• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I'm leaning towards these builds:

Unholy DPS: 0/10/61 I might take 2 points out of Necrosis and put 1 in Ghoul Frenzy and 1 in Wandering Plague.

Unholy PVP: 0/17/54

I'm in full Savage Saronite Battlegear and have De-Raged Waraxe as my weapon.

firex

There are tons, and I mean tons, of super ignorant people in WoW who expect someone to join a Naxx 10 raiding guild with gear that way surpasses Naxx 10. Looking at your armory, I really, seriously see nothing on it that's "bad" except that exalted robe, which as you said, is just a placeholder. You aren't hit capped, so I guess I would go for that, but as long as you reach the 14% hit cap including 3% from talents, you'll be fine. So you really just need more hit until you reach 11%.

I'm a little surprised your professions are so low. Skinning would at least get you some more crit if you built it up, but at that low level, you could always drop both professions for something else.

Alex

If youre reading EJ, you'll probably out DPS most of any starter guild by default. What you need is a purple highlighter to trace over those blue names with in order to appease the stupids.

Tamanon

Banned
Gloomfire said:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Smolderthorn&n=Lateran

According to EJ, my gear (except shoulder and back) is on or equivalent to the gear on their list for best non-raid gear. I messaged someone looking for Naxx 10 ready players for their guild for shits and giggles to see what they would say and they responded ":lol , your gear needs a ton of work". Am I missing something here?

Nah, some folks are morons. You've got plenty of gear for a Naxx 10 man.

Quake1028

BTW, I'm pretty proud of how (relatively I guess) cheaply I had my Spellshock Ring made.

Dragon's Eye (4) - 300g
Frozen Orb - Free
Titanium Bar (2) - 14.5g
Eternal Air (4) - 23g
Eternal Water (4) - 15.5g

353g total and I tipped 25g so 378g all told. Not bad, huh? Where I saved the most obviously was using the Frozen Orb I won from an instance and getting a good deal on the DE. The cheapest on the AH when I bought them were 89g each.

What do these mats prices look like compared to your server?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Gloomfire said:

According to EJ, my gear (except shoulder and back) is on or equivalent to the gear on their list for best non-raid gear. I messaged someone looking for Naxx 10 ready players for their guild for shits and giggles to see what they would say and they responded ":lol , your gear needs a ton of work". Am I missing something here?

You really need to be hit-capped before joining raids. If you're gemming for spellpower when you're under hit-cap, I wouldn't take you either.

Edit: Dude was still a dick though. You'd have pulled your weight in naxx10. I'm just sayin... get your priorities in order. Before thinking any more thoughts about spellpower haste or crit, gear up for hit.

Edit2: I would take all your +14SP gems and replace them with +16 hit. That's 48 more hit right there. The +19SP you might as well leave, since they're more expensive. I would also at least get SOME form of cheapy enchant on the rest of your gear pieces:

http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Smolderthorn&name=Lateran

I'm still using a BC enchant on my head piece, because it's the only one offering hit...

Gloomfire said:
BTW, I'm pretty proud of how (relatively I guess) cheaply I had my Spellshock Ring made.

Dragon's Eye (4) - 300g
Frozen Orb - Free
Titanium Bar (2) - 14.5g
Eternal Air (4) - 23g
Eternal Water (4) - 15.5g

353g total and I tipped 25g so 378g all told. Not bad, huh? Where I saved the most obviously was using the Frozen Orb I won from an instance and getting a good deal on the DE. The cheapest on the AH when I bought them were 89g each.

What do these mats prices look like compared to your server?
I paid 525 without a second thought. What you are forgetting is that no matter how well of a bargain you get on each item, constructing an item means you consume the average price of the mats. Opportunity costs, yo. Those DE's for instance would have been very easy to resell. Same for the Orb.

I've thrown down a fucking bankroll for my warlock when it hit 80. Titansteel Spellblade, one of the Insc offhands, wintry hat, entire frostsavage set, spellshock ring and neck, and the blue jc ring. Probably going to nab some ebonweave gloves too.

Not sure if I wanna nuke 60 valors on the bracers, but I might. I've got mixed feelings, I've got like ~120 valors and ~15 heroes. Would like to get a heirloom offhand for my rogue and one of the trinkets. I just spent my wintergrasp stuff for honor on warlock too, so no dice there.

firex

I might get caster heirlooms sometime, but I don't know. It feels a little stupid to get caster heirlooms when I haven't even finished leveling up my shaman or warrior alts. I guess I'll get the shaman to 80 first, get him geared up for enhance and resto, then buy shoulders and the staff and the caster trinket with emblems later. Then I could level up my priest and mage alts easily, and maybe a fresh warlock alt if I wanted. I've already got the haste trinket, so I could go dual trinkets and have very little downtime. I just think about how many emblems that is and almost cringe, but then I don't really need to buy much emblem gear on my shaman. dps and caster belt, healer neck, healer shield and that's about it. Maybe the offhand fist weapon, but I will be hit capped at 80 with a trinket upgrade and some new gear, so my epic weapons can be something else.

Quake1028

GDJustin said:
You really need to be hit-capped before joining raids. If you're gemming for spellpower when you're under hit-cap, I wouldn't take you either.

Edit: Dude was still a dick though. You'd have pulled your weight in naxx10. I'm just sayin... get your priorities in order. Before thinking any more thoughts about spellpower haste or crit, gear up for hit.

Edit2: I would take all your +14SP gems and replace them with +16 hit. That's 48 more hit right there. The +19SP you might as well leave, since they're more expensive. I would also at least get SOME form of cheapy enchant on the rest of your gear pieces:

http://www.wow-heroes.com/index.php?zone=us&server=Smolderthorn&name=Lateran

I'm still using a BC enchant on my head piece, because it's the only one offering hit...

Is it worth it to replace them with +16 hit and lose their respective socket bonuses? If not, I found orange gems that are +9SP and +8H. That would get me an additional 24 hit and not lose the socket bonuses. You tell me.

GDJustin

Gloomfire said:
Is it worth it to replace them with +16 hit and lose their respective socket bonuses? If not, I found orange gems that are +9SP and +8H. That would get me an additional 24 hit and not lose the socket bonuses. You tell me.

It depends on how far away from hit cap you are, and IDK enough about your class and your talents to tell you. All I know for certain is that when you're UNDER hit-cap, every single point of hit adds more to your DPS than a point in any other stat.

If you can get to hit-cap by gemming orange hit/SP gems, eating hit food, and drinking a hit flask, that would be an acceptable solution for now. If food/flasks still don't get you there, then I'd start gemming Yellow hit gems in those red slots, in the reverse order of socket bonus importance (ie probably losing the stam socket bonus first).

Socket bonus's are often not worth the effort.

I had to carry a stack of hit food and eat it after every wipe to exceed cap for quite a while when I first entered raids, so don't feel bad about it. You'll be doing more than most DPS in the group, most likely.

It can become a complicated issue very quickly, however. Quick example: to keep your socket bonus's, you do what I outlined above. Orange gems, hit food & hit flask. By doing that, you're then missing out on the big SP flask and SP food bonuses. So if all-yellow gems would push you over hit-cap, yeah you lose all your socket bonuses, but you're gaining ~130SP in a way, because you can then drink a Flask of the Frost Wyrm instead of the hit flask.

Lain

Better to be hit capped than gaining some socket bonuses.
I'd suggest to change that haste trinket myself (it doesn't proc on spellcasts, right?). PvP some if you must and get Battlemaster's Alacrity or Titan-forged Rune of Accuracy. You can get 2.9% hit from wearing one of them which would bring you to only need another 2.1% hit to be capped.

firex

You only need 0.55% hit to be hit capped for raids with your talents. I would use the RatingBuster addon to be sure what 16 hit amounts to at 80. And yeah, drop your first trinket asap. It's pretty crappy. Run H-Halls of Stone and get the haste trinket from there, or H-Oculus (if possible) and get the awesome caster trinket from there, or just buy Sundial of the Exalted.

Buy these shoulders on the AH and put a 16 hit gem in them: http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=37196

I'm pretty sure that would put you at the hit cap, but it might leave you a few % short, in which case you can drop the 19 SP gem in your belt for a +9 SP +8 hit gem.

Son of Godzilla said:
What the hell is a mage casting that's so important to be hit-capped?

I hope this is a joke. +hit is extremely important, if you're not hitting bosses then you're not doing any damage. On my priest I am only about halfway to being hit capped (shadow offspec) and my dps suffers a lot from it, as so many spells are resisted.

Lain

Well, considering you can't miss once you're at the hit cap, even 0.5% off is too much imho, because then you have, even if little, a chance to miss which brings down your DPS.

Tamanon

Banned
Son of Godzilla said:
Half of 16% or whatever is a problem, sure. But ya'll are griefing the guy over .5% hit. I'd say the biggest problem his gear has is no meta gem.

Who's griefing him? he asked for help on getting into raids, hit cap is the most important stat there for getting in, if you're not hit-capped then folks can more easily justify turning you away. That's all.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=41984 would probably solve all issues with the gear and assuage concerns.

firex

Gloomfire said:

Please tell me that has to do it. I won an auction on a bid for the Rigid Autumn's Glow for 6g 75s. Normal sell price on my server is 30g. If this does it, I can sell the ones I bought earlier for 20g a piece and make some money back.

BTW, I looked into buying the mantle yesterday, but it was on the AH for like 175g. Today one magically appears for 49g :lol .
You're hit capped now as long as there's a balance druid/shadow priest in the raid. Now you can collect other hit gear, but just keep it as a backup set for if you do raid and there's no spriest/moonkin.

firex

3% from their talents. If you do a 25 man raid, you will more than likely have that 3% hit covered. It's just 10 mans and 5 mans where you probably won't.

Tamanon

Banned
Druids are just a pain to level until you get to 20 and get cat form, that's all.

And Enchanting can be expensive as fuck to level, especially when you hit certain plateaus.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I have 161 hit on my mage, with same spec as gloom.

I never miss spells and I am always pretty high on the DPS meters if not top few spots. So I really don't get the importance.

I have done Naxx 10/25, OS 10/25, Eye 25, VoA 10/25, all the Heroics etc

I have not been in Uldaar yet, maybe it will matter more there.

In fact, the only time I ever "missed" recently was on an MC run we did for kicks.

EDIT...

THIS : http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=7475660772&sid=1

Awesome thread on Mage hit capping. Very clearly explained.

Alex

Fireball/TTW is the primary DPS spec for Mage in Ulduar, and you will feel every ounce of hit you are missing, sadly.

Of course, on the plus side for those under cap, Ulduar gear is completely caked in +hit, it's actually really annoying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Mr Pockets said:
I have 161 hit on my mage, with same spec as gloom.

I never miss spells and I am always pretty high on the DPS meters if not top few spots. So I really don't get the importance.

I have done Naxx 10/25, OS 10/25, Eye 25, VoA 10/25, all the Heroics etc

I have not been in Uldaar yet, maybe it will matter more there.

In fact, the only time I ever "missed" recently was on an MC run we did for kicks.

EDIT...

THIS : http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=7475660772&sid=1

Awesome thread on Mage hit capping. Very clearly explained.
Well, that's not really informative enough to say; any thing including trash or adds is less relevant because the level of mobs that aren't skull level are 82, and the miss rate is only 5% (vs. 17% against skulled mobs). It's not really informative enough to say, "I only have 5% hit and never miss" because a) it's not relevant at all against non-raidboss mobs, b) it doesn't tell us whether you're raiding with the benefit of improved Faerie Fire or Misery, or c) whether you're getting Heroic Presence/other buffs.

I really can't see how you're going to argue that maintaining 10% missrate in general is not a clear cut DPS loss.

GDJustin

The bottom line is that every point of hit (when a caster is under hit cap) adds more to their overall DPS than a point in SP, haste, crit, or any other stat.

...that should be all anyone needs to hear, really.

Every DPS class/spec has a stat "priority" based on how much that stat will improve their DPS. And hit is the #1 stat for every single DPS spec in the game, until you hit cap and no longer miss.

If you're under hit cap and "almost never" miss and have high DPS, like the mage above was claiming, even if that's true (and I doubt it), the fact is adding more hit would up your DPS more than adding more crit or SP.

It's just math. *shrug*

Edit: Gloomfire, look at this chart to see how much Hit you need:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Spell_hit

usea

GDJustin said:
Every DPS class/spec has a stat "priority" based on how much that stat will improve their DPS. And hit is the #1 stat for every single DPS spec in the game, until you hit cap and no longer miss.
Not quite true. Feral (cat) Druids actually gain more dps from at least agility and armor pen than hit, since they get decent energy refund on missed specials and white damage is a relatively low percentage of their damage. Every cat model supports this, including rawr. My druid is like 140 hit rating under the cap, but I'd lose dps by swapping my agility gems to hit gems (regardless of socket bonus).

Macattk15

Leveling my rogue is pretty fun when you're able to give him the bind on account stuff.

If only I could move my warrior ( http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Sicar ) to a separate account .... WTB Polearm from Vezax.

How I'd kill to be able to run my alts through the low level instances .... Anyway this is my Rogue .... coming along nicely.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Hematoma

And I'll second that +hit is pretty much the BEST stat for any class if you're below the cap until you get to the cap where it becomes useless.

TomServo

Gloomfire said:
BTW, how expensive is it to level Enchanting as a profession?

Very. You can run through old world stuff to get plenty of mats up to 300, but getting from 300 to 350 is extremely painful.

Not much of a money maker either, at least on my server. Folks are so damn cheap (I had a guy expect me to do a level 450 enchant for free) that every other enchanter has turned to buying cheap greens from the AH and DE'ing them in hopes of selling the mats.

If I did it over again I'd do alchemy. You get the extra stat bonus from flasks that an enchanter gets from the ring enchants, but it's cheaper to level and you get the double flask duration to boot.

Disenchanting has always been the moneymaker of enchanting. Sitting on top the bank and spamming trade chat is such a waste of time. The only real reason to level ench are the ring stuff and to help out friends/guild.

VaLiancY

ss3.jpg

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Xabora said:
Its quite awesome too.

But I predict druids are going to be a shitton more popular now. :lol

That's great, we always need more tanks & healers. :lol

Though, they will probably all go ferals until new forms for moonkins and trees are release in 3.3 or whatever patch it will be.

Wow, epic server downtime. Blizz really rolling around in the fail for such a minor patch.

On a related note, I hate guilds retarded enough to schedule raids on Tuesdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom