Dragon Spirit Cape - H Oculus

Chest:
Robes of Crackling Flame Kirin Tor - Exalted
Dalronn's Jerkin HC Utgarde Keep
Revenant's Breastplate Crafted

Wrist:
Bands of Channeled Energy HC Nexus
Limb Regeneration Bracers HC DTK
Cuffs of Winged Levitation HC Oculus

Hands:
Grips of Fierce Pronouncements The Wyrmrest Accord - Exalted
Lightning-Charged Gloves HC Halls of Stone
Fiery Obelisk Handguards HC Old Kingdom

Waist:
Mail Girdle of the Audient Earth HC Halls of Lightning
Beadwork Belt of Shamanic Vision 40 Emblems of Heroism
Slad'ran's Coiled Cord HC Gundrak

Legs:
Kilt of Dark Mercy Knights of the Ebon Blade - Exalted
Skirt of the Old Kingdom HC Old Kingdom
Frozen Forest Kilt HC Nexus

Feet:
Sandals of Crimson Fury The Wyrmrest Accord - Exalted
Revenant's Treads Crafted
Cleric's Linen Shoes HC Nexus

Rings:
Band of Enchanted Growth HC Oculus
Titanium Spellshock Ring Crafted
Signet of Hopeful Light Argent Crusade - Exalted
Band of Guile HC The Culling of Stratholme

Trinkets:
Winged Talisman HC Halls of Lightning
Soul Preserver The Culling of Stratholme Normal
Spark of Life HC Halls of Stone
The Egg of Mortal Essence 40 Emblems of Heroism

2 Hand:
Staff of Draconic Combat HC Oculus
Staff of Wayward Principles HC UK
Staff of Sinister Claws HC Old Kingdom

1 Hand:
War Mace of Unrequited Love H Nexus
Titansteel Guardian - Crafted
Gavel of the Fleshcrafter - H The Culling of Stratholme

Off hand:

Zom's Crackling Bulwark - Bind on Equip (Expensive usually)
Protective Barricade of the Light - 35 Emblems of Heroism
Facade Shield of Glyphs - H Azjol-Nerub

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't believe there are still players that struggle to pass 2K DPS.

Sometimes it just boggles the mind. My favorite is when players do 1.4-1.7K in a heroic and insist gear is some kind of staggering cockblock.

Cipherr

rhfb said:
Crusader title GET!!!

Sucks I lose a bunch of money doing easy dailies now though :(

Thanks for the heads up, I had been wondering if I should hold off on that crusader title because it might lock me out of some of those overlapping daily quests. This solidifies it. Screw the title, Ill keep the easy dailies.

Scum

Angry Grimace said:

Sometimes it just boggles the mind. My favorite is when players do 1.4-1.7K in a heroic and insist gear is some kind of staggering cockblock.
I'm working on it. :p
I'm currently lurking between 1700DPS - 1800DPS at the mo, after my hull of goodies. :lol
I could do with a better wrist and head piece though and then enchants...I have my eye on the Azure Cloth Bindings from VH and the Cowl of the Dire Troll from Drak'Tharon Keep. Which, btw, I have to revisit, because for some bizarre reason last night, I never got the achievement for completing it for the first time even after beating the crap out of Prophet Tharon'ja. >.<

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I just spent every single cent I had across all my alts to buy every single abyss crystal on my server to try and corner the market - about 5000g.

Very risky, but no risk... no reward, I say. Fortune favors the bold.

I now own Abyss Crystals x 55 o.0

GDJustin

Son of Godzilla said:
what'd you pay for them about?

Err wait, you did this on your no start ah alt?

No, I did this on my "normal" bank alt.

I paid 75-90 for them, and relisted them for 109. The median price was probably 87.

Edit: An update - so far, 0 Crystals sold at 109 - but one dude has undercut me by putting up 2 at 108. Cue "I've made a huge mistake" gifs. :lol :lol

Seriously though, they have no deposit, and I'm a patient man. They'll all get sold at a profit sooner or later, I am confident.

Edit: Update 2: Five have now been sold at 109. Easiest ~90g I've ever made. Certainly is a high-stress game to play, though.

Puck

Banned
yeah, they will probably sell eventually.

i started up an accumulator alt (or main rather, as i'm not playing anything besides this level 1) and i've gone from 15c from vendoring to 40g in 2 days. I've used auctioneer vendor search to get buyouts / bids while begging people for money, i generally am outbid on my bids, but the begging is going well. first day i whispered people asking for 1s and a few replied by giving me 1g or 50s, and yesterday i was asked for 1g and 2 people gave me 10g instead!

levelling looks to be pretty painful without the heirloom items now.

GDJustin

Puck said:
yeah, they will probably sell eventually.

i started up an accumulator alt (or main rather, as i'm not playing anything besides this level 1) and i've gone from 15c from vendoring to 40g in 2 days. I've used auctioneer vendor search to get buyouts / bids while begging people for money, i generally am outbid on my bids, but the begging is going well. first day i whispered people asking for 1s and a few replied by giving me 1g or 50s, and yesterday i was asked for 1g and 2 people gave me 10g instead!

levelling looks to be pretty painful without the heirloom items now.

You can set up an auctioneer filter so that the "bid" option only comes up on items with a specific amount of time left. I set it to only show "bid" for items with 2 hrs or less left. That prevents the constant stream of outbids that will happen to you, otherwise.

Tamanon

Banned
Huh, got my first lockbox from the fishing daily. Got the Spirit Stormjewel, 2 other gems, 2 greens and some gold. Definitely worth it since the stormjewels are selling from 500g-1kg on my server.:D

So I decide to screw around on my 80 mage, who I sadly abandoned for my priest who does much more damage *AND* can heal in a pinch.....and it's good to see that Blizzard is at least consistent. I've had this mage at least 3 years now, and about 20% of the time whenever I blink, I STILL either don't go anywhere or blink backwards. Some things will never change.

Tamanon said:
Huh, got my first lockbox from the fishing daily. Got the Spirit Stormjewel, 2 other gems, 2 greens and some gold. Definitely worth it since the stormjewels are selling from 500g-1kg on my server.:D

So I decide to screw around on my 80 mage, who I sadly abandoned for my priest who does much more damage *AND* can heal in a pinch.....and it's good to see that Blizzard is at least consistent. I've had this mage at least 3 years now, and about 20% of the time whenever I blink, I STILL either don't go anywhere or blink backwards. Some things will never change.
hmm my priest is still sitting at 70 untouched, have a shaman at 80 for healing already, and 80 hunter for DPS, it worth it leveling him?

Angry Grimace said:

So you're one of those douche bags, too. I do about 1800 dps on my priest in mostly healing gear, and i hate when people give me shit for it. Ok, I'm not the worlds best WoW player, it doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.

Kyoufu

Yeah who cares about heroics dps? The only time it actually matters is on Timed CoS runs, otherwise WHO THE FUCK CARES.

One thing I hate more than DPS meter douchebags is healing meter douchebags. God damn that shit is so irrelevant (especially as a disc priest) it makes me want to cry.

firex

looking at that list, I've already got a couple of those boes (won helm of the lightning halls and epaulets of market row), and I guess I'll get some rep gear too. Wyrmrest's mace should be ok until I get an epic of some kind (knowing my luck, probably TS guardian), and there are a few quest rewards I think I can get to keep my gear around ilevel 175 stuff. Although I still think I might stick with the "gear up enhance like hell, then take unwanted drops for offspec or buy badge loot" approach, at least for a little while.
edit: I forgot, I have grips of the warming heart, too. so I guess some of the stuff I need I can get just with some rep grinding.

also I'm sure it's tougher to figure out how to do dps, or to do it without an ideal set when it's not your main spec. on my paladin I can do about 2500 in 10man raids pretty easily now, around 2k with no buffs. it's hard to gauge my dps with only self buffs, because I only have those while soloing, and stuff there doesn't last long enough to get an accurate idea of what my sustainable dps is. Now that I've more or less re-learned the ret rotation I'm a lot better, plus I finally got rid of my last green, so everything I have is ilevel 200 for the most part.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
So you're one of those douche bags, too. I do about 1800 dps on my priest in mostly healing gear, and i hate when people give me shit for it. Ok, I'm not the worlds best WoW player, it doesn't mean you have to be a dick about it.
Relax :lol

I'm not saying it's the most important thing in the universe, and I don't give people shit about it in game, I just don't understand how people show up doing 800-1200 DPS (Hunters, even!). It's not a matter of gear most of the time. It only takes like 10 minutes to look up what to do on EJ.

I specc'd my GF's tree as a Moonkin for the first time and it only took me like 20 minutes to spec and figure out how to pump out 2500. It's not a matter of min/maxing/best player ever; it's a matter of looking up what procs/spells you should be using.

Tamanon

Banned
Heroic dps is skewed for some classes since there's so many garbage pulls where AE dps classes can pump up their numbers. Shadow Priests especially excel on bosses since we have so many dots and our one AE spell kinda is flat.

Kyoufu

Tamanon said:
Heroic dps is skewed for some classes since there's so many garbage pulls where AE dps classes can pump up their numbers. Shadow Priests especially excel on bosses since we have so many dots and our one AE spell kinda is flat.

As a shadow priest, my DPS suffers if I can't AoE :(

By the time I get any dots on a mob its usually almost dead. Meh, I prefer DPSing as other classes for heroics.

Angry Grimace

Tamanon said:
I'll grant you that.

My DK has two specs; Frost for AE and Unholy for Bosses.

I think some guys were taking what I was saying a bit too seriously; I wasn't trying to imply everyone has to be an expert (I know I'm not), I just am saying that from the 4 classes I've played around with with at 80, none of them were amazingly difficult to do adequately.

Tamanon

Banned
Apparently the Wintergrasp Dailies were changed to Weeklies on the PTR. Now each quest gives ~4k honor and 10 shards. Blizz is wanting to cut down on the number of folks involved in every battle it seems.

Heroic Freya down.........I logged on late after the guild had a few attempts.......one shotted it when I joined the group :p

What do you all do for heroic Thorim? How many in the gauntlet and how do you deal with the arena?

GDJustin said:
No, I did this on my "normal" bank alt.

I paid 75-90 for them, and relisted them for 109. The median price was probably 87.

Edit: An update - so far, 0 Crystals sold at 109 - but one dude has undercut me by putting up 2 at 108. Cue "I've made a huge mistake" gifs. :lol :lol

Seriously though, they have no deposit, and I'm a patient man. They'll all get sold at a profit sooner or later, I am confident.

Edit: Update 2: Five have now been sold at 109. Easiest ~90g I've ever made. Certainly is a high-stress game to play, though.
List a couple for 109 or higher and then undercut yourself with an alt, if you are wanting to sell em faster.

Lain

Angry Grimace said:

Lag plays a hand in this imho. Might sound a bit silly, but when I'm playing a melee DPS, many times I have my skills usable but hitting them I get the game telling me I'm oor or not facing the right way, when I have the mob ringht on my face and in range on my screen, which wastes precious time and lowers the overall DPS you're putting out.

Angry Grimace

Lain said:
Lag plays a hand in this imho. Might sound a bit silly, but when I'm playing a melee DPS, many times I have my skills usable but hitting them I get the game telling me I'm oor or not facing the right way, when I have the mob ringht on my face and in range on my screen, which wastes precious time and lowers the overall DPS you're putting out.
Oh man, teh worst is a twitchy tank that moves the boss out of melee range for a TG Fury Warrior.

firex

I can't stand twitchy tanks, either. I always try to reposition bosses if necessary, but when I'm tanking, I don't move the boss from where I'm supposed to tank it, unless I'm afraid it'll tail whip the raid or something.

Macattk15

3 hours of attempts on Yogg Saron 25 last night. Got a good hold on Phase 1 .... we always got overwhelmed by tentacles. Both the Crushers and the Corruptors.

We always had the ranged hammering down the Crushers. Melee on the Corruptors when we weren't inside the brain room killing tentacles (holy christ at the lich king illusion on 25 man .... the skulls pew pew you from EVERYWHERE ... no safe place to turn it seemed).

The Crushers weren't dying fast enough ... and with all the in / out of the portals ... Corruptors seemed like they weren't dying at all. I think the problem is not clearing out the tentacles in the illusion rooms fast enough honestly. It would take up to 40 seconds (rare ... usually around 25-30) to kill them all and get onto the brain.

We got him as low as 34% in our attempts ... but even if we made it to phase 3 at that point ... there were far far too many tentacles up.

Any ideas from people that have done this fight? (We've done it on 10 man quite easily .... there is just so many more tentacles with much higher hp in 25 man). We go into phase 2 with 1-2 adds up usually so that is not a huge problem.

CassSept

Angry Grimace said:
About the same as the frozen orbs, about 75g, on my server.

Unless you cut them into Bold Scarlets, in which case they are 90g.
Seriously? Damn, they are already down to under 50g on my server :/
Frozen Orbs are around 40-50g, but it's still better to just turn your emblems into gems.

Also, /flex. After hours of retarded lags we finally killed Iron Council on hard mode. Pretty fun fight. Also later I've finally got my first t8.5 item, took forever but well, I have over 50 emblems so next reset I'll get head.

@Macattk15: NUUUUUKE. Seriously. You have to kill tentacles inside brain room in 20 or so seconds (don't know exact time, that's how much we usually kill them), otherwise new crusher tentacle will spawn. If you get the stun fast enough range just nukes crusher down, and then can damage some Corrupters. We sometimes have maybe one corrupter at the beginning of third phase, but usually it's cleaned out.
2 adds at the beginning of second phase is nothing to be afraid of - we usually have also 2, but they die before first tentacles spawn.
A lot is dependent on melee in this fight, so remember to maximise it (8 melee can go into portals). We usually nuke down to 65% on first enter into brain, 40-45% on second and after third we get to third phase.
The fight isn't really too hard, but if second tentacle spawns before stun you are screwed and can just wipe it tbh.

Macattk15

CassSept said:
@Macattk15: NUUUUUKE. Seriously. You have to kill tentacles inside brain room in 20 or so seconds (don't know exact time, that's how much we usually kill them), otherwise new crusher tentacle will spawn. If you get the stun fast enough range just nukes crusher down, and then can damage some Corrupters. We sometimes have maybe one corrupter at the beginning of third phase, but usually it's cleaned out.
2 adds at the beginning of second phase is nothing to be afraid of - we usually have also 2, but they die before first tentacles spawn.
A lot is dependent on melee in this fight, so remember to maximise it (8 melee can go into portals). We usually nuke down to 65% on first enter into brain, 40-45% on second and after third we get to third phase.
The fight isn't really too hard, but if second tentacle spawns before stun you are screwed and can just wipe it tbh.

10 portals open right? Do you send in 8 melee and 2 healers ..... or 9 melee and 1 healer? I think we were doing it with 9 melee in and 1 healer.

He was complaining about LoS in some of the rooms ... and the Lich King room is an utter fuckfest of Skulls ... it seems like you cannot turn any which way to be safe in that room.

Kyoufu

Weenerz said:
Blizzard is making the Wintergrasp quests weekly quests now, don't know how I feel about that change.

Seriously? Are they attempting to fix the lag by giving people less of a reason to do WG? :lol

TomServo

GDJustin said:
I just spent every single cent I had across all my alts to buy every single abyss crystal on my server to try and corner the market - about 5000g.

Very risky, but no risk... no reward, I say. Fortune favors the bold.

I now own Abyss Crystals x 55 o.0

Not trying to dash your dreams, but 55 is hardly cornering the market. Personally I've got around 20-30 sitting in my bank waiting for my alt to level up to 80 and need them. The gbank has god only knows how many to cover enchants on our raiding mains, and if we ever run low we do a quick Naxx clear and pull in ~60.

Weenerz said:
Blizzard is making the Wintergrasp quests weekly quests now, don't know how I feel about that change.

I'm glad, personally.
Less server resources dedicated to that waste of PvP.
It should have been its own server like all the other BGs.

Tamanon

Banned
Kyoufu said:
Seriously? Are they attempting to fix the lag by giving people less of a reason to do WG? :lol

They're making the rewards much more for one run through of the quests. They're trying to fix the lag by spreading the population out over the week.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Tamanon said:
They're making the rewards much more for one run through of the quests. They're trying to fix the lag by spreading the population out over the week.

Might work, Might not. I know I'm doing it as often as I can for badges for the trinkets and deadly gear so I don't have to spend the honor on it, Then I will eventually just buy the honor token.

WG is a lot of honor for not a lot of work.

CassSept

Macattk15 said:
10 portals open right? Do you send in 8 melee and 2 healers ..... or 9 melee and 1 healer? I think we were doing it with 9 melee in and 1 healer.

He was complaining about LoS in some of the rooms ... and the Lich King room is an utter fuckfest of Skulls ... it seems like you cannot turn any which way to be safe in that room.
10 portals? Damn, I've always thought there were 9:lol
We do it 8 melee + healer, it's enough for the fight. Skulls, well. Yeah, Lich King vision is the worst, but tentacles die in few seconds anyway so it's not really a problem tbh

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
sprsk said:
I do about 1300DPS in Heroic gear.

I dunno why it's so low, maybe I just need to go frostfire.

You should try Arcane. I do over 3000 dps in T7 gear with 2-3 items of higher lvl. Surely you can do at least 2k with heroic gear.

Weenerz

Banned
People on my server don't run WG for the daily quests usually, they do WG 5-6 times a day because you get so much honor and the WG tokens are useful. The quest change isn't that big of a deal now that I think about it.

Macattk15

CassSept said:
10 portals? Damn, I've always thought there were 9:lol
We do it 8 melee + healer, it's enough for the fight. Skulls, well. Yeah, Lich King vision is the worst, but tentacles die in few seconds anyway so it's not really a problem tbh

I'm not sure on the exact number of portals ... the strats I have read suggest 10 ... but I dont actually count them. Yeah that Lich King room is quite retardo.

Our main problem is not getting the tentacles down in the brain room. Our healer in the room had the bright idea that we all go one direction ... start left and then go clockwise around.

I consistently fought him saying there is no way we'd be able to kill the tentacles fast if we did it this way ... no one listened unfortunately and we kept failing and having a million tentacles up outside when we got out.

Angry Grimace

sprsk said:
I do about 1300DPS in Heroic gear.

I dunno why it's so low, maybe I just need to go frostfire.
http://elitistjerks.com/f75/t42876-arcane_thread/

There's a lot of data in there, but read it for 15 minutes and you should see your DPS go up by a lot.

I strongly recommend Miks Scrolling Battle Text; the pop up indicators for procs are amazing for Level 80 characters since getting the most of most classes requires watching random procs.

CassSept

Macattk15 said:
I'm not sure on the exact number of portals ... the strats I have read suggest 10 ... but I dont actually count them. Yeah that Lich King room is quite retardo.

Our main problem is not getting the tentacles down in the brain room. Our healer in the room had the bright idea that we all go one direction ... start left and then go clockwise around.

I consistently fought him saying there is no way we'd be able to kill the tentacles fast if we did it this way ... no one listened unfortunately and we kept failing and having a million tentacles up outside when we got out.
Tell him that he is an idiot then :p We don't set who goes where, it's pretty FFA, but if brain room is where you have problem you should probably divide which melee goes to which tentacles. You HAVE TO kill them asap or you will wipe. You can use bloodlust on first brain phase if it's your main problem*. If you don't, new crusher will spawn and you are fucked. If you do, all tentacles are stunned for ~40 seconds, spawn of crusher is delayed and you can go on. Then third phase, which is so so fun as melee :p One of most dynamic fights + EPIC music. Win.

*Basically there is this thing with bloodlust - when it's used outside whole raid gets bloodlust, BUT if you use it inside brain only people there get it, and those outside not. This way melee gets bl when they most need it (we bring brain down to 66%, or even less, on first brain phase), and ranged can still get it for third phase when they nuke boss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom