• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaLiancY

Tamanon said:
I for one am shocked that people would complain about something in WoW.

I get what you mean but this is gazillion times better than that old piece of shit and we get "....It's eyes are too small despite I'll look at its spine a good porition of the raid."

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
VaLiancY said:
I get what you mean but this is gazillion times better than that old piece of shit and we get "....It's eyes are too small despite I'll look at its spine a good porition of the raid."

You think that's bad? People are complaining because the new tauren cat forms have horns and have a bull face.

OMG really? A TAUREN cat form have horns and a bull face? No way.

Just watch when the NE cat form will be revealed.

"OMG dont put long ears and glowy eyes on my night elves cat form fuckin Blizz"

VaLiancY

Tamanon said:
I know, but folks'll bitch about everything:p

And those cat forms for Taurens look badass, almost make me want to level one!

I got a level 54 Druid which looks pretty interesting about now. This may sound weird but I suck at leveling, I get tired so quick and go do BGs on my main.

Lain

The black cat looks the best to me, but the other cats aren't bad either. Not that it matters too much, I only have a lvl 28 NE druids, I can't stand taurens and after leveling a tauren druid to 30 in Classic WoW I don't want to redo it. Mulgore is the most boring zone ever, only followed by The Barrens.

firex

Lain said:
The black cat looks the best to me, but the other cats aren't bad either. Not that it matters too much, I only have a lvl 28 NE druids, I can't stand taurens and after leveling a tauren druid to 30 in Classic WoW I don't want to redo it. Mulgore is the most boring zone ever, only followed by The Barrens.
luckily there's a druid trainer in silvermoon for tauren druids. They can level up in the new hotness and not even have to go back to the old world to train.

Chris R

firex said:
luckily there's a druid trainer in silvermoon for tauren druids. They can level up in the new hotness and not even have to go back to the old world to train.
Unlike Shamans.... fuck that shit :<

firex

When I leveled my shaman, I just leveled enough in durotar for the earth totem quest, then went to eversong and ghostlands until fire totem, and then went back and trained, and then just went back to ghostlands and only trained again at like level 16 or 20, I forget. but yeah, it's a pain in the ass for any non-druid, non-blood elf class.

Chris R

But I still leveled every one of my characters (well except dk) on my current account through there. Quests are just so easy, and you get to level 22 without trying.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
half a moon said:
What stats does a dk need for heroics?

I'm unholy, I have 20k health, 161 hit, 1910 ap, 17.59% crit.
It's not really an answerable question as framed.

If you're a tank, that's completely untenable.

As a DPS, it's not great, but you can easily tackle H VH, H UK and H Nexus in virtually any gear at all as long as you can follow your rotation. However, I'd make sure you have the best cheap craftables you can get (i.e. unless you have epic alternatives, you should have the Vengeance Bindings, etc.); there's no excuse to not rock a Spiked Titansteel Helm with a Chaotic Skyflare in it; you can pass on the Spiked Treads to level EB rep for the Death Inured Sabatons instead. Keep HoW up, it's a free 310 AP. Although it can be pricey, start farming/buy/killing to get a Titansteel Destroyer. The hit rating is awesome and there's nothing remotely comparable in heroics; the only 2H epic has Haste rating, which kind of sucks.

Feel free to post an armory. There's virtually no gearset that can't be fixed relatively cheaply to the point of at least entering heroics in WotLK.

Angry Grimace said:
It's not really an answerable question as framed.

If you're a tank, that's completely untenable.

As a DPS, it's not great, but you can easily tackle H VH, H UK and H Nexus in virtually any gear at all as long as you can follow your rotation. However, I'd make sure you have the best cheap craftables you can get (i.e. unless you have epic alternatives, you should have the Vengeance Bindings, etc.); there's no excuse to not rock a Spiked Titansteel Helm with a Chaotic Skyflare in it; you can pass on the Spiked Treads to level EB rep for the Death Inured Sabatons instead. Keep HoW up, it's a free 310 AP. Although it can be pricey, start farming/buy/killing to get a Titansteel Destroyer. The hit rating is awesome and there's nothing remotely comparable in heroics; the only 2H epic has Haste rating, which kind of sucks.

Feel free to post an armory. There's virtually no gearset that can't be fixed relatively cheaply to the point of at least entering heroics in WotLK.
Dps. I was practicing on a heroic dummy, and got 1.3k dps over 7 minutes.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Catbus
I dinged 80 a week ago.

Quake1028

We were looking for a tank to complete our H Nexus group and a DK popped into LFG as a tank. We got him summoned, and buffed he had under 19,500 HP. He was insistent that he was a tank.

Gloomfire said:
We were looking for a tank to complete our H Nexus group and a DK popped into LFG as a tank. We got him summoned, and buffed he had under 19,500 HP. He was insistent that he was a tank.

That's as much as my priest has buffed

Macattk15

Gloomfire said:

I have over 30k HP as a DPS Warrior buffed .... wish Blizz would stop budgeting Stam as high as they do on Plate.

lexi

Banned
Anybody here running 10man Sarth 3D zergs with any regularity? I'm running a few for no reason other then to try and best our previous times and for the drake mount.

Down to 64 seconds as of today.

usea said:
Not quite true. Feral (cat) Druids actually gain more dps from at least agility and armor pen than hit, since they get decent energy refund on missed specials and white damage is a relatively low percentage of their damage. Every cat model supports this, including rawr. My druid is like 140 hit rating under the cap, but I'd lose dps by swapping my agility gems to hit gems (regardless of socket bonus).

Melee damage (white hits) often is the majority of my damage as a cat.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The Nerd Herd (Ensidia) downed Algalon last night, which presumably will fire up the "lol Ulduar is too easy" train.

Angry Grimace

half a moon said:
Dps. I was practicing on a heroic dummy, and got 1.3k dps over 7 minutes.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Akama&n=Catbus
I dinged 80 a week ago.
Well the problem with the Heroic dummy is that you're looking at a lot of misses with it since the miss rate climbs pretty high on the Skull Dummy. A few suggestions:

1.3K DPS seems quite low, even considering that. Your spec is good within the Unholy tree, but it's relatively uncommon to see the second tree dipping into Frost rather than Blood. It would be a bigger damage increase to simply put those 10 extra points into Blood for 2H Weapon Specialization and Bladed Armor. The reason being that Bladed Armor will affect all of your attacks, as will 2H Weapon Spec. Black Ice affects Icy Touch and Scourge Strike (which overall are less than 40% of your dmg output) and Runic Power Mastery is nigh useless given that Unholy almost never has a situation in which you are RP capped because there's plenty of time to dump it.

Also, your Glyphs are not optimal for PvE content. For Unholy, you really should be running:

*Glyph of Scourge Strike
*Glyph of the Ghoul (which you have)
*Glyph of Dark Death

Gear: for the most part, you can sneak away with craftable gear, but the PvP blue set is not loaded with STR by anymeans. The Vengenace Bindings (which I strongly suggest you farm the cheap mats for and pay a BS to forge), and the Spiked Titansteel Helm are almost mandatory. Also, you need to start enchanting your gear with at LEAST the second line enchants. You don't NEED to bust out the most expensive version, but there are lower level WotLK chants that will help.

Your rotation should be:

PS IT BS BS SS RP (meaning Unholy Blight if it's not up, Death Coil otherwise)

When your runes start to refresh:

SS SS SS (Death Coils)

The Glyph of Scourge Strike has a 25% chance of refreshing your Frost Fever and Blood Plague on the target. If it procs during the second part of the rotation, your next rotation will be:

SS SS BS BS (RP)

then:

SS SS SS (RP)

Start over with the first line (PS IT) if the Glyph doesn't proc again, but continue on SSing otherwise.

Angry Grimace

Gloomfire said:
Algalon 25 you mean? Supposedly Algalon with 0 Watchers is mathematically impossible currently.
Wat?

Algalon doesn't have any "watchers." That's Yogg-Saron that has watchers. Algalon is the super hard mode only boss that has 1 hour per week per attempt (although you can practice on 10 man mode of course, which they had been doing)

Quake1028

Angry Grimace said:
Wat?

Algalon doesn't have any "watchers." That's Yogg-Saron that has watchers. Algalon is the super hard mode only boss that has 1 hour per week per attempt (although you can practice on 10 man mode of course, which they had been doing)

Sorry I was at work and rushing. Of course you are correct.

Lain

Angry Grimace said:
The Nerd Herd (Ensidia) downed Algalon last night, which presumably will fire up the "lol Ulduar is too easy" train.

They have killed the 10 man version what, last week (or 2 weeks ago' I don't remember)? If people wanted to start that up again, wouldn't they have done it already?

Angry Grimace

Lain said:
They have killed the 10 man version what, last week (or 2 weeks ago' I don't remember)? If people wanted to start that up again, wouldn't they have done it already?
Because this time they killed Algalon on 25 man. Algalon-10 is supposedly significantly easier than 25, as it should be. Blizzard has already said it was never intended that Sartharion 3D be more difficult on 10 than 25, nor that Naxx-25 generally be the same difficulty (or easier) than Naxx 10. I don't know though. Having been busy rerolling, I haven't gotten into Ulduar yet, but I personally found Naxx to be very easy on both 25 and 10.

Angry Grimace

Gloomfire said:
So, what's the most useful thing I can buy with Honor Points and Wintergrasp Medals, considering that outside of WG I don't PVP.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42129 <--- 95 hit rating

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42130 <--- 95 Haste

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42132 <--- 110 Spell Power

:)

Good stop gaps if you do not PvP and want something with SOME PvE value. I have one on my DK, as I wanted something with some AP to free up my Dragon's Eye's to use elsewhere. The on use health is more useful than you'd think in certain places.

Also, you can get shoulder and head enchants with Spell Power and resil on them. ONLY buy those with SK Shards if you don't have enough rep yet for the regular PvE ones from Kirin Tor/Sons of Hodir.

Angry Grimace said:
Well the problem with the Heroic dummy is that you're looking at a lot of misses with it since the miss rate climbs pretty high on the Skull Dummy. A few suggestions:

1.3K DPS seems quite low, even considering that. Your spec is good within the Unholy tree, but it's relatively uncommon to see the second tree dipping into Frost rather than Blood. It would be a bigger damage increase to simply put those 10 extra points into Blood for 2H Weapon Specialization and Bladed Armor. The reason being that Bladed Armor will affect all of your attacks, as will 2H Weapon Spec. Black Ice affects Icy Touch and Scourge Strike (which overall are less than 40% of your dmg output) and Runic Power Mastery is nigh useless given that Unholy almost never has a situation in which you are RP capped because there's plenty of time to dump it.

Also, your Glyphs are not optimal for PvE content. For Unholy, you really should be running:

*Glyph of Scourge Strike
*Glyph of the Ghoul (which you have)
*Glyph of Dark Death

Gear: for the most part, you can sneak away with craftable gear, but the PvP blue set is not loaded with STR by anymeans. The Vengenace Bindings (which I strongly suggest you farm the cheap mats for and pay a BS to forge), and the Spiked Titansteel Helm are almost mandatory. Also, you need to start enchanting your gear with at LEAST the second line enchants. You don't NEED to bust out the most expensive version, but there are lower level WotLK chants that will help.

Your rotation should be:

PS IT BS BS SS RP (meaning Unholy Blight if it's not up, Death Coil otherwise)

When your runes start to refresh:

SS SS SS (Death Coils)

The Glyph of Scourge Strike has a 25% chance of refreshing your Frost Fever and Blood Plague on the target. If it procs during the second part of the rotation, your next rotation will be:

SS SS BS BS (RP)

then:

SS SS SS (RP)

Start over with the first line (PS IT) if the Glyph doesn't proc again, but continue on SSing otherwise.
-I got the build recommendation from someone in game, and wowinsider.com
Unholy: This 0/10/61 DPS build is one of the top competitors for DPS and the one I'm personally sporting. While it may seem like sacrilige not to head into the Blood tree, the Unholy tree does enough shadow damage that Black Ice's new shadow damage multiplier wins out. In addition, having 130 runic power comes in handy when you're trying to unleash a Gargoyle and still have enough leftover for Unholy Blight and a couple Death Coils. In this build, you get Frost Fever and Blood Plague up, then keep the Scourge and Blood Strikes coming for as long as your glyphs keep refreshing the diseases, adding your runic power dumps as needful. One note of caution on this build: You'll be flying without Subversion, so you'll want to make sure you're aware of the extra threat.

-Yeah I've been meaning to fix my glyphs. I recently bought dual spec. The blood build was my leveling build. I put a few that I bought for 1g off AH 6 months ago in the slots cause I'm so low in money. Glyph of the Scourge Strike will obviously help me out on the rotation. I was following the one you listed, but I obviously had to reapply.

-I'll have the mats for the titansteel helm in a day.

-The saronite pvp gear had more strength, stam, and crit than my leveling greens and blues. And it took like 1 hour to farm the mats for the full set. Even though I have this pvpe set going on, I couldn't find anyone to run normal instances with.

Angry Grimace

half a moon said:
-I got the build recommendation from someone in game, and wowinsider.com

-Yeah I've been meaning to fix my glyphs. I recently bought dual spec. The blood build was my leveling build. I put a few that I bought for 1g off AH 6 months ago in the slots cause I'm so low in money. Glyph of the Scourge Strike will obviously help me out on the rotation. I was following the one you listed, but I obviously had to reapply.

-I'll have the mats for the titansteel helm in a day.

-The saronite pvp gear had more strength, stam, and crit than my leveling greens and blues. And it took like 1 hour to farm the mats for the full set.
Eh, the only shadow and frost damage are SS and IT. It only makes sense if you are getting an RP bonus from 4pc T7 if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. Start running some Heroics for upgrades, but the Vengeance Bindings I was talking about have cheap mats; it's just that people price them a lot on the AH as opposed to buying them; it's a few saronite and an eternal fire.

Angry Grimace said:
Eh, the only shadow and frost damage are SS and IT. It only makes sense if you are getting an RP bonus from 4pc T7 if you ask me, but whatever floats your boat. Start running some Heroics for upgrades, but the Vengeance Bindings I was talking about have cheap mats; it's just that people price them a lot on the AH as opposed to buying them; it's a few saronite and an eternal fire.
I'm not trying to defend the build, just telling you my reference. I'm going to change it.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I'll craft those bindings too.

So, is 1.4ish dps alright for all heroics?

Xabora

Posted this at EJ, so I figured I would repost it here because people find it useful.
http://elitistjerks.com/f15/t40955-wow_performance_issues_tweaks_etc/p14/#post1264348

Goatbert said:
That reminds me - with the new 'ultra' setting, are there still other config variables you can further increase to improve the look of wow? I remember there was a set of them people used to increase visual quality but I can't seem to find it at the moment. Guess I'll go poking through Console variables - WoWWiki - Your guide to the World of Warcraft or something.

This is the old list I created when I was in the WoTLK Beta.
Ardhavara said:
Simple, but this should allow you to tweak your settings a bit easier.

Make sure you have "/console shadowlod 0" set for the 1st 3 macros.

HIGH:
/console overridefarclip 1
/console farclip 1600
/console horizonfarclip 6226
/console groundeffectdensity 256
/console groundeffectdist 140
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 3
/console characterAmbient
/console extshadowquality 4
/console environmentDetail 2

MED:
/console overridefarclip 1
/console farclip 1450
/console horizonfarclip 2112
/console groundeffectdensity 128
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 2
/console extshadowquality 3
/console environmentDetail 1.5

LOW:
/console overridefarclip 0
/console farclip 1277
/console groundeffectdensity 96
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 1
/console extshadowquality 2
/console environmentDetail 1

NOTE - Make sure you type "/console shadowlod 1" for the following settings.

DEFAULT: - Default for WoTLK
/console farclip 1277
/console groundeffectdensity 64
/console groundeffectdist 70
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 0
/console characterAmbient 0
/console extshadowquality 0
/console environmentDetail 1

LOWEST: - Equiv to Classic WoW / TBC
/console farclip 777
/console groundeffectdensity 32
/console groundeffectdist 35
/console smallcull 0
/console skycloudlod 0
/console characterAmbient 0
/console extshadowquality 0
/console environmentDetail 0.5

Additional Tweaks:
-ENGINE-
m2Faster - Adds additional threads used in rendering models on screen (0 = no additional threads, 1 - 3 = adds additional threads to the WoW Client)
Note: If you have a Duel Core or Quad Core System (Multi-Processor too) this will show an increase in performance in situations with lots of models and players/npcs on screen.

-SHADERS-
ffx - Global Shader Control (0 disables all on screen effects, 1 enables them)
ffxRectangle - Renders effects on a rectangle based polygon (0 for Off, 1 for On)
ffxGlow - Bloom/Screen Glow and Underwater Wave effect (0 for Off, 1 for On)
ffxDeath - Death World Screen Glow, Greyish Blue (0 for Off, 1 for On)
ffxNetherworld - Mage Invis Spell Effect (0 for Off, 1 for On)
ffxSpecial - Borean Tundra or DK Starter Area Eye Haze (0 for Off, 1 for On)

fixedfunction - This forces the pixel shaders in the game to run on the SM 1.1 path. (1 for FF Shaders, 0 for Programable Shaders)
For some older machines they will receive a decent speed boost.

hwPCF - Enables a new type of terrain based shadow rendering method. (0 for Off, 1 for On)

Example usage is:
/console ffxNetherworld 0

/console CharacterAmbient
0 = Default basic ambient lighting on characters.
0.1 - 1.0 controls how bright this ambient lighting is.
1.0 is equiv to when you click a character and they fully highlight.
No Value disables all character model ambient lighting so when they do light up from an external light source it looks far better and not washed out.

-Fog Changes in 8905-
It seems like certain zones have a fog limit.
Where it'll draw the fog from this point on no matter what the setting is for Farclip, but will continue to draw terrain behind the fog to the point I have set.
World of Warcraft - English (NA) Forums ->

Recent CVAR additions:
componentCompress - Character component texture compression (Works well, however seems to have side-effects [0 to Disable Compression, 1 to Enable/Default])
componentThread - Multi thread character component processing (Works like m2Faster)
componentTextureLevel - Number of mip levels used for character component textures (8 is default, 9 is for 'High Resolution Textures')
textureCacheSize - Texture cache size in bytes. (Default: 33554432 Max: 536870912)

Quake1028

I went ahead and did the head slot enchant from Kirin Tor. Now the only thing I'm missing being enchanted I think is my shoulders, but I don't have rep for that yet.

Quake1028

half a moon said:
So, is 1.4ish dps alright for all heroics?

It's on the low end, and depending on your group, people might bitch at you. Your gear upgrades should help, and you should be pushing 2k in no time.

I thought DK dps was on par with other DPS classes.

I have a mage friend of mine. I imported his char data into the Rawr program. I then upgraded his gear to the highest damaged gear in the program. It says he could do 5156.81 dps.

I did the same thing to my char, and it says my DK could only do 2623 DPS.

I'm talking about heroic uldar gear here.

Xabora

half a moon said:

I have a mage friend of mine. I imported his char data into the Rawr program. I then upgraded his gear to the highest damaged gear in the program. It says he could do 5156.81 dps.

Just dumping gear on the character won't do much. :lol
You need to add, spec, rotations, buffs, etc etc to actually see proper data.
Or as close as simulated data can get.

Xabora said:
Just dumping gear on the character won't do much. :lol
You need to add, spec, rotations, buffs, etc etc to actually see proper data.
Or as close as simulated data can get.
I am.

Moving on to a DK vs DK comparison:

If you have Rawr compare Catbus (Akama) to Grantrue (Akama).

It doesn't make since to me that in heroic naxx gear it only shows him at 2.3k and I'm suppsoed to push 2k in pre-naxx gear.

Xabora

half a moon said:
I am.

Moving on to a DK vs DK comparison:

If you have Rawr compare Catbus (Akama) to Grantrue (Akama).

It doesn't make since to me that in heroic naxx gear it only shows him at 2.3k and I'm suppsoed to push 2k in pre-naxx gear.
Ahh ok, well there is one thing it doesn't account for: Skill.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
half a moon said:

I'm doing 1.3dps on my 73 paladin. you're doing something wrong.

Tamanon

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
What stats should I be looking for as a elemental shaman leveling up?

Int Spellpower Crit. Typical caster stuff. Maybe Stam too since you're going to be doing a bit more melee than a mage.

Chris R

funkmastergeneral said:
What stats should I be looking for as a elemental shaman leveling up?
Do enhancement until Outlands, the gear for elemental sucks in vanilla. Enhancement is also super fast to level.

Had a very good night tonight

Downed FL, Razor, Ignis, XT, Kola, Auriaya, hodir and Thorim

All one shots except a 3 shot on Thorim for our 2nd time downing him

I picked up the T8.5 helm for almost min DKP since everyone else used their emblems for it already haha, that allowed me to use my emblems for a new belt and to wear Uld-25 shoulders instead of the T8 ones I had and still maintain 4 pc t8.5 :)

Upgraded my stats very nicely, now the 7th or 10th best geared rogue on Eredar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom