• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToddG15

I’m going to start RAF tomorrow with a buddy. I plan to create a warrior (never played melee before) and was looking for a few tips. I have a ton of stone keeper shards (about 550) and emblems of valor (about 100) on my main, what are the best heirloom items to pick up for a warrior? Any tips on the best leveling build?

I’ve done RAF before with my main, so I know how ridiculously fast 1-60 will go, so I’m more interested in items/builds that will be the most beneficial from 50+.

Thanks!

zam

ToddG15 said:
I’m going to start RAF tomorrow with a buddy. I plan to create a warrior (never played melee before) and was looking for a few tips. I have a ton of stone keeper shards (about 550) and emblems of valor (about 100) on my main, what are the best heirloom items to pick up for a warrior? Any tips on the best leveling build?

I’ve done RAF before with my main, so I know how ridiculously fast 1-60 will go, so I’m more interested in items/builds that will be the most beneficial from 50+.

Thanks!
Get the shoulders for, BoA Arcanite Reaper, and trinket if you still have emblems/shards left over.

Macattk15

BigJonsson said:
Had a very good night tonight

Downed FL, Razor, Ignis, XT, Kola, Auriaya, hodir and Thorim

All one shots except a 3 shot on Thorim for our 2nd time downing him

I picked up the T8.5 helm for almost min DKP since everyone else used their emblems for it already haha, that allowed me to use my emblems for a new belt and to wear Uld-25 shoulders instead of the T8 ones I had and still maintain 4 pc t8.5 :)

Upgraded my stats very nicely, now the 7th or 10th best geared rogue on Eredar

Heh always fun to be near the top geared on the server .... I'm the top geared DPS warrior .... from either faction and I get a lot of tells like "omg I saw your gear on wowheroes, wtbbbbbbbbbbbb". Gets a little annoying after a while especially when people constantly ask you for money or something.

Quake1028

Angry Grimace said:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129 <--- 95 hit rating

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42130 <--- 95 Haste

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42132 <--- 110 Spell Power

:)

Good stop gaps if you do not PvP and want something with SOME PvE value. I have one on my DK, as I wanted something with some AP to free up my Dragon's Eye's to use elsewhere. The on use health is more useful than you'd think in certain places.

Also, you can get shoulder and head enchants with Spell Power and resil on them. ONLY buy those with SK Shards if you don't have enough rep yet for the regular PvE ones from Kirin Tor/Sons of Hodir.

Would you recommend any/all of those over Sundial of the Exiled? Sundial seems like it would be more useful in PVE situations to me. Let me know what you think.

ToddG15 said:

Thanks!

Get a level 80 on a third account and instance run yourself from 10-60. When I RAF'd, I arrived at 60 with white and grey items from the starter area quests. Also, Heirloom item xp bonuses do not stack with the RAF bonus.

ToddG15

keeblerdrow said:
Get a level 80 on a third account and instance run yourself from 10-60. When I RAF'd, I arrived at 60 with white and grey items from the starter area quests. Also, Heirloom item xp bonuses do not stack with the RAF bonus.
Yes, I realize heirloom item xp does not stack with RAF (the xp bonus is for 60+), which is why I specifically mentioned the wanting more input for the level 50+ range.

And thanks for the tip on instance runs - that's how I leveled my previous toon with RAF and I plan on doing that again. Do you have any recommendations on which instances to run, at what levels for Alliance? Curious how my strategy of instances to run would compare to someone else who has done RAF instance runs.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ToddG15 said:

Thanks!
Warrior sucks.

Don't do it!

:lol

I never play my 80 Warrior anymore :lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Gloomfire said:
Would you recommend any/all of those over Sundial of the Exiled? Sundial seems like it would be more useful in PVE situations to me. Let me know what you think.
They are not better than Sundial of the Exiled. The SP one is better than Mark of the War Prisoner if you are hit capped otherwise.

rhfb said:
Do enhancement until Outlands, the gear for elemental sucks in vanilla. Enhancement is also super fast to level.

Do you have any suggestions or links for a leveling build? I've been flying through as elemental and can't imagine killing stuff much quicker.

Angry Grimace

LAUGHTREY said:
I'm doing 1.3dps on my 73 paladin. you're doing something wrong.
Well, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's more a matter that he wasn't instancing from 70-80, which is where it gets really important. I've always felt that players that simply skip the last 10 levels of instances come to 80 unprepared for grouping. Ironically, grouping is why they level to 80!

I wasn't trying to be so blunt about it, but I was doing 1.2K in regular UK at 71 (although granted that was back when DW DK was still viable).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
ss4.jpg

Pink cat wooooo

firex

funkmastergeneral said:
Do you have any suggestions or links for a leveling build? I've been flying through as elemental and can't imagine killing stuff much quicker.
Something like this http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hVhhVZ0xxIoxdIhusRuVo:dfwMzm although you might want to find a way to fit in 3/3 enhancing totems at 80, but that's a pure group/raid talent. Actually, if your raid has a frost DK in it you can do 2/3 static shock and drop improved wf for 3/3 enhancing totems, as buffed str totem is better than horn of winter.
Although really, you can do ok leveling as elemental even now. It's just that it doesn't have as much easy gear to scale from like enhance does.

Angry Grimace

A friend of mine ran my 58 priest (non-rested) through Ramps on his druid since his guild had to cancel ulduar for a lack of participation this week.

Holy fucking shit.

I couldn't believe it. 2 levels in 45 min :lol

I didn't realize that killing shit was that profitable. I have 2 accounts, but it takes so much longer to run myself that its not worth it. The 2nd one is my GF's but she will NOT run me through shit no matter what :lol

Chris R

funkmastergeneral said:
This is just what I used.

30 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZ0xxsoxz
40 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZ0xxIoxzIoz
50 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZ0xxIoxzIouRRz
60 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZ0xxIoxzIousRuVo
70 http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hV0hZ0xxIoxzIhusRuVo

0 downtime EVER (if you need mana, switch from lightning shield to mana, pop a heal and go fight the next mob) and you get some sweet ass burst damage, not to mention that when you do get to outlands if you dont switch you won't have ANY problem soloing any of the group 2/3 quests. I only did HFP, Zanga and Nagrand, but I was able to do the entire thing with only grouping once (Ring of Blood).

Angry Grimace said:
Well, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's more a matter that he wasn't instancing from 70-80, which is where it gets really important. I've always felt that players that simply skip the last 10 levels of instances come to 80 unprepared for grouping. Ironically, grouping is why they level to 80!

I wasn't trying to be so blunt about it, but I was doing 1.2K in regular UK at 71 (although granted that was back when DW DK was still viable).
I think I'd rather compare my dps to a DK fighting a heroic trianing dummy.

A guy in my guild in heroic naxx gear does 2.5k dps on the heroic training dummy. 3.2k in a 10man.

(He has 3062 attack power, 29.08% crit, 326 hit compared to my 2377 AP, 16% crit, 226 hit)

So no, I don't think I'm doing much wrong.

I'm finding places online that say you only need about 1.8k dps in 10man naxx. So, IMO, people seem to want over geared people to have cake walk runs in these elitist days.

Macattk15

ToddG15 said:
lol. What melee class would you recommend then?

Warriors do not suck, the guy was probably just a tank which makes it as boring as any other tank .... let alone one of the "worse off" tanks in WotLK.

Warrior is one of the only classes that I enjoy and I have ALWAYS been DPS on it. I pull 4-6k DPS on "normal" fights. Gimmicks like XT Heart / Hodir / Massive AoE fights can get me to crazy high levels.

I'm at least always competitive with the other DPS classes on the "normal" fights.

Angry Grimace

half a moon said:
I think I'd rather compare my dps to a DK fighting a heroic trianing dummy.

A guy in my guild in heroic naxx gear does 2.5k dps on the heroic training dummy. 3.2k in a 10man.

(He has 3062 attack power, 29.08% crit, 326 hit compared to my 2377 AP, 16% crit, 226 hit)

So no, I don't think I'm doing much wrong.

I'm finding places online that say you only need about 1.8k dps in 10man naxx. So, IMO, people seem to want over geared people to have cake walk runs in these elitist days.
If you want to have a bad attitude about it, then don't expect help. 1.3K DPS is indicative that you're doing something wrong. Death Knight is not a particularly gear dependent class; I was breaking 2.4K in Heroics the day I hit 80, and it's not like I had a big pile of Epics sitting there waiting for me. I went out of my way to type up a bunch of shit to help you; it's really rather rude to get all defensive that you're doing everything right when you clearly aren't.

It's not a vast conspiracy to fuck with your mind; people don't have fun when it's a wipefest. The fact is, your Glyphs are wrong; and whoever is telling you to secondary spec Frost is wrong.

Angry Grimace said:
If you want to have a bad attitude about it, then don't expect help. 1.3K DPS is indicative that you're doing something wrong. Death Knight is not a particularly gear dependent class.
Look at this guys gear. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Acaciaa

He's considered to be a good dpser. He told me he does 2.5k on a heroic test dummy.

You guys are implying I'm an unskilled player and that I'm doing something wrong.

It makes no sense that I'm supposed to do 500 damage less than this guy in naxx & heroic naxx gear on a heroic test dummy.

I may have a hateful attitude but it's because I don't appreciate you guys subtly insulting me with flawed logic.

Angry Grimace

half a moon said:
Look at this guys gear. http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Acaciaa

He's considered to be a good dpser. He told me he does 2.5k on a heroic test dummy.

You guys are implying I'm an unskilled player and that I'm doing something wrong.

It makes no sense that I'm supposed to do 500 damage less than this guy in naxx & heroic naxx gear on a heroic test dummy.

I may have a hateful attitude but it's because I don't appreciate you guys subtly insulting me with flawed logic.
If I walk up to the H-dummy, I'm going to do around 3K DPS.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Echo+Isles&n=Eviluramaki

It makes plenty of sense; because you're flat out wrong about how DPS works; It's not unreasonable to expect you to do 500 damage less than that player because it's just wrong that that gear is some kind of magic deal breaker to hit 2000 DPS on a single target. The fact is, I was hitting 2.2K the day I hit 80.

The only way you're doing everything "right" and getting 1.3K DPS on a heroic dummy is if you forgot to summon your ghoul and don't have Horn up, etc.

Eric WK

Yeah, I'm leveling Elemental with QVT (Boomkin) and holy shit, it's ridiculous. We're at 74 right now and I can't imagine how fast we're going to be once I get Lava Burst.

This week I picked up Leggings of the Stoneweaver, Ambraces of the Vibrant Flame and a Titanium Spellshock Ring to equip right at 80.

Quake1028

Fact: If you go into Heroics doing 1.2 or 1.3k as a DK, people will bitch at you. That's the way it's going to be. If you are fine with that, have at it.

And honestly, doesn't 3.5kdps from a Naxx Heroic geared DK seem a bit low anyway? I have no experience there yet, but I know people report getting into the 4 and 5k's, don't they?

Angry Grimace

Gloomfire said:
Fact: If you go into Heroics doing 1.2 or 1.3k as a DK, people will bitch at you. That's the way it's going to be. If you are fine with that, have at it.

And honestly, doesn't 3.5kdps from a Naxx Heroic geared DK seem a bit low anyway? I have no experience there yet, but I know people report getting itn
No. But it depends on makeup really; he's not saying H-Naxx; the guy he linked is Heroic dungeon/Naxx 10 geared.

You have to remember that DPS that people report all excitedly is usually some kind of distorted figure based on things like 50 second fights bolstered by Heroism and haste pots, etc., or just a spreadsheet model that doesn't take into account that very little of boss fights are 100% burn periods.

Once you get into Ulduar, that's on the low end of DPS, but then again, very few guilds are 100% top flight players though.

Lain

I love the new ne cats, and as usual I like the black texture the best. Hope it'll match the black bear and a hair color I like.

Kai

So I just got my 4 piece bonus from Tier 8 gear last night!

I am now doing between 5-6K DPS... I love Arcane baby!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Black+Dragonflight&n=Quai

My main question now is whether to equip Sash of Ancient Power or Embrace of the Leviathan. RAWR has Embrace as a slight dps advantage, but MAXDPS says Sash of Ancient Power is more dps. With the Sash I gain 17 Spell power, with Embrace I gain about 1% Crit.....

Here is my bad boy Quai (I hate that Tier 8.5 chest is a Tunic and not a robe):

Quai.jpg

Angry Grimace

As a caster in the early 60s, I have to note how horribly inbalanced the common quality green gems have made the early 60 blue equipment from Hellfire, etc. that have 2 to 3 sockets :lol

I have my doubts that you're supposed to stack 70+ Spell Power on a level 60 dungeon drop.

I hope my guild can down Freya and Mimiron tonight in my absence.......maybe they can even get the General........it would be nice for when I raid on Sunday to just unload on the General or Yogg :D

Stanley Cup finals > raiding

firex

Angry Grimace said:
As a caster in the early 60s, I have to note how horribly inbalanced the common quality green gems have made the early 60 blue equipment from Hellfire, etc. that have 2 to 3 sockets :lol

I have my doubts that you're supposed to stack 70+ Spell Power on a level 60 dungeon drop.
Bear in mind green northrend gems have more spell power than epic TBC gems, so you can get some absurd stats using northrend gems in outland gear. Unless you are talking about regular TBC gems, in which case I can merely say outland is an absurd jump in power for casters from vanilla WoW.

Xabora

Kai said:
So I just got my 4 piece bonus from Tier 8 gear last night!

I am now doing between 5-6K DPS... I love Arcane baby!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Black+Dragonflight&n=Quai

My main question now is whether to equip Sash of Ancient Power or Embrace of the Leviathan. RAWR has Embrace as a slight dps advantage, but MAXDPS says Sash of Ancient Power is more dps. With the Sash I gain 17 Spell power, with Embrace I gain about 1% Crit.....

Here is my bad boy Quai (I hate that Tier 8.5 chest is a Tunic and not a robe):

Quai.jpg
I've always like my mage robeless... tried so hard in classic to keep from getting a robe.
But that darn Arcanist Set was so tempting. :lol

Got my new card in. :D
Now with 185 drivers.
http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_ambientocclusion_home.html

WoW + SSAO = :eek:
wow.GIF

Angry Grimace

firex said:
Bear in mind green northrend gems have more spell power than epic TBC gems, so you can get some absurd stats using northrend gems in outland gear. Unless you are talking about regular TBC gems, in which case I can merely say outland is an absurd jump in power for casters from vanilla WoW.
I was referring to the green-quality gems from WotLK, which of course have no level restrictions; and cost virtually nothing. I probably have 30 bloodstones and if I get any perfects, that's 12-14 spell power each. A lot of the early Blood Furnace caster stuff has 2 or 3 slots on them; which ends up making my guy have stupid high spell power for Outlands.

etiolate

Banned
rhfb said:
Do enhancement until Outlands, the gear for elemental sucks in vanilla. Enhancement is also super fast to level.

ALSO!

You get to play as godmode as Enhancement in 30-50 PvP. From then it dies down until around 60s where you respec as Ret Pally or DK to for godmode again.

hold on

wait a sec...

where you respec as Ret Pally or DK

fuuuuuuu.png

Xabora

Ugh, my current guild has the most convoluted outdated DKP system. >_<
Not even fair to other members since anyone can DKP Whore.

Acid08

Banned
So I've been waiting a fucking hour to get into Aggramar and this shit just keeps fluctuating my queue number and estimated time. What the fuck do I do? Forgive me, I'm new to the game.

Angry Grimace said:

Heh I know what you mean. I finally dragged my old hunter out of the broom closet thanks to heirloom gear. I got these mail leggings in Hellfire Peninsula with 3 sockets and quickly loaded them up with cheap-o Wrath agility green gems and my crit ballooned.

Quake1028

So, I finally got the Sundial of the Exiled. What do you guys think about dropping Glyph of Molten Armor for Glyph of Improved Scorch?

zam

Killed yogg again last night, and this time I had more dkp so I got the t8.5 shoulders, full conqueror's now :D 4pc bonus for rogues is so awesome

Hey, would anyone be interested in RAFing with me? I just have a few toons left I want to level up real fast.

If you have an account your trying to level some toons on, know enough about WoW that I'm not explaining everything to you constantly, and want to level a few toons quickly on Burning Blade US, please PM me.

Quake1028

My main is stuck. I got d/c when logging into H UK, and now my location is blank and it just hangs on the loading screen. I opened a GM ticket on my alt.

Angry Grimace

Leveling on my priest is going awfully fast :lol

Almost to 62. Should ding 80 by July :lol

Do I really need three 80s?

Picked up the individual cards for the Prisms Deck for said priest, although I may simply sell the card after the Faire this week for a profit (the cards themselves are now BoE).

Gloomfire said:
My main is stuck. I got d/c when logging into H UK, and now my location is blank and it just hangs on the loading screen. I opened a GM ticket on my alt.
It's a problem with logging your character out at the server level.

All you have to/can do is wait it out. If it's like what happens to me occassionally, you'll see that when you log in on your alt, your main is still considered in the game; this is why it won't let you in. Just wait until it pops out a notice that "[Main] has gone offline."

You can then log in.

Angry Grimace

funkmastergeneral said:
Wow. The Charred Vale in Stonetalon may be the absolute worst spot to quest there is.
I can't say I don't love the luxury of using my GF's moonkin to run in and blow all the quest mobs up with AoE :lol

Quake1028

Angry Grimace said:
Leveling on my priest is going awfully fast :lol

Almost to 62. Should ding 80 by July :lol

Do I really need three 80s?

Picked up the individual cards for the Prisms Deck for said priest, although I may simply sell the card after the Faire this week for a profit (the cards themselves are now BoE).

It's a problem with logging your character out at the server level.

All you have to/can do is wait it out. If it's like what happens to me occassionally, you'll see that when you log in on your alt, your main is still considered in the game; this is why it won't let you in. Just wait until it pops out a notice that "[Main] has gone offline."

You can then log in.

Now on the WoW forums it says "account is inactive". Wut?

Now it's back. Lemme go check to see if it's fixed.

Angry Grimace

Gloomfire said:
Now on the WoW forums it says "account is inactive". Wut?

Now it's back. Lemme go check to see if it's fixed.
Maybe you forgot to pay your bill

Angry Grimace

keeblerdrow said:
Then you haven't been to Azshara, sir.
Literally never set foot in that zone. :lol

Also never seen Ghostlands, the Hinterlands, Feralas; and only hit Felwood for the first time last week.

Has anyone ever noticed that the Blade's Edge Mountains look a bit like what I imagine that a dog's body looks like to a flea?

Angry Grimace

Xabora said:
Blizz updated the Cat Models with additional Flair, due to people complaining that they were so bland.
OMFG WIN

I wish they really would put Sailor Moon cosplay cat in

PatzCU

funkmastergeneral said:
Wow. The Charred Vale in Stonetalon may be the absolute worst spot to quest there is.

The Charred Vale reminds me of Ruins of Kunark for some reason. Very old school part of WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom